Common Names in English:
Sea Slug, Varicose Nudibranch, Varicose Phyllidia
See phyllidium .
Species Phyllidia varicosa
One of the most common phyllidiid of the Phyllidiidae family found in Hawaiian waters. The body is firm, black in color and covered with raised light purple-blue horizontal ridges topped with hard yellow or orange bumps on the back, which makes it easy to spot and identify.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795
- Cuvier, 1795
- Snails and Slugs
- Ponder & Lindberg, 1996
- J.E. Gray, 1840
- Order: Opisthobranchia () - Milne-Edwards, 1848
- Superorder: Heterobranchia () - J.E. Gray, 1840
- Subclass: Orthogastropoda () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1996
- Class: Gastropoda () - Cuvier, 1795 - Snails and Slugs
- Phylum: Mollusca () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795 - Molluscs
- Superphylum: Eutrochozoa ()
- Infrakingdom: Lophotrochozoa ()
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Members of the genus Phyllidia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 1 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A manual of conchology, according to the system laid down by Lamarck, with the late improvements by De Blainville exemplified and arranged for the use of students. By Thomas Wyatt. New York, Harper & brothers, 1838. url p. 93.
- Feeding ecology of the hawksbill turtle (Eretmochelys imbricata): spongivory as a feeding niche in the coral reef community / 1984. url p. 98.
- Figures of molluscous animals, selected from various authors. Etched for the use of students by Maria Emma Gray. .. London, Longman, Brown, Green and Longmans, 1859. url p. 168.
- Memoirs of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: The Academy, 1868- url p. 30, p. 35.
- Memoirs: Australian Museum. Sydney: The Museum, 1851- url p. 527, p. 562.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 180, p. 556.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 118, p. 168, p. 268, p. 280, p. 282, p. 283, p. 673, p. 674.
- Report on the zoological collections made in the Indo-Pacific Ocean during the voyage of H. M. S. 'Alert' 1881-2. London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1884. url .
- Report to the government of Ceylon on the pearl oyster fisheries of the gulf of Manaar, by W.A. Herdman. .. With supplementary reports upon the marine biology of Ceylon, by other naturalists. Pub. at the request of the colonial government by the Royal society. London, 1903-06. url p. 345.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 82 1931 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 17.
- Spixiana. München: Zoologische Staatssammlung München, 1977- url p. 55, p. 60.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 127.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society of London. London: Academic Press [etc.], 1865-1968. url p. 120, p. 523, p. 87.
- The fauna and geography of the Maldive and Laccadive archipelagoes: being the account of the work carried on and of the collections made by an expedition during the years 1899 and 1900 / Ed. by J. Stanley Gardiner. Cambridge: University Press, 1903-06. url p. 541, p. 561, p. 562, p. 563.
- Transactions and proceedings and report of the Royal Society of South Australia (Incorporated). Adelaide: W.C. Rigby, 1904-1911. url p. 145.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 13, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 15, 2007:
- Academy of Natural Sciences, Academy of Natural Sciences Malacology Database
- Academy of Natural Sciences, Academy of Natural Sciences OBIS Mollusc Database [Darwin Core]
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, iziko South African Museum - Mollusc Collection
- National Chemical Laboratory, IndOBIS, Indian Ocean Node of OBIS
- Provider, Online Zoological Collections of Australian Museums
- SysTax, Museum fur Naturkunde, Berlin - Malakologie
- SysTax, SysTax