Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Czech:
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in Dutch:
Brilparula Zanger, Brilparulazanger, Noordelijke Parula, Parulazanger
Common Names in English:
American Parula, Blue Yellow-backed Warbler, blue yellowback, blue yellowbacked warbler, finch creeper, Northern Parula, Parula Warbler, southern parula warbler
Common Names in Estonian:
Common Names in Faroese:
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Fauvette Parula, Paruline , paruline à collier, paruline Ã collier
Common Names in German:
Meisen Walds, Meisensänger, Meisenwalds, Meisenwaldsänger
Common Names in Haitian Creole French:
Ti Tchit Ble Pal
Common Names in Icelandic:
Common Names in Irish:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Latin:
Common Names in Lithuanian:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Slovak:
Common Names in Slovenian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Bijirita Chica, Parula Norte, Parula norteÃ±a, Parula norteña, Reinita norteña
Common Names in Spanish (Costa Rica):
Common Names in Spanish (Cuba):
Common Names in Spanish (Dominican Republic):
Common Names in Spanish (Honduras):
Common Names in Spanish (Mexico):
Common Names in Spanish (Nicaragua):
Common Names in Swedish:
Common Names in Turkish:
Adult : Face : Chin: bold yellow Eye Ring: broken white Neck: Throat : bold yellow Body: Belly: white Breast: bold yellow with chestnut and slate to blackish bands on upper breast Upperparts: bluish-gray Tail: blue-gray with white spots on outer feathers Length : short Undertail Coverts: white.
About 4.25 inches long, with a wingspan of 7 to 7 inches. Adults weigh about 0.3 ounces .
Vegetation: tropical lowland evergreen forest, tropical lowland evergreen forest, second-growth forests and woodlands, tropical lowland evergreen forest, pine-oak forests, gallery forests • Maximum Elevation: 1,500 meters • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Low
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 5,013 meters (0 to 16,447 feet).
List of Habitats
- 1 Forest
- 1.4 Forest - Temperate
- 1.6 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Lowland [more info]
late April to late June.
- Breeding Habitat : Woodland
- Nest Location: Mid-story/canopy nesting
- Nest Type: Open-cup
- Clutch Size: 3-7
- Length of Incubation : 12-14 days
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- Order: Passeriformes () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superorder: Passerimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Parula americana (Linnaeus, 1758)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 11-Oct-2007
Members of the genus Parula
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 9 species and subspecies in this genus:
P. americana (Blue Yellow-Backed Warbler) · P. americana americana (Northern Parula) · P. americana ushnea (Northern Parula) · P. gutturalis (Flame-Throated Warbler) · P. pitiayumi (Sennett's Olive-Backed Warbler) · P. pitiayumi nigrilora (Tropical Parula) · P. pitiayumi pitiayumi (Tropical Parula) · P. superciliosa (Crescent-Chested Warbler) · P. superciliosa superciliosa (Crescent-Chested Warbler)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of the birds of Kansas. By N.S. Goss. Published under the direction of the Executive council. Topeka, Kansas Publishing House, 1883. url p. 8.
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 88.
- A check list of North American birds. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url p. 34.
- A check list of North-American birds by Elliott Coues. Salem, Mass.: F.W. Putnam, 1879. url .
- A directory of the ornithologists of the United States: comprising a list of the collectors and students of ornithology, with the valuations of their collections, number of species represented, &c., &c., supplemented by statistics of value and information S.L. Willard. Utica, N.Y.: The Oologist, 1877. url p. 43.
- A geographical and comparative list of the birds of Europe and North America / by Charles Lucian Bonaparte. London: J. Van Voorst, 1838. url p. 20.
- A history of North American birds / by S. F. Baird, T. M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. 1 1905 Boston: Little, Brown, 1905. url figure , p. 208.
- A history of North American birds Boston, Little, Brown and Co., 1874. url p. 623.
- A history of North American birds land birds / by S. F. Baird, T.M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Boston: Little, Brown, 1874. url p. 504.
- A history of North American birds, by S.F. Baird, T.M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Land birds, illustrated by 64 chromo-lithographic plates and 593 woodcuts. Boston, Little, Brown, 1875. url , p. 207.
- A list of the birds of Hudson highlands: with annotations / by Edgar A. Mearns. [s.l.: s.n.], 1878-1881. url p. 23.
- A preliminary catalog of the birds of Missouri / St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis, 1907. url , .
- A revised list of Cincinnati birds. Cincinnati, Barclay, 1879. url .
- A survey of natural areas in Brunswick County, North Carolina: for The North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url .
- Advances in herpetology and evolutionary biology: essays in honor of Ernest E. Williams / Cambridge, Mass.: Museum of Comparative Zoology, 1983. url p. 511.
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url .
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 110, p. 149, p. 176.
- Animal Ecology. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall, 1961. url p. 467.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 270.
- Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York. New-York: 1824-1876. url p. 419.
- Annual report / Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. St. Paul: Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota, 1872-1898. url p. 150.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. 1861 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 405, p. 421, p. 421, p. 435.
- Annual report on the noxious, beneficial and other insects of the State of Missouri. Jefferson City, Mo.: Ellwood Kirby, 1869-1877. url p. 152.
- Biologia centrali-americana: Aves / [London: R.H. Porter], 1879-1904. url .
- Bird populations in east central Illinois: fluctuations, variations, and development over a half-century / Champaign: University of Illinois Press, c1982. url p. 136.
- Birds / by Spencer Fullerton Baird; with the co-operation of John Cassin and George N. Lawrence. Washington, D.C., 1858. url p. 237.
- Birds of Massachusetts [by] J.A. Allen. [n.p.]1864-1886. url p. 119, p. 45, p. 48.
- Birds of the Bahama islands; containing many birds new to the islands, and a number of undescribed winter plumages of North American species. By Charles B. Cory. Boston, The author, 1880. url p. 247.
- Birds of the Colorado Valley: a repository of scientific and popular information concerning North American ornithology / by Elliott Coues. Washington: G.P.O., 1878. url p. 207, p. 208, p. 209, p. 215, p. 242, p. 251.
- Birds of the Colorado valley. .. scientific and popular information concerning North American ornithology. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1878. url p. 207, p. 208, p. 209, p. 215, p. 242, p. 251.
- Birds of the Northwest: a hand-book of the ornithology of the region drained by the Missouri River and its tributaries / by Elliott Coues. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1874. url p. 46.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 117, p. 129, p. 135, p. 147, p. 15, p. 16, p. 167, p. 179, p. 234, p. 245, p. 266, p. 332, p. 368, p. 41, p. 475, p. 482, p. 528, p. 713, p. 727, p. 97.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1955 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 244, p. 340.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 241.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute. url p. 12, p. 152, p. 35, p. 49, p. 98.
- Bulletin of the Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History. Bloomington, Ill.: The Laboratory, 1876-1918. url p. 174.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 3 1872 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 124, p. 175, p. 191, p. 267, p. 267, p. 272, p. 285, p. 386, p. 386, p. 397, p. 397, p. 415, p. 415, p. 650.
- Bulletin of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, [1876-1883] url p. 141, p. 172, p. 205, p. 211, p. 22, p. 252, p. 255, p. 38, p. 67.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 12, p. 902.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 12, p. 146, p. 152, p. 233, p. 35, p. 49, p. 64, p. 89, p. 92, p. 95, p. 98.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 130.
- Catalogue of North American birds, chiefly in the Museum of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington, Smithsonian Institution, 1859. url .
- Catalogue of a collection of American birds / belonging to Philip Lutley Sclater. London: N. Trubner and Co., 1862. url p. 26.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. by Charles E. Hellmayr. 13 1935 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1935. url p. 348, p. 349.
- Catalogue of mammals, birds, reptiles, and fishes, of the Dominion of Canada Montréal?: s.n., 1878? url .
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 474, p. 562.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 562.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 254, p. 256, p. 642.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 61.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British Museum (Natural History) London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 61.
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 485.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 606.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 11.
- Compendium of natural features information / Baltimore: The Department, 1975. url p. 170, p. 175.
- Contributions to the natural history of the Bermudas. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1884. url p. 167, p. 179.
- Days out of doors, by Charles C. Abbott. .. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1889. url p. 321.
- Evolution of the colors of North American land birds / by Charles A. Keeler. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, 1893. url p. 356.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 139, p. 14, p. 140, p. 314, p. 44.
- Field and forest. [Washington: Columbia Press, 1875-1878]. url p. 197.
- Field ornithology comprising a manual of instruction for procuring, preparing and preserving birds and a check list of North American birds / by Elliott Coues. Boston: Estes & Lauriat, 1874. url .
- Final environmental impact statement: proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award for Apalachicola Bay and lower Apalachicola River, Franklin County, Florida to State of Florida / Washington, D.C.: Office of Coastal Zone Management, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 1979. url .
- "Forest and Stream" bird notes. An index and summary of all the ornithological matter contained in "Forest and Stream." Vols. I-XII. New York, Forest and Stream Publishing Co., 1881. url , .
- "Forest and stream" bird notes. An index and summary of all the ornithological matter contained in "Forest and Stream." Vols. I-XII. Compiled by H.B. Bailey. New York, Forest and Stream, 1881. url p. 161, p. 18.
- General index and supplement to the nine reports on the insects of Missouri / by Charles V. Riley. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1881. url p. 152.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1976 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url fig. 65, page 197, p. 223.
- History of Delaware County, Pennsylvania: from the discovery of the territory included within its limit to the present time, with a notice of the geology of the county, and catalogues of its minerals, plants, quadrupeds, and birds, written un by George Smith, M.D. Philadelphia: Printed by Henry B. Ashmead, 1862. url p. 436.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 143, p. 155, p. 168, p. 187, p. 188, p. 204, p. 207, p. 278, p. 283, p. 289, p. 313, p. 475, p. 484, p. 486, p. 501, p. 503, p. 508, p. 562, p. 594, p. 653, p. 687.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 79.
- Illinois birds, Wood warblers / Urbana: State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1983. url p. 34.
- Illustrations of the nests and eggs of birds of Ohio: with text / 2 1886 Circleville, Ohio, U.S.A.: [s.n.], 1886 url p. 317, p. 327, pl. LXVIII, p.
- Insects of Porto Rico and the Virgin Islands. New York, The Academy. url p. 591.
- Jobos Bay National Estuarine Sanctuary Management Plan. San Juan, P.R.: Dept. of Natural Resources, Commonwealth of Puerto Rico,  url p. 75.
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy, 1998- url p. 191.
- Manual of the natural history, geology, and physics of Greenland, and the neighboring regions: prepared for the use of the Arctic Expedition of 1875, under the direction of the Arctic Committee of the Royal Society, for the use of the expedition; published by authority of the Lords Commissione London: H.M. Stationery Off., printed by G.E. Eyre and W. Spottiswoode, 1875. url p. 98.
- Manual of the vertebrates of the northern United States, including the district east of the Mississippi River, and north of North Carolina and Tennessee, exclusive of marine species. By David Starr Jordan. .. Chicago, Jansen, McClurg & company, 1880. url p. 60.
- Meddelelser om Grønland. København, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url p. 21, p. 282, p. 283, p. 54, p. 73.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 188, p. 255, p. 272.
- Michigan bird life, a list of all the bird species known to occur in the state together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, wtih special reference to its relation t [Lansing]Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url .
- Michigan bird life: a list of all the bird species known to occur in the State together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, with special reference to its relation t by Walter Bradford Barrows. Lansing: Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url p. 590, p. 811.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1960 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 50, p. 51.
- Natural history. A manual of zoölogy for schools, colleges, and the general reader / By Sanborn Tenney. New York: Scribner, Armstrong & co., c1872. url .
- Nests and eggs of American birds. By Ernest Ingersoll. Parts 1-7. Salem, Mass., S.E. Cassino[c1880] url p. 99.
- New England bird life: being a manual of New England ornithology; rev. and ed. from the manuscript of Winfrid A. Stearns. .. by Dr. Elliott Coues. .. Boston, C.T. Dillingham, 1881-83. url p. 108, p. 108, p. 324, p. 324, p. 324.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 136, p. 280, p. 280, p. 392, p. 396, p. 396, p. 66.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 356.
- Ornithologist and oo?logist Pawtucket, R.I. url , p. 178, p. 62, p. 86, p. 88.
- Ornithology and oo?logy of New England: containing full descriptions of the birds of New England, and adjoining states and provinces. .. by Edward A. Samuels. Boston, Nichols and Noyes, 1867. url p. 203.
- Ornithology and oölogy of New England: containing full descriptions of the birds of New England, and adjoining states and provinces. .. by Edward A. Samuels. Boston: Nichols and Noyes, 1867. url p. 203.
- Our birds in their haunts a popular treatise on the birds of eastern North America / by J. Hibbert Langille. Boston: S.E. Cassino, 1884. url , , .
- Our birds in their haunts: a popular treatise on the birds of eastern North America / New York: Orange Judd, 1892, c1884. url , .
- Our living world; an artistic edition of the Rev. J. G. Wood's Natural history of animate creation. New York: S. Hess,  url p. 650.
- Our native birds of song and beauty, being a complete history of all the songbirds, flycatchers, hummingbirds, swifts, goatsuckers, woodpeckers, kingfishers, trogons, cuckoos, and parrots, of North America. 1 1893 Milwaukee, G. Brumder, 1893-96. url p. 195.
- Our northern and eastern birds: containing descriptions of the birds of the northern and eastern states and British provinces; together with a history of their habits, times of arrival and departure, their distribution, food, song, by Edward A. Samuels; with a supplement from Holder's "American fauna." New York: R. Worthington, 1883. url p. 203.
- P.D. Skaar's Montana bird distribution / revised by the Montana Bird Distribution Committee. [Helena, MT]:Montana Natural Heritage Program, 1996 url p. 91.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url , p. 20, p. 352, p. 352, p. 364.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url , , p. 388, p. 402, p. 403, p. 404, p. 405, p. 406, p. 407, p. 408.
- Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston [etc.]Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 108, p. 234, p. 416.
- Proceedings of the Essex Institute. Salem: Essex Institute Press. url p. 233, p. 59, p. 92, p. 95.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 1 1878 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 123, p. 171, p. 509, p. 754.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 230, p. 230, p. 373.
- Proceedings. Salem, Mass.(1856-70) url p. 85.
- Proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award to the state of New York for a Hudson River estuarine sanctuary. Albany, N.Y.: New York, Dept. of Environmental Conservation,  url p. 124.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 13.
- Quarterly bulletin of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, . url p. 99.
- Quarterly report of the Pennsylvania Board of Agriculture / Pennsylvania Board of Agriculture. [Harrisburg, Pa.]: Pennsylvania Board of Agriculture, 1873-1894. url .
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url , , , .
- Report of the United States Entomological Commission. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1878-90. url p. 289.
- Report upon cotton insects, prepared under the direction of the commissioner of agriculture in pursuance of an act of Congress approved June 19, 1878. By J. Henry Comstock, entomologist to the Department of agriculture. Washington: Gov't. print. off., 1879. url p. 160.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Washington, A. O. P. Nicholson, printer [etc.]1855-60. url .
- Review of American birds in the Museum of the Smithsonian Instution. by S.F. Baird. Washington: The Institution, 1864-1872. url , .
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 12 1874 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 170, p. 171, p. 5, p. 89, p. 90.
- South Carolina. Resources and population. Institutions and industries. Pub. by the State Board of Agriculture of South Carolina. Charleston, S.C.Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1883. url p. 219.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 29.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 146, p. 15, p. 171, p. 175, p. 176, p. 178, p. 178, p. 179, p. 26, p. 377, p. 404, p. 414, p. 429, p. 473, p. 519, p. 73.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 138, p. 173, p. 178, p. 247, p. 311, p. 366, p. 389, p. 434, p. 487, p. 510, p. 518, p. 610, p. 69, p. 702, p. 8.
- The Coues check list of North American birds [Elliott Coues]. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url .
- The Great Basin naturalist. 28 1968 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 56.
- The Journal of the Cincinnati Society of Natural History. Cincinnati: The Society, 1878/79 [i.e. 1878 or 1879]-1945. url p. 101, p. 190.
- The Oo?logist for the student of birds, their nests and eggs. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886- url p. 3.
- The Quarterly journal of the Boston Zoological Society. Boston: The Society, 1882-1884. url p. 56, p. 57, p. 58.
- The birds of Canada: with descriptions of their plumage, habits, food, song, nests, eggs, times of arrival and departure, by Alexander Milton Ross. Toronto, Rowsell and Hutchison, 1872. url p. 132.
- The birds of Connecticut, Hartford, Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url .
- The birds of Connecticut, by John Hall Sage and Louis Bennett Bishop, assisted by Walter Parks Bliss. Hartford, Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url p. 235, p. 235.
- The birds of Indiana. A descriptive catalogue of the birds that have been observed within the state, with an account of their habits. Indianapolis, Indiana Dept. of Geology and Natural Resources, 1898 url p. 1039.
- The birds of Indiana: a descriptive catalog of the birds that have been observed within the state, with an account of their habits / by Amos W. Butler. Indianapolis: W. B. Burford, Contractor for State Printing, 1898 url p. 1039.
- The birds of Indiana; a descriptive catalog of the birds that have been observed within the state, with an account of their habits. Indianapolis, W. B. Burford, Contractor for State Printing, 1898 url .
- The birds of New England / by Edward A. Samuels. Boston: Noyes, Holmes, 1870, c1867. url p. 203.
- The birds of New England and adjacent states. ..: arranged by a long-approved classification and nomenclature. .. with illustrations of many species of the birds, and accurate figures of their eggs / by Edward A. Samuels; with an appendix containing supplementary notes. Boston: Lockwood, Brooks, 1880. url p. 203.
- The birds of North America: one hundred and nineteen artistic colored plates representing the different species and varieties drawn and colored from nature: including a copious text giving a popular account of their habits and 1903 New York: Published under the auspices of the Natural Science Association of America, 1903. url .
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , , , .
- The birds of eastern North America: with original descriptions of all the species which occur east of the Mississippi River, between the Arctic circle and the Gulf of Mexico, with full notes upon their habits, etc. / by C. J. Maynard; Newtonville, Mass.: Maynard, 1881. url p. 65.
- The birds of the Bahama Islands: containing many birds new to the Islands, and a number of undescribed winter plumages of North American birds / by Charles B. Cory. Boston, U.S.A.: Estes & Lauriat, 1890, c1879. url , p. 225, p. 247.
- The birds of the Bermudas. By Savile G. Reid. Printed in "The Zoologist" for October and November, 1877, and now reprinted by permission. Hamilton, Bermuda, Printed at the Royal Gazette Office, 1883. url .
- The birds of the Chicago area / [Chicago, Jennings and Graham], 1907. url , .
- The birds of the Chicago area, by Frank Morley Woodruff. .. [Chicago, Printed by Jennings and Graham]1907. url p. 159, p. 211.
- The birds of the Isle of Pines / by W. E. Clyde Todd. Pittsburgh, 1916 url p. 270.
- The birds of the Japanese Empire. London, R. H. Porter, 1890. url , p. 85.
- The birds of the West Indies. Including all speciesknown to occur in the Bahama Islands, the Greater Antilles, the Caymans, and the Lesser Antilles, excepting the islands of Tobago and Trinidad. By Charles B. Cory. Boston, Estes & Lauriat, 1889. url p. 40.
- The changing Illinois environment: critical trends: technical report of the Critical Trends Assessment Project. Springfield, Ill.: Ill. Dept. of Energy and Natural Resources, 1994. url p. 150.
- The influence of distribution and ecology on the thermoregulation of small birds. 1970. url , p. 12, p. 62.
- The naturalist's manual: containing descriptions of the nests and eggs of North American birds. (Turididae-Tanagridae.) Also instructions for collecting and preserving birds, nests, eggs & insects / by Oliver Davie. Columbus, Ohio: Columbus Printing Works, 1882. url p. 51.
- The oologists' hand-book: 1885 catalogue of American birds' eggs, and oological supplies, with prices at which they may be obtained of / Frank H. Lattin. Rochester (N.Y.): John P. Smith, Printer, 1885. url p. 12.
- The ornithology of Illinois. Part I. Descriptive catalogue. By Robert Ridgway. Part II. Economic ornithology. By S. A. Forbes. Pub. by the authority of the state Legislature. Springfield, Ill., H. W. Rokker, printer, 1889-95. url p. 131, p. 131.
- The warblers of North America / New York: D. Appleton, 1917. url .
- The warblers of North America / by Frank M. Chapman, with the coöperation of other ornithologists. New York: D. Appleton, 1917, [c1907] url p. 46.
- The warblers of North America, New York, D. Appleton & Company, 1907. url , .
- The warblers of North America, by Frank M. Chapman, with the coo?peration of other ornithologists; with twenty-four full-page colored plates, illustrating every species, from drawings by Louis Agassiz Fuertes and Bruce Horsfall, an 1907 New York, D. Appleton & Company, 1907. url p. 46.
- Transactions of Vassar Brothers Institute, and its Scientific Section. Poughkeepsie, N.Y.: Vassar Brothers Institute, [1883-1896]. url p. 52.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 220, p. 220, p. 220, p. 280, p. 280, p. 280.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 14 1966 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 164.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 10 1956 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 13, p. 343, p. 494, p. 580, p. 585, p. 620, p. 638, p. 665, p. 690, p. 692.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 16, p. 4593.
- BirdLife International 2004. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 18, 2008.
- BirdLife International 2009. Parula americana. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 03February2012.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 and ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 05, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 16 providers.
- Hines, J. E., Gregory Gough, J. R. Sauer, et al. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- NatureServe. 2003. Downloadable animal data sets. NatureServe Central Databases. Accessed February 6, 2005.
- Parker III, T.A., D.F. Stotz, and J.W. Fitzpatrick, and quot;Ecological and Distributional Databases for Neotropical Birds, and quot; in Neotropical Birds: Ecology and Conservation, by D.F. Stotz, T.A. Parker III, J.W. Fitzpatrick, and D.K. Moskovits (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1996). ISBN 0-226-64676-9.
- Peterson, Alan P. Zoological Nomenclature Resource. Accessed June 19, 2009.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- Sauer, J. R., J. E. Hines, and J. Fallon. 2005. The North American Breeding Bird Survey, Results and Analysis 1966 - 2004. Version 2005.2. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
- Sauer, J. R., S. Schwartz, and B. Hoover. 1996. The Christmas Bird Count Home Page. Version 95.1. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 05, 2008:
- Avian Knowledge Network: eBird
- Avian Knowledge Network: Great Backyard Bird Count
- Avian Knowledge Network: Project FeederWatch
- Bird Studies Canada: Marsh Monitoring Program - Birds
- Bird Studies Canada: Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 1981-1985
- Bird Studies Canada: Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 2001-2005
- Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Ontario Nest Records
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds (Aves)
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Bird Collection
- Cornell University Museum of Vertebrates: Bird Collection
- EMAN Provider: PIROP (Shipboard Surveys)
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University: MCZ Ornithology Collection
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology: Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- New Brunswick Museum: NBM birds
- Royal Ontario Museum: Bird specimens
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History: Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- UCLA-Dickey Bird Collection (UCLA-Dickey): Bird specimens
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM: CNAV/Coleccion Nacional de Aves
- University of Colorado Museum: Zoological specimens
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ): Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 7393
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-178868
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 14369038
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 178868
- IUCN ID: 230615
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABPBX02010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 13583