Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Goose Neck Barnacle, Gooseneck Barnacle, Leaf Barnacle
Common Names in German:
Entenmuschel, Blättrige Entenmuschel
Species Pollicipes polymerus
The body of this organism is up to 8 cm long. The capitulum is protected by five large, whitish plates and several smaller ones which lie in basal whorls. The carina lacks spines, and the tough, fleshy peduncle allows for elasticity to the force of the surface. The color is dark brown and contains many calcareous spicules embedded in its surface. 
Prefers open, surf-swept coastlines. It has also been reported to occur on other barnacles on the skin of Humpback Whales . Depth Range : M. polymerus occurs in the high to middle intertidal zones. 
Feeds by growing outward so that it can extend its cirri in a fan oriented perpendicular to the backwash of the waves. Small particles of detritus and tiny crustaceans get caught in the cirri, which are subsequently eaten.
In the Puget Sound , Goose Neck barnacles breed from April to October, peaking in July. Individuals are hermaphroditic , but will always cross-fertilize. Each sexually mature individual may produce up to four broods per year, with up to 20,000 developed young per brood. The young aggregate at the base of the adults , where their survival rate increases. Within one month they are able to attain independence . 
Predators of M. polymerus include the ochre sea star (Pisaster ochraceus) and the Glaucous-winged Gull (Larus glaucescens). M. polymerus directly competes with the California Mussel (Mytilus californianus) and can often out-compete them. M. polymerus often grows in tight bunches (rosettes) which make them more resistant to predation .
- Chatton, 1925
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Latreille, 1829
- Zrzavý et al., 1997
- (Chernyshev, 1960)
- Pennant, 1777
- Zrzavý et al., 1997
- Gruvel, 1905
- Infraclass: Cirripedia () - Burmeister, 1834
- Subclass: Thecostraca () - Gruvel, 1905
- Epiclass: Eucrustacea () - Zrzavý et al., 1997
- Superclass: Crustacea () - Pennant, 1777 - Crustaceans
- Infraphylum: Crustaceomorpha () - (Chernyshev, 1960)
- Subphylum: Pancrustacea () - Zrzavý et al., 1997
- Phylum: Arthropoda () - Latreille, 1829 - Arthropods
- Superphylum: Panarthropoda () - Cuvier
- Infrakingdom: Ecdysozoa () - A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 27-Dec-2004
There is a pelagic goose barnacle, Lepas anatifera, frequently found in the Pacific Northwest that looks somewhat similar to M. polymerus, however is has fewer plates and only occurs in the open sea and on driftwood washed ashore. There is a closely related European species, Pollicipes pollicipes, which is cooked and served as a delicacy. However, it is now in short supply and M. polymerus has been exported from British Columbia to Portugal and Spain. (Ref. 109953)
Members of the genus Pollicipes
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 1 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of the shells, arranged according to the Lamarckian system: with their authorities, synonymes, and references to works where figured or described, contained in the collection of John C. Jay. New York: Craighead, 1850. url p. 7.
- A conchological manual / by G.B. Sowerby, jun. London: H.G. Bohn, 1852. url p. 249.
- A conchological manual. First Edition. / by G.B. Sowerby, Jun. London: G.B. Sowerby, 1839. url p. 117.
- A monograph on the sub-class Cirripedia, with figures of all the species. By Charles Darwin. London, Ray society, 1851-54. url p. 266, p. 294, p. 297, p. 298, p. 302, p. 306, p. 307, p. 309, p. 311, p. 312, p. 313, p. 314, p. 315, p. 331, p. 389, p. 395.
- A treatise on zoology / edited by E. Ray Lankester. London: A. & C. Black, 1900-1909. url p. 331.
- A treatise on zoology London, A. and C. Black, 1900-1909 url p. 331.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 65, p. 97, p. 97.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1971- url , p. 135, p. 78, p. 79, p. 80.
- Bulletins of American paleontology. 50 1966 Ithaca, N.Y., Paleontological Research Institution [etc.] url p. 54.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 214, p. 256.
- Classification of wetlands and deepwater habitats of the United States / by Lewis M. Cowardin. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior, 1979. url p. 41, p. 6.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 159, p. 558, p. 640, p. 716, p. 955.
- Ecological effects of an artificial island, Rincon Island, Punta Gorda, California / by G.F. Johnson and L.A. deWit; prepared for U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Coastal Engineering Research Center. Fort Belvoir, Va.: Available from National Technical Information Service,  url p. 24, p. 52.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url p. 48, p. 51.
- Geological magazine. London [etc.]Cambridge University Press. url p. 499.
- Illinois biological monographs. Urbana, Univ. of Illinois Press. url p. 32, p. 47.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 9 1976 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 72.
- Monograph of the Palaeontographical Society. London: Printed for the Palaeontographical Society, [1847?- url .
- Occasional papers - San Diego Society of Natural History. 1964 San Diego, The Society. url p. 12.
- Ocean pollution. Hearings, Ninety-third Congress, first session on S. 1067. .. S. 1070. .. [and] S. 1351. .. June 12, 13, and 28, 1973. Washington, U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1974. url p. 72.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 1184, p. 1186, p. 1187, p. 1188, p. 1196, p. 1197, p. 1198, p. 1202.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, 1979- url p. 427.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 158.
- Proceedings of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 1992 [San Diego, Calif.]: San Diego Society of Natural History, 1990- url fig. 2, page 3, p. 5.
- Shells and sea life. Phoenix, AZ: Miranda Enterprises, url p. 64.
- Smithsonian year. 1974 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965-1976. url p. 297.
- Studies on gregarines II: Synopsis of the polycystid gregarines of the world, excluding those from the Myriapoda, Orthoptera, and Coleoptera, Urbana, Ill., University of Illinois press, c1922 url p. 32, p. 47.
- Studies on gregarines, including descriptions of twenty-one new species and a synopsis of the eugregarine records from the Myriapoda, Coleoptera and Orthoptera of the world, with fifteen plates, by Minnie Elizabeth Watson. Urbana: University of Illinois, 1916 url p. 32, p. 47.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 169, p. 174, p. 192, p. 194, p. 262, p. 28, p. 284, p. 29, p. 296, p. 297, p. 31, p. 33, p. 35, p. 36, p. 36, p. 37, p. 37, p. 40, p. 41, p. 42, p. 430, p. 438, p. 442, p. 443.
- The early development of lepas. A study of cell-lineage and germ-layers. By Maurice A. Bigelow. Cambridge, Mass., Printed for the Museum, 1902. url p. 65, p. 97.
- The standard natural history. Ed. by John Sterling Kingsley. Boston, S.E. Cassino and company, 1884-85. url p. 19.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 17 1975 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 293, p. 303.
- Zoe:a biological journal. 3 1892 San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 154.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Abteilung für Anatomie und Ontogenie der Tiere Jena [Germany]:G. Fischer, c -1993. url p. 386.
- Zoologiska bidrag från Uppsala. Stockholm [etc.]Almqvist & Wiksells. url p. 149, p. 164, p. 165, p. 392.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
- Dave Cowles
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed February 29, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from provider.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 29, 2008:
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Gwaii Haanas Invertebrates (OBIS Canada)
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 521967
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-89476
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481187
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 89476
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ICCIR01010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 153485