Family : Righteye flounders ; Feed predominantly in daytime on organisms living in, on or near the bottom ; shrimps, amphipods , crabs, sea urchins and snails.
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in English:
Blackback, Carrelet, dab, Flounder, Georges Bank flounder, Lemon sole, plie rouge, rough flounder, sole, Winter flounder
Common Names in Faroese:
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Limande plie rouge, Limande-plie rouge, plie rouge
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Greek:
Common Names in Greek, Modern:
Common Names in Greek, Modern (1453):
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Mandarin Chinese:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Solha de inverno, Solha-de-inverno
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Mendo limon, Solla roja
Common Names in Swedish:
Typically found in water with a depth of 0 to -5,334 meters (0 to -17,500 feet).
Biome: Marine .
- Kingdom: Animalia () - animals
Platessa pusilla Dekay • Pleuronectes americanus • Pleuronectes americanus Walbaum • Pleuronectes americanus Walbaum, 1792 • Pleuronectes planus Mitchill • Pseudopleuronectes americanus • Pseudopleuronectes americanus (Walbaum) • Pseudopleuronectes dignabilis Kendall
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: Data last modified by FishBase 09-Nov-1995
Members of the genus Pseudopleuronectes
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 5 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... Catalogue of the fishes of New York. By Tarleton H. Bean. .. Albany, University of the state of New York, 1903. url p. 727.
- A bibliography of fishes, by Bashford Dean. .. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1916-1923. url p. 632.
- A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity / By Francis B. Sumner, Raymond C. Osburn, and Leon J. Cole. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1913 url p. 163, p. 427, p. 58, p. 582, p. 583, p. 584, p. 589, p. 59, p. 640, p. 642, p. 772, p. 773, p. 855, p. 9.
- A checklist of Canadian Atlantic fishes with keys for identification / Toronto, Royal Ontario Museum, 1965 url , p. 18, p. 85.
- A guide book to the marine fishes of Rhode Island. Photos by the author. Watch Hill, R. I., Book and Tackle Shop url p. 39.
- A guide to the study of fishes, New York, H. Holt, 1905. url , , .
- A guide to the study of fishes, by David Starr Jordan. .. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1905. url , p. 174, p. 176, p. 493, p. xx.
- A list of common and scientific names of fishes from the United States and Canada. Report presented at the eighty-ninth annual meeting, Clearwater, Fla., Sept. 16-18, 1959. Ann Arbor, Mich., 1960. url p. 47.
- A manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern United States, including the district north and east of the Ozark mountains, south of the Laurentian hills, north of the southern boundary of Virgini by David Starr Jordan. Chicago: A.C. McClurg, 1910. url p. 167.
- A manual of zoology / by T. Jeffrey Parker. New York: Macmillan, 1900. url p. 398, p. 558.
- A manual of zoology, London, Macmillan & Co., Ltd., 1900. url , .
- A systematic monograph of the flatfishes (Heterosomata) / By J.R. Norman, &c. London, 1934. url p. 345.
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York. [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932]. url p. 105, p. 118.
- Addresses delivered at the convention of the National Shellfisheries Association. Washington, Published for the National Shellfisheries Association by the Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 166.
- Advances in marine environmental research: proceedings of a symposium / Francine Sakin Jacoff, editor. Narragansett, R.I.: Environmental Research Laboratory, Office of Research and Development, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1979. url , , .
- American fishes; a popular treatise upon the game and food fishes of North America, with especial reference to habits and methods of capture, Boston, L. C. Page[c1903]. url , .
- American food and game fishes. A popular account of all the species found in America north of the equator, with keys for ready identification, life histories and methods of capture, . by David Starr Jordan...and Barton Warren Evermann...illustrated with colored plates and text drawings, and with photographs from life, by A. Radclyffe Dugmore. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & Co., 1908. url p. 528, p. 565.
- American food and game fishes: A popular account of all the species found in America north of the equator, with keys of ready identification, life histories and methods of capture New York: Doubleday, Page & co., 1902. url , .
- American food and game fishes: a popular account of all the species found in America, north of the equator, with keys for ready identification, life histories and methods of capture, by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann; with photos. from life by A. Radclyffe Dugmore. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1908, c1902. url p. 528, p. 565.
- An annotated catalogue of the fishes of Maine. Portland, Me., 1914. url p. 129, p. 139, p. 140, p. 141, p. 147, p. 150, p. 157, p. 167, p. 186.
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url , .
- An evaluation of candidate measures of biological effects for the National Status and Trends Program / Edward R. Long and Michael F. Buchman. Seattle, Wash.: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Ocean Service, [Ocean Assessments Division, Coastal and Estuarine Assessment Branch, Pacific Office, 1989] url p. 104, p. 90.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 112.
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 727, p. 728.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 74.
- Annual report of the Commissioner of Fisheries to the Secretary of Commerce for the fiscal year ended. .. Washington: G.P.O., 1914-1940. url p. 7, p. 7, p. 8, p. 9, p. 9.
- Annual report of the Commissioners of Fisheries, Game and Forests of the State of New York. Albany, N.Y.: The Commission, 1896-1900 url p. 247.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum, 1911: including a list of the specimens and publications received during the year, with a report of the crustacea of New Jersey. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, 1912. url p. 323.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: The Society, 1897- url p. 131.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 110, p. 218, p. 32, p. 694.
- Artificial propagation of marine species. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1904. url p. 217.
- Bass, pike, perch and other game fishes of America, Cincinnati, Stewart & Kidd Company, 1919. url , , , .
- Bass, pike, perch and others / by James A. Henshall. New York: Macmillan, 1903. url , , p. 407.
- Bass, pike, perch and others, by James A. Henshall. London, The Macmillan company, 1903. url , , p. 263, p. 266.
- Bass, pike, perch, and others, London, Macmillan, 1903. url , , , .
- Biosorption, bioaccumulation and food chain transfer of organic chemicals: report prepared by F. A. P. C. Gobas and D. Mackay. Toronto: Ontario Ministry of the Environment, 1990. url p. 45.
- Boston harbor's bad bottom: sediments: a resource in distress. 1988. url .
- British fisheries; their administration and their problems. A short account of the origin and growth of British sea-fishery authorities and regulations. London, Williams & Norgate, 1905. url .
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 727, p. 728, p. 746.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 1116, p. 220, p. 252, p. 2647, p. 61.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 373.
- Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905-1950. url p. 131, p. 196, p. 256, p. 305, p. 311, p. 335, p. 339, p. 393, p. 427, p. 501, p. 539, p. 562, p. 58, p. 59, p. 6, p. 9.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute. url p. 38.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 40 1902 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url title , descr. of plate 1 , descr. of plate 2 , descr. of plate 4 , , , , , p. 111, p. 114, p. 114, p. 17, p. 17, p. 19, p. 19, p. 2, p. 216, p. 216, p. 227, p. 228, p. 228, p. 230, p. 230, p. 233, p. 233, p. 240, expl. of plate, page 242, p. 242, p. 28, p. 28, p. 29, p. 29, p. 3, p. 3, p. 31, p. 31, p. 33, p. 33, p. 4, p. 4, p. 49, p. 49, p. 5, p. 5, p. 6, p. 9, p. 9.
- Bulletin of the United States Fish Commission. Washington, The Commission, Govt. Print. Off. url p. 102.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 38, p. 6.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 100.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. CambridgeUniversity Press1908-14 url p. 636.
- Check list of the fishes of the Dominion of Canada and Newfoundland. Ottawa, Printed by C. H. Parmelee, 1913. url , , .
- Chemical embryology. New York:The MacMillan Co., 1931. url p. 488.
- College zoology, New York, The Macmillan company, 1912 url p. 470.
- College zoology, by Robert W. Hegner. New York, The Macmillan company, 1912. url p. 470.
- College zoology. New YorkMacmillan1918 url p. 470.
- Commercial fisheries review. [Washington]: National Marine Fisheries Service; [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.] url p. 10, p. 101, p. 109, p. 47, p. 6, p. 69, p. 86, p. 95.
- Contributions to Canadian biology. Toronto, Biological Board of Canada. url , p. 114, p. 27, p. 28, p. 29, p. 32, p. 38, p. 81, p. 82, p. 99.
- Contributions to North American ichthyology. Based primarily on the collections of the United States National Museum. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1877-78. url p. 26, p. 332.
- Contributions. Providence, R. I. url p. 79.
- Copeia. [New York, N.Y., etc.]: American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists. url , p. 42.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url , p. 176, p. 187, p. 211, p. 233, p. 236, p. 248, p. 32, p. 592, p. 632, p. 637, p. 653.
- Davids Island phase I: a short-term ecological survey of western Long Island Sound / by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service, Middle Atlantic Coastal Fisheries Center, Ecosystems Investigations, Sandy Hook Laboratory. Highlands, N.J.: The Laboratory,  url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , p. 13, p. 4.
- Dean bibliography of fishes. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1971-1973. url p. 122, p. 201, p. 203, p. 227, p. 233, p. 283, p. 319, p. 322, p. 470, p. 517, p. 518, p. 519, p. 541, p. 543, p. 544, p. 549, p. 558, p. 628, p. 665, p. 670, p. 737, p. 744, p. 76.
- Dioxin hazards to fish, wildlife, and invertebrates a synoptic review / by Ronald Eisler (Patuxent Wildlife Research Center). [Washington, D.C.?]: Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of Interior,  url p. 18.
- Distribution and abundance of fishes and invertebrates in Mid- Atlantic estuaries. Silver Spring, Md.: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Ocean Service, 1994- url p. 254, p. 264, p. 269, p. 277.
- Dwellers of the sea and shore, by William Crowder; drawings and photographs by the author. .. New York, The Macmillan Company, 1935. url p. 187.
- Ecological monitoring of a constructed intertidal flat at Jonesport, Me. / submitted to Regulatory Branch, New England District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers; prepared by Gary L. Ray; submitted by U.S. Engineer Research and Development Center, Waterways Experiment Station, Concord, MA: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, New England District,  url p. 61.
- Elementary textbook of economic zoology and entomology, by Vernon Lyman Kellogg. .. and Rennie Wilbur Doane. New York, H. Holt and company[c1915] url p. 528.
- Elementary zoology / by Vernon L. Kellogg. New York: H. Holt and company, 1902. url p. 284.
- Elements of comparative zoology, by J. S. Kingsley. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1904. url p. 330.
- Elements of comparative zoology. By J. S. Kingsley. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1897. url p. 27.
- Energy and environmental stress in aquatic systems: selected papers from a symposium held at Augusta, Georgia, November 2-4, 1977 / sponsored by Savannah River Ecology Laboratory, Institute of Ecology, University of Georgia, Assistant Secretary for Environment, U.S. Department of Energy, Savannah River National Environmental Resea [Washington]: Technical Information Center, U.S. Dept. of Energy; 1978. url p. 60, p. 850.
- Establishing a 200-mile fisheries zone: (implementation of the Fishery conservation and management act of 1976): working papers / OTA Oceans Program staff; Robert W. Niblock, program manager. Washington: Congress of the United States, Office of Technology Assessment, 1977. url p. 7.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 11, p. 197, p. 20, p. 23, p. 288, p. 37, p. 42, p. 75, p. 76.
- Fauna of New England, 8. List of the pisces, by William C. Kendall. Boston, Printed for the [Boston] Society [of Natural History] from the G. Saltonstall Fund, 1908. url .
- Fauna of New England. Boston, Printed for the [Boston] Society [of Natural History] from the Gurdon Saltonstall Fund, 1904-25. url .
- First lessons in zoology, New York, H. Holt and Company, 1903. url .
- Fish parasites collected at Woods Hole in 1898. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1900 url p. 273.
- Fish planting in public waters; [Albany]state of New York, Conservation commission, Division of fish and game url p. 23.
- Fish skulls; a study of the evolution of natural mechanisms. Laurel, Fla., E. Lundberg, 1959. url p. 468.
- Fisheries of the United States, 1908. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1911. url p. 313.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , p. 1, p. 1001, p. 1005, p. 1008, p. 1009, p. 1011, p. 1013, p. 1015, p. 1016, p. 103, p. 103, p. 1077, p. 1136, p. 12, p. 1323, p. 136, p. 136, p. 16, p. 161, p. 165, p. 166, p. 169, p. 18, p. 197, p. 202, p. 205, p. 206, p. 213, p. 224, p. 227, p. 252, p. 273, p. 300, p. 354, p. 390, p. 391, p. 392, p. 424, p. 426, p. 427, p. 427, p. 431, p. 433, p. 434, p. 434, p. 435, p. 435, p. 436, p. 436, p. 437, p. 438, p. 445, p. 472, p. 486, p. 5, p. 509, p. 52, p. 529, p. 535, p. 539, p. 544, p. 545, p. 546, p. 572, p. 574, p. 575, p. 58, p. 580, p. 618, p. 618, p. 659, p. 681, p. 695, p. 704, p. 708, p. 719, p. 74, p. 75, p. 751, p. 753, p. 77, p. 783, p. 819, p. 820, p. 828, p. 829, p. 869, p. 880, p. 895, p. 897, p. 898, p. 903, p. 904, p. 905, p. 905, p. 908, p. 909, p. 913, p. 916, p. 919, p. 932, p. 936, p. 944, p. 949, p. 950, p. 988, p. 996, p. 999.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url p. 170, p. 236, p. 276, p. 287, p. 575, p. 651.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 183, p. 50.
- Fishery statistics of the United States / prepared by Data Management and Statistics Division. Washington, D.C.: Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service: url p. 257, p. 262, p. 274, p. 281, p. 321, p. 350, p. 391, p. 434, p. 464, p. 469, p. 497, p. 504.
- Fishes occurring in the fresh waters of insular Newfoundland / Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Fisheries, 1964. url p. 101, p. 102, p. 103, p. 12, p. 120, p. 15.
- Fishes of the Gulf of Maine, by Henry B. Bigelow and William C. Schroeder. Washington, United States Government Printing Office, 1953. url , p. 276, p. 281, p. 340, p. 575.
- Fishes of the Gulf of Maine. By Henry B. Bigelow. .. and William W. Welsh. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1925. url p. 501, p. 562, p. 6.
- Fishes of the vicinity of New York City / by John Treadwell Nichols, with an introduction by William K. Gregory. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1918. url p. 117.
- Fishes, New York, H. Holt and Company, 1907. url , , .
- Fishes, by David Starr Jordan. .. with 18 colored plates and 673 illustrations. .. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1907. url p. 77.
- Fishes, living and fossil, an outline of their forms and probable relationships. New York, MacMillan, 1895. url p. 175.
- Fishes, living and fossil. An outline of their forms and probable relationships, by Bashford Dean. .. New York, Macmillan and Co., 1895. url p. 175, p. 175.
- Fishes, living and fossil: an outline of their forms and probable relationships / by Bashford Dean. New York, Macmillan and Co., 1895. url p. 175.
- General embryological information service. Utrecht, Hubrecht Laboratory. url p. 47.
- Goldfish breeds and other aquarium fishes, their care and propagation; a guide to freshwater and marine aquaria, their fauna, flora and management. Philadelphia, Innes & Sons[c1908] url .
- Guide to marine fishes; [a new method for identification of marine fishes. New York]New York University Press url p. 277, p. 324.
- How to collect shells, a symposium. Marinette, Wis.]1961. url p. 42.
- Illinois biological monographs. Urbana, Univ. of Illinois Press. url p. 115, p. 239, p. 64.
- Journal of comparative neurology. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wistar Institute of Anatomy and Biology, [1911?- url p. 305.
- Journal of morphology. Boston: Ginn & Co., [1887-1924] url , p. 155, p. 739, p. 780.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 420, p. 66.
- Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington [etc., Washington Academy of Sciences] url .
- List of the fishes of Nova Scotia (corrected to date, 1879) Halifax, N.S.: s.n., 1879 url .
- Mammals of the Soviet Union / V.G. Heptner, A.A. Nasimovich, and A.G. Bannikov; scientific editor, Robert S. Hoffmann. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1988- url p. 768.
- Marine and estuarine environments, organisms, and geology of the Cape Cod region; an indexed bibliography, 1665-1965 [by] Anne E. Yentsch [and others. Woods Hole, Mass., Systematics Ecology Program, Marine Biological Laboratory[c1966] url p. 104, p. 130, p. 154, p. 45, p. 51, p. 70, p. 71, p. 93, p. 98.
- Marine ecosystem modeling: proceedings from a workshop held April 6-8, 1982, Frederick, Md. / Kenneth W. Turgeon, editor. Washington, D.C.: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service, 1983. url p. 50.
- Marine products of commerce; their acquisition, handling, biological aspects, and the science and techology of their preparation and preservation, by Donald K. Tressler and James McW. Lemon in collaboration with Alexander E. Alexander [and others] New York, Book Division, Reinhold, 1951. url p. 295.
- Mark anniversary volume; to Edward Laurens Mark, Hersey professor of anatomy and director of the zoölogical laboratory at Harvard university, in celebration of twenty-five years of successful work for the advancement of zoölo New York, H. Holt and company, 1903. url p. 415.
- Monitoring the marine environment of Long Island Sound at Millstone Nuclear Power Station, Waterford, Connecticut: three operational studies, 1986-1987 / [prepared by the Environmental Laboratory staff of Northeast Utilities Service Company]. Waterford, Connecticut: Northeast Utilities,  url p. 219, p. 220, p. 221, p. 222, p. 223, p. 224, p. 265, p. 266, p. 307, p. 59.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 112.
- NOAA technical report NMFS SSRF. Seattle, Wash.: National Marine Fisheries Service; url , , p. 2, p. 4, p. 5, p. 67.
- Natural science: a monthly review of scientific progress. London [etc.]: Macmillan and Company [etc.], [1892-1899] url p. 236.
- New Haven Harbor ecological studies summary report, 1970-1977 / prepared for the United Illuminating Company, New Haven, Connecticut by Normandeau Associates, inc., Bedford, New Hampshire; edited by Andrew J. McCusker, Weldon S. Bosworth. Bedford, N.H.: Normandeau, 1979. url p. 10, p. 115, p. 117, p. 118, p. 121, p. 122, p. 13, p. 18, p. 23, p. 24, p. 29, p. 4, p. 50, p. 51, p. 52, p. 53, p. 63, p. 73, p. 84.
- North American pseudophyllidean cestodes from fishes. [UrbanaUniversity of Illinois][c1919] url p. 265.
- Ocean dumping in the New York Bight: an assessment of environmental studies / by George Pararas-Carayannis. Fort Belvoir, Va.: Available from NTIS, 1973. url p. 90.
- Ocean pollution: hearings before the Subcommittee on Oceanography of the Committee on Merchant Marine and Fisheries, House of Representatives, Ninety-eighth Congress, first session, on sewage disposal in New York Bigh Washington: U.S. G.P.O., 1984. url p. 137.
- Oceanus. Woods Hole, Mass., Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution url p. 15, p. 26, p. 28, p. 28, p. 42, p. 63.
- Ontogeny and systematics of fishes: based on an international symposium dedicated to the memory of Elbert Halvor Ahlstrom / sponsored by the National Marine Fisheries Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, United States Dept. of Commerce. [New York?]: American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists, c1984. url p. 24, p. 654, p. 714.
- Our living oceans: the first annual report on the status of U.S. living marine resources. [Washington, D.C.]: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, 1991. url p. 116.
- Oxygen depletion and associated benthic mortalities in New York Bight, 1976 / editors, R. Lawrence Swanson, Carl J. Sindermann. Rockville, Md.: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration; 1979. url p. 300.
- Pamphlets on forestry. Fish and game. [1900?- url , p. 2604, p. 2647, p. 3311.
- Pesticides monitoring journal. [Washington, D.C.: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1967-1981. url p. 126.
- Postilla. 1978 New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url p. 19.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url , , , p. 115, p. 126, p. 126, p. 203, p. 205, p. 216, p. 298, p. 375, p. 390, p. 408, p. 41, p. 512, p. 517, p. 56, p. 592, p. 602, p. 602, p. 629, p. 7, p. 710, p. 737, p. 737, p. 886, p. 886.
- Proceedings of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Boston: Metcalf and Co., 1846-1958 url p. 569, p. 573.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 166, p. 191, p. 202, p. 261, p. 42.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url , , , p. 1018, p. 104, p. 122, p. 332, p. 368, p. 432, p. 496, p. 574, p. 607, p. 61, p. 65, p. 659, p. 78, p. 855, p. 97, p. 99.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 11, p. 14.
- Publications: studies from the Dept. of Anatomy. New York url p. 739, p. 784.
- Report of the Bureau of Fisheries / Department of Commerce and Labor. Washington: G.P.O., 1905. url p. 4, p. 4.
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url , , , , p. 11, p. 11, p. 112, p. 138, p. 215, p. 227, p. 240, p. 240, p. 25, p. 289, p. 290, p. 333, p. 333, p. 336, p. 455, p. 498, p. 498, p. 504, p. 504, p. 511, p. 511, p. 669, p. 682, p. 686, p. 732, p. 840, p. 840, p. 898.
- Report of the Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year. .. and special papers Washington: G.P.O., 1906-1914. url p. 10, p. 8, p. 8.
- Report of the United States Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year. .. with appendixes Washington: G.P.O., 1914- url p. 227, p. 463, p. 5, p. 551, p. 557, p. 558, p. 566, p. 7, p. 7, p. 9, p. 92.
- Report on investigation of 1990 Gulf of Mexico bottlenose dolphin strandings / edited by Larry J. Hansen. Miami, Fla.: National Marine Fisheries Service, Southeast Fisheries Science Center, 1992. url p. 75.
- Report on the Lancashire sea-fisheries laboratory at the University of Liverpool, and the Sea-fish hatchery at Piel. .. Liverpool: C. Tinling & Co., 1893- url p. 60.
- Report on the conditions of the sea fisheries of the south coast of New England / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1873. url p. 794.
- Report. .. Baltimore: King Brothers. url p. 79.
- Reports. OttawaKing's Printer1917 url p. 13.
- Science. 36 1912 New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 138, p. 815.
- Seasonal distribution of the plankton of the Woods Hole region. Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O, 1925. url p. 168, p. 172.
- Sex and internal secretions. Contributors: A. Albert [and others] Foreword by George W. Corner. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1961. url p. 1582.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 14 1878 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 16, p. 179, p. 78.
- Some North American fish trematodes, Urbana, Ill., c1926 url p. 9.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 335, p. 590.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url p. 13, p. 15, p. 20, p. 6, p. 8.
- Studies on Myxosporidia; a synopsis of genera and species of Myxosporidia; with 25 plates and 2 textfigures, by Rokusaburo Kudo. .. Urbana, Ill., University of Illinois, c1920 url p. 115, p. 115.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 109, p. 24, p. 25, p. 77.
- The American journal of anatomy. Baltimore, MD: [s.n.], 1902-1991. url p. 216.
- The American natural history: a foundation of useful knowledge of the higher animals of North America / William T. Hornaday. .. illustrated by 225 original drawings. .. 151 photographs. .. and with numerous charts and maps. New York: C. Scribner's sons, 1914. url p. 343.
- The American natural history; a foundation of useful knowledge of the higher animals of North America, New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1914. url .
- The Argo Merchant oil spill: a preliminary scientific report / edited by Peter L. Grose and James S. Mattson. Boulder, Colo.: for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1977. url p. 112.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url , p. 151, p. 156, p. 160, p. 162, p. 203, p. 208, p. 21, p. 210, p. 25, p. 256, p. 264, p. 277, p. 313, p. 325, p. 346, p. 37, p. 371, p. 383, p. 385, p. 392, p. 46, p. 517, p. 527, p. 551, p. 574, p. 66, p. 709.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 114, p. 255, p. 271, p. 275, p. 276, p. 277, p. 34, p. 435, p. 435, p. 494, p. 570, p. 737, p. 757.
- The Danish Ingolf-Expedition. Copenhagen: H. Hagerup, 1899-1928. url p. 38.
- The Danish Ingolf-expedition. CopenhagenH. Hagerup1899-1953 url p. 38.
- The Journal of experimental zoology. [New York, etc.]Wiley-Liss [etc.] url p. 413, p. 413.
- The Journal of parasitology. Chicago [etc.] url p. 150, p. 160.
- The Proceedings and transactions of the Nova Scotian Institute of Science. Halifax, Nova Scotian Institute of Science. url p. 127.
- The Trematoda of British fishes. London, Sold by B. Quaritch, 1947. url p. 277.
- The United States Bureau of Fisheries, its establishment, functions, organization, resources, operations, and achievements. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1910. url p. 1373.
- The animals and man; an elementary textbook of zoology and human physiology, New York, H. Holt and Company, 1911. url .
- The animans and man; an elementary textbook of zoology and human physiology, by Vernon Lyman Kellogg. New York, H. Holt and company, 1911. url p. 197, p. 492.
- The biology of marine animals. New York, Interscience Publishers url p. 523.
- The development of the mesonephras and the Müllerian duct in Amphibia / Cambridge, Mass.: [s.n.]1904. url .
- The early development of lepas. A study of cell-lineage and germ-layers. By Maurice A. Bigelow. Cambridge, Mass., Printed for the Museum, 1902. url .
- The effects of atomic radiation on oceanography and fisheries, report. Washington, National Academy of Sciences-National Research Council, 1957. url p. 76.
- The fisheries and fishery industries of the United States. Prepared through the co-operation of the commissioner of fisheries and the superintendent of the tenth census by George Brown Goode. .. and a staff of associates. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1884-87. url p. 182, p. 881.
- The fishes found in the vicinity of Woods Hole. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1898. url p. 108.
- The fishes of North Carolina / Raleigh, N.C.: E.M. Uzzell, 1907. url .
- The fishes of North Carolina, by Hugh M. Smith. Raleigh, E. M. Uzzell & co., state printers and binders, 1907. url p. 390.
- The fishes of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the species of fish-like vertebrates found in the waters of North America, north of the Isthmus of Panama / by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum, 1896-1900. url p. 3311.
- The food and game fishes of New York: notes on their common names, distribution, habits and mode of capture. By Tarleton H. Bean. Albany, J. B. Lyon company, printers, 1903. url p. 459.
- The fungi / by Frederick A. Wolf and Frederick T. Wolf. New York: J. Wiley,  url p. 528.
- The microscopic anatomy of the teeth / by J. Howard Mummery London: Frowde, Hodder & Stoughton, 1919. url p. 194.
- The naturalist of the Saint Croix. Memoir of George A. Boardman. A selection from his correspondence and published writings, notices of friends and contemporaries, with his list of the birds of Maine and New Brunswick. By Samuel Lane Boardman... Bangor, Priv. print., 1903. url p. 317, p. 317, p. 317.
- The sportsman's gazetteer and general guide: the game animals, birds and fishes of North America; their habits and various methods of capture. Copious instructions in shooting, fishing, taxidermy, woodcraft, etc. Together with a directory to t by Charles Hallock. New York: "Forest and Stream" Publishing Company, 1877. url p. 239.
- Toxicity testing with fish, zooplankton and mussels: a comparison of sensitivities / by Anne E. Keller. 1989. url .
- Transactions - American Fisheries Society. Lawrence, Kan. [etc.] url p. 125, p. 52.
- Transactions of the American Fish-Cultural Association. New York: American Fish-Cultural Association, 1878-1884. url p. 67.
- Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. [Bethesda, MD, etc.: American Fisheries Society], 1900- url p. 125, p. 216, p. 52.
- Treaties and other international agreements on fisheries, oceanographic resources, and wildlife to which the United States is party / prepared at the request of Hon. Warren G. Magnuson for the use of the Committee on Commerce, United States Senate, by the Congressional Research Service, the Library of Congress. Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O., 1974. url p. 890.
- Unutilized fishes and their relation to the fishing industries / [by Irving A. Field]. Washington, D.c.: G.P.O., 1907. url p. 38.
- Wetlands in Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland Dept. of State Planning, 1973. url .
- Where, when, and how to catch fish on the east coast of Florida, by William H. Gregg, assisted by Capt. John Gardner. Buffalo: Matthews-Northrup, 1902. url p. 147.
- [A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1913] url p. 162, p. 163, p. 427, p. 58, p. 59, p. 9.
- Amaoka, Kunio (from FishBase).
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
- FishBase. Release date: January 5, 2010
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 01, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 10 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 01, 2008:
- Burke Museum: University of Washington Fish Collection
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Fish Collection
- Cornell University Museum of Vertebrates: Fish Collection
- FishBase: FishBase DiGIR Provider - Philippine Server
- GBIF-Sweden: Fishes (NRM)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: A Biological Survey of the Waters of Woods Hole and Vacinity
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Atlantic Reference Centre (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Bay of Fundy Species List (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Canadian Museum of Nature - Fish Collection (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: DFO Maritimes Research Vessel Trawl Surveys Fish Observations (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: ECNASAP - East Coast North America Strategic Assessment (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Electronic Atlas of Ichthyoplankton on the Scotian Shelf of North America (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Gulf of Maine Bottom Trawl Survey Data (NEFSC,NMFS,NOAA)(USOBIS)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Nova Scotia Museum of Natural History - Marine Birds, Mammals, and Fishes (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: South African Institute for Aquatic Biodiversity - Fish Collection (AfrOBIS)
- Museum national d'histoire naturelle: Ichtyologie
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University: MCZ Fish Collection
- Royal Ontario Museum: Fish specimens
- Senckenberg: Collection Pisces
- University of Kansas Biodiversity Research Center: Fish Collection
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 136671
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Fis-12375
- Fishbase Species ID: 524
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 14199290
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 172905
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 122400
- Scarratt, D.J. (1996). Atlantic Mariculture: Flounders. Communications Branch, Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Scotia-Fundy Region, Halifax, Canada. [back]
- Mean = -104.180 meters (-341.798 feet), Standard Deviation = 369.830 based on 7,690 observations. Ocean depth information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]