Typically found in water with a depth of 0 to -4,869 meters (0 to -15,974 feet).
Biome: Marine .
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Linnaeus, 1758) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Leuckart, 1847
- Hatschek, 1888
- (Ehrenberg, 1831) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Corals, Flower Animals
- Sea Pens and Sea Pansies
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Specific name:
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Scientific name: - ertebrates from the United States and Canada: Cnidaria and Ctenophora Second Edition. Special Publication 28. ISBN 1-888569-39-5.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. B
- Specific name: phosphorea - Linnaeus, 1758
- Subgenus: zooxanthellate ()
- Genus: Pennatula () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Family: Pennatulidae () -
- Suborder: Subselliflorae () -
- Order: Pennatulacea () - Sea Pens and Sea Pansies
- Subclass: Alcyonaria ()
- Subphylum: Anthozoa () - (Ehrenberg, 1831) Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Corals, Flower Animals
- Phylum: Cnidaria () - Hatschek, 1888 - Cnidarians
- Infrakingdom: Coelenterata () - Leuckart, 1847
- Subkingdom: Radiata () - (Linnaeus, 1758) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 2004-2007
Members of the genus Pennatula
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 0 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Cornish fauna: being a compendium of the natural history of the county intended to form a companion to the collection in the Royal Institution of Cornwall / by J. Couch [and Richard Q. Couch]. Truro: Printed for the Royal Institution of Cornwall, by L.E. Gillet, 1844. url p. 44.
- A history of British animals: exhibiting the descriptive characters and systematical arrangement of the genera and species of quadrupeds, birds, reptiles, fishes, mollusca, and radiata of the United Kingdom; including the indigeno by John Fleming. Edinburgh: Printed for Bell & Bradfute; 1828. url p. 507.
- A history of luminescence from the earliest times until 1900. Philadelphia, American Philosophical Society, 1957. url p. 571, p. 572, p. 619.
- A history of the British zoophytes by George Johnston. Edinburgh: W.H. Lizars, 1838. url p. 175.
- A history of the British zoophytes. By George Johnston. London: J. Van Voorst, 1847. url p. 150, p. 150, p. 157, p. 157.
- A manual of marine zoology for the British Isles / by Philip Henry Gosse London: J. Van Voorst, 1855-1856 url p. 188, p. 34.
- A manual of the sub-kingdom Coelenterata. London, Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts, & Green, 1863. url p. 213.
- A manual of the sub-kingdom Cœlenterata / By Joseph Reay Greene. London: Longmans, Green, and Co., 1869. url p. 213.
- A manual of zoology for the use of students. .., with a general introduction on the principles of zoology / by Henry Alleyne Nicholson. Edinburgh; Blackwood, 1873. url p. 139.
- A manual of zoology. .. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1870. url p. 168.
- A popular history of British zoophytes, or corallines. By the Rev. D. Landsborough. .. London, Reeve and co., 1852. url p. 194.
- A systematic treatise on comparative physiology, introductory to the physiology of man / London: Published by John Churchill and Thos. Kaye, 1834. url p. 259.
- A treatise on zoology / edited by E. Ray Lankester. London: A. & C. Black, 1900-1909. url p. 32.
- A treatise on zoology London, A. and C. Black, 1900-1909 url p. 32.
- A treatise on zoology. London, Adam and Charles Black, 1900-1909 url p. 31, p. 32.
- Animal and vegetable physiology, considered with reference to natural theology, by Peter Mark Roget. .. London, W. Pickering, 1834. url , .
- Animal biology, by Lorande Loss Woodruff... New YorkThe Macmillan company[c1938] url p. 77.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 104.
- Annual report of the regents of the university of the state of New York on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History and the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 102.
- Autumns in Argyleshire with rod & gun. London: Longmans, Green, & Co., 1900. url p. 120, p. 129, p. 227.
- Bibliographia zoologiæ et geologiæ. A general catalogue of all books, tracts, and memoirs on zoology and geology. By Prof. Louis Agassiz. .. Cor., enl. and ed. by H.E. Strickland. .. London, Ray Society, 1848-1854. url p. 97.
- British fauna, containing a compendium of the zoology of the British Islands: arranged according to the Linnean system. By W. Turton. .. Vol. I, including the classes Mammalia, birds, Amphibia, fishes and worms. .. Swansea, Printed by J. Evans, 1807. url p. 217.
- British zoophytes: an introduction to the hydroida, actinozoa, and polyzoa found in Great Britain, Irleand, and the Channel Islands / by Arthur S. Pennington. London: L. Reeve, 1885. url , p. 197, p. 198.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 17.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 274.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 11 1883 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 2, p. 55, p. 55.
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 202.
- Catalogue of museum of natural history and miscellaneous antiquities, curios, &c., collected by Rev. Donald Miller. Bordighera, Italy, Manse Printing Press url p. 167.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 984.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 984.
- Catalogue of sea-pens or Pennatulariidae in the collection of the British Museum / by J.E. Gray. London: Printed by order of the Trustees [by Taylor and Francis], 1870. url p. 20.
- Catalogue of the library of the Linnean Society of London. London: The Society, 1896. url p. 208, p. 261.
- Descriptive and illustrated catalogue of the physiological series of comparative anatomy contained in the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. London, Taylor [and] Francis (pr.)1900-1902. url p. 12.
- Discovery reports. London; Cambridge University Press. url p. 273.
- Elements of natural history, adapted to the present state of the science, containing the generic characters of nearly the whole animal kingdom, and the descriptions of the principal species. By John Stark. .. Edinburgh: W. Blackwood; [etc., etc.], 1828. url p. 420.
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 368.
- Founders of oceanography and their work; an introduction to the science of the sea, by Sir William A. Herdman. London, E. Arnold & Co., 1923. url , , p. 339, p. 339.
- Guide to the aquarium of the Zoological Station at Naples. Naples, F. Giannini & sons, 1910. url p. 39.
- Handbook of zoology / by J. van der Hoeven. Cambridge: University Press, 1856-1858. url p. 80.
- Handbook of zoology; by J. van der Hoeven. Tr. from the 2d Dutch ed. by the Rev. William Clark. Cambridge: Longman, Brown, Green, Longmans, and Roberts, 1856-58. url p. 80.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 509, p. 526, p. 847.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url , p. 229, p. 745, p. 872.
- Knowledge. v. 1-40; Nov. 1881-Dec. 1917. LondonWyman [etc.] url .
- Laboratory apparatus and reagents. Philadelphia, A.H. Thomas Co. url p. 136.
- Lectures on biology, by Dr. Curt Thesing, tr. from the 2d ed. by W. R. Boelter with the original coloured and other illustrations. London, J. Bale, sons & Danielsson, ltd., 1911. url .
- Lectures on the comparative anatomy and physiology of the invertebrate animals: delivered at the Royal College of Surgeons / By Richard Owen. London: Longman, Brown, Green & Longmans, 1855. url p. 138.
- Manual of the sub-kingdom Cœlenterata London: Longman, Green, Longman and Roberts, 1861 url p. 213.
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url , , , , p. 199, p. 200.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 11, p. 209, p. 580.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 3 1905 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 231.
- Notes on methods for the narcotization, killing, fixation, and preservation of marine organisms / compiled by Henry D. Russell. Woods Hole, Mass., Marine Biological Laboratory, Systematics-Ecology Program, 1963. url p. 1, p. 22.
- Oceanology: biology of the ocean. M.E. Vinogradov, editor in chief; Albert L. Peabody, translator. Woods Hole, Mass.: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service, Northeast Fisheries Center, 1985. url p. 216.
- On molecular and microscopic science by Mary Somerville. London: J. Murray, 1869 url p. 300.
- Outlines of general zoology. New York [N.Y.]: Rudolph Garrigue, 1851. url .
- Palaeontographica Americana. Ithaca, N.Y.: Paleontological Research Institution, url p. 156.
- Papers from the Tortugas Laboratory of the Carnegie Institution of Washington. Washington, D.C.: Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1908-42. url p. 202.
- Popular history of the aquarium of marine and fresh-water animals and plants / by George Brettingham Sowerby. London: Lovell Reeve, 1857. url , p. 324, p. 60, p. 61.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 217, p. 39, p. 56, p. 57, p. 63, p. 64, p. 65, p. 66, p. 67, p. 69, p. 70, p. 72, p. 73, p. 76, p. 79, p. 80, p. 82, p. 83, p. 85, p. 86, p. 87, p. 89, p. 90, p. 93, p. 96, p. 97.
- Proceedings of the Royal Physical Society of Edinburgh. Edinburgh: The Society, 1858-1955 url p. 85.
- Proceedings. Royal Society of London. v. 1-75; 1800-1904. London url p. 11.
- Quarterly journal of microscopical science. London, J. and A. Churchill [etc.] url p. 352.
- Rare and remarkable animals of Scotland, represented from living subjects: with practical observations on their nature. By Sir John Graham Dalyell, baronet. .. London, J. Van Voorst, 1847-1848. url p. 190.
- Report & transactions. BirminghamHerald Press url p. 28, p. 29, p. 29, p. 31, p. 32, p. 32, p. 37, p. 37, p. 39, p. 39, p. 41, p. 41, p. 43, p. 45, p. 47, p. 47, p. 49, p. 49.
- Report of the Canadian Arctic Expedition 1913-18. Ottawa, F. A. Acland, Printer to the King, 1919- url .
- Reports. OttawaKing's Printer1917 url p. 45.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url p. 21.
- Text book of zoology London, Sampson Low, Marston, 1896. url .
- Text-book of the embryology of invertebrates / by Dr. E. Korschelt [and] Dr. K. Heider. Tr. from the German. London: S. Sonneschein and Co.; 1895-1900. url p. 133.
- The Alcyonaria of the western part of the Atlantic ocean / by Elisabeth Deichmann. 53 1936 Cambridge, U.S.A.: Printed for the Museum, 1936. url p. 284.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url , p. 119, p. 119, p. 156, p. 156, p. 183, p. 183, p. 21, p. 221, p. 238, p. 365, p. 395, p. 395.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 805, p. 86, p. 93.
- The Bulletin of zoological nomenclature. London, International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 274.
- The Cambridge natural history / edited by S. F. Harmer and A. E. Shipley. London: Macmillan and Co.; 1895-1909. url p. 338, p. 361, p. 655.
- The Cambridge natural history, London, Macmillan and Co., Limited;1895-1909 url , .
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited;1895-1909 url p. 338, p. 361, p. 655.
- The Danish Ingolf-Expedition. Copenhagen: H. Hagerup, 1899-1928. url p. 10, p. 10.
- The Danish Ingolf-expedition. CopenhagenH. Hagerup1899-1953 url p. 10, p. 14.
- The Edinburgh journal of science. v. 1-10, July 1824-Apr. 1829; new ser., v. 1-6, July 1829-Apr. 1832. EdinburghT. Clark [etc.] url p. 330, p. 333, p. 390, p. ii.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society of London. London: Academic Press [etc.], 1865-1968. url p. 307, p. 460.
- The Naturalist. 1895 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 152.
- The Philosophical transactions of the Royal society of London, from their commencement in 1665, in the year 1800. London, Printed by and for C. and R. Baldwin, 1809. url p. 82.
- The Victorian naturalist. [Melbourne]Field Naturalists Club of Victoria. url p. 80, p. 99.
- The animal creation: a popular introduction to zoology. London, Society for Promoting Knowledge, 1865. url p. 56.
- The animal kingdom arranged in conformity with its organization / by the Baron Cuvier; the Crustacea, Arachnides and Insecta, by P.A. Latreille; translated from the French, with notes and additions, by H. M'Murtrie; in four volumes, with plates. New York: G. & C. & H. Carvill, 1831. url p. 413.
- The animal kingdom, arranged according to its organization, serving as a foundation for the natural history of animals: and an introduction to comparative anatomy / Baron Cuvier. London, G. Henderson, 1834-37. url p. 448.
- The biology of marine animals. New York, Interscience Publishers url p. 421, p. 699.
- The depths of the ocean: a general account of the modern science of oceanography based largely on the scientific researches of the Norwegian steamer Michael Sars in the North Atlantic / by Sir John Murray and Dr. Johan Hjort; with contributions from Professor A. Appellöf, Professor H. H. Gran and Dr. B. Helland-Hansen. London: Macmillan, 1912. url p. 503.
- The doctrine of descent and Darwinism, New York, Appleton, 1900. url .
- The doctrine of descent and darwinism. New York, D. Appleton, 1880. url p. 325.
- The fisheries of the Adriatic and the fish thereof: a report of the Austro-Hungarian sea-fisheries, with a detailed description of the marine fauna of the Adriatic Gulf / by G. L. Faber; with eighteen woodcut illustrations after drawings by Leo Littrow, and numerous engravings on stone. London: B. Quaritch, 1883. url p. 22, p. 257, p. 281.
- The invertebrate fauna of the Firth of Forth. By George Leslie and W. A. Herdman. Edinburgh, Printed by M'Farlane & Erskine, 1881. url p. 18.
- The marine invertebrates and fishes of St. Andrews / By W. C. M'Intosh. Edinburgh: A. and C. Black; [etc., etc.]1875. url p. 39.
- The microscope 1869 url p. 488.
- The microscope, : its history, construction, and applications: being a familiar introduction to the use of the instrument, and the study of microsopical science, / with upwards of 500 engravings... by Tuffen West. London: G. Routledge, 1887. url p. 488, p. 503.
- The microscope: its history, construction, and application, being a familiar introduction to the use of the instrument and the study of microscopical science / by Jabez Hogg; with upwards of five hundred engravings and coloured illustrations by Tuffen West. London: G. Routledge and Sons, 1871. url p. 488.
- The microscope; its history, construction and application. .. London, Routledge[pref. 1867] url p. 488.
- The mysteries of the great deep: or, The physical, animal, geological & vegetable wonders of the ocean / by P.H. Gosse... Philadelphia: D. Rulison, 1866 url p. 11.
- The naturalist of Cumbrae; a true story, being the life of David Robertson. London, K. Paul, Trench, Trübner, 1891. url p. 388.
- The new natural history. New York, Merrill, c1901. url p. 3488.
- The ocean Philadelphia: Parry & McMillan, 1856. url .
- The ocean world: being a description of the sea and some of its inhabitants / From the French of Louis Figuier. New YorkD. Appleton url p. 241, p. 653.
- The ocean. By P. H. Gosse. .. London, Society for promoting Christian knowledge[pref. 1845] url p. 63.
- The ocean. Philadelphia, Parry & McMillan, 1856. url p. 11, p. 75.
- The royal natural history / edited by Richard Lydekker; with preface by P.L. Sclater; illustrated with seventy-two coloured plates and sixteen hundred engravings by W. Kuhnert. .. [et al.]. London: F. Warne, 1893-1896. url p. 513.
- The royal natural history. With pref. by P. L. Sclater. Illustrated with 72 col. plates and 1600 engravings. London, F. Warne, 1893-96. url p. 513.
- The sea and its living wonders, London, Longman, Green, & Co.1892. url .
- The seas; our knowledge of life in the sea and how it is gained, by F.S. Russell. .. and C.M. Yonge. .. With 384 illustrations, 167 of which are in full colour. London, F. Warne & co. ltd.[c1928] url p. 374.
- The wonders of the great deep, or, The physical, animal, geological, and vegetable curiosities of the ocean / New York: J.W. Lovell, [188-] url .
- Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences. New Haven: Published by the Academy, 1866- url p. 54, p. 54.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 148.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London. London: [The Society], 1791-1875. url p. 776.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 175, p. 50.
- Transactions of the Tyneside Naturalists' Field Club. Newcastle-upon-Tyne: F. & W. Dodsworth, 1850-1864. url p. 132, p. 96.
- United States exploring expedition. During the year 1838, 1839, 1840, 1841, 1842. Under the command of Charles Wilkes, U.S.N... Philadelphia: Printed by C. Sherman, 1844-74. url p. 594.
- Zoology: a systematic account of the general structure, habits, instincts, and uses of the principal families of the animal kingdom / by William B. Carpenter. London: Wm. S. Orr, 1848. url p. 522.
- Zoology: being a sketch of the classification, structure, distribution, and habits, of animals / by William B. Carpenter. Dublin: W. and R. Chambers; 1844-1845. url p. 522.
- Zoology: being a systematic account of the general structure, habits, instincts, and uses of the principal families of the animal kingdom, as well as of the chief forms of fossil remains / by William B. Carpenter. London: Bell & Daldy, 1866-67. url p. 509.
- Zoölogical science, or, Nature in living forms adapted to elucidate the chart of the animal kingdom / by A.M. Redfield, and designed for the higher seminaries, common schools, libraries, and the family circle New York: E.B. & E.C. Kellogg, 1858 url p. 687.
- American Fisheries Society. Common and Scientific Names of Aquatic Invertebrates from the United States and Canada: Cnidaria and Ctenophora Second Edition. Special Publication 28. ISBN 1-888569-39-5.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 and ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 17, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 05, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 5 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- URMO: UNESCO-IOC Register of Marine Organisms. Release date: November 18, 2008
- Williams, G.C. and Van der Land, J. (from UNESCO-IOC Register of Marine Organisms).
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 05, 2008:
- GBIF-Sweden: Invertebrates (GBIF-SE:SMNH)
- GBIF-Sweden: Zoology (Museum of Evolution - Uppsala)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: A comparison of benthic biodiversity in the North Sea, English Channel and Celtic Seas
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Historical quantitative benthos grab samples from the Southern Baltic Sea
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Ifremer BIOCEAN database (Deep Sea Benthic Fauna)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: MedOBIS
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Taxonomic Information Sytem for the Belgian coastal area
- Senckenberg: Collection Cnidaria
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility: Marine Benthic Fauna List, Læsø, Denmark
- UK National Biodiversity Network: Joint Nature Conservation Committee - Marine benthic dataset (version 1) commissioned by UKOOA
- UK National Biodiversity Network: Marine Biological Association - Marine survey data (Professional) held by MarLIN.
- UK National Biodiversity Network: Marine Conservation Society - Seasearch Marine Surveys
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2565478
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: URM-Cn-4556
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 52419
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 599166