Scars of the anterior and posterior adductor muscles decidedly unequal (the anterior scar is the smaller one, and may be scarcely noticeable); umbones generally, but not always, much nearer the anterior end than the middle , hinge plate without teeth and without a chondrophore ; usually attached to a hard substratum by a byssus of organic threads (includes some species that bore into rock or hard clay ).Mussels are members of the molluscan Class Bivalvia along with clams and scallops . Attaching to the substrate and each other with byssal threads , mussels often form dense beds that support rich epifaunal and infaunal invertebrate assemblages . Other groups commonly associating with mussels are porifera (sponges), cnidarians (including hydroids , corals , and anemones), annelids , crustaceans, bivalves , bryozoans , and echinoderms . Mussel larvae remain in the water column for several weeks. Mussels are suspension feeders , filtering plankton and other small particles from the water column. Mussels are preyed upon by sea stars, gastropods and crabs.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Subclass: Metabranchia ()
- Class: Bivalvia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Bivalves
- Phylum: Mollusca () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795 - Molluscs
- Superphylum: Eutrochozoa ()
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Members of the genus Mytilus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 6 species and subspecies in this genus:
M. californianus (California Mussel) · (California Mussel) · M. edulis edulis (Blue Mussel) · M. galloprovincialis galloprovincialis (Mediterranean Mussel) · M. rodriguezi (Threadfin Longfin) · M. trossulus (Foolish Mussel)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences. Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1902-1971. url p. 104, p. 226.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 285.
- General embryological information service. Utrecht, Hubrecht Laboratory. url p. 21.
- How to collect shells, a symposium. Marinette, Wis.]1961. url p. 8.
- Kinships of animals and man; a textbook of animal biology. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1955. url p. 434.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 1 1931 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 245.
- Molluscan fauna from San Francisco bay, by E.L. Packard. Berkeley: University of California press, 1918. url p. 220, p. 231, p. 240.
- Occasional papers of Bernice P. Bishop Museum. Honolulu, Bishop Museum Press, 1898-1984. url p. 180, p. 180, p. 189, p. 199, p. 199, p. 384.
- Paleontology of the Coalinga district, Fesno and Kings counties, California. WashingtonGovt. Print. Off.1909 url p. 74.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 375.
- The Nautilus. Melbourne, Fla., etc., American Malacologists, inc., etc. url p. 26, p. 26.
- The sea-beach at ebb-tide: a guide to the study of the seaweeds and the lower animal life found between tidemarks / by Augusta Foote Arnold. New York: The Century Co., 1901. url p. 405, p. 428, p. 485.
- The sea-beach at ebb-tide; a guide to the study of the seaweeds and the lower animal life found between tidemarks. By Augusta Foote Arnold, with more than 600 illustrations. New York, The Century Co., 1901. url p. 485.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 169.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 220, p. 240, p. 241, p. 308.
- Zoe:a biological journal. 2 1891 San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 136.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 11, 2007:
- Academy of Natural Sciences, Academy of Natural Sciences Malacology Database