Diameter about equal to the height ; shell generally almost globose , consisting mostly of the body whorl (umbilicus either conspicuously open or covered by an obvious callus; height of some species attaining 10 cm).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795
- Cuvier, 1795
- Snails and Slugs
- Ponder & Lindberg, 1996
- Cox, 1960
- Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Suborder: Hypsogastropoda () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Order: Sorbeoconcha () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Superorder: Caenogastropoda () - Cox, 1960
- Subclass: Orthogastropoda () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1996
- Class: Gastropoda () - Cuvier, 1795 - Snails and Slugs
- Phylum: Mollusca () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795 - Molluscs
- Superphylum: Eutrochozoa ()
- Infrakingdom: Lophotrochozoa ()
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Members of the genus Natica
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 4 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A manual of the Mollusca: a treatise on recent and fossil shells / by Dr. S. P. Woodward; with an appendix of recent and fossil conchological discoveries to the present time, by Ralph Tate; illustrated by A. N. Waterhouse and Joseph Wilson Lowry. London: Virtue & Co., 1868. url p. 80.
- A manual of the Mollusca: being a treatise on recent and fossil shells. London: C. Lockwood and Co., 1880. url p. 80.
- American journal of conchology. Philadelphia, G.W. Tryon, jr., 1865-72. url p. 379.
- Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York. New-York: 1824-1876. url p. 425.
- Annual report of the regents of the university of the state of New York on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History and the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 24, p. 35.
- Bibliography of North American conchology previous to the year 1860: prepared for the Smithsonian Institution / by W. G. Binney. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1863-1864. url p. 203, p. 472.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 18 1889 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 26, p. 26, p. 292, p. 292, p. 293, p. 293.
- Bulletins of American paleontology. 70 1977 Ithaca, N.Y., Paleontological Research Institution [etc.] url p. 372, p. 438, p. 483.
- Catalogue of marine shells in Lorenzo G. Yates' collection, Santa Barbara, Cal. Santa Barbara, Cal., 1886. url p. 56.
- Catalogue of shells collected at Panama, with notes on their synonymy, station, and geographical distribution. By C.B. Adams. .. Read before the Lyceum of Natural History, May 10th, 1852. New York, R. Craighead, printer, 1852. url p. 201.
- Catalogue of the collection of Mazatlan shells in the British Museum, collected by Frederick Reigen / described by Philip P. Carpenter. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1857. url p. 448, p. 450, p. 536, p. 540.
- Check lists of the shells of North America Prepared for the Smithsonian institution, by Isaac Lea, P. P. Carpenter, Wm. Stimpson, W. G. Binney, and Temple Prime Washington, Smithsonian institution1860 url p. 10.
- Conchological miscellany. Boston, etc., 1834?-1883? url p. x.
- Duplicate shells collected by the United States Exploring Expedition, under Capt. C. Wilkes, U.S.N. Washington, D.C.: The Institution, 1865 url p. 3.
- East coast marine shells: descriptions of shore mollusks together with many living below tide mark, from Maine to Texas inclusive, especially Florida, with more than one thousand drawings and photographs / by Maxwell Smith. Ann Arbor, Mich.: Edwards Brothers, 1951, [c1937] url p. 91.
- East coast marine shells; descriptions of shore mollusks together with many living below tide mark, from Maine to Texas inclusive, especially Florida. Ann Arbor, Mich., Edwards Brothers, Inc.[c1937] url p. 220, p. 91.
- Journal of the proceedings of the Linnean Society. London: The Society, 1857-1864. url p. 174.
- List of papers contributions to natural history, etc. chiefly on the conchology of North America, by Robert E.C. Stearns. San Francisco, 1878. url .
- Manual of conchology, structural and systematic: with illustrations of the species / by George W. Tryon, Jr. Philadelphia: Published by the Author, Academy of Natural Sciences, 1879-1898. url p. 23, p. 40, p. 40, p. 40.
- Mollusks of Tonkin & Indo China / Dautzenberg & Fischer. Paris: s.n., 1905-1908 url p. 445.
- Notes on the pearl and chank fisheries and marine fauna of the Gulf of Manaar / by Edgar Thurston. Madras: Printed by the Supt., Govt. Press, 1890. url p. 85.
- Otia conchologica: descriptions of shells and mollusks from 1839 to 1862 / by Augustus A. Gould, M.D. Boston: Gould and Lincoln, 1862. url p. 50.
- Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston [etc.]Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 73.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 17 1894 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 195, p. 329, p. 340, p. 406.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 146, p. 357, p. 414, p. 414.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 434, p. 450.
- Reports on zoology for 1843, 1844 / Tr. from the German by George Busk, Alfred Tulk, esq., and Alexander H. Haliday, esq. London: Printed for the Ray society, 1847. url p. 434.
- Sketch of the forestry of West Africa with particular reference to its present principal commercial products. London, S. Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, 1887. url .
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 2 1862 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 10, p. 117, p. 193, p. 203, p. 24, p. 27, p. 305, p. 37, p. 472.
- Structural and systematic conchology: an introduction to the study of the Mollusca... By George W. Tryon, jr.... Philadelphia: The author, 1882-84. url p. 170.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 384, p. 385.
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, The Macmillan, Company, 1895-1909 url p. 372.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 9 1867 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 220.
- The Nautilus. Melbourne, Fla., etc., American Malacologists, inc., etc. url p. 55, p. 7, p. 7.
- The mollusks of western North America embracing the second report made to the British Association on this subject, with other papers, reprinted by permission, with a general index / by Philip P. Carpenter. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1872. url p. 110, p. 193.
- United States exploring expedition. During the year 1838, 1839, 1840, 1841, 1842. Under the command of Charles Wilkes, U.S.N... Philadelphia: Printed by C. Sherman, 1844-74. url .
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 07, 2007:
- Academy of Natural Sciences, Academy of Natural Sciences Malacology Database