Common Names in English:
Black Horse Fly
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Latreille, 1829
- Snodgrass, 1938
- Heymons, 1901
- Superorder: Panorpida ()
- Infraclass: Pterygota ()
- Subclass: Dicondylia ()
- Epiclass: Hexapoda ()
- Superclass: Panhexapoda ()
- Infraphylum: Atelocerata () - Heymons, 1901
- Subphylum: Mandibulata () - Snodgrass, 1938
- Phylum: Arthropoda () - Latreille, 1829 - Arthropods
- Superphylum: Panarthropoda () - Cuvier
- Infrakingdom: Ecdysozoa () - A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Tabanus americanus Forster • Tabanus fulvopilosus Johnson • Tabanus nantuckensis Hine • Tabanus niger Palisot De Beauvois • Tabanus validus Wiedemann
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 2009
Members of the genus Tabanus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 31 species and subspecies in this genus:
T. aar (Horse Fly) · T. americanus (American Horse Fly) · T. atratus (Black Horse Fly) · T. conterminus (Salt Marsh Greenhead) · T. enderleini (Horse Fly) · T. fulvicallus (Horse Fly) · T. fulvulus (Horse Fly) · T. fumeus (Horse Fly) · T. gladiator (Horse Fly) · T. imitans (Horse Fly) · T. lineola (Striped Horse Fly) · T. longiusculus (Horse Fly) · T. melanocerus (Horse Fly) · T. molestus (Horse Fly) · T. nigrescens (Horse Fly) · T. nigrovittatus (Greenhead Horse Fly) · T. pallidescens (Horse Fly) · T. particaecus (Horse Fly) · T. petiolatus (Horse Fly) · T. proximus (Horse Fly) · T. pumilus (Horse Fly) · T. punctifer (Western Horsefly) · T. rufrofrater (Horse Fly) · T. sparus (Horse Fly) · T. strangmannii (Horse Fly) · T. stygius (Horse Fly) · T. sulcifrons (Horse Fly) · T. townsvilli (Horse Fly) · T. trijunctus (Horse Fly) · T. trimaculatus (Horse Fly) · T. zythicolor (Horse Fly)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A general index of the agricultural reports of the Patent Office, for twenty-five years, from 1837 to 1861; and of the Department of Agriculture, for fifteen years, from 1862 to 1876. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1879. url p. 186.
- A laboratory guide to the study of parasitology, by W. B. Herms. New York, The Macmillan company, 1913. url p. 12, p. 22.
- A manual for the study of insects / by John Henry Comstock and Anna Botsford Comstock. Ithaca, N.Y.: The Comstock Pub. Co., 1920. url p. 455, p. 698.
- A manual for the study of insects, by John Henry Comstock. .. and Anna Botsford Comstock. .. Ithaca, N.Y., Comstock Publishing Company, 1916 [c1895] url p. 455, p. 698.
- A manual for the study of insects. Rev. ed. By John Henry Comstock, and Anna Botsford Comstock, and Glenn W. Herrick. Ithaca, N. Y., Comstock Pub. Co., 1930. url p. 306, p. 400.
- A manual of the study of insects, Ithaca, N.Y.: Comstock publishing company, 1895. url p. 455, p. 698.
- A report on the insects of Massachusetts, injurious to vegetation. Published agreeably to an order of the Legislature, by the Commissioners on the Zoological and Botanical Survey of the State. Cambridge, Folsom, Wells, and Thurston, printers to the University, 1841. url p. 458.
- A text book of veterinary pathology for students and practitioners, Chicago, A. Eger, 1916. url .
- A text-book of entomology including the anatomy, physiology, embryology and metamorphoses of insects. New York, Macmillan, 1909. url p. 627.
- A textbook of medical entomology / by Walter Scott Patton and Francis William Cragg. London: Christian Literature Society for India, 1913. url p. 296.
- A treatise on some of the insects injurious to vegetation / Boston: William White, printer to the state, 1862 url , .
- A treatise on some of the insects of New England which are injurious to vegetation / by Thaddeus William Harris. Boston: Printed by White & Potter, 1852. url p. 512.
- Agricultural entomology for students, farmers, fruit-growers and gardeners / by Herbert Osborn. Philadelphia; Lea & Febiger, 1916. url p. 266, p. 346.
- Agriculture of New York: comprising an account of the classification, composition and distribution of the soils and rocks, and the natural waters of the different geological formations; together with a condensed view of the c by Ebenezer Emmons. Albany: C. Van Benthuysen & co., 1846-54. url p. 182.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 1013.
- Annals of the Entomological Society of America. [College Park, Md., etc.]: Entomological Society of America. url p. 373.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 216.
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 132, p. 438.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url .
- Annual report of the Entomologist of the State Experiment Station of the University of Minnesota, to the Governor for the year. .. Delano: Eagle Print. Co., -1902 url p. 243.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 654, p. 742.
- Annual report of the New Jersey state museum. 1901-12, 1914. Trenton, New Jersey. [etc.]1902-15. url p. 654, p. 742.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 18, p. 4.
- Annual report of the Quebec Society for the Protection of Plants from Insects and Fungous Diseases. Quebec: The Society, 1909-1920. url .
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 257, p. 292, p. 389.
- Annual report on the noxious, beneficial and other insects of the State of Missouri. Jefferson City, Mo.: Ellwood Kirby, 1869-1877. url p. 122.
- Automatic sprayer for control of biting flies on cattle. Urbana, 1952. url p. 3.
- Bibliography of the more important contributions to American economic entomology. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1889-1905. url p. 135, p. 135, p. 177.
- Birds in their relation to man; Philadelphia and London, J. B. Lippincott company, 1935. url p. 120.
- Birds in their relations to man: a manual of economic ornithology for the United States and Canada / by Clarence M. Weed and Ned Dearborn. Philadelphia; Lippincott, 1916. url p. 120.
- Birds in their relations to man; a manual of economic ornithology for the United States and Canada / by Clarence M. Weed and Ned Dearborn. London: Lippincott, 1916. url p. 120.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 257, p. 292, p. 438, p. 565, p. 606, p. 624, p. 650, p. 879.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 71.
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url , , , , p. 213, p. 75, p. 79, p. 80.
- Bulletin / State Geological and Natural History Survey of Connecticut. [Hartford]: The Survey, 1904- url p. 345.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Division of Entomology. Washington: G.P.O., 1883-1904. url p. 53.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 52.
- Bulletin of the Brooklyn Entomological Society. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Society, url p. 116.
- Bulletin of the Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History. Bloomington, Ill.: The Laboratory, 1876-1918. url , , , p. 244, p. 244, p. 272, p. 272, p. 275, p. 492, p. 492, p. 500, p. 500, p. 507, p. 507.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 4, p. 88.
- Bulletin, Gulf Biologic Station, Baton Rouge, Louisiana State Board of Agriculture and Immigration., 1902-1910. url p. 27, p. 68.
- Catalog of hymenoptera in America north of Mexico / prepared cooperatively by specialists on the various groups of Hymenoptera under the direction of Karl V. Krombein. .. [et al.]. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1979- url , p. 1707, p. 1712, p. 2583.
- Class book of economic entomology, Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co.[c1919] url p. 252, p. 91.
- Coleoptera of the state of New York. Albany: C. Van Benthuysen & Co., 1854 url p. 260.
- Color and color-pattern mechanism of tiger beetles, with twenty-nine black and three colored plates, by Victor E. Shelford. Urbana, Ill., University of Illinois, 1917 url p. 180.
- Cooperative economic insect report. Hyattsville, MD. [etc.]Plant Protection and Quarantine Programs Animal and Plant Health Service. url , p. 1013, p. 1058, p. 1212, p. 177, p. 18, p. 20, p. 20, p. 20, p. 20, p. 20, p. 22, p. 22, p. 25, p. 25, p. 250, p. 26, p. 269, p. 27, p. 293, p. 298, p. 3, p. 322, p. 37, p. 38, p. 39, p. 4, p. 4, p. 4, p. 4, p. 4, p. 41, p. 428, p. 431, p. 463, p. 495, p. 501, p. 502, p. 540, p. 576, p. 591, p. 6, p. 602, p. 606, p. 608, p. 611, p. 622, p. 625, p. 629, p. 630, p. 648, p. 660, p. 681, p. 686, p. 689, p. 700, p. 704, p. 709, p. 715, p. 717, p. 724, p. 726, p. 738, p. 743, p. 799, p. 802, p. 811, p. 815, p. 824, p. 832, p. 837, p. 847, p. 858, p. 872, p. 886, p. 888, p. 9, p. 906, p. 926, p. 932, p. 943, p. 949, p. 963, p. 979, p. 980.
- Culture methods for invertebrate animals; a compendium prepared cooperatively by American zoologists under the direction of a committee from Section F of the American Association for the Advancement of Science [by] Paul S. Galtsoff, Frank E. New York, Dover Publications url p. 405, p. 408.
- Diptera Danica: genera and species of flies hitherto found in Denmark. Copenhagen, G.E.C. Gad, 1907-1927. url p. 87.
- Elementary entomology, Boston, Ginn and company[c1912] url p. 229, p. 289.
- Entomological news, and proceedings of the Entomological Section of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia[Entomological Rooms of the Academy of Natural Sciences] url p. 144, p. 144, p. 158, p. 158, p. 246, p. 273.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url , , p. 116, p. 199, p. 199, p. 251, p. 70, p. 78, p. 84, p. 92, p. 93, p. 98.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 1286, p. 256, p. 382.
- Field book of ponds and streams; an introduction to the life of fresh water, by Ann Haven Morgan. .. with about 330 illustrations, including 23 plates in color and black and white. New York, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1930. url p. 299.
- First-Third Biennial report of the secretary. .. 1904 and 1905[ 1908-1909] to the governor. Baton Rouge, The Times Official Journal of Louisiana [etc.]1906-09. url p. 154.
- First[-ninth] annual report on the noxious, beneficial and other insects, of the state of Missouri, made to the State board of agriculture, pursuant to an appropriation for this purpose from the Legislature of the state. By Charles V. Riley, state entomologist. Jefferson City, Mo., 1869-77. url p. 128, p. 130.
- Flies in relation to disease; bloodsucking flies, by Edward Hindle. .. Cambridge, University press, 1914. url p. 238.
- General index and supplement to the nine reports on the insects of Missouri / by Charles V. Riley. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1881. url p. 122, p. 94.
- General index to reports of the State Entomologist of Connecticut, 1901-1925 / New Haven: Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, 1926. url p. 690, p. 707.
- Guide to the invertebrates of the synoptic collection in the Museum of the Boston society of natural history. By J. M. Arms Sheldon. Boston, The Society, 1905. url p. 490, p. 490.
- Guide to the study of insects and a treatise on those injurious and beneficial to crops, for the use of colleges, farm-schools, and agriculturists, by Alpheus S. Packard, M.D. With fifteen plates and six hundred and seventy wood-cuts. New York, H. Holt and Company;1889. url p. 701.
- Guide to the study of insects, and a treatise on those injurious and beneficial to crops: for the use of colleges, farm-schools, and agriculturists / by A. S. Packard, jr. Salem, Mass.: Naturalist's agency, 1874. url p. 701.
- Guide to the study of insects: and a treatise on those injurious and beneficial to crops for the colleges, farm-schools, and agriculturists. New York: Henry Holt, 1889. url p. 701.
- History of Lancaster County. Lancaster, Penn., G. Hills, 1844. url .
- History of Lancaster County: to which is prefixed a brief sketch of the early history of Pennsylvania / compiled from authentic sources by I. Daniel Rupp. Lancaster, Penn.: Gilbert Hills, 1844. url p. 478, p. 478.
- Horse flies (Diptera: Tabanidae) of the Colombian departments of Choco, Valle, and Cauca / by Richard Charles Wilkerson. 1978. url p. 481.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 127.
- Illinois biological monographs. Urbana, Univ. of Illinois Press. url p. 180.
- Illustrations of exotic entomology: containing upwards of six hundred and fifty figures and descriptions of foreign insects, interspersed with remarks and reflections on their nature and properties / by Dru Drury. London: Henry G. Bohn. .., 1837. url p. 97, p. 97.
- Index to the literature of American economic entomology. Melrose Highlands, Mass. [etc.], American Association of Economic Entomologists [etc.], 1917-62. url p. 299, p. 357, p. 48.
- Injurious insects and useful birds, successful control of farm pests, by F. L. Washburn.. 414 illustrations in text and four colored plates. London, J. B. Lippincott,  url p. 329, p. 451.
- Injurious insects of the orchard, vineyard, field, garden, conservatory, household, storehouse, domestic animals, etc., with remedies for their extermination, by Matthew Cooke. .. Illustrated with over 750 woodcuts, and 25 pages of classified illustrations. Sacramento, H.S. Crocker & Co., printers, 1883. url p. 465, p. 465.
- Insect pests of farm, garden and orchard, New York, J. Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc., etc.]1921. url p. 705.
- Insects of economic importance, outlines of lectures in economic entomology, New York, N.Y., The Macmillan company, 1920. url p. 171.
- Insects of economic importance; outlines of lectures in economic entomology, by Glenn W. Herrick. New York, N. Y., The Macmillan company, 1920. url p. 171.
- Insects; the yearbook of agriculture, 1952. Washington: U.S.G.P.O., 1952. url p. 764.
- Journal of economic entomology. [College Park, Md., etc.]Entomological Society of America [etc.] url p. 155.
- Journal of entomology and zoology. Claremont, Calif., U.S.A.: Pomona College Dept. of Zoology, [1913- url , .
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. Chicago [etc.] url p. 193, p. 749.
- Journal of the New York Entomological Society. Lawrence, Kan.: Allen Press [etc.] url p. 50.
- Journal of the New-York Microscopical Society. New York: The Society, 1885- url p. 122.
- Life-histories of the birds of eastern Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Published by the author, 1876-77. url .
- List of the specimens of dipterous insects in the collection of the British museum. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1848-55. url p. 145, p. 177.
- Memoir / Ithaca, N.Y. url p. 929.
- Memorial of life and entomologic work of Joseph Albert Lintner, state entomologist, 1874-98, by Ephraim Porter Felt. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1899. url p. 366.
- Mosquitoes, gnats, craneflies, midges and flies of the northern states, by Edward Knobel. Boston, B. Whidden[c1897] url p. 26.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 132, p. 95.
- Natural history. A manual of zoölogy for schools, colleges, and the general reader / By Sanborn Tenney. New York: Scribner, Armstrong & co., c1872. url .
- Nature sketches in temperate America, a series of sketches and a popular account of insects, birds, and plants, treated from some aspects of their evolution and ecological relations, Chicago, A. C. McClurg & Co., 1911. url , .
- Notes on animal parasites and parasitism. Lecture outlines of a course in parasitology with special reference to forms of economic importance. [n.p.]1912. url .
- Occasional papers of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, Boston Society of Natural History, 1869-1941. url p. 85.
- Occasional papers of the Museum of Zoology, University of Michigan. Ann Arbor, Mich.: University of Michigan, 1913- url p. 13, p. 7.
- On the recent secular period of the aurora borealis. By Denison Olmsted. Washington, Smithsonian Institution, 1856 url p. 440.
- Our insect friends and enemies; the relation of insects to man, to other animals, to one another, and to plants, with a chapter on the war against insects, by John B. Smith. & London: J. B. Lippincott company, 1909. url p. 169.
- Pamphlets on forestry. Grazing. [1900?- url p. 5.
- Parasites and parasitosis of the domestic animals: the zoo?logy and control of the animal parasites and the pathogenesis and treatment of parasitic diseases / New York: Macmillan, 1920. url , , .
- Proceedings - Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences. Staten Island, N.Y., Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences. url , p. 201.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 315, p. 321.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 117, p. 184, p. 187, p. 188, p. 193, p. 195, p. 209, p. 296, p. 299, p. 303, p. 305, p. 489, p. 494, p. 571, p. 618.
- Proceedings of the Royal Society of Queensland. [Brisbane, Royal Society of Queensland]1885- url p. 131.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 594, p. 680, p. 695.
- Proceedings. Toronto. url p. 109, p. 4.
- Prodrome of a monograph of the Tabanidae of the United States. By C. R. Osten Sacken. Boston, Published by the Society, 1875-76. url p. 454, p. 456.
- Psyche. Cambridge, Mass.: Cambridge Entomological Club url , p. 171, p. 173, p. 243, p. 35.
- Report of the Fruit Growers' Association of Ontario: for the year. .. Toronto: C. Blackett Robinson, url , p. 48.
- Report of the State Entomologist of Connecticut for the year. .. New Haven, [1902- url .
- Report of the State Entomologist on injurious and other insects of the state of New York. Albany: Weed, Parsons and Co.; University of the State of New York, 1882- url p. 292, p. 389, p. 438, p. 565, p. 606, p. 624, p. 650.
- Report on the noxious, beneficial, and other insects of the State of Missouri. Jefferson City url p. 130.
- Sanitary entomology; the entomology of disease, hygiene and sanitation, Boston, R. G. Badger url .
- School entomology: an elementary textbook of entomology. New York, Wiley, 1917. url p. 200, p. 201, p. 355.
- School entomology; an elementary textbook of entomology for secondary schools and agricultural short courses, by E. Dwight Sanderson and L. M. Peairs. New York, J. Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc., etc.]1917. url p. 200, p. 200, p. 201, p. 355.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 104 1947 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url fig. 11, fig. 24, fig. 25, p. 28, p. 52, p. 53, p. 63.
- Smithsonian scientific series. New York: Smithsonian Institution Series, Inc., -32. url p. 320.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 18, p. 4, p. 48.
- Special report on diseases of cattle. By Drs. Pearson, Murray, Atkinson, Lowe, Harbaugh, Law, Dickson, Mohler, Trumbower, Salmon, Smith and Stiles. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1904. url p. 477.
- Tabanini of Thailand above Isthmus of Kra (Diptera--Tabanidae) / by John J. S. Burton. Los Angeles: Entomological Reprint Specialists, c1978. url p. 159.
- Technical series. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1895-1915. url , , , p. 187, p. 197.
- The American journal of science. 5(2) 1848 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 435.
- The Canadian entomologist. Ottawa [etc.]Entomological Society of Canada [etc.] url p. 52, p. 52.
- The Natural history of the Toronto Region, Ontario, Canada / edited by J.H. Faull. -- Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1913. url p. 390.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 234.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng. [etc.]: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux [etc.] url p. 128, p. 169, p. 197, p. 20, p. 235, p. 249, p. 256, p. 274, p. 275, p. 286, p. 711.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 22 1935 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 379.
- The birds of Connecticut, Hartford, Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url .
- The birds of Connecticut, by John Hall Sage and Louis Bennett Bishop, assisted by Walter Parks Bliss. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url p. 345.
- The crane-flies of New York. Part II. Biology and phylogeny, by Charles Paul Alexander. Ithaca, 1920 url p. 929.
- The crane-flies of New York. [Ithaca]1919-1920. url p. 929.
- The early stages of Tabanid (horse-flies) by Werner Marchand, PH. D. New York, The Rockefeller institute for medical research, 1920. url , , , p. 10, p. 115, p. 15, p. 183, p. 187, p. 201, p. 203, p. 37, p. 43, p. 79, p. 80, p. 81, p. 82, p. 86, p. 91.
- The economic value of birds to the state, Albany, J. B. Lyon Company, Printers, 1903. url .
- The farmer's guide to scientific and practical agriculture. Detailing the labors of the farmer, in all their variety, and adapting them to the seasons of the year as they successively occur. By Henry Stephens, assisted by John P. Norton. New York, L. Scott, 1850-1851. url p. 51.
- The head-capsule and mouth-parts of Diptera, with twenty-five plates, by Alvah Peterson. Urbana, University of Illinois, 1916 url p. 10, p. 10.
- The insect book: a popular account of the bees, wasps, ants, grasshoppers, flies, and other North American insects exclusive of the butterflies, moths and beetles, with full life histories, tables and bibliographies / by Leland O. Howard. Garden City: Doubleday, 1916. url , , p. 132, p. 428.
- The insect book; a popular account of the bees, wasps, ants, grasshoppers, flies and other North American insects exclusive of the butterflies, moths and beetles, with full life histories, tables and bibliographies, by Leland O. Howard. Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Doran & company, 1937. url , , p. 132, p. 428.
- The natural history of the Toronto region, Ontario, Canada / edited by J.H. Faull. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1913. url p. 390.
- The naturalist in Vancouver Island and British Columbia London: R. Bentley, 1866. url .
- The standard natural history. Ed. by John Sterling Kingsley. Boston, S.E. Cassino and company, 1884-85. url p. 417.
- Transactions of the American Entomological Society Philadelphia: The Society, 1890- url p. 327.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 295.
- Tulane studies in zoology and botany. 18 1973 New Orleans: Tulane University, [1968- url p. 67, p. 68.
- University studies of the University of Nebraska. Lincoln. url p. 116.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 30, 2007:
- Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics, Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics