Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
American Bushtit, Bushtit, Bushtit (Black-eared), Bushtit (Interior), Bushtit (Pacific), Black-eared Bushtit, black-tailed bushtit, coast bushtit, Common Bushtit, Lead-colored Bushtit, least titmouse, Lloyd's bushtit, plumbeous titmouse
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Spanish:
Length : 3.5 inches.
Vegetation: tropical lowland evergreen forest, pine-oak forests, arid montane scrubs • Minimum Elevation: 1,200 meters • Maximum Elevation: 3,600 meters • Foraging Strata: Canopy • Center of Abundance: Upper montaine: mountains, upper range, above 3,600 m. • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Low
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 5,013 meters (0 to 16,447 feet).
List of Habitats
- 1 Forest
- 1.1 Forest - Boreal
- 1.4 Forest - Temperate
- 1.5 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 1.9 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Montane
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.4 Shrubland - Temperate
- 3.5 Shrubland - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 3.7 Shrubland - Subtropical/Tropical High Altitude
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.5 Artificial/Terrestrial - Urban Areas
- 14.6 Artificial/Terrestrial - Subtropical/Tropical Heavily Degraded Former Forest [more info]
Mostly: Insects. Lesser Quantities of: Plant Matter
- Breeding Habitat : Successional-scrub
- Nest Location: Mid-story/canopy nesting
- Clutch Size: 5-7
- Length of Incubation : 12 days
- Days to Fledge : 14-15
- Number of Broods: 2
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- Order: Passeriformes () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superorder: Passerimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Psaltriparus minimus (Townsend, 1837)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 24-Jun-1996
Long tail, short bill and dull plumage make the bushtit unlikely to be confused with any other bird.
Members of the genus Psaltriparus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 13 species and subspecies in this genus:
P. melanotis (Black-Eared Bushtit) · P. melanotis melanotis (Black-Eared Bushtit) · (Bushtit (Black-Eared)) · (Bushtit) · P. minimus cecaumenorum (Bushtit) · (American Bushtit) · P. minimus lloydi (Bushtit) · (American Bushtit) · (Bushtit) · (American Bushtit) · (American Bushtit) · (American Bushtit) · P. minimus socialbilis (Bushtit)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A List of birds' eggs in the collection of Mr. William Stoate, Wembdon, Bridgewater. [188-?] url p. 12.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds with notes on the distribution of the species / by Montague Chamberlain. Saint John, N.B.: J. McMillan, 1887. url , p. 115.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds, By Montague Chamberlain. Saint John, N.B., J. & A. McMillan, 1887. url p. 115, p. 115, p. 138, p. 138.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds: with notes on the distribution of the species / Saint John, N.B.: J. & A. McMillan, 1887. url , .
- A check list of North American birds. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url p. 29.
- A check list of North-American birds by Elliott Coues. Salem, Mass.: F.W. Putnam, 1879. url .
- A checklist of the vertebrate animals of Kansas / George D. Potts, Joseph T. Collins. [Lawrence, Kan.]: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1991. url p. 15.
- A first book upon the birds of Oregon and Washington; a pocket guide and pupil's assistant in a study of most of the land birds and a few of the water birds of these states. By William Rogers Lord. Portland, Ore., W. R. Lord, 1913 [c1902] url p. 278.
- A history of North American birds / by S. F. Baird, T. M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. 1 1905 Boston: Little, Brown, 1905. url figure , figure , p. 108, p. 109, p. 110.
- A history of North American birds Boston, Little, Brown and Co., 1874. url p. 109, p. 110.
- A history of North American birds land birds / by S. F. Baird, T.M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Boston: Little, Brown, 1874. url p. 108.
- A history of North American birds, by S.F. Baird, T.M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Land birds, illustrated by 64 chromo-lithographic plates and 593 woodcuts. Boston, Little, Brown, 1875. url p. 110, p. 111.
- A manual of North American birds by Robert Ridgway. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1887. url , , , .
- A manual of North American birds. By Robert Ridgway. Illustrated by 464 outline drawings of the generic characters. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott company, 1896. url p. 564, p. 629.
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Co., 1900. url p. 564, p. 621, p. 629.
- Across lots, Boston, D. Lothrop company url .
- American birds studied and photographed from life / by William Lovell Finley. Illustrated with photographs by Herman T. Bohlman and the author. New York: Scribner's sons, 1907. url p. 149, p. 157.
- American birds, studied and photographed from life, by William Lovell Finley; illustrated from photographs by Herman T. Bohlman and the author. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1907. url p. 105, p. 111.
- Animal Ecology. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall, 1961. url p. 451.
- Animal life; a first book of zoo?logy; New York, D.Appleton and Company, 1900. url , .
- Animal life; a first book of zoölogy; by David S. Jordan. .. and Vernon L. Kellogg. .. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1900. url p. 270, p. 326.
- Animals; a text-book of zoology, by David S. Jordan. .. Vernon L. Kellogg. .. and Harold Heath. New York, D. Appleton, 1907, c1902. url p. 270, p. 326.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 208, p. 82, p. 86.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 162.
- Annual report of the Laguna Marine Laboratory / Pomona College. Claremont, Calif.: Dept. of Biology, Pomona College, 1912- url p. 64.
- Bird blow flies (Protocalliphora) in North America (Diptera: Calliphoridae), with notes on the Palearctic species / Curtis W. Sabrosky, Gordon F. Bennett, and Terry L. Whitworth. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, c1989. url p. 232.
- Bird lore. New York City: Macmillan Co., c1899-c1940. url p. 98.
- Bird migration in the Mississippi Valley / by W.W. Cooke and Otto Widman [i.e. Widmann] [Chicago?]: The American Field, 1883. url p. 55.
- Bird notes afield; a series of essays on the birds of California, by Charles A. Keeler. San Francisco, D.P. Elder & M. Shepard, 1899. url p. 347.
- Bird notes afield; essays on the birds of the Pacific coast with a field check list, by Charles Keeler; illustrated with reproductions of photographs. San Franciso and New York, P. Elder and company[1907, c1906] url p. 205.
- Bird-lore. New York, National Association of Audubon Societies. url p. 98, p. 98.
- Birds / by Spencer Fullerton Baird; with the co-operation of John Cassin and George N. Lawrence. Washington, D.C., 1858. url , p. 396, p. 397, p. 398.
- Birds and nature in natural colors: being a scientific and popular treatise on four hundred birds of the United States and Canada. Chicago: A.W. Mumford, Publisher, 1913-1914. url p. 344.
- Birds of California: an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies / Chicago: A.C. McClurg, 1912, c1903. url .
- Birds of California; an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies, Chicago, A. C. McClurg, 1904. url , .
- Birds of South Carolina, Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url , , , .
- Birds of South Carolina, by Arthur Trezevant Wayne. With an introduction by the editor. Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url , p. 211, p. 231.
- Birds of the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangel Island = (Ptitsy Chukotskogo poluostrova i ostrova Vrangelya) / L.A. Portenko; translated from Russian [by P.M. Rao]. New Delhi: Published for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C., by Amerind Pub. Co., 1981- url p. 350.
- Birds of the Colorado Valley: a repository of scientific and popular information concerning North American ornithology / by Elliott Coues. Washington: G.P.O., 1878. url p. 124.
- Birds of the Colorado valley. .. scientific and popular information concerning North American ornithology. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1878. url p. 125.
- Birds; a miscellaneous collection of 37 pamphlets about birds. Collected and privately bound by Alvin Seale, 1914. v.p., 1910-1913 url p. 242, p. 37, p. 60.
- Brigham Young University science bulletin. 9 1967 Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, [1955-1976] url p. 43.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 100, p. 14, p. 1862, p. 233, p. 256, p. 268, p. 323, p. 338, p. 426, p. 432, p. 434, p. 435, p. 436, p. 460, p. 483, p. 486, p. 489, p. 64, p. 684, p. 761, p. 790.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1970 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url fig. 10, p. 55.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Biological Survey. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1907. url .
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 168.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute. url p. 172, p. 180, p. 35.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 41 1902 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 205, p. 205, p. 231, p. 231, p. 455.
- Bulletin of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, [1876-1883] url p. 117, p. 256.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1971- url p. 129.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 172, p. 180, p. 35.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 128, p. 207.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds. .. Ottawa, Printed by S. E. Dawson, 1900-04. url .
- Catalogue of North American birds, chiefly in the Museum of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington, Smithsonian Institution, 1859. url .
- Catalogue of a collection of American birds / belonging to Philip Lutley Sclater. London: N. Trubner and Co., 1862. url p. 13.
- Catalogue of mammals, birds, reptiles, and fishes, of the Dominion of Canada Montréal?: s.n., 1878? url .
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 862.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 862.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 56.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 312.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British Museum (Natural History) London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 312.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 236, p. 485, p. 496, p. 502, p. 504, p. 512.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url , , .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 395, p. 662, p. 663, p. 670, p. 676, p. 681, p. 685.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 517, p. 808.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 59, p. 61.
- Color key to North American birds, with bibliographical appendix, by Frank M. Chapman. .. with upwards of 800 drawings, by Chester A. Reed, B.S. New York, D. Appleton & Company, 1912. url p. 242, p. 242.
- Eggs of North American birds; by Chas. J. Maynard. Illustrated with ten hand-colored plates. Boston, De Wolfe, Fiske & co., 1890. url p. 149.
- Elkhorn Slough Estuarine Sanctuary: proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award for Elkhorn Slough, Monterey County, California / Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1979? url .
- Field notes on amphibians, reptiles and birds of northern Humboldt County, Nevada, with a discussion of some of the faunal features of the region, Berkeley, University of California Press, 1912. url .
- Field ornithology comprising a manual of instruction for procuring, preparing and preserving birds and a check list of North American birds / by Elliott Coues. Boston: Estes & Lauriat, 1874. url .
- Field ornithology. Comprising a manual of instruction for procuring, preparing and preserving birds, and a check list of North American birds Salem [Mass.]Naturalists' Agency, 1874 url p. 11.
- For California. San Francisco: California Promotion Committee, 1903- url p. 10.
- Genera avium / Brussels: V. Verteneuil & L. Desmet, 1905-1914. url p. 54, p. 55.
- Genera insectorum / publiés par P. Wytsman. Bruxelles, L. Desmet-Verteneuil [etc.]1902-1970. url p. 55.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1976 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 153, p. 224.
- Handbook of birds of the western United States: including the Great Plains, Great Basin, Pacific Slope, and lower Rio Grande Valley / by Florence Merriam Bailey. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1915, c1902. url p. 460.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and Lower California Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1896. url , p. 867.
- Land birds of the Pacific district / by Lyman Belding. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, 1890. url p. 243.
- Land birds of the Pacific district, San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences, 1890. url .
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url map 73, page 157, p. 273, p. xvii.
- Natural history. A manual of zoölogy for schools, colleges, and the general reader / By Sanborn Tenney. New York: Scribner, Armstrong & co., c1872. url .
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 743.
- Nests and eggs of American birds. By Ernest Ingersoll. Parts 1-7. Salem, Mass., S.E. Cassino[c1880] url p. 55.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds, Philadelphia, D. McKay[c1900] url .
- New York State Museum bulletin. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 82, p. 86.
- North American birds eggs, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1904. url .
- North American birds eggs, by Chester A. Reed...illustrating the eggs of nearly every species of North American birds. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1904. url p. 324.
- North American birds eggs. New York: Dover Pub, . url p. 324.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 12, p. 48.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 243.
- Ornithologist and oo?logist Pawtucket, R.I. url p. 136.
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 488, p. 517.
- Our living world; an artistic edition of the Rev. J. G. Wood's Natural history of animate creation. New York: S. Hess,  url p. 650.
- Our native birds of song and beauty, being a complete history of all the songbirds, flycatchers, hummingbirds, swifts, goatsuckers, woodpeckers, kingfishers, trogons, cuckoos, and parrots, of North America. 1 1893 Milwaukee, G. Brumder, 1893-96. url p. 119, p. 121, p. 122.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 105, p. 12, p. 163, p. 163, p. 165, p. 209, p. 72, p. 78, p. 93, p. 93.
- Part I. Palæontology. By F. B. Meek. Part II. Palæontology. By James Hall and R. P. Whitfield. Part III. Ornithology. By Robert Ridgway... Washington, Govt. print. off., 1877. url p. 335, p. 387, p. 413.
- Point Lobos Reseerve; State Park, California. Interpretation of a primitive landscape. Sacramento, [State Print. Off., 1954] url p. 96.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 402, p. 419.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 107, p. 107, p. 13, p. 13, p. 16, p. 189, p. 189, p. 191, p. 191, p. 585, p. 585, p. 846, p. 886, p. 886.
- Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society held at Philadelphia for promoting useful knowledge. Philadelphia: American Philosophical Society url p. 178.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 124, p. 830, p. 833, p. 89.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 278, p. 335, p. 402, p. 419, p. 765.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 6 1883 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 155, p. 169, p. 25, p. 344, p. 354, p. 496, p. 73, p. 74, p. 79, p. 98.
- Provincial Museum of Natural History and Enthnology. Victoria, B.C., Printed by Richard Wolfenden, 1909. url p. 69.
- Report of the Geological Exploration of the Fortieth Parallel, made by order of the Secretary of War according to acts of Congress of March 2, 1867, and March 3, 1869 / Washington: Government Printing Office, 1870-1880. url p. 333, p. 335, p. 413.
- Report of the Geological exploration of the fortieth parallel made by order of the Secretary of War according to acts of Congress of March 2, 1867, and March 3, 1869, under the direction of. .. A.A. Humphreys, chief of engineers, by Clarence King, U.S. geologist Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1870-80 url p. 333, p. 335, p. 413.
- Report of the geological exploration of the fortieth parallel / Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1870-80 url p. 333, p. 335, p. 387, p. 413.
- Report upon United States Geographical Surveys West of the One Hundredth Meridian / Washington [D.C.]: G.P.O., 1875-1889. url , p. 171, p. 491.
- Report upon ornithological specimens collected in the years 1871, 1872, and 1873 / U. S. Army, Engineer Dept., Geographical and Geological Explorations and Surveys West of the One hundredth Meridian; [by H.C. Yarrow and H.W. Henshaw]. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1874. url p. 40, p. 99.
- Report upon the ornithological collections made in portions of Nevade, Utah, California, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona, during the years 1871, 1872, 1873, and 1874, by H.W. Henshaw. Washington, D.C., 1875 url p. 500, p. 985.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Washington, A. O. P. Nicholson, printer [etc.]1855-60. url , , , .
- Review of American birds in the Museum of the Smithsonian Instution. by S.F. Baird. Washington: The Institution, 1864-1872. url .
- Review of American birds, in the Museum of the Smithsonian institution. Part I. By S. F. Baird. Washington, Smithsonian Institution, 1864-1866. url p. 84.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 352.
- Significance of white markings in birds of the order Passeriformes / Berkeley: The University Press, 1910. url , .
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 22 1882 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 169, p. 3, p. 396, p. 401, p. 401, p. 406, p. 454, p. 46, p. 496, p. 8, p. 84, p. 85.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 25.
- The American oologists' exchange price list of North American birds' eggs, 1922 / compiled by a committee of twenty-five prominent American oologists. Lacon, Ill.: R. Magoon Barnes, 1922. url p. 86.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url , p. 107, p. 135, p. 137, p. 140, p. 171, p. 178, p. 186, p. 195, p. 201, p. 203, p. 228, p. 256, p. 287, p. 362, p. 393, p. 419, p. 45, p. 475, p. 500, p. 501, p. 502, p. 510, p. 511, p. 521, p. 522, p. 533, p. 541, p. 67, p. 75.
- The Avicultural magazine. Ascot, Berkshire, etc.: Avicultural Society, etc. url p. 98.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 38 1924 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , p. 216, p. 229, p. 393, p. 394, p. 737, p. 94.
- The Coues check list of North American birds. Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url p. 29.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 16 1956 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url johnson, page 32, p. 482, p. 720, p. 734.
- The Nidologist. New York City: Henry Reed Taylor, [1895-1897] url p. 8.
- The Oo?logist for the student of birds, their nests and eggs. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886- url p. 181, p. 227.
- The Oregon naturalist. Oregon City, Or.: Naturalist Pub. Co., url p. 152, p. 3.
- The Osprey. Galesburg, Ill.: The Osprey Co., 1897-1902. url p. 7.
- The Warbler. Floral Park: Mayflower Pub. Co., [1903-1913] url p. 104.
- The Wilson bulletin. Columbus, Ohio: Wilson Ornithological Society, 1894- url p. 37.
- The bird book, illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs, Worcester, Mass., C. K. Reed, 1914. url .
- The bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds; also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1915. url p. 438.
- The birds of North America: one hundred and nineteen artistic colored plates representing the different species and varieties drawn and colored from nature: including a copious text giving a popular account of their habits and 1903 New York: Published under the auspices of the Natural Science Association of America, 1903. url p. 135.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , , , , , , , , , .
- The birds of Washington: a complete, scientific and popular account of the 372 species of birds found in the state / by William Leon Dawson. .. assisted by John Hooper Bowles. .. illustrated by more than 300 original half-tones of birds in life, nests, eggs, and favorite haunts, from photographs by the author and ot Seattle: The Occidental publishing co., 1909. url p. 284.
- The birds of Washington; a complete, scientific and popular account of the 372 species of birds found in the state, by William Leon Dawson, assisted by John Hooper Bowles. Illustrated by more than 300 original half-tones of birds in life, nests, eggs, and favorite haunts, from photographs by the author and others, Seattle: The Occidental Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 284, p. 993.
- The book of birds, common birds of town and country and American game birds, by Henry W. Henshaw. Illustrated in natural colors with 250 paintings, by Louis Agassiz Fuertes; with chapters of "Encouraging birds around the home, " by F. H. Kennard; "The mysteries of bird migratio 1918 Washington, D. C.: National Geographic Society, 1918. url p. 26.
- The book of birds; common birds of town and country and American game birds, by Henry W. Henshaw; illustrated in natural colors with 250 paintings by Louis Agassiz Fuertes. Washington, D.C., National geographic society url p. 26.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 337, p. 337, p. 337.
- The condor. Santa Clara, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, [1900- url p. 205, p. 44.
- The hebes group of the Dipterous genus Tipula linnaeus / Philadelphia?: American Entomological Society, 1914 url p. 130.
- The natural history of Washington territory, with much relating to Minnesota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oregon, and California, between the thirty-sixth and forty-ninth parallels of latitude, being those parts of the final reports on the survey of the N By J. G. Cooper, M. D., and Dr. G. Suckley. .. This edition contains a new preface, giving a sketch of the explorations, a classified table of contents, and the latest additions by the authors. With f London, Baillière brothers, 1859. url p. 195, p. 396.
- The naturalist in Vancouver Island and British Columbia London: R. Bentley, 1866. url .
- The naturalist's manual: containing descriptions of the nests and eggs of North American birds. (Turididae-Tanagridae.) Also instructions for collecting and preserving birds, nests, eggs & insects / by Oliver Davie. Columbus, Ohio: Columbus Printing Works, 1882. url p. 31.
- The oologists' hand-book: 1885 catalogue of American birds' eggs, and oological supplies, with prices at which they may be obtained of / Frank H. Lattin. Rochester (N.Y.): John P. Smith, Printer, 1885. url p. 8.
- The standard catalogue of North American birds eggs. Albion, N.Y., F.H. Lattin, 1892. url p. 51.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 14 1967 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 294, p. 49, p. 7.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 291, p. 300, p. 419, p. 543.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 1 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 627, p. 685.
- Yearbook of the United States Department of Agriculture. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1895-1920. url p. 194.
- Zoe:a biological journal. 2 1891 San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 198, p. 246, p. 246.
- BirdLife International 2004. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 18, 2008.
- BirdLife International 2009. Psaltriparus minimus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 04February2012.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 and ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 12, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 17 providers.
- Hines, J. E., Gregory Gough, J. R. Sauer, et al. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- NatureServe. 2003. Downloadable animal data sets. NatureServe Central Databases. Accessed February 6, 2005.
- Parker III, T.A., D.F. Stotz, and J.W. Fitzpatrick, and quot;Ecological and Distributional Databases for Neotropical Birds, and quot; in Neotropical Birds: Ecology and Conservation, by D.F. Stotz, T.A. Parker III, J.W. Fitzpatrick, and D.K. Moskovits (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1996). ISBN 0-226-64676-9.
- Peterson, Alan P. Zoological Nomenclature Resource. Accessed June 19, 2009.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- Sauer, J. R., J. E. Hines, and J. Fallon. 2005. The North American Breeding Bird Survey, Results and Analysis 1966 - 2004. Version 2005.2. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
- Sauer, J. R., S. Schwartz, and B. Hoover. 1996. The Christmas Bird Count Home Page. Version 95.1. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 12, 2008:
- Avian Knowledge Network: eBird
- Avian Knowledge Network: Great Backyard Bird Count
- Avian Knowledge Network: Project FeederWatch
- Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds (Aves)
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Royal British Columbia Museum
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Bird Collection
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology: Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History: Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- UCLA-Dickey Bird Collection (UCLA-Dickey): Bird specimens
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM: CNAV/Coleccion Nacional de Aves
- University of Alaska Museum of the North: MSB Birds Specimens
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ): Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 5324
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-178765
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481187
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 178764
- IUCN ID: 236606
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABPAY01010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 13345