Common Names in English:
Biome: Marine .
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Huxley, 1880
- Class: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Superclass: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Members of the genus Monacanthus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 24 species and subspecies in this genus:
M. alternans (Yelloweye Filefish) · M. aspricaudus (Orangetail Leatherjacket) · M. auratus (Porky) · M. chinensis (Fan-Bellied Leather Jacket) · M. ciliatus (Fringed Fiiefish) · M. cirrhifer (Thread-Sail Filefish) · M. convexirostris (Smooth Leatherjacket) · M. davidsonii (Yelloweye Leatherjacket) · M. fatensis (Threadfin Leatherjacket) · M. fronticinctus (Specktacled Filefish) · M. gunnii (Gunn's Leatherjacket) · M. hispidus (Planehead Filefish) · M. janthinosoma (Ear-Spot Filefish) · M. macrocerus (American Whitespotted Filefish) · M. macrurus (Strap-Weed File-Fish) · M. melanoproctes (Blackvent Filefish) · M. mosaicus (Deep-Bodied Leatherjacket) · M. nematophorus (Cinhalese Leatherjacket) · M. peroni (Pot-Bellied Leatherjacket) · M. pullus (Orange-Spotted Filefish) · M. radiatus (Flower-Coral Filefish) · M. spilosoma (Fantail Filefish) · M. tessellatus (Tessellated Leatherjacket) · M. tuckeri (Slender Fiiefish)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... Catalogue of the fishes of New York. By Tarleton H. Bean. .. Albany, University of the state of New York, 1903. url p. 611.
- ... The fishes of the Stanford expedition to Brazil, by Edwin Chapin Starks. .. with fifteen plates. .. Stanford, University, Cal., The University, 1913. url p. 63.
- A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity / By Francis B. Sumner, Raymond C. Osburn, and Leon J. Cole. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1913 url p. 163, p. 167, p. 761, p. 762, p. 850.
- A catalogue of the fishes known to inhabit the waters of North America, north of the Tropic of Cancer, with notes on the species discovered in 1883 and 1884, by David Starr Jordan. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1885. url p. 140.
- A catalogue of the fishes of Bermuda, with notes on a collection made in 1905 for the Field Museum, by Tarleton H. Bean. 7 1906 Chicago, 1906. url figure 11 , p. 78.
- A checklist of Canadian Atlantic fishes with keys for identification / Toronto, Royal Ontario Museum, 1965 url p. 18, p. 86.
- A guide book to the marine fishes of Rhode Island. Photos by the author. Watch Hill, R. I., Book and Tackle Shop url p. 102, p. 78.
- A manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern United States, including the district north and east of the Ozark mountains, south of the Laurentian hills, north of the southern boundary of Virgini by David Starr Jordan. Chicago: A.C. McClurg, 1910. url p. 169.
- A plan for an educational exhibit of fishes. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1910. url p. 1337.
- A provisional list of the fishes of Jamaica, compiled by T. D. A. Cockerell. Kingston, Jamaica, Gov't print off., 1892. url p. 15.
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York. [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932]. url p. 102, p. 117, p. 154, p. 31.
- Allan Hancock Pacific expeditions. [Reports] Los Angeles, University of Southern California Press. url p. 439.
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url .
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 611.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 256, p. 256.
- Annual report of the Commissioners of Fisheries, Game and Forests of the State of New York. Albany, N.Y.: The Commission, 1896-1900 url p. 244.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 358, p. 460.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: New York Zoological Society, 1897- url p. 119, p. 127, p. 130.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 107, p. 694.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 611, p. 612, p. 744.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url .
- Bulletin from the laboratories of natural history of the State University of Iowa. Iowa City, Iowa: The University, 1888-. url .
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 369, p. x.
- Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905-1950. url p. 1337, p. 163, p. 167, p. 249, p. 256, p. 294, p. 295, p. 333, p. 334, p. 335, p. 4.
- Bulletin of the United States Fish Commission. Washington, The Commission, Govt. Print. Off. url p. 79.
- Check list of the fishes of the Dominion of Canada and Newfoundland. Ottawa, Printed by C. H. Parmelee, 1913. url , .
- Contributions. Providence, R. I. url p. 172, p. 175.
- Copeia. [New York, N.Y., etc.]: American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists. url p. 22, p. 39.
- Dean bibliography of fishes. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1971-1973. url p. 184, p. 303, p. 598, p. 84.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 125, p. 43.
- Fauna of New England, 8. List of the pisces, by William C. Kendall. Boston, Printed for the [Boston] Society [of Natural History] from the G. Saltonstall Fund, 1908. url p. 114.
- Final report of the state geologist. Trenton, N.J.: The Survey, 1888- url p. 766.
- Final report. v. 1-8. Trenton, 1888-1917. url p. 766.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url , , p. 108, p. 271, p. 296, p. 297, p. 348, p. 393, p. 399, p. 435, p. 438, p. 697, p. 797, p. 839, p. 914.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url , p. 337, p. 340, p. 522.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 171.
- Fishes of the Gulf of Maine, by Henry B. Bigelow and William C. Schroeder. Washington, United States Government Printing Office, 1953. url , p. 320, p. 334, p. 522.
- Fishes of the Gulf of Maine. By Henry B. Bigelow. .. and William W. Welsh. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1925. url p. 294, p. 4.
- Fishes of the vicinity of New York City / by John Treadwell Nichols, with an introduction by William K. Gregory. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1918. url p. 114.
- Food of northwest Atlantic fishes and two common species of squid / Ray E. Bowman. .. [et al.]. Woods Hole, Mass.: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service, Northeast Region, Northeast Fisheries Science Center, 2000] url p. 45.
- Guide to marine fishes; [a new method for identification of marine fishes. New York]New York University Press url p. 283, p. 406.
- Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society. Chapel Hill, N.C. [etc.]Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society [etc.] url p. 164, p. 164.
- Manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern U.S.. .. inclusive of the marine species. Chicago, McClurg, 1894, c1876-88. url .
- Monitoring the marine environment of Long Island Sound at Millstone Nuclear Power Station, Waterford, Connecticut: three operational studies, 1986-1987 / [prepared by the Environmental Laboratory staff of Northeast Utilities Service Company]. Waterford, Connecticut: Northeast Utilities,  url p. 297, p. 304.
- NOAA technical report NMFS SSRF. Seattle, Wash.: National Marine Fisheries Service; url p. 10, p. 12, p. 12, p. 32, p. 33, p. 35.
- Occasional papers of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, Boston Society of Natural History, 1869-1941. url p. 114.
- Ontogeny and systematics of fishes: based on an international symposium dedicated to the memory of Elbert Halvor Ahlstrom / sponsored by the National Marine Fisheries Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, United States Dept. of Commerce. [New York?]: American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists, c1984. url p. 688.
- Oxygen depletion and associated benthic mortalities in New York Bight, 1976 / editors, R. Lawrence Swanson, Carl J. Sindermann. Rockville, Md.: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration; 1979. url p. 300.
- Pamphlets on forestry. Fish and game. [1900?- url p. 1715, p. 3285.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 220, p. 31, p. 63, p. 672.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 139, p. 145, p. 152, p. 272, p. 30, p. 333, p. 35, p. 571, p. 605, p. 618, p. 656, p. 84.
- Publication. Field Columbian Museum. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1895-1909. url p. 78.
- Report of the Bureau of Fisheries / Department of Commerce and Labor. Washington: G.P.O., 1905. url p. 180, p. 184.
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url p. 1095, p. 176, p. 423, p. 423, p. 588, p. 588, p. 86, p. 928.
- Report of the United States Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year. .. with appendixes Washington: G.P.O., 1914- url p. 42, p. 494.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 22.
- Systematic catalogue of the fishes of Tortugas, Florids with observations on color, habits, and local distribution by William H. Longley. .. Edited and completed by Smauel F. Hildebrand. .. Washington, D.C.1941 url p. 294, p. 295, p. 75.
- The Journal of experimental zoology. [New York, etc.]Wiley-Liss [etc.] url p. 553.
- The anatomical record. [New York, etc.]A. R. Liss [etc.] url p. 405.
- The ecology of the caridean dominated shrimp community in seagrass beds off Cedar Key, Florida / by Carolyn Vann. 1980. url p. 11, p. 33, p. 34.
- The fishes found in the vicinity of Woods Hole. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1898. url p. 104, p. 87.
- The fishes of North Carolina / Raleigh, N.C.: E.M. Uzzell, 1907. url , .
- The fishes of North Carolina, by Hugh M. Smith. Raleigh, E. M. Uzzell & co., state printers and binders, 1907. url p. 341.
- The fishes of North and Middle America a descriptive catalogue of the species of fish-like vertebrates found in the waters of North America, north of the Isthmus of Panama / by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann. Washington: G.P.O., 1898. url .
- The giant fish of Florida, by J. Turner-Turner, with 48 illustrations. London, C. A. Pearson, limited;1902. url , p. 177.
- The giant fish of Florida. London, C. A. Pearson, 1902. url , , , p. 177.
- The marine fishes of Panama. by Seth E. Meek and Samuel F. Hildebrand; Wilfred H. Osgood, editor 15 1928 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1928 url p. 797, p. 798.
- Tulane studies in zoology and botany. 15 1969 New Orleans: Tulane University, [1968- url p. 136, p. 150, p. 8.
- Tulane studies in zoology. 12 1965 New Orleans: Tulane University, 1953-1968. url p. 43, p. 44, p. 45.
- Where, when, and how to catch fish on the east coast of Florida, by William H. Gregg, assisted by Capt. John Gardner. Buffalo: Matthews-Northrup, 1902. url p. 135.
- Zoological Society bulletin. [New York]: New York Zoological Society. url p. 272.
- [A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1913] url p. 163, p. 167.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.