(Gr. strombos: spiraling object) A legume which is spirally coiled , as in Medicago.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795
- Cuvier, 1795
- Snails and Slugs
- Ponder & Lindberg, 1996
- Cox, 1960
- Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Suborder: Hypsogastropoda () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Order: Sorbeoconcha () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Superorder: Caenogastropoda () - Cox, 1960
- Subclass: Orthogastropoda () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1996
- Class: Gastropoda () - Cuvier, 1795 - Snails and Slugs
- Phylum: Mollusca () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795 - Molluscs
- Superphylum: Eutrochozoa ()
- Infrakingdom: Lophotrochozoa ()
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Members of the genus Strombus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 7 species and subspecies in this genus:
S. alatus (Florida Fighting Conch) · S. costatus (Milk Conch) · S. gallus (Roostertail Conch) · S. gigas (Pink Or Queen Conch) · S. ochroglottis (Rakery Beaconlamp) · S. pugilis (West Indian Fighting Conch) · S. raninus (Hawkwing Conch)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalog of recent Mollusca from all parts of the world. St. Petersburg, Fa: W.F. Webb, 19--. url p. 151, p. 27.
- A catalogue of the shells, arranged according to the Lamarckian system: with their authorities, synonymes, and references to works where figured or described, contained in the collection of John C. Jay. New York: Craighead, 1850. url p. 342.
- An introduction to conchology; or, Elements of the natural history of molluscous animals / by George Johnston. London: J. Van Voorst, 1850. url p. 417.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 459.
- Anatomischer Anzeiger. Jena: G. Fischer, 1886- url p. 5.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 22.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 136, p. 564.
- Bulletin from the laboratories of natural history of the State University of Iowa. Iowa City, Iowa: The University, 1888-. url .
- Bulletins of American paleontology. Ithaca, N.Y., Paleontological Research Institution [etc.] url p. 118.
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 195, p. 197, p. 206, p. 208, p. 233.
- Catalogue of the Doane collection of shells, presented by Mrs. Rose Delano to the Marion natural history society. s.n., The Wareham press, 19--? url p. 28.
- Conchologia iconica, or, Illustrations of the shells of molluscous animals / by Lovell Augustus Reeve. London: Reeve, Brothers, 1843-1878. url p. 176.
- Contributions to the geology and paleontology of the Canal Zone, Panama, and geologically related areas in Central America and the West Indies. / Prepared under the direction of Thomas Wayland Vaughan. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1919. url p. 564.
- East coast marine shells; descriptions of shore mollusks together with many living below tide mark, from Maine to Texas inclusive, especially Florida. Ann Arbor, Mich., Edwards Brothers, Inc.[c1937] url p. 108.
- List of duplicates of Japanese shells, marine, land, and fresh water, collected personally by Frederick Stearns. .. during his two visits to Japan, 1889-90, and 1892, and offered for sale or exchange. Detroit, J. F. Eby, printer, 1896. url p. 9.
- List of marine Mollusca comprising the Quaternary fossils and recent forms from American localities between Cape Hatteras and Cape Roque, including the Bermudas / by William Healey Dall. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1885. url p. 278.
- List of mollusca and other forms of marine life collected in the years 1889-1890, in Japan. Detroit, 1891. url .
- Manual of conchology, structural and systematic: with illustrations of the species / by George W. Tryon, Jr. Philadelphia: Published by the Author, Academy of Natural Sciences, 1879-1898. url p. 140, p. 140, p. 143, p. 143.
- NOAA technical report NMFS SSRF. Seattle, Wash.: National Marine Fisheries Service; url p. 4, p. 5, p. 6, p. 8.
- Papers from the Tortugas Laboratory of the Carnegie Institution of Washington. Washington, D.C.: Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1908-42. url p. 195, p. 197, p. 206, p. 93.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 170, p. 366, p. 366, p. 376, p. 376, p. 495, p. 52, p. 739.
- Proceedings of the Davenport Academy of Natural Sciences. Davenport, Ia., Academy of Natural Sciences [etc.] url p. 46, p. 46, p. 53, p. 53.
- Proceedings of the Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales. Mosman, New South Wales [etc.]The Society. url p. 17.
- Scientific survey of Porto Rico and the Virgin Islands. New York, : The Academy, 1919-60. url p. 55, p. 56.
- Shells and sea life. 17 1985 Phoenix, AZ: Miranda Enterprises, url p. 247.
- Studies in natural history. Iowa City, Ia. url p. 24.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 257, p. 334.
- The Journal of experimental zoology. [New York, etc.]Wiley-Liss [etc.] url p. 52.
- The Nautilus. Melbourne, Fla., etc., American Malacologists, inc., etc. url , , p. 106, p. 106, p. 120, p. 121, p. 121, p. 123, p. 123, p. 140, p. 143, p. 18, p. 43, p. 55, p. 55.
- The Oo?logist for the student of birds, their nests and eggs. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886- url p. 136.
- The biology of marine animals. New York, Interscience Publishers url p. 624.
- The conchologist's first book, or, A system of testaceous malachology, arranged expressly for the use of schools: in which the animals, according to Cuvier, are given with the shells, and a great number of new species added: with colored illustrations of two hundred and fifteen shells, presenting a correct type Philadelphia: Barrington and Haswell, 1845. url p. 137.
- The conchologist's first book: a system of testaceous malacology, arranged expressly for the use of schools, in which the animals, according to Cuvier, are given with the shells, a great number of new Philadelphia, Pub. for the Author, by Haswell, Barrington, and Haswell, 1840. url p. 137.
- The conchologist's nomenclator: a catalogue of all the recent species of shells / by Agnes Catlow; assisted by Lovell Reeve. London: Reeve Brothers, 1845. url p. 259.
- The mollusks of western North America. Washington, Smithsonian Institution, 1872. url .
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed February 5, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 08, 2007:
- Academy of Natural Sciences, Academy of Natural Sciences Malacology Database