Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
San Jose phoebe, San Pedro Martir phoebe, Say's flycatcher, Say's pewee, Say's Phoebe, Yukon phoebe
Common Names in French:
Moucherolle , moucherolle à ventre roux, moucherolle Ã ventre roux
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Spanish:
Adult : Bill: black Neck: Throat : pale grayish brown Body: Belly: tawny buff Breast: pale grayish brown Upperparts: brownish gray Legs : Foot Color: black Leg Color: black Tail: blackish brown Undertail Coverts: tawny buff.
About 7.5 inches long, with a wingspan of 12.5 to 12.5 inches. Adults weigh about 0.7 ounces .
Vegetation: northern temperate grasslands, arid montane scrubs, arid lowland scrubs, pastures and agricultural lands, arid lowland scrubs • Maximum Elevation: 2,500 meters • Foraging Strata: Canopy • Center of Abundance: Upper tropical: higher slopes, 900-1,600 m.; tropics. • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Low
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 3,632 meters (0 to 11,916 feet).
List of Habitats
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.5 Shrubland - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 3.7 Shrubland - Subtropical/Tropical High Altitude
- 4 Grassland
- 4.4 Grassland - Temperate
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.1 Artificial/Terrestrial - Arable Land
- 14.2 Artificial/Terrestrial - Pastureland [more info]
Almost Exclusively: Insects, with lesser Quantities of: Fruit.
- Nest Location: Mid-story/canopy nesting
- Nest Type: Open-cup
- Clutch Size: 4-5
- Length of Incubation : 12?-14 days
- Days to Fledge : 14-16
- Number of Broods: 2-3
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Suborder: Tyranni ()
- Order: Passeriformes () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superorder: Passerimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Sayornis saya (Bonaparte, 1825) • Sayornis saya Bonaparte 1825
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 29-Nov-2006
American Robin, Vermillion Flycatcher
Say's Phoebe is a bit larger than our Eastern Phoebe and has a slightly larger bill. Say's Phoebes are grayish brown above with a paler grayish throat and upper breast. The head, wings, and tail are darker than the back. The eye is dark and the bill is all dark. The belly and undertail coverts are an attractive shade of tawny/ochre.
Members of the genus Sayornis
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 8 species and subspecies in this genus:
S. nigricans (Black-Headed Flycatcher) · S. nigricans nigricans (Black Phoebe) · S. nigricans semiatra (Black Phoebe) · S. phoebe (Dusky Flycatcher) · S. saya (San Pedro Martir Phoebe) · S. saya quiescens (Say's Phoebe) · S. saya saya (Say's Phoebe) · S. saya yukonensis (Say's Phoebe)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A biological investigation of the Athabaska-Mackenzie region. By Edward A. Preble. .. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1908. url p. 393.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds with notes on the distribution of the species / by Montague Chamberlain. Saint John, N.B.: J. McMillan, 1887. url p. 71.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds, By Montague Chamberlain. Saint John, N.B., J. & A. McMillan, 1887. url p. 71, p. 71.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds: with notes on the distribution of the species / Saint John, N.B.: J. & A. McMillan, 1887. url .
- A catalogue of the birds of Indiana / by Amos W. Butler. S.l.: s.n., 1891? url p. 113, p. 113.
- A checklist of the vertebrate animals of Kansas / George D. Potts, Joseph T. Collins. [Lawrence, Kan.]: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1991. url p. 14.
- A first book upon the birds of Oregon and Washington; a pocket guide and pupil's assistant in a study of most of the land birds and a few of the water birds of these states. By William Rogers Lord. Portland, Ore., W. R. Lord, 1913 [c1902] url p. 273.
- A history of the birds of Colorado, London, Witherby & Co., 1912. url , , , .
- A list of the birds of eastern North America / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: For sale by B. Whidden, 1896. url p. 27.
- A manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern United States: including the district north and east of the Ozark mountains, south of the Laurentian hills, north of the southern boundary of Virginia, and east of the Missouri river, inclusive of marine species / Chicago:A. C. McClurg, 1916. url .
- A popular handbook of the ornithology of eastern North America by Thomas Nuttall; rev. and annotated by Montague Chamberlain. Boston: Little, Brown, 1891. url .
- A preliminary catalog of the birds of Missouri / St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis, 1907. url .
- A preliminary report on the biology of Harding County, northwestern South Dakota / by Stephen S. Visher. Pierre, S.D.: State Publishing Co., 1914. url p. 78.
- A preliminary review of the birds of Nebraska, with synopses, Omaha, 1904 url .
- A revised catalogue of the birds of Kansas: with descriptive notes of the nests and eggs of the birds known to breed in the state / Pub. under the direction of the Executive Council, May, 1886. Topeka: Kansas Publishing House, 1886. url p. 34.
- Animal and plant life in Oklahoma, Norman, 1917. url .
- Annual report of the Laguna Marine Laboratory / Pomona College. Claremont, Calif.: Dept. of Biology, Pomona College, 1912- url p. 191.
- Annual report of the Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture of the State of Michigan. .. Lansing: The Board, 1862- url p. 194.
- Audubon the naturalist; a history of his life and time, by Francis Hobart Herrick. .. New YorkD. Appleton-Century Company, incorporated, 1938. url p. 330.
- Audubon, the naturalist; a history of his life and time, by Francis Hobart Herrick. New York, Appleton[c1917] url p. 490.
- Biologia centrali-americana: Aves / [London: R.H. Porter], 1879-1904. url , , , .
- Bird blow flies (Protocalliphora) in North America (Diptera: Calliphoridae), with notes on the Palearctic species / Curtis W. Sabrosky, Gordon F. Bennett, and Terry L. Whitworth. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, c1989. url p. 236.
- Bird migration in the Mississippi Valley / by W.W. Cooke and Otto Widman [i.e. Widmann] [Chicago?]: The American Field, 1883. url p. 17.
- Bird neighbors an introductory acquaintance with one hundred and fifty birds commonly found in the gardens, meadows and woods about our homes / by Neltje Blanchan; with introduction by John Burroughs. Toronto: G. Morang, 1898. url .
- Bird neighbors. An introductory acquaintance with one hundred and fifty birds commonly found in the gardens, meadows, and woods about our homes, by Neltje Blanchan [pseud.] with introduction by John Burroughs, with many photographic illustrations in color and in black and white. New York: Doubleday, Page & co., 1904. url p. 72.
- Bird neighbors: an introductory acquaintance with one hundred and fifty birds commonly found in the gardens, meadows, and woods about our homes / by Neltje Blanchan; with introduction by John Burroughs. Garden City: Doubleday, 1918. url p. 72.
- Bird neighbors; an introductory acquaintance with one hundred and fifty birds commonly found in the gardens, meadows, and woods about our homes Garden City, N. Y., Garden City Pub. Co.[c1922] url .
- Bird notes afield; a series of essays on the birds of California, by Charles A. Keeler. San Francisco, D.P. Elder & M. Shepard, 1899. url p. 300.
- Bird studies; an account of the land birds of eastern North America, London, G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1898. url .
- Birds of California: an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies / Chicago: A.C. McClurg, 1912, c1903. url .
- Birds of California; an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies, Chicago, A.C. McClurg, 1916. url .
- Birds of Michigan. By A. J. Cook. Lansing, Mich., R. Smith & co., state printers and binders, 1893 url p. 5.
- Birds of Michigan. Lansing, Mich., R. Smith & Co., State Printers and Binders, 1893 url .
- Birds of Michigan. illustrated by A. J. Cook. Lansing, Mich., R. Smith & co., state printers and binders, 1893 url p. 5.
- Birds of the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangel Island = (Ptitsy Chukotskogo poluostrova i ostrova Vrangelya) / L.A. Portenko; translated from Russian [by P.M. Rao]. New Delhi: Published for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C., by Amerind Pub. Co., 1981- url p. 330.
- Birds of the Huachuca mountains, Arizona, by Harry S. Swarth. Los Angeles, Cal.: The Club, 1904. url p. 23.
- Birds of the Pacific slope of Los Angeles County: a list with brief notes / [Pasadena, Calif.: Pasadena Academy of Sciences], 1898 url .
- Birds of the Rockies, by Leander S. Keyser... with eight full-page plates [four in color] by Louis Agassiz Fuertes; many illustrations in the text by Bruce Horsfall, and eight views of localities from photographs; with a c Chicago, A. C. McClurg and co., 1902. url p. 328.
- Brigham Young University science bulletin. 10 1968 Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, [1955-1976] url p. 22, p. 30, p. 47.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 166, p. 173, p. 316, p. 409, p. 53, p. 550, p. 551, p. 594, p. 602, p. 604, p. 903.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1971 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 176, p. 176, p. 45, p. 47, p. 47, p. 50, p. 50.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 168, p. 37.
- Bulletin of the California Academy of Sciences. [S.l.: The Academy], 1884- url p. 453.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 118, p. 118, p. 238, p. 250, fig. 8, page 256, fig. 9, page 258, p. 259, p. 261, p. 265.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences. Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1902-1971. url , .
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., Govt. Print. Off., 1913-1923. url p. 26, p. 26.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url .
- Catalogue of British Columbia birds. Victoria, B. C., Printed by R. Wolfenden, 1904. url .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds / by John Macoun and James M. Macoun. Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Mines, Geological Survey Branch, 1909. url p. 375.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, Ottawa, Government Printing Bureau, 1909. url .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds. .. Ottawa, Printed by S. E. Dawson, 1900-04. url .
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. initiated by Charles B. Cory, continued by Charles E. Hellmayr. 13 1927 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1927. url p. 59.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 32.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 205.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British Museum (Natural History) London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 205.
- Check list of British Columbia birds. Victoria, B. C., R. Wolfeenden, Printer to the Queen, 1891. url .
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 513.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American Ornithologists' Union, 1895. url .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 341, p. 682, p. 684, p. 691.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 458.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 148.
- Collected writings on mammals. [v.p.]1870-1908. url p. 37.
- Contributions to the natural history of Alaska results of investigations made chiefly in the Yukon district and the Aleutian Islands; conducted under the auspices of the Signal Service, United States Army, extending from May, 1874, to August, 1881 prepared under the direction of W.B. Hazen, Chief Signal Officer of the Army, by L. M. Turner. Washington: G.P.O., 1886. url .
- Eggs of North American birds; by Chas. J. Maynard. Illustrated with ten hand-colored plates. Boston, De Wolfe, Fiske & co., 1890. url p. 84.
- Elkhorn Slough Estuarine Sanctuary: proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award for Elkhorn Slough, Monterey County, California / Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1979? url .
- Fauna of New England, 11: list of the aves / by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 128.
- Fauna of New England. Boston, Printed for the [Boston] Society [of Natural History] from the Gurdon Saltonstall Fund, 1904-25. url p. 128.
- Fauna of New England. List of the Araneida. Boston, For Society, 1908. url .
- Fauna of New England. by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 128.
- Fauna of the Aleutian Islands and Alaska Peninsula, by Olaus J. Murie. Invertebrates and fishes collected in the Aleutians, 1936-38, by Victor B. Scheffer. Washington, Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1959 url , p. 212.
- First annual report of the Laguna Marine Laboratory at Laguna Beach, Orange County, California. Claremont, Calif., Dept. of Biology, Pomona College, 1912. url p. 191.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 52.
- Genera insectorum / publiés par P. Wytsman. Bruxelles, L. Desmet-Verteneuil [etc.]1902-1970. url p. 24.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1976 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 125, p. 154, p. 225, p. 229.
- Guide to taxidermy, by Chas. K. Reed and Chester A. Reed. Illustrated by drawings and photographs of mounted specimens by the authors and Mr. N. F. Stone. Worcester, Mass., C.K. Reed, 1914. url p. 271.
- Handbook of birds of eastern North America; with introductory chapters on the study of birds in nature, London, D. Appleton and Company, 1912. url .
- Handbook of birds of the western United States, including the great plains, great basin, Pacific slope, and lower Rio Grande valley, by Florence Merriam Bailey, with thirty-three full-page plates by Louis Agassiz Fuertes, and over six hundred cuts in the text. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1904. url p. 255, p. 60, p. 67, p. 78.
- History of Pasadena, comprising an account of the native Indian, Pasadena, Cal., Pasadena history company, 1895. url p. 596.
- History of the birds of Kansas. By N. S. Goss. Illustrating 529 birds. Topeka, Kan., G. W. Crane, 1891. url p. 362, p. 362.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and Lower California Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1896. url , p. 878.
- Land birds of the Pacific district / by Lyman Belding. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, 1890. url p. 94.
- Land birds of the Pacific district, San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences, 1890. url .
- Life histories of North American birds, from the parrots to the grackles, with special reference to their breeding habits and eggs, Washington, Smithsonian Institution, 1895. url , , .
- Lund easement baseline biological inventory / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2001 url .
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 131, p. 243.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1965 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 34, p. 36, p. 4.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds: with a chapter on ornithological and oölogical collecting (the preparation of skins, nests and eggs for the cabinet). Toronto: Musson url p. 305.
- New Mallophaga, 3. Comprising: Mallophaga from birds of Panama, Baja California and Alaska. San FranciscoCalifornia Academy of Sciences1899 url p. 136, p. 141, p. 228, p. 87.
- North American birds eggs, by Chester A. Reed...illustrating the eggs of nearly every species of North American birds. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1904. url p. 218.
- North American birds eggs. New York: Dover Pub, . url p. 218.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url , p. 11, p. 117, p. 126, p. 134, p. 155, p. 177, p. 212, p. 212, p. 28, p. 38, p. 39, p. 39, p. 392, p. 44, p. 51, p. 61, p. 61, p. 70, p. 85, p. 98.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 141, p. 228, p. 87, p. 94.
- Ornithologist and oo?logist Pawtucket, R.I. url p. 66.
- Our native birds of song and beauty, being a complete history of all the songbirds, flycatchers, hummingbirds, swifts, goatsuckers, woodpeckers, kingfishers, trogons, cuckoos, and parrots, of North America. Milwaukee, G. Brumder, 1893-96. url .
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 10, p. 10, p. 23, p. 23, p. 42, p. 42, p. 64, p. 64.
- Point Lobos Reseerve; State Park, California. Interpretation of a primitive landscape. Sacramento, [State Print. Off., 1954] url p. 96.
- Potential wildlife-highway interactions at select mile-markers along Montana Department of Transportation routes an ArcView GIS analysis / Bozeman, Mont.: Fish and Wildlife Management Program, Montana State University, 2001 url .
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 118, p. 118, p. 211, p. 25, p. 27, p. 27, p. 44, p. 44, p. 62, p. 62, p. 682, p. 682, p. 9, p. 9, p. 968, p. 968.
- Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society held at Philadelphia for promoting useful knowledge. Philadelphia: American Philosophical Society url p. 166.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 666.
- Proceedings of the Nebraska Ornithologists' Union. Lincoln, [1900-15] url p. 31, p. 54, p. 77.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 57, p. 93.
- Publication. Field Museum of Natural History. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1910-1943. url , p. 174, p. 534.
- Report on bird migration in the Mississippi valley in the years 1884 and 1885 / Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1888. url .
- Report upon natural history collections made in Alaska: between the years 1877 and 1881 / by Edward W. Nelson; edited by Henry W. Henshaw; prepared under the direction of the chief signal officer. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1887. url p. 161, p. 33.
- Results of a biological survey of Mount Shasta, California, Washington, Govt Print. Off., 1899. url .
- Results of a biological survey of mount Shasta, California, by C. Hart Merriam, chief of Divison of Biological Survey. Washington, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture. Div. of Biological Survey: 1899. url p. 117.
- Significance of white markings in birds of the order Passeriformes / Berkeley: The University Press, 1910. url .
- Smithsonian contributions to knowledge. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1848-1916. url , , p. 276.
- Special bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1892- url , p. 276.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 23.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 116, p. 12, p. 134, p. 14, p. 140, p. 144, p. 147, p. 149, p. 176, p. 176, p. 179, p. 18, p. 180, p. 192, p. 206, p. 215, p. 216, p. 22, p. 223, p. 228, p. 229, p. 234, p. 235, p. 236, p. 244, p. 248, p. 27, p. 283, p. 296, p. 297, p. 303, p. 304, p. 307, p. 309, p. 350, p. 353, p. 355, p. 355, p. 363, p. 384, p. 391, p. 395, p. 421, p. 423, p. 459, p. 48, p. 69, p. 7, p. 79.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 38 1924 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 111, p. 117, p. 127, p. 167, p. 183, p. 192, p. 229, p. 230, p. 264, p. 305, p. 307, p. 309, p. 310, p. 352, p. 4, p. 449, p. 473, p. 526, p. 562, p. 581, p. 593, p. 601, p. 602, p. 674, p. 678, p. 94.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 32 1972 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url worthen, page 220, p. 249, p. 282, p. 46, p. 481, p. 493, p. 518, p. 522, p. 578, p. 603, p. 605, p. 606, p. 69, p. 733.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 126, p. 170.
- The University of Colorado studies. Boulder, University of Colorado. url p. 138, p. 156, p. 232, p. 28.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 37 1956 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 1214, p. 1375.
- The Warbler. Floral Park: Mayflower Pub. Co., [1903-1913] url p. 86.
- The Wilson bulletin. Columbus, Ohio: Wilson Ornithological Society, 1894- url p. 1, p. 27, p. 64, p. 86.
- The birds of Colorado / Fort Collins, Colo.: State Agricultural College, Agricultural Experiment Station, 1897. url , , .
- The birds of Fergus County, Montana / by P. M. Silloway. Lewistown, Mont.: Press of the Argus, 1903. url p. 38, p. 76.
- The birds of Illinois and Wisconsin / by Charles B. Cory. Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1909. url p. 174, p. 534, p. 760.
- The birds of Indiana. A descriptive catalogue of the birds that have been observed within the state, with an account of their habits. Indianapolis, Indiana Dept. of Geology and Natural Resources, 1898 url p. 1171.
- The birds of Massachusetts, Cambridge, Mass., 1901. url .
- The birds of Massachusetts, by Reginald Heber Howe and Glover Morrill Allen. Cambridge, Mass., 1901. url p. 80, p. 80.
- The birds of Texas; an annotated check list, Waco, Tex., The University, 1912. url .
- The birds of Washington: a complete, scientific and popular account of the 372 species of birds found in the state / by William Leon Dawson. .. assisted by John Hooper Bowles. .. illustrated by more than 300 original half-tones of birds in life, nests, eggs, and favorite haunts, from photographs by the author and ot Seattle: The Occidental publishing co., 1909. url p. 378.
- The birds of Washington; a complete, scientific and popular account of the 372 species of birds found in the state, by William Leon Dawson, assisted by John Hooper Bowles. Illustrated by more than 300 original half-tones of birds in life, nests, eggs, and favorite haunts, from photographs by the author and others, Seattle: The Occidental Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 378.
- The birds of Wyoming / By Wilbur C. Knight. Laramie, Wyo.: Wyoming Experiment Station, 1902. url p. 214.
- The birds of Wyoming. [Laramie, Wyoming Experiment Station]1902. url .
- The birds of eastern North America known to occur east of the nineteenth meridian. .. By Charles B. Cory. Boston, Bay State Pub. Co., 1900, c1899. url p. 365.
- The birds of eastern North America: known to occur east of the ninetieth meridian / by Charles B. Cory. Chicago: Field Columbian Museum, 1899. url p. 365.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 233.
- The condor. Santa Clara, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, [1900- url p. 111, p. 127, p. 138, p. 148, p. 155, p. 166, p. 198, p. 21, p. 78, p. 84, p. 88.
- The land-birds and game-birds of New England; with descriptions of the birds, their nests and eggs, their habits and notes, with illustrations; by H. D. Minot. .. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, 1895. url p. 475.
- The ornithology of Illinois. Part I. Descriptive catalogue. By Robert Ridgway. Part II. Economic ornithology. By S. A. Forbes. Pub. by the authority of the state Legislature. Springfield, Ill., H. W. Rokker, printer, 1889-95. url p. 348, p. 348.
- The standard catalogue of North American birds eggs. Albion, N.Y., F.H. Lattin, 1892. url p. 30.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 138, p. 138, p. 138.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 171.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 14 1967 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 217, p. 293, p. 330, p. 45.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 234, p. 260.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 75.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 12 1964 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 580, p. 630, p. 675.
- Yosemite nature notes. [Yosemite National Park, Calif.: Yosemite Natural History Association url p. 110.
- Zoe:a biological journal. 4 1893 San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 237.
- BirdLife International 2004. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 18, 2008.
- BirdLife International 2009. Sayornis saya. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 04February2012.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 and ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 03, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 10 providers.
- Hines, J. E., Gregory Gough, J. R. Sauer, et al. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- NatureServe. 2003. Downloadable animal data sets. NatureServe Central Databases. Accessed February 6, 2005.
- Parker III, T.A., D.F. Stotz, and J.W. Fitzpatrick, and quot;Ecological and Distributional Databases for Neotropical Birds, and quot; in Neotropical Birds: Ecology and Conservation, by D.F. Stotz, T.A. Parker III, J.W. Fitzpatrick, and D.K. Moskovits (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1996). ISBN 0-226-64676-9.
- Peterson, Alan P. Zoological Nomenclature Resource. Accessed June 19, 2009.
- Pippen, Jeffrey S. Jeff's Nature Page. Accessed December 2, 2007.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- Sauer, J. R., J. E. Hines, and J. Fallon. 2005. The North American Breeding Bird Survey, Results and Analysis 1966 - 2004. Version 2005.2. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
- Sauer, J. R., S. Schwartz, and B. Hoover. 1996. The Christmas Bird Count Home Page. Version 95.1. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 03, 2008:
- Avian Knowledge Network: eBird
- Avian Knowledge Network: Great Backyard Bird Count
- Avian Knowledge Network: Project FeederWatch
- Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: North West Territories and Nunavut Bird Checklist, Canada
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds (Aves)
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Royal British Columbia Museum
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Bird Collection
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology: Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History: Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM: CNAV/Coleccion Nacional de Aves
- University of Alaska Museum of the North: University of New Mexico Museum of Southwestern Biology Bird Collection
- University of Colorado Museum: Zoological specimens
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ): Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2470
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-712492
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2482044
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 178333
- IUCN ID: 240817
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABPAE35030
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 13063