Common Names in English:
Species Placetron wosnessenskii
This lithodid crab has a wide, mostly soft abdomen, which is not held as tightly against the underside of the thorax as some other species do. The chelae are spoon-shaped and have setae along the edges ; both are of similar size. The carapace and legs are covered with what looks like scales . Colored greenish gray to reddish. Walking legs may have some banding and yellow or orange near the tips . Carapace width to 7.2 cm.
Typically found in water with a depth of 0 to -3,738 meters (0 to -12,264 feet).
Biome: Marine .
Have been observed eating brittle stars.
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 18-Jan-2005
At first glance this crab looks superficially like the helmet crab, Telmessus cheiragonus (a Brachyuran), but can be distinguished by the wide, soft abdomen, the scale-like appearance, and the modified 5th leg characteristic of Anomurans. (Ref. 109953)
Members of the genus Placetron
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 1 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- Alaska / Harriman Alaska Expedition. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1901-1910. url p. 163, p. 336.
- Alaska. .. New York, Doubleday, Page & Company, 1901- url , p. 163, p. 336.
- Alaska. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1901- url p. 163, p. 336.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 27.
- Decapod crustaceans of the northwest coast of North America. .. New York, 1904. url p. 163.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url , , , , , , , , , , p. 379, p. 703, p. 783.
- Harriman Alaska series. City of Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1910-1914. url p. 163, p. 336.
- Harriman Alaska series. vol. I-V, VIII-XIV Washington, D.C., Smithsonian Institution, 1910-14 url , p. 163, p. 336.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url , , p. 207, p. 208, p. 407, p. 408.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 and ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-2005. Systema Naturae 2000. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. [http://sn2000.taxonomy.nl/Taxonomicon/]. Access date: Nov 23, 2005
- Cowles, Dave. Key to Invertebrates Found At or Near The Rosario Beach Marine Laboratory (a campus of Walla Walla University) Fidalgo Island, Anacortes, WA.
- Dave Cowles
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed February 29, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 2 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 29, 2008:
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Gwaii Haanas Invertebrates (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: North Pacific Groundfish Observer (North Pacific Research Board)
- University of Alaska Museum of the North: University of Alaska Museum of the North Crustacean Collection
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2707075
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-97931
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13795687
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 97931
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 153507
- Cowles, Dave. Key to Invertebrates Found At or Near The Rosario Beach Marine Laboratory (a campus of Walla Walla University) Fidalgo Island, Anacortes, WA May 2009. [back]
- Mean = -636.360 meters (-2,087.795 feet), Standard Deviation = 894.900 based on 190 observations. Ocean depth information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]