Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hebrew:
Common Names in Italian:
Piro piro boschereccio, Piro-piro boschereccio
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Common Names in Swedish:
Adult : Head : white streaks on brown Face : Eyebrow Line : white Bill: black Length : short Shape : straight Neck: white streaks on brown Body: Breast: brown with whitish streaks Rump : white patch Underparts: dark brown with buff flecks Legs : Leg Color: yellowish Leg Length: long.
About 8 inches long, with a wingspan of 16 to 16 inches. Adults weigh about 5.6 ounces .
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 5,013 meters (0 to 16,447 feet).
Behaviour This species is a full migrant, travelling overland
on a broad front across Europe and the Middle
start to move away from the breeding grounds
following in late-August, arriving in tropical
from late-July through August to October2. On this
southern migration many birds frequent stop-over sites to the north
of the Mediterranean (especially in France and Italy), after which
they overfly the Sahara1. Spring
begins in late-March to early-April2,
with breeding areas starting to be reoccupied from late-April (early
June in northern Russia)2, and with breeding occurring
between May and mid-July1. Some non-breeding birds
may also remain in the south throughout the summer2.
The species nests in well-dispersed solitary pairs (from 1-10 pairs
per km2 to 50 pairs per km2 in forest
but in winter it may occur in small scattered
groups or larger flocks
(20-50 individuals), and concentrations can exceed 1,000 individuals
on migration3. Habitat Breeding During
the breeding season
this species inhabits open, swampy areas in boreal
forest1, scrubland between tundra and coniferous
forest with willow, dwarf
birch or spruce2, wet
heathlands, and extensive mossy, sedgy or grassy marshes2.
Non-breeding Outside of the breeding season this species is
less associated with woodlands, being more commonly found in open
areas such as the margins
of inland freshwater
4, muddy marshlands, grassy stream
wet paddyfields, small temporary pools1, permanent
, flooded grassland and irrigation
It rarely occurs in coastal habitats
, but may be found along the
of saltmarshes and mangrove
Breeding Whilst on the breeding grounds this species is chiefly
, taking small insects (up to 2 cm long), especially the
forms such as dytiscid or hydrophilid beetles, Hemiptera
and the larvae of Diptera such as midges4. Non-breeding
During the non-breeding season
the species has a more varied diet
consisting of aquatic and terrestrial
insects and their larvae, worms,
spiders, crustaceans, gastropod molluscs
, small fish (up to 2 cm
long) and frogs
, as well as plant matter such as seeds1,
4. Breeding site The nest
is a scrape on the ground
amongst dense vegetation1, 2 or raised on a tussock
or slight ridge
, and can sometimes be surrounded by water2.
The species may also nest in trees
in the abandoned nests of other
species1 such as thrushes2. Management
information Intensive grazing of grassland (> 1 cow
was found to attract a higher abundance
of this species in Hungary7.
List of Habitats:
- 1 Forest
- 1.1 Forest - Boreal
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.1 Shrubland - Subarctic
- 4 Grassland
- 4.6 Grassland - Subtropical/Tropical Seasonally Wet/Flooded
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.1 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Rivers/Streams/Creeks (includes waterfalls )
- 5.4 Wetlands (inland) - Bogs , Marshes, Swamps, Fens , Peatlands
- 5.5 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Lakes (over 8ha)
- 5.7 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Marshes/Pools (under 8ha)
- 15 Artificial/Aquatic & Marine
- 15.1 Artificial/Aquatic - Water Storage Areas (over 8ha)
- 15.6 Artificial/Aquatic - Wastewater Treatment Areas
- 15.7 Artificial/Aquatic - Irrigated Land (includes irrigation channels)
- 15.8 Artificial/Aquatic - Seasonally Flooded Agricultural Land [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Huxley, 1867
- Huxley, 1867
- Beddard, 1898
- Strauch, 1978
- Superfamily: Scolopacoidea () - Vigors, 1825
- Parvorder: Scolopacida ()
- Infraorder: Scolopacides () - Strauch, 1978
- Suborder: Limicolae () - Beddard, 1898
- Order: Charadriiformes () - Huxley, 1867
- Superorder: Charadriimorphae () - Huxley, 1867
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 17-Oct-2001
Solitary Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper
Members of the genus Tringa
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 19 species and subspecies in this genus:
T. brevipes (Gray-Tailed Tattler) · T. cinerea (Terek Sandpiper) · T. erythropus (Spotted Redshank) · T. flavipes (Lesser Long-Legged Tattler) · T. glareola (Wood Sandpiper) · T. guttifer (NordmannÌs Greenshank) · T. hypoleucos (Common Sandpiper) · T. hypoleucos hypoleucos (Common Sandpiper) · T. incana (Wandering Tattler) · T. macularia (Spotted Sandpiper) · T. melanoleuca (Big Yellow-Legged Plover) · T. nebularia (Common Greenshank) · T. ochropus (Green Sandpiper) · T. solitaria (American Green Sandpiper) · T. solitaria cinnamomea (Solitary Sandpiper) · T. solitaria solitaria (Solitary Sandpiper) · T. stagnatilis (Marsh Sandpiper) · T. totanus (Common Sandpiper) · T. totanus totanus (Common Sandpiper)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Directory of Neotropical Wetlands. IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 681.
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url .
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 614.
- A guide to the birds of Nepal Christopher Helm (Publishers) Ltd. url p. 155.
- A hand-book to the birds of Great Britain / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London: E. Lloyd, 1896-1897. url p. 275.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 180, p. 236.
- A hand-list of genera and species of birds of the Indian empire, by E. C. Stuart Baker. .. Bombay, Printed by order of the committee of the Bombay natural history society url p. 217.
- A hand-list of the birds of Japan, by M. Ogawa. [Tokyo]1908. url p. 363.
- A handbook to the birds of British Bermah, including those found in the adjoining state of Karennee, by Eugene W. Oates. .. London, R.H. Porter, 1883. url .
- A history of British animals: exhibiting the descriptive characters and systematical arrangement of the genera and species of quadrupeds, birds, reptiles, fishes, mollusca, and radiata of the United Kingdom; including the indigeno by John Fleming. Edinburgh: Printed for Bell & Bradfute; 1828. url p. 103.
- A history of British birds / by William Yarrell; ill. by 550 wood-engravings. London: John Van Voorst, 1856. url p. 648.
- A history of British birds by William Yarrell; illustrated by 535 wood-engravings. London: J. Van Voorst, 1845. url p. 601.
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. .. London, Pub. for the author by R.H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url p. 132, p. 133.
- A history of British birds. By the Rev. F. O. Morris. London, Groombridge and sons, [1851-57?] url .
- A history of the birds of Ceylon / London: Published by the author, 1880 [i.e. 1878-1880] url p. 857.
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url , p. 143.
- A key to the birds of Australia: with their geographical distribution / by Robert Hall. London [England]: R. H. Porter, [1906?] url p. 114.
- A list of the birds of Australia: containing the names and synonyms connected with each genus, species, and subspecies of birds found in Australia, at present known to the author / London: Witherby, 1913. url p. 68.
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott Company, 1896. url .
- A manual of Philippine birds / by Richard C. McGregor. Manila: Bureau of Printing, 1909. url p. 130, p. 130.
- A manual of Philippine birds, by Richard C. McGregor. .. Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1909. url p. 130.
- A manual of the birds of Australia / by Gregory M. Mathews. .. and. .. Tom Iredale; illus. with coloured and monochrome plates by Lilian Medland. London: Witherby, 1921. url p. 138.
- A manual of the birds of Australia, by Gregory M. Mathews. .. and Tom Iredale. .. Illustrated with coloured and monochrome plates by Lilian Medland. Vol. I. Orders Casuarii to Columbæ. London, H.F. & G. Witherby, 1921. url p. 137, p. 138.
- A natural history of the nests and eggs of British birds / by the Rev. F.O. Morris. London: John C. Nimmo, 1896. url .
- A synoptical catalogue of British birds; intended to identify the species mentioned by different names in several catalogues already extant. Forming a book of reference to Observations on British ornithology. By Thomas Forster. London, Printed by and for Nichols, son, and Bentley, 1817. url p. 24.
- American ornithology, with notes by Jardine. To which is added a synopsis of American birds, including those described by Bonaparte, Audubon, Nuttall, and Richardson, by T.M. Brewer. New York, H.S. Samuels, 1853. url .
- An environmental profile of the Black Sea Coast WCMC url p. 102.
- Anatomical and zoological researches: comprising an account of the zoological results of the two expeditions to western Yunnan in 1868 and 1875; and a monograph of the two cetacean genera, Platanista 1 1878 London, B. Quaritch, 1878. url p. 678.
- Ardea. Amsterdam, etc., Nederlandse Ornithlogische Unie, etc. url p. 60.
- Bibliographia zoologiæ et geologiæ. A general catalogue of all books, tracts, and memoirs on zoology and geology. By Prof. Louis Agassiz. .. Cor., enl. and ed. by H.E. Strickland. .. London, Ray Society, 1848-1854. url p. 547.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 458.
- Birds from Nepal [by] Austin L. Rand [and] Robert L. Fleming. 41 1957 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1957. url p. 67.
- Birds of the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangel Island = (Ptitsy Chukotskogo poluostrova i ostrova Vrangelya) / L.A. Portenko; translated from Russian [by P.M. Rao]. New Delhi: Published for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C., by Amerind Pub. Co., 1981- url .
- Birds of the Crane Pacific expedition, by Ernst Mayr and Sidney Camras. 20 1938 Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, 1938. url p. 470.
- Birds of the Philippine Islands: Siquijor, Mount Malindang, Bohol, and Samar / Austin L. Rand and Dioscoro S. Rabor. 35 1958 Chicago: Chicago Natural History Museum, 1960. url p. 239, p. 327.
- Birds. By Eugene W. Oates. London: Taylor and Francis; [etc., etc.], 1889-98. url p. 261.
- Birds. London, Taylor and Francis, 1889-1898. url .
- Boletim da Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais. Lisboa, Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais, 1908- url p. 174.
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 117, p. 237, p. 237, p. 291, p. 75, p. 86.
- British zoology, London: Printed for Wilkie and Robinson [etc.], 1812. url p. 88.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 122, p. 136, p. 180, p. 19, p. 346, p. 349, p. 363, p. 367, p. 37, p. 91.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1958 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 10.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 38.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1950-1977. url p. 213, p. 215, p. 216, p. 230, p. 284, p. 295, p. 322, p. 328, p. 329.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 101 1948 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 120, p. 272, p. 272, p. 329, p. 380, p. 380, p. 420, p. 81, p. 83, p. 98.
- Catalogue of British birds in the collection of the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the trustees, 1863. url .
- Catalogue of a collection of birds from British East Africa, by Ned Dearborn. .. 1 1909 Chicago, 1909. url p. 149.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 105, p. 122.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 246.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 246.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 444, p. 491.
- Catalogue of the birds in the Museum Asiatic Society / by Edward Blyth. Published by order of the society. Calcutta: J. Thomas, 1849. url p. 267, p. 268.
- Catalogue of the genera and subgenera of birds contained in the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1855. url p. 116.
- Catalogue of the specimens illustrating the osteology of vertebrated animals, recent and extinct, contained in the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. London, 1891. url p. 359.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 115.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 188.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 179.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 267.
- Check-list of the species of fishes known from the Philippine Archipelago, Manila, Bureau of printing, 1910. url p. 130.
- Checklists for the CORINE Biotopes Programme and its application in the PHARE countries of Central and East Europe: including comparisons with relevant conventions and agreements on the conservation of European species and habitats EC url p. 100, p. 9.
- Coastal Sensitivity Overview of the Strait of Malacca. Compiled for International Maritime Organisation (IMO) IMO url .
- Coloured figures of the birds of the British Islands / issued by Lord Lilford. London: R. H. Porter, 1885-1897. url p. 109.
- Contributions to the knowledge of the East African ornithology. Birds collected by the Swedish Mount Elgon Expedition 1920. Lund, C. Blom, 1923. url p. 37, p. 38.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 140, p. 196, p. 203, p. 270, p. 304, p. 373, p. 508, p. 582, p. 588, p. 590, p. 601, p. 603, p. 624, p. 750, p. 780.
- Fauna boreali-americana, or, The zoology of the northern parts of British America: containing descriptions of the objects of natural history collected on the late northern land expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. / by John Richardson, surgeon and naturalist to the expeditions; assisted by William Swainson and the Reverend William Kirby. London: J. Murray [etc.], 1829-1837. url p. 394.
- Fauna of the Aleutian Islands and Alaska Peninsula, by Olaus J. Murie. Invertebrates and fishes collected in the Aleutians, 1936-38, by Victor B. Scheffer. Washington, Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1959 url , p. 13, p. 139.
- Hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. London, Allen, 1894-97. url p. 275.
- Handbook to The birds of Australia. By John Gould. LondonPub. by the author, 1865. url p. 268, p. 268.
- History of British animals / by John Fleming. Edinburgh: Bell & Bradfute; 1828. url p. 103.
- IUCN Directory of South Asian Protected Areas IUCN url p. 204, p. 293.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 109, p. 125, p. 163, p. 169, p. 181, p. 193, p. 198, p. 225, p. 312, p. 321, p. 322, p. 382, p. 427, p. 510, p. 510, p. 697, p. 710, p. 810.
- Journal of the East Africa Natural History Society: official publication of the Coryndon Memorial Museum (Museum Trustees of Kenya). Nairobi, Kenya: The Museum, 1942- url p. 166, p. 7.
- Journal of the Federated Malay States Museums. Kuala Lumpur: the Museums, 1905-1936. url p. 266.
- Kingsbridge and its surroundings. By S.P. Fox. Plymouth: Printed for the compiler by G.P. Friend, 1874. url p. 257.
- List of the specimens of birds in the collection of the British Museum. London: Printed by the order of the Trustees, 1848-1856. url p. 100, p. 101, p. 103.
- List of the specimens of the British animals in the collection of the British museum. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1845-55. url p. 95.
- Marine turtles in Baluchistan: report on a aerial survey, 9-11 September 1988 with notes on wetland sites and a proposed marine turtle conservation project WCMC url p. 13.
- Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, at Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass. 12 1884 Cambridge [Mass.]: The Museum, 1876-1940. url fig. in text, page 278, p. 278, p. 290.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 3 1968 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 48.
- Narrative of the expedition of an American squadron to the China Seas and Japan: performed in the years 1852, 1853, and 1854, under the command of Commodore M.C. Perry, United States Navy, by order of the Government of the United States / Compiled from the original notes and journals of Commodore Perry and his officers, at his request, and under his supervision, by Francis L. Hawks. Washington: Beverley Tucker, printer, 1856. url p. 229.
- Nature Reserves of the Himalaya and the Mountains of Central Asia IUCN url p. 471, p. 94.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url , , p. 13, p. 139.
- Observations of the natural history of swallows; with a collateral statement of facts relative to their migration, and to their brumal torpidity: and a table of reference to authors. .. London: Printed for T. and G. Underwood [etc.], 1817. url p. 85.
- Observations of the naturalhistory of the swallowtribe: with collateral statement of facts relative to their migration, and to their brvmal torpidity: and a copivs table of reference to avthors: illustrated by figures of five species, engraved on wood, b by Thomas Forster, F.L.S.. .. At Paris and Strasbourg: Printed for T. and G. Underwood. .., Baldwin, Craddock, and Joy. ..; 1817 url p. 85.
- Ornithology and oölogy of New England: containing full descriptions of the birds of New England, and adjoining states and provinces. .. by Edward A. Samuels. Boston: Nichols and Noyes, 1867. url p. 457.
- Our northern and eastern birds. Containing descriptions of the birds of the northern and eastern states and British provinces; together with a history of their habits, times of arrival and departure, their distribution, food, song, New York, R. Worthington, 1883. url .
- Postilla. New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url p. 4.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 40, p. 40.
- Proceedings of the International Ornithological Congress. [Canberra, etc.]Australian Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 30.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 327, p. 379, p. 388, p. 409.
- Proceedings of the New England Zoo?logical Club. [Cambridge, Mass.]: The Club, 1899- url p. 19, p. 19.
- Proceedings of the Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales. Mosman, New South Wales [etc.]The Society. url p. 13, p. 16.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 19, p. 368, p. 5, p. 596, p. 8, p. 838, p. 91.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Washington, A. O. P. Nicholson, printer [etc.]1855-60. url .
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 71, p. 74.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 151 1966 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 18, p. 19, p. 368, p. 52.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 118, p. 134, p. 135, p. 164, p. 166, p. 245, p. 281, p. 298, p. 318, p. 382, p. 447, p. 502, p. 632, p. 668, p. 680, p. 79, p. 90.
- Stray feathers. Journal of ornithology for India and its dependencies. Calcutta: s.n., 1872-1899. url p. 491.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 14.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 346, p. 45, p. 512.
- The Emu: official organ of the Australasian Ornithologists' Union. Melbourne: Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union, 1901- url p. 155.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url , p. 668, p. 864.
- The Journal of the Natural History Society of Siam. [Bangkok, Thailand]: The Society, url p. 67.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 3127, p. 3482, p. 689.
- The Natural history of Enewetak Atoll / edited by Dennis M. Devaney. .. [et al.]; prepared by Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Department of Energy. Oak Ridge, Tenn.: U.S. Dept. of Energy, Office of Energy Research, Office of Health and Environmental Research, Ecological Research Division, c1987. url p. 332.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url p. 155, p. 226.
- The animal kingdom arranged in conformity with its organization / by the Baron Cuvier; the Crustacea, Arachnides and Insecta, by P.A. Latreille; translated from the French, with notes and additions, by H. M'Murtrie; in four volumes, with plates. New York: G. & C. & H. Carvill, 1831. url p. 392, p. 392.
- The animal kingdom, arranged according to its organization, serving as a foundation for the natural history of animals: and an introduction to comparative anatomy / Baron Cuvier. London, G. Henderson, 1834-37. url p. 348.
- The avifauna of British India and its dependencies: a systematic account, with descriptions of all the known species of birds inhabiting British India, observations on their habits, nidification, &c., tables of their geographical distribution in Persia by James A. Murray. London: Trübner, 1888-1890. url p. 620.
- The birds of Celebes and the neighbouring islands / A.B. Meyer and L.W. Wiglesworth. Berlin: R. Friedländer, 1898. url p. 764.
- The birds of New England / by Edward A. Samuels. Boston: Noyes, Holmes, 1870, c1867. url p. 457.
- The birds of New England and adjacent states. ..: arranged by a long-approved classification and nomenclature. .. with illustrations of many species of the birds, and accurate figures of their eggs / by Edward A. Samuels; with an appendix containing supplementary notes. Boston: Lockwood, Brooks, 1880. url p. 457.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , , , .
- The birds of Sibuyan Island, Romblon Province, Philippines: with particular reference to elevational distribution and biogeographic affinities / Steven M. Goodman, David E. Willard, Pedro C. Gonzales. 82 1995 [Chicago, Ill.]: Field Museum of Natural History, c1995. url p. 19.
- The birds of the Japanese Empire. London, R. H. Porter, 1890. url .
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 155, p. 155, p. 155.
- The edible and game birds of British India, with its dependencies and Ceylon. With woodcuts, lithographs, and coloured illustrations, by James A. Murray. .. Bombay, Education Society's Press, 1889. url p. 139.
- The game birds and wild fowl of the British Islands. Sheffield, Pawson & Brailsford, 1900. url .
- The geographical distribution of the family Charadriidae, or the plovers, sandpipers, snipes, and their allies / London; H. Sotheran & Co.,  url p. 366.
- The natural history of the USSR / Algirdas Knystautas; foreword by Vladimir Flint; [translation, John S. Scott]. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1987. url p. 219.
- The naturalist's library. Conducted by Sir William Jardine. Edinburgh, W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.]1833- url p. 213.
- The ornithological works of Arthur, ninth Marquis of Tweeddale / edited and revised by Robert G. Wardlaw Ramsay; together with a biographical sketch of the author by William Howard Russell. London: Taylor and Francis, 1881. url p. 396, p. 504.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle upon Tyne. Newcastle: T. & J. Hodgson; 1831-1838. url p. 272.
- Transactions of the Zoological Society of London. [London]: Published for the Zoological Society of London by Academic Press url p. 233, p. 233.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 3 1951 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 142, p. 37, p. 42.
- BirdLife International 2009. Tringa glareola. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 05February2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- Provider, Online Zoological Collections of Australian Museums
- Senckenberg, Collection Aves
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility, Western Palearctic migrants in continental Africa
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Upper Silesian Museum, Bytom, Upper Silesian Museum, Bird Observations
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 8132
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-176618
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2494622
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 176618
- IUCN ID: 247156
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNNF01060
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 4535
- Mean = 629.030 meters (2,063.747 feet), Standard Deviation = 1,030.670 based on 22,738 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- BirdLife International 2009. Tringa glareola. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 05 February 2012. [back]