Common Names in English:
'The Geometer Moths are the second largest family
of moths in North America. This family includes many serious agricultural and forest
pests. These moths are small to medium in size, with slender bodies and broad wings
. On average, the wingspan of these moths is 1-6 cm, though the females of some species lack wings entirely. Larvae are usually twiglike and lack the first 2-3 pairs of prolegs. They move by extending the front of the body as far forward as possible, then bringing the rear
of the body up to meet it; this is how they have gotten the name
"inchworm" or "measuringworm." Larvae usually feed
externally on leaves and pupate in loose
in leaf litter
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Latreille, 1829
- Snodgrass, 1938
- Heymons, 1901
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Order: Lepidoptera () - Linnaeus, 1758 - Butterflies and Moths
- Superorder: Amphiesmenoptera ()
- Cohort: Myoglossata ()
- Infraclass: Pterygota ()
- Subclass: Dicondylia ()
- Class: Insecta () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Insects
- Epiclass: Hexapoda ()
- Superclass: Panhexapoda ()
- Infraphylum: Atelocerata () - Heymons, 1901
- Subphylum: Mandibulata () - Snodgrass, 1938
- Phylum: Arthropoda () - Latreille, 1829 - Arthropods
- Superphylum: Panarthropoda () - Cuvier
- Infrakingdom: Ecdysozoa () - A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Sphacelodes vulneraria< /i> (Hübner 1821)
Name Status: Accepted Name .
Members of the genus Sphacelodes
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 1 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 335, p. 335.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 167.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 94.
- Journal of Hymenoptera research. 10 Washington, D.C.: International Society of Hymenopterists, [1992- url p. 186.
- List of the specimens of lepidopterous insects in the collection of the British Museum / London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1854-66. url p. 214.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 28.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 149, p. 458.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url p. 383.
- The butterfly book; a popular guide to a knowledge of the butterflies of North America. By W.J. Holland. .. With 48 plates in color-photography, reproductions of butterflies in the author's collection, and many text illustrations presenting most of the species found in the United States. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & Co., 1914. url .
- The moth book: a popular guide to a knowledge of the moths of North America / by W.J. Holland. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1915. url p. 354.
- The moth book; a popular guide to a knowledge of the moths of North America. .. With forty-eight plates in color photography and numerous illustrations in the text, reproducing specimens in the collection of the author, and in various public and private collections. 1916 Garden City, New York: Doubleday, Page & company, 1916. url p. 354, explanation of plate XLII.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 31, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 16, 2008:
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2601980
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Lep-246085.0
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 1649159
- http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/taxonomy?f=80&sci=Geometridae&com=Geometer Moths, Looper Moths [back]