Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Common Names in French:
Colibri à queue large
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Spanish:
Zumbador cola ancha
Adult Female: Neck: Throat : bronze dots on buff Body: Sides: rufous Underparts: buff Upperparts: green Tail: white-tipped outer feathers with rufous base.Adult Male: Bill: black Curvature: straight Length : long Body: Gorget : rose-red Sides: green Underparts: gray, and whitish gray near throat Upperparts: iridescent green.
About 4 to 4.5 inches long, with a wingspan of 5 to 5 inches. Adults weigh about 0.1 ounces .
Vegetation: tropical lowland evergreen forest, pine-oak forests, tropical lowland evergreen forest, pine forests, arid lowland scrubs, second-growth scrub • Minimum Elevation: 1,900 meters • Maximum Elevation: 3,750 meters • Foraging Strata: Canopy • Center of Abundance: Middle montane: mountains, middle range, 1,600-2,600 m. • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Medium
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 3,632 meters (0 to 11,916 feet).
List of Habitats
- 1 Forest
- 1.4 Forest - Temperate
- 1.5 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 1.9 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Montane
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.7 Shrubland - Subtropical/Tropical High Altitude
- 4 Grassland
- 4.7 Grassland - Subtropical/Tropical High Altitude
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.6 Artificial/Terrestrial - Subtropical/Tropical Heavily Degraded Former Forest [more info]
Exclusively: Nectar, Insects.
- Breeding Habitat : Woodland
- Clutch Size: 2
- Length of Incubation : 14-17 days
- Days to Fledge : 21-26
- Number of Broods: 1, possibly 2
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Superorder: Cypselomorphae () - Huxley, 1867
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Selasphorus platycercus (Swainson, 1827) • Selasphorus platycercus platycercus (Swainson
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 06-Dec-2005
Members of the genus Selasphorus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 10 species and subspecies in this genus:
S. ardens (Glow-Throated Hummingbird) · S. flammula (Rose-Throated Hummingbird) · S. flammula flammula (Rose-Throated Hummingbird) · S. platycercus (Broad-Tailed Hummingbird) · S. platycercus platycercus (Broad-Tailed Hummingbird) · S. rufus (Red-Backed Hummingbird) · S. sasin (Allen's Hummingbird) · S. sasin sasin (Allen's Hummingbird) · S. sasin sedentarius (Allen's Hummingbird) · S. scintilla (Scintillant Hummingbird)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 364.
- A check list of North American birds. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url p. 160, p. 74.
- A distributional list of the birds of Montana, with notes on the migration and nesting of the better known species, by Aretas A. Saunders. Berkeley, Calif., The Club, 1921. url p. 192, p. 82.
- A history of North American birds / by S. F. Baird, T. M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Boston: Little, Brown, 1905. url p. 446, p. 458, p. 459, p. 462.
- A history of North American birds land birds / by S. F. Baird, T.M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Boston: Little, Brown, 1874. url p. 458, p. 462, p. 462.
- A history of North American birds, by S.F. Baird, T.M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Land birds, illustrated by 64 chromo-lithographic plates and 593 woodcuts. Boston, Little, Brown, 1875. url p. 458, p. 462.
- A history of the birds of Colorado, London, Witherby & Co., 1912. url , , .
- A manual of North American birds. By Robert Ridgway. Illustrated by 464 outline drawings of the generic characters. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott company, 1896. url p. 598.
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Co., 1900. url p. 304, p. 598.
- A monograph of the Trochilidae, or family of humming-birds. Supplement 1887 London: Henry Sothern & Co., 1887 [i.e. 1880-1887] url p. .
- A monograph of the Trochilidæ, or family of humming-birds / 3 1861 London: Printed by Taylor and Francis; 1861 [i.e. 1849-1861] url p. , p. cxxv, p. cxxvi, p. cxxvii, p. lxv.
- A preliminary review of the birds of Nebraska, with synopses, Omaha, 1904 url , .
- An introduction to the Trochilidae: or family of humming-birds / London: Printed by Taylor and Francis, 1861. url p. 206, p. 208, p. 211, p. 6, p. 89.
- Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York. New-York: 1824-1876. url p. 8.
- Annual report of the Nebraska State Horticultural Society. Lincoln, Neb.: The Society. url p. 113.
- Biologia centrali-americana: Aves / [London: R.H. Porter], 1879-1904. url , , , .
- Birds / by A.H. Evans. London: Macmillan, 1899 (1909 printing). url p. 627.
- Birds / by Spencer Fullerton Baird; with the co-operation of John Cassin and George N. Lawrence. Washington, D.C., 1858. url p. 135, p. 922, p. 926.
- Birds and nature. Chicago, Ill.: A.W. Mumford, Publisher, 1900-1907. url p. 62, p. 62, p. 63, p. 63.
- Birds in Kansas / Max C. Thompson & Charles Ely. 1 Lawrence, Kan.: University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History: c1989- url p. 363, p. 403, p. xiv.
- Birds of America; editor-in-chief, T. Gilbert Pearson; consulting editor, John Burroughs; artists, R.I. Brasher, R. Bruce Horsfall [and] Henry Thurston. New York, The University Society, 1923. url p. 185.
- Birds of California; an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies, Chicago, A. C. McClurg, 1904. url .
- Birds of Oregon, by Ira N. Gabrielson. .. and Stanley G. Jewett. .. Corvallis, Or., Pub. by Oregon State College through the O.S.C. Cooperative Association[c1940] url .
- Birds of the Huachuca mountains, Arizona, by Harry S. Swarth. Los Angeles, Cal.: The Club, 1904. url p. 18.
- Birds of the Northwest: a hand-book of the ornithology of the region drained by the Missouri River and its tributaries / by Elliott Coues. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1874. url p. 271.
- Birds of the Papago Saguaro National Monument and the neighboring region, Arizona, by H. S. Swarth. Contribution from the Museum of Vertebrate Zoology of the University of California. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1920. url p. 57, p. 62.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 32, p. 341, p. 387, p. 433, p. 54, p. 596, p. 597, p. 599, p. 601, p. 602, p. 69.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 383, p. 39.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 167, p. 513.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute. url p. 185, p. 21, p. 22, p. 30, p. 34.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 3 1872 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 146, p. 151, p. 158, p. 163, p. 169, p. 180.
- Bulletin of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, [1876-1883] url p. 196, p. 95, p. 95.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 237, p. 671, p. 687.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 21, p. 22, p. 34, p. 38.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 126.
- Catalogue of a collection of American birds / belonging to Philip Lutley Sclater. London: N. Trubner and Co., 1862. url p. 298.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. including all species and subspecies known to occur in North America, Mexico, Central America, South America, the West Indies, and islands of the Caribbean Sea, the Galapagos Archipelago, and other is by Charles E. Hellmayr and Boardman Conover. 13 1918 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1918. url p. 300.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 396, p. 398.
- Check-list of North American birds, prepared by a committee of the American Ornithologists' Union. New York, American Ornithologists' Union, 1910. url p. 203, p. 203.
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 302, p. 681.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 359, p. 804.
- Checklist of CITES Species CITES, WCMC url p. 114, p. 130, p. 218, p. 242.
- Checklist of CITES Species: a reference to the appendices to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora CITES url p. 101, p. 80.
- Checklist of birds listed in the CITES appendices and in EC Regulation 338/97 JNCC url p. 193.
- Color key to North American birds, with bibliographical appendix, by Frank M. Chapman. .. with upwards of 800 drawings, by Chester A. Reed, B.S. New York, D. Appleton & Company, 1912. url p. 275, p. 275.
- Color key to North American birds; with bibliographical appendix. New York, D. Appleton, 1912. url .
- Ethnozoology of the Tewa Indians, by Junius Henderson and John Peabody Harrington. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1914. url p. 39, p. 39, p. 75, p. 75.
- Experimental pollination; an outline of the ecology of flowers and insects, by Frederic E. Clements and Frances L. Long. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1923. url p. 110, p. 254, p. 256, p. 258, p. 259, p. 271, p. 63, p. 64, p. 79.
- Familiar studies of wild birds: their haunts and habits / F.N. Whitman. Boston: R.G. Badger, c1920. url p. 36.
- Field and forest. [Washington: Columbia Press, 1875-1878]. url p. 209.
- Field book of birds of the southwestern United States, by sqther E. Wyman. .. and Elizabeth F. Burnell. .. Boston, Houghton Mifflin Company, 1925. url p. 138.
- Field notes on amphibians, reptiles and birds of northern Humboldt County, Nevada, with a discussion of some of the faunal features of the region, Berkeley, University of California Press, 1912. url , , .
- Field ornithology comprising a manual of instruction for procuring, preparing and preserving birds and a check list of North American birds / by Elliott Coues. Boston: Estes & Lauriat, 1874. url .
- Field ornithology. Comprising a manual of instruction for procuring, preparing and preserving birds, and a check list of North American birds Salem [Mass.]Naturalists' Agency, 1874 url p. 57.
- "Forest and Stream" bird notes. An index and summary of all the ornithological matter contained in "Forest and Stream." Vols. I-XII. New York, Forest and Stream Publishing Co., 1881. url .
- "Forest and stream" bird notes. An index and summary of all the ornithological matter contained in "Forest and Stream." Vols. I-XII. Compiled by H.B. Bailey. New York, Forest and Stream, 1881. url p. 134.
- Genera of humming birds: being also a complete monograph of these birds / by Adolphe Boucard. London: [A. Boucard?], 1893-1895 [i.e. 1895] url p. 30, p. 9.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1976 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 117, p. 158, p. 267, p. 78.
- Guide to taxidermy, by Chas. K. Reed and Chester A. Reed. Illustrated by drawings and photographs of mounted specimens by the authors and Mr. N. F. Stone. Worcester, Mass., C.K. Reed, 1914. url p. 269.
- Handbook of birds of the western United States: including the Great Plains, Great Basin, Pacific Slope, and lower Rio Grande Valley / by Florence Merriam Bailey. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1915, c1902. url p. 238, p. 512.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 129, p. 564.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and Lower California Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1896. url , p. 460.
- Land birds of the Pacific district / by Lyman Belding. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, 1890. url p. 202.
- Land birds of the Pacific district, San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences, 1890. url .
- Life histories of North American birds, from the parrots to the grackles with special reference to their breeding habits and eggs / by Charles Bendire. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1895. url .
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 117, p. 251, p. 274.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 586, p. 586, p. 587, p. 587.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds: with a chapter on ornithological and oölogical collecting (the preparation of skins, nests and eggs for the cabinet). Toronto: Musson url p. 293.
- Nomenclature of North American birds chiefly contained in the United States National Museum. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1881. url .
- North American birds eggs. New York: Dover Pub, . url p. 209.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 254, p. 40, p. 44, p. 48, p. 51, p. 58, p. 93.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 202.
- Ornithologist and oo?logist Pawtucket, R.I. url p. 127.
- Ornithology. edited by S.F. Baird, from the manuscript and notes of J.G. Cooper. [Cambridge, Mass., University press] pub. by authority of the Legislature [of California]1870. url p. 357.
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 488.
- Our living world; an artistic edition of the Rev. J. G. Wood's Natural history of animate creation. New York: S. Hess,  url p. 654.
- Our native birds of song and beauty, being a complete history of all the songbirds, flycatchers, hummingbirds, swifts, goatsuckers, woodpeckers, kingfishers, trogons, cuckoos, and parrots, of North America. Milwaukee, G. Brumder, 1893-96. url , .
- P.D. Skaar's Montana bird distribution / revised by the Montana Bird Distribution Committee. [Helena, MT]:Montana Natural Heritage Program, 1996 url p. 64.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 18, p. 18, p. 184, p. 192, p. 26, p. 38, p. 41, p. 41, p. 82, p. 87.
- Part I. Palæontology. By F. B. Meek. Part II. Palæontology. By James Hall and R. P. Whitfield. Part III. Ornithology. By Robert Ridgway... Washington, Govt. print. off., 1877. url p. 325, p. 363, p. 376, p. 385, p. 560.
- Potential wildlife-highway interactions at select mile-markers along Montana Department of Transportation routes an ArcView GIS analysis / Bozeman, Mont.: Fish and Wildlife Management Program, Montana State University, 2001 url .
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 106.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 293, p. 756, p. 758, p. 760, p. 762, p. 763, p. 90.
- Proceedings of the Nebraska Ornithologists' Union. Lincoln, [1900-15] url , p. 16.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 187, p. 542, p. 588, p. 598, p. 610, p. 687.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 1090, p. 209, p. 288, p. 297, p. 586, p. 587.
- Publication. Field Museum of Natural History. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1910-1943. url .
- Random notes on natural history. Providence, R. I.: Southwick & Jencks, [1884-1886] url p. 12.
- Report number I, the natural resources survey of the Conservation and Natural Resources Commission of New Mexico. Santa Fe, N.M.: New Mexican Printing Co., 1911. url p. 32.
- Report of the Geological Exploration of the Fortieth Parallel, made by order of the Secretary of War according to acts of Congress of March 2, 1867, and March 3, 1869 / Washington: Government Printing Office, 1870-1880. url p. 325, p. 360, p. 361, p. 376, p. 383, p. 385, p. 451, p. 559, p. 560, p. 563.
- Report of the geological exploration of the fortieth parallel / Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1870-80 url p. 361, p. 362, p. 385, p. 389, p. 559, p. 560.
- Report upon United States Geographical Surveys West of the One Hundredth Meridian / Washington [D.C.]: G.P.O., 1875-1889. url p. 377, p. 502, p. 507.
- Report upon ornithological specimens collected in the years 1871, 1872, and 1873 / U. S. Army, Engineer Dept., Geographical and Geological Explorations and Surveys West of the One hundredth Meridian; [by H.C. Yarrow and H.W. Henshaw]. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1874. url p. 47, p. 88.
- Report upon the ornithological collections made in portions of Nevade, Utah, California, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona, during the years 1871, 1872, 1873, and 1874, by H.W. Henshaw. Washington, D.C., 1875 url p. 377, p. 502, p. 507.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Washington, A. O. P. Nicholson, printer [etc.]1855-60. url , .
- Smithsonian contributions to knowledge. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1848-1916. url , , p. 109, p. 210.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 22 1882 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 187, p. 3, p. 314, p. 394, p. 40, p. 472, p. 8.
- Special bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1892- url , p. 210.
- Supplement to the code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds. adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; prepared by a Committee of the Union. New York: The Union, 1889-1920. url p. 62.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 21.
- The American oologists' exchange price list of North American birds' eggs, 1922 / compiled by a committee of twenty-five prominent American oologists. Lacon, Ill.: R. Magoon Barnes, 1922. url p. 64.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 109, p. 134, p. 17, p. 184, p. 234, p. 282, p. 302, p. 308, p. 312, p. 313, p. 313, p. 315, p. 318, p. 326, p. 330, p. 354, p. 357, p. 400, p. 413, p. 413, p. 432, p. 454, p. 510, p. 522, p. 535, p. 543, p. 62, p. 669, p. 68, p. 75, p. 78, p. 79, p. 91, p. 91.
- The Cambridge natural history / edited by S. F. Harmer and A. E. Shipley. London: Macmillan and Co.; 1895-1909. url p. 627.
- The Cambridge natural history, London, Macmillan and Co., Limited;1895-1909 url , .
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited;1895-1909 url p. 438.
- The Canadian bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred north American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Toronto: Musson Book Co., c1914. url p. 276.
- The Coues check list of North American birds [Elliott Coues]. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url , .
- The Great Basin naturalist. 37 1977 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 249, p. 271, p. 481, p. 492, p. 494, p. 519, p. 603, p. 650, p. 652.
- The University of Colorado studies. Boulder, University of Colorado. url p. 137, p. 200, p. 232, p. 235.
- The Warbler. Floral Park: Mayflower Pub. Co., [1903-1913] url p. 85.
- The Wilson bulletin. Columbus, Ohio: Wilson Ornithological Society, 1894- url p. 11, p. 206.
- The bird book, illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs, Worcester, Mass., C. K. Reed, 1914. url .
- The bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds; also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1915. url p. 276.
- The birds of Colorado / Fort Collins, Colo.: State Agricultural College, Agricultural Experiment Station, 1897. url , , , .
- The birds of El Paso County, Colorado / Colorado Springs: Published by the authority of the Board of Trustees of Colorado College, 1914 url , .
- The birds of North America: one hundred and nineteen artistic colored plates representing the different species and varieties drawn and colored from nature: including a copious text giving a popular account of their habits and 1903 New York: Published under the auspices of the Natural Science Association of America, 1903. url p. 147.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , , , , , .
- The birds of North and middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , p. 596, p. 597, p. 599, p. 601, p. 602.
- The birds of Texas; an annotated check-list, by John K. Strecker, Jr.. .. Waco, Tex., The University, 1912. url p. 35.
- The birds of Wyoming / By Wilbur C. Knight. Laramie, Wyo.: Wyoming Experiment Station, 1902. url p. 209.
- The birds of Wyoming, with an explanation of recent changes in their distribution; economic aspect also considered. By B. H. Grave and Ernest P. Walker. [Laramie]University of Wyoming, 1913. url p. 50.
- The birds of Wyoming. [Laramie, Wyoming Experiment Station]1902. url .
- The condor. Santa Clara, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, [1900- url p. 110, p. 148, p. 154, p. 208, p. 21.
- The descent of man, and selection in relation to sex, New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1896. url .
- The descent of man: and selection in relation to sex / New York: P. F. Collier, 1902. url .
- The humming birds / by Robert Ridgway. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1892. url p. 292, p. 312, p. 357.
- The humming birds. By Robert Ridgway. url p. 274, p. 275, p. 283, p. 292, p. 312, p. 340, p. 357.
- The oologists' hand-book: 1885 catalogue of American birds' eggs, and oological supplies, with prices at which they may be obtained of / Frank H. Lattin. Rochester (N.Y.): John P. Smith, Printer, 1885. url p. 31.
- Torrey, J. Report on the United States and Mexican boundary survey: made under the direction of the secretary of the Interior /by William H. Emory, major First Cavalry, and United States commissioner. 2(2) 1859 Washington: C. Wendell, printer, 1857-59. url .
- Trochilidae, bearbeitet von Ernst Hartert. Mit 34 abbildungen im texte. Berlin, R. Friedländer und sohn, 1900. url p. 204.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 335, p. 336, p. 341, p. 444.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 11 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 693, p. 696.
- Wild animals of Glacier National Park. The mammals, Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1918. url .
- Wonders of the bird world / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. .. With illustrations by A.T. Elwes. New YorkFrederick A. Stokes company[pref.1898] url p. 100, p. 224, p. 395.
- Wonders of the bird world, New York, Frederick A. Stokes company,  url .
- Wonders of the bird world, by Bowdler Sharpe...With illustrations by A. T. Elwes. New York: Frederick A. Stokes company,  url p. 100, p. 395.
- World Checklist of Threatened Birds Joint Nature Conservation Committee url p. 168.
- Wyoming birds and their value to agriculture, Laramie, Wyoming, 1916. url .
- Zoology of Colorado, by Theodore D.A. Cockerell. .. Boulder, Col., University of Colorado, 1927. url p. 78.
- BirdLife International 2004. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 18, 2008.
- BirdLife International 2004. Selasphorus platycercus. In: IUCN 2006. 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. and lt;www.iucnredlist.org and gt;. Downloaded on 21 October 2006.
- BirdLife International 2009. Selasphorus platycercus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 04February2012.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 and ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 11, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 7 providers.
- Hines, J. E., Gregory Gough, J. R. Sauer, et al. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- Parker III, T.A., D.F. Stotz, and J.W. Fitzpatrick, "Ecological and Distributional Databases for Neotropical Birds," in Neotropical Birds: Ecology and Conservation, by D.F. Stotz, T.A. Parker III, J.W. Fitzpatrick, and D.K. Moskovits (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1996). ISBN 0-226-64676-9.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- Sauer, J. R., J. E. Hines, and J. Fallon. 2005. The North American Breeding Bird Survey, Results and Analysis 1966 - 2004. Version 2005.2. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
- Sauer, J. R., S. Schwartz, and B. Hoover. 1996. The Christmas Bird Count Home Page. Version 95.1. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 11, 2008:
- Avian Knowledge Network: eBird
- Avian Knowledge Network: Great Backyard Bird Count
- Avian Knowledge Network: Project FeederWatch
- Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology: Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History: Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM: CNAV/Coleccion Nacional de Aves
- University of Colorado Museum: Zoological specimens
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ): Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 10296
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-178038
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2482044
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 178038
- IUCN ID: 241763
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNUC51010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 178144