Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Bulgarian:
Common Names in Czech:
Sumec, Sumec Obecny, Sumec Velk, Sumec Velká, Sumec Velký
Common Names in Danish:
Europ, Europæisk Malle, Malle
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Danube Catfish, Wels Catfish, Danubian Wels, European Catfish, Sheatfish, Som Catfish, Wels
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Salut, Silure Glane
Common Names in German:
Donauwels, Europ, Europäischer Flußwels, Flu, Flußwels, Schaden, Schaiden, Schait, Scharn, Scheid, Scheidel, Uwelra, Wälin, Waller, Wallerfisch, Wellenlinien-Rochen, Weller, Welro, Wels, Wil, Wils, Wölz
Common Names in Greek:
Glanidi, Goulianos, Γιαγίνι, Γουλιανός
Common Names in Greek, Modern:
Common Names in Hungarian:
Common Names in Hungarian (Magyar):
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Kirghiz:
Common Names in Latvian:
Common Names in Macedonian:
Common Names in Mandarin Chinese:
Common Names in Marshallese:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Persian:
Esbele, Esbele Europaiye, Esbeleh, Gorba-Mahi, Mahi-E Sebili, Nake, گربه ماهي, گربه ماهي روگاهي
Common Names in Polish:
Sum, Sum Pospolity
Common Names in Portuguese:
Peixe-Gato, Siluro Europeu, Siluro-Europeu
Common Names in Prussian, Old:
Common Names in Romanian:
Common Names in Rumanian:
Iaprac, Iarma, Moaca, Somn, Somn-Pana, Somotei
Common Names in Russian:
Obyknovennyi, Obyknovennyi Som, Som, обыкновенный (европейский) сом, сом, сом европейский
Common Names in Serbian:
Common Names in Slovak:
Sumec Obycajn, Sumec Obycajný
Common Names in Slovenian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Siluro, Siluro Europeo
Common Names in Swedish:
Common Names in Turkish:
Common Names in Ukrainian:
Typically found in a lake at a mean distance from sea level of 96.42 meters (316.34 feet).
Biome: Marine .
Large and medium size lowland rivers , backwaters and well vegetated lakes . Spawns in shallow, warm and well vegetated riverine habitats without current .
Lives up to 80 years in the wild. Spawns for the first time at 2-3 years and 1-2 kg . Spawns in April-June, in northern areas until August, when temperature reaches about 20°C. In spawning grounds , males defend small territories and build nests of plant material , dig shallow depressions or clean spawning substrate such as willow (Salix) roots . Nests are defended by males until larvae emerge . Spawns in pairs. During spawning act, the male embraces the female. Eggs hatch in 2-3 days and larvae remain in nest until yolk sack is absorbed (2-4 days). A nocturnal predator , feeding near bottom and in water column . Very sensitive to extra-aquatic sounds . Head sensory canal system allows to track the wakes [a trail of hydrodynamic and chemical signatures left by a swimming fish] of prey up to 10 seconds old over distances up to 55 times the length of the prey. Larvae and juveniles benthic and negatively phototactic, feeding on a wide variety of invertebrates and fish. Adults feed on fish and other aquatic vertebrates ..
List of Habitats:
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.1 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Rivers/Streams/Creeks (includes waterfalls )
- 5.5 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Lakes (over 8ha)
- 5.7 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Marshes/Pools (under 8ha) [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Huxley, 1880
- Huxley, 1880
- Subclass: Actinopterygii ()
- Class: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Superclass: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Siluris glanis • Silurus glanis aralensis Kessler • Silurus silurus Wulff
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: Data last modified by FishBase 05-Aug-1994
Members of the genus Silurus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 45 species and subspecies in this genus:
S. afghana (Afghanistan Silurus) · S. aristotelis (Aristotle's Catfish) · S. asotus (Far Eastern Catfish) · S. aspredo (Banjo Catfish) · S. atherinoides (Indian Topasi) · S. attu (Freshwater Shark) · S. bagre (Coco Sea Catfish) · S. bajad (Black Nile Catfish) · S. batrachus (Toyman's Spotted Catfish) · S. bicirrhis (Indian Glass Wels) · S. bimaculatus (Indian Butter-Catfish) · S. biwaensis (Lake Biwa Catfish) · S. callichthys (Bubblenest Catfish) · S. cataphractus (Talking Catfish) · Ameiurus nebulosus (White Bullhead) · S. chilensis (Tollo De Agua Dulce) · S. costatus (Striped Raphael Catfish) · S. docmak (Silver Catfish) · Malapterurus electricus (Electric Catfish) · S. fasciatus (Tiger Shovelnose Catfish) · Ameiurus nebulosus (Hardhead Sea Catfish) · S. fossilis (Scorpion Cat-Fish) · S. galeatus (North African Catfish) · S. garua (River Catfish) · S. glanis (Danube Catfish) · S. gyrinus (Redtail Catfish) · S. herzbergii (Pemecou Sea Catfish) · S. inermis (Haplochromis Quads) · S. limpok (Long-Barbel Sheatfish) · S. lineatus (Striped Cat-Fish Eel) · S. malabaricus (Goan Catfish) · S. marinus (Gafftopsail Sea Catfish) · S. melas (Yellow Belly Bullhead) · S. mento (Kunming-Lake Catfish) · S. militaris (Strong-Headed Cat-Fish) · S. mystus (African Butter Catfish) · S. nodosus (Cocosoda Catfish) · S. olivaris (Flathead Catfish) · S. pabda (Pabdah Catfish) · S. pabo (Pabda Catfish) · S. parkeri (Gillbacker Sea Catfish) · S. schall (Nile Squeaker) · S. singio (Thailand Silurus) · S. soldatovi (Soldatov's Catfish) · S. vittatus (Striped Dwarf Cat Fish)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... The genera of fishes. .. A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature. By David Starr Jordan. Stanford University, Calif., The University, 1917-1920. url , p. 14.
- A bibliography of fishes, New York, American Museum of Natural History, 1916-1923. url , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- A bibliography of fishes, by Bashford Dean. .. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1916-1923. url p. 127, p. 138, p. 270, p. 270, p. 332, p. 332, p. 378, p. 409, p. 409, p. 510, p. 579, p. 591, p. 596, p. 619, p. 629, p. 629, p. 639, p. 639, p. 65, p. 664, p. 664, p. 668, p. 668, p. 684, p. 684, p. 692, p. 97.
- A general system of nature: through the three grand kingdoms of animals, vegetables, and minerals; systematically divided into their several classes, orders, genera, species, and varieties with their habitations, manners, econo translated from Gmelin's last edition of the celebrated Systema Naturae by Charles Linné; ammended and enlarged by the improvements and discoveries of later naturalists and societies with appropriate London: Printed for Lackington, ALlen, and Co., Temple of the Muses, Finsbury Square; 1802-06. url p. 55, p. 55.
- A guide to the study of fishes, New York, H. Holt, 1905. url .
- A guide to the study of fishes, by David Starr Jordan. .. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1905. url p. 182.
- A history of British fishes / London: W. Allen, [1876?] url p. 384.
- A history of British fishes / by William Yarrell. ..; illustrated by nearly 400 woodcuts. .. London: John Van Voorst. .., 1836. url p. 403.
- A history of British fishes. By William Yarrell. .. London, J. Van Voorst, 1841. url p. 461.
- A history of fishes; illus. by W. P. C. Tenison. New York, A. A. Wyn, 1949. url p. 64.
- A history of the fishes of the British Islands / by Jonathan Couch. London: G. Bell, 1877-1878. url p. 74, p. 75.
- A manual of comparative anatomy / translated from the German of J.F. Blumenbach, with additional notes, by William Lawrence. London: Printed for W. Simpkin and R. Marshall, 1827. url p. 209.
- A manual of zoology for the use of students: with a general introduction on the principles of zoology / New York: D. Appleton, 1877. url .
- A manual of zoology. .. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1870. url p. 486.
- A revision of the cestode family, Proteocephalidae, by George Roger La Rue. Urbana, University of Illinois, 1914 url p. 181, p. 183, p. 185, p. 96.
- A student's text-book of zoology / by Adam Sedgwick. London: S. Sonnenschein and co.; 1898-1909. url p. 221.
- A student's text-book of zoology, by Adam Sedgwick. .. London, Macmillan Co., 1898-1909. url p. 221.
- A text-book of physiological chemistry for students of medicine and physicians, by Charles E. Simon. .. New York, Lea Brothers, 1901. url p. 70, p. 70.
- A treatise on zoology / edited by E. Ray Lankester. London: A. & C. Black, 1900-1909. url p. 382.
- A treatise on zoology London, A. and C. Black, 1900-1909 url p. 378, p. 494.
- A treatise on zoology. London, Adam and Charles Black, 1900-1909 url p. 494.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url , p. 157.
- American fish-culture, embracing all the details of artificial breeding and rearing of trout; the culture of salmon, shad, and other fishes. By Thaddeus Norris. Philadelphia, Porter & Coates; [etc., etc.]1868. url p. 282, p. 282.
- An introduction to the natural history of fishes: being the article "Ichthyology, " from. .. the Encyclopædia Britannica / by James Wilson. 1838 Edinburgh, etc.: Adam and Charles Black, [et al.]1838. url p. 202, p. 8.
- An introduction to the study of fishes, Edinburgh, A. and C. Black, 1880. url , .
- An introduction to zoology for the use of high schools / by R. Ramsay Wright. Toronto: Copp, Clark, 1889. url .
- An introduction to zoology, for the use of High schools. Toronto: Copp, Clark, 1889. url p. 55.
- Anatomical, phylogenetical and clinical studies on the central nervous system, by B. Brouwer. Baltimore, Pub. for the Johns Hopkins university by the Williams & Wilkins company, 1927. url p. 31.
- Anatomischer Anzeiger. Jena: G. Fischer, 1886- url , , , p. 138, p. 14, p. 18, p. 211, p. 27, p. 272, p. 351, p. 387, p. 43, p. 459, p. 47, p. 7, p. 70, p. 71, p. 77, p. 8, p. 80, p. 9.
- Angling / by Leroy M. Yale [et al.] [New York]: C. Scribner's Sons, 1897. url p. 183.
- Animal and vegetable physiology considered with reference to natural theology. London, W. Pickering, 1834. url p. 390.
- Animal and vegetable physiology, considered with reference to natural theology, byyy Peter Mark Roget. Philadelphia, Carey, Lea & Blanchard, 1836. url p. 276.
- Animal geography, the faunas of the natural regions of the Globe. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1913. url p. 199.
- Animal geography: the faunas of the natural regions of the globe / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1913. url .
- Animal parasites and messmates. New York, D. Appleton and Co., 1876. url .
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 438, p. 439, p. 440.
- Aristotle's History of animals. In ten books. London, Bell, 1887. url p. 308, p. 38, p. 9.
- Aristotle's researches in natural science, by Thomas East Lones. London, West, Newman & co., 1912. url p. 234, p. 235.
- Aristotle. On the parts of animals. Translated, with introduction and notes by W. Ogle. ... London, K. Paul, French & co., 1882. url p. 248.
- Boston journal of natural history. 5 1845 - 18 Boston, Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 485.
- Brain and body of fish; a study of brain pattern in relation to hunting and feeding in fish, by H. Muir Evans. Philadelphia, The Blakiston company, 1940. url p. 73.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 120, p. 346.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 39.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute. url p. 58.
- Bulletin of the United States Fish Commission. Washington, The Commission, Govt. Print. Off. url p. 492.
- Bulletin of the scientific laboratories of Denison University. Granville, Ohio: [The University], 1885- url p. 47.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 59.
- Calcutta journal of natural history, and miscellany of the arts and sciences in India. Calcutta, Bishop's College Press. url p. 575.
- Camallanata of animals and man and diseases caused by them = Kamallanaty zhivotnykh i cheloveka i vyzyvaemye ime zabolevaniya / V. M. Ivashkin, A. A. Sobolev, and L. A. Khromova; translated from Russian [by Hilary Hardin]. Jerusalem: Israel Program for Scientific Translations, 1977. url p. 28, p. 76.
- Cassell's natural history. Ed. by P. Martin Duncan. .. London [etc]Cassell & Company, Limited, 1896. url p. 107, p. 108, p. 409.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 11, p. 156, p. 31, p. 83.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 11, p. 156, p. 31, p. 83.
- Catalogue of the collections in the museum of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain compiled by E.M. Holmes. London, The Society, 1878. url p. 260, p. 298.
- Catalogue of the fishes in the British Museum / by Albert Gu?nther. .. [Tokyo?]: Kagaku Kisho Hakkokai, Sho?wa 13 . url p. 172, p. 32, p. 429.
- Catalogue of the fishes in the. .. Museum / by A. Günther 1864. url p. 32, p. 429.
- Cellular toxins; or, The chemical factors in the causation of disease, Philadelphia and New York, Lea Brothers & Company, 1902. url .
- Chemistry of the proteids, by Gustav Mann. Based on Professor Otto Cohnheim's 'Chemie der eiweisskörper.' London, Macmillan and co., limited, 1906. url p. 424.
- Commercial fisheries review. [Washington]: National Marine Fisheries Service; [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.] url p. 121.
- Contributions to North American ichthyology. Based primarily on the collections of the United States National Museum. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1877-1878. url p. 120.
- Contributions to natural history, chiefly in relation to the food of the people, by a rural D. D. Edinburgh: W. Blackwood, 1865. url p. 356, p. 357.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 17, p. 415, p. 592, p. 624, p. 643, p. 700, p. 95.
- Cuvier's animal kingdom: arranged according to its organization / translated from the French, and abridged for the use of students by H. McMurtrie. London: Orr and Smith, 1840. url p. 316.
- Dean bibliography of fishes. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1971-1973. url p. 130, p. 142, p. 176, p. 185, p. 187, p. 191, p. 192, p. 194, p. 202, p. 204, p. 220, p. 221, p. 252, p. 262, p. 268, p. 275, p. 276, p. 278, p. 279, p. 280, p. 284, p. 289, p. 319, p. 321, p. 323, p. 325, p. 326, p. 329, p. 334, p. 338, p. 453, p. 470, p. 489, p. 490, p. 493, p. 529, p. 540, p. 593, p. 612, p. 614, p. 619, p. 620, p. 625, p. 634, p. 652, p. 659, p. 661, p. 719, p. 72, p. 733.
- Ecological animal geography; an authorized, rewritten edition based on Tiergeographie auf ockologischer grundlage / by Richard Hesse. .. prepared by W. C. Allee. .. and Karl P. Schmidt. .. New York: J. Wiley & Sons, Inc.; 1937. url p. 130, p. 341, p. 342, p. 591.
- Edinburgh encyclopaedia, conducted by David Brewster. .. with the assistance of gentlemen eminent in science and literature. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1830. url p. 668.
- Electro-physiology / by W. Biedermann; translated by F. A. Welby. London: Macmillan, 1896-98. url p. 374, p. 374, p. 391, p. 391.
- Elementary text-book of zoology. By Dr. C. Claus, tr. and ed. by Adam Sedgwick with the assistance of F. G. Heathcote. London, W. S. Sonnenschein, 1884-85. url p. 170.
- Elements of natural history, adapted to the present state of the science, containing the generic characters of nearly the whole animal kingdom, and the descriptions of the principal species. By John Stark. .. Edinburgh: W. Blackwood; [etc., etc.], 1828. url p. 418.
- Elements of the comparative anatomy of vertebrates. London, Macmillan, 1897. url .
- Essex naturalist: being the journal of the Essex Field Club. Buckhurst Hill, Essex, The Club. url p. 152.
- Fauna boreali-americana, or, The zoology of the northern parts of British America: containing descriptions of the objects of natural history collected on the late northern land expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. / by John Richardson, surgeon and naturalist to the expeditions; assisted by William Swainson and the Reverend William Kirby. London: J. Murray [etc.], 1829-1837. url p. 132.
- Fertilization in fishes and the problem of polyspermy = Oplodotvorenie u ryb i problema polispermii / by A.S. Ginzburg; edited by T.A. Detlaf. Jerusalem: Israel Program for Scientific Translations, 1972. url p. 316, p. 317, p. 64.
- Fish and fisheries of New South Wales. Sydney, T. Richards, 1882. url .
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url p. 545.
- Fishes of Colorado / Max M. Ellis. Boulder: University of Colorado, 1914. url p. 135, p. 15.
- Fishes of the world, by Edouard Le Danois, with the collaboration of Jacques Millot, Theodore Monod [and] Paul Budker. With 80 photogravure plates, 30 colour photos., and text illus. Woodstock, Vt., Countryman Press url p. 189.
- Fishes, living and fossil, an outline of their forms and probable relationships. New York, MacMillan, 1895. url p. 258.
- Fishes, living and fossil. An outline of their forms and probable relationships, by Bashford Dean. .. New York, Macmillan and Co., 1895. url p. 258, p. 258.
- Fishing from the earliest time / William Radcliffe. London: Murray, 1921. url p. 245.
- Fishing from the earliest times / by William Radcliffe. London: J. Murray, 1921. url p. 245.
- Fishing from the earliest times, London, J. Murray, 1921. url .
- Fishing from the earliest times, by William Radcliffe. London, J. Murray, 1921. url p. 245.
- Fishing gossip; or, Stray leaves from the note-books of several anglers. Edinburgh, A. & C. Black, 1866. url , , , , , , .
- Fishing in American waters by Genio C. Scott; with one hundred and seventy illustrations. New York: Harper & Brothers, 1869. url p. 439, p. 440.
- Fishing in American waters. By Genio C. Scott. New York, Harper & brothers, 1875. url p. 137, p. 439, p. 440.
- Fishing in American waters. New York, Harper & brothers url , , p. 439, p. 440.
- Forms of animal life: a manual of comparative anatomy: with descriptions of selected types / by George Rolleston. Oxford, Eng.: Clarendon Press, 1888. url p. 410, p. 410.
- Forms of animal life; a manual of comparative anatomy, with descriptions of selected types; revised and enlarged by W. Hatchett Jackson. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1888. url p. 410.
- Geological magazine. London [etc.]Cambridge University Press. url p. 52.
- Guide to the Galleries of Reptiles and fishes [London]: BM(NH), 1898 url p. 82.
- Guide to the galleries of reptiles and fishes in the Department of zoology of the British museum (Natural history) Illustrated by 101 woodcuts. [London]The Trustees, 1898. url , p. 82.
- Handbook of zoology / by J. van der Hoeven. Cambridge: University Press, 1856-1858. url p. 87.
- Handbuch der Biologie der Wirbeltiere. Von Dr. M. Hilzheimer. unter Mitwirkung von Dr. Phil. O. Haempel. mikt 599 Textabbildungen. vii, 756 p.illus (part col.)26 cm. url p. 14, p. 147, p. 31, p. 68, p. 91.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 131, p. 194, p. 287.
- History of animals in ten books. Translated by Richard Cresswell. London, G. Bell, 1902. url p. 308, p. 38, p. 9.
- Humboldt; Monatsschrift für die gesamten Naturwissenschaften. Stuttgart, F. Enke, 1882-90. url p. 210.
- Hydrobiologische studien über ostalpenseen. Stuttgart, Erwin Nägele, 1923. url p. 446, p. 493, p. 502, p. 541.
- Ichthyology / edited by William Jardine. Edinburgh, etc.: W.H. Lizars, etc., 1852-1854. url p. 384.
- Ichthyology. London: s.n., 1856 url p. 259.
- Illinois biological monographs. Urbana, Univ. of Illinois Press. url p. 181, p. 182, p. 183, p. 185, p. 186, p. 7, p. 77, p. 96.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London, : Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1904-1916. url p. 307.
- Investigations in fish control. Washington: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. url p. 14, p. 6.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 14, p. 21, p. 410, p. 414, p. 416, p. 417, p. 420, p. 432, p. 446, p. 450, p. 482, p. 483, p. 484, p. 487, p. 501, p. 501, p. 505, p. 506, p. 525, p. 532, p. 546, p. 550, p. 565, p. 67, p. 68, p. 712, p. 8, p. 83.
- Journal of anatomy and physiology. Cambridge [Eng., etc.]University Press url p. 106, p. 293.
- Journal of comparative neurology. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wistar Institute of Anatomy and Biology, [1911?- url , p. 12, p. 150, p. 26, p. 41, p. 5, p. 52, p. 535, p. 561, p. 563, p. 567, p. 568, p. 6, p. 63, p. 8.
- Journal of morphology. Boston: Ginn & Co., [1887-1924] url p. 628, p. 629, p. 632, p. 637.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 199.
- Les poissons des eaux douces de la France: anatomie--physiologie--description des espèces--moeurs--instincts--industrie--commerce--resources alimentaires--pisciculture--législation concernant la pêche / par Émile Blanchard. Paris: J. B. Baillière et fils, 1880. url p. 527.
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London, Printed for the Society, 1896. url p. 672, p. 716, p. 716.
- List of vertebrated animals living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. .. London, Printed for the Society, 1866. url p. 201.
- Louis Agassiz, his life and correspondence. LondonMacmillan1885 url p. 38.
- Louis Agassiz: his life and correspondence / edited by Elizabeth Cary Agassiz Boston, Houghton, Mifflin and Company, 1885 url p. 38.
- Louis Agassiz; his life and correspondence, Boston and New York, Houghton, Mifflin and company url p. 40.
- Marine products of commerce; their acquisition, handling, biological aspects, and the science and techology of their preparation and preservation, by Donald K. Tressler and James McW. Lemon in collaboration with Alexander E. Alexander [and others] New York, Book Division, Reinhold, 1951. url p. 533.
- Materials for the study of variation: treated with especial regard to discontinuity in the origin of species / by William Bateson. London: Macmillan, 1894. url p. 540.
- Monitore zoologico italiano. [Siena]: Instituto anatomico della R. Università di Siena, [1890-1988] url p. 10.
- Monogenetic trematodes: their systematics and phylogeny / by Boris E. Bychowsky; edited by William J. Hargis, Jr.; translated by Pierre C. Oustinoff. Washington, D.C.: American Institute of Biological Sciences, c1961. url p. 172, p. 174, p. 43, p. 580, p. 609, p. 626, p. 67.
- Natural history of the animal kingdom for the use of young people: in three parts, comprising I. Mammalia: II. Birds: Part III. Reptiles, amphibia, fishes, insects, worms, molluscs, zoophytes, &c.: with 91 coloured plates, including about 850 figures, and numerous adapted from the German of Professor von Schubert by W.F. Kirby. 1889 Brighton: E. & J.B. Young and Co., 1889. url p. XII.
- Natural history, by R. Lydekker [and others] London, Hutchinson, 1897. url p. 764.
- Natural history: Fishes / by P. H. Gosse. London: Printed for the Society for promoting Christian knowledge, 1851. url p. 228.
- Natural history: a manual of zoology for schools, colleges, and the general reader / by Sanborn Tenney. New York: Charles Scribner & Co., 1865. url p. 345.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 636.
- Northern fishes: with special reference to the Upper Mississippi Valley / [by] Samuel Eddy and Thaddeus Surber. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press,  url p. 275.
- Notes on fish and fishing. London, S. Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, 1877. url .
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 27.
- Official lists and indexes of names and works in zoology / edited by R.V. Melville and J.D.D. Smith. London: ICZN, 1987. url p. 167.
- On the anatomy of vertebrates. .. By Richard Owen. London, Longmans, Green and Co., 1866-68. url p. 369, p. 457, p. 908.
- On the anatomy of vertebrates. London, Longmans, Green, 1866-68. url , , p. 369, p. 457, p. 908.
- Opinions and declarations rendered by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. London, Printed by order of the International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 261, p. 371, p. 381, p. 417.
- Outlines of comparative physiology touching the structure and development of the races of animals, living and extinct: for the use of schools and colleges / by Louis Agassiz and A.A. Gould; edited from the revised edition and greatly enlarged by Thomas Wright, M.D.; with 390 illustrations. London: Bell & Daldy, 1870. url p. 44.
- Outlines of comparative physiology: touching the structure and development of the races of animals, living and extinct, for the use of schools and colleges / by Louis Agassiz and A. A. Gould; ed. from the rev. ed. & greatly enl., by Thomas Wright. London: Bell & Daldy, 1867. url p. 44.
- Outlines of general zoology. New York [N.Y.]: Rudolph Garrigue, 1851. url , , p. 216.
- Palestine: the physical geography and natural history of the Holy Land / London: Charles Knight, 1841. url p. 418.
- Pliny's Natural history. In thirty-seven books. A translation on the basis of that by Dr. Philemon Holland, edited 1601. .. Edited by the Wernerian club. [London]Printed for the Club by G. Barclay, 1847-49. url p. 124.
- Prehistoric fishing in Europe and North America. By Charles Rau. Washington City, Smithsonian Institution, 1884. url p. 69.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url , p. 241.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 673, p. 726.
- Proceedings of the Canadian Institute. Toronto, Canadian Institute. url p. 279, p. 373, p. 379, p. 379, p. 400, p. 413, p. 413, p. 440, p. 440, p. 442.
- Proceedings of the International Ornithological Congress. [Canberra, etc.]Australian Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 215, p. 217.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 2 1879 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 41, p. 497.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 255, p. 443, p. 444, p. 501, p. 527, p. 626, p. 729, p. 804, p. 940, p. 952, p. 952, p. 954, p. 954, p. 956.
- Proceedings. Royal Society of London. v. 1-75; 1800-1904. London url p. 660.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 16, p. 18, p. 25.
- Records of the Indian Museum. Calcutta: Pub. by order of the trustees of the Indian Museum, . 1907-1962. url p. 84, p. 85.
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url p. 1028, p. 1099, p. 1099, p. 463, p. 463, p. 482, p. 59, p. 599, p. 604, p. 604, p. 61, p. 613, p. 64, p. 654, p. 75, p. 805, p. 86, p. 890.
- Revised list of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological society of London. 1872. London, Printed for the Society,  url p. 371.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 47.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 732.
- Scientific results of the second Yarkand Mission; based upon the collections and notes of the late Ferdinand Stoliczka, PH.D., published by order of the Government of India. 1878-1891. London, Printed by Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1891. url p. 22, p. 23.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 19 1878 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 41, plate 44, p. 497.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 47.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url p. 40.
- Spixiana. 12 1989 München: Zoologische Staatssammlung München, 1977- url fig. 1, p. 334, figs. 4-5, p. 92, p. 95.
- Studies in biology from the Biological Laboratories of the Owens College. Manchester, England: Council of the College, 1886-1899. url p. 146, p. 2, p. 23.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 19, p. 80.
- Text book of zoology London, Sampson Low, Marston, 1896. url .
- The American angler's book: embracing the natural history of sporting fish, and the art of taking them. With instructions in fly-fishing, fly-making, and rod-making; and directions for fish-breeding. To which is added Dies pisca Thaddeus Norris. Philadelphia: Porter & Coates, 1865. url p. 178.
- The American angler's book; embracing the natural history of sporting fish, and the art of taking them. With instructions in Fly-fishing, fly-making, and rod-making; and directions for fish-breeding. To which is added Dies pisca Philadelphia, E. H. Butler, 1865  url .
- The American angler. New York: [The Angler's Publishing Company], 1881- url p. 93.
- The American journal of science and arts. New-Haven: S. Converse, url p. 342, p. 348.
- The American journal of science. 36 1839 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 342, p. 348.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 202, p. 202, p. 205, p. 205, p. 352, p. 352, p. 70, p. 70.
- The Australian zoologist. Sydney, Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales url p. 224.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 45.
- The British cyclopædia of natural history: combining a scientific classification of animals, plants, and minerals. .. By authors eminent in their particular department. Arranged and ed. by Charles F. Partington. London: Orr & Smith, 1835-37. url p. 689.
- The Cambridge natural history, London, Macmillan and Co., Limited;1895-1909 url , .
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited;1895-1909 url p. 358, p. 358, p. 592, p. 593.
- The Country gentleman's magazine. London, S. Marshall & Co. url p. 475.
- The Journal of animal behavior. Albany, N.Y.: Henry Holt and Co., [1911-1917?] url p. 431.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society of London. London: Academic Press [etc.], 1865-1968. url p. 364, p. 365, p. 373, p. 519.
- The Quarterly journal of science. London: J. Churchill and Sons, etc., 1864-1879. url p. 474.
- The Riverside natural history. Ed. by John Sterling Kingsley. Articles by C.C. Abbott, J.A. Allen, W.B. Barrows [etc.]. .. Illustrated by more than twenty-two hundred woodcuts in the text, one hundred and sixty-eight full-page engr Boston, Houghton, Mifflin and Company[c1888] url p. 112.
- The Trematoda of British fishes. London, Sold by B. Quaritch, 1947. url p. 33.
- The University of Colorado studies. Boulder, University of Colorado. url p. 135, p. 15.
- The Victoria history of the county of Essex. [Edited by H. Arthur Doubleday and William Page] Westminster[Constable]1903- url p. 226.
- The anatomical record. [New York, etc.]A. R. Liss [etc.] url p. 307.
- The angler-naturalist: a popular history of British fresh-water fish, with a plain explanation of the rudiments of ichthyology. By H. Cholmondeley Pennell. London, J. Van Doorst, 1863. url p. 210, p. 417.
- The angler-naturalist; a popular history of British fresh-water fish, with a plain explanation of the rudiments of ichthyology. London, J. Van Voorst, 1863. url .
- The animal creation: a popular introduction to zoology. London, Society for Promoting Knowledge, 1865. url p. 333.
- The animal kingdom arranged in conformity with its organization / by the Baron Cuvier; the Crustacea, Arachnides and Insecta, by P.A. Latreille; translated from the French, with notes and additions, by H. M'Murtrie; in four volumes, with plates. New York: G. & C. & H. Carvill, 1831. url p. 214, p. 214.
- The animal kingdom, arranged according to its organization, serving as a foundation for the natural history of animals: and an introduction to comparative anatomy / by Baron Cuvier; with figures designed after nature: the Crustacea, Arachnides, & Insecta, by M. Latreille; translated from the latest French edition; with additional notes, and illustrated by near London: G. Henderson, 1834-1837. url p. 183.
- The animal kingdom, arranged after its organization, forming a natural history of animals, and an introduction to comparative anatomy. By the late Baron Georges Cuvier. .. Tr. and adapted to the present state of science. The Mammelia birds, and reptiles, by Edward Blyth. The fishes and Radiala by Robert Mudie. The molluscous animals London, W. S. Orr and co., 1854. url p. 316.
- The animal kingdom: arranged in conformity with its organization / by the Baron Cuvier; translated from the French, and abridged for the use of schools by H. M'Murtrie. New York: G. & C. & H. Carvill, 1833, c1832. url p. 222.
- The aquarium: its inhabitants, structure, and management / by John Ellor Taylor. Edinburgh: John Grant, 1910. url .
- The aquarium; its inhabitants, structure & management. London, Hardwicke, 1876. url .
- The biology of senescence. New York, Rinehart, 1956. url p. 53.
- The childhood of animals, by P. Chalmers Mitchell...with coloured plates by E. Yarrow Jones...and drawings by R. B. Brooks-Greaves. New York: F. A. Stokes Co., [1912?] url p. 137.
- The commercial products of the sea or, : Marine contributions to food, industry and art / New York: D. Appleton and company, 1879. url p. 242.
- The commercial products of the sea; or, Marine contributions to food, industry, and art / By P. L. Simmonds. London: Dutton,  url p. 241, p. 242.
- The cruise of the Betsey, or, A summer ramble among the fossiliferous deposits of the Hebrides with Rambles of a geologist, or, Ten thousand miles over the fossiliferous deposits of Scotland / by Hugh Miller. Edinburgh: Hamilton, Adams, 1858. url p. 290.
- The earth before history; man's origin and the origin of life, by Edmond Perrier. London, K. Paul, Trench, Trubner & co., ltd.1925. url p. 157.
- The fisheries exhibition literature. .. London, W. Clowes, 1884. url p. 201, p. 339.
- The fishes of Great Britain and Ireland. London, Williams and Norgate, 1880-1884. url , p. 312.
- The fishes of the Indo-Australian Archipelago. .. by Dr. Max Weber. .. and Dr. L.F. de Beaufort. Leiden, E.J. Brill, Ltd., 1911- url p. 369.
- The fresh-water fishes of China / by John Treadwell Nichols; with 143 figures in the text, 10 colored plates, and 1 map. 1943 New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1943. url p. 266, chapter III.
- The fresh-water fishes of Europe: a history of their genera, species, structure, habits, and distribution / by H. G. Seeley. London, Cassell & company, limited, 1886. url , p. 91.
- The fresh-water fishes of Europe; a history of their genera, species, structure, habits, and distribution. London, Cassell, 1886. url p. 439, p. 91, p. 92, p. 93, p. ix.
- The genera of fishes. ..: A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature / By David Starr Jordan. Stanford University, Calif.: The University, 1917-1920. url p. 14.
- The harvest of the sea: a contribution to the natural and economic history of the British food fishes / by James G. Bertram. London: John Murray, 1865. url , , , , p. 118, p. 126, p. 127, p. 128, p. 153.
- The harvest of the sea; a contribution to the natural and economic history of the British food fishes, with sketches of fisheries & fisher folk, by James G. Bertram. London, J. Murray, 1869. url , , p. 118, p. 126, p. 127, p. 128, p. 153, p. 482, p. 511, p. 517, p. 69.
- The history of the European fauna. London, W. Scott, 1899. url p. 29, p. 363.
- The journal of comparative neurology. [Granville, Ohio: Published by the Editors, Denison University, url p. 210, p. 218, p. 225, p. 243, p. 244, p. 410.
- The lipids, their chemistry and biochemistry. New York, Interscience Publishers, 1951-57. url p. 498, p. 910.
- The mammals, reptiles, and fishes of Essex; a contribution to the natural history of the county. By Henry Laver. With eight full-page and two half-page illustrations. Chelmsford, E. Durrant & co.; [etc., etc.]1898. url p. 106, p. 137, p. 27.
- The natural history of Pliny. London, H. G. Bohn, 1855-57. url , p. 382.
- The natural history of Pliny. Tr., with copious notes and illustrations, by the late John Bostock and H. T. Riley. London, H. G. Bohn, 1855-57. url p. 382.
- The natural history of animals: the animal life of the world in its various aspects and relations, London, The Gresham Publishing Company, 1903-04. url .
- The naturalist in Australia, London, Chapman & Hall, 1897. url .
- The naturalist in Australia, by W. Saville-Kent. .. London, Chapman & Hall, limited, 1897. url p. 176.
- The naturalist of Cumbrae; a true story, being the life of David Robertson. London, K. Paul, Trench, Trübner, 1891. url p. 369.
- The naturalist's library. Conducted by Sir William Jardine. Edinburgh, W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.]1833- url p. 384.
- The new natural history, by Richard Lydekker. .. and R. Bowdler Sharpe, H.A. MacPherson, F.O. Pickard-Cambridge, W.R. Ogilvie Grant, C.J. Gahan, F.A. Bather, Edgar A. Smith, R.I. Pocock, M. Bernard, H. Bernard and R. Kirkpatr New York, Merrill and Baker[189-?] url p. 454.
- The physiology and pharmacology of the pituitary body / by H.B. Van Dyke. Chicago, Ill.: The University of Chicago Press, -1939. url p. 2.
- The practical angler, or The art of trout-fishing, more particularly applied to clear water. Edinburgh, Black, 1867. url .
- The practical fisherman: dealing with the natural history, the legendary lore, the capture of British freshwater fish, and tackle and tackle making / By J. H. Keene. London: The Bazaar Office, 1881. url p. 25.
- The principal forms of the skeleton and teeth, by R. Owen. Philadelphia, Blanchard and Lea, 1854. url p. 242.
- The principles of biology / by Herbert Spencer. New York: D. Appleton and company, 1896, c1866-67. url p. 416.
- The principles of biology, by Herbert Spencer. New York: D. Appleton and company, [c1898-99] url p. 436.
- The principles of biology. By Herbert Spencer. .. New York: D. Appleton and Company, 1866-67. url p. 416.
- The principles of biology. New YorkD. Appleton1899-1902 url p. 436.
- The royal natural history / edited by Richard Lydekker; with preface by P.L. Sclater; illustrated with seventy-two coloured plates and sixteen hundred engravings by W. Kuhnert. .. [et al.]. London: F. Warne, 1893-1896. url p. 454.
- The royal natural history. With pref. by P. L. Sclater. Illustrated with 72 col. plates and 1600 engravings. London, F. Warne, 1893-96. url p. 454.
- The skull of Amiurus, with eight plates, by James E. Kindred. Urbana, Ill., University of Illinois, c1919 url p. 7, p. 77.
- The standard natural history / edited by John Sterling Kingsley. Boston: S.E. Cassino, 1884-85. url p. 116.
- The standard natural history. Boston, S. E. Cassino and Company, 1884-85. url , , .
- The student's compendium of comparative anatomy / by P. Evers. Philadelphia: A. Waldie, 1839. url p. 54.
- The teratology of fishes / by James F. Gemmill. Glasgow: J. Maclehose and Sons, 1912. url , , p. 61.
- The teratology of fishes. By James F. Gemmill. Glasgow, J. Maclehose and sons, 1912. url p. 61, p. 71, p. xiii, p. xvii.
- The treasury of natural history; or, A popular dictionary of animated nature: in which the zoological characteristics that distinguish the different classes, genera, and species, are combined with a variety of interesting information illustrative of the habits, instincts, and g By Samuel Maunder. .. London, Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1852. url p. 619.
- Transactions of the Canadian Institute. Toronto: Canadian Institute. url p. 373, p. 434, p. 444.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London. London: [The Society], 1879- url p. 167.
- Transactions of the Zoological Society of London. [London]: Published for the Zoological Society of London by Academic Press url p. 368.
- Venoms, venomous animals and antivenomous serum-therapeutics; London, J. Bale & Danielsson, 1908. url , , .
- Venoms: venomous animals and antivenomous serum-therapeutics / by A. Calmette; translated by Ernest E. Austen. London, J. Bale, sons & Danielsson, 1908. url p. 397.
- Venoms; venomous animals and antivenomous serum-therapeutics, by A. Calmette; translated by Ernest E. Austen. New York, William Wood & company, 1908. url p. 308, p. 397.
- Vertebrata craniata (First fascile: cyclostomes and fishes). London: Adam and Charles Black, 1909. url p. 378, p. 516.
- Wild life of the world: a descriptive survey of the geographical distribution of animals / London; F. Warne and co., 1916. url p. 348, p. 450, p. 471.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Abteilung für Anatomie und Ontogenie der Tiere Jena [Germany]:G. Fischer, c -1993. url p. 111, p. 146, p. 290, p. 380, p. 400, p. 82.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Jena [Germany]: G. Fischer, 1910-1993. url p. 386.
- Zoölogical bulletin. Boston, Ginn & Co. url p. 95.
- Zoölogical science, or, Nature in living forms adapted to elucidate the chart of the animal kingdom / by A.M. Redfield, and designed for the higher seminaries, common schools, libraries, and the family circle New York: E.B. & E.C. Kellogg, 1858 url p. 568, p. 568.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 30, 2012.
- Freyhof, J. & Kottelat, M. 2008. Silurus glanis. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 04February2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- Institute of Nature Conservation PAS, National System of Proetcted Areas
- Museum national d'histoire naturelle, Ichtyologie
- NLBIF, Limnodata
- Senckenberg, Collection Pisces
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Fishes
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Swedish Board of Fisheries
- - National Register of Survey testfishing
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Swedish Board of Fisheries
- - Swedish Electrofishing Registry
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Biological Records Centre - Database for the Atlas of Freshwater Fishes
- University of Navarra, Museum of Zoology, Museum of Zoology, University of Navarra
- inatura - Erlebnis Naturschau Dornbirn, inatura - Erlebnis Naturschau Dornbirn
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 3865053
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Fis-29527
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- IUCN ID: 242353
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 1026197
- Standard Deviation = 113.420 based on 468 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- Freyhof, J. & Kottelat, M. 2008. Silurus glanis. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 04 February 2012. [back]