Common Names in English:
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795
- Cuvier, 1795
- Snails and Slugs
- Ponder & Lindberg, 1996
- Superorder: Neritaemorphi () - Koken, 1896
- Subclass: Orthogastropoda () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1996
- Class: Gastropoda () - Cuvier, 1795 - Snails and Slugs
- Phylum: Mollusca () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795 - Molluscs
- Superphylum: Eutrochozoa ()
- Infrakingdom: Lophotrochozoa ()
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 30-Dec-2004
Members of the genus Nerita
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 4 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A conchological manual / by G.B. Sowerby, Jun.; illustrated by upwards of six hundred and sixty figures. London: Henry G. Bohn. .. and Sowerby. .., 1842. url p. 304.
- A conchological manual. First Edition. / by G.B. Sowerby, Jun. London: G.B. Sowerby, 1839. url p. 126.
- A manual of conchology, according to the system laid down by Lamarck, with the late improvements by De Blainville exemplified and arranged for the use of students. By Thomas Wyatt. New York, Harper & brothers, 1838. url p. 123.
- A naturalist in the Bahamas, John I. Northrop, October 12, 1861-June 25, 1891; a memorial volume / edited with a biographical introd. New YorkColumbia University Press1910 url p. 102.
- A naturalist in the Bahamas: John I. Northrop, October 12 1861 - June 25, 1891; a memorial volume, ed., with a biographical introduction by Henry Fairfield Osborn. New York, The Columbia university press[c1910] url p. 102.
- A naturalist in the Bahamas: New York, Columbia University Press[c1910] url .
- American seashells. With illus. by Frederick M. Bayer. New York, Van Nostrand url , p. 128.
- An illustrated introduction to Lamarck's conchology: contained in his Histoire naturelle des animaux sans vertèbres: being a literal translation of the descriptions of the recent and fossil genera / by Edmund A. Crouch. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, & Green, 1827. url p. 31.
- An introduction to conchology; or, Elements of the natural history of molluscous animals / by George Johnston. London: J. Van Voorst, 1850. url p. 451.
- An up-to-date systematic list of 3200 seashells from Greenland to Texas: translation, explanation, and gender of their names. [Brooklyn?]1954. url .
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 464.
- Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York. New-York: 1824-1876. url p. 430.
- Annual report of the regents of the university of the state of New York on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History and the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 33.
- Bermuda: its history, geology, climate, products, agriculture, commerce, and government, from the earliest period to the present time; with hints to invalids. London, Smith, Elder and co., 1860. url , , .
- Bibliography of North American conchology previous to the year 1860: prepared for the Smithsonian Institution / by W. G. Binney. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1863-1864. url p. 21.
- Breviora. 1971 Cambridge, Mass.: Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, [1952- url p. 9.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 166.
- Bulletin from the laboratories of natural history of the State University of Iowa. Iowa City, Iowa: The University, 1888-. url .
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 88 1941 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url descr. of plate 1 , descr. of plate 5 , p. 357, p. 359, p. 361, p. 366, p. 371, p. 433.
- Bulletins of American paleontology. 42 1962 Ithaca, N.Y., Paleontological Research Institution [etc.] url p. 114, p. 115, p. 14, p. 157, p. 22, figure 20, page 27, p. 424, p. 473, p. 55, p. 613, p. 70, p. 79.
- Catalogue of North American shells / collected and for sale by Henry Hemphill. San Diego, Calif.: H. Hemphill, 1890. url p. 7.
- Catalogue of the Doane collection of shells, presented by Mrs. Rose Delano to the Marion natural history society. s.n., The Wareham press, 19--? url p. 42.
- Cincinnati quarterly journal of science. Cincinnati, S.A. Miller, 1874-1875. url p. 162.
- Conchologia iconica, or, Illustrations of the shells of molluscous animals / by Lovell Augustus Reeve. London: Reeve, Brothers, 1843-1878. url p. 117.
- Conchologia systematica, or Complete system of conchology: in which the Lepades and conchiferous Mollusca are described and classified according to their natural organization and habits. By Lovell Reeve. .. In two volumes. London, Longman, Brown, Green and Longmans;1841-1842. url p. 139.
- Conchyliologie systématique, et classification méthodique des coquilles. .. Par Denys de Montfort. .. Paris: F. Schoell, 1808-10. url p. 347.
- Contributions to the natural history of the Bermudas. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1884. url p. 31, p. 343.
- East coast marine shells: descriptions of shore mollusks together with many living below tide mark, from Maine to Texas inclusive, especially Florida, with more than one thousand drawings and photographs / by Maxwell Smith. Ann Arbor, Mich.: Edwards Brothers, 1951, [c1937] url p. 208, p. 82.
- East coast marine shells; descriptions of shore mollusks together with many living below tide mark, from Maine to Texas inclusive, especially Florida. Ann Arbor, Mich., Edwards Brothers, Inc.[c1937] url p. 208, p. 82.
- Elements of natural history, adapted to the present state of the science, containing the generic characters of nearly the whole animal kingdom, and the descriptions of the principal species. By John Stark. .. Edinburgh: W. Blackwood; [etc., etc.], 1828. url p. 503.
- Elements of natural history: embracing zoology, botany and geology for schools, colleges and families / by W.S.W. Ruschenberger. Philadelphia: Claxton, Remsen & Haffelfinger, 1871 [c1850] url p. 51.
- English cyclopaedia, a new dictionary of universal knowledge, conducted by Charles Knight. London, Bradbury, 1854-61. url .
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 89.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 182, p. 183.
- Figures of molluscous animals, selected from various authors. Etched for the use of students by Maria Emma Gray. .. London, Longman, Brown, Green and Longmans, 1859. url p. 147.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url p. 471.
- Guide to the invertebrates of the synoptic collection in the Museum of the Boston society of natural history. By J. M. Arms Sheldon. Boston, The Society, 1905. url p. 229, p. 229.
- Guide to the systematic distribution of Mollusca in the British museum. London, Printed by order of the trustees, 1857. url .
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 168.
- Journal of conchology. London: D. Bogue. url p. 165.
- Lessons on shells, as given to children between the ages of eight and ten, in a Pestalozzian school, at Cheam, Surrey. By the author of "Lessons on Objects." London, Seeley, Burnside, and Seeley, 1846. url .
- List of marine Mollusca comprising the Quaternary fossils and recent forms from American localities between Cape Hatteras and Cape Roque, including the Bermudas / by William Healey Dall. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1885. url p. 192, p. 193.
- Manual of conchology, structural and systematic: with illustrations of the species / by George W. Tryon, Jr. Philadelphia: Published by the Author, Academy of Natural Sciences, 1879-1898. url p. 291, p. 291, p. 292.
- Outlines of comparative anatomy and medical zoology / by Harrison Allen Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1874 url p. 39.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 202.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 691.
- Proceedings of the Davenport Academy of Natural Sciences. Davenport, Ia., Academy of Natural Sciences [etc.] url p. 240, p. 62.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 67.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 147, p. 530, p. 530, p. 539, p. 819, p. 846, p. 852, p. 860.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 410.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 681.
- Shells and sea life. Phoenix, AZ: Miranda Enterprises, url p. 200, p. 7.
- Shells of land and water; a familiar introduction to the study of the mollusks. Chicago, A.W. Mumford, 1903. url , p. 98.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 5 1864 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 21.
- Studies in natural history. Iowa City, Ia. url p. 26.
- Synopsis of an arrangement of invertebrate animals in the Free Public Museum of Liverpool. Liverpool, 1874. url p. 29.
- Texas conchologist. [Houston, Houston Conchology Society], 1964- url , , , p. 102, p. 104, p. 106, p. 18, p. 60, p. 8, p. 82, p. 83, p. 87, p. 88.
- The American journal of science. 2(2) 1846 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 40.
- The Bermuda Islands: a contribution to the physical history and zoology of the Somers archipelago. With an examination of the structure of coral reefs. Researches undertaken under the auspices of the Academy of natural sc Philadelphia, The author, 1889. url p. 174.
- The Bermuda islands: a contribution to the physical history and zoology of the Somers archipelago. With an examination of the structure of coral reefs. Researches undertaken under the auspices of the Academy of natural Philadelphia, The Author, 1889. url .
- The Linnæan system of conchology: describing the orders, genera, and species of shells arranged into divisions and families: with a view to facilitate the student's attainment of the science / by John Mawe. London: Printed for and sold by the author, and Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, 1823. url p. 173, p. 173.
- The Mollusca and Radiata: Arranged by the Baron Cuvier, with supplementary additions to each order by Edward Griffith. .. and Edward Pidgeon. London: Whittaker, 1834. url p. 280.
- The Nautilus. Melbourne, Fla., etc., American Malacologists, inc., etc. url , p. 102, p. 118, p. 124, p. 136, p. 137, p. 137, p. 149, p. 57, p. 57, p. 57, p. 6, p. 6, p. 61, p. 68, p. 68, p. 82.
- The West-Indian marine shells: with some remarks, a manuscript printed for circulation between collectors. Falster, Denmark: Printed by W. Laubs widow & Chr. Jørgensen, 1864. url p. 76.
- The animal kingdom arranged in conformity with its organization. London: Whittaker, 1827. url p. 280.
- The archaeological use and distribution of Mollusca in the Maya lowlands New Orleans, 1969. url p. 37, p. 57, p. 6, p. 66.
- The conchologist's first book, or, A system of testaceous malachology, arranged expressly for the use of schools: in which the animals, according to Cuvier, are given with the shells, and a great number of new species added: with colored illustrations of two hundred and fifteen shells, presenting a correct type Philadelphia: Barrington and Haswell, 1845. url p. 115.
- The conchologist's first book: a system of testaceous malacology, arranged expressly for the use of schools, in which the animals, according to Cuvier, are given with the shells, a great number of new Philadelphia, Pub. for the Author, by Haswell, Barrington, and Haswell, 1840. url p. 115.
- The conchologist's text-book, embracing the arrangements of Lamarck and Linnaeus, with a glossary of technical terms. .. London [etc.]A. Fullarton and Co., 1836. url p. 85.
- The conchologist's text-book: embracing the arrangements of Lamarck and Linnaeus with a glossary of technical terms, to which is added a brief account of the mollusca / by William MacGillivray. London: A. Fullarton; [1858?] url p. 98.
- The naturalist in Bermuda; a sketch of the geology, zoology, and botany of that remarkable group of islands; together with meteorological observations. London, Reeves & Turner, 1859. url .
- The zoologist's text-book, embracing the characters of the classes, orders, and genera, of almost the whole animal kingdom. .. By Captain Thomas Brown. .. Glasgow, A. Fullarton, & co.; [etc., etc.]1832. url p. 406.
- Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences. New Haven: Published by the Academy, 1866- url p. 182, p. 182, p. 183, p. 410, p. 410.
- Treatise on Malacology; or, the natural classification of shells and shell fish. By William Swainson. .. London: Printed for Longman, Orme, Brown, Green & Longmans [etc.], 1840. url p. 346, p. 346.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 07, 2007:
- Academy of Natural Sciences, Academy of Natural Sciences Malacology Database
- Academy of Natural Sciences, Academy of Natural Sciences OBIS Mollusc Database [Darwin Core]
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Instituto Nacional de Biodiversidad
- , Biodiversidad de Costa Rica