Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Italian:
Piro piro piccolo
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Common Names in Swedish:
Typically found in water with a depth of 0 to -1,479 meters (0 to -4,852 feet).
Biome: Marine .
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Huxley, 1867
- Huxley, 1867
- Suborder: Limicolae () - Beddard, 1898
- Order: Charadriiformes () - Huxley, 1867
- Superorder: Charadriimorphae () - Huxley, 1867
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 24-Jun-1996
Members of the genus Tringa
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 19 species and subspecies in this genus:
T. brevipes (Gray-Tailed Tattler) · T. cinerea (Terek Sandpiper) · T. erythropus (Spotted Redshank) · T. flavipes (Lesser Long-Legged Tattler) · T. glareola (Wood Sandpiper) · T. guttifer (NordmannÌs Greenshank) · T. hypoleucos (Common Sandpiper) · T. hypoleucos hypoleucos (Common Sandpiper) · T. incana (Wandering Tattler) · T. macularia (Spotted Sandpiper) · T. melanoleuca (Big Yellow-Legged Plover) · T. nebularia (Common Greenshank) · T. ochropus (Green Sandpiper) · T. solitaria (American Green Sandpiper) · T. solitaria cinnamomea (Solitary Sandpiper) · T. solitaria solitaria (Solitary Sandpiper) · T. stagnatilis (Marsh Sandpiper) · T. totanus (Common Sandpiper) · T. totanus totanus (Common Sandpiper)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url .
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 612.
- A collection of birds from Szechwan [by] Melvin A. Traylor, Jr. 53 1967 [Chicago]Field Museum of Natural History, 1967. url p. 16.
- A dictionary of birds, by Alfred Newton, assisted by Hans Gadow, with contributions from Richard Lydekker. .. Charles S. Roy. .. and Robert W. Shufeldt. .. London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 810, p. 810.
- A guide to the birds of Nepal Christopher Helm (Publishers) Ltd. url p. 156.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartet, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Witherby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 179.
- A hand-list of genera and species of birds of the Indian empire, by E. C. Stuart Baker. .. Bombay, Printed by order of the committee of the Bombay natural history society url p. 217.
- A hand-list of the birds of Japan, by M. Ogawa. [Tokyo]1908. url p. 363.
- A handbook to the birds of British Bermah, including those found in the adjoining state of Karennee, by Eugene W. Oates. .. London, R.H. Porter, 1883. url .
- A history of British birds / by William Yarrell; ill. by 550 wood-engravings. London: John Van Voorst, 1856. url p. 645, p. 654.
- A history of British birds by William Yarrell; illustrated by 535 wood-engravings. London: J. Van Voorst, 1845. url p. 607, p. 70.
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. .. London, Pub. for the author by R.H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url p. 117.
- A history of British birds. By the Rev. F. O. Morris. London, Groombridge and sons, [1851-57?] url .
- A history of British birds: the figures engraved on wood / by T. Bewick. Newcastle: Printed by Edward Walker, for T. Bewick, 1809. url p. 104.
- A history of the birds of Ceylon / London: Published by the author, 1880 [i.e. 1878-1880] url p. 867.
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url p. 127, p. 133.
- A list of the birds of Australia: containing the names and synonyms connected with each genus, species, and subspecies of birds found in Australia, at present known to the author / London: Witherby, 1913. url p. 66.
- A manual of Philippine birds / by Richard C. McGregor. Manila: Bureau of Printing, 1909. url p. 126.
- A manual of Philippine birds, by Richard C. McGregor. .. Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1909. url p. 126.
- A manual of the birds of Australia / by Gregory M. Mathews. .. and. .. Tom Iredale; illus. with coloured and monochrome plates by Lilian Medland. London: Witherby, 1921. url p. 139.
- A manual of the birds of Australia, by Gregory M. Mathews. .. and Tom Iredale. .. Illustrated with coloured and monochrome plates by Lilian Medland. Vol. I. Orders Casuarii to Columbæ. London, H.F. & G. Witherby, 1921. url p. 139.
- A natural history of the nests and eggs of British birds / by the Rev. F.O. Morris. London: John C. Nimmo, 1896. url .
- An account of the Arctic regions with a history and description of the northern whale-fishery / [London]: Printed for Archibald Constable and Co., Edinburgh; and Hurst, Robinson and Co.. .. London, 1820. url , .
- Aves polynesiae: a catalogue of the birds of the Polynesian subregion / by Lionel K. Wiglesworth. Berlin: R. Friedlaender & Sohn, 1891. url p. 64.
- Biodiversity trends and threats in Europe: development and test of a species trend indicator RIVM, UNEP-WCMC url p. 47, p. 65.
- Birds from Gabon and Moyen Congo [by] Austin L. Rand, Herbert Friedmann [and] Melvin A. Traylor, Jr. 41 1959 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1959. url p. 261.
- Birds of the Kelley-Roosevelts expedition to French Indo-China, by Outram Bangs and Josselyn Van Tyne. 18 1931 Chicago, 1931. url p. 46.
- Birds. London, Taylor and Francis, 1889-1898. url .
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 303.
- British oology: being illustrations of the eggs of British birds, with figures of each species, as far as practicable, drawn and coloured from nature: accompanied by descriptions of the materials and situation of th Newcastle upon Tyne: Published for the author by C. Empson, [1833?-1838?] url , p. 6.
- British zoology, London: Printed for Wilkie and Robinson [etc.], 1812. url p. 90.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 124, p. 177, p. 23, p. 371, p. 372, p. 377, p. 75, p. 80, p. 91.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1964 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 25, p. 85.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 29.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 101 1948 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 121, p. 421.
- Catalogue of British birds in the collection of the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the trustees, 1863. url .
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 122.
- Catalogue of the genera and subgenera of birds contained in the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1855. url p. 117.
- Check-list and bibliography on the occurrence of insects in birds' nests. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 200, p. 202, p. 373.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 113.
- Check-list of North American birds, prepared by a committee of the American Ornithologists' Union. New York, American Ornithologists' Union, 1910. url p. 124, p. 124.
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 186.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 181.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 269.
- Check-list of the species of fishes known from the Philippine Archipelago, Manila, Bureau of printing, 1910. url p. 126.
- Contributions to the knowledge of the East African ornithology. Birds collected by the Swedish Mount Elgon Expedition 1920. Lund, C. Blom, 1923. url p. 37.
- Country rambles, and Manchester walks and wild flowers: being rural wanderings in Cheshire, Lancashire, Derbyshire, & Yorkshire, by Leo H. Grindon. Manchester, Palmer & Howe, 1882. url p. 282.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 236, p. 405, p. 601, p. 685, p. 780.
- Distributional notes on Nepal birds [by] Robert L. Fleming and Melvin A. Traylor. 53 1968 [Chicago]Field Museum of Natural History, 1968. url p. 195.
- Edinburgh encyclopaedia, conducted by David Brewster. .. with the assistance of gentlemen eminent in science and literature. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1830. url p. 706.
- Handbook of zoology / by J. van der Hoeven. Cambridge: University Press, 1856-1858. url p. 398.
- Handbook of zoology; by J. van der Hoeven. Tr. from the 2d Dutch ed. by the Rev. William Clark. Cambridge: Longman, Brown, Green, Longmans, and Roberts, 1856-58. url p. 398.
- IUCN Directory of Protected Areas in Oceania IUCN url p. 194, p. 447.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 181, p. 198, p. 35, p. 413, p. 421, p. 426, p. 498, p. 505, p. 562, p. 58, p. 738, p. 759.
- Kingsbridge and its surroundings. By S.P. Fox. Plymouth: Printed for the compiler by G.P. Friend, 1874. url p. 257.
- Lachesis lapponica; or, A tour in Lapland, now first published from the original manuscript journal of. .. Linnaeus; by James Edward Smith. .. London: White and Cochrane, 1811. url p. 304.
- Magazine of natural history and journal of zoology, botany, mineralogy, geology and meteorology. London: printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1829-1837. url p. 395.
- Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, at Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass. 12 1884 Cambridge [Mass.]: The Museum, 1876-1940. url fig. in text, page 300, fig. in text, page 301.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 249.
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url p. 254.
- Nature Reserves of the Himalaya and the Mountains of Central Asia IUCN url p. 13, p. 269, p. 471.
- Pesticides monitoring journal. [Washington, D.C.: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1967-1981. url p. 27.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 174, p. 174, p. 671.
- Proceedings of the Committee of Science and Correspondence of the Zoological Society of London. [London]: Printed for the Society by Richard Taylor, [1831-1832] url p. 124, p. 124.
- Proceedings of the Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales. Mosman, New South Wales [etc.]The Society. url p. 30.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 10, p. 1019, p. 13, p. 235, p. 596, p. 627.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 550.
- Report of the Australian Association for the advancement of Science. Sidney, The Association. url p. 948.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 24.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 80.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 547, p. 548.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 151 1966 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 18.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 680.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 501.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 133.
- The Galathea Deep Sea Expedition, 1950-1952, described by members of the expedition / edited by Anton F. Bruun. .. [et al.], translated from the Danish by Reginald Spink. New York, : Macmillan,  url p. 227, p. 296.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 668, p. 728, p. 864.
- The Journal of the Natural History Society of Siam. [Bangkok, Thailand]: The Society, url p. 86.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 3127, p. 689.
- The Philosophical magazine: or Annals of chemistry, mathematics, astronomy, natural history and general science. London: Richard Taylor and Co. url p. 458.
- The animal kingdom arranged in conformity with its organization / by the Baron Cuvier; the Crustacea, Arachnides and Insecta, by P.A. Latreille; translated from the French, with notes and additions, by H. M'Murtrie; in four volumes, with plates. New York: G. & C. & H. Carvill, 1831. url p. 392.
- The animal kingdom, arranged according to its organization, serving as a foundation for the natural history of animals: and an introduction to comparative anatomy / Baron Cuvier. London, G. Henderson, 1834-37. url p. 348.
- The avifauna of British India and its dependencies: a systematic account, with descriptions of all the known species of birds inhabiting British India, observations on their habits, nidification, &c., tables of their geographical distribution in Persia by James A. Murray. London: Trübner, 1888-1890. url p. 619.
- The birds of Celebes and the neighbouring islands / A.B. Meyer and L.W. Wiglesworth. Berlin: R. Friedländer, 1898. url p. 770.
- The birds of Dorsetshire; a contribution to the natural history of the county, by J.C. Mansel-Pleydell. .. London: R.H. Porter; [etc., etc., 1888?] url p. 96, p. 96.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , , .
- The birds of Tunisia; being a history of the birds found in the regency of Tunis. By J. I. S. Whitaker. London, R.H. Porter, 1905. url p. 327.
- The birds of the Anamba Islands / by Harry C. Oberholser. Washington: G.P.O., 1917. url p. 75.
- The birds of the Anamba Islands, by Harry C. Oberholser. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1917. url p. 75.
- The birds. Leyden, 1899 url .
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 158, p. 158, p. 158.
- The edible and game birds of British India, with its dependencies and Ceylon. With woodcuts, lithographs, and coloured illustrations, by James A. Murray. .. Bombay, Education Society's Press, 1889. url p. 138.
- The geographical distribution of the family Charadriidae, or the plovers, sandpipers, snipes, and their allies / London; H. Sotheran & Co.,  url p. 371, p. 523.
- The history and antiquities of the town of Aberconwy and it neighbourhood: with notices of the natural history of the district / by the Rev. Robert Williams. .. Denbigh: Printed for the author by T. Gee, 1835. url p. 152.
- The journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1832-1936 url p. 322, p. 644.
- The natural history and antiquities of Selborne, in the county of Southampton / by the Rev. Gilbert White London: Swan Sonnenschein, 1888 url .
- The ornithological works of Arthur, ninth Marquis of Tweeddale / edited and revised by Robert G. Wardlaw Ramsay; together with a biographical sketch of the author by William Howard Russell. London: Taylor and Francis, 1881. url p. 396, p. 504.
- The three voyages of Captain James Cook round the world. .. London: Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown. .., 1821. url p. 325.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle upon Tyne. Newcastle: T. & J. Hodgson; 1831-1838. url p. 15, p. 272.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 3 1951 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 143.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 2905, p. 319.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- Mokpo Museum of Natural History, Mokpo Museum of Natural History Bird
- National Chemical Laboratory, IndOBIS, Indian Ocean Node of OBIS
- National Science Museum of Korea, National Science Museum of Korea Bird
- University of Gdansk, Bird Migration Research Station, Ringing Data from the Bird Migration Research Station, University of Gdańsk
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 12316
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-176625
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13758742
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 176625
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 142477