Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Chip Bird, chip-bird, Chipping Sparrow, Chippy, Hair Bird, hair sparrow, hair-bird, hairbird, little house sparrow, Social Sparrow
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Spanish:
Gorri, Gorrión ceja blanca
Adult Summer: Head : Cap: chestnut Face : Cheeks: gray Eyebrow Line : white Eyeline: black line from bill through eye to ear Bill: black Neck: Nape: gray Body: Underparts: gray Upperparts: light brown with black or brown streaks Tail: Length : long Shape : slightly notched.
Chestnut crown; white eyebrow; black eye stripe from the bill through the eye to the ear ; gray ear patch and nape; back, wings , and tail mottled browns with buff streaking ; two white wing bars; gray rump ; gray to white breast and belly.
About 5.5 inches long, with a wingspan of 8 to 9 inches. Adults weigh about 0.4 ounces .
The wintering habitat includes those areas used for nesting, but is often more grassy and open than the breeding habitat.
Vegetation: tropical lowland evergreen forest, pine forests, tropical lowland evergreen forest, pine-oak forests • Maximum Elevation: 3,800 meters • Foraging Strata: Terrestrial • Center of Abundance: Middle montane: mountains, middle range, 1,600-2,600 m. • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Low
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 3,787 meters (0 to 12,425 feet).
List of Habitats
- 1 Forest
- 1.1 Forest - Boreal
- 1.4 Forest - Temperate
- 1.5 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 1.9 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Montane
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.4 Shrubland - Temperate
- 3.7 Shrubland - Subtropical/Tropical High Altitude
- 4 Grassland
- 4.5 Grassland - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.4 Artificial/Terrestrial - Rural Gardens [more info]
The breeding season
begins in mid-April, peaks in May, and extends
into mid-August. Breeding habitat
includes wooded residential areas,
grassy areas with scattered
, and golf courses
. The Chipping
up to 3.3 m
(11 feet) high in a tree (preferring conifers)
, or on the ground
. The cup-shaped nest
is built out of grass
, and other plant material
and is lined
with hair. The female
2-5 (usually 4) eggs
that she incubates for 11-14 days. The
the incubating female. The young are altricial and fledge
approximately 10 days after hatching
. Both parents care for the young
while they are in the nest and for a short period after they leave
- Breeding Habitat: Urban
- Nest Location: Mid-story/canopy nesting
- Nest Type: Open-cup
- Clutch Size: 4
- Length of Incubation : 11-14 days
- Days to Fledge: 10(8-12)
- Number of Broods: 2
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- Order: Passeriformes () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superorder: Passerimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Spizella passerina (Bechstein, 1798)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 11-Oct-2007
Members of the genus Spizella
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 16 species and subspecies in this genus:
S. arborea (American Tree Sparrow) · S. arborea arborea (American Tree Sparrow) · S. atrogularis (California Black-Chinned Sparrow) · S. atrogularis atrogularis (Black-Chinned Sparrow) · S. breweri (Brewer's Chipping Sparrow) · S. breweri breweri (Brewer's Sparrow) · S. breweri taverneri (Brewer's Sparrow) · S. pallida (Clay-Colored Chipping Sparrow) · S. passerina (Little House Sparrow) · S. passerina passerina (Little House Sparrow) · S. pusilla (Field Chipping Sparrow) · S. pusilla arenacea (Field Sparrow) · S. pusilla pusilla (Field Chipping Sparrow) · S. taverneri (Timberline Sparrow) · S. wortheni (Worthen's Sparrow) · S. wortheni wortheni (Worthen's Sparrow)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A biological survey of the sand dune region on the south shore of Saginaw Bay, Michigan. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Lansing, Mich.: Wynkoop, Hallenbeck, Crawford co., state printers, 1911. url p. 292, p. 343.
- A check list of Rhode Island nesting birds, with data. [Providence? R.I.], c1908. url p. 23.
- A checklist of the vertebrate animals of Kansas / George D. Potts, Joseph T. Collins. [Lawrence, Kan.]: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1991. url p. 18.
- A distributional list of the birds of Montana, with notes on the migration and nesting of the better known species, by Aretas A. Saunders. Berkeley, Calif., The Club, 1921. url p. 122.
- A faunal investigation of Prince Edward County, Ontario / Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1941. url p. 89.
- A faunal investigation of the Sault Ste. Marie region, Ontario / [Toronto]: Royal Ontario Museum, 1942. url p. 151.
- A faunal investigation of western Rainy River District, Ontario / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1938. url p. 212.
- A history of the birds of Colorado, London, Witherby & Co., 1912. url , .
- A preliminary report on the biology of Harding County, northwestern South Dakota / by Stephen S. Visher. Pierre, S.D.: State Publishing Co., 1914. url p. 82.
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York City, for the official year. . [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932] url p. 37, p. 54.
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url .
- Animal Ecology. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall, 1961. url p. 464.
- Animal and plant life in Oklahoma, Norman, 1917. url .
- Annotated list of the Avery bird collection in the Alabama museum of natural history (Geological survey museum) University, Ala., 1921. url .
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 109, p. 126, p. 127, p. 82, p. 93.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 349, p. 425, p. 430, p. 431.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url , p. 237.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: New York Zoological Society, 1897- url p. 168, p. 168.
- Bird blow flies (Protocalliphora) in North America (Diptera: Calliphoridae), with notes on the Palearctic species / Curtis W. Sabrosky, Gordon F. Bennett, and Terry L. Whitworth. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, c1989. url p. 131, p. 236.
- Bird guide: land birds east of the Rockies from parrots to bluebirds / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, N. Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1916, c1909. url p. 100, p. 100.
- Birds of California: an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies / Chicago: A.C. McClurg, 1912, c1903. url .
- Birds of South Carolina, Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url , .
- Birds of South Carolina, by Arthur Trezevant Wayne. With an introduction by the editor. Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url p. 124, p. 221.
- Birds of South Dakota. Vermillion, University of South Dakota, 1920 [i.e. 1921] url .
- Birds of Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks / [United States]: Yellowstone Library and Museum Association in cooperation with National Park Service, U.S. Dept. of Interior, [19--] url .
- Birds of eastern Canada / Ottawa: F.A. Acland, 1922. url .
- Birds of eastern Canada / Ottawa: J. de L. Tache?, 1919. url .
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa: Acland, 1922. url p. 184.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Tache?, printer, 1919. url p. 174.
- Birds of the Boston Public Garden, a study in migration, Boston and New York, Houghton Mifflin co., 1909. url p. 114, p. 236.
- Birds of the Boston Public Garden: a study in migration / by Horace Winslow Wright; with an introduction by Bradford Torrey and illustrations. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co., 1909. url p. 114, p. 114, p. 114, p. 236, p. 236.
- Birds of the Boston Public garden, a study in migration, by Horace Winslow Wright; with an introduction by Bradford Torrey and illustrations. Boston and New York, Houghton Mifflin co., 1909. url p. 114, p. 236.
- Birds of the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangel Island = (Ptitsy Chukotskogo poluostrova i ostrova Vrangelya) / L.A. Portenko; translated from Russian [by P.M. Rao]. New Delhi: Published for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C., by Amerind Pub. Co., 1981- url , , p. 255.
- Birds of the Kansas City region [by] Harry Harris. [St. Louis, Mo.]1919 url p. 299.
- Birds of the New York city region, by Ludlow Griscom, assistant curator of ornithology, with the cooperation of the Linnæan society of New York. .. New York, The Museum, 1923. url p. 281.
- Birds of the Pacific coast, including a brief account of the distribution and habitat of one hundred and eighteen birds that are more or less common to the Pacific coast states and British Columbia, many of which are found east by Willard Ayres Eliot; with fifty-six color plates, by R. Bruce Horsfall. 1923 New York, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1923. url p. 195, p. 82.
- Birds; a miscellaneous collection of 37 pamphlets about birds. Collected and privately bound by Alvin Seale, 1914. v.p., 1910-1913 url p. 33, p. 5, p. 62.
- Breeding-bird populations in the jack pine and mixed jack pine/deciduous stands in central Ontario / Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum, c1995. url p. 22.
- Brigham Young University science bulletin. 1 1960 Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, [1955-1976] url p. 4, p. 72.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 1063, p. 1113, p. 1166, p. 1184, p. 1193, p. 161, p. 1802, p. 1809, p. 1858, p. 254, p. 256, p. 267, p. 391, p. 409, p. 412, p. 738.
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url p. 462.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1970 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 105, fig. 26, fig. 31.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Entomology. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1916. url p. 160, p. 160, p. 30, p. 37.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 240.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 103 1950 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 366, p. 648.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., Govt. Print. Off., 1913-1923. url p. 14, p. 27, p. 27, p. 33, p. 38.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 117, p. 131, p. 255.
- Cassinia. Philadelphia: Delaware Valley Ornithological Club, 1901- url p. 33, p. 66.
- Check-list and bibliography on the occurrence of insects in birds' nests. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 171, p. 446.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 482.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url , , .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 613, p. 659, p. 661, p. 679.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 700.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 82.
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 112.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 140.
- Fauna of New England, 11: list of the aves / by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 160.
- Fauna of New England. Boston, Printed for the [Boston] Society [of Natural History] from the Gurdon Saltonstall Fund, 1904-25. url p. 160, p. 8.
- Fauna of New England. List of the Araneida. Boston, For Society, 1908. url , p. 8.
- Fauna of New England. by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 8.
- Final environmental impact statement: proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award for Apalachicola Bay and lower Apalachicola River, Franklin County, Florida to State of Florida / Washington, D.C.: Office of Coastal Zone Management, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 1979. url .
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 50, p. 88.
- Food of some well-known birds of forest, farm, and garden, Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1912. url .
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1976 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 213, p. 268, p. 80.
- Handbook of birds of the western United States: including the Great Plains, Great Basin, Pacific Slope, and lower Rio Grande Valley / by Florence Merriam Bailey. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1915, c1902. url p. 521.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 80.
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy, 1998- url p. 131.
- Joy of nature: how to observe and appreciate the great outdoors / [editor, Alma E. Guinness]. Pleasantville, N.Y.: Reader's Digest Association, c1977. url p. 342.
- Lake Maxinkuckee. A physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann...and Howard Walton Clark... [Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 560.
- Lake Maxinkuckee: a physical and biological survey / by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. Indianapolis: Dept. of Conservation, 1920. url p. 560.
- List of birds found in West Virginia. Charleston, Tribune Printing Co., 1909. url p. 36.
- Management plan, Robb/Ledford wildlife management area. [Helena]:Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks,  url .
- Memoirs of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1886- url p. 139.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url map 112, page 210, p. 256, p. xviii.
- Michigan bird life, a list of all the bird species known to occur in the state together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, wtih special reference to its relation t [Lansing]Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url .
- Michigan bird life: a list of all the bird species known to occur in the State together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, with special reference to its relation t by Walter Bradford Barrows. Lansing: Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url p. 506.
- Migration of birds. by Frederick C. Linclon; revised by Steven R. Peterson; associate editor Peter A. Anastasi; illustrated by Bob Hines. Washington: Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service: for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1979. url p. 118.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1965 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 51, p. 58, p. 6, p. 64.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 101, p. 103, p. 109, p. 126, p. 127, p. 93.
- Museum paper / Alabama Museum of Natural History. University, Ala.: Alabama Museum of Natural History, 1910-1960. url p. 85.
- Museum paper. University, Ala. [etc.]1910- url p. 85.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 754.
- New York State Museum bulletin. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 82, p. 85.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 12, p. 174, p. 362, p. 38, p. 62.
- Notes on New England birds / Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1910. url .
- Notes on New England birds, by Henry D. Thoreau; arranged and ed. by Francis H. Allen; with illustrations from photographs of birds in nature. Boston, Houghton Mifflin company, 1910. url p. 298.
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 299, p. 491, p. 522.
- P.D. Skaar's Montana bird distribution / revised by the Montana Bird Distribution Committee. [Helena, MT]:Montana Natural Heritage Program, 1996 url p. 103.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 76.
- Pamphlets on forestry in West Virginia. [1900?- url p. 101.
- Parental care and its evolution in birds. Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1952. url .
- Point Lobos Reseerve; State Park, California. Interpretation of a primitive landscape. Sacramento, [State Print. Off., 1954] url p. 96.
- Portraits and habits of our birds, prepared by various authors, ed. by T. Gilbert Pearson, illustrated with colored plates, by Louis Agassiz Fuertes, R. Bruce Horsfall, Edmund J. Sawyer, and Allan Brooks; also. ..photographs and drawin 2 1921 New York city: National association of Audubon societies, 1920- url p. 320.
- Postilla. 1968 New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url p. 40.
- Potential wildlife-highway interactions at select mile-markers along Montana Department of Transportation routes an ArcView GIS analysis / Bozeman, Mont.: Fish and Wildlife Management Program, Montana State University, 2001 url .
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 24, p. 399.
- Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society held at Philadelphia for promoting useful knowledge. Philadelphia: American Philosophical Society url p. 438.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 24, p. 272, p. 284, p. 399, p. 496, p. 588, p. 627, p. 650, p. 761.
- Proceedings of the Nebraska Ornithologists' Union. Lincoln, [1900-15] url p. 32.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 239, p. 438, p. 528, p. 571, p. 572, p. 589, p. 606, p. 608, p. 617.
- Publication. Field Museum of Natural History. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1910-1943. url , , p. 198, p. 204, p. 205, p. 595.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 14, p. 14, p. 15, p. 151, p. 20.
- Report for the year - British Columbia Provincial Museum. [Victoria]; Printed by A. Sutton [etc.], for the Queen. url .
- Robb/Ledford Wildlife management area: draft management plan. Helena, MT: Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks, 1999 url .
- Rock River area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, Natural History Survey Division, in conjunction with State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, IL: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1996- url p. 134.
- Significance of white markings in birds of the order Passeriformes. By Henry Chester Tracy. Berkeley, The University press(1910). url p. 294.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 131 1958 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 101, p. 78.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 26.
- Supplement to the code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds. adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; prepared by a Committee of the Union. New York: The Union, 1889-1920. url p. 378.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 20, p. 31.
- Territorial and mating behavior of the house wren, with 32 figures, Urbana, The University of Illinois Press, 1941. url p. 33.
- The American midland naturalist. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame. url p. 241.
- The American oologists' exchange price list of North American birds' eggs, 1922 / compiled by a committee of twenty-five prominent American oologists. Lacon, Ill.: R. Magoon Barnes, 1922. url p. 73.
- The Arctic prairies, a canoe-journey of 2, 000 miles in search of the caribou; being the account of a voyage to the region north of Aylmer Lake. New York, C. Scribner's Sons[c1911] url .
- The Arctic prairies: a canoe-journey of 2, 000 miles in search of the caribou; being the account of a voyage to the region north of Aylmer Lake / by Ernest Thompson Seton. Toronto: W. Briggs, 1911. url p. 394.
- The Arctic prairies; a canoe-journey of 2, 000 miles in search of the caribou; being the account of a voyage to the region north of Aylmer Lake, New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1911. url p. 394.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 134, p. 149, p. 150, p. 152, p. 174, p. 211, p. 211, p. 212, p. 213, p. 257, p. 27, p. 276, p. 283, p. 285, p. 297, p. 303, p. 315, p. 33, p. 334, p. 368, p. 378, p. 397, p. 401, p. 416, p. 45, p. 455, p. 478, p. 53, p. 88.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 67 1953 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url moore , , mousley , bond , , , p. 108, p. 114, p. 117, p. 120, p. 128, p. 130, p. 133, p. 140, p. 146, p. 151, p. 154, p. 16, p. 161, p. 164, p. 164, p. 165, p. 165, p. 169, p. 173, p. 180, p. 184, p. 203, p. 211, p. 238, p. 239, p. 270, p. 276, p. 281, p. 34, p. 353, p. 366, p. 376, p. 38, p. 391, p. 395, p. 406, p. 409, p. 424, p. 430, p. 434, p. 45, p. 450, p. 471, p. 48, p. 51, p. 51, p. 53, p. 54, p. 580, p. 581, p. 593, p. 6, p. 61, p. 616, p. 62, p. 630, p. 631, p. 636, p. 64, p. 64, p. 64, p. 642, p. 643, p. 647, p. 650, p. 651, p. 652, p. 653, p. 678, p. 69, p. 73, p. 9, p. 90, p. 92, p. 93, p. v.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 6 1945 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url appendix b, page 114, p. 251, p. 251, p. 267, p. 285, p. 485, p. 494, p. 496, p. 519, p. 521, p. 523, p. 53, p. 606, p. 614, p. 652, p. 654, p. 69, p. 736.
- The National geographic magazine. Washington: National Geographic Society, 1888-1959. url p. 682.
- The Natural history of the Toronto Region, Ontario, Canada / edited by J.H. Faull. -- Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1913. url p. 230.
- The Oo?logist for the student of birds, their nests and eggs. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886- url p. 126, p. 138, p. 142, p. 8, p. 98.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 172, p. 172, p. 202, p. 202.
- The Proceedings and transactions of the Nova Scotian Institute of Science. Halifax, Nova Scotian Institute of Science. url .
- The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science. Des moines, Iowa: The Academy, [1889-1987] url p. 100.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 37 1956 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 1278, p. 1371.
- The Warbler. Floral Park: Mayflower Pub. Co., [1903-1913] url p. 33.
- The Wilson bulletin. Columbus, Ohio: Wilson Ornithological Society, 1894- url p. 125, p. 241, p. 87.
- The bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds; also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1915. url p. 346.
- The birds of Connecticut, by John Hall Sage and Louis Bennett Bishop, assisted by Walter Parks Bliss. Hartford, Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url p. 191.
- The birds of El Paso County, Colorado / Colorado Springs: Published by the authority of the Board of Trustees of Colorado College, 1914 url .
- The birds of Illinois and Wisconsin / by Charles B. Cory. Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1909. url p. 198, p. 204, p. 205, p. 595, p. 727, p. 761.
- The birds of New Jersey / by Witmer Stone. Trenton: J.L. Murphy Pub. Co., 1909. url , p. 237.
- The birds of Washington: a complete, scientific and popular account of the 372 species of birds found in the state / by William Leon Dawson. .. assisted by John Hooper Bowles. .. illustrated by more than 300 original half-tones of birds in life, nests, eggs, and favorite haunts, from photographs by the author and ot Seattle: The Occidental publishing co., 1909. url p. 127.
- The birds of Wyoming, with an explanation of recent changes in their distribution; economic aspect also considered. By B. H. Grave and Ernest P. Walker. [Laramie]University of Wyoming, 1913. url p. 63.
- The birds of the Lake St. Martin region, Manitoba / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1937. url p. 49.
- The birds of the Red Deer River, Alberta. n.p., n.d. url p. 257.
- The birds of the vicinity of Lake Nipissing, Ontario / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum], 1939. url p. 24.
- The book of birds, common birds of town and country and American game birds, by Henry W. Henshaw. Illustrated in natural colors with 250 paintings, by Louis Agassiz Fuertes; with chapters of "Encouraging birds around the home, " by F. H. Kennard; "The mysteries of bird migratio 1918 Washington, D. C.: National Geographic Society, 1918. url p. 16.
- The book of birds; common birds of town and country and American game birds, by Henry W. Henshaw; illustrated in natural colors with 250 paintings by Louis Agassiz Fuertes. Washington, D.C., National geographic society url p. 16.
- The changing Illinois environment: critical trends: technical report of the Critical Trends Assessment Project. Springfield, Ill.: Ill. Dept. of Energy and Natural Resources, 1994. url p. 150.
- The influence of distribution and ecology on the thermoregulation of small birds. 1970. url , p. 61.
- The natural history of the Toronto region, Ontario, Canada / edited by J.H. Faull. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1913. url p. 230.
- The oist. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886-1941. url p. 126, p. 142, p. 98.
- The summer birds of the northeast shore of Lake Superior, Ontario / [Toronto]: Printed by the University of Toronto Press, 1943. url p. 25.
- The vertebrates of the Cayuga Lake basin, N. Y., n.p., 1909? url .
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 8 1936 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 144, p. 223, p. 24, p. 297, p. 332, p. 414, p. 52.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 294.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 11 1958 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 308, p. 352, p. 587, p. 606, p. 648, p. 666, p. 672, p. 682.
- Washington State Coastal Zone Management Program amendment no. 3: approval of the Grays Harbor estuary management plan: program draft environmental impact statement. [Olympia, Wash.?]: Grays Harbor Regional Planning Commission; 1983. url p. 9.
- Wild animals of Glacier National Park. The mammals, with notes on physiography and life zones, by Vernon Bailey. .. The birds, by Florence Merriam Bailey. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1918. url p. 177.
- Wild birds in city parks; being hints on identifying 200 birds, prepared primarily for the spring migration in Lincoln Park, Chicago, but adapted to other localities, by Herbert Eugene Walter and Alice Hall Walter. [St. Johnsbury, Vt., Press of the St. Johnsbury republican co.]1910. url p. 38.
- Wild life in Canada / by Angus Buchanan. Toronto: McClelland, Goodchild and Stewart, 1920. url p. 255.
- Wild life in Canada, by Captain Angus Buchanan. .. with numerous photographs by the author. New York: F. A. Stokes, 1920. url p. 255.
- Yearbook of agriculture. WashingtonU.S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 726.
- Yosemite nature notes. [Yosemite National Park, Calif.: Yosemite Natural History Association url p. 137.
- [Collected reprints, 1895-1916. s.l., s.n., 19--] url , .
- BirdLife International 2009. Spizella passerina. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 04February2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 05, 2008:
- Avian Knowledge Network: eBird
- Avian Knowledge Network: Great Backyard Bird Count
- Avian Knowledge Network: Project FeederWatch
- Bird Studies Canada: Marsh Monitoring Program - Birds
- Bird Studies Canada: Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 1981-1985
- Bird Studies Canada: Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 2001-2005
- Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: North West Territories and Nunavut Bird Checklist, Canada
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds (Aves)
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Royal British Columbia Museum
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Bird Collection
- Cornell University Museum of Vertebrates: Bird Collection
- EMAN Provider: PIROP (Shipboard Surveys)
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University: MCZ Ornithology Collection
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology: Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- New Brunswick Museum: NBM birds
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM: CNAV/Coleccion Nacional de Aves
- University of Alaska Museum of the North: DGR Mammals Specimens
- University of Alaska Museum of the North: MSB Birds Specimens
- University of Colorado Museum: Zoological specimens
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ): Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 7292
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-179437
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2482044
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 179435
- IUCN ID: 243384
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABPBX94020
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 234