Common Names in English:
Grainyhand Hermit, Grainyhand Hermit Crab, Granular Hermit Crab
Species Pagurus granosimanus
This common intertidal hermit crab is most easily distinguished by the light blue raised dots on the chelipeds and walking legs , plus the unbanded orange or red antennae. The legs of young individuals may be yellow. Carapace to 1.9 cm.
Typically found in the intertidal zone at the water's edge at a mean distance from sea level of 51.54 meters (169.09 feet).
This species is often found in Tegula funebralis, Searlesia
dira or Nucella lamellosa shells
. Small individuals live
in Littorina shells. It seems to prefer shells large enough
that it can completely withdraw inside. It lives lower in the intertidal
than does P. hirsutiusculus but higher than P. beringanus.
mainly in the afternoon and night, and sometimes can be found
in large aggregations on shallow sand
In Puget Sound this hermit is said to change shells more often than does P. hirsutiusculus, and holds onto its shells more tenaceously. It is often able to evict P. hirsutiusculus from its shell and take it over.
Predators include the black prickleback, Xiphister atropurpureus. 
to Inver_Family.asp">anosimanus.html" target="_blank">Key
- Benedict, 1901
- Specific name:
- (Stimpson, 1859)
- Scientific name: - Pagurus granosimanus (Stimpson, 1859)
- Specific name: granosimanus - (Stimpson, 1859)
- Genus: Pagurus () - Benedict, 1901
- Family: Key to Inver_Family.asp">anosimanus.html" target="_blank">Key to Inver ()
- Order: Decapoda () - Decapods
- Phylum: Arthropoda () - Arthropods
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 18-Jan-2005
Of the species common in the intertidal, none have the blue dots all over the legs. P. beringanus has red bands and red dots on the legs. P. hirsutiusculus has no dots and hairy legs. P. hemphilli has dark red legs with yellow spots, with a white dot at the end. P. samuelis is found only on the open coast and has red antennae and a blue band on the dactyls of legs 2 and 3. (Ref. 109953)
Members of the genus Pagurus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 29 species and subspecies in this genus:
P. acadianus (Acadian Hermit Crab) · P. aleuticus (Aleutian Hermit) · P. armatus (Armed Hermit) · P. beringanus (Bering Hermit) · P. brandti (Sponge Hermit) · P. carolinensis (Wormreef Hermit) · P. caurinus (Greenmark Hermit) · P. confragosus (Knobbyhand Hermit) · P. cornutus (Hornyhand Hermit) · P. dalli (Whiteknee Hermit) · P. granosimanus (Grainyhand Hermit) · P. hemphilli (Maroon Hermit) · P. hirsutiusculus (Hairy Hermit) · P. hirsutiusculus hirsutiusculus (Hairy Hermit Crab) · P. impressus (Dimpled Hermit) · P. kennerlyi (Bluespine Hermit) · P. longicarpus (Long-Armed Hermit Crab) · P. ochotensis (Alaskan Hermit) · P. pollicaris (Flatclaw Hermit) · P. quaylei (Quayle's Hermit Crab) · P. rathbuni (Longfinger Hermit) · P. redondoensis (Bandclaw Hermit) · P. samuelis (Blueband Hermit) · P. setosus (Setose Hermit) · P. spilocarpus (Spotwrist Hermit) · P. stevensae (Stevens Hermit) · P. tanneri (Longhand Hermit) · P. trigonocheirus (Fuzzy Hermit) · P. undosus (Pribilof Hermit)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- Alaska / Harriman Alaska Expedition. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1901-1910. url , p. 160.
- Alaska. .. New York, Doubleday, Page & Company, 1901- url , p. 160.
- Alaska. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1901- url , p. 160.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1971- url p. 34, p. 36, p. 39, p. 58, p. 74, p. 78, p. 85.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 131.
- Decapod crustaceans of the northwest coast of North America. .. New York, 1904. url , p. 160.
- Harriman Alaska series. City of Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1910-1914. url p. 160.
- Harriman Alaska series. vol. I-V, VIII-XIV Washington, D.C., Smithsonian Institution, 1910-14 url , p. 160.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 146.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 211, p. 314.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 283.
- Synopsis of California stalk-eyed Crustacea, San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences, 1900. url p. 146.
- Synopsis of California stalk-eyed crustacea. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences, 1900. url p. 146.
- Textbook of zoology / by George Edwin Potter. St. Louis: Mosby, 1947. url p. 776.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url , p. 122, p. 122, p. 143, p. 205, p. 207, p. 306, p. 308, p. 357, p. 91.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 44 1930 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 102, p. 104.
- The marine decapod Crustacea of California, with special reference to the decapod Crustacea collected by the United States Bureau of Fisheries steamer "Albatross" in connection with the biological survey of San Francisco bay during the years 19 Berkeley, University of California press, 1921. url p. 129, p. 141, p. 283.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 129, p. 141, p. 283.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
- Cowles, Dave. Key to Invertebrates Found At or Near The Rosario Beach Marine Laboratory (a campus of Walla Walla University) Fidalgo Island, Anacortes, WA.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed February 29, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 2 providers.
- Ocean Biogeographic Information System. Accessed March 01, 2006. www.iobis.org
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 29, 2008:
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Gwaii Haanas Invertebrates (OBIS Canada)
- University of Alaska Museum of the North: University of Alaska Museum of the North Crustacean Collection
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2706952
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-97786
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481187
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 97786
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 523010
- Cowles, Dave. Key to Invertebrates Found At or Near The Rosario Beach Marine Laboratory (a campus of Walla Walla University) Fidalgo Island, Anacortes, WA May 2009. [back]
- Standard Deviation = 333.650 based on 41 observations. Terrestrial altitude and ocean depth information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]