Common Names in English:
Larch Moth, Larch Lappet Moth, Larch Tolype, Larch Tolype Moth, The Larch Moth
'Moths of this family
are medium-sized with hairy
bodies that usually exceed hindwing
. Wingspan is 2.5-5.8 cm., and ocelli are absent. In both sexes, the antennae are bipectinate to the tips
. When resting, these moths hold
like a roof over their bodies. Larvae are colorful, longitudinally striped, and densely hairy. Some species are serious pests in forests
and on shade trees
. Larvae of some species build communal
webs (or "tents") in trees for protection from predators
, leaving these webs to feed
of the host tree, and other deciduous trees and shrubs
. Moths of this family pupate in a cocoon
from some species has been used for cloth, but it is carded and spun - a different technique than used for silk from the Silkworm Moth.
Species Tolype laricis
Male is blackish gray with lines usually invisible. Female looks like a small brownish female of Tolype velleda. (ref. 109458)
Caterpillar hosts: Larches, firs, pines, and other conifers. (ref. 109458)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Latreille, 1829
- Snodgrass, 1938
- Heymons, 1901
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Order: Lepidoptera () - Linnaeus, 1758 - Butterflies and Moths
- Cohort: Myoglossata ()
- Infraclass: Pterygota ()
- Subclass: Dicondylia ()
- Class: Insecta () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Insects
- Epiclass: Hexapoda ()
- Superclass: Panhexapoda ()
- Infraphylum: Atelocerata () - Heymons, 1901
- Subphylum: Mandibulata () - Snodgrass, 1938
- Phylum: Arthropoda () - Latreille, 1829 - Arthropods
- Superphylum: Panarthropoda () - Cuvier
- Infrakingdom: Ecdysozoa () - A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Name Status: Accepted Name .
Members of the genus Tolype
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 4 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A general index of the agricultural reports of the Patent Office, for twenty-five years, from 1837 to 1861; and of the Department of Agriculture, for fifteen years, from 1862 to 1876. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1879. url p. 187.
- A manual for the study of insects / by John Henry Comstock and Anna Botsford Comstock. Ithaca, N.Y.: The Comstock Pub. Co., 1920. url p. 699.
- A manual for the study of insects, by John Henry Comstock. .. and Anna Botsford Comstock. .. Ithaca, N.Y., Comstock Publishing Company, 1916 [c1895] url p. 699.
- A manual of the study of insects, Ithaca, N.Y.: Comstock publishing company, 1895. url p. 363, p. 699.
- An introduction to entomology, by John Henry Comstock. Ithaca, New York, The Comstock publishing co., inc., 1933. url p. 1042.
- An introduction to entomology. Ithaca, N.Y., Comstock, 1949. url p. 1062.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 550, p. 78.
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York, New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 209, p. 44.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 123.
- Annual report / Entomological Society of Ontario. Toronto, The Society. url p. 100, p. 104, p. 66, p. 71, p. 84.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 492.
- Annual report of the New Jersey state museum. 1901-12, 1914. Trenton, New Jersey. [etc.]1902-15. url p. 492.
- Annual report of the Quebec Society for the Protection of Plants from Insects and Fungous Diseases. Quebec: The Society, 1909-1920. url p. 59.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 335, p. 435, p. 469, p. 482, p. 498, p. 538, p. 587, p. 593.
- Annual report of the Regents of the University on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History, with catalogues of the same. Albany, N.Y.: The University, 1848-1873. url p. 193.
- Annual report of the Trustees of the State Museum of Natural History for the year. .. Albany, N.Y.: The Trustees, 1886-1889. url p. 140, p. 141, p. 339, p. 353.
- Annual report on the New York State Museum of Natural History. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 180, p. 192, p. 27.
- As nature shows them: moths and butterflies of the United States, east of the Rocky Mountains: with over 400 photographic illustrations in the text and many transfers of species from life / by Sherman F. Denton. Boston: J.B. Millet, c1900. url p. 9, p. 90.
- As nature shows them; moths and butterflies of the United States, east of the Rocky mountains. With over 400 photographic illustrations in the text and many transfers of species from life. BostonB. Whidden1900 url , p. 90.
- Bibliographical catalogue of the described tranformations of North American Lepidoptera by Henry Edwards. Washington: G.P.O., 1889. url .
- Bibliography of the more important contributions to American economic entomology. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1889-1905. url p. 178, p. 272, p. 43.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 335, p. 435, p. 469, p. 473, p. 482, p. 498, p. 538, p. 587, p. 593, p. 817, p. 912, p. 923.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 79.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 445, p. 477.
- Bulletin of the Brooklyn Entomological Society. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Society, url p. 153, p. 161, p. 40.
- Bulletin of the Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences. Buffalo, N.Y.: The Society, 1874- url p. 123, p. 123.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences. Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1902-1971. url p. 89.
- Catalog of hymenoptera in America north of Mexico / prepared cooperatively by specialists on the various groups of Hymenoptera under the direction of Karl V. Krombein. .. [et al.]. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1979- url p. 2585, p. 457.
- Cooperative economic insect report. Hyattsville, MD. [etc.]Plant Protection and Quarantine Programs Animal and Plant Health Service. url p. 345.
- Entomological contributions by J.A. Lintner Albany: Weed, Parsons, 1872-1878 url p. 180, p. 180, p. 192, p. 192, p. 61, p. 61.
- Entomological news, and proceedings of the Entomological Section of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia[Entomological Rooms of the Academy of Natural Sciences] url p. 202, p. 202, p. 238, p. 238.
- Fifth report of the United States Entomological Commission, being a revised and enlarged edition of Bulletin no. 7, on insects injurious to forest and shade trees. By Alpheus S. Packard. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1890. url p. 773, p. 893, p. 944.
- Illinois biological monographs. Urbana, Univ. of Illinois Press. url p. 103.
- Index to the literature of American economic entomology. Melrose Highlands, Mass. [etc.], American Association of Economic Entomologists [etc.], 1917-62. url p. 310.
- Insects affecting park and woodland trees / by Ephraim Porter Felt. Albany: New York State Education Dept., 1905-1906. url p. 871, p. 871.
- Insects injurious to forest and shade trees. By A. S. Packard, jr., M.D. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1881. url p. 274.
- Insects of New Jersey; a list of the species occurring in New Jersey, with notes on those of economic importance, by John B. Smith. Trenton, N.J., MacCrellish & Quigley, state printers, 1900. url p. 394, p. 394.
- Journal of economic entomology. [College Park, Md., etc.]Entomological Society of America [etc.] url p. 492.
- Journal of the New York Entomological Society. Lawrence, Kan.: Allen Press [etc.] url p. 158.
- List of the specimens of lepidopterous insects in the collection of the British Museum / London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1854-66. url p. 1947.
- Memoirs of the American Entomological Society. Philadelphia, American Entomological Society, 1916- url p. 267, p. 787.
- Memorial of life and entomologic work of Joseph Albert Lintner, state entomologist, 1874-98, by Ephraim Porter Felt. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1899. url p. 435, p. 469, p. 473, p. 482, p. 498, p. 538, p. 587, p. 593.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 123, p. 68.
- Papilio. New York, New York Entomological Club. url , p. 25.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Philadelphia. Philadelphia: [Printed by the Society], 1863-1867. url p. 387.
- Psyche. Cambridge, Mass.: Cambridge Entomological Club url p. 129, p. 194, p. 584.
- Report of the State Entomologist on injurious and other insects of the state of New York. Albany: Weed, Parsons and Co.; University of the State of New York, 1882- url , p. 123, p. 20, p. 21, p. 219, p. 351, p. 354, p. 356, p. 361, p. 363, p. 373, p. 375, p. 523, p. 551, p. 576, p. 582, p. 588, p. 606, p. 627, p. 630, p. 817, p. 87, p. 89, p. 90, p. 912, p. 923.
- Report of the United States Entomological Commission. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1878-90. url p. 893, p. 944.
- Report on the injurious and other insects of the State of New York. Albany: State Entomologist, 1882-1898. url p. 356, p. 523, p. 551, p. 606, p. 627, p. 87, p. 90.
- The Canadian entomologist. Ottawa [etc.]Entomological Society of Canada [etc.] url p. 219, p. 219, p. 23, p. 23, p. 35, p. 35, p. 47.
- The classification of lepidopterous larvae, with ten plates, by Stanley Black Fracker. Urbana, University of Illinois, c1915 url p. 103, p. 103.
- The white pine (Pinus strobus Linnaeus) / rev. and enl. by B.E. Fernow, with contributions. Insect enemies of the white pine / by F.H. Chittenden. The wood of the white pine / by Filibert Roth. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1899 url p. 60.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 16, 2012.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2602592
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Lep-74806.0
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 1038422
- http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/taxonomy?f=84&sci=Lasiocampidae&com=Lasiocampids [back]