Family : Wreckfishes ; Occurs on rock bottoms ; near shore , outside kelp beds and along drop-offs . Large specimens usually found deeper than 30 m , small ones over sand and in kelp beds mostly from 12-21 m. Aggregates for spawning in summer (Ref. 2850). Lives to at least age 70 years.
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Danish:
Californisk havbars, Kæmpehavbars
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Black jewfish, Black sea bass, California black sea bass, Giant Scissortail, giant sea bass, Giant sea-bass, Giant seabass, Pacific back sea bass, Pacific Jewfish, Sea bass
Common Names in French:
Bar Franc, Bar gigantesque, Barr, Barréan géant
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Mandarin Chinese:
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Common Names in Russian:
судак гигантский морской
Common Names in Spanish:
Lubina gigante, Mero pescada, pescara
Typically found in water with a depth of 0 to -5,196 meters (0 to -17,047 feet).
Biome: Marine .
are usually found in and around kelp beds
as well as sandy
areas at depths 12–21 m
(Crooke 1992), whereas adults
usually found deeper than 30 m and they tend to inhabit rocky bottoms
where kelp beds are nearby (Eschmeyer et al.
The fish mature at 7 to 10 years (Domeier 2001). The maximum size of male/unsexed giant sea bass is 250 cm TL (IGFA 2001). Spawning aggregations are formed and remain together for one or two months over the period of June to September (Crooke 1992)..
List of Habitats :
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Huxley, 1880
- Huxley, 1880
- Order: Perciformes () -
- Superorder: Acanthopterygii ()
- Cohort: Clupeocephala ()
- Infraclass: Actinopteri ()
- Subclass: Actinopterygii ()
- Class: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Superclass: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Status: Accepted Name
Comment: Author and year.
Last scrutiny: Data last modified by FishBase 18-Jul-1994
Giant sea bass was originally assigned to the grouper family , Serranidae, but was later placed in a new family called the Percichthyidae (Domeier 2001)..
Members of the genus Stereolepis
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 2 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... The genera of fishes. .. A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature. By David Starr Jordan. Stanford University, Calif., The University, 1917-1920. url p. 277.
- A bibliography of fishes, by Bashford Dean. .. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1916-1923. url p. 169.
- A catalogue of the fishes known to inhabit the waters of North America, north of the Tropic of Cancer, with notes on the species discovered in 1883 and 1884, by David Starr Jordan. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1885. url p. 180, p. 83.
- A guide to the study of fishes, New York, H. Holt, 1905. url .
- A guide to the study of fishes, by David Starr Jordan. .. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1905. url p. 321.
- A list of common and scientific names of fishes from the United States and Canada. Report presented at the eighty-ninth annual meeting, Clearwater, Fla., Sept. 16-18, 1959. Ann Arbor, Mich., 1960. url p. 26.
- American fishes: a popular treatise upon the game and food fishes of North America, with especial reference to habits and methods of capture / by G. Brown Goode. New York: Standard Book Co., 1888, c1887. url p. 52.
- American fishes; a popular treatise upon the game and food fishes of North America, with especial reference to habits and methods of capture, Boston, L. C. Page[c1903]. url , , .
- American food and game fishes. A popular account of all the species found in America north of the equator, with keys for ready identification, life histories and methods of capture, . by David Starr Jordan...and Barton Warren Evermann...illustrated with colored plates and text drawings, and with photographs from life, by A. Radclyffe Dugmore. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & Co., 1908. url p. 377, p. 380, p. 569.
- American food and game fishes: A popular account of all the species found in America north of the equator, with keys of ready identification, life histories and methods of capture New York: Doubleday, Page & co., 1902. url , , .
- American food and game fishes: a popular account of all the species found in America, north of the equator, with keys for ready identification, life histories and methods of capture, by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann; with photos. from life by A. Radclyffe Dugmore. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1908, c1902. url p. 377, p. 380, p. 569.
- Annual report of the Director to the Board of Trustees for the year. .. / Field Columbian Museum. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1895-1905. url p. 130.
- Big game at sea, by Charles Frederick Holder. .. London, Hodder & Stoughton, 1908. url p. 265.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 467.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 1137, p. 1138, p. 159, p. 161, p. 175, p. 531.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1971- url p. 129.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 192, p. 20, p. 20, p. 21, p. 221, p. 227, p. 258, p. 26, p. 296, p. 31, p. 31, p. 315, p. 318, p. 325, p. 36, p. 446, p. 47, p. 5, p. 5, p. 60, p. 62, p. 67, p. 9.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 725.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 725.
- College zoology, New York, The Macmillan company, 1912 url p. 466.
- College zoology. New YorkMacmillan1918 url p. 466.
- Commercial fisheries review. [Washington]: National Marine Fisheries Service; [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.] url p. 24.
- Common marine fishes of California. [Sacramento: California State Print. Off., ]1948. url p. 11, p. 150, p. 51.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 165.
- Dean bibliography of fishes. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1971-1973. url p. 566, p. 568, p. 616, p. 676, p. 709, p. 712, p. 716.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 111, p. 76.
- Field book of giant fishes, by J. R. Norman and F. C. Fraser. With 8 plates in full color and over 100 drawings by W. P. C. Tenison. New York, G. P. Putnam url figs. 39-41 , p. 117, p. 118, p. 359, p. vii.
- Fisheries of the United States, 1908. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1911. url p. 311, p. 9.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url p. 23, p. 498.
- Fishery statistics of the United States / prepared by Data Management and Statistics Division. Washington, D.C.: Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service: url p. 221, p. 233, p. 263, p. 275, p. 282, p. 319, p. 323, p. 352, p. 392, p. 394, p. 443, p. 465, p. 466, p. 518, p. 555, p. 655, p. 732.
- Fishes, New York, H. Holt and Company, 1907. url .
- Fishes, by David Starr Jordan. .. with 18 colored plates and 673 illustrations. .. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1907. url p. 535.
- Game birds and game fishes of the Pacific Coast, by H. T. Payne. With ready reference diagrams of each family, giving the scientific and common names of each genus and species, their relationship, breeding grounds and general range. Los Angeles: News Publishing Co., [c1913] url p. 166.
- Guide to the Gallery of Fishes [London]: BM(NH), 1908 url p. 147.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 5.
- Life and sport on the Pacific slope, by Horace Annesley Vachell. . New York, Dodd, Mead and company, 1901 url p. 328.
- Life in the open; sport with rod, gun, horse, and hound in southern California, by Charles Frederick Holder. London: G. P. Putnam's Sons,  url p. 244.
- Natural history. New York: American Museum of Natural History. url p. 273.
- Nature and science on the Pacific coast: a guide-book for scientific travelers in the West / edited under the auspices of the Pacific coast committee of the American Association for the Advancement of Science; illustrated with nineteen text figures, twenty-nine half-tone plates and fourteen San Francisco: P. Elder, [c1915] url p. 121, p. 121.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 142, p. 57, p. 703, p. xli.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 11, p. 21.
- Pamphlets on forestry. Fish and game. [1900?- url p. 1137, p. 1138, p. 1161.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 250, p. 251, p. 329, p. 329, p. 402, p. 402, p. 409, p. 409, p. 599, p. 599.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, 1979- url p. 328.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url , p. 151, p. 234, p. 27, p. 435, p. 437, p. 440, p. 47, p. 477, p. 506, p. 526, p. 526, p. 582, p. 657, p. 843, p. 880.
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url p. 122, p. 25, p. 370, p. 370, p. 452, p. 642, p. 670, p. 671, p. 871, p. 968.
- Report of the United States Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year. .. with appendixes Washington: G.P.O., 1914- url p. 227, p. 275, p. 275, p. 308, p. 326, p. 4, p. 431, p. 545, p. 552, p. 552.
- Salt water game fishing, New York, Outing publishing company, 1914. url p. 112, p. 161.
- Sea and inland fisheries: report. DublinStationery Off. url p. 199.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 22 1882 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 27, p. 47, p. 531.
- The American natural history: a foundation of useful knowledge of the higher animals of North America / William T. Hornaday. .. illustrated by 225 original drawings. .. 151 photographs. .. and with numerous charts and maps. New York: C. Scribner's sons, 1914. url p. 346.
- The American natural history; a foundation of useful knowledge of the higher animals of North America, New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1914. url .
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 489, p. 490, p. 491, p. 544, p. 547.
- The Channel Islands of California: a book for the angler, sportsman, and tourist / by Charles Frederick Holder. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1910. url p. 109, p. 370, p. 84.
- The West American scientist. San Diego, Calif.: C.R. Orcutt, 1884-1919. url p. 53.
- The big game fishes of the United States, by Charles Frederick Holder. .. London, Macmillan & Co., ltd., 1903. url p. 106, p. 426, p. 434.
- The days of a man, being memories of a naturalist, teacher and minor prophet of democracy. Yonkers-on-Hudson, N.Y.World book company1922 url p. 205.
- The days of a man: being memories of a naturalist, teacher, and minor prophet of democracy / by David Starr Jordan Yonkers-on-Hudson, N.Y.: World Book Co., 1922 url p. 205, p. 233.
- The fisheries and fishery industries of the United States. Prepared through the co-operation of the commissioner of fisheries and the superintendent of the tenth census by George Brown Goode. .. and a staff of associates. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1884-87. url p. 413, p. 889.
- The fishes of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the species of fish-like vertebrates found in the waters of North America, north of the Isthmus of Panama / by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum, 1896-1900. url p. 1138, p. 1161.
- The fishes of the Indo-Australian Archipelago. .. by Dr. Max Weber. .. and Dr. L.F. de Beaufort. Leiden, E.J. Brill, Ltd., 1911- url p. 375.
- The fishes of the Pacific coast; New York, Dodge publishing company[c1912] url p. 50, p. 61.
- The fishes of the Pacific coast; a handbook for sportsmen and tourists, by Charles Frederick Holder. New York: Dodge publishing company, [c1912] url p. 50, p. 61.
- The game fishes of the world / London; Hodder and Stoughton, . url , , , .
- The genera of fishes. ..: A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature / By David Starr Jordan. Stanford University, Calif.: The University, 1917-1920. url p. 277.
- The lipids, their chemistry and biochemistry. New York, Interscience Publishers, 1951-57. url p. 1000, p. 498, p. 548, p. 670, p. 910.
- The resources of California: comprising agriculture, mining, geography, climate, commerce, &c., and the past and future development of the state / By John S. Hittell. New York: A. Roman, 1863. url p. 143.
- The sportsman's gazetteer and general guide. The game animals, birds and fishes of North America: their habits and various methods of capture. Copious instructions in shooting, fishing, taxidermy, woodcraft, etc. Together with a glossary, and a New York, Orange Judd Companyu, 1883. url .
- The underwater guide to marine life [by] Carleton Ray and Elgin Ciampi. New York, Barnes url p. 228.
- The vitamins: chemistry, physiology, pathology. Edited by W. H. Sebrell, Jr. [and] Robert S. Harris. New York, Academic Press, 1954. url p. 102, p. 28.
- Transactions of the Pacific fisheries society at its. .. annual meeting. Seattle, Wash, The Society, 1915-16. url p. 74.
- Voyage of the 'Albatross' to the Gulf of California in 1911. New York, 1916. url p. 413.
- Zoological Society bulletin. [New York]: New York Zoological Society. url , p. 816.
- American Fisheries Society. Common and Scientific Names of Fishes from the United states, Canada, and Mexico Sixth Edition. Special Publication 29.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Cornish, A. (Grouper & Wrasse Specialist Group) 2004. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 18, 2008.
- Cornish, A. 2004. Stereolepis gigas. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 05February2012.
- FishBase. Release date: January 5, 2010
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 01, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 5 providers.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- Sedberry, George (from FishBase).
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 01, 2008:
- FishBase: FishBase DiGIR Provider - Philippine Server
- Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History: Vertebrate specimens
- Museum national d'histoire naturelle: Ichtyologie
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History: Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- University of Kansas Biodiversity Research Center: Fish Collection
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 139158
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Fis-30676
- Fishbase Species ID: 3310
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13833609
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 167918
- IUCN ID: 243827
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 8949
- Eschmeyer, W.N., E.S. Herald and H. Hammann (1983). A field guide to Pacific coast fishes of North America. Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston, U.S.A. 336 p. [back]
- Mean = 281.440 meters (923.360 feet), Standard Deviation = 568.700 based on 9,098 observations. Ocean depth information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- Cornish, A. 2004. Stereolepis gigas. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 05 February 2012. [back]
- Robins, C.R., R.M. Bailey, C.E. Bond, J.R. Brooker, E.A. Lachner, R.N. Lea and W.B. Scott (1991). Common and scientific names of fishes from the United States and Canada. Am. Fish. Soc. Spec. Pub. (20):183 p. [back]