Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Arabic:
Common Names in Breton:
Common Names in Danish:
Gr, Gråsej, Mørksej, Sej
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
American pollack, Billet, Coal fish, Coal-fish, Coalfish, Coley, Glassan, Gloshan, Green cod, Kench cure, Pollock, Poodler, Saithe, Sillock
Common Names in Faroese:
Bl, Bláseiður, Murtur, Nótarseiður, Pálur, Sei, Seiður, Sildasei, Sildaseiður, St, Stórseiður, Streymsei, Streymseiður, Støðuseiður, Summarsei, Summarseiður, Ternumurtur, Tr, Træveturseiður, Tv, Tvæveturseiður, Upsi, Vetursei, Veturseiður
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Colin, goberge, Gorberge, Greslin, Lieu noir, Merlan noir, Merlan vert, Merluche, Saida, Salage à sec
Common Names in German:
Blaufisch, Köhler, Köhler (Fisch), Seelachs
Common Names in Icelandic:
Common Names in Italian:
Merluzzo Carbonaro, Merluzzo nero
Common Names in Korean:
Common Names in Lithuanian:
Common Names in Malay:
Common Names in Mandarin Chinese:
Common Names in Manx:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Norwegian Nynorsk:
Common Names in Persian:
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Common Names in Romanian:
Common Names in Rumanian:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Bacalao, Carbonero, Col, Faneca plataeada carbonero, Fogonero, Palero
Common Names in Spanish, Castilian:
Bacalao, Carbonero, Colín, Faneca plataeada carbonero, Fogonero, Palero
Common Names in Swedish:
Gr, Gråsej, Sej
An active , gregarious fish occurring inshore and offshore waters .
Typically found in water with a depth of 0 to -4,869 meters (0 to -15,974 feet).
Biome: Marine .
Usually enters coastal waters in spring and returns to deeper waters in winter.
Sound types : thumps. Sound organ: swim bladder.
- Chatton, 1925
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Grobben, 1908
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Zittel, 1879
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Woodward, 1891
- Regan, 1923
- Müller, 1845
- de Pinna, 1996
- (Greenwood et al., 1966)
- Superorder: Paracanthopterygii () - Greenwood et al., 1966 [polyphyletic?]
- Cohort: Euteleosteomorpha () - (Greenwood et al., 1966)
- Supercohort: Teleocephala () - de Pinna, 1996
- Infraclass: Teleostei () - Müller, 1845
- Subclass: Neopterygii () - Regan, 1923
- Class: Actinopterygii () - Woodward, 1891
- Superclass: Gnathostomata () - Zittel, 1879 - Jawed Vertebrates
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Superphylum: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Animals
Gadus carbonarius Linnaeus • Gadus colinus Lacepède • Gadus purpureus Mitchill • Gadus sey Lacepède • Gadus virens • Gadus virens Linnaeus • Gadus virens Linnaeus, 1758 • Merlangus carbonarius (Linnaeus • Merlangus purpureus (Mitchill • Merlangus virens (Linnaeus • Polachius virens • Polachius virens (Linnaeus • Polachius virens (Linnaeus, 1758) • Pollachius carbonarius (Linnaeus • Pollachius virens
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: Data last modified by FishBase 29-Apr-1996
Members of the genus Pollachius
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 2 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... Catalogue of the fishes of New York. By Tarleton H. Bean. .. Albany, University of the state of New York, 1903. url p. 693.
- ...Scientific results of the cruises of the yachts "Eagle" and "Ara", 1921-1928, William K. Vanderbilt, commanding. Crustacea... By Lee Boone. Huntington, N. Y., Priv. print. [The Science press printing company, Lancaster, Pa.]1930- url p. 11.
- A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity / By Francis B. Sumner, Raymond C. Osburn, and Leon J. Cole. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1913 url p. 164, p. 582, p. 588, p. 641, p. 642, p. 769, p. 854.
- A checklist of Canadian Atlantic fishes with keys for identification / Toronto, Royal Ontario Museum, 1965 url p. 12.
- A guide book to the marine fishes of Rhode Island. Photos by the author. Watch Hill, R. I., Book and Tackle Shop url p. 102, p. 35.
- A guide to the study of fishes, by David Starr Jordan. .. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1905. url p. 209.
- A list of common and scientific names of fishes from the United States and Canada. Report presented at the eighty-ninth annual meeting, Clearwater, Fla., Sept. 16-18, 1959. Ann Arbor, Mich., 1960. url p. 22.
- A manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern United States: including the district north and east of the Ozark mountains, south of the Laurentian hills, north of the southern boundary of Virginia, and east of the Missouri river, inclusive of marine species / Chicago:A. C. McClurg, 1916. url .
- American fishes; a popular treatise upon the game and food fishes of North America, with especial reference to habits and methods of capture, Boston, L. C. Page[c1903]. url .
- American food and game fishes. A popular account of all the species found in America north of the equator, with keys for ready identification, life histories and methods of capture, . by David Starr Jordan...and Barton Warren Evermann...illustrated with colored plates and text drawings, and with photographs from life, by A. Radclyffe Dugmore. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & Co., 1908. url p. 509, p. 564.
- American food and game fishes: A popular account of all the species found in America north of the equator, with keys of ready identification, life histories and methods of capture New York: Doubleday, Page & co., 1902. url , .
- American food and game fishes: a popular account of all the species found in America, north of the equator, with keys for ready identification, life histories and methods of capture, by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann; with photos. from life by A. Radclyffe Dugmore. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1908, c1902. url p. 564.
- An annotated catalogue of the fishes of Maine. Portland, Me., 1914. url p. 105, p. 110, p. 123, p. 127, p. 128, p. 135, p. 140, p. 144, p. 147, p. 150, p. 153, p. 155, p. 157, p. 162, p. 163, p. 164, p. 179, p. 65.
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url , , , , p. 43.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 112.
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 693.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 107, p. 108, p. 636, p. 673.
- Annual report of the Commissioner of Fisheries to the Secretary of Commerce for the fiscal year ended. .. Washington: G.P.O., 1914-1940. url p. 7, p. 7, p. 8, p. 9.
- Annual report of the Commissioners of Fisheries, Game and Forests of the State of New York. Albany, N.Y.: The Commission, 1896-1900 url p. 246.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 344, p. 373, p. 400.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: New York Zoological Society, 1897- url p. 109, p. 119, p. 131.
- Artificial propagation of marine species. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1904. url p. 224.
- Benthic productivity and marine resources of the Gulf of Maine / Ivar Babb and Michael De Luca, editors. [Rockville, MD] (6010 Executive Blvd., Suite 805, Rockville 20852): U.S. Dept of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Oceanic and Atmospheric Research, Office of Undersea Research,  url p. 211.
- British salt-water fishes, London, Hutchinson, 1904. url .
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 693.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , , p. 20.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 371.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 109, p. 14, p. 17, p. 19, p. 21, p. 26.
- Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905-1950. url p. 1339, p. 1373, p. 256, p. 396, p. 397, p. 5, p. 538, p. 550, p. 554, p. 562.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 150 1983 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url fig. 38, page 151, fig. 38, page 229, p. 260, p. 404, p. 404.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 20.
- Check list of the fishes of the Dominion of Canada and Newfoundland. Ottawa, Printed by C. H. Parmelee, 1913. url , , , .
- Commercial fisheries review. [Washington]: National Marine Fisheries Service; [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.] url p. 108, p. 108, p. 13, p. 17, p. 19, p. 20, p. 22, p. 5, p. 59, p. 77, p. 84.
- Comparative embryology of the vertebrates; with 2057 drawings and photos. grouped as 380 illus. New York, Blakiston url p. 825, p. 969.
- Contributions to Canadian biology. Toronto, Biological Board of Canada. url , p. 99.
- Contributions. Providence, R. I. url p. 154, p. 175.
- Copeia. [New York, N.Y., etc.]: American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists. url , , p. 22, p. 42, p. 45.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url , p. 103, p. 178, p. 203, p. 25, p. 311, p. 32, p. 322, p. 33, p. 400, p. 560, p. 749, p. 825, p. 839, p. 922, p. 94.
- Dean bibliography of fishes. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1971-1973. url p. 108, p. 136, p. 139, p. 171, p. 183, p. 191, p. 199, p. 200, p. 201, p. 203, p. 207, p. 226, p. 229, p. 253, p. 257, p. 27, p. 288, p. 319, p. 394, p. 489, p. 493, p. 572, p. 597, p. 606, p. 630, p. 632, p. 664, p. 666, p. 685, p. 687, p. 688, p. 742.
- Distribution and abundance of fishes and invertebrates in Mid- Atlantic estuaries. Silver Spring, Md.: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Ocean Service, 1994- url p. 21, p. 4, p. 67.
- Draft environmental impact statement on the agreement between the United States and Canada on East Coast fishery resources / Department of State. [Washington, D.C.?]: The Department, 1980. url p. 152, p. 153.
- Establishing a 200-mile fisheries zone: (implementation of the Fishery conservation and management act of 1976): working papers / OTA Oceans Program staff; Robert W. Niblock, program manager. Washington: Congress of the United States, Office of Technology Assessment, 1977. url p. 9.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 20.
- Fauna of New England, 8. List of the pisces, by William C. Kendall. Boston, Printed for the [Boston] Society [of Natural History] from the G. Saltonstall Fund, 1908. url , p. 137.
- Fauna of New England. Boston, Printed for the [Boston] Society [of Natural History] from the Gurdon Saltonstall Fund, 1904-25. url .
- Fisheries of the United States, 1908. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1911. url p. 313.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url , , , , p. 218, p. 219, p. 267, p. 271, p. 306, p. 307, p. 311, p. 313, p. 315, p. 316, p. 317, p. 319, p. 36, p. 389, p. 424, p. 426, p. 427, p. 482, p. 486, p. 5, p. 503, p. 509, p. 51, p. 557, p. 655, p. 848, p. 954.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url , p. 213, p. 214, p. 259, p. 575.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 181.
- Fishery statistics of the United States / prepared by Data Management and Statistics Division. Washington, D.C.: Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service: url p. 233, p. 263, p. 275, p. 282, p. 315, p. 322, p. 351, p. 351, p. 400, p. 433, p. 435, p. 442, p. 464, p. 465, p. 470, p. 498, p. 517, p. 554, p. 654, p. 731.
- Fishes of the Gulf of Maine, by Henry B. Bigelow and William C. Schroeder. Washington, United States Government Printing Office, 1953. url , p. 213, p. 214, p. 217, p. 320, p. 338, p. 575.
- Fishes of the Gulf of Maine. By Henry B. Bigelow. .. and William W. Welsh. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1925. url p. 397, p. 5, p. 550, p. 562.
- Fishes of the vicinity of New York city, by John Treadwell Nichols, with an introduction by William K. Gregory. New York, Printed at the Museum, 1918. url p. 117.
- Fishes of the western North Atlantic. Editorial board: editor-in-chief John Tee-Van [and others] New Haven, Sears Foundation for Marine Research, Yale Univ., 1948- url p. 286, p. 624.
- Food habits of some Arctic birds and mammals / by Clarence Cottam and Harold C. Hanson. 20 1938 Chicago, ILL: Field Museum of Natural History, c1938. url p. 414, p. 417, p. 418, p. 421.
- Forest, lake and river; the fishes of New England and eastern Canada / by Frank M. Johnson. Boston: Printed for subscribers [by University press] Cambridge, 1902. url p. 262, p. 363.
- Gadiformes (Treskoobraznye). Translated from Russian [by Walter J. Walters with Vladimir Walters] Jerusalem: Israel Program for Scientific Translations, 1962. url , p. 158, p. 160, p. 18, p. 20, p. 281, p. 32, p. 46, p. 47.
- Gas bubble disease: proceedings of a workshop held at Richland, Washington, October 8-9, 1974: cosponsored by Battelle, Pacific Northwest Laboratories, and U.S. Atomic Energy Commission / editors, D. H. Fickeisen and M. J. Schneider. Oak Ridge, Tenn.: Technical Information Center, Office of Public Affairs, Energy Research and Development Administration, 1976. url p. 79.
- Guide to marine fishes; [a new method for identification of marine fishes. New York]New York University Press url p. 277, p. 317, p. 429.
- International review of the science and practice of agriculture. Rome: International Institute of Agriculture, Bureau of Agricultural Intelligence and Plant Diseases, 1916-1926. url p. 1807.
- List of the specimens of the British animals in the collection of the British museum. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1845-55. url p. 91.
- Mammals of the Soviet Union / V.G. Heptner, A.A. Nasimovich, and A.G. Bannikov; scientific editor, Robert S. Hoffmann. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1988- url p. 730.
- Manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern U.S.. .. inclusive of the marine species. Chicago, McClurg, 1894, c1876-88. url .
- Marine and estuarine environments, organisms, and geology of the Cape Cod region; an indexed bibliography, 1665-1965 [by] Anne E. Yentsch [and others. Woods Hole, Mass., Systematics Ecology Program, Marine Biological Laboratory[c1966] url p. 135, p. 149, p. 65, p. 95.
- Marine products of commerce; their acquisition, handling, biological aspects, and the science and techology of their preparation and preservation, by Donald K. Tressler and James McW. Lemon in collaboration with Alexander E. Alexander [and others] New York, Book Division, Reinhold, 1951. url p. 295.
- Memoirs of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1886- url p. 346.
- Memoirs of the Queensland Museum. Brisbane, Queensland Museum, 1912- url p. 135.
- Monitoring the marine environment of Long Island Sound at Millstone Nuclear Power Station, Waterford, Connecticut: three operational studies, 1986-1987 / [prepared by the Environmental Laboratory staff of Northeast Utilities Service Company]. Waterford, Connecticut: Northeast Utilities,  url p. 265, p. 298.
- Monogenetic trematodes: their systematics and phylogeny / by Boris E. Bychowsky; edited by William J. Hargis, Jr.; translated by Pierre C. Oustinoff. Washington, D.C.: American Institute of Biological Sciences, c1961. url p. 216, p. 522.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 112.
- NOAA technical report NMFS SSRF. Seattle, Wash.: National Marine Fisheries Service; url , p. 3, p. 8, p. 9.
- National overview and evolution of NOAA's Estuarine Living Marine Resources (ELMR) Program / David M. Nelson and Mark E. Monaco. Silver Spring. Md.: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Ocean Service, National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science, Center for Coastal Monitoring and Assessment, 2000. url p. 17, p. 23, p. 7.
- New Haven Harbor ecological studies summary report, 1970-1977 / prepared for the United Illuminating Company, New Haven, Connecticut by Normandeau Associates, inc., Bedford, New Hampshire; edited by Andrew J. McCusker, Weldon S. Bosworth. Bedford, N.H.: Normandeau, 1979. url p. 13.
- Oceanus. Woods Hole, Mass., Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution url p. 14, p. 49.
- Ontogeny and systematics of fishes: based on an international symposium dedicated to the memory of Elbert Halvor Ahlstrom / sponsored by the National Marine Fisheries Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, United States Dept. of Commerce. [New York?]: American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists, c1984. url p. 288, p. 292, p. 294, p. 295.
- Our living oceans: the first annual report on the status of U.S. living marine resources. [Washington, D.C.]: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, 1991. url p. 116.
- Pamphlets on forestry. Fish and game. [1900?- url , p. 2534, p. 3307.
- Parasites of fishes of the Woods Hole region. By Edwin Linton. .. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1901. url p. 423, p. 474.
- Plankton of the offshore waters of the Gulf of Maine. By Henry B. Bigelow. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1926. url p. 103, p. 72, p. 76.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url , , , , p. 298, p. 329, p. 329, p. 407, p. 441, p. 517, p. 517, p. 604, p. 613, p. 7.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 167, p. 191, p. 212, p. 260.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url , .
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 1017, p. 136, p. 418, p. 428, p. 574, p. 607, p. 718, p. 93.
- Report of the Bureau of Fisheries / Department of Commerce and Labor. Washington: G.P.O., 1905. url p. 117.
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url p. 222, p. 493, p. 668, p. 682, p. 686, p. 918.
- Report of the Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year. .. and special papers Washington: G.P.O., 1906-1914. url p. 10, p. 8, p. 8.
- Report of the Joint commission relative to the preservation of the fisheries in waters contiguous to Canada and the United States (submitted Dec. 31, 1896) [Ottawa?: s.n.], 1897 url .
- Report of the United States Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year. .. with appendixes Washington: G.P.O., 1914- url , p. 1061, p. 197, p. 209, p. 226, p. 274, p. 326, p. 342, p. 344, p. 351, p. 367, p. 403, p. 431, p. 444, p. 457, p. 463, p. 463, p. 533, p. 558, p. 630, p. 66, p. 686, p. 7, p. 8, p. 8, p. 8.
- Sand dunes and salt marshes / by Charles Wendell Townsend. Boston: L.C. Page & company, c1925. url p. 308.
- Sand dunes and salt marshes, Boston, D. Estes & company[c1913] url .
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 248, p. 485.
- Seasonal distribution of the plankton of the Woods Hole region. Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O, 1925. url p. 172.
- Soft-rayed Bony fishes: class Osteichthyes, order Acipenseroidei, order Lepisostei, order Isospondyli, suborder Elopoidea, suborder Clupeoidea, suborder Salmonoidea / Henry B. Bigelow. .. [et al.]. New Haven, Conn.: Sears Foundation for Marine Research, Yale University, 1963. url p. 624.
- Some North American fish trematodes, Urbana, Ill., c1926 url p. 9, p. 94.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 335.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url p. 11, p. 13, p. 19, p. 4, p. 54, p. 6, p. 6.
- Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary final environmental impact statement/management plan / Sanctuaries and Reserves Division. Washington, D.C.: The Division,  url p. 24.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 24.
- The Argo Merchant oil spill: a preliminary scientific report / edited by Peter L. Grose and James S. Mattson. Boulder, Colo.: for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1977. url p. 111, p. 46.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 26, p. 325, p. 347, p. 430, p. 435.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 40 1926 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 202, p. 254, p. 400, p. 494, p. 570, p. 581, p. 632, p. 669, p. 704, p. 736, p. 736.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 1268.
- The Riverside natural history. Ed. by John Sterling Kingsley. Articles by C.C. Abbott, J.A. Allen, W.B. Barrows [etc.]. .. Illustrated by more than twenty-two hundred woodcuts in the text, one hundred and sixty-eight full-page engr Boston, Houghton, Mifflin and Company[c1888] url p. 271.
- The United States Bureau of fisheries, its establishment, functions, organization, resources, operations, and achievements. Washington, Govt. print. off, 1908. url p. 12.
- The Wilder quarter-century book: a collection of original papers dedicated to professor Burt Green Wilder at the close of his twenty-fifth year of service in Cornell University (1868-1893) / by some of his former students. Ithaca, NY: Comstock Publishing Co., 1893. url p. 24.
- The birds of Essex County, Massachusetts. By Charles Wendell Townsend, M.D. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1905. url p. 346.
- The fisheries and fishery industries of the United States. Prepared through the co-operation of the commissioner of fisheries and the superintendent of the tenth census by George Brown Goode. .. and a staff of associates. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1884-87. url p. 228.
- The fishes found in the vicinity of Woods Hole. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1898. url p. 107.
- The fishes of Great Britain and Ireland. London, Williams and Norgate, 1880-1884. url , p. 294.
- The fishes of North and Middle America a descriptive catalogue of the species of fish-like vertebrates found in the waters of North America, north of the Isthmus of Panama / by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann. Washington: G.P.O., 1898. url .
- The food and game fishes of New York: notes on their common names, distribution, habits and mode of capture. By Tarleton H. Bean. Albany, J. B. Lyon company, printers, 1903. url p. 443.
- The lipids, their chemistry and biochemistry. New York, Interscience Publishers, 1951-57. url p. 646, p. 910, p. 998.
- The naturalist of the Saint Croix. Memoir of George A. Boardman. A selection from his correspondence and published writings, notices of friends and contemporaries, with his list of the birds of Maine and New Brunswick. By Samuel Lane Boardman... Bangor, Priv. print., 1903. url p. 317, p. 317, p. 317.
- The sea fisheries, London, Constable, 1920. url .
- The standard natural history / edited by John Sterling Kingsley. Boston: S.E. Cassino, 1884-85. url p. 271.
- The standard natural history. Boston, S. E. Cassino and Company, 1884-85. url .
- Transactions - American Fisheries Society. Lawrence, Kan. [etc.] url p. 52.
- Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. [Bethesda, MD, etc.: American Fisheries Society], 1900- url p. 52.
- World fishing fleets: an analysis of distant-water fleet operations, past, present, future. prepared by William B. Folsom, David J. Rovinsky, Dennis M. Weidner. Silver Spring, Md.: National Marine Fisheries Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, [Office of International Affairs, 1993] url p. 6.
- [A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1913] url p. 164.
- American Fisheries Society. Common and Scientific Names of Fishes from the United states, Canada, and Mexico Sixth Edition. Special Publication 29.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
- FishBase. Release date: January 5, 2010
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed November 17, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 31 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 17, 2007:
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, MCZ Fish Collection
- Royal Ontario Museum, Fish specimens
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Fishes
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Swedish Board of Fisheries
- - Institute of Coastal Research
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Marine Conservation Society - Seasearch Marine Surveys
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 135758
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Fis-23728
- Fishbase Species ID: 1343
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481187
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 164727
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: AFCMA12010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 121245
- Mean = -156.300 meters (-512.795 feet), Standard Deviation = 339.450 based on 9,360 observations. Ocean depth information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- Frimodt, C. (1995). Multilingual illustrated guide to the world's commercial coldwater fish. Fishing News Books, Osney Mead, Oxford, England. 215 p. [back]