Family : Turbots; Occurs from shore to 45 m depth, occasionally in deeper water.
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in English:
brill, sand dab, Spotted flounder, Window-Tailed Sea-Poacher, windowpane, Windowpane flounder
Common Names in French:
Turbot, turbot de sable
Common Names in Mandarin Chinese:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Common Names in Swedish:
Typically found in water with a depth of 0 to -5,306 meters (0 to -17,408 feet).
Biome: Marine .
- Order: Pleuronectiformes ()
- Phylum: Chordata () - Chordates
Pleuronectes aquosus • Pleuronectes aquosus Mitchill • Scophthalmus aquosus
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: Data last modified by FishBase 31-Aug-1994
Members of the genus Scophthalmus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 4 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A checklist of Canadian Atlantic fishes with keys for identification / Toronto, Royal Ontario Museum, 1965 url , p. 17, p. 85.
- A list of common and scientific names of fishes from the United States and Canada. Report presented at the eighty-ninth annual meeting, Clearwater, Fla., Sept. 16-18, 1959. Ann Arbor, Mich., 1960. url p. 47.
- A systematic monograph of the flatfishes (Heterosomata) / By J.R. Norman, &c. London, 1934. url p. 270, p. 271.
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url , .
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 95.
- Current bibliography for fisheries science. Rome, Biology Branch, Fisheries Division, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. url p. 59.
- Davids Island phase I: a short-term ecological survey of western Long Island Sound / by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service, Middle Atlantic Coastal Fisheries Center, Ecosystems Investigations, Sandy Hook Laboratory. Highlands, N.J.: The Laboratory,  url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , p. 13.
- Dean bibliography of fishes. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1971-1973. url p. 184, p. 233, p. 291, p. 320, p. 323, p. 573, p. 618, p. 76.
- Distribution and abundance of fishes and invertebrates in Mid- Atlantic estuaries. Silver Spring, Md.: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Ocean Service, 1994- url p. 277, p. 4, p. 67.
- Distribution and abundance trends of 22 selected species in the Middle Atlantic Bight from bottom trawl surveys during 1967-1979: final report to the U.S. Mineral[s] Management Service / Thomas R. Azarovitz. .. [et al.]. Woods Hole, Mass.: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service, Northeast Fisheries Center,  url .
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 71.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url , , , , , , p. 107, p. 110, p. 174, p. 179, p. 347, p. 38, p. 391, p. 418, p. 424, p. 429, p. 431, p. 433, p. 434, p. 437, p. 438, p. 439, p. 455, p. 457, p. 509, p. 515, p. 518, p. 523, p. 645, p. 675, p. 677, p. 679, p. 680, p. 681, p. 683, p. 685, p. 687, p. 688, p. 689, p. 691, p. 692, p. 693, p. 738, p. 768, p. 774, p. 782.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 193, p. 22.
- Fishes occurring in the fresh waters of insular Newfoundland / Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Fisheries, 1964. url p. 102, p. 103, p. 12, p. 15.
- Fishes of the Gulf of Maine, by Henry B. Bigelow and William C. Schroeder. Washington, United States Government Printing Office, 1953. url .
- Fishes of the Pamlico-Albemarle Peninsula, N.C.: area utilization and potential impacts / Morehead City, N.C.: N.C. Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, Division of Marine Fisheries,  url p. 45.
- Monitoring the marine environment of Long Island Sound at Millstone Nuclear Power Station, Waterford, Connecticut: three operational studies, 1986-1987 / [prepared by the Environmental Laboratory staff of Northeast Utilities Service Company]. Waterford, Connecticut: Northeast Utilities,  url p. 265, p. 307.
- NOAA technical report NMFS SSRF. Seattle, Wash.: National Marine Fisheries Service; url , , , p. 11, p. 16, p. 2, p. 25, p. 4, p. 8.
- National overview and evolution of NOAA's Estuarine Living Marine Resources (ELMR) Program / David M. Nelson and Mark E. Monaco. Silver Spring. Md.: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Ocean Service, National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science, Center for Coastal Monitoring and Assessment, 2000. url p. 17, p. 23, p. 7.
- New Haven Harbor ecological studies summary report, 1970-1977 / prepared for the United Illuminating Company, New Haven, Connecticut by Normandeau Associates, inc., Bedford, New Hampshire; edited by Andrew J. McCusker, Weldon S. Bosworth. Bedford, N.H.: Normandeau, 1979. url p. 13, p. 51, p. 52.
- Ocean dumping in the New York Bight: an assessment of environmental studies / by George Pararas-Carayannis. Fort Belvoir, Va.: Available from NTIS, 1973. url p. 90.
- Our living oceans: the first annual report on the status of U.S. living marine resources. [Washington, D.C.]: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, 1991. url p. 116.
- Oxygen depletion and associated benthic mortalities in New York Bight, 1976 / editors, R. Lawrence Swanson, Carl J. Sindermann. Rockville, Md.: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration; 1979. url p. 300, p. 303, p. 309, p. 310.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url p. 13, p. 14, p. 30, p. 60.
- Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary final environmental impact statement/management plan / Sanctuaries and Reserves Division. Washington, D.C.: The Division,  url p. 39.
- Studies of estuarine dependence of Atlantic coastal fishes, by John Clark [and others] Washington, U.S. Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife; [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.]1969. url p. 59.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 26.
- The Argo Merchant oil spill: a preliminary scientific report / edited by Peter L. Grose and James S. Mattson. Boulder, Colo.: for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1977. url p. 112.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 275, p. 276, p. 437, p. 501.
- American Fisheries Society. Common and Scientific Names of Fishes from the United states, Canada, and Mexico Sixth Edition. Special Publication 29.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
- Compagno, Leonard J.V. (from FishBase).
- FishBase. Release date: January 5, 2010
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed November 17, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from provider.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 01, 2008:
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Fish Collection
- Cornell University Museum of Vertebrates: Fish Collection
- FishBase: FishBase DiGIR Provider - Philippine Server
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: A Biological Survey of the Waters of Woods Hole and Vacinity
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Atlantic Reference Centre (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Bay of Fundy Species List (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Canadian Museum of Nature - Fish Collection (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: DFO Maritimes Research Vessel Trawl Surveys Fish Observations (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: ECNASAP - East Coast North America Strategic Assessment (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Electronic Atlas of Ichthyoplankton on the Scotian Shelf of North America (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Gulf of Maine Bottom Trawl Survey Data (NEFSC,NMFS,NOAA)(USOBIS)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: NODC WOD01 Plankton Database
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Nova Scotia Museum of Natural History - Marine Birds, Mammals, and Fishes (OBIS Canada)
- Museum national d'histoire naturelle: Ichtyologie
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University: MCZ Fish Collection
- University of Kansas Biodiversity Research Center: Fish Collection
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 138286
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Fis-23249
- Fishbase Species ID: 530
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 14173424
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 172746
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: AFCTA05010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 124381