Vegetation: freshwater marshes, coastal waters, freshwater marshes, freshwater lakes and ponds • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Medium
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Huxley, 1867
- Order: Pelecaniformes () - Sharpe, 1891
- Superorder: Pelecanimorphae () - Huxley, 1867
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Members of the genus Pelecanus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 16 species and subspecies in this genus:
(Australian Pelican) · (Dalmatian Pelican) · (American White Pelican) · P. novaezealandiae (New Zealand Pelican) · (Brown Pelican) · (Brown Pelican (California)) · (Brown Pelican (Atlantic)) · (Brown Pelican (Caribbean)) · P. occidentalis thagus (Brown Pelican) · (Brown Pelican) · (Great White Pelican) · (Spot-Billed Pelican) · P. philippensis philippensis (Spot-Billed Pelican) · P. roseus (Rosy Pelican) · (Pink-Backed Pelican) · (Peruvian Pelican)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A List of birds' eggs in the collection of Mr. William Stoate, Wembdon, Bridgewater. [188-?] url p. 46.
- A catalogue of the birds of Kansas. By N.S. Goss. Published under the direction of the Executive council. Topeka, Kansas Publishing House, 1883. url p. 30.
- A catalogue of the birds of the Virginias / by Wm. C. Rives. Newport, R.I.: Printed for the Society by T.T. Pitman, 1890. url p. 98.
- A dictionary of birds, by Alfred Newton, assisted by Hans Gadow, with contributions from Richard Lydekker. .. Charles S. Roy. .. and Robert W. Shufeldt. .. London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 703.
- A faunal investigation of Long Point and vicinity, Norfolk County, Ontario / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1931. url p. 222.
- A guide to the study of fishes, by David Starr Jordan. .. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1905. url p. 345.
- A history of the birds of Colorado, London, Witherby & Co., 1912. url .
- A reprint of the North American zoology, by George Ord. Being an exact reproduction of the part originally compiled by Mr. Ord for Johnson & Warner, and first published by them in their 2d American ed. of Guthrie's geography, in 1815. Taken Haddonsfield, N.J., Pub. by the editor, 1894. url p. 77.
- A study of the structure of feathers, with reference to their taxonomic significance, by Asa C. Chandler. Berkeley, University of California press, 1916. url p. 257, p. 262, p. 312.
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York. [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932]. url p. 111.
- American insects / by Vernon L. Kellogg. New York: Holt, 1904. url p. 117.
- American insects, by Vernon L. Kellogg. .. with many original illustrations by Mary Wellman. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1908. url p. 117.
- American insects, ill. by Mary Wellman. New York, Holt, 1914. url p. 117.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 174, p. 567.
- Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York. New-York: 1824-1876. url p. 13, p. 298, p. 390, p. 426.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 107, p. 116, p. 119, p. 136, p. 145, p. 147, p. 152, p. 164, p. 80, p. 86, p. 99.
- Annual report of the Nebraska State Horticultural Society. Lincoln, Neb.: The Society. url p. 174.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: The Society, 1897- url p. 154, p. 201.
- Audubon and his journals, New York, C. Scribner, 1897. url .
- Audubon and his journals, by Maria R. Audubon. With zoo?logical and other notes by Elliott Coues. New York, Scribner's Sons, 1897. url p. 457.
- Biologia centrali-americana: Aves / [London: R.H. Porter], 1879-1904. url , .
- Bird guide...east of the Rockies, by Chester A. Reed. New York, Doubleday, Page & Co., 1910. url p. 72.
- Bird guide: water birds, game birds and birds of prey / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1916, c1910. url p. 72.
- Birds / by A.H. Evans. London: Macmillan, 1899 (1909 printing). url p. 603, p. 619.
- Birds of Massachusetts [by] J.A. Allen. [n.p.]1864-1886. url p. 135, p. 59, p. 97.
- Birds of eastern North America, Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & Company, 1912. url .
- Birds of the New York city region, by Ludlow Griscom, assistant curator of ornithology, with the cooperation of the Linnæan society of New York. .. New York, The Museum, 1923. url p. 396.
- Birds of the world for young people, New York, F.A. Stokes Company url .
- Birds of the world; a popular account. With a chapter on the anatomy of birds, by Frederic A. Lucas; the whole edited by Robert Ridgway. New York, Holt, 1909. url p. 865.
- Birds. Collected excerpts from v. 10 of Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. [n. p., 19--?] url .
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 113, p. 118, p. 173, p. 184, p. 50, p. 66, p. 72.
- Bulletin from the laboratories of natural history of the State University of Iowa. Iowa City, Iowa: The University, 1888-. url p. 283.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 17, p. 636.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 318.
- Bulletin of the Charleston Museum. [Charleston, S.C.: the Museum], 1907-1922. url , p. 57.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute. url p. 16.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 3 1872 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 131, p. 172, p. 364, p. 364, p. 399, p. 399, p. 413.
- Bulletin of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, [1876-1883] url p. 198.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 251, p. 983.
- Bulletin of the scientific laboratories of Denison University. Granville, Ohio: [The University], 1885- url p. 132.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 159, p. 16, p. 188, p. 233, p. 28, p. 32, p. 39, p. 40, p. 47.
- Catalogue of North American birds, chiefly in the Museum of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington, Smithsonian Institution, 1859. url .
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 116.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 460.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 219.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 219.
- Chapters on the natural history of the United States / by R. W. Shufeldt. New York: Studer Brothers, 1900. url p. 195.
- Contributions to North American ethnology. Vol. I-VII, IX. [Ed. by J.W. Powell] Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1877-93. url p. 159.
- Contributions to biology from the Hopkins Seaside Laboratory of the Leland Stanford Jr. University. Stanford University, Calif.: The University, 1895-1904. url p. 165, p. 38, p. 52.
- Evolution and animal life; an elementary discussion of facts, processes, laws and theories relating to the life and evolution of animals, by David Starr Jordan. .. and Vernon Lyman Kellogg. .. New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1907. url p. 20, p. 485.
- Explorations in the far North being a report of an expedition under the auspices of the University of Iowa during the years 1892, '93, and '94 / by Frank Russell. [Iowa City?]: State University of Iowa, 1898. url .
- Explorations in the far North, [Iowa City?]The University, 1898. url .
- Explorations in the far North, by Frank Russell. Being the report of an expedition under the auspices of the University of Iowa during the years 1892, '93, and '94. [Iowa City?]The University, 1898. url p. 288.
- Field and forest. [Washington: Columbia Press, 1875-1878]. url p. 212.
- First report of the state zoo?logist: accompanied with Notes on the birds of Minnesota / by P.L. Hatch, Henry F. Nachtrieb, state zoo?logist. Minneapolis: Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota: 1892. url p. 479.
- First report: accompanied with Notes on the birds of Minnesota, by P. L. Hatch. 1892. url p. 479.
- Game, shore, and water birds of India, with additional references to their allied species in other parts of the world. London, W. Thacker, 1904. url .
- Genera avium / Brussels: V. Verteneuil & L. Desmet, 1905-1914. url p. 2, p. 3.
- Genera insectorum / publiés par P. Wytsman. Bruxelles, L. Desmet-Verteneuil [etc.]1902-1970. url p. 59, p. 69.
- Handbook of birds of eastern North America; with introductory chapters on the study of birds in nature, by Frank M. Chapman. .. With full-page plates in colors and black and white by Louis Agassiz Fuertes and text-cuts by Tappan Adney and Ernest Thompson Seton. London: D. Appleton and Company, 1912. url p. 525.
- History of Delaware County, Pennsylvania: from the discovery of the territory included within its limit to the present time, with a notice of the geology of the county, and catalogues of its minerals, plants, quadrupeds, and birds, written un by George Smith, M.D. Philadelphia: Printed by Henry B. Ashmead, 1862. url p. 439.
- Hunting and fishing in Florida, including a key to the water birds known to occur in the state / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1896. url p. 152.
- Hunting and fishing in Florida: including a key to the water birds known to occur in the State / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: Estes & Lauriat, 1896 [c1895] url p. 152.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 151, p. 233, p. 45, p. 54, p. 578.
- Key to the water birds of Florida. Boston, Barta Press1896. url p. 20.
- Land birds of the Pacific district / by Lyman Belding. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, 1890. url p. 267.
- Land birds of the Pacific district, San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences, 1890. url .
- List of the specimens of birds in the collection of the British Museum. London: Printed by the order of the Trustees, 1848-1856. url p. 189.
- Louisiana herpetology, with a checklist of the batrachians and reptiles of the state and the avifauna of Louisiana, with an annotated list of the birds of the state / by George E. Beyer. New Orleans: [s.n.]1900. url p. 13.
- Memoirs of the Carnegie Museum. Pittsburgh: Published by the authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901-1936. url p. 111.
- Memoirs of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1886- url p. 27.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1965 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 8.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 49.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 267.
- Ornithologist and oo?logist Pawtucket, R.I. url p. 83, p. 97.
- Our living world; an artistic edition of the Rev. J. G. Wood's Natural history of animate creation. New York: S. Hess,  url p. 631.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 100, p. 524.
- Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society held at Philadelphia for promoting useful knowledge. Philadelphia: American Philosophical Society url p. 413.
- Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston [etc.]Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 125, p. 130, p. 416.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco, The Academy. url p. 165, p. 38, p. 56.
- Proceedings of the Essex Institute. Salem: Essex Institute Press. url , p. 233, p. 95.
- Proceedings of the Nebraska Ornithologists' Union. Lincoln, [1900-15] url .
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 15 1892 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 100, p. 11, p. 171, p. 352, p. 447, p. 61, p. 645, p. 84, p. 88.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 578, p. 588, p. 589.
- Proceedings. Salem, Mass.(1856-70) url p. 95.
- Psyche. Cambridge, Mass.: Cambridge Entomological Club url p. 246.
- Report of the Canadian Arctic Expedition 1913-18. Ottawa, F. A. Acland, Printer to the King, 1919- url .
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url p. 663.
- Report of the Geological Exploration of the Fortieth Parallel, made by order of the Secretary of War according to acts of Congress of March 2, 1867, and March 3, 1869 / Washington: Government Printing Office, 1870-1880. url p. 327, p. 341.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 102, p. 104, p. 116, p. 119, p. 136, p. 145, p. 147, p. 152, p. 164, p. 80, p. 99.
- Report of the geological exploration of the fortieth parallel / Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1870-80 url p. 337, p. 629.
- Report of the state zoölogist. Minneapolis, 1892-1895. url p. 479.
- Report on the progress and condition of the U.S. National Museum for the year ending June 30. .. / Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum. Washington: G.P.O., 1907-1951. url p. 110, p. 110, p. 125.
- Report upon United States Geographical Surveys West of the One Hundredth Meridian / Washington [D.C.]: G.P.O., 1875-1889. url p. 484.
- Report upon the condition and progress of the U.S. National Museum during the year ending June 30. .. / Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum. Washington: G.P.O., [189-?-190-?] url p. 109.
- Report upon the ornithological collections made in portions of Nevade, Utah, California, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona, during the years 1871, 1872, 1873, and 1874, by H.W. Henshaw. Washington, D.C., 1875 url p. 484.
- Smithsonian contributions to knowledge. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1848-1916. url p. 236, p. 63.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 19 1878 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 171, p. 205, p. 509.
- South Carolina. Resources and population. Institutions and industries. Pub. by the State Board of Agriculture of South Carolina. Charleston, S.C.Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1883. url p. 232, p. 232.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 324, p. 590.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 144, p. 177, p. 288, p. 317, p. 366, p. 418, p. 430, p. 665, p. 89.
- The Cambridge natural history, London, Macmillan and Co., Limited;1895-1909 url , .
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited;1895-1909 url p. 603, p. 619, p. 83.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 53 1939 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 139.
- The Canadian naturalist and geologist. Montreal: B. Dawson, 1856-1868. url p. 154.
- The Journal of the Cincinnati Society of Natural History. Cincinnati: The Society, 1878/79 [i.e. 1878 or 1879]-1945. url p. 64.
- The Oregon naturalist. Oregon City, Or.: Naturalist Pub. Co., url p. 142.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 115, p. 141, p. 141.
- The Quarterly journal of the Boston Zoological Society. Boston: The Society, 1882-1884. url p. 15.
- The Scientific proceedings of the Royal Dublin Society. Dublin: The Society, 1877- url p. 249.
- The avifauna of Louisiana, with an annotated list of the birds of the State [by] Geo. E. Beyer. New Orleans, La., 1900. url p. 13.
- The birds of Colorado / Fort Collins, Colo.: State Agricultural College, Agricultural Experiment Station, 1897. url .
- The birds of Ohio; a complete scientific and popular description of the 320 species of birds found in the state, Columbus, The Wheaton Publishing Co., 1903, [c1902] url .
- The birds of Washington; a complete, scientific and popular account of the 372 species of birds found in the state, by William Leon Dawson, assisted by John Hooper Bowles. Illustrated by more than 300 original half-tones of birds in life, nests, eggs, and favorite haunts, from photographs by the author and others, Seattle: The Occidental Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 857.
- The birds of east Pennsylvania and New Jersey / by William P. Turnbull. Philadelphia: H. Grambo & Co., 1869. url p. 49.
- The birds of eastern North America: with original descriptions of all the species which occur east of the Mississippi River, between the Arctic circle and the Gulf of Mexico, with full notes upon their habits, etc. / by C. J. Maynard; Newtonville, Mass.: Maynard, 1881. url p. 466.
- The birds of the Isle of Pines / by W. E. Clyde Todd. Pittsburgh, 1916 url p. 174.
- The descent of man, and selection in relation to sex. London, J. Murray, 1890. url p. 672.
- The descent of man: and selection in relation to sex / By Charles Darwin. New York: Merrill and Baker1874? url p. 655.
- The ecology of delta marshes of coastal Louisiana: a community profile / by James G. Gosselink. Washington, DC: National Coastal Ecosystems Team, Division of Biological Services, Research Development, Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior: 1984. url p. 132.
- The gannet: a bird with a history / by J. H. Gurney. London: Witherby, 1913. url p. 361.
- The history of the collections contained in the natural history departments of the British Museum. by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London, 1906. url p. 107.
- The natural history of Washington territory, with much relating to Minnesota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oregon, and California, between the thirty-sixth and forty-ninth parallels of latitude, being those parts of the final reports on the survey of the N By J. G. Cooper, M. D., and Dr. G. Suckley. .. This edition contains a new preface, giving a sketch of the explorations, a classified table of contents, and the latest additions by the authors. With f London, Baillière brothers, 1859. url p. 265.
- The naturalist's guide in collecting and preserving objects of natural history: with a complete catalogue of the birds of eastern Massachusetts / by C.J. Maynard; with illustrations by E.L. Weeks. Boston: S.E. Cassino & Co., 1883, c1877. url p. 149, p. 164.
- The osteology of the Steganopodes. Pittsburgh: Carnegie Institute, 1902 url p. 219.
- The structure and development of Corallobothrium, with descriptions of two new fish tapeworms; Urbana, Ill., c1928 url p. 32.
- The vertebrates of the Cayuga Lake basin, N. Y., n.p., 1909? url .
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 165.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 3 1919 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 6, p. 6.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 115, p. 116, p. 230, p. 239, p. 246.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 257, p. 262, p. 312, p. 313.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 12 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 690.
- Zoological series / Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. Minneapolis: Geological and Natural History Survey, 1892-1912. url p. 460, p. 479.
- Zoology for high schools and colleges / New York: H. Holt and Company, 1895. url .
- Zoology; a text-book for secondary schools, normal schools and colleges, by Thomas Walton Galloway. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston, 1909. url p. 412.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed March 27, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 20, 2007:
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database