Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
muttonbird, Short-tailed Shearwater, slender-billed shearwater, whalebird
Common Names in French:
Puffin , Puffin à bec grêle
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Spanish:
Pardela cola corta
Typically found in water with a depth of 0 to -5,084 meters (0 to -16,680 feet).
Breeding occurs mainly on coastal islands, typically in areas of
grassland or other vegetation, but sometimes cliffs
or bare ground1.
It conducts a bimodal feeding strategy whilst breeding, alternating
to local waters with long foraging trips (up
to 17 days) to the Polar
Frontal Zone. Short trips allow greater
chick provisioning at the sacrifice of body condition, which is then
recovered in richer sub-Antarctic waters. Diet
includes fish (particularly
mycotphids), crustaceans and squid2. Feeding occurs
in flocks of up to 20,000 birds, and it has been seen associated
. It is a trans-equatorial migrant, wintering
Islands, some moving north of Bering Strait1.
List of Habitats :
- 4 Grassland
- 4.1 Grassland - Tundra
- 4.3 Grassland - Subantarctic
- 4.4 Grassland - Temperate
- 9 Marine Neritic
- 9.1 Marine Neritic - Pelagic
- 9.2 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Rock and Rocky Reefs
- 9.3 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Loose Rock/pebble/gravel
- 9.4 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy
- 9.5 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy-Mud
- 9.7 Marine Neritic - Macroalgal/Kelp
- 9.9 Marine Neritic - Seagrass (Submerged)
- 10 Marine Oceanic
- 10.1 Marine Oceanic - Epipelagic (0-200m)
- 10.2 Marine Oceanic - Mesopelagic (200-1000m) [more info]
- Breeding Habitat : N/A
- Nest Location: N/A
- Nest Type: N/A
- Clutch Size: N/A
- Length of Incubation : ? days
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Fürbringer, 1888
- (Fürbringer, 1888)
- Suborder: Procellarae () - Gadow, 1893
- Order: Procellariiformes () - (Fürbringer, 1888)
- Superorder: Procellariimorphae () - Fürbringer, 1888
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Puffinus tenuirostris (Temminck, 1835)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 13-Jun-2007
Extremely similar and much more common Sooty Shearwater has a less rounded head with a more gradual slope to the forehead. Sometimes Sooty Shearwaters have paler wing linings and appear slightly larger. Flesh-footed Shearwater has a pale bill and feet. Dark Norther Fulmars are much stockier with yellow bills. Immature gulls are superficially similar but can be separated at great distances by their different flight styles. Shearwaters fly closer to the surface of the water, often disappearing behind swells, alternating flaps with long glides on downcurved wings.
Members of the genus Puffinus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 33 species and subspecies in this genus:
P. assimilis (Allied Shearwater) · P. assimilis assimilis (Little Shearwater) · P. atrodorsalis (Mascarene Shearwater) · P. auricularis ('a'o) · P. auricularis auricularis (Newell's Townsend's Shearwater) · P. auricularis newelli (Manx) · P. bannermani (Bannerman's Shearwater) · P. bulleri (Grey-Backed Shearwater) · P. carneipes (Flesh-Footed Shearwater) · P. creatopus (Pink-Footed Shearwater) · (Fluttering Shearwater) · P. gavia gavia (Fluttering Shearwater) · P. gravis (Common Atlantic Shearwater) · P. griseus (Dark-Bodied Shearwater) · P. heinrothi (Heinroth's Shearwater) · P. huttoni (Hutton's Shearwater) · P. iherminieri (Audubon's Shearwater) · P. lherminieri (Bannerman's Shearwater) · P. lherminieri lherminieri (Mascarene Shearwater) · P. lherminieri persicus (Audubon's Shearwater) · P. lherminieri subalaris (Audubon's Shearwater) · P. mauretanicus (Balearic Shearwater) · P. nativitatis (Christmas Island Shearwater) · P. newelli (Newell's Shearwater) · P. opisthomelas (Black-Vented Shearwater) · P. pacificus (Wedge-Tailed Shearwater) · P. persicus (Audubon's Shearwater) · P. puffinus (Black-Vented Shearwater) · P. puffinus opisthomelas (Manx Shearwater) · P. puffinus puffinus (Manx Shearwater) · P. puffinus yelkouan (Manx Shearwater) · P. tenuirostris (Slender-Billed Shearwater) · P. yelkouan (Mediterranean Shearwater)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A check list of North American birds. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url p. 129.
- A hand-list of the birds of Japan, by M. Ogawa. [Tokyo]1908. url p. 340.
- A handbook of the birds of Tasmania and its dependencies. Launceston, Tasmania, The author, 1910. url .
- A manual of palæarctic birds, by H. E. Dresser. London, The author, 1902-03. url p. 853.
- A study of the incubation periods of birds; what determines their lengths, Denver, Col., The Kendrick-Bellamy Co., 1917. url .
- A systematic list of the birds of California / by Joseph Grinnell. Hollywood: Cooper Ornithological Club, 1912. url p. 7.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 76.
- Austral avian record; a scientific journal devoted primarily to the study of the Australian avifauna. London: Witherby. url p. 21.
- Aves polynesiae: a catalogue of the birds of the Polynesian subregion / by Lionel K. Wiglesworth. Berlin: R. Friedlaender & Sohn, 1891. url p. 80.
- Beached marine birds and mammals of the North American West Coast: a manual for their census and identification / by David G. Ainley. .. [et al.] Pt. Reyes Bird Observatory; with drawings by Helen C. Strong; performed for National Coastal Ecosystems Team, Office of Biological Services, Fish and Wildlife Service [Washington, D.C.]: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O.,  url p. 120, p. 201.
- Birds of California: an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies / Chicago: A.C. McClurg, 1912, c1903. url .
- Birds of California; an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies, Chicago, A.C. McClurg, 1916. url .
- Birds of Labrador / Boston: Boston Society of Natural History, 1907. url .
- Birds of Labrador / by Charles W. Townsend and Glover M. Allen. Boston: Printed for the Society, 1907. url p. 320.
- Birds of Oregon, by Ira N. Gabrielson. .. and Stanley G. Jewett. .. Corvallis, Or., Pub. by Oregon State College through the O.S.C. Cooperative Association[c1940] url , p. 81.
- Birds of the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangel Island = (Ptitsy Chukotskogo poluostrova i ostrova Vrangelya) / L.A. Portenko; translated from Russian [by P.M. Rao]. New Delhi: Published for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C., by Amerind Pub. Co., 1981- url p. 341, p. 367, p. 376.
- Birds'-nesting: a handbook of instruction in gathering and preserving the nests and eggs of birds for the purposes of study / by Ernest Ingersoll. Boston [Mass.]: S.E. Cassino, 1883, c1882. url p. 96.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 175, p. 316, p. 323, p. 337, p. 54, p. 69, p. 90, p. 94, p. 96.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 228.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1950-1977. url p. 4.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 368.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences. Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1902-1971. url p. 17, p. 5.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 119.
- Catalogue of British Columbia birds. Victoria, B.C., Printed by R. Wolfenden, 1904. url , .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, Ottawa, Government Printing Bureau, 1909. url .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds. .. Ottawa, Printed by S. E. Dawson, 1900-04. url .
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 69.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 126, p. 328.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 126.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 389.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 155.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 155.
- Check-list and bibliography on the occurrence of insects in birds' nests. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 326, p. 571.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 7.
- Check-list of North American birds, prepared by a committee of the American Ornithologists' Union. New York, American Ornithologists' Union, 1910. url p. 53.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 23.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 94.
- Color key to North American birds, with bibliographical appendix, by Frank M. Chapman. .. with upwards of 800 drawings, by Chester A. Reed, B.S. New York, D. Appleton & Company, 1912. url p. 64, p. 64.
- Conservation of marine birds of northern North America: papers from the international symposium held at the Seattle Hyatt House, Seattle, Washington, 13-15 May 1975 / edited by James C. Bartonek and David N. Nettleship; sponsored by Natural Resources Council of America. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, 1979. url , p. 139, p. 173, p. 175, p. 185, p. 204, p. 226.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 29, p. 776.
- Effects of man's activities on the marine environment: prepared at the request of Hon. Warren G. Magnuson, chairman, Committee on Commerce, and Hon. Ernest F. Hollings, chairman, National Ocean Policy Study, for the use of the Committee on Commerce and th [prepared by James E. Miekle]. Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1975. url p. 6.
- Eggs of North American birds; by Chas. J. Maynard. Illustrated with ten hand-colored plates. Boston, De Wolfe, Fiske & co., 1890. url p. 15.
- Explorations in the far North being a report of an expedition under the auspices of the University of Iowa during the years 1892, '93, and '94 / by Frank Russell. [Iowa City?]: State University of Iowa, 1898. url .
- Explorations in the far North, [Iowa City?]The University, 1898. url .
- Explorations in the far North, by Frank Russell. Being the report of an expedition under the auspices of the University of Iowa during the years 1892, '93, and '94. [Iowa City?]The University, 1898. url p. 289.
- Fauna of the Aleutian Islands and Alaska Peninsula, by Olaus J. Murie. Invertebrates and fishes collected in the Aleutians, 1936-38, by Victor B. Scheffer. Washington, Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1959 url , p. 41.
- Field book of birds of the Panama Canal Zone; a description on the habits, call notes and songs of the birds of the Panama Canal Zone, for the purpose of identifying them. Many of these birds are also common in Central and South America. By Bertha Bement Sturgis; with over 100 illustrations, colour plates, pen-and-ink sketches, and a map of the Panama Canal Zone. London, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1928. url , .
- Field book of birds of the southwestern United States, by sqther E. Wyman. .. and Elizabeth F. Burnell. .. Boston, Houghton Mifflin Company, 1925. url p. 256, p. 28.
- Field ornithology. Comprising a manual of instruction for procuring, preparing and preserving birds, and a check list of North American birds Salem [Mass.]Naturalists' Agency, 1874 url p. 111.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url p. 738.
- Game, shore, and water birds of India, with additional references to their allied species in other parts of the world. London, W. Thacker, 1904. url .
- Genera insectorum / publiés par P. Wytsman. Bruxelles, L. Desmet-Verteneuil [etc.]1902-1970. url p. 38, p. 41.
- Guide to taxidermy, by Chas. K. Reed and Chester A. Reed. Illustrated by drawings and photographs of mounted specimens by the authors and Mr. N. F. Stone. Worcester, Mass., C.K. Reed, 1914. url p. 240.
- Handbook of birds of the western United States: including the Great Plains, Great Basin, Pacific Slope, and lower Rio Grande Valley / by Florence Merriam Bailey. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1915, c1902. url p. 37, p. 495.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 374.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url .
- IUCN Directory of Protected Areas in Oceania IUCN url p. 318, p. 445.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url , , p. 209, p. 356, p. 598, p. 608.
- Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington [etc., Washington Academy of Sciences] url p. 203.
- Life histories of North American petrels and pelicans and their allies: order Tubinares and order Steganopodes / Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1922. url , .
- Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, at Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass. 13 1884 Cambridge [Mass.]: The Museum, 1876-1940. url p. 377, p. 377, p. 392, fig. in text, page 392.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 241, p. 245, p. 26.
- Memories of the months. Fifth series, by the Right Hon. Sir Herbert Maxwell, bart. London: E. Arnold, 1909. url p. 11.
- Migration of birds. by Frederick C. Linclon; revised by Steven R. Peterson; associate editor Peter A. Anastasi; illustrated by Bob Hines. Washington: Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service: for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1979. url p. 117.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 753, p. 753.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 228.
- New North American fleas. 29 1944 Chicago, 1944 url p. 227.
- Nomenclature of North American birds chiefly contained in the United States National Museum. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1881. url , .
- North American birds eggs. New York: Dover Pub, . url p. 51.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url , p. 24, p. 252, p. 39, p. 39, p. 393, p. 393, p. 41, p. 41, p. 54, p. 85.
- Occasional papers - San Diego Society of Natural History. 1959 San Diego, The Society. url p. 4.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 100.
- Oceanic birds of South America: a study of species of the related coasts and seas, including the American quadrant of Antarctica, based upon the Brewster-Sanford collection in the American Museum of Natural History / by Robert Cushman Murphy; illustrated from paintings by Francis L. Jaques; photographs, maps, and other drawings. New York: Macmillan Co.: c1936. url p. 666, p. 671, p. 673, p. xii.
- Ornithological notes from Point Barrow, Alaska, by Louis B. Bishop. 29 1944 Chicago, 1944 url p. 183.
- Our living world; an artistic edition of the Rev. J. G. Wood's Natural history of animate creation. New York: S. Hess,  url p. 660.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 19, p. 19, p. 27, p. 7, p. 72, p. 79.
- Papers and proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. Hobart, Tasmania, The Society. url p. 289, p. 99.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 138, p. 14, p. 18, p. 19, p. 36, p. 62, p. 66.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 126, p. 126, p. 85, p. 85.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 138, p. 139, p. 14, p. 163, p. 18, p. 19, p. 62, p. 66.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url , , p. 187, p. 195, p. 198, p. 210, p. 648, p. 721.
- Proceedings of the Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales. Mosman, New South Wales [etc.]The Society. url p. 11, p. 14, p. 48.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 10 1887 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 125, p. 19, p. 209, p. 222, p. 270, p. 40, p. 490, p. 59, p. 60.
- Proceedings of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington, Washington Academy of Sciences. url p. 482.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 330.
- Proceedings of the eighth Pacific Science Congress of the Pacific Science Association: held at the University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City, 16th to 28th November 1953 / under the auspices of the National Research Council of the Philippines and the Republic of the Philippines. Quezon City: National Research Council of the Philippines, University of the Philippines, 1955. url p. 482.
- Report of the Australian Association for the advancement of Science. Sidney, The Association. url p. 151, p. 741.
- Report on the collections of natural history made in the Antarctic regions during the voyage of the "Southern Cross." London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1902. url p. 159, p. 159.
- Results of the second joint U.S.-U.S.S.R. Bering Sea Expedition Summer 1984 [Moscow?]: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; 1990 url p. 197.
- Results of the third joint US-USSR Bering & Chukchi Seas expedition (BERPAC): Summer 1988 / John F. Turner, . .. [et al.]; P.A. Nagel, editor. Washington, DC: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1992. url p. 383, p. 395.
- Sex and internal secretions. Contributors: A. Albert [and others] Foreword by George W. Corner. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1961. url p. 1360.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 66 1917 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 16, p. 209, p. 222, p. 230, p. 36, p. 9.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url p. 34.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 6.
- Techniques for shipboard surveys of marine birds / by Patrick J. Gould and Douglas J. Forsell. Springfield, VA: National Technical Information Service [distributor], 1989. url p. 3.
- The Aleutian islands: their people and natural history (with keys for the identification of the birds and plants) City of Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1945. url p. 77.
- The American oologists' exchange price list of North American birds' eggs, 1922 / compiled by a committee of twenty-five prominent American oologists. Lacon, Ill.: R. Magoon Barnes, 1922. url p. 45.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url , p. 125, p. 171, p. 197, p. 216, p. 251, p. 321, p. 485.
- The Australian zoologist. Sydney, Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales url p. 160, p. 41.
- The Avicultural magazine. Ascot, Berkshire, etc.: Avicultural Society, etc. url p. 315.
- The Canadian bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred north American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Toronto: Musson Book Co., c1914. url p. 66.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 11, p. 226, p. 373, p. 45, p. 87.
- The Coues check list of North American birds. Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url p. 129.
- The Emu: official organ of the Australasian Ornithologists' Union. Melbourne: Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union, 1901- url , p. 128, p. 160, p. 192, p. 20, p. 206, p. 208, p. 209, p. 217, p. 288, p. 35, p. 42, p. 73, p. 91, p. 94.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 3126.
- The Natural history of Enewetak Atoll / edited by Dennis M. Devaney. .. [et al.]; prepared by Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Department of Energy. Oak Ridge, Tenn.: U.S. Dept. of Energy, Office of Energy Research, Office of Health and Environmental Research, Ecological Research Division, c1987. url p. 331.
- The Victorian naturalist. [Melbourne]Field Naturalists Club of Victoria. url p. 4, p. 58.
- The bird book, illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs, Worcester, Mass., C. K. Reed, 1914. url .
- The bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds; also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1915. url p. 66.
- The birds of Australia, London [etc.]Whitcombe and Tombs Limited, 1911. url , .
- The birds of North America: one hundred and nineteen artistic colored plates representing the different species and varieties drawn and colored from nature: including a copious text giving a popular account of their habits and 1903 New York: Published under the auspices of the Natural Science Association of America, 1903. url p. 161.
- The birds of the Japanese Empire. London, R. H. Porter, 1890. url , p. 267.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 102, p. 102.
- The history of the collections contained in the natural history departments of the British Museum. by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London, 1906. url p. 152.
- The oologists' hand-book: 1885 catalogue of American birds' eggs, and oological supplies, with prices at which they may be obtained of / Frank H. Lattin. Rochester (N.Y.): John P. Smith, Printer, 1885. url p. 59.
- The zoology of the voyage of the H.M.S. Erebus & Terror, under the command of Captain Sir James Clark Ross, during the years 1839 to 1843. By authority of the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty. Edited by John Richardson and John Edward Gray. 1 London, E. W. Janson, 1844-1875. url p. 33.
- Transactions and proceedings of the New Zealand Institute. Wellington: New Zealand Institute. url p. 212, p. 234, p. 32, p. 57, p. 89.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London. London: [The Society], 1879- url p. 109.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 3 1951 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 21, p. 31.
- Wanderings of a naturalist, by Seton Gordon...with 78 illustrations from photographs by the author and his wife. London, New York [etc.]: Cassell and company ltd., 1921. url p. 76.
- BirdLife International 2004. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 18, 2008.
- BirdLife International 2009. Puffinus tenuirostris. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 04February2012.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 10, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 15 providers.
- Hines, J. E., Gregory Gough, J. R. Sauer, et al. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- Peterson, Alan P. Zoological Nomenclature Resource. Accessed June 19, 2009.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- Sauer, J. R., J. E. Hines, and J. Fallon. 2005. The North American Breeding Bird Survey, Results and Analysis 1966 - 2004. Version 2005.2. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
- Sauer, J. R., S. Schwartz, and B. Hoover. 1996. The Christmas Bird Count Home Page. Version 95.1. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 10, 2008:
- Australian Antarctic Data Centre: Seabirds of the Southern and South Indian Ocean
- Avian Knowledge Network: eBird
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum: Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Bird Studies Canada: BC Coastal Waterbird Survey
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds (Aves)
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Royal British Columbia Museum
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Bird Collection
- Cornell University Museum of Vertebrates: Bird Collection
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: North Pacific Groundfish Observer (North Pacific Research Board)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: SEAMAP - marine mammals, birds and turtles
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB: Paleobiology Database
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University: MCZ Ornithology Collection
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology: Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- OZCAM (Online Zoological Collections of Australian Museums) Provider: Online Zoological Collections of Australian Museums
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History: Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- UCLA-Dickey Bird Collection (UCLA-Dickey): Bird specimens
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ): Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 9046
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-174554
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13740316
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 174554
- IUCN ID: 238078
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNDB07070
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 6350
- Mean = -3,354.020 meters (-11,004.003 feet), Standard Deviation = 1,366.610 based on 8,324 observations. Ocean depth information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- BirdLife International 2009. Puffinus tenuirostris. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 04 February 2012. [back]