Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Barred Owl, black-eyed owl, bottom owl, crazy owl, Hoot Owl, Laughing Owl, old-folks owl, rain owl, round-headed owl, swamp owl, Wood Owl
Common Names in French:
Chouette Ray, chouette rayÃ©e, chouette rayée
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Adult : Head : Shape : round Size: large Face : Eye Color: dark Body: Breast: horizontal barring on upper breast, vertical streaks on lower breast Underparts: pale with heavy brown streaks Upperparts: brown with white spotting Tail: barred Length : long.
About 17 to 24 inches long, with a wingspan of 50 to 60 inches. Adults weigh about 22.4 ounces .
This owl prefers wet forests with nearby wetlands or fields .
Vegetation: tropical lowland evergreen forest, pine-oak forests, tropical lowland evergreen forest, pine forests • Minimum Elevation: 1,300 meters • Maximum Elevation: 3,100 meters • Foraging Strata: Canopy • Center of Abundance: Middle montane: mountains, middle range, 1,600-2,600 m. • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Medium
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 3,805 meters (0 to 12,484 feet).
List of Habitats
- 1 Forest
- 1.1 Forest - Boreal
- 1.4 Forest - Temperate
- 1.5 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 1.9 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Montane
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.1 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Rivers/Streams/Creeks (includes waterfalls )
- 5.2 Wetlands (inland) - Seasonal/Intermittent/Irregular Rivers/Streams/Creeks
- 5.5 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Lakes (over 8ha)
- 5.6 Wetlands (inland) - Seasonal/Intermittent Freshwater Lakes (over 8ha)
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.4 Artificial/Terrestrial - Rural Gardens
- 14.5 Artificial/Terrestrial - Urban Areas
Mostly small mammals, with some birds.
The breeding season begins in mid-January, peaks in March, and extends through mid-May. Nests are usually located from 6-15 m (20-50 feet) high in a cavity or hollow of a tree , commonly a snag , in bottomland or moist forest . The Barred Owl will sometimes use the abandoned nest of a hawk or crow. The female lays 2-4 (usually 2-3) eggs that she incubates for 28-33 days. The male feeds the incubating female. The young are semi-altricial and fledge about 42 days after hatching .
- Breeding Habitat : Woodland
- Nest Type: Cavity
- Clutch Size: 2-3
- Length of Incubation : 28-33 days
- Days to Fledge: 42
- Number of Broods: 1
Like most owls, it is nocturnal , being active mostly at night. It forages either by hunting on the wing and swooping down on the food when it is spotted or by hunting from a perch. The diet includes small mammals (especially mice, squirrels, and rabbits), birds, amphibians , reptiles , and some insects.
The call of the Barred Owl is a series of hoots that sounds like the phrase who-cooks-for-you or who-cooks-for-you-all. When several owls are in an area, they respond to each other's calls. Some calls are similar to the calls of monkeys and they are sometimes used for sound effects in motion picture jungle scenes.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Superorder: Falconimorphae () - Seebohm, 1890
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 28-Sep-2005
Great Gray Owl, Spotted Owl
Members of the genus Strix
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 34 species and subspecies in this genus:
S. albitarsis (Rufous-Banded Owl) · S. albitarsus (Rufous-Banded Owl) · S. aluco (Eurasian Tawny Owl) · S. aluco aluco (Eurasian Tawny Owl) · S. butleri (Hume's Tawny Owl) · S. chacoensis (Chaco Owl) · S. fulvescens (Fulvous Owl) · S. huhula (Black-Banded Owl) · S. hylophila (Rusty Barred Owl) · S. leptogrammica (Brown Wood Owl) · S. leptogrammica leptogrammica (Brown Wood-Owl) · S. nebulosa (Great Grey Owl) · S. nebulosa nebulosa (Great Gray Owl) · S. nigrolineata (Black-And-White Owl) · S. occidentalis (Northern Spotted Owl) · S. occidentalis caurina (Northern Spotted Owl) · S. occidentalis lucida (Mexican Spotted Owl) · S. occidentalis occidentalis (California Spotted Owl) · S. ocellata (Mottled Wood Owl) · S. ocellata ocellata (Mottled Wood-Owl) · S. rufipes (Rufous-Legged Owl) · S. rufipes rufipes (Rufous-Legged Owl) · S. seloputo (Spotted Wood Owl) · S. seloputo seloputo (Spotted Wood-Owl) · S. uralensis (Père David's Owl) · S. uralensis uralensis (Ural Owl) · S. varia (Round-Headed Owl) · S. varia georgica (Barred Owl) · S. varia helveola (Barred Owl) · S. varia varia (Barred Owl) · S. virgata (Mottled Owl) · S. virgata virgata (Mottled Owl) · S. woodfordii (African Wood Owl) · S. woodfordii woodfordii (African Wood-Owl)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A check list of Rhode Island nesting birds, with data. [Providence? R.I.], c1908. url p. 9.
- A checklist of the vertebrate animals of Kansas / George D. Potts, Joseph T. Collins. [Lawrence, Kan.]: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1991. url p. 12.
- A faunal investigation of Prince Edward County, Ontario / Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1941. url p. 61.
- A faunal investigation of the Sault Ste. Marie region, Ontario / [Toronto]: Royal Ontario Museum, 1942. url p. 130.
- A geographic classification of Neotropical mammals. 36 1958 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1958. url p. 642.
- A history of the birds of Colorado, London, Witherby & Co., 1912. url , .
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York City, for the official year. . [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932] url p. 10, p. 121, p. 38, p. 64.
- An early pleistocene avifauna from Inglis, Florida / by Gail Elaine Speaker Carr. 1981. url , p. 102, p. 103, p. 105, p. 112, p. 113, p. 4.
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url .
- Animal Ecology. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall, 1961. url p. 460.
- Animal and plant life in Oklahoma, Norman, 1917. url .
- Annotated list of the Avery bird collection in the Alabama museum of natural history (Geological survey museum) University, Ala., 1921. url .
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 75, p. 89.
- Annual report / Entomological Society of Ontario. Toronto, The Society. url p. 48.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 100, p. 103, p. 105, p. 125, p. 150, p. 153, p. 169, p. 277, p. 332, p. 359, p. 433, p. 56, p. 56, p. 587, p. 73, p. 74, p. 75, p. 76, p. 80, p. 80, p. 80, p. 87, p. 90, p. 92, p. 98, p. 99.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 172.
- Annual reports / Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia: Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, [1841-1922] url p. 48.
- Bird guide...east of the Rockies, by Chester A. Reed. New York, Doubleday, Page & Co., 1910. url p. 225.
- Bird guide: water birds, game birds and birds of prey east of the Rockies / by Chester A. Reed. Worcester, Mass.: C. K. Reed, 1910. url p. 225.
- Bird populations in east central Illinois: fluctuations, variations, and development over a half-century / Champaign: University of Illinois Press, c1982. url p. 135.
- Birds in Kansas / Max C. Thompson & Charles Ely. 1 Lawrence, Kan.: University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History: c1989- url p. 339, p. 403, p. xiv.
- Birds of America; editor-in-chief, T. Gilbert Pearson; consulting editor, John Burroughs; artists, R.I. Brasher, R. Bruce Horsfall [and] Henry Thurston. New York, The University Society, 1923. url p. 105.
- Birds of South Carolina, Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url , .
- Birds of South Carolina, by Arthur Trezevant Wayne. With an introduction by the editor. Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url p. 206, p. 250, p. 252.
- Birds of eastern Canada / Ottawa: F.A. Acland, 1922. url .
- Birds of eastern Canada / Ottawa: J. de L. Tache?, 1919. url , .
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa: F. A. Acland, 1922. url p. 137, p. 137.
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P.A. Taverner. Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Mines, Geological Survey, 1919. url p. 131, p. 293.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Tache?, printer, 1919. url p. 131, p. 293.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P.A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Taché, Printer, 1919. url p. 131, p. 293.
- Birds of the Boston Public Garden, a study in migration, Boston and New York, Houghton Mifflin co., 1909. url p. 236, p. 65.
- Birds of the Boston Public Garden: a study in migration / by Horace Winslow Wright; with an introduction by Bradford Torrey and illustrations. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co., 1909. url p. 236, p. 236, p. 236, p. 65, p. 65.
- Birds of the Boston Public garden, a study in migration, by Horace Winslow Wright; with an introduction by Bradford Torrey and illustrations. Boston and New York, Houghton Mifflin co., 1909. url p. 236.
- Birds of the Kansas City region [by] Harry Harris. [St. Louis, Mo.]1919 url p. 268.
- Birds of the New York city region, by Ludlow Griscom, assistant curator of ornithology, with the cooperation of the Linnæan society of New York. .. New York, The Museum, 1923. url p. 205.
- Birds; a miscellaneous collection of 37 pamphlets about birds. Collected and privately bound by Alvin Seale, 1914. v.p., 1910-1913 url p. 55, p. 64, p. 65.
- Boreal owl (Aegolius funereus) and flammulated owl (Otus flammeolus) survey results for the Livingston District of the Gallatin National Forest / by Monica Brelsford for the U.S.D.A. Forest Service, Gallatin National Forest. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program, 1992] url , p. 10.
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 157.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 182, p. 182, p. 197, p. 201, p. 416, p. 467, p. 469, p. 473, p. 481, p. 641, p. 643, p. 644, p. 646, p. 647, p. 648, p. 828, p. 871.
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url , p. 459, p. 600.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1969 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 108.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 227.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 102 1949 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 654.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 30, p. 55.
- Cassinia. Philadelphia: Delaware Valley Ornithological Club, 1901- url p. 44.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 169, p. 463, p. 480, p. 498, p. 502, p. 507.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url , .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 284, p. 669, p. 671, p. 689.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 302, p. 803.
- Checklist of CITES Species CITES, WCMC url p. 108, p. 115, p. 224.
- Checklist of CITES Species: a reference to the appendices to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora CITES url p. 90.
- Checklist of birds listed in the CITES appendices and in EC Regulation 338/97 JNCC url p. 167.
- Compendium of natural features information / Baltimore: The Department, 1975. url p. 171, p. 177.
- Ecology and conservation of the marbled murrelet / [technical editors, C. John Ralph. .. et al.]. Albany, Calif.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station,  url p. 158.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 170, p. 280, p. 42.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 139, p. 218.
- Fauna of New England, 11: list of the aves / by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 109, p. 5.
- Fauna of New England. List of the Araneida. Boston, For Society, 1908. url , p. 5.
- Fauna of New England. by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 109, p. 5.
- Field Museum of Natural History bulletin. Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, -c1990. url p. 13.
- Final environmental impact statement: proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award for Apalachicola Bay and lower Apalachicola River, Franklin County, Florida to State of Florida / Washington, D.C.: Office of Coastal Zone Management, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 1979. url .
- Fleas of eastern United States, by Irving Fox. .. Ames, Ia., The Iowa State College Press, 1940. url p. 119, p. 127.
- Handbook of birds of eastern North America; with introductory chapters on the study of birds in nature, by Frank M. Chapman. .. With full-page plates in colors and black and white by Louis Agassiz Fuertes and text-cuts by Tappan Adney and Ernest Thompson Seton. London: D. Appleton and Company, 1912. url .
- IUCN Directory of Afrotropical Protected Areas IUCN, UNEP url p. 1032, p. 45.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 75.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 7 1987 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 164.
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy, 1998- url p. 170, p. 176, p. 193.
- Lake Maxinkuckee. A physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann...and Howard Walton Clark... [Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 542.
- Lake Maxinkuckee: a physical and biological survey / by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. Indianapolis: Dept. of Conservation, 1920. url p. 542, p. 658.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1960 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 3, p. 30, p. 31, p. 50, p. 51.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 103, p. 104, p. 75, p. 89.
- Museum paper / Alabama Museum of Natural History. University, Ala.: Alabama Museum of Natural History, 1910-1960. url p. 58.
- Museum paper. University, Ala. [etc.]1910- url p. 58.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 750, p. 750.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 180, p. 399, p. 399, p. 87.
- Notes on New England birds / Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1910. url .
- Notes on New England birds, by Henry D. Thoreau; arranged and ed. by Francis H. Allen; with illustrations from photographs of birds in nature. Boston, Houghton Mifflin company, 1910. url p. 171.
- Occasional papers of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, Boston Society of Natural History, 1869-1941. url , p. 109.
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 486.
- P.D. Skaar's Montana bird distribution / revised by the Montana Bird Distribution Committee. [Helena, MT]:Montana Natural Heritage Program, 1996 url p. 60.
- Pamphlets on forestry in West Virginia. [1900?- url p. 97.
- Pesticides monitoring journal. [Washington, D.C.: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1967-1981. url p. 12, p. 14.
- Pets: their history and care. With illus. from life. New YorkHolt1917 url p. 150, p. 371.
- Pets; their history and care, New York, H. Holt and company, 1917. url .
- Potential wildlife-highway interactions at select mile-markers along Montana Department of Transportation routes an ArcView GIS analysis / Bozeman, Mont.: Fish and Wildlife Management Program, Montana State University, 2001 url .
- Proceedings - Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences. Staten Island, N.Y., Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences. url p. 132, p. 186, p. 215.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 456, p. 456, p. 570.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 199, p. 225, p. 433, p. 434, p. 435, p. 764.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 146, p. 210.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url , p. 187, p. 29, p. 409, p. 492, p. 528, p. 537, p. 565, p. 584, p. 595, p. 606, p. 612, p. 614, p. 625.
- Proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award to the state of New York for a Hudson River estuarine sanctuary. Albany, N.Y.: New York, Dept. of Environmental Conservation,  url p. 122.
- Psyche. Cambridge, Mass.: Cambridge Entomological Club url p. 83.
- Publication. Field Museum of Natural History. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1910-1943. url , , , p. 157, p. 489.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 13, p. 48.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 125, p. 132, p. 150, p. 153, p. 169, p. 85, p. 89.
- Report on the progress and condition of the U.S. National Museum for the year ending June 30. .. / Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum. Washington: G.P.O., 1907-1951. url p. 166.
- Results of boreal owl (Aegolius funereus) surveys on the Jefferson Division of the Lewis & Clark National Forest / by John C. Carlson, Montana Natural Heritage Program for the U.S.D.A. Forest Service, Lewis and Clark National Forest. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url , , p. 1, p. 10.
- Rock River area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, Natural History Survey Division, in conjunction with State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, IL: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1996- url p. 132.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 143 1961 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 32, p. 4, p. 40, p. 50, p. 68, p. 7, p. 87, p. 9, p. 9.
- Smithsonian year. 1965 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965-1976. url p. 181.
- Social feeding behavior of birds. 36 1954 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1954. url p. 19.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 593.
- Station bulletin. Durham, N.H.: Agricultural Experiment Station, University of New Hampshire, 1948- url p. 158, p. 42, p. 43.
- Status report on boreal owl surveys in southwestern Montana, 1989 / by P.D. Mullen for the Montana Natural Heritage Programs and USDA Forest Service, Beaverhead and Bitterroot National Forests. Helena, MT: MNHP,  url , p. 13, p. 24.
- Supplement II to the General synopsis of birds. London: Printed for Leigh, Sotheby, & Son, York Street, Covent Garden, [1801 or 1802] url .
- Supplement to the code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds. adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; prepared by a Committee of the Union. New York: The Union, 1889-1920. url p. 371.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 20, p. 23.
- Textbook of zoology / by George Edwin Potter. St. Louis: Mosby, 1947. url p. 593, p. 945.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 153, p. 167, p. 172, p. 208, p. 216, p. 23, p. 265, p. 317, p. 366, p. 37, p. 371, p. 40, p. 412, p. 600.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 110.
- The Canadian entomologist. Ottawa [etc.]Entomological Society of Canada [etc.] url p. 365, p. 365.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , , , p. 106, p. 121, p. 13, p. 130, p. 143, p. 144, p. 145, p. 162, p. 162, p. 165, p. 174, p. 18, p. 183, p. 183, p. 195, p. 197, p. 197, p. 199, p. 205, p. 215, p. 222, p. 223, p. 224, p. 232, p. 273, p. 275, p. 276, p. 29, p. 290, p. 3, p. 30, p. 367, p. 374, p. 379, p. 39, p. 450, p. 46, p. 464, p. 526, p. 527, p. 57, p. 61, p. 631, p. 638, p. 642, p. 643, p. 653, p. 662, p. 666, p. 67, p. 670, p. 672, p. 676, p. 676, p. 678, p. 68, p. 8, p. 9.
- The Emu: official organ of the Australasian Ornithologists' Union. Melbourne: Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union, 1901- url .
- The Great Basin naturalist. 43 1983 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 732.
- The Oo?logist for the student of birds, their nests and eggs. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886- url p. 125, p. 26, p. 86.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 125, p. 125, p. 182, p. 235, p. 235.
- The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science. Des moines, Iowa: The Academy, [1889-1987] url p. 152.
- The University of Colorado studies. Boulder, University of Colorado. url p. 230.
- The Wilson bulletin. Columbus, Ohio: Wilson Ornithological Society, 1894- url , , , p. 115, p. 143, p. 172, p. 197, p. 56, p. 75, p. 94.
- The birds of Illinois and Wisconsin / by Charles B. Cory. Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1909. url p. 157, p. 158, p. 489, p. 720, p. 721, p. 761.
- The birds of New Jersey / by Witmer Stone. Trenton: J.L. Murphy Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 172.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , , , , , , , .
- The birds of Texas; an annotated check list, Waco, Tex., The University, 1912. url .
- The birds of the vicinity of Lake Nipissing, Ontario / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum], 1939. url p. 12.
- The book of woodcraft and Indian lore, with over 500 drawings by the author, Ernest Thompson Seton. .. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & Company, 1922. url p. 251, p. 589.
- The book of woodcraft, Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & company, 1912. url p. 335.
- The book of woodcraft. .. New York, The Sun dial press, inc. url p. 251.
- The oist. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886-1941. url p. 125, p. 86.
- The raptorial birds of Iowa, by Bert Heald Bailey. .. Des Moines, Iowa Geological Survey, 1918. url p. 194.
- The rat and its relation to the public health Washington: U.S. G.P.O., 1910. url p. 165.
- The ruffed grouse; life history, propagation, management, by Gardiner Bump [and others] With 4 paintings in full color by Fred. Everett and 127 sketches by Clayton B. Seagears and Fred. Everett. [Albany?]1947. url p. 333, p. 913.
- The summer birds of Sudbury district, Ontario / [Toronto]: Printed by University of Toronto Press, 1947. url p. 9.
- The summer birds of the northeast shore of Lake Superior, Ontario / [Toronto]: Printed by the University of Toronto Press, 1943. url p. 10.
- The vertebrate eye and its adaptive radiation [by] Gordon Lynn Walls. Bloomfield Hills, Mich., Cranbrook Institute of Science, 1942 url p. 502.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. 23 1919 [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 268.
- Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences. New Haven: Published by the Academy, 1866- url p. 86, p. 86.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 54.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 21 1985 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url fig. 11, page 43.
- Tulane studies in zoology. 9 1961 New Orleans: Tulane University, 1953-1968. url p. 91.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 10 1956 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 105, p. 203, p. 330, p. 378, p. 402, p. 579, p. 624, p. 657, p. 686, p. 699.
- Wild birds in city parks; being hints on identifying 200 birds, prepared primarily for the spring migration in Lincoln Park, Chicago, but adapted to other localities, by Herbert Eugene Walter and Alice Hall Walter. [St. Johnsbury, Vt., Press of the St. Johnsbury republican co.]1910. url p. 28.
- World Checklist of Threatened Birds Joint Nature Conservation Committee url p. 285.
- Zoogeography. A symposium presented on August 26-27, 1957 [under the prime auspices of the Pacific Section of the Society of Systematic Zoology] at the Stanford University joint meeting of the American Institute of Washington, 1958. url p. 453.
- [Articles about birds from National geographic magazine]. Washington, D.C.: National Geographic Society, [19--?]-[193-?] url .
- [Collected reprints, 1902-1928. s.l., s.n.19--] url .
- BirdLife International 2009. Strix varia. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 05February2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 09, 2007:
- Avian Knowledge Network, eBird
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Bird Studies Canada, BC Coastal Waterbird Survey
- Bird Studies Canada, Marsh Monitoring Program - Birds
- Bird Studies Canada, Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 1981-1985
- Bird Studies Canada, Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 2001-2005
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Ontario Nest Records
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Royal British Columbia Museum
- New Brunswick Museum, NBM birds
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 9734
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-177921
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2482044
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 177921
- IUCN ID: 244067
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNSB12020
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 214