Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Eurasian red squirrel, red squirrel
Common Names in French:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 1,808 meters (0 to 5,932 feet).
It is most abundant in large tracts of coniferous
occurs in deciduous woods
, mixed forest, parks, gardens, and small
stands of conifers. It is found in lowland to subalpine
is mainly vegetarian, consisting of seeds, acorns
, and sapwood, although it occasionally takes animal prey
birds and eggs
). They are an important species for the reforestation
List of Habitats :
- 1 Forest
- 1.1 Forest - Boreal
- 1.4 Forest - Temperate
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.4 Artificial/Terrestrial - Rural Gardens [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Rowe, 1988) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Wible et al., 1995) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- McKenna, 1975
- McKenna, 1975
- McKenna, 1975
- (McKenna, 1975) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Parker & Haswell, 1897) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Owen, 1837) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Mckenna, 1975) M.c. Mckenna & S.k. Bell, 1997
- (McKenna, 1975) McKenna, in Stucky & McKenna, in Benton, ed., 1993
- (Szalay & McKenna, 1971) McKenna, 1975
- (Weber, 1904) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Bowdich, 1821
- Brandt, 1855
- Infraorder: Sciurida () - (Carus, 1868) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Suborder: Sciuromorpha () - Brandt, 1855
- Order: Rodentia () - Bowdich, 1821 - Rodents
- Mirorder: Simplicidentata () - (Weber, 1904) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Grandorder: Anagalida () - (Szalay & McKenna, 1971) McKenna, 1975
- Superorder: Preptotheria () - (McKenna, 1975) McKenna, in Stucky & McKenna, in Benton, ed., 1993
- Magnorder: Epitheria () - (Mckenna, 1975) M.c. Mckenna & S.k. Bell, 1997
- Cohort: Placentalia () - (Owen, 1837) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Supercohort: Theria () - (Parker & Haswell, 1897) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Infralegion: Tribosphenida () - (McKenna, 1975) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Sublegion: Zatheria () - McKenna, 1975
- Legion: Cladotheria () - McKenna, 1975
- Superlegion: Trechnotheria () - McKenna, 1975
- Infraclass: Holotheria () - (Wible et al., 1995) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Subclass: Theriiformes () - (Rowe, 1988) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Class: Mammalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 08-Jun-2004
There is a well defined subspecies meridionalis according to morphology and genetics and this may even be a valid species. This subspecies is restricted to Calabria (southwestern Italy) and if further taxonomic work confirms this as a full species it is likely to merit listing in a threatened category (G. Amori pers. comm. 2007). .
Members of the genus Sciurus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 41 species and subspecies in this genus:
S. aberti (Tassle-Eared Squirrel) · S. aberti kaibabensis (Kaibab Squirrel) · S. aberti mimus (Abert's Squirrel) · S. aberti subsp. aberti (Abert's Squirrel) · S. aestuans (Guianan Squirrel) · S. alleni (Allen's Squirrel) · S. anomalus (Caucasian Squirrel) · S. arizonensis (Arizona Gray Squirrel) · S. arizonensis arizonensis (Arizona Gray Squirrel) · S. aureogaster (Bushy-Tailed Olingo) · S. aureogaster aureogaster (Mexican Gray Squirrel) · S. carolinensis (Eastern Grey Squirrel) · S. colliaei (Collie's Squirrel) · S. deppei (Deppe's Squirrel) · S. flammifer (Venezuelan Squirrel) · S. gilvigularis (Yellow-Throated Squirrel) · S. granatensis (Red-Tailed Squirrel) · S. griseus (Western Gray Squirrel) · S. griseus griseus (Western Gray Squirrel) · S. ignitus (Bolivian Squirrel) · S. igniventris (Northern Amazon Red Squirrel) · S. lis (Japanese Squirrel) · S. nayaritensis (Mexican Fox Squirrel) · S. nayaritensis chiricahuae (Chiricahua Squirrel) · S. niger (Bryant's Fox Squirrel) · S. niger avicennia (Big Cypress Fox Squirrel) · S. niger cinereus (Bryant's Fox Squirrel) · S. niger niger (Fox Squirrel) · S. niger shermani (Sherman's Fox Squirrel) · S. niger vulpinus (Eastern Fox Squirrel) · S. oculatus (Peters's Squirrel) · S. pucheranii (Colombian Squirrel) · S. pyrrhinus (Jun?n Red Squirrel) · S. richmondi (Richmond's Squirrel) · S. sanborni (Sanborn's Squirrel) · S. spadiceus (Southern Amazon Red Squirrel) · S. stramineus (Guayaquil Squirrel) · S. variegatoides (Variegated Squirrel) · S. vulgaris (Eurasian Red Squirrel) · S. vulgaris russus (Eurasian Red Squirrel) · S. yucatanensis (Yucatan Squirrel)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of the collection of mammals in the Field Columbian Museum. 1907 8 Chicago: Field Columbian Museum, 1907. url p. 113, p. 115, p. 651.
- A catalogue of the mammalia in the Museum of the Hon. East-India Company. London, Printed by J. & H. Cox, 1851. url p. 158.
- A check list of mammals of the North American continent, the West Indies and the neighboring seas. Chicago, 1905. url p. 59, p. 59, p. 688.
- A course on zoology: designed for secondary education. By C. de Montmahon [!]. .. and H. Beauregard. .. Tr. and adapted for American schools by Wm. H. Greene, M.D. Philadelphia, J.B. Lippincott Company, 1893 [c1892] url p. 222.
- A geographical history of mammals. By R. Lydekker. .. Cambridge, The University press, 1896. url .
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 535.
- A guide to the quadrupeds and reptiles of Europe: with descriptions of all the species / compiled from the latest writers by Lord Clermont. London: J. Van Voorst, 1859. url p. 116.
- A hand-book to the British mammalia. London, Edward Lloyd, 1896. url , , , p. 167, p. 167, p. 167, p. 337, p. 337, p. 337, p. 5, p. 5.
- A handbook of the vertebrate fauna of Yorkshire: being a catalogue of British mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fishes / by Wm. Eagle Clarke, and Wm. Denison Roebuck. London: Reeve, 1881. url p. 12, p. 12.
- A handbook to the vertebrate fauna of north Wales. London, Witherby & Co., 1919. url p. 14.
- A history of British mammals / London: Gurney and Jackson, 1910-. url , , , , , , .
- A history of British mammals, by Gerald E. H. Barrett-Hamilton. .. With twenty-seven full-page plates in colour, fifty-four in black and white, and upwards of two hundred and fifty smaller illustrations, drawn by Edward A. Wilson London: Gurney and Jackson, 1910-1921. url , p. 685, p. 688, p. 700.
- A history of British quadrupeds, including the Cetacea. London, J. Van Voorst, 1874. url , .
- A history of British quadrupeds: including the cetacea / by Thomas Bell. London: Van Voorst, 1874. url .
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url p. 275.
- A history of the earth and animated nature / with copious notes, to which is subjoined an appendix by Thomas Brown. Glasgow: A. Fullarton, 1840. url p. 498.
- A manual of forestry. LondonBradbury, Agnew1906-25 url p. 114.
- A manual of zoology for the use of students: with a general introd. on the principles of zoology / by Henry Alleyne Nicholson. London: William Blackwood 8 Sons, 1887. url p. 545.
- A monograph of Christmas Island (Indian Ocean): physical features and geology by Charles W. Andrews, with descriptions of the fauna and flora by numerous contributors. London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1900. url p. 35.
- A natural history of British and foreign quadrupeds; containing many modern discoveries, original observations, and numerous ancedotes. By James H. Fennell. With two hundred wood cuts. .. London, J. Thomas, 1841. url p. 303.
- A spring and summer in Lapland / by "an old bushman." London: Groombridge, 1871. url p. 230.
- A student's text-book of zoology, by Adam Sedgwick. .. London, Macmillan Co., 1898-1909. url p. 632.
- A study of the diurnal squirrels, Sciurinae, of the Indian and Indochinese subregions [by] Joseph Curtis Moore and George H. H. Tate. 48 1965 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1965. url p. 201.
- A survey and record of Woolwich and West Kent containing descriptions and records, brought up-to-date, of geology, botany, zoology, archaeology and industries of the district, with a brief photographic commentary, in commemoration of the 12th Ann General editors, C.H. Grinling, T.A. Ingram [and] B.C. Polkinghorne. Woolwich: Labour Representation Print. Co., 1909. url p. 235.
- A text-book of bacteriology / Illustrated by helio type and chromo-lithographic plates and two hundred engravings New York: Wm. Wood, 1896 url p. 523.
- A text-book of bacteriology, by George M. Sternberg. Illustrated by heliotype and chromo-lithographic plates, and two hundred engravings New York, Wood, 1901 url p. 565.
- A text-book of bacteriology. New York, W. Wood and company, 1901. url .
- A tour in Sutherlandshire, with extracts from the fieldbooks of a sportsman and naturalist. By Charles St. John... With woodcuts. London: J. Murray, 1849. url p. 326.
- A tour in Sutherlandshire: with extracts from the field-books of a sportsman and naturalist / with an Appendix on the fauna of Sutherland by J.A. Harvie-Brown and T.E. Buckley. Edinburgh, Douglas, 1884. url p. 326.
- A zoological pocket-book: or, Synopsis of animal classification. Comprising definitions of the Phyla, classes, and orders, with explanatory remarks and tables. Tr. from the 3d German ed. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. London, C. Griffin, 1890. url p. 207.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 197, p. 48.
- Advances in the study of mammalian behavior / edited by John F. Eisenberg and Devra G. Kleiman. [Stillwater, Okla.]: American Society of Mammalogists; 1983. url p. 60.
- Agricultural zoology, London, Chapman & Hall, Ld., 1894. url .
- An account of British flies (Diptera). By Fred. V. Theobald. London: E. Stock, 1892. url p. 32, p. 32.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url , p. 203, p. 346, p. 346, p. 9, p. 9.
- Anatomical and zoological researches: comprising an account of the zoological results of the two expeditions to western Yunnan in 1868 and 1875; and a monograph of the two cetacean genera, Platanista and Orcella / London: B. Quaritch, 1878. url .
- Anatomischer Anzeiger. Jena: G. Fischer, 1886- url p. 125, p. 143, p. 155, p. 156, p. 158, p. 246, p. 262, p. 268, p. 269, p. 27, p. 332, p. 446, p. 45, p. 518, p. 667, p. 698, p. 798.
- Animal Ecology. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall, 1961. url p. 382.
- Animal life of the British Isles. A pocket guide to the mammals, reptiles and batrachians of wayside and woodland. London, Frederick Warne, 1921. url p. 180.
- Annals of natural history. London, R. and J.E. Taylor, url p. 185, p. 185, p. 185, p. 281, p. 281, p. 281, p. 386, p. 386, p. 386.
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York, New York Academy of Sciences. url , p. 312, p. 314.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 121, p. 143, p. 405.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: The Society, 1897- url p. 71, p. 71.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 85, p. 86.
- Aristotle's History of animals. In ten books. London, Bell, 1887. url p. 310.
- Aus dem reiche der pelze. bd. I: Geschichte des rauchwarenhandels. bd. II: Naturgeschichte der pelztiere. Von Emil Brass. Berlin, Im verlage der Neuen pelzwaren-zeitung[pref. 1911] url , , p. 583, p. 583.
- Bibliographia primatologica; a classified bibliography of primates other than man. .. by Theodore C. Ruch. .. with an introduction by John F. Fulton. .. Springfield, Ill., C.C. Thomas, 1941- url p. 84.
- Billy and Hans, my squirrel friends: a true history / by W.J. Stillman. Portland, Me.: T.B. Mosher, 1914. url .
- Bio-ecology, by Frederic E. Clements. .. and Victor E. Shelford. .. New York, J. Wiley & Sons, inc.;1939. url p. 370.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 125, p. 193, p. 249, p. 400, p. 416.
- Birds & nature magazine. Chicago, nature study publishing company [etc.]1896-1907. url p. 234.
- Birds and all nature. Chicago: Nature Study Publishing Co., 1898-1900. url p. 234.
- Boletim da Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais. Lisboa, Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais, 1908- url p. 104.
- Breviora. 1968 Cambridge, Mass.: Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, [1952- url p. 16.
- British mammals, written and illustrated London, Longmans, Green and Co., 1920-21. url .
- British mammals. Sixty photographs from life, by Oxley Grabham, M.A., T. A. Metcalfe, Sydney H. Smith, Charles Kirk. London [etc.]Gowans & Gray, ltd., 1907. url p. 12, p. 66.
- British mammals; an attempt to describe and illustrate the mammalian fauna of the British islands from the commencement of the Pleistocene period down to the present day, London, Hutchinson, 1903. url , , .
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 85, p. 86.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 10, p. 209, p. 237, p. 249, p. 258, p. 319, p. 72.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Division of Entomology. Washington: G.P.O., 1883-1904. url p. 22.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url , , p. 255, p. 323, p. 45, p. 453, p. 475.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 19, p. 274, p. 35, p. 355.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 130 1963 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 241.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 878.
- Cacao, a manual on the cultivation and curing of cacao, London, Duckworth and co., 1911. url .
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url , p. 218, p. 219.
- Cassell's natural history. Ed. by P. Martin Duncan. .. London [etc]Cassell & Company, Limited, 1896. url p. 87.
- Catalogue of Mammalia in the Indian Museum, Calcutta / by John Anderson, Superintendent of the Indian Museum. Calcutta, 1881-1891. url p. 28, p. 29.
- Catalogue of mammalia in the Indian Museum, Calcutta, Calcutta, 1881-1891. url , , .
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 1020, p. 1061, p. 109, p. 1225, p. 133, p. 306, p. 316, p. 396, p. 401, p. 514, p. 658, p. 992, p. 996.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url , p. 1061, p. 109, p. 1225, p. 133, p. 306, p. 396, p. 401, p. 514, p. 658, p. 992, p. 996.
- Catalogue of the bones of Mammalia in the collection of the British museum. London, Printed by Order of the Trustees, 1862. url .
- Catalogue of the bones of mammalia in the collection of the British Museum / [compiled by Edward Gerrard]. London: printed by Taylor and Francis, by order of the Trustees, 1862 url p. 211.
- Catalogue of the books, manuscripts, maps and drawings in the British Museum (Natural History) London: BM(NH), 1903-1940. url p. 2304, p. 579, p. 579, p. 856.
- Catalogue of the library of the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University / compiled under the direction of Charles Sprague Sargent by Ethelyn Maria Tucker. Cambridge: Printed at the Cosmos Press, 1914-1933. url p. 234, p. 248.
- Catalogue of the mammals of Western Europe (Europe exclusive of Russia) in the collection of the British Museum London: printed by order of the Trustees, 1912. url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Catalogue of the mammals of western Europe (Europe exclusive of Russia) in the collection of the British Museum / by Gerrit S. Miller. London: BMNH, 1912. url p. 1001, p. 1002, p. 1003, p. 1004, p. 1007, p. 1009, p. 1010, p. 1013, p. 1016, p. 1018, p. 1019, p. 898, p. 905, p. 906, p. 907, p. 910, p. 912, p. 913, p. 914, p. 917, p. 923, p. 925, p. 927, p. 928, p. 941, p. 943, p. 944, p. 945.
- Catalogue of the species of Entozoa, or intestinal worms, contained in the collection of the British Museum [by William Baird] LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees1853 url p. 120, p. 82.
- Central Asiatic Expeditions of the American Museum of Natural History, under the leadership of Roy Chapman Andrews: preliminary contributions in geology, palaeontology, and zoology / by R.C. Andrews. .. [et al.] [New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1926-1930]. url p. 12.
- Chamber's encyclopaedia, a dictionary of universal knowledge. London, Chambers, 1902. url p. 43.
- Chambers's information for the people; edited by William and Robert Chambers. London, Chambers, 1884. url p. 188.
- Checklist of Palaearctic and Indian mammals 1758 to 1946 / by J.R. Ellerman and T.C.S. Morrison-Scott. London: BM(NH), 1966. url p. 471, p. 472, p. 473, p. 474, p. 475, p. 476.
- Checklists for the CORINE Biotopes Programme and its application in the PHARE countries of Central and East Europe: including comparisons with relevant conventions and agreements on the conservation of European species and habitats EC url p. 14.
- Classification of the collection to illustrate the animal resources of the United States. A list of substances derived from the animal kingdom, with synopsis of the useful and injurious animals and a classification to the methods of capture and utilization. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1876. url .
- Collected writings on mammals. [v.p.]1870-1908. url , p. 134, p. 878.
- Conservation of Species of Wild Flora and Vertebrate Fauna Threatened in the Community. Part vii: terrestrial mammals (excluding bats): species reports IUCN Species Conservation Monitoring Unit url p. 64.
- Cuvier's animal kingdom: arranged according to its organization / translated from the French, and abridged for the use of students by H. McMurtrie. London: Orr and Smith, 1840. url p. 109.
- Descriptive catalogue of the osteological series contained in the museum. .. by Richard Owen. London, Taylor and Francis, 1853. url p. 409.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 667, p. 778.
- Diseases of cultivated plants and trees / by George Massee. New York: Macmillan, [1910?] url p. 534, p. 589.
- Early man in Britain and his place in the tertiary period by W. Boyd Dawkins; illustrated by woodcuts. London: Macmillan, 1880. url .
- Effects of highways on wildlife and fish with special reference to Montana a ProCite literature collection / Bozeman, Mont.: Fish and Wildlife Management Program, Montana State University, 2001 url , , .
- Elements of the general and minute anatomy of man and the mammalia: chiefly after original researches / London: Bailliere, 1842. url p. 237.
- Eton nature-study and observational lessons, by Matthew Davenport Hill, . .. and Wilfred Mark Webb, . .. With a foreword by the Rev. Edmond Warre, . .. Part I-[II]. London, Duckworth & Co., 1903-1904. url p. 154.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 1168.
- Familiar features of the roadside; the flowers, shrubs, birds, and insects. New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1897. url .
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 156.
- Finland: its forests and forest management. Compiled by John Croumbie Brown. .. Edinburgh, Oliver and Boyd;1883. url p. 224, p. 280.
- Fur and feather in North China. Tientsin, North China: Tientsin Press, 1914. url p. 52, p. 74, p. 74.
- Fur-bearing animals in nature and in commerce. London, Gurney & Jackson, 1892. url , p. 233.
- Genera insectorum / publiés par P. Wytsman. Bruxelles, L. Desmet-Verteneuil [etc.]1902-1970. url p. 14.
- General embryological information service. Utrecht, Hubrecht Laboratory. url p. 47, p. 49, p. 50, p. 54, p. 82.
- General function of the gall bladder from the evolutionary standpoint, by Frank W. Gorham and Andrew Conway Ivy. 22 1938 Chicago, 1938. url p. 199.
- Geological magazine. London [etc.]Cambridge University Press. url p. 172, p. 259, p. 364, p. 507.
- Glacier garden, Lucerne. Lucerne: Bucher, 1913. url .
- Handbook of zoology / by J. van der Hoeven. Cambridge: University Press, 1856-1858. url p. 695.
- Handbook of zoology; by J. van der Hoeven. Tr. from the 2d Dutch ed. by the Rev. William Clark. Cambridge: Longman, Brown, Green, Longmans, and Roberts, 1856-58. url p. 695.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 103, p. 161, p. 62, p. 96.
- History of animals in ten books. Translated by Richard Cresswell. London, G. Bell, 1902. url p. 310.
- Humboldt; Monatsschrift für die gesamten Naturwissenschaften. Stuttgart, F. Enke, 1882-90. url p. 56.
- Iconographic encyclopaedia of science, literature, and art. systematically arranged by J.G. Heck. Translated from the German, with additions, and edited by Spencer F. Baird. .. illustrated by five hundred steel plates, containing upwards to twelve thousand en New York, R. Garrigue, 1851. url p. 19.
- Index generum mammalium: a list of the genera and families of mammals. By T. S. Palmer. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1904. url p. 864.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 115, p. 188, p. 545, p. 563.
- Introduction to zoology... / by Robert Patterson London: Simms and MIntyre, 1854 url .
- Introduction to zoology: for the use of schools / by Robert Patterson...; with upwards of 330 illustrations and a glossary of scientific terms. London: Simms and M'Intyre, 1848. url p. 407, p. 457.
- Ixodidae / par L. G. Neumann. Berlin: R. Friedlander und sohn, 1911. url p. 149.
- Ixodidae. BerlinR. Friedländer1911 url p. 149.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 445, p. 446, p. 463, p. 495, p. 596, p. 62, p. 630, p. 631, p. 632, p. 635, p. 639, p. 646, p. 671, p. 7.
- Journal of anatomy and physiology. Cambridge [Eng., etc.]University Press url p. 126, p. 130, p. 337, p. 45, p. 71, p. 77, p. 92, p. 98.
- Journal of mammalogy. Baltimore, Md.: American Society of Mammalogists url p. 181, p. 226.
- Journal of the proceedings of the Linnean Society. London: The Society, 1857-1864. url p. 3.
- Joy of nature: how to observe and appreciate the great outdoors / [editor, Alma E. Guinness]. Pleasantville, N.Y.: Reader's Digest Association, c1977. url p. 342.
- Key to the land mammals of northeastern North America, Albany, University of the State of New York, 1900. url , .
- Labrador, the country and the people, New York, The Macmillan co., 1913. url .
- Labrador: the country and the people / by Wilfred T. Grenfell and others. New York: Macmillan Co., 1909. url p. 460.
- Leach's Systematic catalogue of the specimens of the indigenous mammalia and birds in the British Museum. Ed. by Osbert Salvin. London: [Printed by R. and A. Taylor], 1882. url p. 7.
- Lectures on biology, by Dr. Curt Thesing, tr. from the 2d ed. by W. R. Boelter with the original coloured and other illustrations. London, J. Bale, sons & Danielsson, ltd., 1911. url p. 332.
- List of North American land mammals in the United States National Museum, 1911; by Gerrit S. Miller, jr. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1912. url p. 319.
- List of the specimens of the British animals in the collection of the British Museum / [edited by J.E. Gray] LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees1852- url p. 43.
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London, Printed for the Society, 1896. url p. 106, p. 106.
- List of vertebrated animals living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. .. London, Printed for the Society, 1866. url p. 28.
- Loudon's Natural History. Popular descriptions, tales and anecdotes of more than five hundred animals. London, G. Bell and sons, 1889. url , p. 95.
- MAB Biosphere Reserves: Site Descriptions, post compilation 5 (October 1990) UNESCO MAB Programme url .
- Mammalian masticatory apparatus / [by] William D. Turnbull -- [Chicago]: Field Museum Press, 1970. url p. 222.
- Mammals of Eastern Asia / by G.H.H. Tate. New York: The Macmillan Company, 1947. url p. 213.
- Mammals of Eastern Europe and Northern Asia. Jerusalem: Pub. for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C., by the Israel Program for Scientific Translations, l962- url , p. 286, p. 287, p. 289, p. 296, p. 300, p. 333, p. 335, p. 336, p. 337, p. 338, p. 340, p. 342, p. 345, p. 346, p. 348, p. 349, p. 353, p. 354, p. 356, p. 357, p. 359, p. 361, p. 362, p. 364, p. 366, p. 368, p. 370, p. 385.
- Mammals of the Mexican boundary of the United States: a descriptive catalogue of the species of mammals occurring in that region; with a general summary of the natural history, and a list of trees / Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1907. url .
- Mammals of the Soviet Union / V.G. Heptner, A.A. Nasimovich, and A.G. Bannikov; scientific editor, Robert S. Hoffmann. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1988- url p. 1072, p. 601, p. 804.
- Mark anniversary volume; to Edward Laurens Mark, Hersey professor of anatomy and director of the zoölogical laboratory at Harvard university, in celebration of twenty-five years of successful work for the advancement of zoölo New York, H. Holt and company, 1903. url p. 430.
- Material for a bibliography of North American mammals, prepared by Theodore Gill and Elliott Coues. Extracted from the eleventh volume of the final reports of the Survey, being Appendix B of the monographs of North American Rodentia. By Elliott Coues and Washington, Govt. print. off., 1877. url p. 1067.
- Memoirs read before the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, [Boston Society of Natural History]1862-1946. url p. 588.
- Mendel's principles of heredity, by W. Bateson. Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1909. url p. 175.
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url p. 222.
- Monitore zoologico italiano. [Siena]: Instituto anatomico della R. Università di Siena, [1890-1988] url p. 158, p. 194, p. 285, p. 78.
- Monograph of the Palaeontographical Society. London: Printed for the Palaeontographical Society, [1847?- url .
- Monographia anoplurorum Britanniae or An essay on the British species of parasitic insects belonging to the order of Anoplura of Leach, with the modern divisions of the general according to the views of Leach, Nitzsch, and Burmeister, by Henry Denny. . London: H. G. Bohn, 1842 url p. 7.
- Monographs of North American Rodentia. By Elliott Coues and Joel Asaph Allen. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1877. url p. 643, p. 668, p. 671, p. 685.
- Monographs of North American rodentia by Elliott Coues and Joel Asaph Allen. Washington: G.P.O., 1877. url , , .
- My garden, its plan and culture together with a general description of its geology, botany, and natural history, London, Bell and Daldy, 1872. url .
- Natural history of the animal kingdom for the use of young people: in three parts, comprising I. Mammalia: II. Birds: Part III. Reptiles, amphibia, fishes, insects, worms, molluscs, zoophytes, &c.: with 91 coloured plates, including about 850 figures, and numerous adapted from the German of Professor von Schubert by W.F. Kirby. 1889 Brighton: E. & J.B. Young and Co., 1889. url p. 14, p. XII, plate XIII.
- Natural history, by R. Lydekker [and others] London, Hutchinson, 1897. url p. 762.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 112, p. 134, p. 140, p. 16, p. 161, p. 162, p. 185, p. 206, p. 232, p. 256, p. 260, p. 286, p. 300, p. 307, p. 315, p. 328, p. 330, p. 350, p. 374, p. 380, p. 415, p. 472, p. 477, p. 555, p. 567, p. 600, p. 615, p. 636, p. 68, p. 72, p. 91.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 31, p. 46, p. 48, p. 49, p. 50, p. 625, p. 864, p. 866.
- Occasional papers of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, Boston Society of Natural History, 1869-1941. url p. 9.
- Odontography; or, A treatise on the comparative anatomy of the teeth; their physiological relations, mode of development, and microscopic structure, in the vertebrate animals. by Richard Owen. London, H. Baillière, 1840-45. url p. 25, p. 25, p. 26, p. 407, p. 407.
- Official lists and indexes of names and works in zoology / edited by R.V. Melville and J.D.D. Smith. London: ICZN, 1987. url p. 165.
- On the anatomy of vertebrates. .. By Richard Owen. London, Longmans, Green and Co., 1866-68. url p. 907.
- On the anatomy of vertebrates. LondonLongmans, Green1866-68 url p. 845, p. 907.
- On the phyletic weight of mensural cranial characters in chipmunks and their allies (Rodentia:Sciuridae) / Bruce D. Patterson. 20 1983 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1983. url p. 19.
- Opinions and declarations rendered by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. London, Printed by order of the International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 186, p. 194, p. 259, p. 338, p. 432.
- Oppian, Colluthus, Tryphiodorus, with an English translation by A.W. Mair LondonW. Heinemann1928 url p. 518.
- Our country's animals and how to know them. A guide to the mammals, reptiles and amphibians of Great Britain. With plates and diagrams by R.E. Holding. London, Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent url , p. 104, p. 65, p. 90.
- Outlines of general zoology. New York [N.Y.]: Rudolph Garrigue, 1851. url .
- Partridges and partridge manors, by Aymer Maxwell, with 16 illustrations in colour by George Rankin. London, A. & C. Black, 1911. url p. 205, p. 205.
- Pliny's Natural history. In thirty-seven books. A translation on the basis of that by Dr. Philemon Holland, edited 1601. .. Edited by the Wernerian club. [London]Printed for the Club by G. Barclay, 1847-49. url p. 68.
- Popular official guide to the New York zoological park / New York: New York zoological Society, 1915. url .
- Principles of economic zoo?logy, London, W.B. Saunders, 1915. url .
- Principles of economic zoölogy, London, W. B. Saunders Company, 1917. url p. 352.
- Principles of economic zoölogy, by L. S. Daugherty and M. C. Daugherty. Philadelphia, W. B. Saunders, 1917. url p. 352.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 191.
- Proceedings and transactions of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London: The Society. url p. 49.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url , p. 105, p. 105, p. 173, p. 37, p. 37.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 134, p. 159, p. 159, p. 268, p. 268.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 191.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, Natural History Society of Glasgow. url , , p. 123, p. 144, p. 189, p. 90.
- Proceedings of the New England Zoo?logical Club. [Cambridge, Mass.]: The Club, 1899- url , p. 110, p. 65, p. 65.
- Proceedings of the Royal Physical Society of Edinburgh. Edinburgh: The Society, 1858-1955 url p. 125, p. 157, p. 308, p. 37.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 230, p. 45, p. 46, p. 460, p. 58, p. 585, p. 587, p. 81, p. 95.
- Proceedings of the section of sciences / Koninklijke Akademie van Wetenschappen te Amsterdam. Amsterdam: Johannes Müller, [1899-1937]. url p. 12, p. 15, p. 19, p. 302, p. 380, p. 668, p. 8, p. 855.
- Protected Landscapes: experience around the world. Prepared for the International Symposium on Protected Landscapes, Grange-over-Sands, England 5-10 October 1987 IUCN url p. 90.
- Protoptychus hatcheri Scott, 1895: the mammalian faunas of the Washakie Formation, Eocene age, of southern Wyoming. William D. Turnbull --. Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1991. url p. 29.
- Publication. Field Columbian Museum. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1895-1909. url p. 59, p. 688.
- Publication. Field Museum of Natural History. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1910-1943. url p. 108.
- Quarterly journal of microscopical science. London, J. and A. Churchill [etc.] url p. 17, p. 177, p. 23, p. 248, p. 26.
- Readings in mammalogy / selected from the original literature and introduced with comments by J. Knox Jones, Jr., and Sydney Anderson. [Lawrence, Kans.]: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1970. url p. 117, p. 145, p. 151.
- Remarks on the Ornithology of Northern Norway / by Robert Collett. Christiania: [s.n.], 1872. url p. 41.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 115, p. 143.
- Report of the United States Geological Survey of the territories. F.V. Hayden, United States geologist in charge. .. [Final reports or monographs. vol. I]-III, V-XIII. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1873-90. url , , , , , .
- Report on the quadrupeds of Massachusetts. Cambridge, 1840. url p. 68.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 133.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Made under the direction of the secretary of war, in 1853-. .. Washington, A.O.P. Nicholson, Printer [etc.]1855-60. url p. 267, p. 271, p. 271.
- Reports on the herbaceous plants and on the quadrupeds of Massachusetts: published agreeably to an order of the Legislature by the Commissioners on the Zoological and Botanical Survey of the State. Cambridge: Folsom, Wells, and Thurston, 1840. url p. 68.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 16, p. 187.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 162, p. 975.
- Selected readings in mammalogy: selected from the original literature and introduced with comments / by J. Knox Jones, Jr., Sydney Anderson, and Robert S. Hoffmann. Lawrence, Kan.: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1976. url p. 330.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 123 1955 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 56, p. 72.
- Smithsonian year. 1965 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965-1976. url p. 169.
- Summary narrative of an exploratory expedition to the sources of the Mississippi River, in 1820: resumed and completed, by the discovery of its origin in Itasca Lake, in 1832. By authority of the United States. With appendices, comprising. .. all of the official reports and scientific papers of b By Henry R. Schoolcraft. Philadelphia, Lippincott, Grambo, and co., 1855. url p. 414.
- Supplement to Chasen (1940) A Handlist of Malaysian Mammals: containing a generic synonymy and a complete index / By J.R. Ellerman & T.C.S. Morrison-Scott. London: BM(NH), 1955. url p. 32.
- System of ophthalmology. St. Louis, Mosby, 1958- url p. 633, p. 832.
- Systematic results of the study of North American land mammals to the close of the year 1900, by Gerrit S. Miller, Jr., and James A. G. Rehn. Boston, Society of Natural History, 1901. url p. 25, p. 32.
- Ten years in Sweden: being a description of the landscape, climate, domestic life, forests, mines, agriculture, field sports and fauna of Scandinavia. London, Groombridge and sons, 1865. url .
- Text book of zoology London, Sampson Low, Marston, 1896. url , .
- Text-book of zoology; treated from a biological standpoint, by Dr. Otto Schmeil; tr. from the German by Rudolf Rosenstock, M. A.; ed. by J. T. Cunningham, M. A. London, A. and C. Black, 1901. url p. 76.
- The American journal of anatomy. Baltimore, MD: [s.n.], 1902-1991. url p. 35.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url , p. 128, p. 194, p. 195, p. 205, p. 249, p. 250, p. 252, p. 307, p. 309, p. 383, p. 384, p. 393, p. 418, p. 426, p. 426, p. 428, p. 429, p. 429, p. 469, p. 501, p. 517, p. 524, p. 524, p. 71.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 135, p. 139, p. 204, p. 269, p. 58, p. 71.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 671, p. 90.
- The British nature book; a complete handbook and guide to British nature study, embracing the mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, plants, etc., in the United Kingdom, by S.N. Sedgwick. .. Edinburgh, T.C. & E.C. Jack, Ltd., 1922. url p. 40.
- The Bulletin of zoological nomenclature. London, International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 253.
- The Cambridge natural history / edited by S. F. Harmer and A. E. Shipley. London: Macmillan and Co.; 1895-1909. url p. 460.
- The Canadian entomologist. Ottawa [etc.]Entomological Society of Canada [etc.] url p. 132, p. 132.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , p. 10, p. 121, p. 13, p. 14, p. 343, p. 350, p. 394, p. 495, p. 497, p. 497, p. 555, p. 740, p. 751, p. 753.
- The Entomologist's monthly magazine. Oxford [etc.]Entomologist's Monthly Magazine Ltd. [etc.] url p. 159, p. 74.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url p. 118.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 232.
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 216.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 42 1982 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url hancock & nash, page 597.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url p. 127.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society of London. London: Academic Press [etc.], 1865-1968. url p. 278, p. 369, p. 669.
- The Journal of the Quekett Microscopical Club. [London: Quekett Microscopical Club, 1868]-1966. url .
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 691.
- The Naturalist. 1891 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 136, p. 143, p. 201, p. 255, p. 256, p. 354, p. 60, p. 65, p. 66, p. 68, p. 70, p. 85.
- The Philippine journal of science. Manila: Bureau of Science url p. 24.
- The Quarterly journal of the Geological Society of London. London [etc.] url p. 117, p. 396, p. 45.
- The Scientific proceedings of the Royal Dublin Society. Dublin: The Society, 1877- url p. 84.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url , p. 149, p. 67.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 50, p. 54.
- The Vertebrata of the Pliocene deposits of Britain. London, Printed for H.M. Stationery off., by Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1891. url , , , .
- The Victoria history of the county of Warwick. London: Published for the University of London Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall, 1965- url p. 211.
- The age of mammals in Europe, Asia and North America, by Henry Fairfield Osborn. .. New York, The Macmillan Company, 1910. url p. 415, p. 417.
- The anatomical record. [New York, etc.]A. R. Liss [etc.] url p. 220.
- The animals of the world: Brehm's Life of animals; a complete natural history for popular home instruction and for the use of schools / by Alfred Edmund Brehm; copiously illustrated. .. by Fr. Specht. .. [et al.] Mammalia. Brought down and especially adapted for the use of English readers. Tr. from the 3d German edition as ed. by Chicago: A.N. Marquis & Co., 1895. url p. 308.
- The birds of Siberia; a record of a naturalist's visits to the valley of the Petchora and Yenesei, London, J. Murray, 1901. url , .
- The book of nature study, ed. by J. Bretland Farmer. .. assisted by a staff of specialists. Fully illustrated. London, Caxton publishing company[1908?]-1909. url p. 209.
- The coccidian parasites (Protozoa, Sporozoa) of rodents Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1965. url p. 11, p. 12, p. 14, p. 15, p. 16, p. 17, p. 18, p. 188, p. 20, p. 24, p. 252, p. 256, p. 318, p. 46.
- The desert world. From the French of Arthur Mangin. Edited and enlarged by the translator of "The bird, by Michelet." With 160 illustrations by W. Freeman, Foulquier, and Yan Dargent. London, T. Nelson, 1869. url p. 499.
- The effects of inanition and malnutrition upon growth and structure, by C. M. Jackson. .. 117 illustrations. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co.[c1925] url p. 69.
- The elements of British forestry, a handbook for forest apprentices and students of forestry, by John Nisbet. .. Edinburgh, W. Blackwood and Sons url p. 174.
- The families and genera of living rodents / by J.R. Ellerman; with a list of named forms (1758-1936) by R.W. Hayman and G.W.C.Holt. London: British Museum, 1941. url p. 500, p. 270, p. 322, p. 324, p. 325, p. 327, p. 330, p. 331, p. 332, p. 333, p. 377, p. 399.
- The fauna of Shropshire, being an account of all the mammals, birds, reptiles & fishes found in the county of Salop. With an introduction dealing with the physical features of the county, a copious index, a chapter on the pri Illustrated by photographic plates and portraits. By H. Edward Forrest. Shrewsbury, L. Wilding [etc. etc.]1899. url p. 65.
- The geographical and geological distribution of animals / New York: D. Appleton, 1901, c1886. url .
- The geographical distribution of mammals. By Andrew Murray. London, Day and Son, limited, 1866. url p. 368, p. 369, p. 371, p. 375, p. 376.
- The gid parasite and allied species of the cestode genus Multiceps. .. By Maurice C. Hall. .. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1910. url p. 59, p. 60.
- The handy natural history, by Ernest Protheroe, F.Z.S. With 318 illustrations, 136 being in full color. 1910 Boston, R.G. Badger, The Gorham press, 1910. url figure , p. 211.
- The history of Glanville's Wootton, in the County of dorset, including its zoology and botany / by C.W. Dale. London, Hatchards, 1878. url p. 29.
- The history of the borough, castle, and barony of Alnwick, by George Tate. .. Alnwick, H.H. Blair, 1866-69. url .
- The influence of man on animal life in Scotland; study in faunal evolution, by James Ritchie. .. Cambridge: University press, 1920. url p. 290.
- The mammalian fauna of the Edinburgh district: with records of occurrences of the rarer species throughout the south-east of Scotland generally 1892. Edinburgh [Scotland]: M'Farlane & Erskine, 1892. url p. 60, p. 60.
- The mammals of China and Mongolia / by Glover M. Allen. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1938-1940. url p. 10, p. 22, p. 611, p. 622, p. 623.
- The mammals of Illinois and Wisconsin, by Charles B. Cory. .. Chicago, 1912. url p. 108, p. 500, p. 500.
- The mammals, reptiles, and fishes of Essex; a contribution to the natural history of the county. By Henry Laver. With eight full-page and two half-page illustrations. Chelmsford, E. Durrant & co.; [etc., etc.]1898. url p. 137, p. 57.
- The mammary apparatus of the mammalia: in the light of ontogenesis and phylogenesis / London: Methuen & Co., 1920. url .
- The micrographic dictionary; a guide to the examination and investigation of the structure and nature of microscopic objects, by J. W. Griffith and Arthur Henfrey. London, J. Van Voorst, 1883. url , p. 944.
- The museum of natural history, with introductory essay on the natural history of the primeval world: being a popular account of the structure, habits, and classification of the various departments of the animal kingdom, quadrupeds, birds, reptiles, fishes, shells, and insects, including the insects d by Sir John Richardson, William S. Dallas, T. Spencer Cobbold, and William Baird & Adam White. Edinburgh: William MacKenzie, [1869?] url p. 130.
- The natural history and antiquities of Selborne, in the county of Southampton. By the late Rev. Gilbert White. Ed. by Thomas Bell. London, J. Van Voorst, 1877. url p. 363.
- The natural history of Ireland. London: Reeve, Benham and Reeve, 1849-56. url , p. 14.
- The natural history of animals (class Mammalia-animals which suckle their young), in word and picture, London, Blackie[188-?] url , , .
- The natural history of animals: (class Mammalia--animals which suckle their young), in word and picture / by Carl Vogt and Friedrich Specht; translated and edited with additions by George G. Chisholm. London: Blackie & Son, [1889?] url p. 145, p. vi, p. x.
- The natural history of animals: the animal life of the world in its various aspects and relations, London, The Gresham Publishing Company, 1903-04. url , , , , , , , .
- The natural history of the USSR / Algirdas Knystautas; foreword by Vladimir Flint; [translation, John S. Scott]. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1987. url p. 106, p. 212, p. 44.
- The natural history review. Dublin: Hodges & Smith, 1854-1865. url p. 17, p. 558.
- The naturalist in Norway: or, Notes on the wild animals, birds, fishes, and plants of that country. .. / by Rev. J. Bowden. London: L. Reeve & Co., 1869. url p. 60.
- The naturalist in Siluria (Herefordshire, Radnorshire, Brecknockshire and Glamorganshire). By Captain Mayne Reid. .. Philadelphia, Gebbie & Co., 1890. url p. 105.
- The naturalist's library: containing scientific and popular descriptions of man, quadrupeds, birds, fishes, reptiles and insects / compiled from the works of Cuvier, Griffith, Richardson, Geoffrey, Lacepede, Buffon, Goldsmith, Shaw, Montague, Wilson, Lewis and Clarke, Audubon, and other writers on natural history; arranged accor Boston: Phillips, Sampson, and Company, 1852. url p. 248.
- The naturalist's library; containing scientific and popular descriptions of man, quadrupeds, birds, fishes, reptiles and insects; comp. from the works of Cuvier, Griffith, Richardson. .. and other writers on natural history. Arranged according to the classification of Stark. Ed. by A. A. Gould, M.A. With four hundred engravings. Boston, Phillips, Sampson, and company, 1850. url p. 248.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 117, p. 125.
- The orders of mammals. By William K. Gregory. New York, The Trustees, 1910. url p. 323.
- The ornithology of the Straits of Gibraltar / by L. Howard L. Irby. London: R.H. Porter, 1895. url p. 25.
- The physiology of reproduction, London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1922. url .
- The physiology of reproduction, by Francis H. A. Marshall with a preface by Professor E. A. Schäfer. .. and contributions by William Cramer. .. and James Lochhead. .. with illustrations London, Longmans, Green and Co., 1910 url p. 41, p. 703.
- The physiology of reproduction. London, Longmans, Green and Co., 1910. url .
- The physiology of reproduction; with a preface by E.A. Schäfer and contributions by William Cramer and James Lochhead. London, Longmans, url p. 38, p. 746, p. 753, p. 755.
- The protection of woodlands against dangers arising from organic and inorganic causes. As rearranged for the fourth ed. of Kauschinger's Waldschutz. Authorised translation, with numerous notes by John Nisbet EdinburghD. Douglas1893 url p. 103.
- The quadrupeds of North America, New York, V.G. Audubon, 1851-54. url p. 228, p. 239.
- The sense of touch in mammals and birds: with special reference to the papillary ridges / by Walter Kidd. With 164 illustrations from drawings and micro-photographs. London: A and C. Black, 1907. url p. 16, p. 23, p. 4, p. 91.
- The student's handbook of stratigraphical geology. London, E. Stanford, 1912. url p. 602.
- The textile fibres of commerce. A handbook on the occurrence, distribution, preparation, and uses of the animal, vegetable, and mineral fibres used in cotton, woollen, paper, silk, brush, and hat manufactures. By William I. Hannan. London: C. Griffin, 1902. url p. 164.
- The treasury of natural history; or, A popular dictionary of animated nature: in which the zoological characteristics that distinguish the different classes, genera, and species, are combined with a variety of interesting information illustrative of the habits, instincts, and g By Samuel Maunder. .. London, Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1852. url p. 642.
- The vertebrate eye and its adaptive radiation [by] Gordon Lynn Walls. Bloomfield Hills, Mich., Cranbrook Institute of Science, 1942 url p. 514.
- The vertebrate fauna of Cheshire and Liverpool Bay / London: Witherby, 1910. url p. 470.
- The wild beasts of the world / by Frank Finn; illustrated with 100 reproductions in full colours from drawings by Louis Sargent, Cuthbert E. Swan, and Winifred Austin. 1 1909 London: T. C. & E. C. Jack, [1909?] url p. 190, p. vi.
- The wild beasts of the world / illustrated by Louis Sargent and others. London, Jack, 1909. url , .
- The wild beasts of the world; Edinburgh, T. C. & E. C. Jack,  url , .
- The wonders of animal ingenuity / by H. Coupin and John Lea. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1910. url p. 98.
- Ticks, a monograph of the Ixodoidea / by George H. F. Nuttall. .. [et al.]. Cambridge, [England]: University press, 1908-1926. url p. 154.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 288.
- Transactions of the Hertfordshire Natural History Society and Field Club. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1879- url , p. 243.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London. London: [The Society], 1879- url p. 408.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 312.
- Transactions of the Royal Scottish Arboricultural Society. Edinburgh: Douglas & Foulis, 1888-1926. url p. 68, p. 69.
- Travels of a naturalist in northern Europe, Norway, 1871, Archangel, 1872, Petchora, 1875, London, T. F. Unwin, 1905. url p. 157, p. 537.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 490.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 16 1965 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 406.
- Veröffentlichungen der Zoologischen Staatssammlung München. München: Die Staatssammlung, url p. 112, p. 220.
- Wild life of the world: a descriptive survey of the geographical distribution of animals / London; F. Warne and co., 1916. url p. 35, p. 470.
- Woodland creatures; being some wild life studies, by Frances Pitt. London, G. Allen & Unwin ltd. url p. 283.
- Works on forestry [by] J.C. Brown. Edinburgh, Oliver and Boyd; [etc., etc.]1883-87. url p. 224, p. 280.
- Zoological classification; a handy book of reference with tables of the subkingdoms, classes, orders, etc., of the animal kingdom, their characters and lists of the families and principal genera. London, J. Van Voorst, 1880. url p. 246.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Jena [Germany]: G. Fischer, 1910-1993. url p. 314.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 15, p. 200, p. 2762, p. 290, p. 314, p. 668, p. 9560.
- Zoology: an elementary text-book. Cambridge: Univ. Press, 1920. url .
- Zoölogical science, or, Nature in living forms adapted to elucidate the chart of the animal kingdom / by A.M. Redfield, and designed for the higher seminaries, common schools, libraries, and the family circle New York: E.B. & E.C. Kellogg, 1858 url p. 124, p. 124.
- [Collected reprints, 1912-1919. s.l., s.n., 19--] url , .
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- Shar, S., Lkhagvasuren, D., Bertolino, S., Henttonen, H., Kryštufek, B. & Meinig, H. 2008. Sciurus vulgaris. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 04February2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- Mammal Research Institute PAS, Mammal Collection
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Michigan State University Museum, Vertebrate specimens
- Royal Ontario Museum, Mammal specimens
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Biological Records Centre - Mammal records from Britain from the Atlas of Mammals
- , with some subsequent records
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 109378
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-632439
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481187
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 632439
- IUCN ID: 241435
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 9227
- Mean = 239.690 meters (786.385 feet), Standard Deviation = 335.330 based on 9,106 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- Shar, S., Lkhagvasuren, D., Bertolino, S., Henttonen, H., Kryštufek, B. & Meinig, H. 2008. Sciurus vulgaris. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 04 February 2012. [back]