Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Afrikaans:
Common Names in Croatian:
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Broad-billed Prion, Broad billed Prion, Broadbilled Prion, Parara
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Prion de Forster
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hungarian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Māori:
Common Names in Norwegian Nynorsk:
Common Names in Swedish:
Typically found in water with a depth of 0 to -5,226 meters (0 to -17,146 feet).
Biome: Marine .
of this species is comprised mostly of cruaceans (especially
), squid and some fish. It apparently takes more crustaceans
in summer and small squid in winter. Prey
is obtained usually by
hydroplaning and by filtering or surface-seizing. Breeding starts
in July or August and individuals are strongly colonial
in burrows which are sometimes occupied by more than one pair. It
on a large variety of substrates and areas; coastal slopes
flat lava fields
, offshore islets
, dry rocky soil, caves
List of Habitats :
- 4 Grassland
- 4.3 Grassland - Subantarctic
- 6 Rocky areas (eg. inland cliffs, mountain peaks)
- 9 Marine Neritic
- 9.1 Marine Neritic - Pelagic
- 9.2 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Rock and Rocky Reefs
- 9.3 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Loose Rock/pebble/gravel
- 9.4 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy
- 9.5 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy-Mud
- 9.7 Marine Neritic - Macroalgal/Kelp
- 9.9 Marine Neritic - Seagrass (Submerged)
- 10 Marine Oceanic
- 10.1 Marine Oceanic - Epipelagic (0-200m)
- 10.2 Marine Oceanic - Mesopelagic (200-1000m)
- 12 Marine Intertidal
- 12.1 Marine Intertidal - Rocky Shoreline
- 13 Marine Coastal/Supratidal
- 13.1 Marine Coastal/Supratidal - Sea Cliffs and Rocky Offshore Islands [more info]
- Chatton, 1925
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Grobben, 1908
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Zittel, 1879
- Jawed Vertebrates
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Gadow, 1893
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Fürbringer, 1888
- (Fürbringer, 1888)
- Gadow, 1893
- Infraorder: Ciconiides () - Bonaparte, 1854
- Suborder: Procellarae () - Gadow, 1893
- Order: Procellariiformes () - (Fürbringer, 1888)
- Superorder: Procellariimorphae () - Fürbringer, 1888
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Neornithes () - Gadow, 1893
- Class: Aves () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Gnathostomata () - Zittel, 1879 - Jawed Vertebrates
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Superphylum: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Animals
Pachyptila vittata (Forster, 1777)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 13-Jun-2007
Members of the genus Pachyptila
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 13 species and subspecies in this genus:
P. belcheri (Slender-Billed Prion) · P. crassirostris (Fulmar Prion) · P. crassirostris crassirostris (Thick-Billed Prion) · P. crassirostris pyramidalis (Chatham Fulmar Prion) · P. desolata (Antarctic Prion) · P. desolata banksi (Antarctic Prion) · P. desolata desolata (Antarctic (Kerguelen) Prion) · P. forsteri (Broad-Billed Prion) · P. salvini (Salvin's Prion) · P. salvini salvini (Medium-Billed Prion) · P. turtur (Fairy Prion) · P. turtur turtur (Fairy Prion) · P. vittata (Broad-Billed Prion)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A history of the birds of New Zealand / London: John van Voorst, 1873 url .
- A list of the birds of Australia: containing the names and synonyms connected with each genus, species, and subspecies of birds found in Australia, at present known to the author / London: Witherby, 1913. url p. 374, p. 39, p. 400.
- A manual of the birds of Australia / by Gregory M. Mathews. .. and. .. Tom Iredale; illus. with coloured and monochrome plates by Lilian Medland. London: Witherby, 1921. url , , p. 43.
- A manual of the birds of Australia, by Gregory M. Mathews. .. and Tom Iredale. .. Illustrated with coloured and monochrome plates by Lilian Medland. Vol. I. Orders Casuarii to Columbæ. London, H.F. & G. Witherby, 1921. url p. 43.
- Austral avian record; a scientific journal devoted primarily to the study of the Australian avifauna. London: Witherby. url p. 166, p. 52, p. 68.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1971- url p. 85, p. 86.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 56.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 433.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 79, p. 80.
- Cuvier's animal kingdom: arranged according to its organization / translated from the French, and abridged for the use of students by H. McMurtrie... London: Orr and Smith, 1834. url p. 161.
- Handbook to The birds of Australia. By John Gould. LondonPub. by the author, 1865. url p. 474, p. 474.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 247.
- Illustrations of the zoology of South Africa: consisting chiefly of figures and descriptions of the objects of natural history collected during an expedition into the interior of South Africa, in the years 1834, 1835, and 1836, fitted out by "The by Andrew Smith; published under the authority of the Lords Commissioners of Her Majesty's Treasury. 2 London: Smith, Elder and Co., 1838-1849. url .
- Madagascar: an environmental profile IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 175.
- Oceanic birds of South America: a study of species of the related coasts and seas, including the American quadrant of Antarctica, based upon the Brewster-Sanford collection in the American Museum of Natural History / by Robert Cushman Murphy; illustrated from paintings by Francis L. Jaques; photographs, maps, and other drawings. I 1936 New York: Macmillan Co.: c1936. url p. 623, p. 72.
- Parental care and its evolution in birds. Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1952. url p. 331.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 14, p. 17, p. 18, p. 186, p. 19, p. 46, p. 47.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 169.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 14, p. 17, p. 18, p. 186, p. 19, p. 46, p. 47.
- Proceedings of the Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales. Mosman, New South Wales [etc.]The Society. url p. 11, p. 16, p. 26.
- The Emu: official organ of the Australasian Ornithologists' Union. Melbourne: Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union, 1901- url p. 56, p. 67, p. 74.
- The animal kingdom, arranged according to its organization, serving as a foundation for the natural history of animals: and an introduction to comparative anatomy / Baron Cuvier. London, G. Henderson, 1834-37. url .
- The birds of southeastern Madagascar / Steven M. Goodman. .. [et al.]. 87 1997 [Chicago, Ill.]: Field Museum of Natural History, c1997. url p. 131, p. 23.
- The pictorial museum of animated nature. .. London: C. Cox, [1844?] url p. 63.
- The treasury of natural history; or, A popular dictionary of animated nature: in which the zoological characteristics that distinguish the different classes, genera, and species, are combined with a variety of interesting information illustrative of the habits, instincts, and g By Samuel Maunder. .. London, Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1852. url p. 485.
- Travels in New Zealand with contributions to the geography, geology, botany, and natural history of that country / by Ernst Dieffenbach. London: J. Murray, 1843. url p. 200.
- BirdLife International 2009. Pachyptila vittata. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 03February2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 09, 2007:
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- Provider, Online Zoological Collections of Australian Museums
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 9025
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-174603
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2480765
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 174603
- IUCN ID: 229377
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 152446
- Mean = -3,434.270 meters (-11,267.290 feet), Standard Deviation = 1,550.410 based on 114 observations. Ocean depth information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- BirdLife International 2009. Pachyptila vittata. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 03 February 2012. [back]