Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Ashy Storm Petrel, Ashy Storm-Petrel, oceanodroma homochroa, Ashy petrel, Coues' petrel
Common Names in French:
Oc, OcÃ©anite cendrÃ©, Océanite cendré
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Informal Latinized N:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Spanish:
Pa, PaÃÃ±o cenizo, Paíño cenizo
Vegetation: freshwater marshes, pelagic waters • Foraging Strata: Water • Center of Abundance: Lower tropical: lowlands, lower than 500 m.; tropics. • Sensitivity to Disturbance: High
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 3,422 meters (0 to 11,227 feet).
in rock crevices and burrows in colonies on offshore islands.
The breeding season
is protracted, and eggs
are laid asynchronously,
with some pairs laying
eggs while other pairs are in the midst of
chick-rearing. At Southeast Farallon Island, Ashy Storm-petrels visit
year-round, and most breeding activity is concentrated
in February through October7. At Santa Cruz Island,
Ashy Storm-petrel nesting activity spans March through December6,8.
crustaceans and small fish and visit
the colony at night. Foraging
during the breeding season occurs mainly
over continental shelves (92 - 98%), with aggregations coinciding
spatially and seasonally with the spawning aggregations of sardines
List of Habitats :
- 6 Rocky areas (eg. inland cliffs , mountain peaks)
- 9 Marine Neritic
- 9.1 Marine Neritic - Pelagic
- 9.2 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Rock and Rocky Reefs
- 9.3 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Loose Rock/pebble/gravel
- 9.4 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy
- 9.5 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy-Mud
- 9.7 Marine Neritic - Macroalgal/Kelp
- 9.9 Marine Neritic - Seagrass (Submerged)
- 10 Marine Oceanic
- 10.1 Marine Oceanic - Epipelagic (0-200m)
- 10.2 Marine Oceanic - Mesopelagic (200-1000m) [more info]
- Aquatic Invertebrates
- Breeding Habitat : N/A
- Nest Location: N/A
- Nest Type: N/A
- Clutch Size: 1
- Length of Incubation : 44? days
- Days to Fledge : ?
- Number of Broods: 1
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gadow, 1893
- Series: http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/title/58052" ta ()
- Order: Procellariiformes ()
- Subclass: Neornithes () - Gadow, 1893
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - Auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
oceanodroma homochroa • Oceanodroma homochroa (Coues, 1864)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 13-Jun-2007
Most likely to be confused with other storm petrels. Black is larger with deeper wingbeats. Least is smaller with more rapid wingbeats and a wedge-shaped tail. Other species have white rumps.
Members of the genus Oceanodroma
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 24 species and subspecies in this genus:
(Band-Rumped Storm Petrel) · O. castro castro (Band-Rumped Storm Petrel) · (Fork-Tailed Storm-Petrel) · (Fork-Tailed Storm-Petrel) · (Fork-Tailed Storm-Petrel) · (Oceanodroma Homochroa) · (Hornby's Storm Petrel) · (Leach's Storm-Petrel) · O. leucorhoa beali (Leach's Storm-Petrel) · (Leach's Storm-Petrel (Chapman's)) · (Leach's Storm-Petrel (Ainley's)) · (Leach's Storm-Petrel (Leach's)) · (Leach's Storm-Petrel (Townsend's)) · O. leucorhoa willetti (Leach's Storm-Petrel) · (Guadalupe Storm-Petrel) · (Markham's Storm-Petrel) · (Matsudaira's Storm-Petrel) · (Black Storm-Petrel) · (Least Storm-Petrel) · (Swinhoe's Storm-Petrel) · (Monteiro's Storm-Petrel) · (Wedge-Rumped Storm-Petrel) · (Galapagos Storm Petrel) · (Tristram's Storm-Petrel)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott Company, 1896. url .
- A systematic list of the birds of California / by Joseph Grinnell. Hollywood: Cooper Ornithological Club, 1912. url p. 7.
- Birds of California: an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies / Chicago: A.C. McClurg, 1912, c1903. url .
- Birds of California; an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies, Chicago, A.C. McClurg, 1916. url , .
- Birds of Oregon, by Ira N. Gabrielson. .. and Stanley G. Jewett. .. Corvallis, Or., Pub. by Oregon State College through the O.S.C. Cooperative Association[c1940] url , p. 601.
- Birds of the Pacific coast, including a brief account of the distribution and habitat of one hundred and eighteen birds that are more or less common to the Pacific coast states and British Columbia, many of which are found east by Willard Ayres Eliot; with fifty-six color plates, by R. Bruce Horsfall. 1923 New York, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1923. url p. 174.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 15.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 204.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences. Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1902-1971. url p. 5.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 119.
- Catalog of California seabird colonies / by Arthur L. Sowls. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: Coastal Ecosystems Project, Office of Biological Services, Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior: 1980. url p. 24, p. 343, p. iii.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 103.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 355.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 15.
- Check-list of North American birds, prepared by a committee of the American Ornithologists' Union. New York, American Ornithologists' Union, 1910. url p. 57, p. 57.
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 23.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 29, p. 799.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 117, p. 74.
- Color key to North American birds, with bibliographical appendix, by Frank M. Chapman. .. with upwards of 800 drawings, by Chester A. Reed, B.S. New York, D. Appleton & Company, 1912. url p. 65.
- Draft environmental impact statement prepared on the proposed Point Reyes/Farallon Islands Marine Sanctuary / Washington: The Office, 1980. url p. 37.
- Effects of man's activities on the marine environment: prepared at the request of Hon. Warren G. Magnuson, chairman, Committee on Commerce, and Hon. Ernest F. Hollings, chairman, National Ocean Policy Study, for the use of the Committee on Commerce and th [prepared by James E. Miekle]. Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1975. url p. 6.
- Eggs of North American birds; by Chas. J. Maynard. Illustrated with ten hand-colored plates. Boston, De Wolfe, Fiske & co., 1890. url p. 16.
- Field book of birds of the southwestern United States, by sqther E. Wyman. .. and Elizabeth F. Burnell. .. Boston, Houghton Mifflin Company, 1925. url p. 256, p. 30.
- Guide to taxidermy, by Chas. K. Reed and Chester A. Reed. Illustrated by drawings and photographs of mounted specimens by the authors and Mr. N. F. Stone. Worcester, Mass., C.K. Reed, 1914. url p. 241.
- Handbook of birds of the western United States: including the Great Plains, Great Basin, Pacific Slope, and lower Rio Grande Valley / by Florence Merriam Bailey. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1915, c1902. url p. 38, p. 495.
- Life histories of North American petrels and pelicans and their allies: order Tubinares and order Steganopodes / Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1922. url , .
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 245, p. 28.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 751, p. 751.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds: with a chapter on ornithological and oölogical collecting (the preparation of skins, nests and eggs for the cabinet). Toronto: Musson url p. 57.
- North American birds eggs, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1904. url .
- North American birds eggs. New York: Dover Pub, . url p. 54.
- Occasional papers - San Diego Society of Natural History. 1959 San Diego, The Society. url p. 5.
- Oceanic birds of South America: a study of species of the related coasts and seas, including the American quadrant of Antarctica, based upon the Brewster-Sanford collection in the American Museum of Natural History / by Robert Cushman Murphy; illustrated from paintings by Francis L. Jaques; photographs, maps, and other drawings. New York: Macmillan Co.: c1936. url p. 728.
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 485.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 109, p. 109, p. 124, p. 124, p. 16, p. 16, p. 19, p. 19, p. 28, p. 34, p. 34, p. 64, p. 7.
- Pesticides monitoring journal. [Washington, D.C.: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1967-1981. url p. 68.
- Postilla. 1968 New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url p. 10.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 15, p. 16, p. 171, p. 20, p. 63, p. 67.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 15, p. 16, p. 171, p. 20, p. 62, p. 63, p. 67.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 42.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 6.
- The American oologists' exchange price list of North American birds' eggs, 1922 / compiled by a committee of twenty-five prominent American oologists. Lacon, Ill.: R. Magoon Barnes, 1922. url p. 45.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 302, p. 436, p. 524.
- The Canadian bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred north American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Toronto: Musson Book Co., c1914. url p. 70.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 263.
- The Diversity of the Seas: a regional approach. WCMC Biodiversity Series 4 WCMC url p. 97.
- The Nidiologist. Alameda, Calif.: Henry Reed Taylor, [1893-1895] url p. 171.
- The Oo?logist for the student of birds, their nests and eggs. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886- url , p. 188, p. 60.
- The bird book, illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs, Worcester, Mass., C. K. Reed, 1914. url .
- The bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds; also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1915. url p. 70.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 105, p. 105, p. 105.
- The oist. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886-1941. url , p. 60.
- The standard catalogue of North American birds eggs. Albion, N.Y., F.H. Lattin, 1892. url p. 8.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 14 1966 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 160, p. 178, p. 320, p. 321.
- Voyage of the 'Albatross' to the Gulf of California in 1911. New York, 1916. url p. 6.
- Zoe:a biological journal. 3 1892 San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 137, p. 137, p. 162, p. 162.
- BirdLife International 2005. Oceanodroma homochroa. In: IUCN 2006. 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 20 October 2006.
- BirdLife International 2010. Oceanodroma homochroa. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 02February2012.
- Birdlife International 2007. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 18, 2008.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 03, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 9 providers.
- Hines, J. E., Gregory Gough, J. R. Sauer, et al. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- Ocean Biogeographic Information System. Accessed February 27, 2006. www.iobis.org
- Parker III, T.A., D.F. Stotz, and J.W. Fitzpatrick, "Ecological and Distributional Databases for Neotropical Birds," in Neotropical Birds: Ecology and Conservation, by D.F. Stotz, T.A. Parker III, J.W. Fitzpatrick, and D.K. Moskovits (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1996). ISBN 0-226-64676-9.
- Peterson, Alan P. Zoological Nomenclature Resource. Accessed June 19, 2009.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- Sauer, J. R., J. E. Hines, and J. Fallon. 2005. The North American Breeding Bird Survey, Results and Analysis 1966 - 2004. Version 2005.2. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
- Sauer, J. R., S. Schwartz, and B. Hoover. 1996. The Christmas Bird Count Home Page. Version 95.1. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 03, 2008:
- Avian Knowledge Network: eBird
- Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds (Aves)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: SEAMAP - marine mammals, birds and turtles
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology: Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History: Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- UCLA-Dickey Bird Collection (UCLA-Dickey): Bird specimens
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM: CNAV/Coleccion Nacional de Aves
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ): Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 9095
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-174634
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481187
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 174634
- IUCN ID: 227500
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNDC04030
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 177986