Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Spotted Sandpiper, spotted tattler
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Spanish:
Common Names in Swedish:
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,647 meters (0 to 8,684 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Huxley, 1867
- Huxley, 1867
- Suborder: Limicolae () - Beddard, 1898
- Order: Charadriiformes () - Huxley, 1867
- Superorder: Charadriimorphae () - Huxley, 1867
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 24-Jun-1996
Members of the genus Tringa
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 24 species and subspecies in this genus:
(Gray-Tailed Tattler) · T. cinerea (Terek Sandpiper) · (Spotted Redshank) · (Lesser Yellowlegs) · (Wood Sandpiper) · (Nordmann's Greenshank) · T. hypoleucos (Common Sandpiper) · T. hypoleucos hypoleucos (Common Sandpiper) · (Wandering Tattler) · T. macularia (Spotted Sandpiper) · (Greater Yellowlegs) · (Common Greenshank) · (Green Sandpiper) · (Solitary Sandpiper) · (Solitary Sandpiper (Western)) · (Solitary Sandpiper (Eastern)) · (Marsh Sandpiper) · (Common Redshank) · T. totanus eurhina (Common Redshank) · (Common Redshank) · T. totanus robusta or totanus (Common Redshank) · (Common Redshank) · (Common Redshank) · (Common Redshank)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 612.
- A contribution to the ornithology of northeastern Brazil, by Charles E. Hellmayr. 12 1929 Chicago, 1929. url p. 495.
- A general history of birds. Winchester [Eng.]Printed by Jacob and Johnson, for the author;1821-28. url p. 283.
- A geographical and comparative list of the birds of Europe and North America / by Charles Lucian Bonaparte. London: J. Van Voorst, 1838. url p. 51.
- A hand-book to the birds of Great Britain / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London: E. Lloyd, 1896-1897. url p. 287.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 180.
- A history of British animals: exhibiting the descriptive characters and systematical arrangement of the genera and species of quadrupeds, birds, reptiles, fishes, mollusca, and radiata of the United Kingdom; including the indigeno by John Fleming. Edinburgh: Printed for Bell & Bradfute; 1828. url p. 103.
- A history of British birds / by William Yarrell; ill. by 550 wood-engravings. London: John Van Voorst, 1856. url p. 660.
- A history of British birds by William Yarrell; illustrated by 535 wood-engravings. London: J. Van Voorst, 1845. url p. 613.
- A history of British birds, indigenous and migratory: including their organization, habits, and relation; remarks on classification and nomenclature; an account of the principal organs of birds, and observations relative to practical ornithology. .. By William Macgillivray. London, Printed for Scott, Webster and Geary, 1837-52. url p. 356.
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. London, Pub. for the author by R. H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url p. 122.
- A history of British birds. By the Rev. F. O. Morris. London, Groombridge and sons, [1851-57?] url .
- A history of British birds. London, J. Van Voorst, 1871-85. url p. 452, p. 452.
- A history of British birds: the figures engraved on wood / by T. Bewick. Newcastle: Printed by Edward Walker, for T. Bewick, 1809. url p. 108.
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url .
- A list of British birds / compiled by a committee of the British Ornithologists' Union. London: J. van Voorst, 1883. url p. 174.
- A manual of the birds of Australia / by Gregory M. Mathews. .. and. .. Tom Iredale; illus. with coloured and monochrome plates by Lilian Medland. London: Witherby, 1921. url p. 139.
- A manual of the birds of Australia, by Gregory M. Mathews. .. and Tom Iredale. .. Illustrated with coloured and monochrome plates by Lilian Medland. Vol. I. Orders Casuarii to Columbæ. London, H.F. & G. Witherby, 1921. url p. 139.
- A natural history of the nests and eggs of British birds / by the Rev. F.O. Morris. London: John C. Nimmo, 1896. url .
- A preliminary catalog of the birds of Missouri / Otto Widmann. St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis, 1907. url p. 74, p. 74.
- American ornithology, or, The natural history of the birds of the United States illustrated with plates engraved from drawings from nature by Alexander Wilson and Charles Lucian Bonaparte. Philadelphia: Porter & Coates, [1878?] url .
- American ornithology, with notes by Jardine. To which is added a synopsis of American birds, including those described by Bonaparte, Audubon, Nuttall, and Richardson, by T.M. Brewer. New York, H.S. Samuels, 1853. url .
- American ornithology: or, The natural history of the birds of the United States / Philadelphia: Porter and Coates, [187-?] url .
- American ornithology; or, the natural history of the birds of the United States, by Alexander Wilson and Charles Lucian Bonaparte. Philadelphia, Porter & Coates url p. 342.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 158, p. 372.
- Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York. New-York: 1824-1876. url p. 326.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 335.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 77.
- Barton's Fragments of the natural history of Pennsylvania. Ed. by Osbert Salvin. .. London[Printed by Taylor and Francis]1883. url p. 19.
- Biologia centrali-americana: Aves / [London: R.H. Porter], 1879-1904. url .
- Birds of New York / by Elon Howard Eaton. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1910-1914. url p. 335.
- Birds of the Colorado Valley: a repository of scientific and popular information concerning North American ornithology / by Elliott Coues. Washington: G.P.O., 1878. url p. 599.
- Birds of the Colorado valley. .. scientific and popular information concerning North American ornithology. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1878. url p. 599.
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url , p. 58.
- British zoology, London: Printed for Wilkie and Robinson [etc.], 1812. url p. 79.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 157, p. 374, p. 50.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1955 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 99.
- Catalogue of British Birds in the Collection of the British Museum / by G.R. Gray. London, 1863. url p. 160.
- Catalogue of British birds in the collection of the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the trustees, 1863. url .
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 122.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 468.
- Catalogue of the Edward E. Ayer Ornithological Library. .. 16 1926 Chicago, 1926. url p. 680.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 114.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 186.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 182.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 269.
- Fauna of New England, 11: list of the aves / by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 83.
- Fauna of New England. List of the Araneida. Boston, For Society, 1908. url .
- Fauna of New England. by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 83.
- Frank Forester's field sports of the United States and British provinces of North America New York: W.A. Townsend & Adams, 1868. url .
- Geology of the county of Cape May, state of New Jersey. Trenton, Printed at the office of the True American, 1857. url , p. 144.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1976 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 81.
- Hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. London, Allen, 1894-97. url p. 287, p. 287.
- IUCN Directory of Neotropical Protected Areas IUCN url p. 88.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 194.
- Illustrations of British ornithology. By Prideaux John Selby. Edinburgh: Printed for the proprietor, and pub. by W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.], 1833. url p. 84, p. 84.
- Insects of Porto Rico and the Virgin Islands. New York, The Academy. url p. 362.
- Journal of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia: Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, 1817-1918. url p. 87.
- Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington [etc., Washington Academy of Sciences] url p. 607.
- List of the specimens of birds in the collection of the British Museum. London: Printed by the order of the Trustees, 1848-1856. url p. 102.
- List of the specimens of the British animals in the collection of the British museum. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1845-55. url p. 96.
- Magazine of natural history and journal of zoology, botany, mineralogy, geology and meteorology. London: printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1829-1837. url p. 395.
- Mammalogy and ornithology by John Cassin. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1858. url .
- Manual of British birds: including the essential characteristics of the orders, families, genera, and species. London: Printed for Adam Scott, 1846. url p. 98.
- Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, at Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass. 12 1884 Cambridge [Mass.]: The Museum, 1876-1940. url fig. in text, page 301.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 242, p. 84.
- Michigan bird life, a list of all the bird species known to occur in the state together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, wtih special reference to its relation t [Lansing]Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url .
- Michigan bird life: a list of all the bird species known to occur in the State together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, with special reference to its relation t by Walter Bradford Barrows. Lansing: Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url p. 200.
- Natural history of New York. .. Albany, D. Appleton & co. and Wiley & Putnam;1842-94. url p. 246.
- New Mallophaga, 3. Comprising: Mallophaga from birds of Panama, Baja California and Alaska. San FranciscoCalifornia Academy of Sciences1899 url p. 51.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 5, p. 51.
- Ornithological biography, or an account of the habits of the birds of the United States of America; accompanied by descriptions of the objects represented in the work entitled The Birds of America, and interspersed with delineations of American scenery and manners / Edinburgh: Adam Black, 1831-1839. url p. 86.
- Ornithology and oo?logy of New England: containing full descriptions of the birds of New England, and adjoining states and provinces. .. by Edward A. Samuels. Boston, Nichols and Noyes, 1867. url p. 458.
- Ornithology and oölogy of New England: containing full descriptions of the birds of New England, and adjoining states and provinces. .. by Edward A. Samuels. Boston: Nichols and Noyes, 1867. url p. 458.
- Papers from the Hopkins-Stanford Galapagos expedition, 1898-1899. Washington, D.C., The Academy, 1901-1905. url p. 260.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 192, p. 740.
- Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston [etc.]Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 257.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 17, p. 24, p. 250, p. 39, p. 397, p. 46, p. 461, p. 536, p. 599, p. 617, p. 645.
- Report of the Geological exploration of the fortieth parallel made by order of the Secretary of War according to acts of Congress of March 2, 1867, and March 3, 1869, under the direction of. .. A.A. Humphreys, chief of engineers, by Clarence King, U.S. geologist Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1870-80 url p. 610.
- Report upon United States Geographical Surveys West of the One Hundredth Meridian / Washington [D.C.]: G.P.O., 1875-1889. url p. 460.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Washington, A. O. P. Nicholson, printer [etc.]1855-60. url .
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 83.
- Rough notes and memoranda relating to the natural history of the Bermudas, London, R.H. Porter, 1897. url .
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 134 1958 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 31, p. 5.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 77.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 318.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 37 1977 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 248.
- The birds of El Salvador, by Donald R. Dickey and A. J. Van Rossem. 23 1938 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1938. url p. 172.
- The birds of Jamaica / by Philip Henry Gosse; assisted by Richard Hill, of Spanish-Town. London: J. Van Voorst, 1847. url p. 349.
- The birds of Jamaica. By Philip Henry Gosse; assisted by Richard Hill, esq., of Spanish-town. London, J. Van Voorst, 1847. url p. 349, p. 349.
- The birds of Long Island. By J. P. Giraud, Jr. New York: Wiley & Putnam, 1844. url p. 257.
- The birds of Long Island. By J.P. Giraud, Jr. New York, Wiley & Putnam, 1844. url p. 257.
- The birds of New England / by Edward A. Samuels. Boston: Noyes, Holmes, 1870, c1867. url p. 458.
- The birds of New England and adjacent states. ..: arranged by a long-approved classification and nomenclature. .. with illustrations of many species of the birds, and accurate figures of their eggs / by Edward A. Samuels; with an appendix containing supplementary notes. Boston: Lockwood, Brooks, 1880. url p. 458.
- The birds of New Englandand adjacent states: containing descriptions of the birds of New England. .. together with a history of their habitats. ..; with illustrations of many species of the birds, and accurate figures of their eggs / by Edward A. Samuels. Boston: Noyes, Holmes, 1870 [c1867] url .
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , .
- The birds of Ohio; a revised catalogue, [Columbus?]Academy of Science, 1903. url .
- The birds of the Chicago area / [Chicago, Jennings and Graham], 1907. url .
- The birds of the Chicago area, by Frank Morley Woodruff. .. [Chicago, Printed by Jennings and Graham]1907. url p. 76.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 158, p. 158, p. 158.
- The distribution of bird-life in Colombia; a contribution to a biological survey of South America, New York, Pub. by order of the trustees, 1917. url , , , .
- The ecology of Tijuana Estuary, California: a national estuarine research reserve / by Joy B. Zedler, Christopher S. Nordby and Barbara E. Kus. [Washington, D.C.: NOAA Office of Coastal Resource Management, Sanctuaries and Reserves Division], 1992. url p. 68.
- The game birds and wild fowl of the British Islands. Sheffield, Pawson & Brailsford, 1900. url .
- The geographical distribution of the family Charadriidae, or the plovers, sandpipers, snipes, and their allies / London; H. Sotheran & Co.,  url p. 373.
- The naturalist's library. Conducted by Sir William Jardine. Edinburgh, W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.]1833- url p. 219.
- The ornithology of Illinois / [by Robert Ridgway and S.A. Forbes]. Springfield, Ill., H.W. Rokker, printer, 1889-1895. url p. 67.
- The ornithology of Illinois. Part I. Descriptive catalogue. By Robert Ridgway. Part II. Economic ornithology. By S. A. Forbes. Pub. by the authority of the state Legislature. Springfield, Ill., H. W. Rokker, printer, 1889-95. url p. 67, p. 67.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 74, p. 74, p. 74.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 3 1951 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 564.
- Wilson's American ornithology: with notes by Jardine; to which is added a synopsis of American birds, including those described by Bonaparte, Audubon, Nuttall, and Richardson / by T.M. Brewer. 1840 Boston: Otis, Broaders, and Co., 1840. url p. 497.
- Zoology of New York; or, The New York Fauna; comprising detailed descriptions of all the animals hitherto observed within the state of New York, with brief notices of those occasionally found near its borders, and accompa by James E. De Kay. Albany: W. & A. White & J. Visscher: 1842-44. url p. 246.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- Bird Studies Canada, BC Coastal Waterbird Survey
- Bird Studies Canada, Marsh Monitoring Program - Birds
- Bird Studies Canada, Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 1981-1985
- Bird Studies Canada, Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 2001-2005
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 12317
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-176631
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13758742
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 176631
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 142490