- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Huxley, 1867
- Huxley, 1867
- Suborder: Limicolae () - Beddard, 1898
- Order: Charadriiformes () - Huxley, 1867
- Superorder: Charadriimorphae () - Huxley, 1867
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Members of the genus Tringa
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 19 species and subspecies in this genus:
T. brevipes (Gray-Tailed Tattler) · T. cinerea (Terek Sandpiper) · T. erythropus (Spotted Redshank) · T. flavipes (Lesser Long-Legged Tattler) · T. glareola (Wood Sandpiper) · T. guttifer (NordmannÌs Greenshank) · T. hypoleucos (Common Sandpiper) · T. hypoleucos hypoleucos (Common Sandpiper) · T. incana (Wandering Tattler) · T. macularia (Spotted Sandpiper) · T. melanoleuca (Big Yellow-Legged Plover) · T. nebularia (Common Greenshank) · T. ochropus (Green Sandpiper) · T. solitaria (American Green Sandpiper) · T. solitaria cinnamomea (Solitary Sandpiper) · T. solitaria solitaria (Solitary Sandpiper) · T. stagnatilis (Marsh Sandpiper) · T. totanus (Common Sandpiper) · T. totanus totanus (Common Sandpiper)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url .
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 611.
- A dictionary of birds, by Alfred Newton, assisted by Hans Gadow, with contributions from Richard Lydekker. .. Charles S. Roy. .. and Robert W. Shufeldt. .. London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 798, p. 798.
- A general history of birds. Winchester [Eng.]Printed by Jacob and Johnson, for the author;1821-28. url p. 245.
- A general system of nature: through the three grand kingdoms of animals, vegetables, and minerals; systematically divided into their several classes, orders, genera, species, and varieties with their habitations, manners, econo translated from Gmelin's last edition of the celebrated Systema Naturae by Charles Linné; ammended and enlarged by the improvements and discoveries of later naturalists and societies with appropriate London: Printed for Lackington, ALlen, and Co., Temple of the Muses, Finsbury Square; 1802-06. url p. 403.
- A geographical and comparative list of the birds of Europe and North America / by Charles Lucian Bonaparte. London: J. Van Voorst, 1838. url p. 50.
- A hand-book to the birds of Great Britain / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London: E. Lloyd, 1896-1897. url p. 270.
- A hand-list of genera and species of birds of the Indian empire, by E. C. Stuart Baker. .. Bombay, Printed by order of the committee of the Bombay natural history society url p. 218.
- A hand-list of the birds of Japan, by M. Ogawa. [Tokyo]1908. url p. 364.
- A handbook to the birds of British Bermah, including those found in the adjoining state of Karennee, by Eugene W. Oates. .. London, R.H. Porter, 1883. url .
- A history of British birds / by William Yarrell; ill. by 550 wood-engravings. London: John Van Voorst, 1856. url p. 692.
- A history of British birds by William Yarrell; illustrated by 535 wood-engravings. London: J. Van Voorst, 1845. url p. 645.
- A history of British birds, indigenous and migratory: including their organization, habits, and relation; remarks on classification and nomenclature; an account of the principal organs of birds, and observations relative to practical ornithology. .. By William Macgillivray. London, Printed for Scott, Webster and Geary, 1837-52. url p. 171.
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. London, Pub. for the author by R. H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url p. 113.
- A history of British birds. By the Rev. F. O. Morris. London, Groombridge and sons, [1851-57?] url .
- A history of the birds of Ceylon / London: Published by the author, 1880 [i.e. 1878-1880] url p. 873.
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url p. 87.
- A history of the earth and animated nature / with copious notes, to which is subjoined an appendix by Thomas Brown. Glasgow: A. Fullarton, 1840. url p. 582.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url p. 225.
- A manual of British vertebrate animals: or Descriptions of all the animals belonging to the classes, Mammalia, Aves, Reptilia, Amphibia, and Pisces, which have been hitherto observed in the British Islands: including the domesticated, natur By the Rev. Leonard Jenyns. Cambridge, Printed by J. Smith, sold by J. & J.J. Deighton; [etc., etc.]1835. url p. 208.
- A manual of the ornithology of the United States and of Canada. By Thomas Nuttall. .. Cambridge, Hilliard and Brown, 1832-1834. url p. 130, p. 626.
- A natural history of the nests and eggs of British birds. By the Rev. F.O. Morris. London, J.C. Nimmo, 1892. url p. 33.
- A sketch of Madeira: containing information for the traveller, or invalid visitor / by Edward Vernon Harcourt. London: John Murray, 1851. url p. 167.
- A systematic treatise on comparative physiology, introductory to the physiology of man / London: Published by John Churchill and Thos. Kaye, 1834. url p. 238.
- American ornithology, or, The natural history of the birds of the United States illustrated with plates engraved from drawings from nature by Alexander Wilson and Charles Lucian Bonaparte. Philadelphia: Porter & Coates, [1878?] url .
- American ornithology: or, The natural history of the birds of the United States / Philadelphia: Porter and Coates, [187-?] url .
- An introduction to the natural history of birds; being the article "Ornithology", from the seventh edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica. .. Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1839. url p. 624.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 209.
- Annals of natural history. London, R. and J.E. Taylor, url p. 285, p. 285, p. 285.
- Arctic zoology. .. London: Printed by Henry Hughs, 1784-1785. url p. 479.
- Arctic zoology. London: Printed by Henry Hughs, 1784-85. url p. 479.
- Austral avian record; a scientific journal devoted primarily to the study of the Australian avifauna. London: Witherby. url p. 114.
- Aves / 1891 London: Printed by Taylor and Francis, 1891. url p. 142.
- Birds of New York / by Elon Howard Eaton. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1910-1914. url p. 330.
- Birds of New York, by Elon Howard Eaton. .. Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14. url p. 330.
- Birds. By Eugene W. Oates. London: Taylor and Francis; [etc., etc.], 1889-98. url p. 268.
- Boletim da Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais. Lisboa, Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais, 1908- url p. 174.
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 3.
- British fauna, containing a compendium of the zoology of the British Islands: arranged according to the Linnean system. By W. Turton. .. Vol. I, including the classes Mammalia, birds, Amphibia, fishes and worms. .. Swansea, Printed by J. Evans, 1807. url p. 58.
- British zoology, London: Printed for Wilkie and Robinson [etc.], 1812. url p. 71.
- British zoology. Warrington, Printed by W. Eyres, for B. White, London, 1776-77. url p. 457.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 131, p. 218, p. 221, p. 225, p. 385, p. 73, p. 797.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 20.
- Catalogue of British Birds in the Collection of the British Museum / by G.R. Gray. London, 1863. url p. 164.
- Catalogue of British birds in the collection of the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the trustees, 1863. url .
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 208.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 500.
- Catalogue of the birds in the Museum Asiatic Society / by Edward Blyth. Published by order of the society. Calcutta: J. Thomas, 1849. url p. 270.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 49.
- Catalogue of the genera and subgenera of birds contained in the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1855. url p. 117.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 207.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 202.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 288.
- Coloured figures of the birds of the British Islands / issued by Lord Lilford. London: R. H. Porter, 1885-1897. url p. 122.
- Edinburgh encyclopaedia, conducted by David Brewster. .. with the assistance of gentlemen eminent in science and literature. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1830. url p. 24, p. 706.
- English cyclopaedia, a new dictionary of universal knowledge, conducted by Charles Knight. London, Bradbury, 1854-61. url .
- Familiar wild birds / [illustrations by A. Thornburn and others]. London: Cassel, 1903. url , .
- Familiar wild birds / by W. Swaysland; with coloured plates. London; New York: Cassell, 1883. url p. 170.
- Fauna of New England, 11: list of the aves / by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 81.
- Fauna of New England. Boston, Printed for the [Boston] Society [of Natural History] from the Gurdon Saltonstall Fund, 1904-25. url p. 81.
- Fauna of New England. List of the Araneida. Boston, For Society, 1908. url .
- Fauna of New England. by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 81.
- Hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. London, Allen, 1894-97. url p. 270, p. 270.
- Handbook for Southport: medical and general, with copious notices of the natural history of the district / edited by Edward Day McNicoll. Southport [Eng.]: R. Johnson, 1883. url p. 98.
- Handbook of zoology / by J. van der Hoeven. Cambridge: University Press, 1856-1858. url p. 400.
- Heligoland as an ornithological observatory; the result of fifty years' experience, Edinburgh, D. Douglas, 1895. url p. 201, p. 509.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 204, p. 30, p. 564, p. 736, p. 75, p. 809.
- Illustrated natural history of the three kingdoms: containing scientific and popular descriptions of man, quadrupeds, birds, fishes, reptiles, insects, &c. / edited and compiled by A. B. Strong. New York: Green & Spencer, 1848- url .
- Illustrations of British ornithology. By Prideaux John Selby. [Dublin], Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green and Longman, London; and1833. url p. 130, p. 130, p. 73.
- Insect miscellanies. London: C. Knight, 1831. url p. 413.
- Insect transformations. Boston, Lilly & Wait, 1831. url , p. 372.
- Insect transformations. London: C. Knight, 1838. url p. 372.
- Insect transformations. London: Charles Knight, Pall Mall East; Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, & Green, Paternoster Row; Oliver & Body, Edinburgh; T. Atkinson, Glasgow; Wakeman, Dublin; Willmer, Liverpool; & Baines & Co., Leeds, 1830 url p. 372.
- Instructions to young sportsmen in all that relates to guns and shooting. London, Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1830. url p. 229.
- Journal of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia: Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, 1817-1918. url p. 87.
- Kingsbridge and its surroundings. By S.P. Fox. Plymouth: Printed for the compiler by G.P. Friend, 1874. url p. 257.
- List of the specimens of birds in the collection of the British Museum. London: Printed by the order of the Trustees, 1848-1856. url p. 102.
- List of the specimens of the British animals in the collection of the British museum. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1845-55. url p. 98.
- Loudon's Natural History. Popular descriptions, tales and anecdotes of more than five hundred animals. London, G. Bell and sons, 1889. url .
- Magazine of natural history and journal of zoology, botany, mineralogy, geology and meteorology. London: printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1829-1837. url p. 176, p. 389, p. 395, p. 478, p. 578.
- Magazine of zoology and botany. Edinburgh; Dublin. url p. 307.
- Manual of British birds: including the essential characteristics of the orders, families, genera, and species. London: Printed for Adam Scott, 1846. url p. 74, p. 76.
- Michigan bird life, a list of all the bird species known to occur in the state together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, wtih special reference to its relation t [Lansing]Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url .
- Monographia anoplurorum Britanniae or An essay on the British species of parasitic insects belonging to the order of Anoplura of Leach, with the modern divisions of the general according to the views of Leach, Nitzsch, and Burmeister, by Henry Denny. . London: H. G. Bohn, 1842 url p. 229.
- Natural history of New York. .. Albany, D. Appleton & co. and Wiley & Putnam;1842-94. url p. 377.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 377.
- Natural history of insects: comprising their architecture, transformations, senses, food, habits--collection, preservation and arrangement. Boston: Lilly, Wait, Colman, and Holden, 1833. url p. 424.
- Nomenclature of North American birds chiefly contained in the United States National Museum. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1881. url .
- Occasional papers of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, Boston Society of Natural History, 1869-1941. url p. 81.
- Ornithologia, or the birds: a poem, in two parts with an introduction to their natural history; and copious notes / by James Jennings. London: Sherwood, Gilbert, and Piper, 1829. url p. vii.
- Ornithologisches Centralblatt. Leipzig: L.A. Kittler, 1876-82. url p. 52.
- Ornithology. Humming birds. .. By the editor. Edinburgh, W.H. Lizars; [etc., etc.][186-?] url p. 154.
- Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston [etc.]Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 208.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 227, p. 600.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url , p. 10, p. 146, p. 146, p. 148, p. 258, p. 51, p. 93, p. 94.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Washington, A. O. P. Nicholson, printer [etc.]1855-60. url .
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 51, p. 94.
- Scandinavian adventures, during a residence of upwards of twenty years; representing sporting incidents, and subjects of natural history, and devices for entrapping wild animals. With some account of the northern fauna. By L. Lloyd. London: R. Bentley, 1854. url p. 407.
- Shooting: a manual of practical information on this branch of British field sports / by Robert Blakey. London; Routledge, Warne, & Routledge, 1859. url p. 106.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 22 1882 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 227, p. 518.
- Supplement to the code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds. adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; prepared by a Committee of the Union. New York: The Union, 1889-1920. url p. 297.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url , p. 437, p. 437, p. 477, p. 477, p. 479, p. 479, p. 62.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 210.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 278, p. 297.
- The British cyclopædia of natural history: combining a scientific classification of animals, plants, and minerals. .. By authors eminent in their particular department. Arranged and ed. by Charles F. Partington. London: Orr & Smith, 1835-37. url p. 814.
- The Domestic habits of birds / [prepared by] the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. London: Charles Knight, 1833. url p. 99.
- The Edinburgh journal of science. v. 1-10, July 1824-Apr. 1829; new ser., v. 1-6, July 1829-Apr. 1832. EdinburghT. Clark [etc.] url p. 273.
- The Edinburgh new philosophical journal. Edinburgh: A. and C. Black [etc.] url p. 148.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 865.
- The London and Edinburgh philosophical magazine and journal of science. London: Richard and John E. Taylor, 1832-1840. url p. 101.
- The Zoological journal. London: W. Phillips, 1824- url p. 91, p. 91, p. 91.
- The animal kingdom arranged in conformity with its organization / by the Baron Cuvier; the Crustacea, Arachnides and Insecta, by P.A. Latreille; translated from the French, with notes and additions, by H. M'Murtrie; in four volumes, with plates. New York: G. & C. & H. Carvill, 1831. url p. 389.
- The animal kingdom, arranged according to its organization, serving as a foundation for the natural history of animals: and an introduction to comparative anatomy / Baron Cuvier. London, G. Henderson, 1834-37. url p. 346.
- The animal kingdom, arranged in conformity with its organization New York, G. & C. & H. Carvill, 1832. url p. 160.
- The animal kingdom: arranged in conformity with its organization / by the Baron Cuvier; translated from the French, and abridged for the use of schools by H. M'Murtrie. New York: G. & C. & H. Carvill, 1833, c1832. url p. 160.
- The avifauna of British India and its dependencies: a systematic account, with descriptions of all the known species of birds inhabiting British India, observations on their habits, nidification, &c., tables of their geographical distribution in Persia by James A. Murray. London: Trübner, 1888-1890. url p. 616.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , , , .
- The birds of South Africa, London, R. H. Porter, 1900-1906. url .
- The birds of South Africa, by Arthur C. Stark. .. London: R. H. Porter, 1900-1906. url p. 402.
- The birds of Tunisia; being a history of the birds found in the regency of Tunis. By J. I. S. Whitaker. London, R.H. Porter, 1905. url p. 324.
- The book of the seasons: or, The calendar of nature / by William Howitt. Philadelphia: Carey and Hart, 1842. url p. 115, p. 288.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 157, p. 157, p. 157.
- The cyclopædia; or, Universal dictionary of arts, sciences, and literature. London: Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme & Brown [etc.], 1819. url , .
- The dictionary of science and technical terms used in philosophy, literature, professions, commerce, arts, and trades / by W.M. Buchanan; with supplement edited by James A. Smith. London: G.Bell and Sons, 1884. url p. 442.
- The edible and game birds of British India, with its dependencies and Ceylon. With woodcuts, lithographs, and coloured illustrations, by James A. Murray. .. Bombay, Education Society's Press, 1889. url p. 135.
- The game birds and wild fowl of the British Islands. Sheffield, Pawson & Brailsford, 1900. url .
- The geographical distribution of the family Charadriidae, or the plovers, sandpipers, snipes, and their allies / London; H. Sotheran & Co.,  url p. 374.
- The journal of the Natural History Society of Siam. [London: Luzac, 1914]-1924. url p. 66.
- The natural history of Pliny. London, H. G. Bohn, 1855-57. url p. 506.
- The natural history of Pliny. Tr., with copious notes and illustrations, by the late John Bostock and H. T. Riley. London, H. G. Bohn, 1855-57. url p. 506.
- The natural history of cage birds, their management, habits, food, diseases, treatment, breeding, and the methods of catching them. London, H.J. Drane url p. 298.
- The natural history of cage birds; their management, habits, food, diseases, treatment, breeding, and the methods of catching them. Edinburgh;W. & R. Chambers, 1845. url p. 298.
- The naturalist's library. Conducted by Sir William Jardine. Edinburgh, W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.]1833- url p. 223.
- The zoologist's text-book, embracing the characters of the classes, orders, and genera, of almost the whole animal kingdom. .. By Captain Thomas Brown. .. Glasgow, A. Fullarton, & co.; [etc., etc.]1832. url p. 258.
- Third American edition of the British encyclopedia, or Dictionary of arts and sciences: comprising an accurate and popular view of the present improved state of human knowledge / by William Nicholson. Philadelphia: Mitchell, Ames and White, 1818. url .
- Ticks, a monograph of the Ixodoidea / by George H. F. Nuttall. .. [et al.]. Cambridge, [England]: University press, 1908-1926. url p. 155.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 119.
- Transactions of the Tyneside Naturalists' Field Club. Newcastle-upon-Tyne: F. & W. Dodsworth, 1850-1864. url p. 57.
- Transactions of the Zoological Society of London. [London]: Published for the Zoological Society of London by Academic Press url p. 17, p. 407.
- Young folk's illustrated book of birds: with numerous original, instructive and amusing anecdotes / by T. Bilby. New York: John W. Lovell Co., [188-?] url p. 196.
- Zoological sketches: a contribution to the out-door study of natural history / by Felix L. Oswald; with thirty-six illustrations by Hermann Faber. London: W.H. Allen, 1883. url p. 253.
- Zoology of New York; or, The New York Fauna; comprising detailed descriptions of all the animals hitherto observed within the state of New York, with brief notices of those occasionally found near its borders, and accompa by James E. De Kay. Albany: W. & A. White & J. Visscher: 1842-44. url p. 377.
- [Ornithological papers] 1876-84. url p. 30.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.