Family : Pipefishes and seahorses ; Usually found along the coasts and estuaries at a temperature range of 8¦ to 24¦C . Often associated with Zostera or other vegetation (Ref. 6733). Spawns in summer.
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Albanian:
Common Names in Catalan:
Common Names in Croatian:
Common Names in Danish:
Almindelig Tangn, Almindelig tangnål
Common Names in English:
Broad-nosed pipefish, Broadnose Worm Eel, broadnosed pipefish, Deep snouted ninefish, Deep-snouted pipefish, deepsnouted pipefish, High-snouted pipefish, Snouted pipefish
Common Names in Estonian:
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Siphonostome, Siphonostome Atlantique, Vip, Vipère de mer
Common Names in German:
Grasnadel, Pfeifenfisch, Schmalschn, Schmalschnäuzige Seenadel
Common Names in Greek:
Common Names in Italian:
Bisatelo, Bisato, Bisato marin, Pesce ago cavallino, Seppi i mari, Serpi i mari, Zella Co´ Muso Gruosso, Zella co' muso gruosso
Common Names in Latvian:
Common Names in Lithuanian:
Common Names in Maltese:
Dremxula tal-bahar, Gremxula tal-bahar, Gremxula tal-bahar halqha gholi
Common Names in Mandarin Chinese:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Almindelig Tangn, Almindelig tangnål, Kantnål, Tangsnelle
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Common Names in Rumanian:
Ac de mare cu burlan
Common Names in Russian:
Dlinnorylaya ryba igla, высокорылая игла, игла длиннорылая, игла морская, черноморская длиннорылая игла
Common Names in Slovene:
Ploskonoso šilo, Ploskonoso ilo
Common Names in Slovenian:
Ploskonoso , Ploskonoso šilo, Ploskonoso ilo, Ploskonoso ˚ilo
Common Names in Spanish:
Aguja mula, Palito
Common Names in Swedish:
Kantn, Kantnål, Tångsnälla
Common Names in Turkish:
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 818 meters (0 to 2,684 feet).
Biome: Marine .
- Kingdom: Animalia () - animals
Siphonostoma typhle (Linnaeus • Siphostoma typhle (Linnaeus • Syngnathus argentatus Pallas • Syngnathus pelagicus Linnaeus • Syngnathus ponticus Pallas • Syngnathus pyrois Risso • Syngnathus rondeletii Delaroche • Syngnathus rotundatus Michahelles • Syngnathus thyphle Linnaeus • Syngnathus thyphle Linnaeus, 1758 • Syngnathus typhle • Syngnathus typhle Linnaeus, 1758 • Syngnathus viridis Risso • Syphonostoma typhle (Linnaeus • Tiphle hexagonus Rafinesque
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: Data last modified by FishBase 01-Sep-1994
Members of the genus Syngnathus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 80 species and subspecies in this genus:
S. abaster (Black-Striped Pipefish) · S. acus (Narrowsnouted Pipefish) · S. aequoreus (Snake Pipe-Fish) · S. affinis (Texas Pipefish) · S. altirostris (Blackchinned Pipefish) · S. analicarens (Pink Pipefish) · S. andersonii (Anderson's Short-Nosed Pipefish) · S. argulus (Flat-Nosed Pipepish) · S. auliscus (Barred Needlefish) · S. balli (Roughridge Pipefish) · S. biaculeatus (Double-Ended Pipefish) · S. bicoarctatus (Short-Tailed Pipefish) · S. blainvilleanus (Deep-Bodied Pipefish) · S. blainvillianus (Deepbodied Pipefish) · S. boaja (Long-Snouted Pipefish) · S. brachycephalus (Crested Pipefish) · S. brachysoma (Short-Bodied Pipefish) · S. brachyurus (Short-Tailed Pipefish) · S. californiensis (Great Pipefish) · S. californiensis leptorhynchus (Kelp Pipefish) · S. carce (Freshwater Pipefish) · S. caribbaeus (Caribbean Pipefish) · S. carinatus (Cortez Pipefish) · S. cinctus (Girdled Pipefish) · S. crinitus (West Indian Pipefish) · S. cuncalus (Crocodile-Tooth Pipefish) · S. cyanospilos (Blue-Speckled Pipefish) · S. cyanospilus (Bluespeckled Pipefish) · S. dactyliophorus (D'Arros Pipefish) · S. deocata (Deocata Pipefish) · S. djarong (Slender Pipefish) · S. dunckeri (Duncker's Pipefish) · S. elucens (Shortfin Pipefish) · S. euchrous (Chocolate Pipefish) · S. exilis (Barcheek Pipefish) · S. fasciolatus (Corrugated Pipefish) · S. fistulatus (Pivothead Pipefish) · S. flavofasciatus (Network Pipefish) · S. floridae (Florida Pipefish) · S. folletti (Southern Pipefish) · S. fuscus (Northern Pipefish) · S. griseolineatus (Bay Pipefish) · S. haematopterus (Yellow-Streaked Pipefish) · S. hardwickii (Hardwicke's Pipefish) · S. heterosoma (Dwarf Pipefish) · S. hippocampus (Short-Snouted Seahorse) · S. hubbsi (Cheasapeake Dusky Pipefish) · S. insulae (Guadalupe Pipefish) · S. leiaspis (Barhead Pipefish) · S. leptorhynchus (Slendernosed Pipefish) · S. louisianae (Louisiana Pipefish) · S. lumbriciformis (Worm Pipe-Fish) · S. macrobrachium (Large-Fin Pipefish) · S. makaxi (Yucatan Pipefish) · S. manadensis (Short-Tailed Pipefish) · S. margaritifer (Mother-Of-Pearl Pipefish) · S. maxweberi (Maxweber's Pipefish) · S. mento (Red Pipefish) · S. modestus (Mollison's Pipefish) · S. nitidus (Longsnouted Pipefish) · S. ophidion (Straight-Nosed Pipe-Fish) · S. pelagicus (Pelagic Pipefish) · S. penicillus (Steep-Nosed Pipefish) · S. phillipi (Port Phillips Pipefish) · S. poecilolaemus (Australian Long-Snouted Pipefish) · S. retzii (Melanesian Stream Pipefish) · S. rostellatus (Nilsons Deepsea Dogfish) · S. schlegeli (Seaweed Pipefish) · S. schleglei (Clipperton Angelfish) · S. scovelli (Scovell's Pipefish) · S. serratus (Crested Pipefish) · S. sohlegli (Bulldog Lightfish) · S. springeri (Bull Pipefish) · S. taenionotus (Darkflank Pipefish) · S. tenuirostris (Narrow-Snouted Pipefish) · S. tetrophthalmus (Trunk-Barred Pipefish) · S. tigris (Tucker's Pipefish) · S. typhle (High-Snouted Pipefish) · S. viridis (Australian Banded Pipe) · S. watermeyeri (River Pipefish)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... The genera of fishes. .. A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature. By David Starr Jordan. Stanford University, Calif., The University, 1917-1920. url p. 170.
- A bibliography of fishes, New York, American Museum of Natural History, 1916-1923. url .
- A bibliography of fishes, by Bashford Dean. .. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1916-1923. url p. 233, p. 518, p. 518, p. 593, p. 661, p. 95, p. 95.
- A history of British fishes / by William Yarrell. ..; illustrated by nearly 400 woodcuts. .. London: John Van Voorst. .., 1836. url p. 332.
- A history of British fishes. By William Yarrell. .. London, J. Van Voorst, 1841. url p. 439, p. 441.
- A history of Scandinavian fishes / by B. Fries, C. U. Ekström and C. Sundevall; with coloured plates by W. von Wright and text illustrations. Stockholm: P.A. Norstedt & söner, 1892-1895. url p. 667.
- A history of the fishes of Massachusetts / by David Humphreys Storer. Boston: Dakin & Metcalf, 1867. url p. 218.
- A synopsis of the fishes of North America / by David Humphreys Storer. Cambridge: Metcalf, 1846. url p. 239.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 45.
- An introduction to the natural history of fishes: being the article "Ichthyology, " from. .. the Encyclopædia Britannica / by James Wilson. 1838 Edinburgh, etc.: Adam and Charles Black, [et al.]1838. url p. 8.
- An outline of the natural history of our shores, by Joseph Sinel with chapters on collecting and preserving marine specimens, methods of microscopic mounting, etc., and on the marine aquarium. London, Swan Sonnenschein & Co., 1906. url p. 263.
- Anatomischer Anzeiger. Jena: G. Fischer, 1886- url , p. 16, p. 177, p. 192, p. 194, p. 195, p. 196, p. 44, p. 99.
- Arctic zoology. .. London: Printed by Henry Hughs, 1784-1785. url p. 29.
- Boston journal of natural history. 2 1838 - 18 Boston, Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 504.
- Catalogue of lophobranchiate fish in the collection of the British Museum / by J.J. Kaup. LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees1856 url p. 49.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 208.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 208.
- Catalogue of the fishes in the British Museum / by Albert Gu?nther. .. [Tokyo?]: Kagaku Kisho Hakkokai, Sho?wa 13 . url p. 154.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 214.
- Dean bibliography of fishes. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1971-1973. url p. 210, p. 26, p. 260, p. 485, p. 488, p. 489, p. 617.
- Descriptive catalogue of the specimens of natural history in spirit contained in the Museum of the Royal college of surgeons of England. Vertebrata: Pisces, Reptilia, Aves, Mammalia. London, Taylor and Francis, 1859. url p. 51.
- Edinburgh encyclopaedia, conducted by David Brewster. .. with the assistance of gentlemen eminent in science and literature. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1830. url p. 713.
- Elements of natural history, adapted to the present state of the science, containing the generic characters of nearly the whole animal kingdom, and the descriptions of the principal species. By John Stark. .. Edinburgh: W. Blackwood; [etc., etc.], 1828. url p. 398, p. 517.
- Fauna boreali-americana, or, The zoology of the northern parts of British America: containing descriptions of the objects of natural history collected on the late northern land expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. / by John Richardson, surgeon and naturalist to the expeditions; assisted by William Swainson and the Reverend William Kirby. London: J. Murray [etc.], 1829-1837. url p. 276.
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 178.
- General embryological information service. Utrecht, Hubrecht Laboratory. url p. 33, p. 41.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 99.
- Illinois biological monographs. Urbana, Univ. of Illinois Press. url p. 108.
- Journal of morphology. Boston: Ginn & Co., [1887-1924] url p. 482.
- Journal of the Essex County natural history society; containing various communications to the society. [v. 1, no. 1-3; 1836-52]. Salem, Printed for the Society by W. Ives & Co., 1852. url p. 39, p. 41.
- Life of a Scotch naturalist, Thomas Edward, associate of the Linnean Society by Samuel Smiles. .. portrait and illustrations by George Reid, R.S.A. London: J. Murray, 1877 url p. 425.
- List of vertebrated animals living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. .. London, Printed for the Society, 1866. url p. 204.
- Memoirs of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. 8 1861-1863 [Boston: The Academy, url p. 412.
- Methods for obtaining and handling marine eggs and embryos [by] Donald P. Costello and Catherine Henley. Woods Hole, Mass., 1971. url p. 234.
- Natural history of New York. .. Albany, D. Appleton & co. and Wiley & Putnam;1842-94. url p. 393.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 319, p. 393.
- Notes and letters on the natural history of Norfolk: more especially on the birds and fishes / London: Jarrold, 1902. url .
- Opinions and declarations rendered by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. London, Printed by order of the International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 101.
- Pamphlets on forestry. Fish and game. [1900?- url p. 761.
- Prize essay on the natural and economical history of the fishes marine, fluviatile, and lacustrine, of the river district of the Firth of Forth. By Richard Parnell. .. EdinburghPrinted by Neill & Co., 1838 url p. 396, p. 396.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 472.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 6.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 58, p. 58, p. 771, p. 834, p. 836.
- Report on the fishes, reptiles and birds of Massachusetts. Published agreeably to an order of the Legislature, by the commissioners on the Zoological and Botanical Survey of the state. Boston, Dutton and Wentworth, State printers, 1839. url p. 162.
- Reports of the Commissioners on the zoological survey of the state. Boston: Dutton and Wentworth, state printers, 1838. url p. 162.
- Reports on the fishes, reptiles and birds of Massachusetts / published agreeably to an order of the Legislature, by the commissioners on the Zoological and Botanical Survey of the State. Boston: Dutton and Wentworth, State Printers, 1839. url p. 162, p. 162.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 335.
- Studies on Myxosporidia; a synopsis of genera and species of Myxosporidia; with 25 plates and 2 textfigures, by Rokusaburo Kudo. .. Urbana, Ill., University of Illinois, c1920 url p. 108, p. 108.
- The American journal of science and arts. New-Haven: S. Converse, url p. 340.
- The American journal of science. 36 1839 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 340.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 70.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 685.
- The animal kingdom arranged in conformity with its organization. London: Whittaker, 1827. url p. 559, p. 578.
- The animal kingdom, arranged according to its organization, serving as a foundation for the natural history of animals: and an introduction to comparative anatomy / by Baron Cuvier; with figures designed after nature: the Crustacea, Arachnides, & Insecta, by M. Latreille; translated from the latest French edition; with additional notes, and illustrated by near London: G. Henderson, 1834-1837. url p. 229.
- The aquarium: its inhabitants, structure, and management / by John Ellor Taylor. Edinburgh: John Grant, 1910. url p. 219, p. 315.
- The aquarium; its inhabitants, structure & management. London, Hardwicke, 1876. url p. 218, p. 315.
- The class Pisces / arranged by the Baron Cuvier with supplementary additions, by Edward Griffith and Charles Hamilton Smith. London: Whittaker, 1834. url p. 559, p. 578.
- The fisheries of the Adriatic and the fish thereof: a report of the Austro-Hungarian sea-fisheries, with a detailed description of the marine fauna of the Adriatic Gulf / by G. L. Faber; with eighteen woodcut illustrations after drawings by Leo Littrow, and numerous engravings on stone. London: B. Quaritch, 1883. url p. 227.
- The fishes of Great Britain and Ireland / Edinburgh: Williams and Norgate, 1880-1884. url p. 257.
- The genera of fishes. ..: A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature / By David Starr Jordan. Stanford University, Calif.: The University, 1917-1920. url p. 170.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 3274.
- Zoology of New York, or the New-York fauna: comprising detailed descriptions of all the animals hitherto observed within the state of New York, with brief notices of those occasionally found near its borders, and accompanied by appropriate illu by James De Kay. Albany: Printed by Carroll and Cook, printers to the Assembly [etc.], 1842-44. url p. 393.
- Zoology of New York; or, The New York Fauna; comprising detailed descriptions of all the animals hitherto observed within the state of New York, with brief notices of those occasionally found near its borders, and accompa by James E. De Kay. Albany: W. & A. White & J. Visscher: 1842-44. url p. 319, p. 393.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 18, 2007:
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Taxonomic Information Sytem for the Belgian coastal area
- Museum national d'histoire naturelle, Ichtyologie
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, MCZ Fish Collection
- Senckenberg, Collection Pisces
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility, Niv
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Fishes
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Swedish Board of Fisheries
- - Institute of Coastal Research
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Countryside Council for Wales - Pembrokeshire Marine Species Atlas
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 139520
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Fis-30699
- Fishbase Species ID: 1360
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4469816
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 166467
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 126101
- Moreira, F., C.A. Assis, P.R. Almeida, J.L. Costa and M.J. Costa (1992). Trophic relationships in the community of the Upper Tagus Estuary (Portugal: a preliminary approach. Estuar. Coast. Shelf-Sci. 34:617-623. [back]
- Muus, B.J. and J.G. Nielsen (1999). Sea fish. Scandinavian Fishing Year Book, Hedehusene, Denmark. 340 p. [back]
- Mean = 48.340 meters (158.596 feet), Standard Deviation = 132.410 based on 439 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]