Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in Georgian:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hungarian:
Common Names in Korean:
Typically found in the intertidal zone at the water's edge at a mean distance from sea level of -61.94 meters (-203.22 feet).
- Chatton, 1925
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Linnaeus, 1758) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- De Blainville, 1816
- Phylum: Porifera () - Grant, in Todd, 1836 - Sponges
- Infrakingdom: Spongiaria () - De Blainville, 1816
- Subkingdom: Radiata () - (Linnaeus, 1758) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Animals
Spongia mollissima Schmidt • Spongia officinalis adriatica Schmidt • Spongia officinalis mediterranea Hyatt • Spongia officinalis tubuliformis Hyatt • Spongia officinalis zimocciformis Hyatt • Spongia quarnerensis Schmidt
Status: Accepted Name
Comment: Subgenus : Spongia
Last scrutiny: 10-Dec-2005
Members of the genus Spongia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 6 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A general system of nature: through the three grand kingdoms of animals, vegetables, and minerals; systematically divided into their several classes, orders, genera, species, and varieties with their habitations, manners, econo translated from Gmelin's last edition of the celebrated Systema Naturae by Charles Linné; ammended and enlarged by the improvements and discoveries of later naturalists and societies with appropriate London: Printed for Lackington, ALlen, and Co., Temple of the Muses, Finsbury Square; 1802-06. url p. 112, p. 112.
- A history of British sponges and lithophytes / Edinburgh: W.H. Lizars, 1842. url p. 132, p. 59.
- A manual of organic materia medica and pharmacognosy; an introduction to the study of the vegetable kingdom and the vegetable and animal drugs (with syllabus of inorganic remedial agents) comprising the botanical and physical characteristics, source, con Philadelphia, Blakiston url p. 441, p. 602.
- A materia medica: Animalia, containing the scientific analysis, natural history and chemical and medical properties and uses of the substances that are the products of beasts, birds, fishes or insects. .. By Peter P. Good. .. Cambridge, Mass., The author[c1853] url , , p. 1, p. 2, p. 3, p. 4, p. 5, p. 6, p. 7, p. 8, p. xviii.
- A monograph of the British Spongiadæ. London, Pub. for the Ray society by R. Hardwicke, 1864-82. url , , , .
- A monograph on the sub-class Cirripedia, with figures of all the species. By Charles Darwin. London, Ray society, 1851-54. url p. 312.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 1361.
- An introduction to zoology, with directions for practical work (invertebrates) London, Macmillan, 1913. url , , p. 456, p. 58.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 124, p. 484.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 171, p. 423.
- Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905-1950. url p. 420.
- Catalogue of the collections in the museum of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain compiled by E.M. Holmes. London, The Society, 1878. url p. 248.
- Descriptive catalogue of the sponges in the Australian museum, Sydney. By Robert von Lendenfeld. Printed by order of the trustees, E. P. Ramsay. .. curator. London, Printed by Taylor and Francis, 1888. url p. 125, p. 126, p. 130, p. 256.
- Discovery reports. London; Cambridge University Press. url p. 243, p. 340, p. 359, p. 370.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url p. 263, p. 600.
- Guide to the coral gallery (Protozoa, Porifera or sponges, Hydrozoa, and Anthozoa), in the Department of Zoology, British Museum (Natural history) London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1907. url p. 34, p. 36.
- Iconographic encyclopaedia of science, literature, and art. systematically arranged by J.G. Heck. Translated from the German, with additions, and edited by Spencer F. Baird. .. illustrated by five hundred steel plates, containing upwards to twelve thousand en New York, R. Garrigue, 1851. url p. 11.
- Insects and other invertebrates as candidates for the Bern Convention IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 303.
- Marine products of commerce; their acquisition, handling, biological aspects, and the science and techology of their preparation and preservation, by Donald K. Tressler and James McW. Lemon in collaboration with Alexander E. Alexander [and others] New York, Book Division, Reinhold, 1951. url p. 739.
- Narrative of discovery and adventure in Africa, from the earliest ages to the present time: with illustrations of the geology, mineralogy, and zoology. By Professor Jameson, James Wilson, and Hugh Murray. New York: Harper & Brothers, 1840. url p. 359.
- Outlines of comparative anatomy and medical zoology / by Harrison Allen. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1874. url p. 177.
- Outlines of general zoology. New York [N.Y.]: Rudolph Garrigue, 1851. url , , , , p. 16.
- Proceedings - Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society. Dorchester, Eng. url p. 26.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 470.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 529, p. 530.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 9.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 508.
- Report to the government of Ceylon on the pearl oyster fisheries of the gulf of Manaar, by W.A. Herdman. .. With supplementary reports upon the marine biology of Ceylon, by other naturalists. Pub. at the request of the colonial government by the Royal society. London, 1903-06. url p. 211.
- Sea-shore life; The invertebrates of the New York coast, by Alfred Goldsborough Mayer. New York: The New York zoological society, 1905. url p. 27.
- Sea-shore life; the invertebrates of the New York coast and the adjacent coast region, by Alfred Goldsborough Mayer. [New York]A. S. Barnes, 1905. url fig. 3-4 , p. 27.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 105, p. 106, p. 192, p. 231, p. 231, p. 272, p. 274, p. 285, p. 285, p. 289, p. 366, p. 376, p. 470, p. 73, p. 73.
- The British miscellany, or, Coloured figures of new, rare, or little known animal subjects: many not before ascertained to be inhabitants of the British Isles: and chiefly in the possession of the author, James Sowerby. 1 1806 London: Printed by R. Taylor & Co., and sold by the author, J. Sowerby by White, Johnson, Symonds, and all other booksellers, 1806. url p. 87.
- The Canadian journal of industry, science and art. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1856-1867. url p. 361.
- The IUCN Invertebrate Red Data Book IUCN url p. 11, p. 16.
- The Journal of microscopy and natural science. [London: W. P. Collins, 1884- url p. 350.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society of London. London: Academic Press [etc.], 1865-1968. url p. 63.
- The Philosophical transactions of the Royal society of London, from their commencement in 1665, in the year 1800. London, Printed by and for C. and R. Baldwin, 1809. url p. 718.
- The animal kingdom arranged in conformity with its organization. London: Whittaker, 1827. url p. 117.
- The commercial products of the sea or, : Marine contributions to food, industry and art / New York: D. Appleton and company, 1879. url p. 156, p. 159, p. 160, p. 164, p. 165, p. 167.
- The commercial products of the sea; or, Marine contributions to food, industry, and art / By P. L. Simmonds. London: Dutton,  url p. 156, p. 159, p. 160, p. 164, p. 165, p. 167.
- The commercial sponges and the sponge fisheries. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1910. url p. 420.
- The cyclopædia of anatomy and physiology. Ed. by Robert B. Todd. .. London, Sherwood, Gilbert, and Piper, 1836-59. url p. 864.
- The fisheries and fishery industries of the United States. Prepared through the co-operation of the commissioner of fisheries and the superintendent of the tenth census by George Brown Goode. .. and a staff of associates. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1884-87. url p. 819, p. 845, p. 847.
- The fisheries of the Bahamas / by A.J. Adderley. London: W. Clowes and Sons, 1883. url p. 19, p. 34, p. 45, p. 49.
- The microscope, : its history, construction, and applications: being a familiar introduction to the use of the instrument, and the study of microsopical science, / with upwards of 500 engravings... by Tuffen West. London: G. Routledge, 1887. url p. 399.
- The microscope: its history, construction, and application, being a familiar introduction to the use of the instrument and the study of microscopical science / by Jabez Hogg; with upwards of five hundred engravings and coloured illustrations by Tuffen West. London: G. Routledge and Sons, 1871. url p. 399.
- The natural history of many curious and uncommon zoophytes: collected. .. by the late John Ellis. .. Systematically arranged and described by the late Daniel Solander. .. London, B. White and son [etc.]1786. url p. 183.
- The ocean world: being a description of the sea and some of its inhabitants / From the French of Louis Figuier. New YorkD. Appleton url p. 76.
- The ocean. By P. H. Gosse. .. London, Society for promoting Christian knowledge[pref. 1845] url p. 52.
- The sponges of the west-central Pacific. Corvallis, Oregon State College, 1954. url p. 284, p. 288, p. 289, p. 4, p. 5, p. 6.
- The utilization of minute life; being practical studies on insects, Crustacea, Moll sca, worms, polypes, Infusoria, and sponges. By Dr. T. L. Phipson. London, Groombridge, 1864. url p. xix.
- Third American edition of the British encyclopedia, or Dictionary of arts and sciences: comprising an accurate and popular view of the present improved state of human knowledge / by William Nicholson. Philadelphia: Mitchell, Ames and White, 1818. url .
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London. London: [The Society], 1791-1875. url p. 403.
- Voyages and travels in the Levant in the years 1749, 50, 51, 52: containing observations in natural history, physick, agriculture and commerce: particularly on the Holy Land and the natural history of the Scriptures / written originally in the Swedish language by the late Frederick Hasselquist; published. .. by Charles Linnaeus. London: Printed for L. Davis and C. Reymers, 1766. url p. 175.
- Wild life of the world: a descriptive survey of the geographical distribution of animals / London; F. Warne and co., 1916. url p. 393, p. 412, p. 451.
- Zoological classification; a handy book of reference with tables of the subkingdoms, classes, orders, etc., of the animal kingdom, their characters and lists of the families and principal genera. London, J. Van Voorst, 1880. url p. 18.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed February 29, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 3 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- WoRMS Porifera: World Porifera Database. Release date: October 22, 2008
- World Porifera Database, 1.0, 2006.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 29, 2008:
- European Environment Agency: EUNIS
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: MedOBIS
- National Chemical Laboratory: IndOBIS, Indian Ocean Node of OBIS
- NLBIF: Zoological Museum Amsterdam - Porifera
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 490464
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Por-165222
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 47545
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 448675