Common Names in English:
Fluted Clam, Fluted Giant Clam, Scaly Clam
Typically found in water with a depth of 0 to -4,135 meters (0 to -13,566 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superorder: Eulamellibranchia ()
- Subclass: Metabranchia ()
- Class: Bivalvia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Bivalves
- Phylum: Mollusca () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795 - Molluscs
- Superphylum: Eutrochozoa ()
- Infrakingdom: Lophotrochozoa ()
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Members of the genus Tridacna
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 6 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- 1994 IUCN red list of threatened animals Gland, Switzerland: IUCN, 1993 url p. 150.
- A catalog of recent Mollusca from all parts of the world. St. Petersburg, Fa: W.F. Webb, 19--. url p. 127, p. 152.
- A history of Crustacea: recent Malacostraca / by the Rev. Thomas R. R. Stebbing. New York: D. Appleton company, 1893. url p. 242.
- A history of Crustacea; recent Malacostraca, New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1893. url .
- A history of the earth and animated nature. By Oliver Goldsmith. With numerous notes from the works of the most distinguished British and foreign naturalists. .. Glasgow [etc.]Blackie and son url p. 583.
- A manual of conchology, according to the system laid down by Lamarck, with the late improvements by De Blainville exemplified and arranged for the use of students. By Thomas Wyatt. New York, Harper & brothers, 1838. url p. 72.
- A manual of the Mollusca: a treatise on recent and fossil shells / by Dr. S. P. Woodward; with an appendix of recent and fossil conchological discoveries to the present time, by Ralph Tate; illustrated by A. N. Waterhouse and Joseph Wilson Lowry. London: Virtue & Co., 1868. url p. 452, p. 537.
- A manual of the Mollusca: being a treatise on recent and fossil shells. London: C. Lockwood and Co., 1880. url p. 452, p. 537.
- A manual of the Mollusca: or, A rudimentary treatise of recent and fossil shells / by S. P. Woodward; illustrated by A. N. Waterhouse and Joseph Wilson Lowry. London, J. Weale, 1851-56. url p. 18, p. 290.
- A manual of the Mollusca; or, A rudimentary treatise of recent and fossil shells, by S. P. Woodward. Illustrated by A. N. Waterhouse and Joseph Wilson Lowry. London, J. Weale, 1851-56. url p. 18, p. 290.
- A popular history of the Mollusca; comprising a familiar account of their classification, instincts and habits, and of the growth and distinguishing characters of their shells. By Mary Roberts. London, Reeve and Benham, 1851. url .
- A synopsis of the classification of the British Palæozoic rocks / by the Rev. Adam Sedgwick; With a systematic description of the British Palæozoic fossils in the Geological museum of the University of Cambridge, by Frederick McCoy. London: J.W. Parker and Son; [etc.]1855. url p. 436.
- An assessment of the importance of the forests of South-East Viti Levu, Fiji IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 27.
- Animal parasites and messmates. New York, D. Appleton and Co., 1876. url .
- Annual report of the Trustees of the State Museum of Natural History for the year. .. Albany, N.Y.: The Trustees, 1886-1889. url p. 29.
- Annual report of the regents of the university of the state of New York on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History and the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 31.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 272.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url , p. 199.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 439, p. 439.
- Cassell's natural history. Ed. by P. Martin Duncan. .. London [etc]Cassell & Company, Limited, 1896. url .
- Catalogue of Japanese Mollusca in the Natural History Department, Tokyo Imperial Museum / by T. Iwakawa. Tokyo: The Museum, 1919. url p. 305.
- Catalogue of museum of natural history and miscellaneous antiquities, curios, &c., collected by Rev. Donald Miller. Bordighera, Italy, Manse Printing Press url p. 94.
- Catalogue of the marine mollusks of Japan, with descriptions of new species and notes on others collected by Frederick Stearns, by Henry A. Pilsbry. .. Detroit, Frederick Stearns, 1895. url p. 130, p. 130, p. 181, p. 181, p. 182, p. 59, p. 59.
- Checklist of CITES Species CITES, WCMC url p. 152, p. 218, p. 232.
- Checklist of CITES Species: a reference to the appendices to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora CITES url p. 129, p. 213, p. 231, p. 162, p. 228, p. 242.
- Checklist of fish and invertebrates listed in the CITES appendices and in EC Regulation 338/97 JNCC url p. 26, p. 19.
- Coral Reefs of the World. url p. 114, p. 121, p. 123, p. 126, p. 127, p. 129, p. 132, p. 160, p. 187, p. 199, p. 206, p. 243, p. 297, p. 298, p. 301, p. 303, p. 307, p. 311, p. 84.
- Elements of conchology: an introduction to the natural history of shells and of the animals which form them / by Lovell Reeve; in two volumes. London: Published by the Author, 1860. url p. 197, p. 75.
- Elements of natural history, adapted to the present state of the science, containing the generic characters of nearly the whole animal kingdom, and the descriptions of the principal species. By John Stark. .. Edinburgh: W. Blackwood; [etc., etc.], 1828. url p. 86.
- Handbook of zoology / by J. van der Hoeven. Cambridge: University Press, 1856-1858. url p. 740.
- Handbook of zoology; by J. van der Hoeven. Tr. from the 2d Dutch ed. by the Rev. William Clark. Cambridge: Longman, Brown, Green, Longmans, and Roberts, 1856-58. url p. 740.
- History of the earth and animated nature; with numerous notes from the works of the most distinguished British and foreign naturalists. London, 1859 url p. 583.
- IUCN Directory of Afrotropical Protected Areas IUCN, UNEP url p. 1033, p. 277.
- IUCN Directory of Protected Areas in Oceania IUCN url p. 129, p. 271, p. 273, p. 278, p. 447.
- Ipsa Linnaei conchylia. The shells of Linnaeus, determined from his manuscripts and collection. By Sylvanus Hanley. .. Also, an exact reprint of the Vermes Testacea of the "Systema naturae" and "Mantissa." London, Williams and Norgate, 1855. url p. 85.
- List of duplicates of Japanese shells, marine, land, and fresh water, collected personally by Frederick Stearns. .. during his two visits to Japan, 1889-90, and 1892, and offered for sale or exchange. Detroit, J. F. Eby, printer, 1896. url p. 6.
- Madagascar: an environmental profile IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 93.
- Marine Lamellibranchiata. Kobenhavn, B. Lunos Bogtrykkeri, 1909. url p. 262, p. 263.
- Memoirs: Australian Museum. Sydney: The Museum, 1851- url p. 251, p. 505, p. 67.
- Monograph of the Palaeontographical Society. London: Printed for the Palaeontographical Society, [1847?- url .
- Oceanus. Woods Hole, Mass., Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution url p. 60.
- Oil spill sensitivity of the western Indian Ocean islands: coastal data from the Comoros Islands, Madagascar, Mauritius, Reunion and the Seychelles WCMC url p. 101, p. 97, p. 99.
- "Pola" expedition: Mollusks. [5 works on mollusks resulting from investigations on voyages of the S.M. Schiff "Pola", 1890-1898] Wien, K.K. Hof- und Staatsdruckerei, 1896-1903. url p. 29.
- Principles of geology; being an attempt to explain the former changes of the earth's surface, by reference to causes now in operation. London, J. Murray, 1830-1833. url p. 455.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 345, p. 346, p. 348, p. 350, p. 357, p. 491, p. 492, p. 499, p. 507.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 124, p. 125, p. 244, p. 687.
- Proceedings of the Malacological Society of London. London, Dulau. url p. 210.
- Proceedings of the Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales. Mosman, New South Wales [etc.]The Society. url p. 164.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 478.
- Records of the Indian Museum. Calcutta: Pub. by order of the trustees of the Indian Museum, . 1907-1962. url p. 256.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 171.
- Report to the government of Ceylon on the pearl oyster fisheries of the gulf of Manaar, by W.A. Herdman. .. With supplementary reports upon the marine biology of Ceylon, by other naturalists. Pub. at the request of the colonial government by the Royal society. London, 1903-06. url p. 291.
- Shells and sea life. Phoenix, AZ: Miranda Enterprises, url p. 114, p. 5.
- Shells of land and water; a familiar introduction to the study of the mollusks. Chicago, A.W. Mumford, 1903. url , p. 70.
- Structural and systematic conchology: an introduction to the study of the Mollusca... By George W. Tryon, jr.... Philadelphia: The author, 1882-84. url p. 208, p. 208, p. 445, p. 445.
- Texas conchologist. [Houston, Houston Conchology Society], 1964- url p. 67, p. 75.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 436.
- The Australian zoologist. Sydney, Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales url p. 236, p. 261.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url , , p. 108, p. 111, p. 124, p. 150, p. 150, p. 164, p. 166, p. 181, p. 187, p. 189, p. 195, p. 213, p. 216, p. 217, p. 219, p. 220, p. 221, p. 222, p. 223, p. 227, p. 229, p. 232, p. 233, p. 234, p. 243, p. 244, p. 342, p. 394, p. 395, p. 407, p. 455, p. 462, p. 506, p. 57, p. 617, p. 619, p. 696, p. 73, p. 74, p. 75.
- The IUCN Invertebrate Red Data Book IUCN url p. 105, p. 106, p. 49, p. 50, p. 608, p. 631, p. 97, p. 99.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 325, p. 557.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 2373.
- The Mollusca and the Brachiopoda. Cambridge, Harvard College, Museum of Comparative Zoology]1908. url p. 439.
- The Nautilus. Melbourne, Fla., etc., American Malacologists, inc., etc. url p. 70, p. 70, p. 92, p. 93.
- The biology of marine animals. New York, Interscience Publishers url p. 672.
- The celebrated collection of shells formed by Mr. H.C. Roeters van Lennep. A catalogue of this valuable and extensive collection of shells. .. comprising a large number of exceedingly rare species, some unique, and all in the finest possible condition. Which will be sold by London, G.B. Sowerby url p. 70.
- The conchologist / Boston: Russell, Odiorne & Metcalf, 1834. url p. 163, p. 163.
- The conchologist's first book, or, A system of testaceous malacology, arranged expressly for the use of schools: in which the animals, according to Cuvier, are given with the shells, a great number of new species added, and the whole brought up, as accurately as possible, to the present condition of the science by Edgar A. Poe; with illustrations of two hundred and fifteen shells, presenting a correct type of each genus. Philadelphia: Published for the author, by Haswell, Barrington, and Haswell, 1839. url p. 68.
- The conchologist's first book: a system of testaceous malacology, arranged expressly for the use of schools, in which the animals, according to Cuvier, are given with the shells, a great number of new Philadelphia, Pub. for the Author, by Haswell, Barrington, and Haswell, 1840. url p. 72.
- The cruise of the Marchesa to Kamschatka & New Guinea: with notices of Formosa, Liu-Kiu, and various islands of the Malay archipelago / by F. H. H. Guillemard. London: J. Murray, 1886. url p. 373.
- The fisheries of the oriental region / Sydney: F. Cunninghame & Co., general printers, [between 1887 and 1890] url p. 80.
- The ocean world: being a description of the sea and some of its inhabitants / From the French of Louis Figuier. New YorkD. Appleton url p. 347, p. 655.
- The shell book: a popular guide to a knowledge of the families of living mollusks, and an aid to the identification of shells native and foreign / by Julia Ellen Rogers; eight plates in colour, and ninety-six in black-and-white mostly from photographs by A.R. Dugmore. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1908. url p. 364.
- The shell book; a popular guide to a knowledge of the families of living mollusks, and an aid to the identification of shells native and foreign, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1908. url .
- The standard natural history / edited by John Sterling Kingsley. Boston: S.E. Cassino, 1884-85. url p. 273.
- The standard natural history. Boston, S. E. Cassino and Company, 1884-85. url .
- Thesaurus conchyliorum, or, Monographs of genera of shells / edited by G.B. Sowerby, Jun., F.L.S. London: Sowerby. .., 1847-1887. url p. 180, p. 182.
- Transactions of Vassar Brothers Institute, and its Scientific Section. Poughkeepsie, N.Y.: Vassar Brothers Institute, [1883-1896]. url p. 279.
- World Checklist of Fish and Invertebrates Listed in the CITES Appendices Joint Nature Conservation Committee url p. 17.
- Zoological results based on material from New Britain, New Guinea, Loyalty Islands and elsewhere, collected during the years 1895, 1896, and 1897. Cambridge [Eng.]University Press1902 url p. 408.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- Wells, S. 1996. Tridacna squamosa. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 05February2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 24, 2007:
- Academy of Natural Sciences, Academy of Natural Sciences Malacology Database
- Academy of Natural Sciences, Academy of Natural Sciences OBIS Mollusc Database [Darwin Core]
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Academy of Natural Sciences OBIS Mollusc Database
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Natal Museum - Mollusc Collection
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Provider, Online Zoological Collections of Australian Museums
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 5564791
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13545296
- IUCN ID: 247107
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 9237