Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Czech:
Pakaprovec Teckovan, Pakaprovec tečkovaný
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in English:
Common Names in Mandarin Chinese:
Common Names in Russian:
Pyatnistyi chukuchan, чукучан пятнистый
Species Minytrema melanops
and snout: Inferior, no teeth on jaws
. No barbels
patterning, color, and scales
: Spotted (but see breeding adults
Body usually light olive or tan with a dark squarish spot at the
anterior or each scale on the flank. Spots arranged in horizontal
. Spots fade away on whitish belly. Fins
, especially on
of dorsal fin, or white (especially paired fins
(usually 47-51) cycloid lateral line scales
; 0-38 of these pored.
and size: Body fusiform
Typically 300-450 mm (12-18 in) TL
; maximum about 500 mm (20 in).
Fins: Tail, dorsal and other fins: Forked tail. Single dorsal with no spines and 11-12 rays. Pelvic fins abdominal . Adipose fin absent. Anal fin with 7 rays.
Distinguishing characteristics: The spotted sucker is unique in having an absent or incomplete lateral line and a relatively thin lower lip. It can also be distinguished by its number of dorsal rays (11-12). See also similar species information.
Breeding adults: Males with tubercles on snout, head , and anal fin (photos). Some males reported to have two black lateral stripes separate by a pinkish stripe .
Juveniles : Similar to adults, but spots may be less distinct (photo).
Inhabits long deep pools of small to medium rivers over clay , sand or gravel . Occasionally found in creeks , large rivers and impoundments .
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Superclass: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Catostomus Melanops • Catostomus melanops Rafinesque • Catostomus melanops Rafinesque, 1820 • Ictiobus cyprinella (Valenciennes • Minytrema melanops • Sclerognathus cyprinella Valenciennes
Status: Accepted Name
First described: Rafinesque C.S . Annals of nature, or annual synopsis of new genera and species of animals, plants etc. discovered in North America. First annual number for 1820 Lexington. pp. 20, 1820.
Last scrutiny: Data last modified by FishBase 25-May-1994
Fish Name Dorsal Fin Lower Lip Body Pattern Lateral Line Scales Other Characteristics Similarity Index Black Redhorse 12-14 rays, margin concave or falcate, rarely straight Obtuse angle or straight margin, plicate Solid color 43-51, usually 44-47, all pored Pelvic rays 8-11 but almost always one or both with 10; caudal peduncle depth >59% of caudal peduncle length; tail slate-colored in life Moderately similar Blue Sucker 28-33 rays, anterior rays elongated Acute angle, papillose Solid color, darkly pigmented 53-58, all pored Darkly pigmented fins Moderately similar Golden Redhorse 10-15 rays, usually 13, margin concave or falcate, rarely straight Obtuse angle, plicate Solid color 37-45, usually 40-42, all pored Pelvic rays 9; caudal peduncle depth usually >63% of caudal peduncle length; tail slate-colored in life Moderately similar Greater Redhorse 11-15 rays, usually 13-14, margin slightly concave to slightly convex Obtuse angle, plicate Solid color or with faint spots at anterior base scales in some fish 41-45, usually 42-44, all pored Head rounded with a rounded snout, not overhanging lips ventrally; tail orange or red in life; scales around caudal peduncle 15-16 Moderately similar Longnose Sucker 9-11 rays, marging straight to slightly concave Acute angle, papillose Solid color or faint blotches, breeders with lateral stripe 91-115, usually >95, all pored Snout distinctly extends past upper lip Moderately similar Northern Hog Sucker 9-12 rays, usually 11-12, margin falcate Acute angle, papillose Dark mottling and large dark irregular blotches 46-54, usually 47-51, all pored Top of head with concavity between eyes; other species have this area flat or convex Moderately similar River Redhorse 13-15 rays, margin straight or slightly concave Obtuse angle or straight margin, plicate Solid color or with faint spots at anterior base scales in some fish 41-46, usually 42-44, all pored Head rounded and bulky with a blunt or slightly rounded snout, overhanging lips ventrally in adults; tail orange or red in life; scales around caudal peduncle 12-13 Moderately similar Shorthead Redhorse 11-15 rays, usually 12-14, margin falcate Straight margin, plicate with a few papillae Solid color or with faint spots at anterior base scales in some fish 39-46, usually 42-44, all pored Head tapered to a pointed or slightly blunt snout, not overhanging lips ventrally; tail orange or red in life; scales around caudal peduncle 12-13 Moderately similar Silver Redhorse 14-17 rays, usually 15, margin usually straight or slightly convex Acute or right angle, papillose Solid color 38-46, usually 41-42, all pored Tail slate-colored in life Moderately similar Spotted Sucker 11-12 rays, margin straight to falcate Obtuse angle, relatively thin, plicate Dark spots at anterior base of scales; lateral stripes in some breeders 42-46, 0-38 pored Spotes lined up in horizontal rows; limited to area above anal fin in small juveniles N/A White Sucker 10-13 rays, margin slightly concave to slightly convex Acute angle, papillose Solid color or faint blotches, breeders with lateral stripe 55-85, usually 60-70, all pored Snout barely extends past upper lip Moderately similar
Members of the genus Minytrema
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 1 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... Catalogue of the fishes of New York. By Tarleton H. Bean. .. Albany, University of the state of New York, 1903. url p. 108.
- ... The fishes of Illinois, [Danville, Ill.]Pub. by authority of the State Legislature url , .
- ... The fishes of Illinois, by Stephen Alfred Forbes. .. and Robert Earl Richardson, A.M. [Danville, Ill.]: Pub. by authority of the state Legislature,  url , p. 33, p. 83.
- A biological survey of the Erie-Niagara system. Supplemental to Eighteenth annual report, 1928. Albany, J. B. Lyon company, printers, 1929. url p. 169.
- A catalogue of the fishes known to inhabit the waters of North America, north of the Tropic of Cancer, with notes on the species discovered in 1883 and 1884, by David Starr Jordan. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1885. url p. 19.
- A checklist of the vertebrate animals of Kansas / George D. Potts, Joseph T. Collins. [Lawrence, Kan.]: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1991. url p. 27.
- A distributional atlas of Upper Mississippi River fishes / [by] Philip W. Smith, Alvin C. Lopinot [and] William L. Pflieger. Urbana: [s. n.]; 1971. url p. 17, p. 8.
- A list of common and scientific names of fishes from the United States and Canada. Report presented at the eighty-ninth annual meeting, Clearwater, Fla., Sept. 16-18, 1959. Ann Arbor, Mich., 1960. url p. 17.
- A list of the fishes of Pennsylvania / by Henry W. Fowler. Washington, D.C.: Biological Society of Washington, 1919 url p. 50.
- A manual of land and fresh water vertebrate animals of the United States (exclusive of birds) by Henry Sherring Pratt. .. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co., inc.[c1935] url p. 58.
- A manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern United States: including the district north and east of the Ozark mountains, south of the Laurentian hills, north of the southern boundary of Virginia, and east of the Missouri river, inclusive of marine species / Chicago:A. C. McClurg, 1916. url .
- A synoptic list of the fishes known to occur within fifty miles of Chicago, by S. E. Meeks and S. F. Hildebrand. Chicago, 1910. url p. 252.
- American fishes; a popular treatise upon the game and food fishes of North America, with especial reference to habits and methods of capture, Boston, L. C. Page[c1903]. url .
- American food and game fishes. A popular account of all the species found in America north of the equator, with keys for ready identification, life histories and methods of capture, . by David Starr Jordan...and Barton Warren Evermann...illustrated with colored plates and text drawings, and with photographs from life, by A. Radclyffe Dugmore. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & Co., 1908. url p. 560, p. 59.
- American food and game fishes: A popular account of all the species found in America north of the equator, with keys of ready identification, life histories and methods of capture New York: Doubleday, Page & co., 1902. url , p. 59.
- American food and game fishes: a popular account of all the species found in America, north of the equator, with keys for ready identification, life histories and methods of capture, by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann; with photos. from life by A. Radclyffe Dugmore. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1908, c1902. url p. 560, p. 59.
- An inventory of the fishes of Jordan Creek, Vermilion County, Illinois / R. Weldon Larimore, Quentin H. Pickering, Leonard Durham. Urbana, Ill.: Natural History Survey Division, 1952. url p. 8.
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York, New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 115, p. 439.
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 108, p. 109.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 12, p. 36.
- Biological series. TorontoUniversity Press [etc.]1898-1956. url p. 63.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 108, p. 109, p. 740.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. 1878 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 100, p. 138, p. 139, p. 140, p. 202, p. 404, p. 5, p. 54.
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url p. 218, p. 328, p. 363, p. 379, p. 388, p. 479, p. 498, p. 5, p. 505, p. 513, p. 544.
- Bulletin / University of Montana. Missoula: University of Montana, 1901-1910. url .
- Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905-1950. url p. 309, p. 337, p. 600.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass.: Essex Institute. url p. 55.
- Bulletin of the Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History. Bloomington, Ill.: The Laboratory, 1876-1918. url , , p. 437, p. 437, p. 513, p. 513, p. 516, p. 517, p. 517, p. 531, p. 531, p. 538, p. 538, p. 550, p. 550, p. 629, p. 629, p. 636, p. 636, p. 651.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 417.
- Bulletin of the scientific laboratories of Denison University. Granville, Ohio: [The University], 1885- url p. 53, p. 56, p. 62, p. 8.
- Check list of the fishes of the Dominion of Canada and Newfoundland. Ottawa, Printed by C. H. Parmelee, 1913. url , , .
- Check list of the vertebrates of Ontario and catalogue of specimens in the Biological Section of the Provincial Museum. by C.W. Nash. Toronto: L.K. Cameron, 1908. url p. 31.
- Commissioners' report. Toronto: Printed by Warwick & sons, 1892. url , p. 444, p. 444.
- Contributions to North American Ichthyology based primarily on the collections of the United States National Museum / by David S. Jordan and Alembert W. Brayton. Washington: G.P.O., 1878. url , , .
- Contributions to North American ichthyology. Based primarily on the collections of the United States National Museum. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1877-78. url p. 101, p. 138, p. 139, p. 140, p. 159, p. 202, p. 27, p. 5, p. 54, p. 80.
- Dean bibliography of fishes. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1971-1973. url p. 108, p. 278, p. 347, p. 411, p. 627, p. 655, p. 662.
- Descriptive catalogue of North American Hepaticae, north of Mexico. by Lucien M. Underwood, PH. D. Peoria, Ill., J. W. Franks & sons, 1884 url , p. 513, p. 516, p. 517, p. 531, p. 532, p. 538.
- Final environmental impact statement: proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award for Apalachicola Bay and lower Apalachicola River, Franklin County, Florida to State of Florida / Washington, D.C.: Office of Coastal Zone Management, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 1979. url .
- Final report of the state geologist. Trenton, N.J.: The Survey, 1888- url p. 675.
- Final report. v. 1-8. Trenton, 1888-1917. url p. 675.
- Fish and Wildlife Habitat Changes Resulting from Construction of a Nine-Foot Channel on Pools 24, 25, and 26 of the Mississippi River and the Lower Illinois River, Ft. BelvoirDefense Technical Information CenterAPR 1979. url p. 243, p. 443.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 22.
- Fishes and fishing; Saint Paul? Minn., c1907 url p. 100.
- Fishes in Kansas / Frank B. Cross, Joseph T. Collins; foreword by John E. Hayes, Jr. Lawrence, Kan.: University of Kansas Natural History Museum: c1995. url p. 131, p. 15, p. 273, p. 311, p. xv.
- Forest, lake and river; the fishes of New England and eastern Canada / by Frank M. Johnson. Boston: Printed for subscribers [by University press] Cambridge, 1902. url p. 227, p. 361.
- Index to volume I, numbers 1 to 17. 1 1900 Chicago: Field Columbian Museum, 1900. url p. 320.
- Investigations in fish control. Washington: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. url p. 10, p. 6.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 7 1987 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 212, p. 216.
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy, 1998- url p. 190, p. 57.
- Kankakee River fishes of the Braidwood station aquatic monitoring area, August 1988 / [Champaign], Ill.: Illinois Natural History Survey, Jan. 1989. url p. 22.
- Lake Maxinkuckee. A physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann...and Howard Walton Clark... [Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 337, p. 653.
- Lake Maxinkuckee: a physical and biological survey / by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. Indianapolis: Dept. of Conservation, 1920. url p. 337, p. 653.
- Manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern U.S.. .. inclusive of the marine species. Chicago, McClurg, 1894, c1876-88. url .
- Manual of the vertebrates of the northern United States, including the district east of the Mississippi River, and north of North Carolina and Tennessee, exclusive of marine species. Chicago, Jansen, McClurg, 1884. url p. 318.
- Maps showing distribution of Illinois fishes to accompany a report on the fishes of Illinois / by Stephen Alfred Forbes, and Robert Earl Richardson. Springfield, Ill.: State of Illinois; 1919. url p. 2.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1967 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 165, p. 181.
- Northern fishes: with special reference to the Upper Mississippi Valley / [by] Samuel Eddy and Thaddeus Surber. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press,  url , p. 133, p. 272.
- Occasional papers / Tulane University, Museum of Natural History. 1994 [Belle Chasse, La.]: The Museum, 1977- url p. 20, p. 25.
- Occasional papers of the Museum of Zoology, University of Michigan. Ann Arbor, Mich.: University of Michigan, 1913- url p. 6.
- On some collections of fishes made in the Kankakee and Illinois Rivers [by] O. P. Hay. 1 1896 Chicago, 1896 url p. 85.
- Ontogeny and systematics of fishes: based on an international symposium dedicated to the memory of Elbert Halvor Ahlstrom / sponsored by the National Marine Fisheries Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, United States Dept. of Commerce. [New York?]: American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists, c1984. url p. 743.
- Pamphlets on forestry. Fish and game. [1900?- url p. 187, p. 191, p. 3238.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url , p. 17, p. 18, p. 22, p. 243, p. 243, p. 410, p. 410, p. 56, p. 56, p. 881.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 220, p. 36, p. 37, p. 50, p. 58.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 221, p. 221.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 549, p. 691, p. 746.
- Publication. Field Columbian Museum. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1895-1909. url p. 252.
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url p. 241, p. 241, p. 364, p. 394, p. 424, p. 51, p. 714, p. 807.
- Report of the Department of Fisheries of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. [Harrisburg: The Dept.]: 1905-1918. url .
- Report of the Fish Commissioners of the State of Pennsylvania for the year. .. [Harrisburg, Pa.: The Board]: 1902-1903. url , .
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url , .
- Report of the United States Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year. .. with appendixes Washington: G.P.O., 1914- url p. 109.
- Report. Springfield, 1880- url p. 11, p. 12.
- Rock River area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, Natural History Survey Division, in conjunction with State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, IL: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1996- url p. 101, p. 137.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 23 1882 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 100, p. 139, p. 159, p. 5, Table of Contents.
- Some considerations on the distribution of fishes in Ontario. [Toronto]: Printed by the University of Toronto Press, 1944. url p. 5, p. 53.
- South Carolina. Resources and population. Institutions and industries. Pub. by the State Board of Agriculture of South Carolina. Charleston, S.C.Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1883. url p. 258, p. 258.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 36.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 126, p. 173, p. 176, p. 179, p. 180, p. 188, p. 5.
- Technical publication / New York State College of Forestry at Syracuse University. Syracuse, N.Y.: The College, 1914- url p. 164.
- The American midland naturalist. 1 1909-1910 Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame. url p. 175.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , p. 104, p. 105, p. 106, p. 109, p. 148, p. 152, p. 2, p. 2, p. 250, p. 257, p. 396, p. 399, p. 405, p. 455, p. 460, p. 461, p. 533, p. 537, p. 566, p. 568, p. 578, p. 6, p. 634, p. 636, p. 647, p. 670, p. 69, p. 732, p. 732, p. 746, p. 752, p. 784, p. 8.
- The Journal of comparative neurology and psychology. Granville, Ohio: Editorial Office, Denison University, url p. 393, p. 396, p. 412.
- The Nautilus. Melbourne, Fla., etc., American Malacologists, inc., etc. url p. 20, p. 23.
- The University of Colorado studies. Boulder, University of Colorado. url p. 164.
- The changing Illinois environment: critical trends: technical report of the Critical Trends Assessment Project. Springfield, Ill.: Ill. Dept. of Energy and Natural Resources, 1994. url p. 197.
- The fisheries and fishery industries of the United States. Prepared through the co-operation of the commissioner of fisheries and the superintendent of the tenth census by George Brown Goode. .. and a staff of associates. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1884-87. url p. 133, p. 136, p. 138, p. 139.
- The fishes of Champaign County, Illinois: during a century of alterations of a prairie ecosystem / Champaign, IL: Illinois Natural History Survey, 1996. url p. 118, p. 150, p. 65.
- The fishes of Illinois / Stephen Alfred Forbes and Robert Earl Richardson. [Springfield, Ill.]Published by authority of the State of Illinois, 1920. url , , p. 83.
- The fishes of Illinois / by Stephen Alfred Forbes and Robert Earl Richardson. [Springfield, Ill.: Illinois State Journal Co.], 1919-1920. url p. 83, p. v, p. xii.
- The fishes of North Carolina / Raleigh, N.C.: E.M. Uzzell, 1907. url , .
- The fishes of North Carolina, by Hugh M. Smith. Raleigh, E. M. Uzzell & co., state printers and binders, 1907. url , p. 75.
- The fishes of North and Middle America a descriptive catalogue of the species of fish-like vertebrates found in the waters of North America, north of the Isthmus of Panama / by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann. Washington: G.P.O., 1898. url .
- The fishes of Pennsylvania: with descriptions of the species and notes on their common names, distribution, habits, reproduction, rate of growth and mode of capture / by Tarleton H. Bean. Harrisburg, Pa.: E.K. Meyers, 1893. url , p. 145, p. 28.
- The food and game fishes of New York: notes on their common names, distribution, habits and mode of capture. By Tarleton H. Bean. Albany, J. B. Lyon company, printers, 1903. url p. 282.
- The nervous system of vertebrates, by J. B. Johnston. .. with one hundred and eighty illustrations. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co., 1906. url .
- The nervous system of vertebrates. London, Murray, 1907. url p. xvi.
- Transactions of the Illinois State Academy of Science. Springfield, Ill., Illinois State Academy of Science [etc.] url .
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science Topeka, Kan.: Geo. W. Martin. url p. 72.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 1, p. 10, p. 10, p. 108, p. 11, p. 11, p. 111, p. 112, p. 114, p. 128, p. 129, p. 136, p. 144, p. 149, p. 153, p. 155, p. 155, p. 158, p. 162, p. 167, p. 169, p. 171, p. 189, p. 200, p. 23, p. 24, p. 3, p. 4, p. 50, p. 52, p. 53, p. 54, p. 58, p. 63, p. 64, p. 66, p. 67, p. 69, p. 7, p. 71, p. 76, p. 78, p. 8, p. 8, p. 8, p. 88, p. 89.
- Tulane studies in zoology and botany. 24 1983 New Orleans: Tulane University, [1968- url , p. 132, p. 134, p. 149, p. 16, p. 60, p. 90.
- Tulane studies in zoology. 12 1965 New Orleans: Tulane University, 1953-1968. url p. 76.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 17 1966 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 166, p. 365, p. 385, p. 388, p. 389, p. 396, maps 103-104, page 514, p. 566, p. 648, p. 688.
- Vertebrates of Ontario, by C. W. Nash. Department of Education, Toronto. Printed by order of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario Toronto, L. K. Cameron, 1908 url p. 31.
- Vertebrates of Ontario. TorontoPrint. by order of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario by L.K. Cameron1908 url p. 31.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- FishBase. Release date: January 5, 2010
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 02, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 6 providers.
- Kullander, Sven O. (from FishBase).
- Lyons, John. WiscFish.org University of Wisconsin, Center for Limnology, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, University of Wisconsin Sea Grant. Provided photos, physical description, and table comparing similar species.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- Species At Risk Act Public Registry, Government of Canada
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 02, 2008:
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Fish Collection
- Cornell University Museum of Vertebrates: Fish Collection
- FishBase: FishBase DiGIR Provider - Philippine Server
- GBIF-Sweden: Fishes (NRM)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Canadian Museum of Nature - Fish Collection (OBIS Canada)
- Royal Ontario Museum: Fish specimens
- University of Kansas Biodiversity Research Center: Fish Collection
- University of Minnesota Bell Museum of Natural History: Fish specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 132049
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Fis-24124
- Fishbase Species ID: 2996
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13731130
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 163959
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: AFCJC09010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 15737