Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Afrikaans:
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
black hag, black hagdon, dark-bodied shearwater, sooty shearwater, spectral shearwater
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hebrew:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Pardela gris, Pardela sombria
Common Names in Swedish:
Adult : Bill: blackish Length : long Shape : slender Legs : Foot Color: dusky Wings : Shape: long, slender.
About 16 to 20 inches long, with a wingspan of 37 to 43 inches. Adults weigh about 28.8 ounces .
Vegetation: freshwater marshes, pelagic waters • Foraging Strata: Water • Center of Abundance: Lower subtropical: lowlands, lower than 500 m.; subtropics. • Sensitivity to Disturbance: High
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 382 meters (0 to 1,253 feet).
on islands and headlands in large colonies. Burrows are
dug for breeding under tussock
, low scrub
and on the Snares
Islands under Olearia forest
. Birds typically do not return
to their natal
colonies until age four. It feeds
on fish, crustacea
, caught while diving. Short (1-3 days) and long (5-15
days) provisioning trips
are made by parents; longer
along the Antarctic
Front, reducing competition
to breeding grounds
and allowing vast colonies to persist.
List of Habitats :
- 4 Grassland
- 4.4 Grassland - Temperate
- 9 Marine Neritic
- 9.1 Marine Neritic - Pelagic
- 9.2 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Rock and Rocky Reefs
- 9.3 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Loose Rock/pebble/gravel
- 9.4 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy
- 9.5 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy-Mud
- 9.7 Marine Neritic - Macroalgal/Kelp
- 9.9 Marine Neritic - Seagrass (Submerged)
- 10 Marine Oceanic
- 10.1 Marine Oceanic - Epipelagic (0-200m)
- 10.2 Marine Oceanic - Mesopelagic (200-1000m) [more info]
- Clutch Size: 1
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Fürbringer, 1888
- (Fürbringer, 1888)
- Suborder: Procellarae () - Gadow, 1893
- Order: Procellariiformes () - (Fürbringer, 1888)
- Superorder: Procellariimorphae () - Fürbringer, 1888
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Puffinus griseus (Gmelin, 1789) • Puffinus griseus (J. F. Gmelin, 1789) • Puffinus griseus Gmelin 1789
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 13-Jun-2007
Members of the genus Puffinus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 33 species and subspecies in this genus:
P. assimilis (Allied Shearwater) · P. assimilis assimilis (Little Shearwater) · P. atrodorsalis (Mascarene Shearwater) · P. auricularis ('a'o) · P. auricularis auricularis (Newell's Townsend's Shearwater) · P. auricularis newelli (Manx) · P. bannermani (Bannerman's Shearwater) · P. bulleri (Grey-Backed Shearwater) · P. carneipes (Flesh-Footed Shearwater) · P. creatopus (Pink-Footed Shearwater) · (Fluttering Shearwater) · P. gavia gavia (Fluttering Shearwater) · P. gravis (Common Atlantic Shearwater) · P. griseus (Dark-Bodied Shearwater) · P. heinrothi (Heinroth's Shearwater) · P. huttoni (Hutton's Shearwater) · P. iherminieri (Audubon's Shearwater) · P. lherminieri (Bannerman's Shearwater) · P. lherminieri lherminieri (Mascarene Shearwater) · P. lherminieri persicus (Audubon's Shearwater) · P. lherminieri subalaris (Audubon's Shearwater) · P. mauretanicus (Balearic Shearwater) · P. nativitatis (Christmas Island Shearwater) · P. newelli (Newell's Shearwater) · P. opisthomelas (Black-Vented Shearwater) · P. pacificus (Wedge-Tailed Shearwater) · P. persicus (Audubon's Shearwater) · P. puffinus (Black-Vented Shearwater) · P. puffinus opisthomelas (Manx Shearwater) · P. puffinus puffinus (Manx Shearwater) · P. puffinus yelkouan (Manx Shearwater) · P. tenuirostris (Slender-Billed Shearwater) · P. yelkouan (Mediterranean Shearwater)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url .
- A List of British birds / London: John Van Voorst, 1883. url , .
- A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity / By Francis B. Sumner, Raymond C. Osburn, and Leon J. Cole. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1913 url p. 778, p. 855.
- A birdlover's year. London: Nash, 1915. url p. 31.
- A catalogue of the birds of Norfolk / by J.H. Gurney, Jun. London: Printed by Wertheimer, Lea and Co., 1884. url p. 41.
- A geographical bibliography of British ornithology from the earliest time to the end of 1918, arranged under counties, being a record of printed books, published articles, notes and records relating to local avifauna, by W. H. Mullens, H. Kirke Swann, F. C. R. Jourdain. London, Witherby, 1920. url p. 355, p. 355.
- A glossary of popular, local and old-fashioned names, of British birds; London: H. Sotheran & Co., 1902. url p. 16, p. 98.
- A hand-book to the birds of Great Britain / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London: E. Lloyd, 1896-1897. url p. 169.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 152.
- A hand-list of the birds of Japan, by M. Ogawa. [Tokyo]1908. url p. 340.
- A handbook of British birds, showing the distribution of the resident and migratory species in the British islands, with an index to the records of the rarer visitants, by J.E. Harting. .. London, J.C. Nimmo, 1901. url p. 488.
- A handbook of European birds for the use of field naturalists and collectors. By James Backhouse. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1890. url p. 300.
- A handbook of the vertebrate fauna of Yorkshire: being a catalogue of British mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fishes / by Wm. Eagle Clarke, and Wm. Denison Roebuck. London: Reeve, 1881. url p. 85.
- A history of British birds / by William Yarrell, V.P.L.S., F.Z.S. London: John van Voorst, 1871-1885. url p. 13, p. 17, p. 17.
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. .. London, Pub. for the author by R.H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url p. 427.
- A history of British birds. London, J. Van Voorst, 1871-85. url p. 13.
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url , , p. 523, p. 528, p. 531.
- A list of British birds / compiled by a committee of the British Ornithologists' Union. London: J. van Voorst, 1883. url p. 198.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url p. 286.
- A list of European birds, including all those found in the western palaearctic area, with a supplement containing species said to have occurred, but which, for various reasons, are inadmissible. London, R.H. Porter, 1898. url p. 59.
- A list of European birds: including all species found in the western palaearctic region: the nomenclature carefully revised / by Henry E. Dresser. London: H.E. Dresser, 1881. url p. 37.
- A manual of North American birds by Robert Ridgway. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1887. url .
- A manual of North American birds. By Robert Ridgway. Illustrated by 464 outline drawings of the generic characters. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott Company, 1887. url p. 61.
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Co., 1900. url p. 61.
- A manual of palæarctic birds, by H. E. Dresser. London, The author, 1902-03. url p. 851.
- A pocket list of the birds of eastern Massachusetts, with especial reference to Essex County, by Albert P. Morse. .. Salem, Mass., Peabody academy of science, 1912. url p. 16.
- A pocket-book of British birds, by E.F.M. Elms. London: West, Newman & co. [etc.], 1906. url p. 142.
- A popular handbook of the birds of the United States and Canada / Boston: Little, Brown, 1921. url .
- A popular handbook of the ornithology of the United States and Canada: based on Nuttall's Manual / by Montague Chamberlain. Boston: Little, B., & Co., 1903. url p. 275.
- A study of the structure of feathers, with reference to their taxonomic significance, by Asa C. Chandler. Berkeley, University of California press, 1916. url p. 406.
- A systematic list of the birds of California / by Joseph Grinnell. Hollywood: Cooper Ornithological Club, 1912. url p. 7.
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York City, for the official year. . [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932] url p. 22, p. 48.
- Advances in herpetology and evolutionary biology: essays in honor of Ernest E. Williams / Cambridge, Mass.: Museum of Comparative Zoology, 1983. url p. 620.
- Annals of the South African Museum. Annale van die Suid-Afrikaanse Museum. Cape Town [etc., South African Museum, etc.] url p. 363.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 105, p. 158, p. 159.
- Annual report of the Laguna Marine Laboratory / Pomona College. Claremont, Calif.: Dept. of Biology, Pomona College, 1912- url p. 46.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 68.
- Beached marine birds and mammals of the North American West Coast: a manual for their census and identification / by David G. Ainley. .. [et al.] Pt. Reyes Bird Observatory; with drawings by Helen C. Strong; performed for National Coastal Ecosystems Team, Office of Biological Services, Fish and Wildlife Service [Washington, D.C.]: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O.,  url p. 120, p. 201.
- Bird guide: water birds, game birds and birds of prey / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1916, c1910. url p. 61.
- Birds / by A.H. Evans. London: Macmillan, 1899 (1909 printing). url p. 624, p. 66.
- Birds of America; editor-in-chief, T. Gilbert Pearson; consulting editor, John Burroughs; artists, R.I. Brasher, R. Bruce Horsfall [and] Henry Thurston. 1 1923 New York, The University Society, 1923. url figure , p. 83.
- Birds of Britain, by J. Lewis Bonhote. .. with 100 illustrations in colour selected by H.E. Dresser from his `Birds of Europe.' London, A. and C. Black, 1907. url p. 395.
- Birds of California: an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies / Chicago: A.C. McClurg, 1912, c1903. url , .
- Birds of California; an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies, Chicago, A.C. McClurg, 1916. url , .
- Birds of Massachusetts and other New England states / [Norwood, Ma.: Printed by Berwick and Smith Company], 1925-1929 url , p. 142.
- Birds of New York / by Elon Howard Eaton. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1910-1914. url p. 158.
- Birds of New York, by Elon Howard Eaton. .. Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14. url p. 158.
- Birds of North Carolina, by T. Gilbert Pearson, C. S. Brimley and H. H. Brimley. Raleigh, Edwards & Broughton printing co., state printers, 1919. url p. 43.
- Birds of Oregon, by Ira N. Gabrielson. .. and Stanley G. Jewett. .. Corvallis, Or., Pub. by Oregon State College through the O.S.C. Cooperative Association[c1940] url , p. 82.
- Birds of South Carolina, Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url .
- Birds of South Carolina, by Arthur Trezevant Wayne. With an introduction by the editor. Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url p. 9.
- Birds of eastern Canada / Ottawa: F.A. Acland, 1922. url .
- Birds of eastern Canada / Ottawa: J. de L. Tache?, 1919. url .
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa: F. A. Acland, 1922. url p. 60, p. 60.
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P.A. Taverner. Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Mines, Geological Survey, 1919. url p. 58.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Tache?, printer, 1919. url p. 58.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P.A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Taché, Printer, 1919. url p. 58.
- Birds of eastern North America, Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & Company, 1912. url .
- Birds of the British Isles, drawn and described by John Duncan; with an introd. by Charles Dixon. London, W. Scott, 1898. url p. 403.
- Birds of the Pacific coast, including a brief account of the distribution and habitat of one hundred and eighteen birds that are more or less common to the Pacific coast states and British Columbia, many of which are found east by Willard Ayres Eliot; with fifty-six color plates, by R. Bruce Horsfall. 1923 New York, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1923. url p. 173.
- Birds of the Pacific slope of Los Angeles County: a list with brief notes / [Pasadena, Calif.: Pasadena Academy of Sciences], 1898 url .
- Birds'-nesting: a handbook of instruction in gathering and preserving the nests and eggs of birds for the purposes of study / by Ernest Ingersoll. Boston [Mass.]: S.E. Cassino, 1883, c1882. url p. 96.
- British birds with their nests and eggs London, Brumby & Clarke[1896-98] url .
- British birds, London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1921. url , p. 337.
- British birds, by W. H. Hudson, C.M.Z.S. With a chapter on structure and classification by Frank E. Beddard, F.R.S. With 8 coloured plates from original drawings by A. Thorburn and 8 plates and 100 figures in black London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1921. url .
- British birds, by W.H. Hudson, C.M.Z.S. With a chapter on structure and classification by Frank E. Beddard, F. R.S. With 8 coloured plates from original drawings by A. Thorburn and 8 plates and 100 figures in black London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1895. url .
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 123, p. 159, p. 227, p. 227, p. 264, p. 318, p. 371.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 10, p. 175, p. 51, p. 69, p. 85.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1972 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url fig. 5.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 203.
- Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club. London: The Club, 1893- url p. 274, p. 286, p. 286.
- Bulletin of the Charleston Museum. [Charleston, S.C.: the Museum], 1907-1922. url p. 50.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 221, p. 29, p. 29, p. 29, p. 305.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1971- url p. 85.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 119.
- Cassinia. Philadelphia: Delaware Valley Ornithological Club, 1901- url p. 36.
- Catalog of California seabird colonies / by Arthur L. Sowls. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: Coastal Ecosystems Project, Office of Biological Services, Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior: 1980. url p. 4.
- Catalogue of British Columbia birds. Victoria, B.C., Printed by R. Wolfenden, 1904. url .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, Ottawa, Government Printing Bureau, 1909. url .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds. .. Ottawa, Printed by S. E. Dawson, 1900-04. url .
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 63, p. 65, p. 67, p. 68.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 695, p. 881.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 695, p. 881.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 386, p. 387.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 407, p. 7.
- Check-list of North American birds, prepared by a committee of the American Ornithologists' Union. New York, American Ornithologists' Union, 1910. url p. 53.
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 15.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 23.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 93.
- Color key to North American birds, with bibliographical appendix, by Frank M. Chapman. .. with upwards of 800 drawings, by Chester A. Reed, B.S. New York, D. Appleton & Company, 1912. url p. 294, p. 294, p. 63, p. 63.
- Color key to North American birds; with bibliographical appendix. New York, D. Appleton, 1912. url .
- Coloured figures of the birds of the British Islands / issued by Lord Lilford. London: R. H. Porter, 1885-1897. url p. 252.
- Coloured figures of the eggs of British birds: with descriptive notices / by Henry Seebohm; edited (after the author's death) by R. Bowdler Sharpe. Sheffield: Pawson and Brailsford, 1896. url , p. 73.
- Conservation of marine birds of northern North America: papers from the international symposium held at the Seattle Hyatt House, Seattle, Washington, 13-15 May 1975 / edited by James C. Bartonek and David N. Nettleship; sponsored by Natural Resources Council of America. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, 1979. url p. 101, p. 185, p. 264, p. 52.
- Contributions to biology from the Hopkins Seaside Laboratory of the Leland Stanford Jr. University. Stanford University, Calif.: The University, 1895-1904. url p. 124, p. 56.
- Contributions to the natural history of the Bermudas. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1884. url p. 273.
- Discovery reports. London; Cambridge University Press. url p. 130.
- Ecology and conservation of the marbled murrelet / [technical editors, C. John Ralph. .. et al.]. Albany, Calif.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station,  url p. 228, p. 323.
- Exposure of marine birds to environmental pollutants / by Harry M. Ohlendorf, Robert W. Risebrough, Kees Vermeer. Washington: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, 1978. url .
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 15, p. 24, p. 70.
- Fauna of New England, 11: list of the aves / by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 23.
- Fauna of New England. List of the Araneida. Boston, For Society, 1908. url .
- Fauna of New England. by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 23.
- Fauna of the Aleutian Islands and Alaska Peninsula, by Olaus J. Murie. Invertebrates and fishes collected in the Aleutians, 1936-38, by Victor B. Scheffer. Washington, Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1959 url , p. 41, p. 44.
- Field book of birds of the Panama Canal Zone; a description on the habits, call notes and songs of the birds of the Panama Canal Zone, for the purpose of identifying them. Many of these birds are also common in Central and South America. By Bertha Bement Sturgis; with over 100 illustrations, colour plates, pen-and-ink sketches, and a map of the Panama Canal Zone. London, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1928. url , .
- Field book of birds of the southwestern United States, by sqther E. Wyman. .. and Elizabeth F. Burnell. .. Boston, Houghton Mifflin Company, 1925. url p. 28.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url .
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url p. 597.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 49.
- Food habits of some Arctic birds and mammals / by Clarence Cottam and Harold C. Hanson. 20 1938 Chicago, ILL: Field Museum of Natural History, c1938. url p. 406.
- Game, shore, and water birds of India, with additional references to their allied species in other parts of the world. London, W. Thacker, 1904. url .
- Genera insectorum / publiés par P. Wytsman. Bruxelles, L. Desmet-Verteneuil [etc.]1902-1970. url p. 25, p. 38, p. 41, p. 75.
- Geographical distribution of British birds / by Henry Seebohm. London: R.H. Porter, 1893. url , p. 12.
- Guide to taxidermy, by Chas. K. Reed and Chester A. Reed. Illustrated by drawings and photographs of mounted specimens by the authors and Mr. N. F. Stone. Worcester, Mass., C.K. Reed, 1914. url p. 240.
- Hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. London, Allen, 1894-97. url p. 169.
- Handbook of birds of eastern North America; with introductory chapters on the study of birds in nature, by Frank M. Chapman. .. With full-page plates in colors and black and white by Louis Agassiz Fuertes and text-cuts by Tappan Adney and Ernest Thompson Seton. London: D. Appleton and Company, 1912. url p. 176.
- Handbook of birds of the western United States: including the Great Plains, Great Basin, Pacific Slope, and lower Rio Grande Valley / by Florence Merriam Bailey. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1915, c1902. url p. 36, p. 494.
- Heligoland as an ornithological observatory; the result of fifty years' experience, Edinburgh, D. Douglas, 1895. url p. 569.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 126, p. 150, p. 227, p. 228, p. 256, p. 277, p. 286, p. 30, p. 312, p. 355, p. 356, p. 412, p. 51, p. 542, p. 554, p. 557, p. 586, p. 631.
- Illustrated bird dictionary and note book: Water birds, game birds and birds of prey / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City (N.Y.): Doubleday, Page & Co., 1912. url p. 27.
- Index-catalogue of the birds in the Hancock collection. [Newcastle-upon-Tyne]Printed for the Natural History Society, 1899. url p. 95.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 99.
- Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington [etc., Washington Academy of Sciences] url p. 203.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 295, p. 336, p. 565, p. 566, p. 605, p. 622, p. 637.
- Life histories of North American petrels and pelicans and their allies: order Tubinares and order Steganopodes / Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1922. url .
- Manual of the birds of Iceland / by Henry H. Slater. Edinburgh: D. Douglas, 1901. url p. 142.
- Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, at Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass. 13 1884 Cambridge [Mass.]: The Museum, 1876-1940. url p. 377, p. 377, p. 391.
- Memoirs of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1886- url p. 45.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 245, p. 26.
- Migration of birds. by Frederick C. Linclon; revised by Steven R. Peterson; associate editor Peter A. Anastasi; illustrated by Bob Hines. Washington: Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service: for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1979. url p. 111, p. 117.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 105, p. 49.
- Mutton birds and other birds / H. Guthrie-Smith. Christchurch, N.Z.: Whitcombe and Tombs, 1914. url , , .
- Narrative of a voyage to the Polar Sea during 1875-76 in H.M. ships 'Alert' and 'Discovery' / with notes on the natural history, edited by H.W. Feilden. London: S. Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, 1878. url p. 7.
- Natural history. London, Printed by order of the Trustees of the British Museum, 1907-12. url , , p. 80.
- Natural history: [voyage of the S.S. Discovery under Capt. R.F. Scott] / edited by Jeffrey Bell London: British Museum, 1907-1912 url p. 80.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 753, p. 753.
- Nature in Acadie / London: John Bale, 1895. url .
- Nature in Acadie / by H.K. Swann. London: J. Bale & Sons, 1895. url p. 71.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 125, p. 228, p. 469.
- Nests and eggs of Australian birds, including the geographical distribution of the species and popular observations thereon, by Archibald James Campbell. ... With map, 28 coloured plates and 131 photographic illustrations. Sheffield, Printed for the author by Pawson & Brailsford, 1901. url p. 34.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds, Philadelphia, D. McKay[c1900] url .
- New Mallophaga, 3. Comprising: Mallophaga from birds of Panama, Baja California and Alaska. San FranciscoCalifornia Academy of Sciences1899 url p. 100, p. 116.
- Nomenclature of North American birds chiefly contained in the United States National Museum. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1881. url , , .
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url , p. 24, p. 388, p. 388, p. 39, p. 41, p. 41, p. 44, p. 86.
- Occasional papers - San Diego Society of Natural History. 1959 San Diego, The Society. url p. 4.
- Occasional papers of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, Boston Society of Natural History, 1869-1941. url p. 23.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 100, p. 139.
- Occasional papers of the Museum of Natural History, the University of Kansas. 1994 Lawrence, Kan.: The University, 1971-1994. url p. 16, p. 17.
- Oceanic birds of South America: a study of species of the related coasts and seas, including the American quadrant of Antarctica, based upon the Brewster-Sanford collection in the American Museum of Natural History / by Robert Cushman Murphy; illustrated from paintings by Francis L. Jaques; photographs, maps, and other drawings. New York: Macmillan Co.: c1936. url p. 1206, p. 188, p. 208, p. 252, p. 258, p. 304, p. 651, p. 652, p. 658, p. 666, p. 671, p. 672, p. 673, p. 674, p. 74, p. 99, p. xii.
- Ornithological gazetteer of Chile / Raymond A. Paynter, Jr. Cambridge, Mass.: Bird Dept., Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, 1988. url p. 306, p. 325.
- Ornithological miscellany / 1 1876 London: Trübner and Co., Bernard Quaritch, R.H. Porter, 1876-1878. url p. 236, p. 238.
- Our country's birds and how to know them. A guide to all the birds of Great Britain. London, Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent[1892?] url , .
- Our living world; an artistic edition of the Rev. J. G. Wood's Natural history of animate creation. New York: S. Hess,  url p. 660.
- Our migrant birds and how to know them / by E.F.M. Elms. London: Thornton Butterworth, 1922. url p. 117, p. 117, p. 117.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 110, p. 110, p. 139, p. 139, p. 15, p. 15, p. 18, p. 18, p. 27, p. 32, p. 32, p. 7, p. 74.
- Point Lobos Reseerve; State Park, California. Interpretation of a primitive landscape. Sacramento, [State Print. Off., 1954] url p. 95.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 132, p. 14, p. 19, p. 36, p. 62, p. 65.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 136, p. 136.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 132, p. 139, p. 14, p. 164, p. 19, p. 285, p. 62, p. 65.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 251.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 647.
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 45.
- Proceedings of the Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales. Mosman, New South Wales [etc.]The Society. url p. 12, p. 16, p. 22, p. 48.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 12, p. 19, p. 209, p. 222, p. 229, p. 278, p. 35, p. 4, p. 40, p. 462, p. 52, p. 556, p. 59, p. 6, p. 60, p. 64, p. 672, p. 684, p. 693, p. 8, p. 83.
- Proceedings of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington, Washington Academy of Sciences. url p. 476, p. 483.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 150, p. 806, p. 806.
- Proceedings of the eighth Pacific Science Congress of the Pacific Science Association: held at the University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City, 16th to 28th November 1953 / under the auspices of the National Research Council of the Philippines and the Republic of the Philippines. Quezon City: National Research Council of the Philippines, University of the Philippines, 1955. url p. 467, p. 482.
- Proceedings. Dorchester [etc.] url p. 51.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 24.
- Report of the Australian Association for the advancement of Science. Sidney, The Association. url p. 151.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution. .. [Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution], 1848-1932. url p. 96.
- Reports of the Princeton University Expeditions to Patagonia, 1896-1899. J. B. Hatcher in charge. Edited by William B. Scott. Princeton, The University, 1901-32 [v. 1, 1903] url p. 131.
- Results of the first Joint US-USSR Central Pacific Expedition (BERPAC): Autumn 1988 / John F. Turner, . .. [et al.]; P.A. Nagel, editor. Washington, DC: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1992. url p. 236.
- Results of the second joint U.S.-U.S.S.R. Bering Sea Expedition Summer 1984 [Moscow?]: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; 1990 url p. 197.
- Review of information regarding the conservation of living resources of the Antarctic marine ecosystem: final report / John L. Bengtson. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Marine Mammal Commission,  url p. 12.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 365.
- Science and the sea. Washington, U.S. Naval Oceanographic Office; For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 67.
- Sea-birds: an introduction to the natural history of the sea-birds of the North Atlantic / by James Fisher and R. M. Lockley. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin, 1954. url p. 26, p. 296, p. 314.
- Sketch-book of British birds / by R. Bowdler Sharpe; with coloured illustrations by A.F. and C. Lydon. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1898. url p. 252.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 66 1917 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 16, p. 222, p. 230, p. 35, p. 36, p. 8, p. 9, p. 9.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url p. 103, p. 33.
- Studies in bird migration, London, Gurney and Jackson; [etc., etc.]1912. url .
- Studies in bird migration, by William Eagle Clarke. .. with maps, weather charts, and other illustrations. .. London, Gurney and Jackson; [etc., etc.]1912. url p. 339.
- Supplement to the birds of Essex County, Massachusetts / Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1920. url .
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 6.
- The Aleutian islands: their people and natural history (with keys for the identification of the birds and plants) City of Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1945. url p. 77.
- The American oologists' exchange price list of North American birds' eggs, 1922. Compiled by a committee of twenty-five prominent American cologists. Lacon, Ill.: R.M. Barnes,  url .
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 141, p. 210, p. 25, p. 26, p. 27, p. 6, p. 84, p. 93.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 105, p. 125, p. 132, p. 135, p. 135, p. 161, p. 171, p. 181, p. 197, p. 199, p. 208, p. 216, p. 219, p. 233, p. 300, p. 315, p. 319, p. 349, p. 352, p. 357, p. 399, p. 429, p. 437, p. 438, p. 472, p. 85, p. 98.
- The Australian Museum magazine. Sydney, Australian Museum. url p. 144.
- The Australian zoologist. Sydney, Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales url p. 360.
- The British bird book: an account of all the birds, nests and eggs found in the British Isles / ed. by F.B. Kirkman. Illustrated by two hundred drawings and numerous photographs. London: T.C. & E.C. Jack, 1910-13. url p. 389.
- The Cambridge natural history / edited by S. F. Harmer and A. E. Shipley. London: Macmillan and Co.; 1895-1909. url p. 624, p. 66.
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited;1895-1909 url p. 624.
- The Canadian bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred north American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Toronto: Musson Book Co., c1914. url p. 66.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 72 1958 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url godfrey , , p. 11, p. 148, p. 173, p. 200, p. 203, p. 204, p. 208, p. 226, p. 260, p. 287, p. 288, p. 306, p. 312, p. 329, p. 4, p. 46, p. 53, p. 539, p. 552, p. 56, p. 676, p. 7.
- The Emu: official organ of the Australasian Ornithologists' Union. Melbourne: Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union, 1901- url p. 104, p. 108, p. 116, p. 135, p. 206, p. 217, p. 263, p. 58, p. 6, p. 97, p. 98.
- The Galathea Deep Sea Expedition, 1950-1952, described by members of the expedition / edited by Anton F. Bruun. .. [et al.], translated from the Danish by Reginald Spink. New York, : Macmillan,  url p. 228.
- The Ibis. [London]: Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 277.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url , p. 107.
- The Journal of the Museum of Comparative Oology. Santa Barbara, Calif.: The Museum, 1919-1922 url p. 15.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 3126.
- The Natural history of Enewetak Atoll / edited by Dennis M. Devaney. .. [et al.]; prepared by Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Department of Energy. Oak Ridge, Tenn.: U.S. Dept. of Energy, Office of Energy Research, Office of Health and Environmental Research, Ecological Research Division, c1987. url p. 331.
- The Naturalist. 1899 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 147, p. 40, p. 7.
- The Oo?logist for the student of birds, their nests and eggs. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886- url p. 154.
- The Scientific proceedings of the Royal Dublin Society. Dublin: The Society, 1877- url p. 407.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url p. 151, p. 201, p. 21, p. 290.
- The Victoria history of the county of Cornwall / London: [A. Constable and Company], 1906- url p. 347.
- The Warbler. Floral Park: Mayflower Pub. Co., [1903-1913] url p. 69.
- The aquatic birds of Great Britain and Ireland. London: R. H. Porter, 1906. url p. 551.
- The bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds; also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1915. url p. 66.
- The birds of Australia, London [etc.]Whitcombe and Tombs Limited, 1911. url , .
- The birds of Britain: their distribution and habits / Cambridge [England]: Cambridge University Press, 1916. url .
- The birds of Chile, by Charles E. Hellmayr. 19 1932 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1932. url p. 415, p. 456.
- The birds of New Jersey / by Witmer Stone. Trenton: J.L. Murphy Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 68.
- The birds of Norfolk, with remarks on their habits, migration, and local distribution: by Henry Stevenson. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866-1890. url p. 364, p. 364.
- The birds of Norfolk: with remarks on their habits, migration, and local distribution / by Henry Stevenson. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866-1890. url p. 364.
- The birds of South Africa / by Edgar Leopold Layard. London: Bernard Quaritch, 1875-1884. url p. 884.
- The birds of South Africa, London, R. H. Porter, 1900-1906. url , .
- The birds of South Africa, by Arthur C. Stark. .. London: R. H. Porter, 1900-1906. url p. 471.
- The birds of Washington: a complete, scientific and popular account of the 372 species of birds found in the state / by William Leon Dawson, assisted by John Hooper Bowles. Illustrated by more than 300 original half-tones of birds in life, nests, eggs, and favorite haunts, from photographs by the author and others, Seattle: Occidental Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 868.
- The birds of Yorkshire: being a historical account of the avi-fauna of the county / by T. H. Nelson; with the co-operation of W. Eagle Clarke and F. Boyes. London: A. Brown, 1907. url p. 753, p. 755.
- The birds of our country. London, Digby, Long & Co., 1898. url p. 357.
- The birds of our country. With illus. by A. Thorburn, J. Giacomelli, G.E. Lodge, K. Keyl, and R. Kretschmer. London, Digby, Long, 1897. url p. 357, p. 396.
- The birds of the Japanese Empire. London, R. H. Porter, 1890. url , , p. 13, p. 266.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 101, p. 101, p. 101.
- The condor. Santa Clara, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, [1900- url p. 103, p. 126, p. 249.
- The fundus oculi of birds, especially as viewed by the ophthalmoscope; a study in the comparative anatomy and physiology, by Casey Albert Wood. Illustrated by 145 drawings in the text; also by sixty-one colored paintings prepared for this work by Arthur W. Head. .. Chicago, The Lakeside Press, 1917. url p. 51, p. 75.
- The history of the collections contained in the natural history departments of the British Museum. by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London, 1906. url p. 187.
- The migration of birds: an attempt to reduce avian season-flight to law / by Charles Dixon. London: Chapman and Hall, 1892. url p. 147.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 149, p. 250, p. 251.
- The nests and eggs of non-indigenous British birds or such species that do not breed within the British Archipelago / Charles Dixon. London: Chapman & Hall, 1894. url p. 319.
- The oist. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886-1941. url p. 154.
- The oologists' hand-book: 1885 catalogue of American birds' eggs, and oological supplies, with prices at which they may be obtained of / Frank H. Lattin. Rochester (N.Y.): John P. Smith, Printer, 1885. url p. 59.
- The standard catalogue of North American birds eggs. Albion, N.Y., F.H. Lattin, 1892. url p. 8.
- The subantarctic islands of New Zealand. Reports on the geo-physics, geology, zoology, and botany of the islands lying to the south of New Zealand, based mainly on observatiohs and collections made during an expedition in the government stea Ed. by Chas. Chilton. Pub. by the Philosophical institute of Canterbury. Wellington, N.Z., Printed by J. Mackay, govt. printer, 1909. url p. 563.
- The summer birds of Yakutat Bay, Alaska / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1939. url p. 6.
- The water birds of North America. By S. F. Baird, T. M. Brewer and R. Ridgway. Issued in continuation of the publications of the Geological survey of California. J. D. Whitney, state geologist. Boston, Little, Brown, and Company, 1884. url p. 391.
- The zoology of the voyage of the H.M.S. Erebus & Terror, under the command of Captain Sir James Clark Ross, during the years 1839 to 1843. By authority of the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty. Edited by John Richardson and John Edward Gray. 1 London, E. W. Janson, 1844-1875. url p. 33, p. 36.
- Three voyages of a naturalist, being an account of many little-known islands in three oceans visited by the "Valhalla, " R. Y. S.; London, Witherby & co., 1908. url p. 189.
- Three voyages of a naturalist: being an account of many little-known islands in three oceans visited by the "Valhalla" R.Y.S. / by M. J. Nicoll; with an introduction by the Earl of Crawford. London: Witherby & Co., 1908. url p. 189.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Royal Society of South Australia (Incorporated). Adelaide: W.C. Rigby, 1912-1937. url p. 105.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science Topeka, Kan.: Geo. W. Martin. url p. 253.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 19 1977 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url figs. 8-9, page 10, p. 14, p. 18, p. 217, p. 226, p. 227, p. 228, p. 307, p. 319, p. 324, p. 482, p. 6, p. 6, fig. 5, page 7.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 304.
- Wildbirds of New York / by Chester A. Reed. Mohonk Lake, N.Y.: Mohonk Salesrooms, c1912. url p. 47.
- Zoe:a biological journal. 3 1892 San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 137, p. 363.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 121, p. 13, p. 143, p. 150, p. 154, p. 156, p. 157, p. 179, p. 334, p. 390, p. 421, p. 74.
- [Collected reprints, 1902-1928. s.l., s.n.19--] url .
- [Ornithological papers] 1876-84. url p. 33.
- BirdLife International 2004. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 18, 2008.
- BirdLife International 2010. Puffinus griseus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 04February2012.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 and ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 13, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 21 providers.
- Hines, J. E., Gregory Gough, J. R. Sauer, et al. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- Parker III, T.A., D.F. Stotz, and J.W. Fitzpatrick, and quot;Ecological and Distributional Databases for Neotropical Birds, and quot; in Neotropical Birds: Ecology and Conservation, by D.F. Stotz, T.A. Parker III, J.W. Fitzpatrick, and D.K. Moskovits (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1996). ISBN 0-226-64676-9.
- Peterson, Alan P. Zoological Nomenclature Resource. Accessed June 19, 2009.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- Sauer, J. R., J. E. Hines, and J. Fallon. 2005. The North American Breeding Bird Survey, Results and Analysis 1966 - 2004. Version 2005.2. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
- Sauer, J. R., S. Schwartz, and B. Hoover. 1996. The Christmas Bird Count Home Page. Version 95.1. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 13, 2008:
- Australian Antarctic Data Centre: Seabirds of the Southern and South Indian Ocean
- Avian Knowledge Network: eBird
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum: Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Bird Studies Canada: BC Coastal Waterbird Survey
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds (Aves)
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Royal British Columbia Museum
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Bird Collection
- Cornell University Museum of Vertebrates: Bird Collection
- EMAN Provider: PIROP (Shipboard Surveys)
- European Environment Agency: EUNIS
- GBIF-Sweden: Birds (GBIF-SE:Artdatabanken)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: A Biological Survey of the Waters of Woods Hole and Vacinity
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Bay of Fundy Species List (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: North Pacific Groundfish Observer (North Pacific Research Board)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: SEAMAP - marine mammals, birds and turtles
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Taxonomic Information Sytem for the Belgian coastal area
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB: Paleobiology Database
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University: MCZ Ornithology Collection
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology: Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- New Brunswick Museum: NBM birds
- OZCAM (Online Zoological Collections of Australian Museums) Provider: Online Zoological Collections of Australian Museums
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History: Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- Senckenberg: Collection Aves (spirit preserved)
- UCLA-Dickey Bird Collection (UCLA-Dickey): Bird specimens
- UK National Biodiversity Network: Argyll Bird Club - Bird records for Argyll for the years 2002 and 2003
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM: CNAV/Coleccion Nacional de Aves
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ): Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 9045
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-174553
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13740316
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 174553
- IUCN ID: 238068
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNDB07060
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 6349
- Mean = -1,276.890 meters (-4,189.272 feet), Standard Deviation = 1,901.810 based on 304 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- BirdLife International 2010. Puffinus griseus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 04 February 2012. [back]