Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Pacific sand sole, sand sole, West American sand sole
Common Names in French:
Plie , Plie à points noirs
Common Names in Mandarin Chinese:
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Salish:
Typically found in water with a depth of 0 to -3,738 meters (0 to -12,264 feet).
Biome: Marine .
- Family: Inhabits sandy bottoms. Feeds on fishes, worms, ()
- Order: Pleuronectiformes ()
- Phylum: Chordata () - Chordates
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: Data last modified by FishBase 28-Jul-1994
Members of the genus Psettichthys
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 3 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... The genera of fishes. .. A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature. By David Starr Jordan. Stanford University, Calif., The University, 1917-1920. url p. 257.
- A catalogue of the fishes known to inhabit the waters of North America, north of the Tropic of Cancer, with notes on the species discovered in 1883 and 1884, by David Starr Jordan. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1885. url p. 135.
- A list of common and scientific names of fishes from the United States and Canada. Report presented at the eighty-ninth annual meeting, Clearwater, Fla., Sept. 16-18, 1959. Ann Arbor, Mich., 1960. url p. 47.
- A systematic monograph of the flatfishes (Heterosomata) / By J.R. Norman, &c. London, 1934. url p. 310, p. 327.
- American fishes; a popular treatise upon the game and food fishes of North America, with especial reference to habits and methods of capture, Boston, L. C. Page[c1903]. url , .
- American food and game fishes. A popular account of all the species found in America north of the equator, with keys for ready identification, life histories and methods of capture, . by David Starr Jordan...and Barton Warren Evermann...illustrated with colored plates and text drawings, and with photographs from life, by A. Radclyffe Dugmore. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & Co., 1908. url p. 565.
- American food and game fishes: A popular account of all the species found in America north of the equator, with keys of ready identification, life histories and methods of capture New York: Doubleday, Page & co., 1902. url .
- American food and game fishes: a popular account of all the species found in America, north of the equator, with keys for ready identification, life histories and methods of capture, by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann; with photos. from life by A. Radclyffe Dugmore. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1908, c1902. url p. 525, p. 565.
- An annotated list of Puget Sound fishes, Olympia [Wash.]State printer, 1919. url .
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 483.
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York, New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 358.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 543.
- Bio-ecology, by Frederic E. Clements. .. and Victor E. Shelford. .. New York, J. Wiley & Sons, inc.;1939. url p. 419.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 14, p. 252, p. 332, p. 73, p. 828.
- Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905-1950. url , , p. 224, p. 353, p. 353.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 227, p. 227.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 114, p. 167, p. 17, p. 258, p. 27, p. 34, p. 36, p. 41, p. 46, p. 82, p. 85, p. 89.
- Catalogue of the collection to illustrate the animal resources and the fisheries of the United States, exhibited at Philadelphia in 1876 by the Smithsonian Institution and the United States Fish Commission, and forming a part of the United States National Museum. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1879. url p. 332.
- Catalogue of the fishes in the British Museum / by Albert Gu?nther. .. [Tokyo?]: Kagaku Kisho Hakkokai, Sho?wa 13 . url p. 420.
- Catalogue of the fishes in the. .. Museum / by A. Günther 1862. url p. 420.
- Check list of the fishes of the Dominion of Canada and Newfoundland. Ottawa, Printed by C. H. Parmelee, 1913. url , , .
- Classification of the collection to illustrate the animal resources of the United States. A list of substances derived from the animal kingdom, with synopsis of the useful and injurious animals and a classification to the methods of capture and utilization. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1876. url .
- Commercial fisheries review. [Washington]: National Marine Fisheries Service; [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.] url p. 101, p. 21, p. 21, p. 35, p. 35.
- Contributions to North American ichthyology. Based primarily on the collections of the United States National Museum. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1877-78. url p. 28, p. 332, p. 71.
- Contributions to biology from the Hopkins Seaside Laboratory of the Leland Stanford Jr. University. Stanford University, Calif.: The University, 1895-1904. url p. 851.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 178.
- Dean bibliography of fishes. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1971-1973. url p. 76.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 440.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url , p. 135, p. 143, p. 401, p. 403, p. 417, p. 467, p. 478, p. 540, p. 542, p. 559, p. 560, p. 561, p. 564, p. 579, p. 611, p. 614, p. 615, p. 616, p. 618, p. 619, p. 711, p. 714, p. 722, p. 729, p. 819.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 18, p. 183.
- Fishery statistics of the United States / prepared by Data Management and Statistics Division. Washington, D.C.: Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service: url p. 391, p. 399, p. 432, p. 463, p. 464, p. 497, p. 504, p. 553, p. 730.
- Ichthyoplankton and station data for California Cooperative Oceanic Fisheries Investigations survey cruises in. .. [La Jolla, Calif.?]: National Marine Fisheries Service, 1987- url , , p. 10, p. 10, p. 10, p. 10, p. 157, p. 179, p. 216, p. 219, p. 220, p. 265, p. 29, p. 32, p. 47, p. 49, p. 49, p. 50, p. 50, p. 52, p. 52, p. 52, p. 53, p. 54, p. 56, p. 57, p. 57, p. 59, p. 59, p. 60, p. 64, p. 66, p. 68, p. 71, p. 71, p. 71, p. 75, p. 75, p. 75, p. 77, p. 79, p. 79, p. 8, p. 80, p. 83, p. 84, p. 85, p. 89, p. 9, p. 9, p. 9, p. 9, p. 9, p. 9, p. 9.
- Keys to the fishes of Washington, Oregon and closely adjoining regions, by Leonard P. Schultz. Seattle, Wash., University of Washington Press, 1936. url p. 226.
- NOAA technical report NMFS SSRF. Seattle, Wash.: National Marine Fisheries Service; url p. 6.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 28.
- Ontogeny and systematics of fishes: based on an international symposium dedicated to the memory of Elbert Halvor Ahlstrom / sponsored by the National Marine Fisheries Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, United States Dept. of Commerce. [New York?]: American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists, c1984. url p. 659.
- Our living oceans: report on the status of U.S. living marine resources, 1999. [Washington, D.C.?]: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service,  url p. 291.
- Our living oceans: the first annual report on the status of U.S. living marine resources. [Washington, D.C.]: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, 1991. url p. 120.
- Pamphlets on forestry. Fish and game. [1900?- url , p. 2618, p. 3310.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 139.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 413, p. 654.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 377, p. 377, p. 440, p. 453, p. 464, p. 477, p. 659, p. 67, p. 670, p. 670, p. 752.
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url , , , , p. 14, p. 14, p. 184, p. 226, p. 241, p. 241, p. 28, p. 28, p. 331, p. 347, p. 473, p. 499, p. 499, p. 923.
- Report of the United States Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year. .. with appendixes Washington: G.P.O., 1914- url p. 1061, p. 343, p. 545.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Made under the direction of the secretary of war, in 1853-. .. Washington, A.O.P. Nicholson, Printer [etc.]1855-60. url , , , p. 154, p. 154, p. 24, p. 24, p. 87.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 22 1882 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 2, p. 453, p. 464, p. 667, p. 67, p. 71, p. 76.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 25.
- The fisheries and fishery industries of the United States. Prepared through the co-operation of the commissioner of fisheries and the superintendent of the tenth census by George Brown Goode. .. and a staff of associates. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1884-87. url p. 186, p. 187, p. 773.
- The fishes of North and Middle America a descriptive catalogue of the species of fish-like vertebrates found in the waters of North America, north of the Isthmus of Panama / by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann. Washington: G.P.O., 1898. url .
- The fishes of Puget sound, by David Starr Jordan and Edwin Chapin Starks. Palo Alto, Cal., Leland Stanford Junior University, 1895. url p. 851.
- The fur seals and fur-seal islands of the North Pacific ocean. Washington, Govt. Print. Off.1898-99. url .
- The genera of fishes. ..: A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature / By David Starr Jordan. Stanford University, Calif.: The University, 1917-1920. url p. 257.
- The lipids, their chemistry and biochemistry. New York, Interscience Publishers, 1951-57. url p. 998.
- Washington State Coastal Zone Management Program amendment no. 3: approval of the Grays Harbor estuary management plan: program draft environmental impact statement. [Olympia, Wash.?]: Grays Harbor Regional Planning Commission; 1983. url p. 19.
- Amaoka, Kunio (from FishBase).
- American Fisheries Society. Common and Scientific Names of Fishes from the United states, Canada, and Mexico Sixth Edition. Special Publication 29.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
- FishBase. Release date: January 5, 2010
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 04, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 7 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 04, 2008:
- Burke Museum: University of Washington Fish Collection
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Fish Collection
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Canadian Museum of Nature - Fish Collection (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: NODC WOD01 Plankton Database
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: North Pacific Groundfish Observer (North Pacific Research Board)
- Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History: Vertebrate specimens
- Museum national d'histoire naturelle: Ichtyologie
- Royal Ontario Museum: Fish specimens
- University of Kansas Biodiversity Research Center: Fish Collection
- University of Minnesota Bell Museum of Natural History: Fish specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 136329
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Fis-30880
- Fishbase Species ID: 4255
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13789558
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 172928
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: AFCTB18010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 121741