'The Nymphalidae are members
of the Superfamily
Papilionoidea, the true butterflies. Distributed worldwide, butterflies of this family
are especially rich in the tropics. They are highly variable, and there are more species in this family than in any other. Adults
vary in size from small to large, and their front legs
are reduced, unable to be used for walking. Wing
is also highly variable: some species have irregular margins
(anglewings and commas), and others have long taillike projections (daggerwings). Browns, oranges, yellows, and blacks are frequent colors, while iridescent
colors such as purples and blues are rare. Adults of some groups are the longest-lived butterflies, surviving 6-11 months. Adult feeding behavior depends on the species, where some groups primarily seek flower nectar while others only feed
, rotting fruit, dung, or animal carcasses. Males exhibit
behaviors when seeking mates. Egg-laying
varies widely, as some species lay eggs
in clustsers, others in columns, and others singly. Caterpillar appearance
and behavior vary widely. Brushfoots overwinter
as larvae or adults.
Brushfoots are the most prevalent members of the Family Nymphalinae. Distributed worldwide, this is a diverse group that contains several tribes , each with somewhat different structural and biological features. Adults of North American species are predominantly orange, brown, and black. Wing shape and mating systems are variable. Most checkerspots and crescentspots patrol for mates, while the remainder of groups exhibit either perching or perching and patrolling . Migration varies widely; some strong migrants are found in the lady butterflies, tortoiseshells, and anglewings, while other species are local in occurrence. Most species limit their host plants to a few species, but the Painted Lady has one of the widest host palettes of all butterflies. Eggs are laid singly or clustered in groups, and caterpillars be found feeding alone or communally. Brushfoots overwinter as young caterpillars or hibernating adults.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Latreille, 1829
- Snodgrass, 1938
- Heymons, 1901
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superorder: Panorpida ()
- Cohort: Myoglossata ()
- Infraclass: Pterygota ()
- Subclass: Dicondylia ()
- Class: Insecta () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Insects
- Epiclass: Hexapoda ()
- Superclass: Panhexapoda ()
- Infraphylum: Atelocerata () - Heymons, 1901
- Subphylum: Mandibulata () - Snodgrass, 1938
- Phylum: Arthropoda () - Latreille, 1829 - Arthropods
- Superphylum: Panarthropoda () - Cuvier
- Infrakingdom: Ecdysozoa () - A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Members of the genus Pyrameis
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 0 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of the butterflies known to occur in Indiana / by W. S. Blatchley. S.l.: s.n., 1891? url p. 21.
- A hand-book to the order Lepidoptera. By W.F. Kirby. .. London, E. Lloyd, limited, 1896-1897. url p. 99.
- A handbook to the order Lepidoptera. By W. F. Kirby. London, E. Lloyd, limited, 1896-1897. url p. 99.
- A manual of North American butterflies by Charles J. Maynard. Boston: De Wolfe, Fiske, 1891. url .
- A nature wooing at Ormond by the sea, by W.S. Blatchley. .. Indianapolis: The Nature publishing company, 1902. url p. 229.
- Abstract of proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng.]: South London Entomological and Natural History Society, [1885-1896] url p. 123, p. 58.
- Animal communities in temperate America, Chicago, Ill., Pub. by the University of Chicago press[c1913] url p. 270.
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York, New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 201.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 411.
- Annual report of the New Jersey state museum. 1901-12, 1914. Trenton, New Jersey. [etc.]1902-15. url p. 411.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 23.
- Annual report of the Quebec Society for the Protection of Plants from Insects and Fungous Diseases. Quebec: The Society, 1909-1920. url p. 13.
- Annual report on the New York State Museum of Natural History. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 167.
- As nature shows them: moths and butterflies of the United States, east of the Rocky Mountains: with over 400 photographic illustrations in the text and many transfers of species from life / by Sherman F. Denton. Boston: J.B. Millet, c1900. url , , p. 268, p. 9.
- As nature shows them; moths and butterflies of the United States, east of the Rocky mountains. With over 400 photographic illustrations in the text and many transfers of species from life. BostonB. Whidden1900 url p. 28.
- Bibliographical catalogue of the described tranformations of North American Lepidoptera by Henry Edwards. Washington: G.P.O., 1889. url .
- Birds and nature. Chicago, Ill.: A.W. Mumford, Publisher, 1900-1907. url p. 96.
- Brief notes of a trip to Point Pelee, with additions to our list of Canadian butterflies by the editor [i.e. William Saunders]. Ottawa?: s.n., 1884? url .
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 25.
- Bulletin / The Geographic Society of Chicago. Chicago, Ill.: Published for the Society by the University of Chicago Press, url .
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Division of Entomology. Washington: G.P.O., 1883-1904. url p. 36, p. 36.
- Bulletin / University of Montana. Missoula: University of Montana, 1901-1910. url p. 159.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 268, p. 269, p. 273.
- Bulletin of the Charleston Museum. [Charleston, S.C.: the Museum], 1907-1922. url p. 35.
- Bulletin of the Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History. Bloomington, Ill.: The Laboratory, 1876-1918. url p. 248, p. 248, p. 405, p. 405, p. 405.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 78 1935 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 165.
- Bulletin of the Natural History Society of New Brunswick. St. John, N. B., Natural History Society of New Brunswick. url p. 118.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 168.
- Butterflies worth knowing / by Clarence M. Weed; illustrated by forty-eight plates, thirty-two in color. [Garden City, N.Y.]Pub. by Doubleday, Page & Company for Nelson Doubleday, 1923 [c1917] url p. 191.
- Catalogue of the exhibit of economic entomology at the World's Columbian Exposition, Chicago Ill., 1893, Washington, D.C., U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Division of Entomology, 1893. url p. 86.
- Elementary entomology, Boston, Ginn and company[c1912] url p. 182.
- Entomological contributions by J.A. Lintner Albany: Weed, Parsons, 1872-1878 url p. 144, p. 144, p. 165, p. 167, p. 167.
- Entomological news, and proceedings of the Entomological Section of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia[Entomological Rooms of the Academy of Natural Sciences] url , , , p. 1, p. 109, p. 113, p. 116, p. 116, p. 14, p. 14, p. 170, p. 173, p. 173, p. 247, p. 247, p. 260, p. 27, p. 27, p. 30, p. 310, p. 33, p. 332, p. 332, p. 34, p. 348, p. 348, p. 422, p. 44, p. 44, p. 444, p. 56, p. 72, p. 72, p. 85, p. 85, p. 87, p. 87, p. 96, p. 96, p. 98.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 359, p. 91.
- Final report of the state geologist. Trenton, N.J.: The Survey, 1888- url p. 273.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 227.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url .
- Insect life / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Division of Entomology. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, url p. 161.
- Insects of New Jersey; a list of the species occurring in New Jersey, with notes on those of economic importance, by John B. Smith. Trenton, N.J., MacCrellish & Quigley, state printers, 1900. url p. 372, p. 372.
- Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society. Chapel Hill, N.C. [etc.]Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society [etc.] url p. 20, p. 77.
- Journal of the New York Entomological Society. Lawrence, Kan.: Allen Press [etc.] url , p. 272, p. 45.
- Literary pilgrimages of a naturalist / by Winthrop Packard. Boston: Small, Maynard,  url p. 144, p. 214, p. 218.
- Nature's garden: With many color illustrations. Garden City, N. Y., : Garden City Pub. Co., [c1900] url .
- Nature's garden; an aid to knowledge of our wild flowers and their insect visitors. With colored plates and many other illus. photographed directly from nature by Henry Troth and A. R. Dugmore. Text by Neltje Blanchan [pseud.] 1922 Garden City, N. Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1922. url p. 208, p. 267.
- Old Plymouth trails / Boston, Small, Maynard & company[c1920] url .
- Old Plymouth trails / by Winthrop Packard. Boston: Small, Maynard, 1920. url p. 20.
- Old Plymouth trails, Boston, Small, Maynard & company[c1920] url p. 20.
- Old Plymouth trails, by Winthrop Packard... Boston, Small, Maynard & company[c1920] url p. 20.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 296, p. 299, p. 319.
- Proceedings - Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences. Staten Island, N.Y., Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences. url p. 4.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 296, p. 299, p. 319.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 448.
- Proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng]: South London Entomological and Natural history Society, [1897-1933] url p. 2, p. 93.
- Proceedings. Halifax url .
- Psyche. Cambridge, Mass.: Cambridge Entomological Club url p. 130.
- Report of the State Entomologist on injurious and other insects of the state of New York. Albany: Weed, Parsons and Co.; University of the State of New York, 1882- url p. 507.
- Report on the injurious and other insects of the State of New York. Albany: State Entomologist, 1882-1898. url p. 507.
- Report upon United States Geographical Surveys West of the One Hundredth Meridian / Washington [D.C.]: G.P.O., 1875-1889. url p. 769.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 36.
- Synopsis of the described Lepidoptera of North America. Part I--Diurnal and crepuscular Lepidoptera. Comp. for the Smithsonian institution, Washington, Smithsonian institution, 1862. url p. 60.
- The American Museum journal. New York: American Museum of Natural History, c1900- url p. 36, p. 37.
- The Canadian entomologist. Ottawa [etc.]Entomological Society of Canada [etc.] url p. 105, p. 165, p. 202, p. 235, p. 239, p. 272, p. 290, p. 311, p. 311, p. 415, p. 415, p. 49, p. 53, p. 53, p. 79, p. 79, p. 8, p. 8, p. 88, p. 88, p. 92.
- The Entomologist's monthly magazine. Oxford [etc.]Entomologist's Monthly Magazine Ltd. [etc.] url p. 246.
- The Entomologist. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., [1877- url , , , , p. 141, p. 155, p. 24, p. 29, p. 300.
- The Journal of the Cincinnati Society of Natural History. Cincinnati: The Society, 1878/79 [i.e. 1878 or 1879]-1945. url p. 13.
- The Kansas University quarterly. Lawrence, Kansas: The University. url p. 142.
- The Macrolepidoptera of the world; a systematic description of the hitherto known Macrolepidoptera, ed. in collaboration with well-known specialists. Stuttgart: Seitz'schen (Kernen), 1906- url p. 459.
- The Proceedings and transactions of the Nova Scotian Institute of Science. Halifax, Nova Scotian Institute of Science. url .
- The butterflies of Maine. .. / C. H. Fernald. Augusta [Me.]: Sprague & Son, 1884. url p. 58, p. 59.
- The butterflies of Montana: with keys for determination of species, by Morton John Elrod. .. assisted by Frances Inez Maley, A. B. A nature study bulletin, for the use of teachers, students and others who wish to study the butterflies; with one colored plate, twelve Missoula, Mont.: University of Montana, 1906. url p. 159.
- The butterflies of the eastern United States. For the use of classes in zoology, and private students, by G. H. French. Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott Co., 1886. url p. 198.
- The butterfly book a popular guide to a knowledge of the butterflies of North America / by W.J. Holland. Toronto: W. Briggs, 1898. url .
- The butterfly book: a popular guide to a knowledge of the butterflies of North America / by W.J. Holland. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1922, c1898. url p. 100.
- The butterfly book; a popular guide to a knowledge of the butterflies of North America. With 48 plates in color-photography, reproductions of butterflies in the author's collection, and many text illustrations presenting 1922 Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page, 1922 [c1898] url p. 170, fig. 97.
- The nature-study review Ithica, N.Y.: Comstock Pub. Co., 1905-1923 url p. 341.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 176, p. 436, p. 437, p. 460, p. 470, p. 474.
- Transactions of the American Entomological Society Philadelphia: The Society, 1890- url p. 354.
- Transactions of the Entomological Society of London. London, The Society. url , p. 112, p. 115, p. 117, p. 123.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 156.
- Transactions of the Scientific Association, Meriden, Conn. [Meriden, Conn.: Meriden Scientific Association], 1885. url p. 43.
- Travels amongst the great Andes of the equator / New York: C. Scribner's Sons, c1892. url p. 115.
- Zoe:a biological journal. 3 1892 San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 239.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 31, 2012.