Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Blackbird, Common Blackbird, Eurasian Blackbird
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hebrew:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Russian:
Chyorny Drozd, Черный дрозд
Common Names in Spanish:
Common Names in Swedish:
About 9.8 to 10.5 inches long, with a wingspan of 15 to 16 inches. Adults weigh about 4 ounces .
List of Habitats
- 1 Forest
- 1.1 Forest - Boreal
- 1.4 Forest - Temperate
- 1.9 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Montane
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.4 Shrubland - Temperate
- 3.8 Shrubland - Mediterranean-type Shrubby Vegetation
- 4 Grassland
- 4.4 Grassland - Temperate
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.1 Artificial/Terrestrial - Arable Land
- 14.3 Artificial/Terrestrial - Plantations
- 14.4 Artificial/Terrestrial - Rural Gardens
- 14.5 Artificial/Terrestrial - Urban Areas [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- Order: Passeriformes () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superorder: Passerimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Turdus merula Linnaeus
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 24-Jun-1996
Members of the genus Turdus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 108 species and subspecies in this genus. Here are just 100 of them:
T. abyssinicus (Northern Olive Thrush) · T. abyssinicus abyssinicus (Northern Olive Thrush) · T. albicollis (White-Necked Thrush) · T. albicollis albicollis (White-Necked Thrush) · T. albocinctus (White-Collared Blackbird) · T. amaurochalinus (Creamy-Bellied Thrush) · T. assimilis (White-Throated Thrush) · T. assimilis assimilis (White-Throated Thrush) · T. aurantius (White-Chinned Thrush) · T. bewsheri (Comoros Thrush) · T. bewsheri bewsheri (Comoros Thrush) · T. boulboul (Gray-Winged Blackbird) · T. cardis (Japanese Grey Thrush) · T. cardis cardis (Japanese Grey Thrush) · T. celaenops (Seven Islands Thrush) · T. chiguanco (Chiguanco Thrush) · T. chiguanco chiguanco (Chiguanco Thrush) · T. chrysolaus (Brown Thrush) · T. chrysolaus chrysolaus (Brown-Headed Thrush) · T. dissimilis (Black-Breasted Thrush) · T. falcklandii (Austral Thrush) · T. falcklandii falcklandii (Austral Thrush) · T. feae (Gray-Sided Thrush) · T. flavipes (Yellow-Legged Thrush) · T. fulviventris (Chestnut-Bellied Thrush) · T. fumigatus (Cocoa Thrush) · T. fumigatus fumigatus (Cocoa Thrush) · T. fuscater (Great Thrush) · T. fuscater fuscater (Great Thrush) · T. grayi (Clay-Coloured Thrush) · T. grayi grayi (Clay-Coloured Thrush) · T. graysoni (Grayson's Thrush) · T. haplochrous (Unicoloured Thrush) · T. hauxwelli (Hauxwell's Thrush) · T. helleri (Taita Olive Thrush) · T. hortulorum (Gray-Backed Thrush) · T. ignobilis (Black-Billed Thrush) · T. iliacus (Red-Winged Thrush) · T. iliacus iliacus (Red-Winged Thrush) · T. infuscatus (Black Thrush) · T. jamaicensis (White-Eyed Thrush) · T. kessleri (White-Backed Thrush) · T. lawrencii (Lawrence's Thrush) · T. leucomelas (Pale-Breasted Thrush) · T. leucomelas leucomelas (Pale-Breasted Thrush) · T. leucops (Pale-Eyed Thrush) · T. lherminieri (Forest Thrush) · T. libonyanus (Kurrichane Thrush) · T. libonyanus libonyanus (Kurrichane Thrush) · T. ludoviciae (Somali Blackbird) · T. maculirostris (Ecuadorean Thrush) · T. maranonicus (Mara??n Thrush) · T. menachensis (Yemen Thrush) · T. merula (Eurasian Blackbird) · T. merula merula (Eurasian Blackbird) · T. migratorius (Rocky Mountain Robin) · T. migratorius achrusterus (American Robin) · T. migratorius migratorius (Robin) · T. migratorius propinquus (American Robin) · T. mupinensis (Mongolian Song Thrush) · T. naumanni (Naumann's Thrush) · T. naumanni naumanni (Naumann's Thrush) · T. nigrescens (Sooty Thrush) · T. nigriceps (Andean Slaty-Thrush) · T. nudigenis (Spectacled Thrush) · T. nudigenis nudigenis (American Bare-Eyed Thrush) · T. obscurus (Olive-Colored Thrush) · T. obscurus obscurus (Olive-Colored Thrush) · T. obsoletus (Pale-Vented Thrush) · T. obsoletus obsoletus (Pale-Vented Thrush) · T. olivaceofuscus (Gulf of Guinea Thrush) · T. olivaceofuscus olivaceofuscus (Gulf of Guinea Thrush) · T. olivaceus (Northern Olive Thrush) · T. olivaceus abyssinicus (Northern Olive Thrush) · T. olivaceus olivaceus (Olive Thrush) · T. olivater (Black-Hooded Thrush) · T. olivater olivater (Black-Hooded Thrush) · T. pallidus (Pale Thrush) · T. pelios (West African Thrush) · T. philomelos (Song Thrush) · T. philomelos philomelos (Song Thrush) · T. pilaris (Fieldfare) · T. plebejus (American Mountain Thrush) · T. plebejus plebejus (American Mountain Thrush) · T. plumbeus (Porto Rican Thrush) · T. plumbeus ardosiaceus (Red-Legged Thrush) · T. poliocephalus (Island Thrush) · T. poliocephalus poliocephalus (Guadalupe Rufous-Sided Towhee) · T. ravidus (Grand Cayman Thrush) · T. reevei (Plumbeous-Backed Thrush) · T. rubrocanus (Grey-Headed Thrush) · T. rubrocanus rubrocanus (Grey-Headed Thrush) · T. ruficollis (Black-Throated Thrush) · T. ruficollis ruficollis (Black-Throated Thrush) · T. rufitorques (Rufous-Collared Thrush) · T. rufiventris (Rufous-Bellied Thrush) · T. rufiventris rufiventris (Rufous-Bellied Thrush) · T. rufopalliatus (Rufous-Backed Thrush) · T. serranus (Glossy Black Thrush) · T. subalaris (Eastern Slaty Slaty Thrush)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- , 274 p.port.22 cm. url p. 6.
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url , .
- A List of British birds / London: John Van Voorst, 1883. url , .
- A List of birds' eggs in the collection of Mr. William Stoate, Wembdon, Bridgewater. [188-?] url p. 14.
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 5.
- A concise handbook of British birds / H. Kirke Swann. London: J. Wheldon, 1896. url p. 5.
- A dictionary of birds, London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 116, p. 249, p. 666.
- A dictionary of birds, by Alfred Newton, assisted by Hans Gadow, with contributions from Richard Lydekker. .. Charles S. Roy. .. and Robert W. Shufeldt. .. London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 116, p. 116, p. 191, p. 191, p. 42, p. 42, p. 666, p. 666.
- A geographic classification of Neotropical mammals. 36 1958 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1958. url p. 644.
- A glossary of Greek birds, by D'Arcy Wentworth Thomoson. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1895. url p. 101.
- A glossary of Greek birds. OxfordClarendon Press1895 url p. 101.
- A glossary of popular, local and old-fashioned names, of British birds; London: H. Sotheran & Co., 1902. url , p. 18, p. 31.
- A hand-book to the birds of Great Britain / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London: E. Lloyd, 1896-1897. url , p. 249.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 79.
- A handbook of British birds, showing the distribution of the resident and migratory species in the British islands, with an index to the records of the rarer visitants, London, J. van Voorst, 1872. url .
- A handbook of British birds: showing the distribution of the resident and migratory species in the British islands, with an index to the records of the rarer visitants / by J. E. Harting. London: J. van Voorst, 1872. url p. 12, p. 12.
- A handbook of European birds for the use of field naturalists and collectors. By James Backhouse. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1890. url p. 7.
- A handbook of the birds of Tasmania and its dependencies / by Frank Mervyn Littler. Launceston, Tasmania: F.M. Littler, 19l0. url p. 232.
- A handbook of the vertebrate fauna of Yorkshire: being a catalogue of British mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fishes / by Wm. Eagle Clarke, and Wm. Denison Roebuck. London: Reeve, 1881. url p. 18, p. 18.
- A handbook to the birds of Egypt, by G.E. Shelley. London: John Van Voorst, 1872. url p. 341.
- A handbook to the case arranged as an introduction to the study of birds' eggs / the Horniman Museum, Forest Hill, S.E. London: London County council, 1905? url p. 7.
- A history of British birds / by William Yarrell, V.P.L.S., F.Z.S. London: John van Voorst, 1871-1885. url p. 280, p. 280.
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. London, Pub. for the author by R. H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url p. 234, p. 235.
- A history of British birds. By the Rev. F. O. Morris. London, Groombridge and sons, [1851-57?] url .
- A history of British birds. London, J. Van Voorst, 1871-85. url p. 280.
- A history of the birds of Europe, not observed in the British Isles / by C. R. Bree. London: G. Bell & Sons, 1875-1876. url p. 154.
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url p. 12, p. 208, p. 210, p. 426.
- A list of British birds / compiled by a committee of the British Ornithologists' Union. London: J. van Voorst, 1883. url , p. 4.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url , p. 89.
- A list of European birds, including all those found in the western palaearctic area, with a supplement containing species said to have occurred, but which, for various reasons, are inadmissible. London, R.H. Porter, 1898. url p. 6.
- A list of European birds: including all species found in the western palaearctic region: the nomenclature carefully revised / by Henry E. Dresser. London: H.E. Dresser, 1881. url p. 6.
- A manual of palæarctic birds, by H. E. Dresser. London, The author, 1902-03. url , p. 10, p. 17, p. 7, p. 9.
- A monograph on the structure and development of the shoulder-girdle and sternum on the Vertebrata. By W. Kitchen Parker... London: R. Hardwicke, 1868. url p. 178, p. 237.
- A natural history of the nests and eggs of British birds. By the Rev. F.O. Morris. London, J.C. Nimmo, 1892. url p. 53.
- A pocket-book of British birds, by E.F.M. Elms. London: West, Newman & co. [etc.], 1906. url p. 3.
- A practical handbook of British birds, edited by H.F. Witherby. .. London, Witherby, 1920-24. url p. 389, p. 389, p. 418, p. 418.
- A sketch of Madeira: containing information for the traveller, or invalid visitor / by Edward Vernon Harcourt. London: John Murray, 1851. url p. 165.
- A student's text-book of zoology / by Adam Sedgwick. London: S. Sonnenschein and co.; 1898-1909. url p. 475.
- A student's text-book of zoology, by Adam Sedgwick. .. London, Macmillan Co., 1898-1909. url p. 475.
- A study of the incubation periods of birds; what determines their lengths, Denver, Col., The Kendrick-Bellamy Co., 1917. url , .
- A survey and record of Woolwich and West Kent containing descriptions and records, brought up-to-date, of geology, botany, zoology, archaeology and industries of the district, with a brief photographic commentary, in commemoration of the 12th Ann General editors, C.H. Grinling, T.A. Ingram [and] B.C. Polkinghorne. Woolwich: Labour Representation Print. Co., 1909. url p. 238.
- A text-book of agricultural zoology, and London, W. Blackwood and sons, 1913. url .
- A tour in Sutherlandshire, with extracts from the fieldbooks of a sportsman and naturalist. By Charles St. John... With woodcuts. London: J. Murray, 1849. url p. 336.
- A tour in Sutherlandshire: with extracts from the field-books of a sportsman and naturalist / with an Appendix on the fauna of Sutherland by J.A. Harvie-Brown and T.E. Buckley. Edinburgh, Douglas, 1884. url p. 336.
- A treatise on zoology / edited by E. Ray Lankester. London: A. & C. Black, 1900-1909. url p. 350.
- A treatise on zoology London, A. and C. Black, 1900-1909 url p. 350.
- A treatise on zoology. London, Adam and Charles Black, 1900-1909 url p. 350.
- A vertebrate fauna of the Orkney Islands / by Thomas E. Buckley and J.A. Harvie-Brown. Edinburgh: D. Douglas, 1891. url p. 94.
- A year with the birds / by W. Warde Fowler; with illustrations by Bryan Hook. London: Macmillan, 1891. url p. 263.
- A year with the birds, Oxford, B. H. Blackwell, 1886. url .
- A year with the birds, by W. Warde Fowler. .. With illustrations by Bryan Hook. London, New York: Macmillan and co., 1891. url p. 263.
- A year with the birds; by W. Warde Fowler. .. illustrations by Bryan Hook. London, Macmillan and co., limited, 1914. url p. 263.
- Abstract of proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng.]: South London Entomological and Natural History Society, [1885-1896] url p. 141, p. 210.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 298, p. 302, p. 40, p. 48, p. 50, p. 83.
- Advances in the study of mammalian behavior / edited by John F. Eisenberg and Devra G. Kleiman. [Stillwater, Okla.]: American Society of Mammalogists; 1983. url p. 94.
- Among British birds in their nesting haunts: illustrated by the camera / by Oswin A. J. Lee. Edinburgh: David Douglas, [1896-9?] url p. 125, p. 127.
- An Australian bird book: a pocket book for field use / by J. A. Leach; with introduction by Frank Tate; [photos by Ralph L. Miller; paintings by Ethel M. Paterson]. Melbourne: Whitcombe & Tombs, 1911. url p. 132, p. 132.
- An account of the flowering plants, ferns and allies of Harleston. With a sketch of the geology, climate, and natural characteristics of the neighbourhood. Compiled and edited by Francis William Galpin. To which are added Observations on the birds of the district, by Charles Candler. London, Bartlett, 1888. url p. 135.
- An illustrated dictionary of scientific terms. New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, pref. 1878. url p. 52.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 158, p. 173, p. 195, p. 195, p. 197, p. 52, p. 52, p. 77, p. 89.
- Anatomischer Anzeiger. Jena: G. Fischer, 1886- url p. 526, p. 527, p. 9.
- Annals of the South African Museum. Annale van die Suid-Afrikaanse Museum. Cape Town [etc., South African Museum, etc.] url p. 282.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. 1858 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url means of destroying the grasshopper , p. 126, p. 155, p. 214, p. 508, p. 95, p. 98, p. 99.
- Ardea. Amsterdam, etc., Nederlandse Ornithlogische Unie, etc. url p. 120, p. 26, p. 27, p. 31, p. 38, p. 63, p. 86.
- Aristotle's History of animals. In ten books. London, Bell, 1887. url p. 215.
- Austral avian record; a scientific journal devoted primarily to the study of the Australian avifauna. London: Witherby. url p. 117.
- Avian seed dispersal of neotropical gap-dependent plants / by Kelvin Gregory Murray. 1986. url p. 116.
- Bermuda: its history, geology, climate, products, agriculture, commerce, and government, from the earliest period to the present time; with hints to invalids. London, Smith, Elder and co., 1860. url .
- Bibliographia zoologiæ et geologiæ. A general catalogue of all books, tracts, and memoirs on zoology and geology. London, Ray society, 1848-54. url .
- Biologia centrali-americana: Aves / [London: R.H. Porter], 1879-1904. url , , .
- Bird life in arctic Norway: a popular brochure / by Robert Collett; translated by Alfred Heneage Cocks. London: H.R. Porter, 1894. url .
- Bird lore. New York City: Macmillan Co., c1899-c1940. url p. 191, p. 49.
- Bird notes. Brighton: Foreign Bird Club: 1902-1925. url p. 294.
- Bird-hunting through wild Europe / New York: D. Appleton, 1909. url .
- Bird-keeping. A practical guide for the management of singing and cage birds. By C. E. Dyson. London, F. Warne and co., 1889. url p. 53.
- Bird-life of the borders on moorland and sea, with faunal notes extending over forty years. By Abel Chapman. With coloured map, and numerous illustrations. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1907. url p. 192.
- Bird-lore. New York, National Association of Audubon Societies. url p. 191, p. 49.
- Birds / by A.H. Evans. London: Macmillan, 1899 (1909 printing). url p. 510, p. 632.
- Birds I have kept in years gone by: with original anecdotes and full directions for keeping them successfully / London: L. Upcott Gill. .., 1885. url .
- Birds from Moidart and elsewhere / [by] Mrs. Hugh Blackburn. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1895. url p. 43.
- Birds in their haunts, by the late C. A. Johns. London, E. P. Dutton, 1909. url .
- Birds of Britain, London, A. and C. Black, 1907. url .
- Birds of Britain, by J. Lewis Bonhote. .. with 100 illustrations in colour selected by H.E. Dresser from his Birds of Europe.' London: A. and C. Black, 1907. url p. 15.
- Birds of the British Empire / by Dr. W. T. Greene. London: Imperial Press, 1898. url p. 2.
- Birds of the Humber District / by John Cordeaux. London: Van Voorst, 1872. url p. 24.
- Birds useful and birds harmful, by Ottó Herman. .. and J. A. Owen. Manchester, University press, 1909. url .
- Birds; a miscellaneous collection of 37 pamphlets about birds. Collected and privately bound by Alvin Seale, 1914. v.p., 1910-1913 url p. 36, p. 66.
- Blood immunity and blood relationship; a demonstration of certain blood-relationships amongst animals by means of the precipitin test for blood, by George H. F. Nuttall...Including original researches by G. S. Graham-Smith...and T. S. P. Strangeways. Cambridge, University press, 1904. url p. 364.
- Boletim da Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais. Lisboa, Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais, 1908- url p. 137.
- Britain's birds and their nests / described by A. Landsborough Thomson; with introduction by J. Arthur Thomson, illustrated by George Rankin. London: W. & R. Chambers, 1910. url p. 311.
- British birds & their eggs: with a new method of identification / London: W. & R. Chambers, 1909. url .
- British birds in their haunts / by the Rev. C. A. Johns; with illustrations on wood, drawn by Wolf, engraved by Whymper. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1867. url p. 85.
- British birds in their haunts / edited, revised and annotated, by J.A. Owen; illustrated with 64 coloured plates (256 figures) by William Foster; with a glossary of common and provincial names and of technical terms. London: G. Routledge url p. 7.
- British birds in their haunts, by the late Rev. C.A. Johns. .. ed., rev., and annotated, by J.A. Owen. .. Illustrated with 64 coloured plates (256 figures) by William Foster. .. With a glossary of common and provincial names and te London, E.P. Dutton & Co., 1909. url p. 7.
- British birds in their haunts. .. Edited, revised, and annotated by J.A. Owen. .. Illustrated with 64 coloured plates by William Foster. With a glossary of common and provincial names and of technical terms. London, Dutton url p. 7.
- British birds with their nests and eggs, by Arthur G. Butler [and others] Illustrated by F. W. Frohawk. London, Brumby & Clarke[1896-98] url .
- British birds' eggs and nests, popularly described. .. S.l.s.n.pref. 1861 url p. 34.
- British birds, London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1921. url , p. 47.
- British birds, by W. H. Hudson, C.M.Z.S. With a chapter on structure and classification by Frank E. Beddard, F.R.S. With 8 coloured plates from original drawings by A. Thorburn and 8 plates and 100 figures in black London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1921. url , p. 47.
- British birds, by W.H. Hudson, C.M.Z.S. With a chapter on structure and classification by Frank E. Beddard, F. R.S. With 8 coloured plates from original drawings by A. Thorburn and 8 plates and 100 figures in black London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1895. url p. 47.
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 106, p. 113, p. 126, p. 143, p. 165, p. 189, p. 220, p. 222, p. 23, p. 28, p. 282, p. 289, p. 323, p. 44, p. 57, p. 75.
- British birds: key list. London, R. H. Porter, 1892. url p. 2.
- British birds: their haunts and habits. London, Printed for private distribution only, 1868. url p. 8.
- British journal of entomology and natural history. [London]: British Entomological and Natural History Society, 1988- url .
- British nesting birds: a complete record of every species which nests in the British Isles / by W. Percival Westell. London: J.M. Dent, 1910. url p. 17.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 137, p. 206, p. 41, p. 410, p. 418, p. 425, p. 448, p. 70, p. 70, p. 71, p. 90.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1970 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url fig. 36, p. 66.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 38.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 158, p. 203, p. 204, p. 209, p. 221, p. 238, p. 26, p. 307, p. 333, p. 333, p. 335, p. 339, p. 342, p. 343, p. 346, p. 347, p. 385.
- Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club. London: The Club, 1893- url , , p. 102, p. 104, p. 109, p. 134, p. 161, p. 162, p. 17, p. 172, p. 177, p. 180, p. 36, p. 48, p. 57, p. 71, p. 71, p. 81, p. 90.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 122 1960 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url fig. 5, page 376.
- By meadow, grove and stream: an introduction to nature study / by Henry Hilton Brown. .. London: Religious Tract Society, [1907?] url , p. 87.
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 56, p. 77.
- Carotenoids, by Paul Karrer and Ernst Jucker. Translated and rev. by Ernest A. Braude. New York, Elsevier Pub. Co., 1950. url p. 375.
- Cassell's book of birds: From the text of Dr. Brehm / London, Cassell, Petter and Galpin, [1875?] url , p. 312.
- Cassell's natural history. Ed. by P. Martin Duncan. .. London [etc]Cassell & Company, Limited, 1891-96. url p. 411.
- Catalogue of British Birds in the Collection of the British Museum / by G.R. Gray. London, 1863. url p. 76.
- Catalogue of British birds in the collection of the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the trustees, 1863. url .
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. by Charles E. Hellmayr. 13 1934 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1934. url p. 350, p. 351.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 1020, p. 265, p. 920, p. 945.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url , p. 265, p. 380, p. 945.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 235, p. 236.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 92.
- Catalogue of the birds of New Zealand with diagnoses of the species. By Frederick Wollaston Hutton. Wellington, N.Z., J. Hughes, printer, 1871. url p. 56.
- Catalogue of the birds of Suffolk, with an introduction and remarks on their distribution. London, J. Van Voorst, 1884-86. url p. 51.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British Museum (Natural History) London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 92.
- Catalogue of the genera and subgenera of birds contained in the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1855. url p. 43.
- Chambers's information for the people; edited by William and Robert Chambers. London, Chambers, 1884. url p. 174.
- Check-list and bibliography on the occurrence of insects in birds' nests. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 100, p. 111, p. 120, p. 125, p. 126, p. 127, p. 133, p. 137, p. 152, p. 155, p. 156, p. 157, p. 174, p. 182, p. 198, p. 199, p. 200, p. 222, p. 275, p. 278, p. 28, p. 288, p. 289, p. 293, p. 295, p. 296, p. 297, p. 298, p. 299, p. 30, p. 300, p. 301, p. 302, p. 31, p. 315, p. 316, p. 317, p. 32, p. 551, p. 552, p. 553, p. 630, p. 66, p. 67, p. 70, p. 71, p. 78, p. 83, p. 89, p. 94, p. 95.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 255, p. 256.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American Ornithologists' Union, 1895. url .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 430, p. 676.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 558, p. 808.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 189, p. 191.
- Coloured figures of the eggs of British birds: with descriptive notices / by Henry Seebohm; edited (after the author's death) by R. Bowdler Sharpe. Sheffield: Pawson and Brailsford, 1896. url p. 181.
- Comparative anatomy of vertebrates, adapted from the German of Dr. Robert Wiedersheim. .. by W. N. Parker. London, Macmillan and co., limited, 1907. url p. 369.
- Contributions to the biology of the Danish Culicid. København, A. F. Høst & søn, 1920-21. url p. 194.
- Contributions to the flora and fauna of Repton and neighbourhood. London, Bemrose, 1881. url p. 78.
- Controlled natural selection and value marketing, by J. C. Mottram. London, New York [etc.], Longmans, Green and Co., 1914. url p. 103, p. 120.
- Country rambles, and Manchester walks and wild flowers: being rural wanderings in Cheshire, Lancashire, Derbyshire, & Yorkshire, by Leo H. Grindon. Manchester, Palmer & Howe, 1882. url p. 266.
- Design in nature illustrated by spiral and other arrangements in the inorganic and organic kingdoms as exemplified in matter, force, life, growth, rhythms, &c., especially in crystals, plants, and ani London, Longman, Green, and co., 1908. url .
- Diseases and enemies of poultry / by Leonard Pearson and B.H. Warren. [Harrisburg, Pa.]: C.M. Busch, 1897. url p. 591.
- Effects of highways on wildlife and fish with special reference to Montana a ProCite literature collection / Bozeman, Mont.: Fish and Wildlife Management Program, Montana State University, 2001 url .
- Egyptian birds for the most part seen in the Nile valley, London, A. and C. Black, 1909. url .
- Egyptian birds: for the most part seen in the Nile Valley / by Charles Whymper. London: A. and C. Black, 1909. url p. 207.
- Elementary text-book of zoology. By Dr. C. Claus, tr. and ed. by Adam Sedgwick with the assistance of F. G. Heathcote. London, W. S. Sonnenschein, 1884-85. url p. 268.
- Elements of natural history: embracing zoology, botany and geology for schools, colleges and families / by W.S.W. Ruschenberger. Philadelphia: Claxton, Remsen & Haffelfinger, 1871 [c1850] url p. 50.
- Elements of the comparative anatomy of vertebrates / adapted from the German by W. Newton Parker with additions by the author and translator. London, MacMillan, 1886. url p. 107, p. xviii.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 281.
- Familiar wild birds / by W. Swaysland; with coloured plates. London; New York: Cassell, 1883. url p. 163.
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 159.
- Fifty common birds of China, n.p., 192-? url .
- Fleas, flukes & cuckoos; a study of bird parasites, by Miriam Rothschild and Theresa Clay. New York, Macmillan, 1957. url p. 285, p. 305.
- Flora of Marlborough; with notices of birds and a sketch of the geological features of the neighborhood. .. London, J. Van Voorst, 1863. url p. 104.
- General embryological information service. Utrecht, Hubrecht Laboratory. url p. 120, p. 161.
- Ground beetles (Carabidae) of Fennoscandia: a zoogeographic study / by Carl H. Lindroth; Joachim Adis, scientific editor. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1989- url p. 573.
- Guide to the Gallery of Birds in the Department of Zoology of the British Museum (Natural History). London: Printed by order of the Trustees [by Taylor and Francis], 1905. url p. 148.
- Guide to the gallery of birds in the Department of Zoology, British Museum (Natural History) LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees url p. 12.
- Hampstead Hill: its structure, materials and sculpturing / by J. Logan Lobley; with The flora of Hampstead, by Henry T. Wharton; The insect fauna of Hampstead, by F. A. Walker; and The birds of Hampstead, by J. Edmund Haring. London: Roper and Drowley, 1889. url p. 89.
- Hampstead Hill; its structure, materials, and sculpturing. With The flora of Hampstead by Henry T. Wharton; The insect fauna of Hampstead, by F.A. Walker; and The birds of Hampstead, by J. Edmund Harting. LondonRoper and Drowley1889 url p. 89.
- Hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. London, Allen, 1894-97. url , p. 249.
- Handbook for Southport: medical and general, with copious notices of the natural history of the district / edited by Edward Day McNicoll. Southport [Eng.]: R. Johnson, 1883. url p. 95.
- Handbook to the natural history of Cambridgeshire, ed. by J.E. Marr. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. Cambridge, University press, 1904. url p. 87.
- Handlist of the birds of Egypt by M.J. Nicoll. Cairo, Government Press, 1919. url .
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 265.
- Heligoland as an ornithological observatory; the result of fifty years' experience, Edinburgh, D. Douglas, 1895. url p. 253.
- History of animals in ten books. Translated by Richard Cresswell. London, G. Bell, 1902. url p. 314, p. 315.
- Homes without hands. Being a description of the habitations of animals, classed according to their principle of construction. By the Rev. J.G. Wood. .. With new designs by W.F. Keyl and E. Smith. Engraved by Messrs. Pearson. New York, Harper & Brothers, 1866. url p. 331.
- IUCN Directory of South Asian Protected Areas IUCN url p. 212.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url , p. 107, p. 109, p. 114, p. 118, p. 119, p. 136, p. 138, p. 139, p. 148, p. 15, p. 162, p. 162, p. 172, p. 180, p. 182, p. 196, p. 2, p. 215, p. 224, p. 234, p. 239, p. 242, p. 25, p. 27, p. 277, p. 279, p. 282, p. 282, p. 286, p. 288, p. 289, p. 292, p. 297, p. 299, p. 30, p. 314, p. 320, p. 329, p. 35, p. 358, p. 364, p. 37, p. 370, p. 381, p. 388, p. 397, p. 429, p. 438, p. 452, p. 459, p. 459, p. 459, p. 464, p. 475, p. 491, p. 514, p. 518, p. 551, p. 565, p. 57, p. 595, p. 597, p. 598, p. 60, p. 67, p. 67, p. 676, p. 679, p. 717, p. 721, p. 8, p. 81.
- Illustrated natural history of the animal kingdom, being a systematic and popular description of the habits, structure, and classification of animals from the highest to the lowest forms, with their r New-YorkDerby & Jackson1859 url p. 127.
- Index-catalogue of the birds in the Hancock collection. [Newcastle-upon-Tyne]Printed for the Natural History Society, 1899. url p. 45.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 104, p. 120, p. 124, p. 134, p. 45, p. 77, p. 80.
- Island life: or, the phenomena and causes of insular faunas and floras, including a revision and attempted solution of the problem of geological climates / London: Macmillan, 1911. url p. 249.
- Ixodidae / par L. G. Neumann. Berlin: R. Friedlander und sohn, 1911. url p. 142, p. 19.
- Ixodidae. BerlinR. Friedländer1911 url p. 142.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 171, p. 225, p. 336, p. 337, p. 479, p. 486, p. 654, p. 680.
- Johannes Müller on certain variations in the vocal organs of the Passeres that have hitherto escaped notice. The translation by F. Jeffrey Bell, edited, with and appendix by A.H. Garrod [with the 8 plates of the original work] Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1878. url p. 14.
- Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall. Truro, Eng., Workers of Cornwall Ltd. url p. 308, p. 75.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 292.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and Lower California Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1896. url p. 243.
- Lessons from nature, as manifested in mind and matter. London: Murray, 1876. url p. 317.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 415, p. 583.
- Life of a Scotch naturalist, Thomas Edward, associate of the Linnean Society by Samuel Smiles. .. portrait and illustrations by George Reid, R.S.A. London: J. Murray, 1877 url p. 398.
- List of the birds of North Wales, compiled for the use of Gymdeithas Llafar, Gwlad. .. Mold, 1891. url .
- List of the vertebrated animals living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London: Printed for the Society, 1862. url p. 50.
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London, Printed for the Society, 1896. url p. 217, p. 217.
- List of vertebrated animals living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. .. London, Printed for the Society, 1866. url p. 62.
- London birds and London insects and other sketches. London, H. Porter, 1892. url p. i.
- London birds, and other sketches. London: Arnold, 1902. url .
- Lord Lilford on birds: being a collection of informal and unpublished writings by the late president of the British Ornithologists' Union. With contributed papers upon falconry and otter hunting, his favourite sports. Edited by Aubyn Trevor-Battye and illustrated by Archibald Thorburn. London, Hutchinson, 1903. url p. 211, p. 239.
- Manual of British birds: including the essential characteristics of the orders, families, genera, and species. London: Printed for Adam Scott, 1846. url p. 125.
- Manual of the birds of Iceland / by Henry H. Slater. Edinburgh: D. Douglas, 1901. url p. 3, p. 3.
- Mind in animals. London: Freethought pub. co., 1880. url p. 18.
- Monitore zoologico italiano. [Siena]: Instituto anatomico della R. Università di Siena, [1890-1988] url p. 126.
- Monthly microscopical journal: transactions of the Royal Microscopical Society, and record of histological research at home and abroad. London, R. Hardwicke, 1869-1877. url p. 102, p. 105, p. 106, p. 107.
- My garden, its plan and culture together with a general description of its geology, botany, and natural history, London, Bell and Daldy, 1872. url .
- My life as a naturalist, by W. Percival Westell. London, Cecil Palmer and Hayward[c1918] url p. 91.
- Natural history of Selborne, and observations on nature / by Gilbert White; with the text and new letters of the Buckland edition; introduction by John Burroughs; illustrations by Clifton Johnson. Toronto: Musson Book Co., 1904. url p. 218.
- Natural history of the animal kingdom for the use of young people: in three parts, comprising I. Mammalia: II. Birds: Part III. Reptiles, amphibia, fishes, insects, worms, molluscs, zoophytes, &c.: with 91 coloured plates, including about 850 figures, and numerous adapted from the German of Professor von Schubert by W.F. Kirby. 1889 Brighton: E. & J.B. Young and Co., 1889. url plate XIII.
- Natural history. London, Printed by order of the Trustees of the British Museum, 1907-12. url .
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 163, p. 255, p. 534.
- Nomenclature of North American birds chiefly contained in the United States National Museum. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1881. url .
- Notes on sport and ornithology, by his imperial and royal highness the late crown prince Rudolph of Austria. Tr with the author's permission, by C. G. Danford. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1889. url p. 629.
- Notes on the birds of Herefordshire, contributed by members of the Woolhope Club. Collected and arranged by the late Henry Graves Bull.
- Notes on the birds of Northamptonshire and neighbourhood / Lord Lilford; illustrated by A. Thorburn and G.E. Lodge. London: Porter, 1895. url p. 98, p. 98.
- Notes on the birds of Rainham, including the district between Chatham and Sittingbourne. London, Curney & Jackson, 1894. url p. 21.
- Oologia neerlandica: eggs of birds breeding in the Netherlands / by A.A. van Pelt Lechner. The Hague: Nijhoff, 1910-1913 [i.e. 1911-1913]. url , p. 169, p. 174, p. 205, p. 404.
- Ootheca Wolleyana: an illustrated catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs, begun by the late John Wolley, jun.. .. and continued with additions, by the editor, Alfred Newton. .. London, sold by R. H. Porter, 1864-1907. url , p. 274, p. 276.
- Ootheca wolleyana: an illustrated catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs formed by by the late John Wolley, Jun. / edited from the original notes by Alfred Newton. London, J. Van Voorst, 1864-1907. url .
- Ornithological miscellany / 3 1878 London: Trübner and Co., Bernard Quaritch, R.H. Porter, 1876-1878. url p. 209, p. 320, p. 64.
- Ornithological rambles in Sussex: with a systematic catalogue of the birds of that county, and remarks on their local distribution / by A.E. Knox. London, J. Van Voorst, 1855. url p. 191.
- Ornithologisches Centralblatt. Leipzig: L.A. Kittler, 1876-82. url p. 107, p. 164, p. 27, p. 61.
- Ornithologist and oo?logist Pawtucket, R.I. url p. 70.
- Ornithology / by Alfred Newton. S.l.: s.n., 1884? url p. 48.
- Our Irish song birds / by Charles William Benson. Dublin: Hodges, Figgis; 1901. url p. 197.
- Our resident birds and how to know them / E.F.M. Elms. London: T. Butterworth,  url p. 17, p. 17.
- Parental care and its evolution in birds. Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1952. url p. 253.
- Pets: their history and care. With illus. from life. New YorkHolt1917 url p. 178, p. 372.
- Pets; their history and care, New York, H. Holt and company, 1917. url , .
- Pliny's Natural history. In thirty-seven books. A translation on the basis of that by Dr. Philemon Holland, edited 1601. .. Edited by the Wernerian club. [London]Printed for the Club by G. Barclay, 1847-49. url p. 212.
- Proceedings - Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society. Dorchester, Eng. url , , p. 156, p. 204.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 105, p. 135, p. 162, p. 165, p. 48.
- Proceedings of the International Ornithological Congress. [Canberra, etc.]Australian Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 168, p. 237, p. 938, p. 940, p. 951.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 141, p. 191, p. 380, p. 414.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, Natural History Society of Glasgow. url , , p. 137, p. 163, p. 238, p. 263, p. 280, p. 299, p. 95.
- Proceedings of the Royal Physical Society of Edinburgh. Edinburgh: The Society, 1858-1955 url p. 119, p. 396.
- Proceedings of the Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales. Mosman, New South Wales [etc.]The Society. url p. 13, p. 16, p. 25.
- Proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng]: South London Entomological and Natural history Society, [1897-1933] url p. 97.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 224, p. 438, p. 440, p. 454, p. 571, p. 602, p. 997.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 165.
- Rambles of a naturalist in Egypt & other countries. With an analysis of the claims of certain foreign birds to be considered British, and other ornithological notes. London, Jarrold[1876?] url .
- Recensio critica automatica of the doctrine of bird-migration, by Otto Herman. .. Budapest, Printed by order of the Royal Hungarian Ministry of Agriculture, 1905. url p. 51, p. 74.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 126, p. 133, p. 153, p. 155, p. 156.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. 1 1885 Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 365.
- Reptiles and birds, a popular account of their various orders: with a description of the habits and economy of the most interesting / by Louis Figuier; edited and adapted by Parker Gillmore. New York: D. Appleton, 1870. url p. 556, p. 558.
- Reptiles and birds. A popular account of the various orders; with a description of the habits and economy of the most interesting. Springfield, Mass., W.J. Holland[pref. 1869] url , p. 558.
- Review of American birds in the Museum of the Smithsonian Institution: pt. 1 / Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1864-1872. url .
- Review of American birds, in the Museum of the Smithsonian Institution. By S.F. Baird. Washington, Smithsonian Institution, 1864/72. url p. 13.
- Revised list of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological society of London. 1872. London, Printed for the Society,  url p. 125.
- Rural bird life of England: being essays on ornithology, with instructions for preserving objects relating to that science / New York: Werner Co., 1899, c1895. url .
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 223.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 579.
- Sex and internal secretions. Contributors: A. Albert [and others] Foreword by George W. Corner. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1961. url p. 1359, p. 1368, p. 1605.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 12 1874 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 13, p. 224, p. 24, p. 418, p. 42, p. 440, appendix, page 96.
- Social feeding behavior of birds. 36 1954 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1954. url p. 26.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 10, p. 131, p. 135, p. 281, p. 315, p. 45, p. 502, p. 553, p. 569, p. 594, p. 680, p. 71, p. 76.
- Spixiana. München: Zoologische Staatssammlung München, 1977- url p. 99.
- Stray feathers. Journal of ornithology for India and its dependencies. Calcutta: s.n., 1872-1899. url p. 409.
- Studies in bird migration, London, Gurney and Jackson; [etc., etc.]1912. url , .
- Studies in bird migration, by William Eagle Clarke. .. with maps, weather charts, and other illustrations. .. London, Gurney and Jackson; [etc., etc.]1912. url p. 273, p. 343, p. 49, p. 52.
- Territory in bird life / by H. Eliot Howard; with illustrations by G.E. Lodge, and H. Grönvold. London: Murray, 1920. url .
- Territory in bird life, by H. Eliot Howard, with illustrations by G. E. Lodge and H. Grönvold. New York, E. P. Dutton, 1920. url .
- Territory in bird life. London, J. Murray, 1920. url .
- Text book of zoology London, Sampson Low, Marston, 1896. url .
- Text-book of zoology; treated from a biological standpoint, by Dr. Otto Schmeil; tr. from the German by Rudolf Rosenstock, M. A.; ed. by J. T. Cunningham, M. A. London, A. and C. Black, 1901. url p. 187.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 136, p. 139, p. 14, p. 140, p. 140, p. 141, p. 141, p. 144, p. 145, p. 151, p. 151, p. 151, p. 157, p. 16, p. 17, p. 182, p. 194, p. 196, p. 2, p. 204, p. 204, p. 209, p. 209, p. 212, p. 213, p. 22, p. 24, p. 251, p. 273, p. 68, p. 68, p. 72, p. 73, p. 74, p. 76, p. 85.
- The Asa Gray bulletin. 3 1955-1961 Ann Arbor, Mich. url p. 171.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 214, p. 349, p. 395, p. 55.
- The Avicultural magazine. Ascot, Berkshire, etc.: Avicultural Society, etc. url p. 200.
- The British bird book: an account of all the birds, nests and eggs found in the British Isles / ed. by F.B. Kirkman. Illustrated by two hundred drawings and numerous photographs. London: T.C. & E.C. Jack, 1910-13. url p. 327.
- The Cambridge natural history, London, Macmillan and Co., Limited;1895-1909 url .
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited;1895-1909 url p. 510, p. 632, p. 632.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 65 1951 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 162, p. 505.
- The Canadian naturalist and geologist. Montreal: B. Dawson, 1856-1868. url p. 238.
- The Entomologist's monthly magazine. Oxford [etc.]Entomologist's Monthly Magazine Ltd. [etc.] url p. 160.
- The Fanciers' journal and poultry exchange. Philadelphia: [Joseph M. Wade, Editor and Proprietor, 1874-1876] url p. 626.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 383.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 197.
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 6, p. 80, p. 89, p. 90.
- The Ibis. [London]: Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 155.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url p. 51.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 54.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 397, p. 848.
- The Journal of the Cincinnati Society of Natural History. Cincinnati: The Society, 1878/79 [i.e. 1878 or 1879]-1945. url p. 52.
- The Microscope. Ann Arbor: [s.n., 1881-1897] url p. 137.
- The Naturalist. 1896 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 10, p. 12, p. 120, p. 123, p. 128, p. 131, p. 133, p. 135, p. 136, p. 149, p. 156, p. 157, p. 158, p. 16, p. 168, p. 172, p. 181, p. 185, p. 187, p. 190, p. 191, p. 192, p. 222, p. 283, p. 285, p. 312, p. 326, p. 327, p. 36, p. 361, p. 48, p. 87, p. 88.
- The New Forest: its history and its scenery / by John R. Wise; with 63 illustrations by Walter Crane; engraved by W.J. Linton. London: Gibbings, 1895. url p. 307.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url , p. 145, p. 200, p. 83.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 153.
- The Victoria history of Berkshire. edited by P.H. Ditchfield and William Page. [LondonConstable]1906-1923 url p. 142.
- The Victoria history of the County of Hertford / edited by William Page. London: Published for the University of London, Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall,  url .
- The Victoria history of the county of Warwick. London: Published for the University of London Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall, 1965- url p. 190.
- The Victorian naturalist. [Melbourne]Field Naturalists Club of Victoria. url p. 157, p. 158, p. 54.
- The balance of nature and modern conditions of cultivation: a practical manual of animal foes and friends for the country gentleman, the farmer, the forester, the gardener, and the sportsman / by George Abbey. London: E.P. Dutton, 1909. url p. 39.
- The birds of Ayrshire and Wigtownshire / by Robert Gray and Thomas Anderson; with a lithographic illustration. Glasgow: T. Murray, 1869. url p. 14.
- The birds of Berwickshire; with remarks on their local distribution migration, and habits, and also on the folk-lore, proverbs, popular rhymes and sayings connected with them, by George Muirhead. .. Edinburgh, David Douglas, 1889-95. url p. 345.
- The birds of Britain: their distribution and habits / Cambridge [England]: Cambridge University Press, 1916. url .
- The birds of Celebes and the neighbouring islands / A.B. Meyer and L.W. Wiglesworth. Berlin: R. Friedländer, 1898. url p. 706.
- The birds of Devon / 1892 London: R.H. Porter, 1892. url p. 6.
- The birds of Dorsetshire; a contribution to the natural history of the county, by J.C. Mansel-Pleydell. .. London: R.H. Porter; [etc., etc., 1888?] url p. 21.
- The birds of Guernsey: and the neighboring islands Alderney, Sark, Jethou, Herm; being a small contribution to the ornithology of the Channel Islands / by Cecil Smith. London: R. H. Porter, 1879. url p. 34.
- The birds of London / London: Sonnenschein, 1893. url p. 2.
- The birds of Middlesex. A contribution to the natural history of the county. By James Edmund Harting, F.Z.S. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866. url p. 34.
- The birds of Norfolk, with remarks on their habits, migration, and local distribution: by Henry Stevenson. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866-1890. url p. 307, p. 83.
- The birds of Norfolk: with remarks on their habits, migration, and local distribution / by Henry Stevenson. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866-1890. url p. 83.
- The birds of Pembrokeshire and its islands / by Murray A. Mathew. London [England]: R.H. Porter, 1894. url p. 2.
- The birds of Shakespeare; critically examined, explained, and illustrated by James Edmund Harting. London: J. Van Voorst, 1871. url p. 139.
- The birds of Somersetshire. London, John van Voorst, 1869. url p. 68.
- The birds of Sussex, London, R.H. Porter, 1891. url .
- The birds of Sussex, by William Borrer. London, R.H. Porter, 1891. url p. 48.
- The birds of Tunisia; being a history of the birds found in the regency of Tunis. By J. I. S. Whitaker. London, R.H. Porter, 1905. url , p. 11, p. 9.
- The birds of Wiltshire. Comprising all the periodical and occasional visitants, as well as those which are indigenous to the county. By the Rev. Alfred Charles Smith. .. Devizes, H.F. Bull, 1887. url .
- The birds of Yorkshire: being a historical account of the avi-fauna of the county / by T. H. Nelson; with the co-operation of W. Eagle Clarke and F. Boyes. London: A. Brown, 1907. url p. 14.
- The birds of the British Isles and their eggs. by T.A. Coward; with 242 accurately coloured illustrations by Archibald Thorburn and others, reproduced from Lord Lilford's work Coloured figures of the birds of the British Islands, and 65 photograp London; F. Warne, 1919. url p. 204.
- The birds of the west of Scotland: including the outer Hebrides, with occasional records of the occurrence of the rarer species throughout Scotland generally / by Robert Gray. Glasgow: T. Murray & Son, 1871. url p. 78.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 344, p. 344.
- The collected scientific papers of the late Alfred Henry Garrod, M.A., F.R.S. / edited, with a biographical memoir of the author, by W.A. Forbes. London: R.H. Porter, 1881. url p. 166.
- The danger of introducing noxious animals and birds / by T.S. Palmer. Washington: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, 1894? url p. 106.
- The descent of man, and selection in relation to sex. London, J. Murray, 1890. url p. 455, p. 487, p. 687.
- The descent of man: and selection in relation to sex / New York: P. F. Collier, 1902. url .
- The feathered tribes of the British Islands / by Robert Mudie. London: H.G. Bohn, 1854. url p. 281, p. 431.
- The flora of Harrow: by J. Cosmo Melvill. Harrow, Green and Co.;1876. url p. 141.
- The food of some British wild birds: a study in economic ornithology. By Walter E. Collinge. .. London: Dulau & Co., 1913. url , p. 109, p. 4.
- The fundus oculi of birds, especially as viewed by the ophthalmoscope; a study in the comparative anatomy and physiology, by Casey Albert Wood. Illustrated by 145 drawings in the text; also by sixty-one colored paintings prepared for this work by Arthur W. Head. .. Chicago, The Lakeside Press, 1917. url , p. 110, p. 44.
- The genetic and the operative evidence relating to secondary sexual characters, by T. H. Morgan. WashingtonCarnegie Institution of Washington, 1919. url p. 77.
- The geology of Arran and the other Clyde islands with an account of the botany, natural history, and antiquities, notices of the scenery and an itinerary of the routes, by James Bryce. .. GlasgowW. Collins, sons, and company, 1872. url p. 298.
- The grouse in health and in disease, being the final report of the Committee of inquiry on grouse disease. London, Smith, Elder & co., 1911. url p. 362.
- The history of Glanville's Wootton, in the County of dorset, including its zoology and botany / by C.W. Dale. London, Hatchards, 1878. url p. 32.
- The history of Harting, by the Rev. H.D. Gordon. With a chapter on the geology of the district, by the late Sir Roderick Impey Murchison, and some notice of its fauna and flora, by J. Weaver. London: Printed for the authors by W. Davy, 1877. url p. 266.
- The illustrated natural history / by J.G. Wood; with new designs by Wolf, Zwecker, Weir, Coleman, Harvey, etc. etc.; engraved by the brothers Dalziel. London: G. Routledge, [188-?] url p. 339.
- The land birds in and around St. Andrews: including a condensed history of the British land birds, with extracts from the poets and observations and anecdotes on natural history / by George Bruce. Dundee [Scotland]: John Leng & Co., 1895. url p. 263, p. 265, p. 267, p. 271, p. 273.
- The micrographic dictionary; a guide to the examination and investigation of the structure and nature of microscopic objects, by J. W. Griffith and Arthur Henfrey. London, J. Van Voorst, 1883. url .
- The migration of birds, as observed at Irish lighthouses and lightships including the original reports from 1888-97, now published for the first time, and an analysis of these and of the previously pu together with an appendix giving the measurement sof about 1600 wings / London: R.H. Porter, [etc., etc., 1900] url p. 142, p. 213, p. 274, p. 281, p. 29, p. 343, p. 396, p. 460, p. 506, p. 557, p. 626, p. 627, p. 629, p. 73.
- The migration of birds; a consideration of Herr G atke's views, London, R. H. Porter, 1897. url p. 76.
- The museum of natural history, with introductory essay on the natural history of the primeval world: being a popular account of the structure, habits, and classification of the various departments of the animal kingdom: quadruped, birds, reptiles, fishes, shells, and insects, including the insects de by Sir John Richardson, William S. Dallas, T. Spencer Cobbold, and William Baird & Adam White. London: Mackenzie, [1859-62?] url p. 330, p. 435, p. 445.
- The natural history of Ireland. London: Reeve, Benham and Reeve, 1849-56. url p. 153.
- The natural history of the birds of Ireland, indigenous and migratory: containing descriptions of the habits, migrations, occurrence, and economy, of the 261 species comprised in the Fauna / by John J. Watters. Dublin: J. McGlashan, 1853. url p. 35.
- The naturalisation of animals & plants in New Zealand, by Geo. M. Thomson. Cambridge [Eng.]: The University Press, 1922. url p. 146.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 102, p. 145, p. 147, p. 149, p. 153, p. 156, p. 163, p. 168, p. 169, p. 213, p. 248, p. 252, p. 257, p. 260, p. 291, p. 325, p. 341.
- The ornithology of Illinois. Part I. Descriptive catalogue. By Robert Ridgway. Part II. Economic ornithology. By S. A. Forbes. Pub. by the authority of the state Legislature. Springfield, Ill., H. W. Rokker, printer, 1889-95. url p. 64, p. 64.
- The ornithology of the Straits of Gibraltar / by L. Howard L. Irby. London: R.H. Porter, 1895. url p. 35.
- The physiology and pharmacology of the pituitary body / by H.B. Van Dyke. Chicago, Ill.: The University of Chicago Press, -1939. url p. 2, p. 364.
- The river-side naturalist; notes on the various forms of life met with either in, on, or by the water, or in its immediate vicinity. Illus. with numerous woodcuts. London, Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, 1890. url p. 94.
- The sportsman's British bird book / by R. Lydekker. London: Rowland Ward, 1908. url p. 457.
- The standard dictionary of facts, history, language, literature, biography, geography, travel, art, government, politics, industry, invention, commerce, science, education, natural history, statistics Buffalo, Frontier Press url p. 736.
- The structure of the call note system of the warbling vireo / Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum, 1988. url p. 33.
- The vertebrate fauna of Cheshire and Liverpool Bay / London: Witherby, 1910. url p. 119.
- The voyage of the "Challenger": the Atlantic: a preliminary account of the general results of the exploring voyage of H.M.S. "Challenger" during the year 1873 and the early part of the year 1876 / by Sir C. Wyville Thomson. New York: Harper, 1878. url p. 43.
- The wonders of animal ingenuity / by H. Coupin and John Lea. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1910. url p. 76.
- Ticks, a monograph of the Ixodoidea, by George H.F. Nuttall. .. Cecil Warburton. .. W.F. Cooper. .. and L.E. Robinson. .. Cambridge, University press, 1908-1960. url p. 191.
- Transactions and journal of proceedings / Dumfriesshire and Galloway Natural History & Antiquarian Society. Dumfries: Council of the Society, url p. 380.
- Transactions and proceedings and report of the Royal Society of South Australia (Incorporated). Adelaide: [The Society] W.C. Rigby, 1904-1911. url p. 112.
- Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences. New Haven: Published by the Academy, 1866- url p. 869.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Naturalists' Field Club. Edinburgh: The Club, 1886. url p. 306, p. 306, p. 96.
- Transactions of the Essex Field Club. Buckhurst Hill, Essex: The Club, 1880-1886. url p. 23.
- Transactions of the Hertfordshire Natural History Society and Field Club. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1879- url p. 150, p. 152.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London. London: [The Society], 1879- url p. 72, p. 72.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, The Society. url , , p. 105, p. 174, p. 211, p. 51.
- Travels of a naturalist in northern Europe, Norway, 1871, Archangel, 1872, Petchora, 1875, London, T. F. Unwin, 1905. url p. 106, p. 527.
- Turner on birds: a short and succinct history of the principal birds noticed by Pliny and Aristotle first published by Doctor William Turner, 1544. Ed. with introduction, translation, notes, and appendix, by A. H. Evans. Cambridge, University press, 1903. url , p. 223.
- Turner on birds; a short and succinct history of the principal birds notices by Pliny and Artistotle, Cambridge, University press, 1903. url .
- Types of birds in the Tring Museum. n. p., 1922? url .
- Wild birds at home. Sixty photographs from life, by Charles Kirk, of British birds and their nests. London [etc.]Gowans & Gray, ltd., 1910. url p. 6.
- Wild life of the world: a descriptive survey of the geographical distribution of animals / London; F. Warne and co., 1916. url p. 113.
- Wood notes wild, notations of bird music; by Simeon Pease Cheney. .. Collected and arranged with appendix, notes, bibliography and general index, by John Vance Cheney. .. Boston, Lee and Shepard, 1892. url p. 223, p. 260.
- Yearbook of agriculture. WashingtonU.S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 106.
- Zoe:a biological journal. 2 1891 San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 7.
- Zoological Society bulletin. [New York]: New York Zoological Society. url p. 1449.
- Zoological classification; a handy book of reference with tables of the subkingdoms, classes, orders, etc., of the animal kingdom, their characters and lists of the families and principal genera. London, J. Van Voorst, 1880. url p. 222.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Abteilung für Anatomie und Ontogenie der Tiere Jena [Germany]:G. Fischer, c -1993. url , .
- [A collection of various papers; mostly on birds of Greenland, Denmark and the North Atlantic Ocean, 1892-1902. url p. 223.
- BirdLife International 2009. Turdus merula. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 05February2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed February 2, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 06, 2007:
- Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem, GEO Biodiversity Day
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- Provider, Online Zoological Collections of Australian Museums
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- Senckenberg, Collection Aves
- Senckenberg, Collection Aves
- SysTax, Zoologisches Forschungsinstitut und Museum Alexander Koenig, Bonn
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility, Western Palearctic migrants in continental Africa
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Birds of the Gothenburg Natural History Museum
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Environment and Heritage Service - EHS Species Datasets
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Herts Bird Club - Hertfordshire Breeding Bird Atlas : 1988-1992
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Scottish Borders Biological Records Centre - SWT Scottish Borders Local Wildlife Site Survey data 1996-2000 - species information
- University of Gdansk, Bird Migration Research Station, Ringing Data from the Bird Migration Research Station, University of Gdańsk
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens