Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Musk Ox, muskox, oomingmak
Common Names in French:
Boeuf Musqu, boeuf musquÃ©, boeuf musqué
Body Length: 200-245 cm / 6.6-8.1 ft . Shoulder Height: 125-135 cm / 4.1-4.5 ft. Tail Length: 10-14 cm / 4-5.6 in. Weight: 180-380 kg / 396-836 lb .
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 1,373 meters (0 to 4,505 feet).
Muskoxen are large-bodied herbivores in an environment characterized
by a short and variable plant growing season
high) and a long winter when the availability of low quality forage
is highly variable through the snow cover
. Typically, muskoxen live
in mixed sex and age herds
or small male bachelor herds which have
within which muskoxen move between seasonal ranges
adapted to a diet of sedges and grasses, muskoxen
and forage selectively for forbs
. They calve
before snow melt so lactation is supported by the cow’s fat reserves
which the cow
has to replenish during the brief summer. Muskoxen
have a high threshold of fat reserves before conceiving which reflects
their conservative breeding strategies. Winter ranges typically have
shallow snow to reduce the energetic costs of digging through snow
to reach forage. Muskoxen may also be susceptible to internal parasites
but their role in muskox foraging
ecology and population dynamics
is unknown. The implications of the low genetic variability of muskoxen
are likewise unknown..
List of Habitats :
- 4 Grassland
- 4.1 Grassland - Tundra [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Rowe, 1988) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Wible et al., 1995) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- McKenna, 1975
- McKenna, 1975
- McKenna, 1975
- (McKenna, 1975) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Parker & Haswell, 1897) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Owen, 1837) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Mckenna, 1975) M.c. Mckenna & S.k. Bell, 1997
- (McKenna, 1975) McKenna, in Stucky & McKenna, in Benton, ed., 1993
- (C. Linnaeus, 1766) McKenna, 1975
- McKenna, 1975
- Owen, 1848
- Suborder: Ruminantia () - Scopoli, 1777
- Order: Cetartiodactyla () - Owen, 1848
- Mirorder: Eparctocyona () - McKenna, 1975
- Grandorder: Ungulata () - (C. Linnaeus, 1766) McKenna, 1975
- Superorder: Preptotheria () - (McKenna, 1975) McKenna, in Stucky & McKenna, in Benton, ed., 1993
- Magnorder: Epitheria () - (Mckenna, 1975) M.c. Mckenna & S.k. Bell, 1997
- Cohort: Placentalia () - (Owen, 1837) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Supercohort: Theria () - (Parker & Haswell, 1897) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Infralegion: Tribosphenida () - (McKenna, 1975) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Sublegion: Zatheria () - McKenna, 1975
- Legion: Cladotheria () - McKenna, 1975
- Superlegion: Trechnotheria () - McKenna, 1975
- Infraclass: Holotheria () - (Wible et al., 1995) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Subclass: Theriiformes () - (Rowe, 1988) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Class: Mammalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 22-Apr-2004
Members of the genus Ovibos
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 3 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A biological investigation of the Athabaska-Mackenzie region. By Edward A. Preble. .. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1908. url p. 150, p. 554, p. 563, p. 568, p. 8.
- A biological investigation of the Hudson Bay region. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1902. url , .
- A catalogue of British fossil vertebrata / by Arthur Smith Woodward and Charles Davies Sherborn. London: Dulau & co., 1890. url p. 321, p. 324.
- A catalogue of the collection of mammals in the Field Columbian Museum. 1907 8 Chicago: Field Columbian Museum, 1907. url p. 98, p. 99.
- A check list of mammals of the North American continent, the West Indies and the neighboring seas. Chicago, 1905. url p. 55, p. 55, p. 56, p. 654.
- A geographical history of mammals. By R. Lydekker. .. Cambridge, The University press, 1896. url , , , , p. xi.
- A guide to the fossil mammals and birds in the Department of geology and paleontology in the British museum (Natural history). With 6 plates and 88 text-figures. London, Printed by order of the Trustees [by W. Clowes and sons, limited]1904. url , .
- A hand-book to the British mammalia. London, Edward Lloyd, 1896. url , , p. 305, p. 305, p. 336, p. 336, p. 336.
- A history of land mammals in the Western Hemisphere; illustrated with 32 plates and more than 100 drawings New York, Macmillan, 1913. url .
- A history of land mammals in the western hemisphere, by William B. Scott. .. illustrated with 32 plates and more than 100 drawings, by Bruce Horsfall. New York, The MacMillan Company, 1913. url p. 418.
- A journey from Prince of Wales's Fort in Hudson's Bay to the Northern Ocean, in the years 1769, 1770, 1771, and 1772 / Toronto: Champlain society, 1911. url p. 164.
- A list of the land and sea mammals of North America north of Mexico. Supplement to the synopsis. By D.G. Elliot. 2 1901 Chicago, 1901. url p. 485.
- A manual of palaeontology for the use of students with a general introduction on the principles of palaeontology, by Henry Alleyne Nicholson. Edinburgh, London: W. Blackwood and sons, 1872. url p. 440, p. 560.
- A manual of palæontology for the use of students: with a general introduction on the principles of palæontology / by Henry Alleyne Nicholson. .. and Richard Lydekker. EdinburghW. Blackwood and sons, 1879. url p. 369.
- A manual of zoology / by Richard Hertwig New York: H. Holt, 1909, c1902 url p. 642.
- A manual of zoology for the use of students: with a general introd. on the principles of zoology / by Henry Alleyne Nicholson. London: William Blackwood 8 Sons, 1887. url p. 526.
- A manual of zoology, by Richard Hertwig. New York, H. Holt, 1912. url p. 569.
- A monograph of the British Palaeozoic Asterozoa London, Printed for the Palaeontographical Society, 1913 [i.e. 1914]-1965. url , .
- A popular zoology / by J. Dorman Steele and J.W.P. Jenks. New York: A.S. Barnes & Company, c 1887. url p. 316.
- A survey and record of Woolwich and West Kent containing descriptions and records, brought up-to-date, of geology, botany, zoology, archaeology and industries of the district, with a brief photographic commentary, in commemoration of the 12th Ann General editors, C.H. Grinling, T.A. Ingram [and] B.C. Polkinghorne. Woolwich: Labour Representation Print. Co., 1909. url p. 21, p. 28.
- A synopsis of the mammals of North America and the adjacent seas, by Daniel Giraud Elliot... 2 1901 Chicago, [Field Columbia Museum]1901. url p. 458, list of illustrations, page xi.
- A synoptic text-book of zoölogy, for colleges and schools / by Arthur Wisswald Weysse. New York: Macmillan, 1904, c1903. url .
- Abstract of proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng.]: South London Entomological and Natural History Society, [1885-1896] url p. 36.
- Across the sub-Arctics of Canada, a journey of 3, 200 miles by canoe and snow shoe through the Hudson Bay region, Toronto: William Briggs, 1908. url .
- Advances in the study of mammalian behavior / edited by John F. Eisenberg and Devra G. Kleiman. [Stillwater, Okla.]: American Society of Mammalogists; 1983. url p. 171, p. 652.
- American animals: a popular guide to the mammals of North America north of Mexico, with intimate biographies of the more familiar species / by Witmer Stone and William Everett Cram. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1917. url , p. 313, p. 65.
- American animals; a popular guide to the mammals of North America north of Mexico, with intimate biographies of the more familiar species, by Witmer Stone and William Everett Cram. Garden City, N. Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1922 [c1902] url , p. 65.
- American big game in its haunts; the book of the Boone and Crockett club. Editor: George Bird Grinnell. New York, Forest and stream publishing company, 1904. url p. 73, p. 73.
- An Arctic ecosystem: the coastal tundra at Barrow, Alaska / edited by Jerry Brown. .. [et al.]. Stroudsburg, Pa.: Dowden, Hutchinson & Ross: c1980. url p. 9.
- An introduction to the study of mammals living and extinct, London, A. and C. Black, 1891. url .
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 186, p. 319, p. 352.
- Anatomischer Anzeiger. Jena: G. Fischer, 1886- url p. 112, p. 22, p. 220, p. 34, p. 43, p. 96.
- Animal biology / by Robert H. Wolcott. New York; McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc., 1940. url p. 439.
- Animal geography, the faunas of the natural regions of the Globe. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1913. url p. 21.
- Animal geography: the faunas of the natural regions of the globe / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1913. url .
- Animate creation: popular edition of "Our living world": a natural history / by the Rev. J.G. Wood. New York: Selmar Hess, c1898. url p. 523.
- Animate creation; popular edition of "Our living world" a natural history, by the Rev. J. G. Wood. Revised and adapted to American zoology, by Joseph B. Holder. .. New York, S. Hess[c1885] url p. viii.
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York, New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 258, p. 301, p. 43.
- Annual report of the Bureau of Ethnology to the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: G.P.O., 1881-1897. url p. 56.
- Annual report of the Director to the Board of Trustees for the year. .. / Field Columbian Museum. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1895-1905. url p. 266.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: The Society, 1897- url p. 137, p. 196.
- Annual report. United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories. 1st-12th, 1867-1878. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1867-83. url p. 823.
- Aus dem reiche der pelze. bd. I: Geschichte des rauchwarenhandels. bd. II: Naturgeschichte der pelztiere. Von Emil Brass. Berlin, Im verlage der Neuen pelzwaren-zeitung[pref. 1911] url p. 678, p. 678.
- Bibliography and catalogue of the fossil vertebrata of North America, by Oliver Perry Hay. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1902. url p. 144, p. 688, p. 75.
- Big game shooting / by Clive Phillipps-Wholley. London: Longmans, Green, 1894-1895. url p. 447.
- Big game shooting by Clive Phillipps-Wolley; with contributions by Sir Samuel W. Baker. .. [et al.]; with illustrations by Charles Whymper, J. Wolf and H. Willink, and from photographs. London: Longmans, Green, 1894. url .
- Big game shooting. With contributions by Sir Samuel W. Baker [and others] With illus. by Charles Whymper, J. Wolf and H. Willink. London: Longmans, Green, 1894. url p. 428, p. 447.
- Bio-ecology, by Frederic E. Clements. .. and Victor E. Shelford. .. New York, J. Wiley & Sons, inc.;1939. url p. 114, p. 416.
- Biodiversity indicators for integrated environmental assessments at the regional and global level: feasibility study on data availability of six biodiversity indicators National Institute of Public Health and Environmental Protection (RIVM) url p. 13.
- Biological series. TorontoUniversity Press [etc.]1898-1956. url p. 4, p. 5, p. 7, p. 8.
- Biology: concepts and applications / Cecie Starr. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Pub., c1997. url p. 737, p. 801.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 162.
- Brehm's Life of animals: a complete natural history for popular home instruction and for the use of schools. by Alfred Edmund Brehm; copiously illustrated with wood cuts and color-plates by Fr. Specht. .. [et al]; translated from the third German edition as edited by Prof. Dr. Pechuel-Loesche and William H 1 1895 Chicago: Marquis, 1895. url figure , p. 465.
- British mammals; an attempt to describe and illustrate the mammalian fauna of the British islands from the commencement of the Pleistocene period down to the present day, London, Hutchinson, 1903. url , , .
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. 1879 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 192, p. 300, p. 327, p. 329, p. 395, p. 49, p. 495, p. 517, p. 524, p. 57, p. 820, p. 830, p. 87.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 289, p. 398, p. 88.
- Bulletin of the Geological Society of America. [New York: The Society], 1890-1960. url , p. 435.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 2 1871 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 405, p. 405.
- Canada's missing dimension: science and history in the Canadian Arctic Islands / Ottawa: Canadian Museum of Nature, 1990. url , p. 142, p. 143, p. 146, p. 154, p. 159, p. 361, p. 4, p. 586, p. 633, p. 849.
- Cassell's natural history. Ed. by P. Martin Duncan. .. London [etc]Cassell & Company, Limited, 1891-96. url p. 30.
- Catalogue of ruminant Mammalia (Pecora, Linnaeus) in the British Museum / by John Edward Gray. London: British Museum, 1872. url p. 32.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 166, p. 197, p. 203, p. 496, p. 504, p. 652, p. 940, p. 942.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 166, p. 197, p. 203, p. 456, p. 496, p. 504, p. 652, p. 837, p. 940, p. 942.
- Catalogue of the bones of Mammalia in the collection of the British museum. London, Printed by Order of the Trustees, 1862. url .
- Catalogue of the bones of mammalia in the collection of the British Museum / [compiled by Edward Gerrard]. London: printed by Taylor and Francis, by order of the Trustees, 1862 url p. 231.
- Catalogue of the collection to illustrate the animal resources and the fisheries of the United States, exhibited at Philadelphia in 1876 by the Smithsonian Institution and the United States Fish Commission, and forming a part of the United States National Museum. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1879. url p. 192, p. 201, p. 327.
- Catalogue of the fossil Mammalia in the British museum (Natural History) by Richard Lydekker. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1885-1887. url p. 25.
- Catalogue of the fossil mammalia in the British Museum (Natural History), by Richard Lydekker. London, Trustees of the B.M., 1885-7. url p. 25.
- Catalogue of the specimens of Mammalia in the collection of the British Museum London: Printed by order of the trustees, 1850 url , p. 281, p. 283, p. 43.
- Catalogue of the ungulate mammals in the British Museum (Natural History) by R. Lydekker. London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1913-16. url , , p. 173, p. 176, p. 180, p. 206, p. 222, p. 224, p. 241, p. 242, p. 243, p. 244, p. 248, p. 249, p. xx.
- Catalogue of type specimens of mammals in Chicago Natural History Museum [by] Colin Campbell Sanborn. 32 1947 [Chicago]1947. url p. 276, p. 279.
- Checklists for the CORINE Biotopes Programme and its application in the PHARE countries of Central and East Europe: including comparisons with relevant conventions and agreements on the conservation of European species and habitats EC url p. 8.
- Classification of the collection to illustrate the animal resources of the United States. A list of substances derived from the animal kingdom, with synopsis of the useful and injurious animals and a classification to the methods of capture and utilization. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1876. url , .
- Collected writings on mammals. [v.p.]1870-1908. url p. 21, p. 70, p. 71, p. 72, p. 73, p. 74, p. 75, p. 76, p. 77, p. 80, p. 84.
- College zoology, New York, The Macmillan company, 1912 url p. 671.
- College zoology, by Robert W. Hegner. New York, The Macmillan company, 1912. url p. 670.
- College zoology. New YorkMacmillan1918 url p. 670, p. 671.
- Comparative anatomy and physiology / by F. Jeffrey Bell. Philadelphia: Lea Brothers, 1885. url p. 369.
- Comparative anatomy and physiology. London, Cassell, 1885. url p. 369.
- Contributions to North American ichthyology. Based primarily on the collections of the United States National Museum. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1877-78. url p. 192, p. 319, p. 327, p. 329.
- Darwin and modern science; essays in commemoration of the centenary of the birth of Charles Darwin and of the fiftieth anniversary of the publication of the Origin of species. Edited for the Cambridge Philosophical Society and CambridgeUniversity Press1910 url p. 591.
- Descriptive catalogue of the osteological series contained in the museum. .. by Richard Owen. London, Taylor and Francis, 1853. url p. 621, p. 622.
- Distribution and origin of life in America, by Robert Francis Scharff New York, Macmillan, 1912 url p. 59, p. 6, p. 9.
- Early man in Britain and his place in the tertiary period by W. Boyd Dawkins; illustrated by woodcuts. London: Macmillan, 1880. url p. 135, p. 535, p. 99.
- Edmund Loder, naturalist, horticulturist, traveller and sportsman: a memoir / by Alfred E. Pease; with contributions by St. George Littledale [et. al.]. London: J. Murray, 1923. url p. 327.
- Elements of zoology. By Charles Frederick Holder. .. and James Bassett Holder. New York: American book company, [c1885] url p. 336.
- Elements of zoölogy: a textbook / by Sanborn Tenney; illustrated by 750 wood engravings. New York: Scribner, c1875. url p. 101.
- Ethnological results of the Point Barrow expedition. By John Murdoch, naturalist and observer, International polar expedition to Point Barrow, Alaska, 1881-1883 Washington, 1892 url p. 56.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 757.
- Experimental evolution; lectures delivered in the "Summer School of Art and Science", University Hall, Edinburgh (August, 1891) by Henry de Varigny. and New York, Macmillan and Co., 1892. url p. 267.
- Explorations in the far North being a report of an expedition under the auspices of the University of Iowa during the years 1892, '93, and '94 / by Frank Russell. [Iowa City?]: State University of Iowa, 1898. url .
- Explorations in the far North, [Iowa City?]The University, 1898. url , .
- Explorations in the far North, by Frank Russell. Being the report of an expedition under the auspices of the University of Iowa during the years 1892, '93, and '94. [Iowa City?]The University, 1898. url p. 232, p. 288.
- Extinct and vanishing mammals of the western hemisphere, with the marine species of all the oceans, by Grover M. Allen. .. [Cambridge? Mass.]American Committee for International Wild Life Protection, 1942. url p. 329, p. 332, p. 333.
- Farmer's cyclopedia of live stock / by Earley Vernon Wilcox, Ph.D., and Clarence Beaman Smith. New York: Orange Judd company, 1912. url p. 685.
- Field book of North American mammals; descriptions of every mammal known north of the Rio Grande, together with brief accounts of habits, geographical ranges, etc., by H. E. Anthony. .. with 32 coloured plates and 175 photographs, pen-and-ink sketches and maps. New York, G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1928. url fig. 118, p. 540, p. 541.
- Final natural history essays. London, Sherratt & Hughes, 1907. url p. 101.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 5, p. 69, p. 73.
- Fossil shrews from Honduras and their significance for late glacial evolution in body size (Mammalia: Soricidae: Cryptotis) / Neal Woodman --, Darin A. Croft --. Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 2005. url p. 18.
- Four-footed Americans and their kin / New York: Macmillan, 1898. url .
- Fur-bearing animals in nature and in commerce. London, Gurney & Jackson, 1892. url p. 390, p. 390, p. 390.
- Geological magazine. London [etc.]Cambridge University Press. url p. 123, p. 153, p. 188, p. 211, p. 233, p. 246, p. 247, p. 269, p. 302, p. 318, p. 318, p. 377, p. 426, p. 435, p. 439, p. 509, p. 532, p. 533, p. 578, p. 578, p. 579, p. 58, p. 581, p. 582, p. 582, p. 584, p. 612, p. 62, p. 69, p. 94.
- Geology of Oxford and the valley of the Thames by John Phillips. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1871. url , .
- Giant short-faced bear (Arctodus simus yukonensis) remains from Fulton County, northern Indiana / Ronald L. Richards --, William D. Turnbull --; with an appendix by E.J. Neiburger. Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1995. url p. 31.
- Global Biodiversity: status of the Earth's living resources WCMC url p. 374.
- Guide to the galleries of mammalia (mammalian, osteological, cetacean) in the Department of Zoology of the British Museum (Natural History). [London]: Trustees of the British Museum, 1892. url p. 43, p. 93.
- Handbuch der Biologie der Wirbeltiere. Von Dr. M. Hilzheimer. unter Mitwirkung von Dr. Phil. O. Haempel. mikt 599 Textabbildungen. vii, 756 p.illus (part col.)26 cm. url p. 712.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 224.
- Horn measurements and weights of the great game of the world: being a record for the use of sportsmen and naturalists. By Rowland Ward. .. London, The Jungle, 1892. url , , p. 218, p. 218.
- Humboldt; Monatsschrift für die gesamten Naturwissenschaften. Stuttgart, F. Enke, 1882-90. url p. 436.
- IX, plate
- Iconographic encyclopaedia of science, literature, and art. systematically arranged by J.G. Heck. Translated from the German, with additions, and edited by Spencer F. Baird. .. illustrated by five hundred steel plates, containing upwards to twelve thousand en New York, R. Garrigue, 1851. url p. 10.
- In the land of the moose, the bear, and the beaver: adventures in the forests of the Athabasca. London: Nelson, 1890. url p. 301.
- In wildest Africa / by C.G. Schillings; translated from German By Frederic Whyte; with over 300 photographic studies direct from the author's negatives, taken by day and night; and other illustrations. New York: Harper, 1907. url p. 182.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 15, p. 183, p. 47.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 6 1986 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 276.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 162.
- Life of Sir John Lubbock, Lord Avebury / by Horace G. Hutchinson. London: Macmillan, 1914. url p. 39, p. vi.
- Life; a book for elementary students, by Sir Arthur E. Shipley. Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1923. url , p. 200.
- List of North American land mammals in the United States National Museum, 1911; by Gerrit S. Miller, jr. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1912. url p. 395.
- Mammalia. Deer, antelopes, camels, &c. By the editor. Edinburgh: W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc., 1855?] url , .
- Mammalia. Popularly described by typical species. With numerous anecdotes. London, F. Warne and Co.; url .
- Mammalia: their various forms and habits, popularly illustrated by typical species / London; Cassell, Petter, Galpin & Co., 1883. url p. 603.
- Mammals collected by the Swedish Zoological expedition to British East Africa 1911. Uppsala, Almqvist & Wiksell, 1912. url .
- Mammals of America; technical editor, H. E. Anthony. .. artists, Carl Rungius, Belmore Browne, George A. King. .. New York, The University Society, inc.[c1917] url p. 333, p. 45.
- Manual of the natural history, geology and physics of Greenland and the neighbouring regions / prepared for the use of the Arctic expedition of 1875, under the direction of the Arctic Committee of the London: Printed for H.M.S.O., 1875. url , , , , .
- Material for a bibliography of North American mammals prepared by Theodore Gill and Elliott Coues. Washington: G.P.O., 1877. url .
- Meddelelser om Grønland. København, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url , p. 1129, p. 121, p. 17, p. 26, p. 328, p. 351, p. 352, p. 372, p. 374, p. 390, p. 396, p. 468, p. 469, p. 470, p. 472, p. 474, p. 476, p. 478, p. 487, p. 58, p. 86.
- Memoir on the extinct species of American ox. By Joseph Leidy. Washington, Smithsonian Institution, 1852 url p. 4.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1957 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 16, p. 16, p. 80.
- Monographs of North American Rodentia. By Elliott Coues and Joel Asaph Allen. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1877. url p. 1021.
- Mostly mammals, zoological essays, London, Hutchinson & Co., 1903. url , .
- Mostly mammals, zoological essays. New York, Dodd Mead, 1903. url p. 287, p. 287, p. 380.
- Mostly mammals: zoological essays / by R. Lydekker; with 16 full-page illustrations by the Duchess of Bedford. .. [et al.]. New York: Dodd Mead, 1903. url p. 287.
- Musk-ox, bison, sheep and goat, by Caspar Whitney, George Bird Grinnell, and Owen Wister. New York, London, Macmillan, 1904. url p. 104, p. 104, p. 281, p. 281, p. 82, p. 83, p. 86.
- Musk-ox, bison, sheep, and goat, by Caspar Whitney, George Bird Grinnell, and Owen Wister. New York, London, Macmillan, 1904. url p. 104, p. 104, p. 106, p. 281, p. 281, p. 86.
- Narrative of a voyage to the Polar Sea during 1875-6 in H.M. ships ' Alert' and 'Discovery' by Sir G.S. Nares; with notes on the natural history edited by H.W. Feilden. London: S. Low, Marston, Searle & Rivington, 1878. url .
- Natural history, by R. Lydekker [and others] London, Hutchinson, 1897. url p. 755.
- Natural history, by R. Lydekker, W. F. Kirby, B. B. Woodward, R. Kirpatrick, R. I. Pocock, R. Bowdler Sharpe, W. Garstang, F. A. Bather, H. M. Bernard. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1897. url p. 160, p. 161.
- Natural history. A manual of zoölogy for schools, colleges, and the general reader / By Sanborn Tenney. New York: Scribner, Armstrong & co., c1872. url p. 63.
- Natural history. New York: American Museum of Natural History. url p. 134, p. 135.
- Natural history: a manual of zoology for schools, colleges, and the general reader / by Sanborn Tenney. New York: Charles Scribner & Co., 1865. url p. 105.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 101, p. 120, p. 138, p. 138.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url , p. 114, p. 214, p. 458, p. 475, p. 577, p. 63.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 138, p. 37, p. 43.
- On snow-shoes to the Barren Grounds: twenty-eight hundred miles after musk-oxen and wood-bison. London, Osgood, McIlvaine, 1896. url p. 224.
- On the classification and geographical distribution of the Mammalia, being a lecture on Sir Robert Reade's foundation, delivered before the University of Cambridge. .. May 10, 1859. To which is added an appendix "On the gorilla, " and "On the extinction and transmutatio By Richard Owen. .. London, J. W. Parker and son, 1859. url p. 57, p. 57.
- Our country's animals and how to know them. A guide to the mammals, reptiles and amphibians of Great Britain. With plates and diagrams by R.E. Holding. London, Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent url p. 92.
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 338.
- Our living world; an artistic edition of the Rev. J. G. Wood's Natural history of animate creation. 1 1885 New York: S. Hess,  url illustration , p. 523, p. viii.
- Outlines of general zoology. New York [N.Y.]: Rudolph Garrigue, 1851. url .
- Outlines of vertebrate palæontology for students of zoology / by Arthur Smith Woodward. Cambridge: University Press, 1898. url p. 373.
- Palaeontology, or, A systematic summary of extinct animals and their geological relations / by Richard Owen. Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1860. url p. 401.
- Physiography: an introduction to the study of nature. London: Macmillan, 1877. url p. 283.
- Popular natural history: a description of animal life, from the lowest forms up to man / by J. Sterling Kingsley. Boston: Estes & Lauriat, 1890. url p. 650.
- Popular official guide to the New York Zoological Park / New York: New York Zoological Society, c1909. url .
- Popular science monthly. New York: D. Appleton, 1872-1950. url p. 122, p. 364, p. 688, p. 72.
- Pre-historic times London, Williams and Norgate, 1865 url p. 237, p. 283.
- Pre-historic times, as illustrated by ancient remains and the manners and customs of modern savages, by Sir John Lubbock, bart. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1892. url p. 288.
- Prehistoric Europe: a geological sketch / London: Edward Stanford, 1881. url p. 279, p. 29, p. 584.
- Principles of economic zoölogy, by L. S. Daugherty and M. C. Daugherty. Philadelphia, W. B. Saunders, 1917. url p. 425.
- Proboscidea: a monograph of the discovery, evolution, migration and extinction of the mastodonts and elephants of the world / by Henry Fairfield Osborn; edited by Mabel Rice Percy. New York: Published on the J. Pierpont Morgan Fund by the trustees of the American Museum of Natural History: 1936-1942. url p. 1135, p. 1155.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 135, p. 135, p. 187, p. 188, p. 24, p. 24.
- Proceedings of the Canadian Institute. Toronto, Canadian Institute. url p. 113.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 6 1883 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 520, p. 523, p. 592, p. 670, p. 670, p. 768.
- Protozoan parasites of domestic animals and of man. Minneapolis, Burgess Pub. Co. url p. 397.
- Provincial Museum of Natural History and Enthnology. Victoria, B.C., Printed by Richard Wolfenden, 1909. url p. 20.
- Publication. Field Columbian Museum. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1895-1909. url p. 55, p. 56, p. 654.
- Publications in palaentology = Publications en paleontologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url , , , , p. 10, p. 11, p. 12, p. 3, p. 5, p. 6, p. 67, p. 9.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 159, p. 169, p. 191.
- Records of big game containing an account of their distribution, descriptions of species, lengths, and weights, measurements of horns and field notes. .. London, Rowland Ward and Co., Limited, 1896. url p. 260.
- Records of big game with their distribution, characteristics, dimensions, weights, and horn & tusk measurements. Edited by R. Lydekker and J. B. Burlace. London, 1914. url p. 351.
- Records of big game, with their distribution, characteristics, dimensions, weights, and horn & tusk measurements. London: R. Ward, limited, 1907. url p. 416, p. 523.
- Records of big game: with their distribution, characteristics, dimensions, weights, and horn & tusk measurements / by Rowland Ward, F.Z.S. London [England]: Rowland Ward, limited, 1910. url p. 353.
- Records of big game; with the distribution, characteristics, dimensions, weights, and horn & tusk measurements of the different species. London, R. Ward, limited, 1903. url p. 397.
- Reliquiae aquitanicae: being contributions to the archaeology and palaeontology of Pèrigord and the adjoining provinces of Southern France / ed. by Thomas Rupert Jones, 1865-75. London: Williams, 1875. url p. 148, p. 150, p. 182, p. 193, p. 195, p. 196, p. 197, p. 198, p. 199, p. 201, p. 202, p. 280, p. 281, p. 282, p. 9, p. xiii.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Report of the International Polar Expedition to Point Barrow, Alaska, in response to the resolution of the House of Representatives of December 11, 1884. Washington: G.P.O., 1885. url p. 98.
- Report of the Royal commission appointed by Order-in-council of date May 20, 1919, to investigate the possibilities of the reindeer and musk-ox industries in the arctic and sub-arctic regions of Canad Ottawa, F. A. Acland, printer, 1922. url p. 76.
- Report of the United States Geological Survey of the territories. F.V. Hayden, United States geologist in charge. .. [Final reports or monographs. vol. I]-III, V-XIII. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1873-90. url , .
- Report upon natural history collections made in Alaska: between the years 1877 and 1881 / by Edward W. Nelson; edited by Henry W. Henshaw; prepared under the direction of the chief signal officer. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1887. url p. 232.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Made under the direction of the secretary of war, in 1853-. .. Washington, A.O.P. Nicholson, Printer [etc.]1855-60. url , , p. 680, p. 680, p. 681, p. 752, p. 752, p. 757, p. 757.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 158, p. 334.
- Science progress in the twentieth century: a quarterly journal of scientific work & thought. London: John Murray, 1906-1916. url p. 7.
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 194, p. 25.
- Science. 36 1912 New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 720.
- Scientific lectures, London, Macmillan and Co., 1890. url .
- Scientific lectures. By Sir John Lubbock. London, Macmillan and Co., 1879. url p. 143.
- Scientific lectures. London, Macmillan, 1890. url p. 146.
- Smithsonian contributions to knowledge. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1848-1916. url p. 107, p. 4.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 13 1876 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url section d , p. 174, p. 177, p. 179, p. 180, p. 185, p. 3, p. 319, p. 327, p. 35, p. 38, p. 57, p. 71, Plate Text, Table of Contents, plate
- Sport with gun and rod in American woods and waters. Edited by Alfred M. Mayer. New York, The Century Co. url p. 325.
- Studies in evolution; mainly reprints of occasional papers selected from the publications of the Laboratory of invertebrate paleontology, Peabody Museum, Yale University. By Charles Emerson Beecher. New York, C. Scribner, 1901. url p. 53, p. 627.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 25, p. 33, p. 33, p. 54, p. 55, p. 60, p. 7, p. 70.
- Systematic results of the study of North American land mammals to the close of the year 1900, by Gerrit S. Miller, Jr., and James A. G. Rehn. Boston, Society of Natural History, 1901. url p. 21, p. 21, p. 22, p. 22.
- Text book of vertebrate zoology, by J. S. Kingsley. New York, Holt, 1899. url p. 400.
- Text book of zoology London, Sampson Low, Marston, 1896. url .
- Text-book of zoology for schools and colleges. New York, D. Appleton and Co., 1884. url .
- Textbook of zoology / by George Edwin Potter. St. Louis: Mosby, 1947. url p. 631.
- The American natural history: a foundation of useful knowledge of the higher animals of North America / William T. Hornaday. .. illustrated by 225 original drawings. .. 151 photographs. .. and with numerous charts and maps. New York: C. Scribner's sons, 1914. url , p. 18, p. 341.
- The American natural history; a foundation of useful knowledge of the higher animals of North America, New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1914. url , , .
- The Annual of scientific discovery: or, Year-book of facts in science and art. Boston: Gould, Kendall, and Lincoln, 1850- url , p. 255.
- The Arctic prairies: a canoe-journey of 2, 000 miles in search of the caribou; being the account of a voyage to the region north of Aylmer Lake / by Ernest Thompson Seton. Toronto: W. Briggs, 1911. url p. 341.
- The Arctic world: its plants, animals and natural phenomena with a historical sketch of Arctic discovery down to the British Polar Expedition: 1875-76. London;T. Nelson, [1876?] url .
- The Cambridge natural history / edited by S. F. Harmer and A. E. Shipley. London: Macmillan and Co.; 1895-1909. url p. 327, p. 600.
- The Cambridge natural history, London, Macmillan and Co., Limited;1895-1909 url .
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited;1895-1909 url p. 327, p. 600.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , bayley , , , critchell-bullock , , , , , p. 100, p. 102, p. 103, p. 105, p. 107, p. 156, p. 162, p. 168, p. 179, p. 183, p. 187, p. 203, p. 206, p. 214, p. 225, p. 234, p. 234, p. 260, p. 264, p. 277, p. 308, p. 311, p. 328, p. 371, p. 389, p. 433, p. 446, p. 450, p. 462, p. 466, p. 470, p. 471, p. 477, p. 481, p. 484, p. 490, p. 515, p. 52, p. 531, p. 533, p. 569, p. 575, p. 576, p. 577, p. 578, p. 578, p. 579, p. 580, p. 582, p. 586, p. 60, p. 628, p. 629, p. 635, p. 636, p. 636, p. 637, p. 638, p. 639, p. 639, p. 644, p. 662, p. 669, p. 673, p. 685, p. 700, p. 702, p. 71, p. 720, p. 731, p. 732, p. 734, p. 734, p. 744, p. 745, p. 748, p. 755, p. 76, p. 78, p. 787, p. 79, p. 8, p. 81, p. 83, p. 84, p. 91, p. 99.
- The Canadian naturalist and geologist. Montreal: B. Dawson, 1856-1868. url p. 141, p. 172, p. 440, p. 475.
- The Eskimo tribes; their distribution and characteristics, especially as regards language, with a comparative vocabulary and sketch-map. Copenhagen1887-91. url p. 94.
- The Geological record. .. A list of publications on geology, mineralogy, and palæontology. London, 1875-89. url p. 279.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 47 1987 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url fig. 6, page 245, fig. 14, page 250, p. 381, p. 382.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 17 1880 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 349, p. 598.
- The Labrador coast. A journal of two summer cruises to that region. New York: N.D.C. Hodges, 1891. url .
- The Labrador coast. New York, N. D. C. Hodges: [etc., etc.]1891. url p. 444.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 688.
- The Naturalist. 1898 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 67.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 108, p. 15, p. 15, p. 16, p. 16, p. 17, p. 17, p. 18, p. 18.
- The Pleistocene of North America and its vertebrated animals form the states east of the Mississippi River and form the Canadian provinces east of longitude 95. WashingtonCarnegie Institution of Washington1923 url p. 21, p. 244, p. 248, p. 249, p. 252, p. 334, p. 456, p. 493.
- The Popular science monthly. New York, Popular Science Pub. Co., etc. url , p. 688, p. 72.
- The Vertebrata of the Pliocene deposits of Britain. London, Printed for H.M. Stationery off., by Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1891. url , .
- The Victoria history of Berkshire. edited by P.H. Ditchfield and William Page. [LondonConstable]1906-1923 url p. 25.
- The Victoria history of the county of Kent; ed. by William Page. London, Constable, 1908- url p. 32.
- The age of mammals in Europe, Asia and North America, by Henry Fairfield Osborn. .. New York, The Macmillan Company, 1910. url p. 414, p. 438.
- The ancient life-history of the earth; New York: D. Appleton and company, 1897. url p. 356, p. 356, p. 403.
- The animal kingdom; based upon the writings of the eminent naturalists, Audubon, Wallace, Brehm, Wood and others / edited by Hugh Craig. New York: Johnson & Bailey, 1897. url p. 653, p. 799.
- The animals of the world. Brehm's life of animals; Chicago, A. N. Marquis, 1895. url , .
- The animals of the world: Brehm's Life of animals; a complete natural history for popular home instruction and for the use of schools / by Alfred Edmund Brehm; copiously illustrated. .. by Fr. Specht. .. [et al.] Mammalia. Brought down and especially adapted for the use of English readers. Tr. from the 3d German edition as ed. by Chicago: A.N. Marquis & Co., 1895. url p. 465.
- The conservation of the wild life of Canada / by C. Gordon Hewitt. New York: C. Scribner's Sons, 1921. url p. 5, p. 89.
- The descent of man, and selection in relation to sex. London, J. Murray, 1890. url p. 670.
- The descent of man: and selection in relation to sex / New York: Merrill and Baker, pref. 1874. url , .
- The faunal connections between Europe and North America. New York, Wiley url p. 245, p. 303, p. 336.
- The geographical and geological distribution of animals / New York: D. Appleton, 1901, c1886. url , , .
- The geographical distribution of animals: with a study of the relations of living and extinct faunas as elucidating the past changes of the earth's surface / by Alfred Russel Wallace; in two volumes; with maps and illustrations. New York: Harper and Brothers, Publishers, 1876. url p. 138.
- The geographical distribution of mammals. By Andrew Murray. London, Day and Son, limited, 1866. url p. 397, p. 398.
- The geography of mammals, by William Lutley Sclater and Philip Lutley Sclater. London, K. Paul, Trench, Trübner & co., ltd., 1899. url p. 158, p. 334.
- The geology of the London district, being the area included in the four sheets of the special map of London. London, H.M. Stationery Off., 1922. url p. 51, p. 60.
- The great and small game of Europe, western & northern Asia and America; their distribution, habits, and structure, by R. Lydekker. London, R. Ward, limited, 1901. url , p. 310.
- The handy natural history, by Ernest Protheroe, F.Z.S. With 318 illustrations, 136 being in full color. 1910 Boston, R.G. Badger, The Gorham press, 1910. url p. 308.
- The history of the European fauna. London, W. Scott, 1899. url p. 119, p. 134, p. 202, p. 203, p. 361, p. 95.
- The history of the collections contained in the Natural history departments of the British museum... London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1904-12. url p. 262, p. 277.
- The life of animals; the mammals, London, The Macmillan Company, 1906. url .
- The mammalian faunas of the Washakie Formation, Eocene age, of southern Wyoming. William D. Turnbull --. Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 2002. url p. 118.
- The mammals of India; a natural history of all the animals known to inhabit continental India. London, J. Wheldon, 1874. url p. 300.
- The mammals of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. A biographic, historic and descriptive account of the furred animals of land and sea, both living and extinct, known to have existed in these states. .. Philadelphia, Privately published, 1903. url .
- The museum of natural history, with introductory essay on the natural history of the primeval world: being a popular account of the structure, habits, and classification of the various departments of the animal kingdom, quadrupeds, birds, reptiles, fishes, shells, and insects, including the insects d by Sir John Richardson, William S. Dallas, T. Spencer Cobbold, and William Baird & Adam White. Edinburgh: William MacKenzie, [1869?] url p. 162, p. 226.
- The natural history of animals (class Mammalia-animals which suckle their young), in word and picture, London, Blackie[188-?] url .
- The natural history of animals: (class Mammalia--animals which suckle their young), in word and picture / by Carl Vogt and Friedrich Specht; translated and edited with additions by George G. Chisholm. London: Blackie & Son, [1889?] url p. 115, p. 116, p. 238, p. vi, p. x.
- The natural history of animals: the animal life of the world in its various aspects and relations, London, The Gresham Publishing Company, 1903-04. url , .
- The natural history review. Dublin: Hodges & Smith, 1854-1865. url p. 276, p. 585.
- The new natural history, by Richard Lydekker. .. and R. Bowdler Sharpe, H.A. MacPherson, F.O. Pickard-Cambridge, W.R. Ogilvie Grant, C.J. Gahan, F.A. Bather, Edgar A. Smith, R.I. Pocock, M. Bernard, H. Bernard and R. Kirkpatr New York, Merrill and Baker[189-?] url p. 208.
- The origin and relationship of the large mammals of North America / by Madison Grant. New York: Office of the Society, New York Zoological Society, 1904. url p. 19.
- The polar and tropical worlds: a description of man and nature in the polar and equatorial regions of the globe / by G. Hartwig; edited, with additional chapters, by A. H. Guernsey. San Francisco: A. L. Bancroft, 1871. url p. 40, p. 747.
- The polar world: a popular description of man and nature in the Arctic and Antarctic regions of the globe. By Dr. G. Hartwig. With additional chapters. New York, Harper & Brothers, 1869. url p. 40, p. 479.
- The popular encyclopedia; being a general dictionary of arts, sciences, literature, biography, history, and political economy, reprinted from the American edition of the "Conversations lexicon". .. with dissertations on the ri by Sir D.K. Sandford, on the progress of science, by Thomas Thomson, and on the progress of the fine arts, by Allan Cunningham. Glasgow, Blackie[n.d.] url p. 653.
- The primaeval world of Switzerland by Professor Heer; edited by James Heywood. London: Longmans, Green, 1876. url p. 224.
- The principles of applied zoology, by Robert A. Wardle. London, Longmans, Greem, and co., 1929. url p. 259.
- The quadrupeds of North America, New York, V.G. Audubon, 1851-54. url p. 46.
- The recognition of Pleistocene faunas, by Oliver P. Hay. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1912. url p. 8.
- The royal natural history / edited by Richard Lydekker; with preface by P.L. Sclater; illustrated with seventy-two coloured plates and sixteen hundred engravings by W. Kuhnert. .. [et al.]. London: F. Warne, 1893-1896. url p. 216.
- The royal natural history, ed. by Richard Lydekker. .. With preface by P.L. Sclater. .. Illustrated with 72 col. plates and 1600 engravings. 1894 London, F. Warne, 1893-1896. url p. 208.
- The royal natural history. With pref. by P. L. Sclater. Illustrated with 72 col. plates and 1600 engravings. London, F. Warne, 1893-96. url p. 208.
- The sequence of plumages and moults of the passerine birds of New York / Jonathan Dwight. New York: New York Academy of Sciences, 1900. url p. 43.
- The student's handbook of stratigraphical geology. London, E. Stanford, 1912. url p. 602, p. 647.
- The titanotheres of ancient Wyoming, Dakota, and Nebraska / by Henry Fairfield Osborn. Washington [D.C.]: Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey, 1929. url p. 131.
- The wild beasts of the world / by Frank Finn; illustrated with 100 reproductions in full colours from drawings by Louis Sargent, Cuthbert E. Swan, and Winifred Austin. London: T. C. & E. C. Jack, [1909?] url p. 64.
- The wild beasts of the world / illustrated by Louis Sargent and others. London, Jack, 1909. url .
- The wild beasts of the world; Edinburgh, T. C. & E. C. Jack,  url , .
- The zoology of the voyage of H.M.S. Herald under the command of Captain Henry Kellet, R.N., C.B., during the years 1845-51 / London: L. Reeve, 1854. url , .
- Tracking wildlife by satellite: current systems and performance / by Richard B. Harris. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, 1990. url p. 1, p. 2.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url p. 240.
- Transactions of the American Entomological Society Philadelphia: The Society, 1890- url p. 103.
- Transactions of the Canadian Institute. Toronto: Canadian Institute. url p. 364.
- Transactions of the Illinois State Academy of Science. Springfield, Ill., Illinois State Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 143.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London. London: [The Society], 1879- url p. 429, p. 495.
- VII, plate
- Wild animals of North America, intimate studies of big and little creatures of the mammal kingdom. 1918 Washington, D.C., The National geographical society[c1918] url p. 464.
- Wild life of the world: a descriptive survey of the geographical distribution of animals / 2 London; F. Warne and co., 1916. url p. 316, p. 435, p. 443.
- Wild oxen, sheep & goats of all lands, living and extinct, by R. Lydekker. London, R. Ward, 1898. url p. 142.
- Zoological classification; a handy book of reference with tables of the subkingdoms, classes, orders, etc., of the animal kingdom, their characters and lists of the families and principal genera. London, J. Van Voorst, 1880. url p. 251.
- Zoology for high schools and colleges / New York: H. Holt and Company, 1895. url , .
- Zoology. N. Y., Holt[c1897] url .
- Zoology. New YorkHolt1892 url p. 290.
- Zoology: an elementary text-book. Cambridge: Univ. Press, 1920. url , , .
- Zoology: for students and general readers / New York: Henry Holt, 1879. url .
- Zoölogical science, or, Nature in living forms adapted to elucidate the chart of the animal kingdom / by A.M. Redfield, and designed for the higher seminaries, common schools, libraries, and the family circle New York: E.B. & E.C. Kellogg, 1858 url p. 222, p. 222.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Gunn, A. & Forchhammer, M. 2008. Ovibos moschatus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 03February2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 26, 2007:
- Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History, Vertebrate specimens
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Michigan State University Museum, Vertebrate specimens
- Royal Ontario Museum, Mammal specimens
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Mammals
- University of Alaska Museum of the North, University of Alaska Museum Mammal Collection
- University of Alaska Museum of the North, University of New Mexico Museum of Southwestern Biology Mammal Collection
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Mammal specimens
- University of Washington Burke Museum, Mammal Specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 106217
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-180708
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13813691
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 180708
- IUCN ID: 229146
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: AMALE03010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 16675
- Mean = 414.910 meters (1,361.253 feet), Standard Deviation = 536.490 based on 44 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- Gunn, A. & Forchhammer, M. 2008. Ovibos moschatus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 03 February 2012. ... [back]