Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Afrikaans:
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Cinerous puffin, common Atlantic shearwater, Great Shearwater, greater shearwater, hag, hagdon, haglet, petrel hagdon, wandering shearwater
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Großer Sturmtaucher, Grosser Sturmtaucher
Common Names in Hebrew:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Russian:
Буревестник пестробрюхий большой
Common Names in Spanish:
Pardela capirotada, Pardela mayor
Common Names in Swedish:
Adult : Head : Cap: dark, extending below eye Bill: blackish Shape : hooked Neck: Collar : white Body: Belly: white with thicker dark flecking Underparts: white with dark irregular flecking Upperparts: earthy-brown Legs : Foot Color: pink Tarsus: outer side black Wings : Undersides: white with dark edging Tail: black Uppertail Coverts: white U-shaped band.
About 18 to 20 inches long, with a wingspan of 39.5 to 48 inches. Adults weigh about 30.4 ounces .
Vegetation: freshwater marshes, pelagic waters • Foraging Strata: Water • Center of Abundance: Lower subtropical: lowlands, lower than 500 m.; subtropics. • Sensitivity to Disturbance: High
Typically found in water with a depth of 0 to -5,483 meters (0 to -17,989 feet).
begin a transequatorial migration in April, moving north-west
to South America, up to Canada, past Greenland and onto the north-east
Atlantic before returning south in November to the breeding islands
(Carboneras 1992d, Harrison 1983). The species breeds
, mainly in areas of tussock
or Phylica woodland. It
mostly on fish, squid and fish offal (attending trawlers
in large numbers), and also on some crustaceans (Carboneras 1992d).
List of Habitats :
- 1 Forest
- 1.3 Forest - Subantarctic
- 4 Grassland
- 4.3 Grassland - Subantarctic
- 9 Marine Neritic
- 9.1 Marine Neritic - Pelagic
- 9.2 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Rock and Rocky Reefs
- 9.3 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Loose Rock/pebble/gravel
- 9.4 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy
- 9.5 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy-Mud
- 9.7 Marine Neritic - Macroalgal/Kelp
- 9.9 Marine Neritic - Seagrass (Submerged)
- 10 Marine Oceanic
- 10.1 Marine Oceanic - Epipelagic (0-200m)
- 10.2 Marine Oceanic - Mesopelagic (200-1000m) [more info]
- Clutch Size: 1
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Fürbringer, 1888
- (Fürbringer, 1888)
- Suborder: Procellarae () - Gadow, 1893
- Order: Procellariiformes () - (Fürbringer, 1888)
- Superorder: Procellariimorphae () - Fürbringer, 1888
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Puffinus gravis (O`Reilly, 1818)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 13-Jun-2007
Black-Capped Petrel, Cory's Shearwater
Members of the genus Puffinus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 33 species and subspecies in this genus:
P. assimilis (Allied Shearwater) · P. assimilis assimilis (Little Shearwater) · P. atrodorsalis (Mascarene Shearwater) · P. auricularis ('a'o) · P. auricularis auricularis (Newell's Townsend's Shearwater) · P. auricularis newelli (Manx) · P. bannermani (Bannerman's Shearwater) · P. bulleri (Grey-Backed Shearwater) · P. carneipes (Flesh-Footed Shearwater) · P. creatopus (Pink-Footed Shearwater) · (Fluttering Shearwater) · P. gavia gavia (Fluttering Shearwater) · P. gravis (Common Atlantic Shearwater) · P. griseus (Dark-Bodied Shearwater) · P. heinrothi (Heinroth's Shearwater) · P. huttoni (Hutton's Shearwater) · P. iherminieri (Audubon's Shearwater) · P. lherminieri (Bannerman's Shearwater) · P. lherminieri lherminieri (Mascarene Shearwater) · P. lherminieri persicus (Audubon's Shearwater) · P. lherminieri subalaris (Audubon's Shearwater) · P. mauretanicus (Balearic Shearwater) · P. nativitatis (Christmas Island Shearwater) · P. newelli (Newell's Shearwater) · P. opisthomelas (Black-Vented Shearwater) · P. pacificus (Wedge-Tailed Shearwater) · P. persicus (Audubon's Shearwater) · P. puffinus (Black-Vented Shearwater) · P. puffinus opisthomelas (Manx Shearwater) · P. puffinus puffinus (Manx Shearwater) · P. puffinus yelkouan (Manx Shearwater) · P. tenuirostris (Slender-Billed Shearwater) · P. yelkouan (Mediterranean Shearwater)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url .
- A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity / By Francis B. Sumner, Raymond C. Osburn, and Leon J. Cole. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1913 url p. 855.
- A guide to the birds of New England and eastern New York; containing a key for each season and short descriptions of over 250 species, with particular reference to their appearance in the field, by Ralph Huffmann...with four full page plates by Louis Agassiz Fuertes and nearly 100 cuts in the text. BostonHoughton, Mifflin and company1904 url p. 315.
- A hand-book to the birds of Great Britain / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London: E. Lloyd, 1896-1897. url p. 160.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 152, p. 232.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url p. 287, p. 397.
- A list of the birds of Maine, showing their distribution by counties and their status in each county. Prepared under the auspices of the United ornithologists of Maine by Ora W. Knight. .. Augusta, Kennebec journal print, 1897. url p. 23.
- A list of the birds of New Hampshire. By Glover M. Allen Manchester, N.H., Nature press, 1903. url p. 189, p. 217.
- A manual of palæarctic birds, by H. E. Dresser. London, The author, 1902-03. url p. 851.
- A manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern United States: including the district north and east of the Ozark mountains, south of the Laurentian hills, north of the southern boundary of Virginia, and east of the Missouri river, inclusive of marine species / Chicago:A. C. McClurg, 1916. url .
- A pocket-book of British birds, by E.F.M. Elms. London: West, Newman & co. [etc.], 1906. url p. 142.
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York City, for the official year. . [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932] url p. 11, p. 13, p. 14, p. 22.
- An illustrated manual of British birds, with 384 illustrations and 3 colored maps. London, Gurney, 1899. url p. 737.
- Annals of the South African Museum. Annale van die Suid-Afrikaanse Museum. Cape Town [etc., South African Museum, etc.] url p. 363.
- Annotated list of birds of Wellesley and vicinity; comprising the land-birds and most of the inland water-fowl of eastern Massachusetts; by Albert Pitts Morse. .. Wellesley, Mass., The author, 1897. url p. 11.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 156.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 67.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 217.
- Baby bird-finder. .. by Harriet E. Richards and Emma G. Cummings. .. Boston, Mass., W.A. Butterfield, 1904-06. url p. 28.
- Bird guide: water birds, game birds and birds of prey / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1916, c1910. url p. 60.
- Birds of America; editor-in-chief, T. Gilbert Pearson; consulting editor, John Burroughs; artists, R.I. Brasher, R. Bruce Horsfall [and] Henry Thurston. 1 1923 New York, The University Society, 1923. url figure , p. 81.
- Birds of Britain, by J. Lewis Bonhote. .. with 100 illustrations in colour selected by H.E. Dresser from his Birds of Europe.' London: A. and C. Black, 1907. url p. 394.
- Birds of Labrador / Boston: Boston Society of Natural History, 1907. url .
- Birds of Labrador / by Charles W. Townsend and Glover M. Allen. Boston: Printed for the Society, 1907. url p. 319.
- Birds of Massachusetts and other New England states / [Norwood, Ma.: Printed by Berwick and Smith Company], 1925-1929 url , p. 139, p. 140.
- Birds of New York, by Elon Howard Eaton. .. Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14. url p. 156, p. 157.
- Birds of North Carolina, by T. Gilbert Pearson, C. S. Brimley and H. H. Brimley. Raleigh, Edwards & Broughton printing co., state printers, 1919. url p. 42.
- Birds of South Carolina, Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url , .
- Birds of South Carolina, by Arthur Trezevant Wayne. With an introduction by the editor. Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url p. 8.
- Birds of eastern Canada / Ottawa: F.A. Acland, 1922. url .
- Birds of eastern Canada / Ottawa: J. de L. Tache?, 1919. url .
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa: F. A. Acland, 1922. url p. 59.
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P.A. Taverner. Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Mines, Geological Survey, 1919. url p. 58.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Tache?, printer, 1919. url p. 58.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P.A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Taché, Printer, 1919. url p. 58.
- Birds of the New York city region, by Ludlow Griscom, assistant curator of ornithology, with the cooperation of the Linnæan society of New York. .. New York, The Museum, 1923. url p. 84.
- British birds with their nests and eggs, by Arthur G. Butler [and others] Illustrated by F. W. Frohawk. London, Brumby & Clarke[1896-98] url p. 226.
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url , p. 123, p. 183, p. 253, p. 324, p. 370.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 217.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 51.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1967 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 111.
- Bulletin / State Geological and Natural History Survey of Connecticut. [Hartford]: The Survey, 1904- url p. 194, p. 25, p. 367.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 203.
- Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club. London: The Club, 1893- url p. 22, p. 288, p. 36, p. 64.
- Bulletin of the Charleston Museum. [Charleston, S.C.: the Museum], 1907-1922. url , p. 22, p. 50.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 102 1949 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 30.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 119.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, Ottawa, Government Printing Bureau, 1909. url .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds. .. Ottawa, Printed by S. E. Dawson, 1900-04. url .
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 65.
- Check list of New York birds, Albany, University of the State of New York, 1900. url .
- Check list of New York birds, by Marcus S. Farr. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1900. url p. 217.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 9.
- Check-list of North American birds, prepared by a committee of the American Ornithologists' Union. New York, American Ornithologists' Union, 1910. url p. 52.
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 14.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 22.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 53, p. 89, p. 93.
- Color key to North American birds, by Frank M. Chapman. .. with upward of 800 drawings by Chester A. Reed, B. S. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1903. url p. 64.
- Coloured figures of the eggs of British birds: with descriptive notices / by Henry Seebohm; edited (after the author's death) by R. Bowdler Sharpe. Sheffield: Pawson and Brailsford, 1896. url p. 71.
- Conservation of marine birds of northern North America: papers from the international symposium held at the Seattle Hyatt House, Seattle, Washington, 13-15 May 1975 / edited by James C. Bartonek and David N. Nettleship; sponsored by Natural Resources Council of America. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, 1979. url p. 195.
- Effects of man's activities on the marine environment: prepared at the request of Hon. Warren G. Magnuson, chairman, Committee on Commerce, and Hon. Ernest F. Hollings, chairman, National Ocean Policy Study, for the use of the Committee on Commerce and th [prepared by James E. Miekle]. Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1975. url p. 6.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 14, p. 24.
- Fauna of New England, 11: list of the aves / by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 222, p. 23.
- Fauna of New England. List of the Araneida. Boston, For Society, 1908. url , .
- Fauna of New England. by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 222, p. 23.
- Fleas, flukes & cuckoos; a study of bird parasites, by Miriam Rothschild and Theresa Clay. New York, Macmillan, 1957. url p. 289, p. 304.
- Food habits of some Arctic birds and mammals / by Clarence Cottam and Harold C. Hanson. 20 1938 Chicago, ILL: Field Museum of Natural History, c1938. url p. 406.
- Game, shore, and water birds of India, with additional references to their allied species in other parts of the world. London, W. Thacker, 1904. url .
- Guide to the birds of Europe and North Africa. With a biographical memoir by William Eagle Clarke. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1923. url p. 243.
- Hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. London, Allen, 1894-97. url p. 160, p. 160.
- Handbook of birds of eastern North America; with introductory chapters on the study of birds in nature, London, D. Appleton and Company, 1912. url .
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 108, p. 126, p. 189, p. 277, p. 337, p. 396, p. 422, p. 431, p. 441, p. 450, p. 465, p. 527, p. 555, p. 674, p. 676.
- Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington [etc., Washington Academy of Sciences] url p. 202.
- Labrador, the country and the people, by Wilfred T. Grenfell. .. and others. New York, The Macmillan co., 1913. url p. 496.
- Labrador: the country and the people / by Wilfred T. Grenfell and others. New York: Macmillan Co., 1909. url p. 470.
- Meddelelser om Grønland. København, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url p. 140.
- Memoirs of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1886- url p. 107, p. 194, p. 44.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 49.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 753, p. 753.
- North American birds eggs. New York: Dover Pub, . url p. 49.
- Occasional papers of the Museum of Natural History, the University of Kansas. 1994 Lawrence, Kan.: The University, 1971-1994. url p. 16, p. 17, p. 2, p. 37.
- Oceanic birds of South America: a study of species of the related coasts and seas, including the American quadrant of Antarctica, based upon the Brewster-Sanford collection in the American Museum of Natural History / by Robert Cushman Murphy; illustrated from paintings by Francis L. Jaques; photographs, maps, and other drawings. I 1936 New York: Macmillan Co.: c1936. url p. 138, p. 218, fig. 57, p. 597, p. 653, p. 694, p. xii.
- Ootheca Wolleyana: an illustrated catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs, begun by the late John Wolley, jun.. .. and continued with additions, by the editor, Alfred Newton. .. London, sold by R. H. Porter, 1864-1907. url p. 433.
- Ornithological gazetteer of the Guianas / Lorain Stephens and Melvin A. Traylor, Jr. Cambridge, Mass.: Obtainable from Bird Dept., Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, 1985. url p. 112.
- Our migrant birds and how to know them / by E.F.M. Elms. London: Thornton Butterworth, 1922. url p. 117, p. 117, p. 117.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 14, p. 15, p. 18, p. 59.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 578.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 14, p. 15, p. 18, p. 59, p. 595, p. 89.
- Proceedings of the Manchester Institute of Arts and Sciences. Manchester, N.H.: The Institute, 1900-1911. url p. 217.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 519.
- Reports of the Princeton University Expeditions to Patagonia, 1896-1899. J. B. Hatcher in charge. Edited by William B. Scott. Princeton, The University, 1901-32 [v. 1, 1903] url p. 128, p. 128, p. 129, p. 129.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 12.
- Sand dunes and salt marshes / by Charles Wendell Townsend. Boston: L.C. Page & company, c1925. url p. 309.
- Sand dunes and salt marshes, Boston, D. Estes & company[c1913] url .
- Sea-birds: an introduction to the natural history of the sea-birds of the North Atlantic / by James Fisher and R. M. Lockley. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin, 1954. url p. 194, p. 26, p. 296, p. 309, p. 314.
- Sketch-book of British birds / by R. Bowdler Sharpe; with coloured illustrations by A.F. and C. Lydon. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1898. url p. 252.
- Smithsonian year: annual report of the Smithsonian Institution for the year ended Sept. 30. .. 1981 City of Washington: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1980-2001. url p. 426.
- Some recent bird records from Canada's eastern Arctic / [Toronto]: Royal Ontario Museum, 1942. url p. 341.
- Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary final environmental impact statement/management plan / Sanctuaries and Reserves Division. Washington, D.C.: The Division,  url p. 33.
- Studies in bird migration, London, Gurney and Jackson; [etc., etc.]1912. url , , .
- Studies in bird migration, by William Eagle Clarke. .. with maps, weather charts, and other illustrations. .. London, Gurney and Jackson; [etc., etc.]1912. url p. 339.
- Supplement to the birds of Essex County, Massachusetts / Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1920. url , .
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 6.
- The American oologists' exchange price list of North American birds' eggs, 1922 / compiled by a committee of twenty-five prominent American oologists. Lacon, Ill.: R. Magoon Barnes, 1922. url p. 45.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 142, p. 19, p. 214, p. 86.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 163, p. 172, p. 185, p. 208, p. 214, p. 226, p. 234, p. 342, p. 357, p. 438, p. 453, p. 455, p. 471, p. 507, p. 586.
- The Bahama Islands, London, Macmillan & co., ltd., 1905. url p. 359, p. 622.
- The Cambridge natural history / edited by S. F. Harmer and A. E. Shipley. London: Macmillan and Co.; 1895-1909. url p. 624.
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited;1895-1909 url p. 624.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 103, p. 173, p. 191, p. 196, p. 201, p. 203, p. 204, p. 208, p. 215, p. 235, p. 280, p. 3, p. 306, p. 307, p. 411, p. 637, p. 676, p. 788.
- The Galathea Deep Sea Expedition, 1950-1952, described by members of the expedition / edited by Anton F. Bruun. .. [et al.], translated from the Danish by Reginald Spink. New York, : Macmillan,  url p. 236.
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 23.
- The Ibis. [London]: Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 277.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url .
- The Journal of the Maine Ornithological Society: a quarterly journal of Maine ornithology. Bangor: Maine Ornithological Society, 1899-1911. url p. 18.
- The Journal of the Museum of Comparative Oology. Santa Barbara, Calif.: The Museum, 1919-1922 url p. 15.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url , p. 218.
- The Victoria history of the county of Kent; ed. by William Page. London, Constable, 1908- url p. 301.
- The aquatic birds of Great Britain and Ireland. London: R. H. Porter, 1906. url , p. 548, p. 551, p. 551.
- The bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds; also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1915. url p. 64.
- The birds of Britain: their distribution and habits / Cambridge [England]: Cambridge University Press, 1916. url , .
- The birds of Connecticut, Hartford, Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url , , .
- The birds of Connecticut, by John Hall Sage and Louis Bennett Bishop, assisted by Walter Parks Bliss. Hartford, Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url p. 194, p. 194, p. 25, p. 25, p. 367, p. 367.
- The birds of Essex County, Massachusetts. By Charles Wendell Townsend, M.D. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1905. url p. 107.
- The birds of Maine; with key to and description of the various species known to occur or to have occured in the state, an account of their distribution and migration, showing their relative abundance in the various count by Ora Willis Knight. .. Bangor, Me.[printed by C. H. Glass & co.]1908. url p. 687.
- The birds of Massachusetts, Cambridge, Mass., 1901. url .
- The birds of Massachusetts, by Reginald Heber Howe and Glover Morrill Allen. Cambridge, Mass., 1901. url p. 22, p. 22.
- The birds of New Jersey / by Witmer Stone. Trenton: J.L. Murphy Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 67.
- The birds of Rhode Island / by Reginald Heber Howe, and Edward Sturtevant. [S.l.: s.n.], 1899. url p. 32.
- The birds of Rhode Island n. p.c1899 url .
- The birds of Rhode Island. [n. p.]1899. url p. 32.
- The birds of South Africa, London, R. H. Porter, 1900-1906. url .
- The birds of South Africa, by Arthur C. Stark. .. London: R. H. Porter, 1900-1906. url p. 468.
- The birds of Yorkshire: being a historical account of the avi-fauna of the county / by T. H. Nelson; with the co-operation of W. Eagle Clarke and F. Boyes. London: A. Brown, 1907. url p. 752.
- The natural history of South Africa. by F.W. Fitzsimons. London, New York [etc.]Longmans, Green and co., 1923. url p. 317.
- The naturalist of the Saint Croix. Memoir of George A. Boardman. A selection from his correspondence and published writings, notices of friends and contemporaries, with his list of the birds of Maine and New Brunswick. By Samuel Lane Boardman... Bangor: Priv. print, 1903. url p. 315, p. 315, p. 315.
- The ornithology of Chester County, Pennsylvania, Boston, R. G. Badger, [c1919] url .
- The ornithology of the Straits of Gibraltar / by L. Howard L. Irby. London: R.H. Porter, 1895. url p. 308.
- Three voyages of a naturalist, being an account of many little-known islands in three oceans visited by the "Valhalla, " R. Y. S.; London, Witherby & co., 1908. url p. 61, p. 64.
- Three voyages of a naturalist: being an account of many little-known islands in three oceans visited by the "Valhalla" R.Y.S. / by M. J. Nicoll; with an introduction by the Earl of Crawford. London: Witherby & Co., 1908. url p. 61, p. 64.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 19 1977 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url figs. 8-9, page 10, p. 14, fig. 12, page 15, fig. 5, page 7.
- Wildbirds of New York / by Chester A. Reed. Mohonk Lake, N.Y.: Mohonk Salesrooms, c1912. url p. 47.
- BirdLife International 2009. Puffinus gravis. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 04February2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- Avian Knowledge Network, eBird
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, North West Territories and Nunavut Bird Checklist, Canada
- EMAN Provider, PIROP
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- Royal Ontario Museum, Bird specimens
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Birds of the Gothenburg Natural History Museum
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 9044
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-174549
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13740316
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 174549
- IUCN ID: 238067
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNDB07030
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 6348
- Mean = -513.210 meters (-1,683.760 feet), Standard Deviation = 998.100 based on 8,244 observations. Ocean depth information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- BirdLife International 2009. Puffinus gravis. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 04 February 2012. [back]