Typically found in water with a depth of 0 to -4,563 meters (0 to -14,970 feet).
Biome: Marine .
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795
- Cuvier, 1795
- Snails and Slugs
- Ponder & Lindberg, 1996
- Cox, 1960
- Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Suborder: Hypsogastropoda () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Order: Sorbeoconcha () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Superorder: Caenogastropoda () - Cox, 1960
- Subclass: Orthogastropoda () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1996
- Class: Gastropoda () - Cuvier, 1795 - Snails and Slugs
- Phylum: Mollusca () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795 - Molluscs
- Superphylum: Eutrochozoa ()
- Infrakingdom: Lophotrochozoa ()
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Members of the genus Terebra
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 15 species and subspecies in this genus:
T. arcas (Arcas Auger) · T. concava (Concave Auger) · T. crenifera (Western Crenate Auger) · T. dislocata (Eastern Auger) · T. fijiensis (Ladyfish) · T. floridana (Yellow Auger) · T. glossema (Tongue Auger) · T. nassula (Woven Auger) · T. pedroana (San Pedro Auger) · T. protexta (Fine-Ribbed Auger) · T. punctatostriata (Nami-Utsubo) · T. rushii (Porcelain Auger) · T. taurina (Flame Auger) · T. troendlei (Spottedface Moray) · T. vinosa (Lilac Auger)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalog of recent Mollusca from all parts of the world. St. Petersburg, Fa: W.F. Webb, 19--. url p. 101, p. 152.
- A catalogue of the shells contained in the collection of the late Earl of Tankerville: arranged according to the Lamarckian conchological system; together with an appendix containing descriptions of many new species / by G. B. Sowerby; illustrated with several coloured plates. London: Printed by E. J. Stirling for G. B. Sowerby, 1825. url p. 75.
- A catalogue of the shells, arranged according to the Lamarckian system: with their authorities, synonymes, and references to works where figured or described: together with a supplement containing additional species, corrections, and alterations / contained in the collection of John C. Jay. New York: Craighead, 1852. url p. 361.
- A conchological manual / by G.B. Sowerby, jun. London: H.G. Bohn, 1852. url p. 290, p. 331.
- A manual of conchology, according to the system laid down by Lamarck, with the late improvements by De Blainville exemplified and arranged for the use of students. By Thomas Wyatt. New York, Harper & brothers, 1838. url p. 159, p. 160.
- A manual of the Mollusca, or, A rudimentary treatise of recent and fossil shells / by S.P. Woodward; illustrated by A.N. Waterhouse and Joseph Wilson Lowry. London: John Weale, 1851. url p. 111, p. 5.
- A manual of the Mollusca: a treatise on recent and fossil shells / by Dr. S. P. Woodward; with an appendix of recent and fossil conchological discoveries to the present time, by Ralph Tate; illustrated by A. N. Waterhouse and Joseph Wilson Lowry. London: Virtue & Co., 1868. url p. 524.
- A manual of the Mollusca: being a treatise on recent and fossil shells. London: C. Lockwood and Co., 1880. url p. 524.
- A manual of the Mollusca: or, A rudimentary treatise of recent and fossil shells / by S. P. Woodward; illustrated by A. N. Waterhouse and Joseph Wilson Lowry. London, J. Weale, 1851-56. url p. 111, p. 5.
- A manual of the Mollusca; or, A rudimentary treatise of recent and fossil shells, by S. P. Woodward. Illustrated by A. N. Waterhouse and Joseph Wilson Lowry. London, J. Weale, 1851-56. url p. 111, p. 5.
- An introduction to conchology; or, Elements of the natural history of molluscous animals / by George Johnston. London: J. Van Voorst, 1850. url p. 417.
- Annual report - Western Society of Malacologists. Pomona, Calif., Western Society of Malacologists. url p. 40.
- Annual report of the regents of the university of the state of New York on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History and the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 37.
- Boletim da Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais. Lisboa, Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais, 1908- url p. 215.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 43 1904 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 249, p. 249.
- Catalogue of marine shells in Lorenzo G. Yates' collection, Santa Barbara, Cal. Santa Barbara, Cal., 1886. url p. 71.
- Catalogue of museum of natural history and miscellaneous antiquities, curios, &c., collected by Rev. Donald Miller. Bordighera, Italy, Manse Printing Press url p. 74.
- Catalogue of the Doane collection of shells, presented by Mrs. Rose Delano to the Marion natural history society. s.n., The Wareham press, 19--? url p. 26.
- Catalogue of the marine mollusks of Japan, with descriptions of new species and notes on others collected by Frederick Stearns, by Henry A. Pilsbry. .. Detroit, Frederick Stearns, 1895. url p. 12, p. 12.
- Comparative zoology, structural and systematic, for use in schools and colleges, by James Orton. Cincinnati, American book company url p. 276.
- Conchologia iconica, or, Illustrations of the shells of molluscous animals / by Lovell Augustus Reeve. London: Reeve, Brothers, 1843-1878. url p. 14.
- Conchological miscellany. Boston, etc., 1834?-1883? url p. 172.
- Elements of conchology: an introduction to the natural history of shells and of the animals which form them / by Lovell Reeve; in two volumes. London: Published by the Author, 1860. url p. 55.
- Elements of natural history, adapted to the present state of the science, containing the generic characters of nearly the whole animal kingdom, and the descriptions of the principal species. By John Stark. .. Edinburgh: W. Blackwood; [etc., etc.], 1828. url p. 30.
- Figures of molluscous animals, selected from various authors. Etched for the use of students by Maria Emma Gray. .. London, Longman, Brown, Green and Longmans, 1859. url p. 17, p. 21.
- General zoölogy; practical, systematic and comparative; being a revision and rearrangement of Orton's Comparative zoölogy, by Charles Wright Dodge... Cincinnati [etc]American book company url p. 132, p. 511.
- Geological magazine. London [etc.]Cambridge University Press. url p. 559.
- Handbook of zoology / by J. van der Hoeven. Cambridge: University Press, 1856-1858. url p. 808.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 72.
- Historical and descriptive account of British India, from the most remote period to the present time New YorkJ. & J. Harper1832 url p. 104.
- Index testaceologicus, or, A catalogue of shells, British and foreign, arranged according to the Linnean system: with the Latin and English names, references to authors, and places where found: illustrated with 2300 figures / by W. Wood. London: Printed for W. Wood, 1825. url p. 16.
- Journal of conchology. London: D. Bogue. url .
- List of Mollusca and shells in the collection of the British Museum, collected and described by Eydoux and Souleyet. LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees1855 url p. 25.
- Manual of conchology, structural and systematic: with illustrations of the species / by George W. Tryon, Jr. Philadelphia: Published by the Author, Academy of Natural Sciences, 1879-1898. url p. 4, p. 4, p. 56, p. 56, p. 57, p. 57.
- Memoirs: Australian Museum. Sydney: The Museum, 1851- url p. 249, p. 259, p. 269, p. 481.
- Narrative of the voyage of H. M. S. Rattlesnake, commanded by the late Captain Owen Stanley. .. during the years 1846-50. .. To which is added Mr. E. B. Kennedy's expedition for the exploration of the Cape York Peninsula. By John Macgillivray. .. London, T. & W. Boone, 1852. url p. 363, p. 365.
- Narrative of the voyage of H.M.S. Rattlesnake, commanded by the late Captain Owen Stanley during the years 1846-50: to which is added Mr. E.B. Kennedy's expedition for the exploration of the Cape York Peninsula / London: T. & W. Boone, 1852. url .
- Nature neighbors, containing articles by Gerald Alan Abbott, Dr. Albert Schneider, William Kerr Higley...and other eminent naturalists. Ed. by Nathaniel Moore Banta: six hundred forty-eight full-page color plates, con 5 1914 Chicago, American Audobon association[c1914] url p. 20.
- Notes by a naturalist on the "Challenger", being an account of various observations made during the voyage of H.M.S. "Challenger" around the world, in the years 1872-1876, under the commands of Capt. Sir G. S. Nares and Capt. F. T. Thomson. By H. N. Moseley. London, Macmillan and co., 1879. url p. 467.
- Notes by a naturalist: an account of observations made during the voyage of H.M.S. "Challenger" round the world in the years 1872-1876 / by H. N. Moseley. New York: Putnam, 1892. url p. 404.
- On growth and form / by D'Arcy Wentworth Thompson. Cambridge: University Press; 1945. url p. 774, p. 816.
- On growth and form. Cambridge [Eng.]University press, 1917. url , p. 557, p. 559.
- Outlines of general zoology. New York [N.Y.]: Rudolph Garrigue, 1851. url , .
- "Pola" expedition: Mollusks. [5 works on mollusks resulting from investigations on voyages of the S.M. Schiff "Pola", 1890-1898] Wien, K.K. Hof- und Staatsdruckerei, 1896-1903. url p. 44.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 78, p. 78.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 544, p. 555, p. 68.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 253.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 159, p. 160, p. 280, p. 308, p. 318.
- Quarterly journal of conchology. London, D. Bogue. url p. 73.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 378.
- Report. New York url p. 85.
- Seas, maps, and men; an atlas-history of man's exploration of the oceans. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday url p. 297.
- Shell catalogues. New York, etc., 1845-81 url p. 19.
- Shells and sea life. Phoenix, AZ: Miranda Enterprises, url p. 148, p. 4, p. 4.
- Terebridae of the Japanese empire / by Y. Hirase. Kyoto, Hirase Conchological Museum, 1917. url p. 47.
- Texas conchologist. [Houston, Houston Conchology Society], 1964- url p. 102, p. 25, p. 53.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 9 1867 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 220.
- The Mollusca and the Brachiopoda. Cambridge, Harvard College, Museum of Comparative Zoology]1908. url p. 246, p. 249.
- The Museum. Albion, N.Y.: W.F. Webb, [1894-1900] url p. 279.
- The Nautilus. Melbourne, Fla., etc., American Malacologists, inc., etc. url p. 125, p. 125, p. 63, p. 63, p. 79, p. 91.
- The Oo?logist for the student of birds, their nests and eggs. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886- url .
- The West American scientist. San Diego, Calif.: C.R. Orcutt, 1884-1919. url .
- The conchologist / Boston: Russell, Odiorne & Metcalf, 1834. url p. 193.
- The conchologist's first book, or, A system of testaceous malacology, arranged expressly for the use of schools: in which the animals, according to Cuvier, are given with the shells, a great number of new species added, and the whole brought up, as accurately as possible, to the present condition of the science by Edgar A. Poe; with illustrations of two hundred and fifteen shells, presenting a correct type of each genus. Philadelphia: Published for the author, by Haswell, Barrington, and Haswell, 1839. url p. 133.
- The elements of fossil conchology; according to the arrangement of Lamarck; with the newly established genera of other authors. By Captain Thomas Brown. .. Illustrated by twelve engravings on steel. Edinburgh, Adam & Charles Black, Houlston & Stoneman;1843. url p. 31.
- The fauna and geography of the Maldive and Laccadive archipelagoes: being the account of the work carried on and of the collections made by an expedition during the years 1899 and 1900 / Ed. by J. Stanley Gardiner. Cambridge: University Press, 1903-06. url p. 602.
- The gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 371.
- The life of the mollusca / London, Methuen & Co., 1913. url p. 157.
- The oist. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886-1941. url .
- The royal natural history / edited by Richard Lydekker; with preface by P.L. Sclater; illustrated with seventy-two coloured plates and sixteen hundred engravings by W. Kuhnert, F. Specht, P.J. Smit, G. Mützel, A.T. Elwes, J. W London and New York: Frederick Warne & Co., 1893-1896. url p. 371.
- The royal natural history. With pref. by P. L. Sclater. Illustrated with 72 col. plates and 1600 engravings. London, F. Warne, 1893-96. url p. 371.
- The shell book: a popular guide to a knowledge of the families of living mollusks, and an aid to the identification of shells native and foreign / by Julia Ellen Rogers; eight plates in colour, and ninety-six in black-and-white mostly from photographs by A.R. Dugmore. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1908. url .
- The shell book; a popular guide to a knowledge of the families of living mollusks, and an aid to the identification of shells native and foreign, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1908. url .
- Thesaurus conchyliorum, or, Monographs of genera of shells / edited by G.B. Sowerby, Jun., F.L.S. London: Sowerby. .., 1847-1887. url p. 149, p. 153, p. 189.
- Treatise on Malacology; or, the natural classification of shells and shell fish. By William Swainson. .. London: Printed for Longman, Orme, Brown, Green & Longmans [etc.], 1840. url p. 417, p. 417, p. 417.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 16, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 24, 2007:
- Academy of Natural Sciences, Academy of Natural Sciences Malacology Database
- Academy of Natural Sciences, Academy of Natural Sciences OBIS Mollusc Database [Darwin Core]
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Academy of Natural Sciences OBIS Mollusc Database
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Ifremer BIOCEAN database
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Natal Museum - Mollusc Collection
- National Chemical Laboratory, IndOBIS, Indian Ocean Node of OBIS
- Provider, Online Zoological Collections of Australian Museums
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 1926657
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 15586788
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 641370