Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Afrikaans:
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Black-vented Shearwater, common shearwater, manx shearwater
Common Names in French:
puffin des anglais
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Spanish:
Common Names in Swedish:
Adult : Head : Cap: black Face : Chin: white Bill: black Shape : hooked Neck: Collar : slight half-collar invading upward from below Throat : white Body: Underparts: white Upperparts: blackish Legs : Foot Color: pink with blue webbing Leg Color: pinkish gray Wings : Undersides: white.
About 12 to 15 inches long, with a wingspan of 33 to 35 inches. Adults weigh about 16 ounces .
species is mainly found on waters over the continental
shelf, feeding mainly on small shoaling fish
but also on some squid,
crustaceans and offal
is caught mainly by pursuit-plunging
and pursuit-diving, either alone or in small flocks. Breeding starts
in March, forming colonies on coastal or offshore islands, nesting
List of Habitats :
- 9 Marine Neritic
- 9.1 Marine Neritic - Pelagic
- 9.2 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Rock and Rocky Reefs
- 9.3 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Loose Rock/pebble/gravel
- 9.4 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy
- 9.5 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy-Mud
- 9.7 Marine Neritic - Macroalgal/Kelp
- 9.9 Marine Neritic - Seagrass (Submerged)
- 10 Marine Oceanic
- 10.1 Marine Oceanic - Epipelagic (0-200m)
- 10.2 Marine Oceanic - Mesopelagic (200-1000m)
- 13 Marine Coastal/Supratidal
- 13.1 Marine Coastal/Supratidal - Sea Cliffs and Rocky Offshore Islands [more info]
Mostly: Fish Aquatic Invertebrates Carrion
- Clutch Size: 1
- Length of Incubation : 50-54 days
- Days to Fledge : 70-75
- Number of Broods: 1
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Fürbringer, 1888
- (Fürbringer, 1888)
- Suborder: Procellarae () - Gadow, 1893
- Order: Procellariiformes () - (Fürbringer, 1888)
- Superorder: Procellariimorphae () - Fürbringer, 1888
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Puffinus puffinus (Brunnich, 1764) • Puffinus puffinus (Brünnich, 1764)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 13-Jun-2007
Audubon's Shearwater, Black-Vented Shearwater
Members of the genus Puffinus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 33 species and subspecies in this genus:
P. assimilis (Allied Shearwater) · P. assimilis assimilis (Little Shearwater) · P. atrodorsalis (Mascarene Shearwater) · P. auricularis ('a'o) · P. auricularis auricularis (Newell's Townsend's Shearwater) · P. auricularis newelli (Manx) · P. bannermani (Bannerman's Shearwater) · P. bulleri (Grey-Backed Shearwater) · P. carneipes (Flesh-Footed Shearwater) · P. creatopus (Pink-Footed Shearwater) · (Fluttering Shearwater) · P. gavia gavia (Fluttering Shearwater) · P. gravis (Common Atlantic Shearwater) · P. griseus (Dark-Bodied Shearwater) · P. heinrothi (Heinroth's Shearwater) · P. huttoni (Hutton's Shearwater) · P. iherminieri (Audubon's Shearwater) · P. lherminieri (Bannerman's Shearwater) · P. lherminieri lherminieri (Mascarene Shearwater) · P. lherminieri persicus (Audubon's Shearwater) · P. lherminieri subalaris (Audubon's Shearwater) · P. mauretanicus (Balearic Shearwater) · P. nativitatis (Christmas Island Shearwater) · P. newelli (Newell's Shearwater) · P. opisthomelas (Black-Vented Shearwater) · P. pacificus (Wedge-Tailed Shearwater) · P. persicus (Audubon's Shearwater) · P. puffinus (Black-Vented Shearwater) · P. puffinus opisthomelas (Manx Shearwater) · P. puffinus puffinus (Manx Shearwater) · P. puffinus yelkouan (Manx Shearwater) · P. tenuirostris (Slender-Billed Shearwater) · P. yelkouan (Mediterranean Shearwater)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of Canadian birds with notes on the distribution of the species / by Montague Chamberlain. Saint John, N.B.: J. McMillan, 1887. url p. 15.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds, By Montague Chamberlain. Saint John, N.B., J. & A. McMillan, 1887. url p. 15, p. 15.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds: with notes on the distribution of the species / Saint John, N.B.: J. & A. McMillan, 1887. url .
- A classification of living animals. New York, Wiley url p. 42.
- A hand-book to the birds of Great Britain / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London: E. Lloyd, 1896-1897. url p. 160, p. 163, p. 167.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 153.
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. .. London, Pub. for the author by R.H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url p. 416.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url p. 285, p. 397, p. 430.
- A list of the birds of eastern North America / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: For sale by B. Whidden, 1896. url p. 7.
- A popular handbook of the birds of the United States and Canada / Boston: Little, Brown, 1905, c1903. url .
- A popular handbook of the ornithology of eastern North America by Thomas Nuttall; rev. and annotated by Montague Chamberlain. Boston: Little, Brown, 1891. url .
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York City, for the official year. . [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932] url p. 68.
- Ardea. Amsterdam, etc., Nederlandse Ornithlogische Unie, etc. url p. 140.
- Beached marine birds and mammals of the North American West Coast: a manual for their census and identification / by David G. Ainley. .. [et al.] Pt. Reyes Bird Observatory; with drawings by Helen C. Strong; performed for National Coastal Ecosystems Team, Office of Biological Services, Fish and Wildlife Service [Washington, D.C.]: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O.,  url p. 120, p. 152, p. 201.
- Biodiversity trends and threats in Europe: development and test of a species trend indicator RIVM, UNEP-WCMC url p. 44.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 5, October 1990: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN url p. 83.
- Bird-lore. New York, National Association of Audubon Societies. url p. 187.
- Birds of Labrador / Boston: Boston Society of Natural History, 1907. url .
- Birds of Labrador / by Charles W. Townsend and Glover M. Allen. Boston: Printed for the Society, 1907. url p. 320.
- Birds of New York / by Elon Howard Eaton. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1910-1914. url p. 157.
- Birds of New York, by Elon Howard Eaton. .. Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14. url p. 157.
- Birds of the New York city region, by Ludlow Griscom, assistant curator of ornithology, with the cooperation of the Linnæan society of New York. .. New York, The Museum, 1923. url p. 84.
- Birds of the world for young people, New York, F.A. Stokes Company url , .
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 108, p. 415, p. 50, p. 71.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 203.
- Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club. London: The Club, 1893- url p. 158.
- Catalogue of British Birds in the Collection of the British Museum / by G.R. Gray. London, 1863. url p. 222.
- Catalogue of British birds in the collection of the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the trustees, 1863. url .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, Ottawa, Government Printing Bureau, 1909. url .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds. .. Ottawa, Printed by S. E. Dawson, 1900-04. url .
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 63, p. 65, p. 70.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 378.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 153.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 153, p. 154.
- Check-list and bibliography on the occurrence of insects in birds' nests. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 571.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 407.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 16, p. 17, p. 678, p. 682.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 24, p. 25.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 57, p. 95.
- Checklists for the CORINE Biotopes Programme and its application in the PHARE countries of Central and East Europe: including comparisons with relevant conventions and agreements on the conservation of European species and habitats EC url p. 8.
- Conservation of marine birds of northern North America: papers from the international symposium held at the Seattle Hyatt House, Seattle, Washington, 13-15 May 1975 / edited by James C. Bartonek and David N. Nettleship; sponsored by Natural Resources Council of America. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, 1979. url p. 154, p. 223.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url .
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 16, p. 24.
- Fauna of New England, 11: list of the aves / by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 222.
- Fauna of New England. by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 222.
- Fleas, flukes & cuckoos; a study of bird parasites, by Miriam Rothschild and Theresa Clay. New York, Macmillan, 1957. url p. 291, p. 304.
- Guide to taxidermy, by Chas. K. Reed and Chester A. Reed. Illustrated by drawings and photographs of mounted specimens by the authors and Mr. N. F. Stone. Worcester, Mass., C.K. Reed, 1914. url p. 240.
- Hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. London, Allen, 1894-97. url p. 160, p. 160, p. 163, p. 163, p. 167, p. 167.
- Handbook of birds of eastern North America; with introductory chapters on the study of birds in nature, London, D. Appleton and Company, 1912. url .
- Handlist of the birds of Egypt by M.J. Nicoll. Cairo, Government Press, 1919. url p. 113.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 181, p. 37.
- Insects of Porto Rico and the Virgin Islands. New York, The Academy. url p. 245, p. 276.
- Life histories of North American petrels and pelicans and their allies: order Tubinares and order Steganopodes / Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1922. url .
- MAB Biosphere Reserves: Site Descriptions, post compilation 5 (October 1990) UNESCO MAB Programme url .
- MAB Information System: Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: Supplement September 1989 UNESCO url .
- Memoirs of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1886- url p. 346, p. 45.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 27.
- Migration of birds. by Frederick C. Linclon; revised by Steven R. Peterson; associate editor Peter A. Anastasi; illustrated by Bob Hines. Washington: Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service: for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1979. url p. 117.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 49.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 753.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds / Columbus [Ohio]: Hann & Adair, 1889. url .
- North American birds eggs. New York: Dover Pub, . url p. 49.
- Oceanic birds of South America: a study of species of the related coasts and seas, including the American quadrant of Antarctica, based upon the Brewster-Sanford collection in the American Museum of Natural History / by Robert Cushman Murphy; illustrated from paintings by Francis L. Jaques; photographs, maps, and other drawings. New York: Macmillan Co.: c1936. url p. 1207, p. 168, p. 189.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 15, p. 16, p. 20, p. 21, p. 59.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 575, p. 578, p. 579, p. 581.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 15, p. 16, p. 163, p. 20, p. 21, p. 59, p. 60.
- Proceedings of the International Ornithological Congress. [Canberra, etc.]: Australian Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 390.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 25, p. 519.
- Proceedings of the eighth Pacific Science Congress of the Pacific Science Association: held at the University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City, 16th to 28th November 1953 / under the auspices of the National Research Council of the Philippines and the Republic of the Philippines. Quezon City: National Research Council of the Philippines, University of the Philippines, 1955. url p. 483.
- Protected Landscapes: experience around the world. Prepared for the International Symposium on Protected Landscapes, Grange-over-Sands, England 5-10 October 1987 IUCN url p. 85.
- Reports of the Princeton University Expeditions to Patagonia, 1896-1899. J. B. Hatcher in charge. Edited by William B. Scott. Princeton, The University, 1901-32 [v. 1, 1903] url p. 128.
- Sea-birds: an introduction to the natural history of the sea-birds of the North Atlantic / by James Fisher and R. M. Lockley. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin, 1954. url p. 12, p. 292, p. 307, p. 311, p. 314.
- Sketch-book of British birds / by R. Bowdler Sharpe; with coloured illustrations by A.F. and C. Lydon. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1898. url p. 219, p. 252.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 131 1958 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 10, p. 13, p. 16, p. 16, p. 41, p. 8, p. 9.
- Supplement to the birds of Essex County, Massachusetts / Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1920. url .
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 6.
- System of ophthalmology. St. Louis, Mosby, 1958- url p. 814.
- The American oologists' exchange price list of North American birds' eggs, 1922 / compiled by a committee of twenty-five prominent American oologists. Lacon, Ill.: R. Magoon Barnes, 1922. url p. 45.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 206, p. 208, p. 339, p. 34, p. 357, p. 443, p. 472, p. 475.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 470.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 42 1928 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 173, p. 203, p. 206, p. 23, p. 260, p. 280, p. 293, p. 466, p. 676.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url p. 46.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 688.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 36 1954 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 77.
- The Warbler. Floral Park: Mayflower Pub. Co., [1903-1913] url p. 69.
- The bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds; also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1915. url p. 64.
- The birds of Britain: their distribution and habits / Cambridge [England]: Cambridge University Press, 1916. url , .
- The birds of Essex County, Massachusetts. By Charles Wendell Townsend, M.D. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1905. url p. 108, p. 346.
- The birds of Greenland. Boston, Little, Brown and Company[c1891] url , .
- The birds of Massachusetts, Cambridge, Mass., 1901. url .
- The birds of Massachusetts, by Reginald Heber Howe and Glover Morrill Allen. Cambridge, Mass., 1901. url p. 22.
- The birds of eastern North America known to occur east of the nineteenth meridian. .. By Charles B. Cory. Boston, Bay State Pub. Co., 1900, c1899. url p. 331, p. 48.
- The birds of eastern North America: known to occur east of the ninetieth meridian / by Charles B. Cory. Chicago: Field Columbian Museum, 1899. url p. 331.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 100, p. 100, p. 100.
- The faunal connections between Europe and North America. New York, Wiley url p. 23.
- The standard catalogue of North American birds eggs. Albion, N.Y., F.H. Lattin, 1892. url p. 8.
- The vertebrate fauna of Cheshire and Liverpool Bay / London: Witherby, 1910. url p. 457.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 17 1974 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 228, p. 413, fig. 5, page 7.
- World Checklist of Threatened Birds Joint Nature Conservation Committee url p. 277.
- BirdLife International 2009. Puffinus puffinus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 04February2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 17, 2007:
- Avian Knowledge Network, eBird
- Berkeley Natural History Museums, University of California Museum of Paleontology DiGIR provider
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- Canadian Museum of Nature, Canadian Museum of Nature Bird Collection
- EMAN Provider, PIROP
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Atlantic Canada Conservation Data Centre
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Bay of Fundy Species List
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Taxonomic Information Sytem for the Belgian coastal area
- Israel Nature and Parks Authority, Israel Nature and Parks Authority
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- New Brunswick Museum, NBM birds
- Senckenberg, Collection Aves
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility, Western Palearctic migrants in continental Africa
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Birds
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 9048
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-174555
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13740316
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 174555
- IUCN ID: 238077
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNDB07090
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 6351