Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
American goosander, American merganser, American sheldrake, big sheldrake, break horn, buff-breasted merganser, buff-breasted sheldrake, Common Merganser, dun diver, fish duck, fishing duck, freshwater sheldrake, Goosander, greater merganser, morocco-head, pond sheldrake, sawbill, winter sheldrake
Common Names in French:
grand harle, Harle bièvre
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hebrew:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Russian:
Bolshoy Krokhal, Большой крохаль, Крохаль большой
Common Names in Spanish:
Mergo mayor, Serreta grande
Common Names in Swedish:
male: Greenish-black head
and upper neck · White breast,
flanks and belly · Black back and upperwing coverts with white
· White secondary coverts crossed with indistinct
· Alternate plumage worn from fall
summer · Male in basic eclipse plumage similar to adult female
Adult female: Red-brown head meets pale breast in crisp line of division · Well-defined white chin · White breast and belly · Pale gray body plumage
About 18 to 27 inches long, with a wingspan of 31 to 37 inches.
Usually seen in brackish marshes and freshwater ponds , rarely in salt water.
Vegetation: rivers • Minimum Elevation: 1,900 meters • Maximum Elevation: 1,900 meters • Foraging Strata: Water • Center of Abundance: Upper subtropical: higher slopes, 500-1,600 m.; subtropics. • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Medium
Typically found in a lake at a mean distance from sea level of 487 meters (1,597 feet).
Behaviour Northern breeding populations of this species are
fully migratory6 although breeders in temperate
regions are sedentary
or only travel short distances1, 5.
The species arrives on its breeding areas between March and May5,
actually breeding as early as late-March (although often considerably
later in more northerly regions)3. It breeds
solitary pairs or loose
groups1 of up to 8-10 individuals7
(especially on islands that provide suitable nesting sites in lacustrine
or coastal locations)4. The males gather to moult
after mating, often undertaking considerable moult migrations to
flock on key
waters3. Females also undergo a post-breeding
moult on the breeding grounds
during which they become flightless
for around 1 month4. The main migration to wintering
areas largely occurs from October through to December5,
mass departures being linked to the freezing of breeding and moulting
areas6. Outside of the breeding season
is typically found in small parties, with groups of up to 70 individuals
feeding together on shoals
of fish during the winter2.
Large flocks may also form on roosting waters3,
the largest gatherings occurring during the autumn migration and
winter months and numbering up to several thousands of individuals3
(1,000 to 10,000 on suitable waters)6. On passage
in the spring
flocks are usually small however, breeding pairs remaining
in flocks until they reach the breeding grounds6.
Habitat Breeding The species breeds on large clear
lakes1, 2, pools1,
the upper reaches
of rivers1, 2 and streams2
in the boreal, montane2 and temperate forest zones4.
It requires waters with a fairly high productivity
surrounded by mature
or natural cavities for nesting in2. Non-breeding
The species winters on large unfrozen lakes
waters and marshes1, 3, generally avoiding highly
saline waters3 although it may move to estuaries,
coastal lagoons and sheltered sea
coasts with waters less than 10
deep in particularly harsh
consists predominantly of fish1 less than
10 cm long2, but may also include aquatic
(such as molluscs
, crustaceans, worms, and adult
and larval insects),
, small mammals and birds1. Breeding
site The species nests in holes excavated by large woodpeckers
or natural cavities in mature hardwood trees1, 2
with entry holes more than 15 m above the ground2.
It shows a preference for cavities with openings c.12 cm wide and
internal diameters of c.25 cm4 in trees close to
or up to 1 km
away from water6. When natural tree-nesting
sites are not available4 the species will use artificial
nestboxes1, 2 or may nest
among tree roots in undercut
banks, on cliff
ledges2, in rock clefts7
or in dense scrub
or loose boulders on islands2.
Sometimes several females may nest in the same tree3,
especially on islands that provide suitable nesting sites in lacustrine
or coastal locations4. Management
Artificial nestboxes commonly used are 85-100 cm high with openings
50-60 cm from the base4.
List of Habitats :
- 1 Forest
- 1.1 Forest - Boreal
- 1.4 Forest - Temperate
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.1 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Rivers/Streams/Creeks (includes waterfalls )
- 5.5 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Lakes (over 8ha)
- 5.14 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Saline, Brackish or Alkaline Lakes
- 9 Marine Neritic
- 9.2 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Rock and Rocky Reefs
- 9.3 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Loose Rock/pebble/gravel
- 9.4 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy
- 9.5 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy-Mud
- 9.7 Marine Neritic - Macroalgal/Kelp
- 9.9 Marine Neritic - Seagrass (Submerged)
- 9.10 Marine Neritic - Estuaries [more info]
Mostly: Fish. Lesser Quantities of: Aquatic Invertebrates
- Breeding Habitat : Wetland-open water
- Nest Type : Cavity
- Clutch Size: 6-17
- Length of Incubation : 28-35 days
- Days to Fledge : 65-85
- Number of Broods: 1
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- Wagler, 1831
- Suborder: Anseres () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Wagler, 1831
- Order: Anseriformes () - Wagler, 1831
- Superorder: Galloanserimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 23-Jan-2007
Members of the genus Mergus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 11 species and subspecies in this genus:
M. albellus (Zwergsaeger) · M. australis (Auckland Island Merganser) · M. cucullatus (Hooded Merganser) · M. merganser (Buff-Breasted Sheldrake) · M. merganser americanus (Common Merganser) · M. octosetaceus (Brazilian Merganser) · M. serrator (Red-Breasted Goosander) · M. serrator linnaeus (Red-Breasted Merganser) · M. serrator schioleri (Red-Breasted Merganser) · M. serrator serrator (Red-Breasted Merganser) · M. squamatus (Scaly-Sided Merganser)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- , 274 p.port.22 cm. url p. 169.
- A Directory of Neotropical Wetlands. IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 676.
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url , , .
- A List of British birds / London: John Van Voorst, 1883. url , , .
- A List of birds' eggs in the collection of Mr. William Stoate, Wembdon, Bridgewater. [188-?] url p. 42.
- A book of birds. 1908 London, Sidney Appleton, 1908. url p. 142.
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 541.
- A check list of North American birds. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url p. 117.
- A checklist of the vertebrate animals of Kansas / George D. Potts, Joseph T. Collins. [Lawrence, Kan.]: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1991. url p. 8.
- A dictionary of birds, London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 543.
- A dictionary of birds, by Alfred Newton, assisted by Hans Gadow, with contributions from Richard Lydekker. .. Charles S. Roy. .. and Robert W. Shufeldt. .. London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 543, p. 543.
- A faunal investigation of Prince Edward County, Ontario / Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1941. url p. 41.
- A faunal investigation of the Sault Ste. Marie region, Ontario / [Toronto]: Royal Ontario Museum, 1942. url p. 124.
- A geographic classification of Neotropical mammals. 36 1958 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1958. url p. 634.
- A glossary of popular, local and old-fashioned names, of British birds; London: H. Sotheran & Co., 1902. url p. 13, p. 20, p. 56.
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 518.
- A hand-book to the birds of Great Britain / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London: E. Lloyd, 1896-1897. url p. 58.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 146.
- A hand-list of the birds of Japan, by M. Ogawa. [Tokyo]1908. url p. 350.
- A handbook of British birds, showing the distribution of the resident and migratory species in the British islands, with an index to the records of the rarer visitants, by J.E. Harting. .. London, J.C. Nimmo, 1901. url p. 262.
- A handbook of European birds for the use of field naturalists and collectors. By James Backhouse. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1890. url p. 212.
- A handbook of the vertebrate fauna of Yorkshire: being a catalogue of British mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fishes / by Wm. Eagle Clarke, and Wm. Denison Roebuck. London: Reeve, 1881. url p. 59, p. 59.
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. .. London, Pub. for the author by R.H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url , p. 624, p. 625.
- A history of birds / London: Methuen & Co.,  url .
- A history of birds, by W. P. Pycraft, with an introd. by Ray Lankester. London, Methuen and Co. url p. 404.
- A list of British birds / compiled by a committee of the British Ornithologists' Union. London: J. van Voorst, 1883. url , p. 136.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url , p. 187.
- A list of British birds. The genera arranged according to Sundevall's method. The nomenclature revised by Henry Thornton Wharton. London, J. Van Voorst, 1877. url p. 20.
- A list of European birds: including all species found in the western palaearctic region: the nomenclature carefully revised / by Henry E. Dresser. London: H.E. Dresser, 1881. url p. 29.
- A list of the birds of Hudson highlands: with annotations / by Edgar A. Mearns. [s.l.: s.n.], 1878-1881. url p. 106.
- A list of the birds of New Hampshire. By Glover M. Allen Manchester, N.H., Nature press, 1903. url p. 214, p. 29.
- A manual of North American birds. By Robert Ridgway. Illustrated by 464 outline drawings of the generic characters. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott Company, 1887. url p. 88.
- A manual of palæarctic birds, by H. E. Dresser. London, The author, 1902-03. url , p. 635.
- A natural history of the nests and eggs of British birds / by the Rev. F.O. Morris. London: John C. Nimmo, 1896. url .
- A naturalist in the Magdalen Islands: giving a description of the islands and a list of the birds taken there, with other ornithological notes / Boston: C.B. Cory, 1878 url .
- A pocket-book of British birds, by E.F.M. Elms. London: West, Newman & co. [etc.], 1906. url p. 92.
- A preliminary catalog of the birds of Missouri / St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis, 1907. url .
- A review of the birds of Connecticut / by C. Hart Merriam. New Haven, [Conn.]: Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor, Printers, 1877. url p. 142, p. 146.
- A revised list of Cincinnati birds. Cincinnati, Barclay, 1879. url , p. 20.
- A student's text-book of zoology / by Adam Sedgwick. London: S. Sonnenschein and co.; 1898-1909. url p. 439, p. 463.
- A student's text-book of zoology, by Adam Sedgwick. .. London, Macmillan Co., 1898-1909. url p. 439.
- A study of the incubation periods of birds; what determines their lengths, Denver, Col., The Kendrick-Bellamy Co., 1917. url .
- A survey and record of Woolwich and West Kent containing descriptions and records, brought up-to-date, of geology, botany, zoology, archaeology and industries of the district, with a brief photographic commentary, in commemoration of the 12th Ann General editors, C.H. Grinling, T.A. Ingram [and] B.C. Polkinghorne. Woolwich: Labour Representation Print. Co., 1909. url p. 251.
- A synoptic text-book of zoölogy, for colleges and schools / by Arthur Wisswald Weysse. New York: Macmillan, 1904, c1903. url .
- A tour in Sutherlandshire: with extracts from the field-books of a sportsman and naturalist / with an Appendix on the fauna of Sutherland by J.A. Harvie-Brown and T.E. Buckley. Edinburgh, Douglas, 1884. url p. 357.
- A vertebrate fauna of the Orkney Islands / by Thomas E. Buckley and J.A. Harvie-Brown. Edinburgh: D. Douglas, 1891. url p. 185.
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York City, for the official year. . [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932] url p. 31, p. 85.
- American game bird shooting. By John Mortimer Murphy. New York, Orange Judd, 1882. url p. 302.
- American game bird shooting. New York, Orange Judd Co., 1882. url .
- Among British birds in their nesting haunts: illustrated by the camera / by Oswin A. J. Lee. Edinburgh: David Douglas, [1896-9?] url p. 41, p. 43.
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url .
- An illustrated manual of British birds. By Howard Saunders. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1889. url p. 459.
- Anatomischer Anzeiger. Jena: G. Fischer, 1886- url p. 510.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 177.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 35.
- Appendices A-E: terrestrial resources injury assessment report: upper Clark Fork River NPL sites. Helena?, Mont.: Dept. of Justice?, 1995 url .
- Ardea. Amsterdam, etc., Nederlandse Ornithlogische Unie, etc. url p. 108, p. 177, p. 197, p. 41.
- Aves / 1891 London: Printed by Taylor and Francis, 1891. url p. 133.
- Beached marine birds and mammals of the North American West Coast: a manual for their census and identification / by David G. Ainley. .. [et al.] Pt. Reyes Bird Observatory; with drawings by Helen C. Strong; performed for National Coastal Ecosystems Team, Office of Biological Services, Fish and Wildlife Service [Washington, D.C.]: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O.,  url p. 132, p. 198.
- Biodiversity trends and threats in Europe: development and test of a species trend indicator RIVM, UNEP-WCMC url p. 47, p. 65.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 417, p. 458.
- Bird life in Labrador. n.p., 189-? url p. 79.
- Bird life in arctic Norway: a popular brochure / by Robert Collett; translated by Alfred Heneage Cocks. London: H.R. Porter, 1894. url , p. v.
- Bird-hunting through wild Europe / New York: D. Appleton, 1909. url .
- Birds / by A.H. Evans. London: Macmillan, 1899 (1909 printing). url p. 113, p. 614.
- Birds in Kansas / Max C. Thompson & Charles Ely. 1 Lawrence, Kan.: University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History: c1989- url p. 120, p. 400, p. xi.
- Birds in their haunts, by the late C. A. Johns. London, E. P. Dutton, 1909. url .
- Birds of Britain, London, A. and C. Black, 1907. url .
- Birds of Britain, by J. Lewis Bonhote. .. with 100 illustrations in colour selected by H.E. Dresser from his Birds of Europe.' London: A. and C. Black, 1907. url p. 264.
- Birds of Chautauqua county: an address delivered before the Chautauqua Society of History and Natural Science at its semi-annual meeting held in Jamestown, January 29, 1885 / by John M. Edson. Jamestown [N.Y.]: Geo. H. Tiffany, 1886. url p. 14.
- Birds of Massachusetts and other New England states / [Norwood, Ma.: Printed by Berwick and Smith Company], 1925-1929 url p. 177.
- Birds of New York, by Elon Howard Eaton. .. Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14. url p. 177.
- Birds of Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks / [United States]: Yellowstone Library and Museum Association in cooperation with National Park Service, U.S. Dept. of Interior, [19--] url , .
- Birds of the British Isles / drawn and described by John Duncan; with an introduction by Charles Dixon. London: W. Scott, 1898. url p. 266.
- Birds of the British Isles, drawn and described by John Duncan; with an introd. by Charles Dixon. London, W. Scott, 1898. url p. 266.
- Birds of the Colorado Valley: a repository of scientific and popular information concerning North American ornithology / by Elliott Coues. Washington: G.P.O., 1878. url p. 600.
- Birds of the Colorado valley. .. scientific and popular information concerning North American ornithology. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1878. url p. 600.
- Birds. By Eugene W. Oates. London: Taylor and Francis; [etc., etc.], 1889-98. url p. 469.
- Birds: the elements of ornithology. London, R. H. Porter url .
- Birds: the elements of ornithology; with 174 illustrations whereof 140 are original drawings / by St. George Mivart. London: R.H. Porter,  url p. 16.
- Britain's birds and their nests / described by A. Landsborough Thomson; with introduction by J. Arthur Thomson, illustrated by George Rankin. London: W. & R. Chambers, 1910. url p. 148.
- British birds & their eggs: with a new method of identification / by J. Maclair Boraston. London: W. & R. Chambers, 1909. url p. 293.
- British birds in their haunts / edited, revised and annotated, by J.A. Owen; illustrated with 64 coloured plates (256 figures) by William Foster; with a glossary of common and provincial names and of technical terms. London: G. Routledge url p. 201.
- British birds in their haunts, by the late Rev. C.A. Johns. .. ed., rev., and annotated, by J.A. Owen. .. Illustrated with 64 coloured plates (256 figures) by William Foster. .. With a glossary of common and provincial names and te London, E.P. Dutton & Co., 1909. url p. 201.
- British birds in their haunts. .. Edited, revised, and annotated by J.A. Owen. .. Illustrated with 64 coloured plates by William Foster. With a glossary of common and provincial names and of technical terms. London, Dutton url p. 201.
- British birds with their nests and eggs London, Brumby & Clarke[1896-98] url .
- British birds' eggs: a handbook of British oo?logy. London, Janson[1886?] url .
- British birds, London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1921. url , p. 255.
- British birds, by W. H. Hudson, C.M.Z.S. With a chapter on structure and classification by Frank E. Beddard, F.R.S. With 8 coloured plates from original drawings by A. Thorburn and 8 plates and 100 figures in black London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1921. url , p. 255.
- British birds, by W.H. Hudson, C.M.Z.S. With a chapter on structure and classification by Frank E. Beddard, F. R.S. With 8 coloured plates from original drawings by A. Thorburn and 8 plates and 100 figures in black London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1895. url , p. 255.
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 22, p. 223, p. 248, p. 339, p. 341, p. 367, p. 384, p. 40, p. 400, p. 45, p. 68, p. 87, p. 89.
- British birds: key list. London, R. H. Porter, 1892. url p. 41, p. 41.
- British nesting birds: a complete record of every species which nests in the British Isles / by W. Percival Westell. London: J.M. Dent, 1910. url p. 11.
- British sea birds. .. with eight illustrations by Charles Whymper. London, Bliss, Sands and Foster, 1896. url p. 221.
- British sea birds. With eight illustrations by Charles Whymper. London, Bliss, Sands and Foster, 1896. url p. 221.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1934 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 26, p. 3, p. 4, p. 5, p. 6.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 36.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 212, p. 408.
- Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club. London: The Club, 1893- url , p. 103, p. 175, p. 181, p. 181, p. 183, p. 271, p. 279, p. 284, p. 58.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1971- url p. 100.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 124, p. 207, p. 254, p. 287, p. 294, p. 317, p. 323, p. 335, p. 43, p. 92.
- Camallanata of animals and man and diseases caused by them = Kamallanaty zhivotnykh i cheloveka i vyzyvaemye ime zabolevaniya / V. M. Ivashkin, A. A. Sobolev, and L. A. Khromova; translated from Russian [by Hilary Hardin]. Jerusalem: Israel Program for Scientific Translations, 1977. url p. 259.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 406.
- Catalogue of birds, eggs and nests. Museum Greene Smith, Peterboro, N.Y., July 11, 1880. [s.l., s.n.], 1881 url p. 126.
- Catalogue of museum of natural history and miscellaneous antiquities, curios, &c., collected by Rev. Donald Miller. Bordighera, Italy, Manse Printing Press url p. 8.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 386, p. 43, p. 448, p. 843.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 386, p. 43, p. 448, p. 843.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 196.
- Catalogue of the birds of Suffolk, with an introduction and remarks on their distribution. London, J. Van Voorst, 1884-86. url p. 196.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 196.
- Catalogue of the specimens illustrating the osteology of vertebrated animals, recent and extinct, contained in the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. London, 1891. url p. 311.
- Catalogue of vertebrates found in New Jersey. [(A revision of Dr. Abbott's catalogue of 1868) prepared by Julius Nelson]. Trenton, N. J., John L. Murphy, 1890. url .
- Chamber's encyclopaedia, a dictionary of universal knowledge. London, Chambers, 1902. url p. 297.
- Check-list and bibliography on the occurrence of insects in birds' nests. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 108, p. 120, p. 123, p. 130, p. 131, p. 162, p. 163, p. 280, p. 298, p. 354, p. 55, p. 68.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 481.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 658, p. 96.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 95.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 499.
- Coloured figures of the eggs of British birds: with descriptive notices / by Henry Seebohm; edited (after the author's death) by R. Bowdler Sharpe. Sheffield: Pawson and Brailsford, 1896. url , p. 55.
- Complete wildfowler. New York, Outing pub. co., 1912. url p. 321.
- Conservation of marine birds of northern North America: papers from the international symposium held at the Seattle Hyatt House, Seattle, Washington, 13-15 May 1975 / edited by James C. Bartonek and David N. Nettleship; sponsored by Natural Resources Council of America. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, 1979. url p. 118, p. 268.
- Contributions to the natural history of the Bermudas. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1884. url p. 260.
- Contributions to the ornithology of Siberia / by Henry Seebohm. S.l.: s.n., 1880? url p. 75.
- Cruise of the revenue steamer Corwin in Alaska and the N. W. Arctic ocean in 1881. .. Notes and memoranda. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1883. url p. 102, p. 102.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 577, p. 621.
- Dean bibliography of fishes. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1971-1973. url p. 426.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 125, p. 141, p. 144, p. 145, p. 147, p. 151, p. 153, p. 154, p. 161, p. 162, p. 165, p. 214, p. 234, p. 236, p. 240, p. 490, p. 521, p. 580, p. 592, p. 594, p. 611, p. 630, p. 672, p. 676, p. 694, p. 771.
- Diseases and enemies of poultry / by Leonard Pearson and B.H. Warren. [Harrisburg, Pa.]: C.M. Busch, 1897. url p. 601.
- Diseases and enemies of poultry. Pearson & Warren. Harrisburg, C.M. Busch, state printer, 1897 url p. 601.
- Distribution and status of the harlequin duck, Histrionicus histionicus [sic] on the Gallatin National Forest, Montana / Darrell Markum for the Gallatin National Forest. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url , p. 16.
- Ecology and conservation of the marbled murrelet / [technical editors, C. John Ralph. .. et al.]. Albany, Calif.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station,  url p. 250, p. 256.
- Elementary text-book of zoology. By Dr. C. Claus, tr. and ed. by Adam Sedgwick with the assistance of F. G. Heathcote. London, W. S. Sonnenschein, 1884-85. url p. 246.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url , , , , , , , , , .
- Fauna of New England, 11: list of the aves / by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 29.
- Fauna of New England. List of the Araneida. Boston, For Society, 1908. url .
- Fauna of New England. by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 29.
- Fauna of the Aleutian Islands and Alaska Peninsula, by Olaus J. Murie. Invertebrates and fishes collected in the Aleutians, 1936-38, by Victor B. Scheffer. Washington, Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1959 url , p. 104.
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 166.
- Final report of the state geologist. Trenton, N.J.: The Survey, 1888- url p. 609.
- Final report. v. 1-8. Trenton, 1888-1917. url p. 609.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url p. 575.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url p. 531.
- Fishes of the western North Atlantic. Editorial board: editor-in-chief John Tee-Van [and others] New Haven, Sears Foundation for Marine Research, Yale Univ., 1948- url p. 483, p. 621.
- Fleas, flukes & cuckoos; a study of bird parasites, by Miriam Rothschild and Theresa Clay. New York, Macmillan, 1957. url p. 304.
- "Forest and Stream" bird notes. An index and summary of all the ornithological matter contained in "Forest and Stream." Vols. I-XII. New York, Forest and Stream Publishing Co., 1881. url .
- "Forest and stream" bird notes. An index and summary of all the ornithological matter contained in "Forest and Stream." Vols. I-XII. Compiled by H.B. Bailey. New York, Forest and Stream, 1881. url p. 134, p. 93.
- Game, shore, and water birds of India / Calcutta: Thacker, Spink; 1888 url p. 124.
- Genera insectorum / publiés par P. Wytsman. Bruxelles, L. Desmet-Verteneuil [etc.]1902-1970. url p. 45, p. 51, p. 71.
- Geographical distribution of British birds / by Henry Seebohm. London: R.H. Porter, 1893. url , p. 13, p. 26.
- Glacier garden, Lucerne. Lucerne: Bucher, 1913. url .
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1976 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 212.
- Guide to the birds of the Caucasus. Tiflis, 1907. url p. 129.
- Hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. London, Allen, 1894-97. url p. 58, p. 58.
- Handbook and guide to the British birds on exhibition in the Lord Derby Natural History Museum, Liverpool. Liverpool, C. Tinling, 1914. url p. 51.
- Handbook to the birds of the Bombay presidency, by Lieut. H. Edwin Barnes. .. Calcutta, The Calcutta Central Press, 1885. url , , p. 416, p. 416.
- Handbook to the natural history of Cambridgeshire, ed. by J.E. Marr. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. Cambridge, University press, 1904. url p. 95.
- Handlist of the birds of Egypt by M.J. Nicoll. Cairo, Government Press, 1919. url p. 77.
- Harmsworth's Universal encyclopedia, written by the leading authorities in every branch of knowledge and edited by J.A. Hammerton. London, Educational Bk. Co.[n.d.] url p. 3603.
- Heligoland as an ornithological observatory; the result of fifty years' experience, Edinburgh, D. Douglas, 1895. url p. 538, p. 540.
- Hill birds of Scotland, by Seton Gordon. .. illustrated. London, E. Arnold, 1915. url p. 169.
- History of the Berwickshire Naturalists' Club, instituted September 22, 1831 [Vol. 1 of proceedings, corr. and reprinted] Alnwick, H.H. Blair, 1885. url p. 261.
- How to attract and protect wild birds tr. by Emma S. Buchheim, with an introduction by Her Grace the Duchess of Bedford. London, Witherby, 1917. url p. 30.
- Humboldt; Monatsschrift für die gesamten Naturwissenschaften. Stuttgart, F. Enke, 1882-90. url p. 481.
- Ice-bound on Kolguev: a chapter in the exploration of Arctic Europe to which is added a record of the natural history of the island / by Aubyn Trevor-Battye; with numerous illustrations by J.T. Nettleship, Charles Whymper and the author. Westminster: A. Constable, 1895. url p. 429.
- Ice-bound on Kolguev; a chapter in the exploration of Arctic Europe, to which is added a record of the natural history of the island, Westminster, A. Constable and Company, 1895. url .
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 72.
- Illinois biological monographs. Urbana, Univ. of Illinois Press. url p. 226, p. 23, p. 34.
- Index-catalogue of the birds in the Hancock collection. [Newcastle-upon-Tyne]Printed for the Natural History Society, 1899. url p. 119.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 106, p. 76, p. 79, p. 95.
- Invitation to birds; a few of the common birds of Illinois, an invitation to know and enjoy them. Illus. by the author. Springfield, 1948. url p. 14.
- Jottings about birds / by Charles Dixon. London: Chapman and Hall, 1893. url p. 34.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and Lower California Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1896. url , p. 890.
- Late Pleistocene vertebrates from archaeological sites in the Plain of Kom Ombo, Upper Egypt / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum], 1972. url , p. 124, p. 158, p. 38, p. 39.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C. B. Moffat, with a pref. by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis, 1898. url p. 613.
- Life and sport on the north shore of the lower St. Lawrence and Gulf, containing chapters on salmon fishing, trapping, the folk-lore of the Montagnais Indians and tales of adventure on the fringe of the Labrador peninsula. By Napoleon A. Comeau. Quebec, Daily Telegraph Printing House, 1909. url p. 428.
- List of the birds of India. 78 p.24 cm. url p. 43, p. 67.
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London, Printed for the Society, 1896. url p. 452, p. 452.
- Lord Lilford on birds: being a collection of informal and unpublished writings by the late president of the British Ornithologists' Union. With contributed papers upon falconry and otter hunting, his favourite sports. Edited by Aubyn Trevor-Battye and illustrated by Archibald Thorburn. London, Hutchinson, 1903. url p. 308.
- Lost and vanishing birds; being a record of some remarkable extinct species and a plea for some threatened forms, by Charles Dixon. With ten plates by Charles Whymper. London, J. Macqueen, 1898. url p. 207.
- Manual of the birds of Iceland / by Henry H. Slater. Edinburgh: D. Douglas, 1901. url p. 75, p. 75.
- Manual of the vertebrates of the northern United States, including the district east of the Mississippi River, and north of North Carolina and Tennessee, exclusive of marine species. Chicago, Jansen, McClurg, 1884. url p. 145.
- Meddelelser om Grønland. København, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url p. 311, p. 408, p. 77, p. 9.
- Memories of the months. Fourth series, by the Right Hon. Sir Herbert Maxwell, bart. London: E. Arnold, 1907. url p. 310.
- Michigan bird life, a list of all the bird species known to occur in the state together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, wtih special reference to its relation t [Lansing]Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url .
- Michigan bird life: a list of all the bird species known to occur in the State together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, with special reference to its relation t by Walter Bradford Barrows. Lansing: Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url p. 73.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1960 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 1, p. 15, p. 15.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 244.
- Natural history of the animal kingdom for the use of young people: in three parts, comprising I. Mammalia: II. Birds: Part III. Reptiles, amphibia, fishes, insects, worms, molluscs, zoophytes, &c.: with 91 coloured plates, including about 850 figures, and numerous adapted from the German of Professor von Schubert by W.F. Kirby. 1889 Brighton: E. & J.B. Young and Co., 1889. url p. X, plate
- Nature Reserves of the Himalaya and the Mountains of Central Asia IUCN url p. 107, p. 111, p. 276, p. 457, p. 466, p. 67, p. 70, p. 94.
- Nether Lochaber: the natural history, legends, and folk-lore of the West Highland. Edinburgh, W. Paterson, 1883. url .
- New England bird life: being a manual of New England ornithology; rev. and ed. from the manuscript of Winfrid A. Stearns. .. by Dr. Elliott Coues. .. Boston, C.T. Dillingham, 1881-83. url p. 331, p. 331, p. 331.
- New England bird life; being a manual of New England ornithology: rev.and ed. from the manuscript of Winfrid A. Stearns / Boston, C. T. Dillingham, 1883-, c1881. url .
- New Haven Harbor ecological studies summary report, 1970-1977 / prepared for the United Illuminating Company, New Haven, Connecticut by Normandeau Associates, inc., Bedford, New Hampshire; edited by Andrew J. McCusker, Weldon S. Bosworth. Bedford, N.H.: Normandeau, 1979. url p. 35.
- Nomenclature of North American birds chiefly contained in the United States National Museum. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1881. url .
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url , , p. 103, p. 103, p. 104, p. 104, p. 28, p. 396, p. 396, p. 50.
- North American monostomes primarily from fresh water hosts; with nine plates and two tables, by E. C. Harrah. Urbana, Ill., c1922 url p. 8, p. 8.
- North American pseudophyllidean cestodes from fishes. [UrbanaUniversity of Illinois][c1919] url p. 23, p. 30, p. 34.
- Notes and sketches from the wild coasts of Nipon; with chapters on cruising after pirates in Chinese waters, Edinburgh, D. Douglas, 1880. url .
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 3 1905 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 237.
- Notes on the birds of Herefordshire, contributed by members of the Woolhope Club. Collected and arranged by the late Henry Graves Bull.
- Notes on the birds of Northamptonshire and neighbourhood / Lord Lilford; illustrated by A. Thorburn and G.E. Lodge. London: Porter, 1895. url p. 201.
- Notes on the birds of Rainham, including the district between Chatham and Sittingbourne. London, Curney & Jackson, 1894. url p. 76.
- Ornithological bibliography. [Washington: Geological Survey [etc.], 1878-1880. url p. 933, p. 934, p. 936, p. 942, p. 947, p. 948, p. 954, p. 955, p. 959, p. 960, p. 962, p. 964, p. 965, p. 966, p. 968.
- Ornithologist and oo?logist Pawtucket, R.I. url p. 190, p. 97.
- Our birds in their haunts a popular treatise on the birds of eastern North America / by J. Hibbert Langille. Boston: S.E. Cassino, 1884. url .
- Our birds in their haunts: a popular treatise on the birds of eastern North America / New York: Orange Judd, 1892, c1884. url .
- Our country's birds and how to know them. A guide to all the birds of Great Britain. London, Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent[1892?] url , , , .
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 508.
- Our migrant birds and how to know them / by E.F.M. Elms. London: Thornton Butterworth, 1922. url , p. 122, p. 122.
- Our northern and eastern birds. Containing descriptions of the birds of the northern and eastern states and British provinces; together with a history of their habits, times of arrival and departure, their distribution, food, song, New York, R. Worthington, 1883. url .
- Our northern and eastern birds: containing descriptions of the birds of the northern and eastern states and British provinces; together with a history of their habits, times of arrival and departure, their distribution, food, song, by Edward A. Samuels; with a supplement from Holder's "American fauna." New York: R. Worthington, 1883. url p. 527.
- Our rarer birds, being studies in ornithology & oology, by Charles Dixon. London, R. Bentley, 1888. url , p. 333.
- Our rarer birds: being studies in ornithology & oology / by Charles Dixon; with twenty illustrations by Charles Whymper and a frontispiece by J. G. Keulemans. London: Bentley, 1888. url p. 333.
- Oölogy of New England: a description of the eggs, nests, and breeding habits of the birds known to breed in New England, with colored illustrations of their eggs. 1886 Boston: A. Mudge & son, printers, 1886. url p. 100, p. 99.
- P.D. Skaar's Montana bird distribution / revised by the Montana Bird Distribution Committee. [Helena, MT]:Montana Natural Heritage Program, 1996 url p. 28.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 68.
- Pesticides monitoring journal. [Washington, D.C.: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1967-1981. url p. 90.
- Polychlorinated biphenyl hazards to fish, wildlife, and invertebrates: a synoptic review / by Ronald Eisler (Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service). Laurel, MD: The Service, 1986. url p. 19.
- Postilla. 1962 New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url fig. 2 , p. 7, p. 7.
- Potential wildlife-highway interactions at select mile-markers along Montana Department of Transportation routes an ArcView GIS analysis / Bozeman, Mont.: Fish and Wildlife Management Program, Montana State University, 2001 url .
- Pre-historic times, as illustrated by ancient remains and the manners and customs of modern savages, by Sir John Lubbock, bart. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1892. url p. 205.
- Principles of economic zoo?logy, London, W.B. Saunders, 1915. url .
- Principles of economic zoölogy, London, W. B. Saunders Company, 1917. url p. 264, p. 266.
- Principles of economic zoölogy, by L. S. Daugherty and M. C. Daugherty. Philadelphia, W. B. Saunders, 1917. url p. 266.
- Proceedings and transactions of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London: The Society. url p. 33.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 529, p. 530.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url index , p. 3, p. 611, p. 645.
- Proceedings of the International Ornithological Congress. [Canberra, etc.]Australian Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 578, p. 79, p. 941.
- Proceedings of the Manchester Institute of Arts and Sciences. Manchester, N.H.: The Institute, 1900-1911. url p. 214.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 205, p. 424, p. 44, p. 45, p. 5, p. 517, p. 61, p. 65, p. 653, p. 67, p. 68, p. 7, p. 88, p. 9.
- Proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award to the state of New York for a Hudson River estuarine sanctuary. Albany, N.Y.: New York, Dept. of Environmental Conservation,  url p. 121.
- Protected Landscapes: experience around the world. Prepared for the International Symposium on Protected Landscapes, Grange-over-Sands, England 5-10 October 1987 IUCN url p. 88.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 32, p. 49.
- Results of the 1990 survey for Harlequin ducks (Histrionicus histrionicus) on the Kootenai National Forest, Montana and parts of the Lolo National Forest, Montana / submitted by Lisa Fairman and Gene Miller; a report to USDA Forest Service, Kootenai National Forest. Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url p. 71.
- Rough notes and memoranda relating to the natural history of the Bermudas, London, R.H. Porter, 1897. url , .
- Sea-birds: an introduction to the natural history of the sea-birds of the North Atlantic / by James Fisher and R. M. Lockley. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin, 1954. url p. 295.
- Siberia in Europe: a visit to the valley of the Petchora, in north-east Russia; with descriptions of the natural history, migration of birds, etc. / by Henry Seebohm. London: J. Murray, 1880. url p. 150.
- Social feeding behavior of birds. 36 1954 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1954. url p. 33, p. 42, p. 7.
- Soft-rayed Bony fishes: class Osteichthyes, order Acipenseroidei, order Lepisostei, order Isospondyli, suborder Elopoidea, suborder Clupeoidea, suborder Salmonoidea / Henry B. Bigelow. .. [et al.]. New Haven, Conn.: Sears Foundation for Marine Research, Yale University, 1963. url p. 483, p. 621.
- Some Chinese vertebrates. .. With six plates. Cambridge, U.S.A., Printed for the Museum, 1912. url p. 152.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 35.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 148, p. 152, p. 157, p. 171, p. 174, p. 192, p. 202, p. 235, p. 250, p. 258, p. 259, p. 279, p. 307, p. 326, p. 327, p. 333, p. 334, p. 335, p. 337, p. 353, p. 360, p. 362, p. 364, p. 366, p. 367, p. 368, p. 369, p. 371, p. 393, p. 400, p. 411, p. 434, p. 452, p. 454, p. 47, p. 472, p. 480, p. 49, p. 490, p. 5, p. 501, p. 51, p. 517, p. 52, p. 53, p. 538, p. 54, p. 543, p. 547, p. 555, p. 559, p. 56, p. 561, p. 562, p. 57, p. 590, p. 61, p. 618, p. 62, p. 620, p. 643, p. 644, p. 657, p. 665, p. 668, p. 680, p. 681, p. 686, p. 7, p. 70, p. 73, p. 79, p. 80, p. 89, p. 96.
- Station bulletin. Durham, N.H.: Agricultural Experiment Station, University of New Hampshire, 1948- url p. 72, p. 73.
- Studies in bird migration, London, Gurney and Jackson; [etc., etc.]1912. url .
- Studies in bird migration, by William Eagle Clarke. .. with maps, weather charts, and other illustrations. .. London, Gurney and Jackson; [etc., etc.]1912. url p. 337, p. 63.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 10, p. 103, p. 21, p. 6.
- Terrestrial resources injury assessment report: upper Clark Fork River Basin / [S.l.: RCG/Hagler, Bailly, Inc.?, 1995 url .
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 141, p. 146, p. 151, p. 153, p. 157, p. 19, p. 199, p. 199, p. 200, p. 209, p. 209, p. 214, p. 228, p. 26, p. 53, p. 57, p. 72, p. 77, p. 83, p. 96.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 10, p. 327, p. 360, p. 372, p. 409.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 110.
- The British bird book: an account of all the birds, nests and eggs found in the British Isles / ed. by F.B. Kirkman. Illustrated by two hundred drawings and numerous photographs. London: T.C. & E.C. Jack, 1910-13. url p. 286, p. 295.
- The Cambridge natural history, London, Macmillan and Co., Limited;1895-1909 url , .
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited;1895-1909 url p. 113, p. 614, p. 614.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 46 1932 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url clemens & munro , coldwell , putman , p. 1, p. 101, p. 108, p. 111, p. 116, p. 117, p. 12, p. 127, p. 129, p. 132, p. 137, p. 138, p. 138, p. 143, p. 144, p. 150, p. 150, p. 161, p. 162, p. 163, p. 166, p. 175, p. 179, p. 180, p. 182, p. 187, p. 188, p. 189, p. 190, p. 193, p. 193, p. 193, p. 194, p. 198, p. 209, p. 213, p. 213, p. 218, p. 219, p. 222, p. 228, p. 238, p. 26, p. 262, p. 282, p. 293, p. 297, p. 3, p. 306, p. 316, p. 339, p. 350, p. 364, p. 366, p. 368, p. 378, p. 384, p. 39, p. 407, p. 440, p. 444, p. 45, p. 472, p. 481, p. 49, p. 490, p. 50, p. 502, p. 522, p. 526, p. 533, p. 55, p. 55, p. 576, p. 610, p. 634, p. 636, p. 677, p. 679, p. 696, p. 700, p. 71, p. 73, p. 742, p. 745, p. 752, p. 776, p. 86, p. 87, p. 87, p. 93.
- The Coues check list of North American birds [Elliott Coues]. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url .
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 111, p. 132, p. 145, p. 53.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 54 1994 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 274, p. 276, p. 281, p. 38, p. 478, p. 480, p. 520, p. 58, p. 595, p. 602, p. 68, p. 730.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url , .
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 207, p. 210, p. 214, p. 56, p. 97.
- The Journal of the Cincinnati Society of Natural History. Cincinnati: The Society, 1878/79 [i.e. 1878 or 1879]-1945. url p. 186, p. 63.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 3127.
- The New Forest: its history and its scenery / by John R. Wise; with 63 illustrations by Walter Crane; engraved by W.J. Linton. London: Gibbings, 1895. url p. 317.
- The Oo?logist for the student of birds, their nests and eggs. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886- url p. 21.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url p. 105, p. 133, p. 18, p. 200, p. 5.
- The Victoria history of Berkshire. edited by P.H. Ditchfield and William Page. [LondonConstable]1906-1923 url p. 158.
- The Victoria history of the County of Hertford / edited by William Page. London: Published for the University of London, Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall,  url .
- The Victoria history of the county of Kent; ed. by William Page. London, Constable, 1908- url p. 292.
- The Wilson bulletin. Columbus, Ohio: Wilson Ornithological Society, 1894- url p. 28.
- The aquatic birds of Great Britain and Ireland. London, R. H. Porter, 1906. url , p. 151, p. 151.
- The avifauna of British India and its dependencies: a systematic account, with descriptions of all the known species of birds inhabiting British India, observations on their habits, nidification, &c., tables of their geographical distribution in Persia by James A. Murray. London: Trübner, 1888-1890. url p. 706, p. 788, p. vii.
- The birds of Berwickshire; with remarks on their local distribution migration, and habits, and also on the folk-lore, proverbs, popular rhymes and sayings connected with them, by George Muirhead. .. Edinburgh, David Douglas, 1889-95. url p. 128, p. 381.
- The birds of Breconshire / by E. Cambridge Phillips. .. Brecon [Eng.]: E. Davies, 1899. url p. 124.
- The birds of Britain: their distribution and habits / Cambridge [England]: Cambridge University Press, 1916. url .
- The birds of Cheshire / by T. A. Coward and Charles Oldham. Manchester [England]: Sherratt and Hughes, 1900. url p. 174.
- The birds of Devon / 1892 London: R.H. Porter, 1892. url p. 245.
- The birds of Devonshire / by William E.H. Pidsley; edited by H.A. Macpherson, with map and coloured plate. London: Gibbings, 1891. url p. 109.
- The birds of Dorsetshire; a contribution to the natural history of the county, by J.C. Mansel-Pleydell. .. London: R.H. Porter; [etc., etc., 1888?] url p. 162.
- The birds of Essex: a contribution to the natural history of the country. By Miller Christy, F.L.S. With 162 woodcut illustrations, two plans, and a frontispiece. Chelmsford, E. Durrant & Co.; [etc., etc.]1890. url p. 211.
- The birds of Guernsey: and the neighboring islands Alderney, Sark, Jethou, Herm; being a small contribution to the ornithology of the Channel Islands / by Cecil Smith. London: R. H. Porter, 1879. url p. 167, p. 167.
- The birds of Lancashire, by F. S. Mitchell. London, Gurney & Jackson, 1892. url p. 179.
- The birds of North America: one hundred and nineteen artistic colored plates representing the different species and varieties drawn and colored from nature: including a copious text giving a popular account of their habits and 1903 New York: Published under the auspices of the Natural Science Association of America, 1903. url p. 24.
- The birds of Ohio; a revised catalogue, [Columbus?]Academy of Science, 1903. url .
- The birds of Pembrokeshire and its islands / by Murray A. Mathew. London [England]: R.H. Porter, 1894. url p. 73.
- The birds of Sussex, London, R.H. Porter, 1891. url .
- The birds of Sussex, by William Borrer. London, R.H. Porter, 1891. url p. 362.
- The birds of Tunisia; being a history of the birds found in the regency of Tunis. By J. I. S. Whitaker. London, R.H. Porter, 1905. url p. 222.
- The birds of Wiltshire. Comprising all the periodical and occasional visitants, as well as those which are indigenous to the county. By the Rev. Alfred Charles Smith. .. Devizes, H.F. Bull, 1887. url p. 496.
- The birds of Yorkshire: being a historical account of the avi-fauna of the county / by T. H. Nelson; with the co-operation of W. Eagle Clarke and F. Boyes. London: A. Brown, 1907. url p. 482.
- The birds of eastern North America: with original descriptions of all the species which occur east of the Mississippi River, between the Arctic circle and the Gulf of Mexico, with full notes upon their habits, etc., / by C.J. Maynard... Newtonville, Mass.: C.J. Maynard & co., 1896. url p. 98.
- The birds of our country. London, Digby, Long & Co., 1898. url p. 384, p. 393.
- The birds of our country. With illus. by A. Thorburn, J. Giacomelli, G.E. Lodge, K. Keyl, and R. Kretschmer. London, Digby, Long, 1897. url p. 384, p. 393.
- The birds of the British Isles and their eggs. by T.A. Coward; with 213 accurately coloured illustrations by Archibald Thorburn and others, reproduced from Lord Lilford's work Coloured figures of the birds of the British Islands, and 69 photograp London; F. Warne, 1920. url p. 76.
- The birds of the Chicago area / [Chicago, Jennings and Graham], 1907. url .
- The birds of the Japanese Empire. London, R. H. Porter, 1890. url , , , p. 257, p. 26.
- The birds of the Lake St. Martin region, Manitoba / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1937. url p. 14.
- The birds of the vicinity of Lake Nipissing, Ontario / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum], 1939. url p. 6.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 113, p. 113, p. 113.
- The complete wildfowler. By Stanley Duncan and Guy Thorne [pseud.] London, G. Richards, ltd. url p. 321.
- The complete wildfowler. London, G. Richards, Ltd. url .
- The descent of man, and selection in relation to sex. London, J. Murray, 1890. url p. 467.
- The descent of man: and selection in relation to sex / New York: P. F. Collier, 1902. url .
- The ducks, geese and swans of North America, a vade mecum for the naturalist and the sportsman, Washington, D.C., American Wildlife Institute, 1943. url p. 475.
- The ducks, geese, and swans of North America; a vade mecum for the naturalist and the sportsman, by Francis H. Kortright. Illus. by T. M. Shortt. Harrisburg, Pa.: Stackpole Co.;[1960, c1953] url p. 475.
- The edible and game birds of British India, with its dependencies and Ceylon. With woodcuts, lithographs, and coloured illustrations, by James A. Murray. .. Bombay, Education Society's Press, 1889. url p. 205, p. 215, p. 8.
- The effect of altered streamflow on migratory birds of the Yellowstone River Basin, Montana / by Tom Hinz. Helena: Water Resources Division, Montana Dept. of Natural Resources & Conservation, 1977. url p. 101, p. 13, p. 53.
- The faunal connections between Europe and North America. New York, Wiley url p. 25.
- The fowler in Ireland; or, Notes on the haunts and habits of wildfowl and seafowl including instructions in the art of shooting and capturing them, by Sir Ralph Payne-Gallwey. London, J. Van Voorst, 1882. url p. 116.
- The game birds and wild fowl of the British Islands. Sheffield, Pawson & Brailsford, 1900. url , .
- The game-birds of India, Burma and Ceylon. London, Bombay Natural History Society, 1921-30. url p. 317.
- The life and letters of Gilbert White of Selborne / written and edited by his great-grand-nephew R. Holt-White; with pedigree, portraits, and illustrations; in two volumes. London: J. Murray, 1901. url p. 196.
- The migration of British birds, including their post-glacial emigrations as traced by the application of a new law of disperal being a contribution to the study of migration, geographical distribution, and insular faunas, by Charles Dixon. London, Chapman and Hann, 1895. url p. 152.
- The natural history of animals: the animal life of the world in its various aspects and relations, London, The Gresham Publishing Company, 1903-04. url .
- The nests and eggs of British birds: when and where to find them: being a handbook to the oology of the British Islands / by Charles Dixon. London: Chapman and Hall, 1894. url p. 245, p. 245, p. 369.
- The ornithology of Illinois / [by Robert Ridgway and S.A. Forbes]. Springfield, Ill., H.W. Rokker, printer, 1889-1895. url p. 187, p. 188.
- The ornithology of Illinois. Part I. Descriptive catalogue. By Robert Ridgway. Part II. Economic ornithology. By S. A. Forbes. Pub. by the authority of the state Legislature. Springfield, Ill., H. W. Rokker, printer, 1889-95. url p. 187, p. 187, p. 188, p. 188.
- The river-side naturalist; notes on the various forms of life met with either in, on, or by the water, or in its immediate vicinity. Illus. with numerous woodcuts. London, Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, 1890. url p. 54.
- The sportsman's gazetteer and general guide. The game animals, birds and fishes of North America: their habits and various methods of capture. Copious instructions in shooting, fishing, taxidermy, woodcraft, etc. Together with a glossary, and a New York, Orange Judd Companyu, 1883. url .
- The structure and classification of birds, by Frank E. Beddard... LondonLongmans, Green, and co., 1898. url p. 458.
- The subantarctic islands of New Zealand. Reports on the geo-physics, geology, zoology, and botany of the islands lying to the south of New Zealand, based mainly on observatiohs and collections made during an expedition in the government stea Ed. by Chas. Chilton. Pub. by the Philosophical institute of Canterbury. Wellington, N.Z., Printed by J. Mackay, govt. printer, 1909. url p. 587.
- The summer birds of Sudbury district, Ontario / [Toronto]: Printed by University of Toronto Press, 1947. url p. 4.
- The summer birds of Yakutat Bay, Alaska / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1939. url p. 9.
- The summer birds of the northeast shore of Lake Superior, Ontario / [Toronto]: Printed by the University of Toronto Press, 1943. url p. 5.
- The vertebrate fauna of Cheshire and Liverpool Bay / London: Witherby, 1910. url p. 347.
- The vertebrate skeleton, by Sidney H. Reynolds Cambridge, University press, 1897 url p. 41.
- The vertebrate zoology of Sind. A systematic account, with descriptions of all the known species of mammals, birds, and reptiles inhabiting the province. .. London, Richardson, 1884. url .
- The water birds of North America by S.F. Baird, T. M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Boston: Little, Brown, 1884. url , .
- The water birds of North America. By S. F. Baird, T. M. Brewer and R. Ridgway. Issued in continuation of the publications of the Geological survey of California. J. D. Whitney, state geologist. Boston, Little, Brown, and Company, 1884. url p. 111, p. 112.
- The wild fowl of the United States and British possessions: or, The swan, geese, ducks, and mergansers of North America. .. / by Daniel Giraud Elliot. London: Suckling, 1898. url p. 298.
- The wild-fowl and sea-fowl of Great Britain, London, Chapman and Hall, 1895. url , p. 258.
- Transactions - Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 144, p. 33, p. 86.
- Transactions of Vassar Brothers Institute, and its Scientific Section. Poughkeepsie, N.Y.: Vassar Brothers Institute, [1883-1896]. url p. 36.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Naturalists' Field Club. Edinburgh: The Club, 1886. url p. 293, p. 293, p. 294.
- Transactions of the Hertfordshire Natural History Society and Field Club. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1879- url p. 249, p. 79, p. 96.
- Transactions of the Sapporo Natural History Society. Sapporo, Japan, Sapporo Natural History Society, Hokkaido Imperial University. url .
- Travels of a naturalist in northern Europe, Norway, 1871, Archangel, 1872, Petchora, 1875, London, T. F. Unwin, 1905. url p. 119, p. 530.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 1 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 606, p. 647.
- Washington State Coastal Zone Management Program amendment no. 3: approval of the Grays Harbor estuary management plan: program draft environmental impact statement. [Olympia, Wash.?]: Grays Harbor Regional Planning Commission; 1983. url p. 4.
- Watershed management and fish hatchery practices in the Pacific Northwest: hearing before the the Subcommittee on Environment and Natural Resources of the Committee on Merchant Marine and Fisheries, House of Representatives, One Hundred Third Congress, first session. .. Marc Washington: For sale by the U.S. G.P.O., Supt. of Docs., Congressional Sales Office, 1993. url p. 289.
- Wild life of the world: a descriptive survey of the geographical distribution of animals / London; F. Warne and co., 1916. url p. 411, p. 469.
- Yosemite nature notes. [Yosemite National Park, Calif.: Yosemite Natural History Association url p. 89.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Abteilung für Anatomie und Ontogenie der Tiere Jena [Germany]:G. Fischer, c -1993. url p. 392, p. 451.
- Zoology, a textbook for college and university students, by F. E. Chidester. New York, D. Van Nostrand, 1932. url p. 356.
- BirdLife International 2009. Mergus merganser. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 02February2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 06, 2007:
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, North West Territories and Nunavut Bird Checklist, Canada
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Ontario Nest Records
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Royal British Columbia Museum
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- New Brunswick Museum, NBM birds
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Scottish Borders Biological Records Centre - SWT Scottish Borders Local Wildlife Site Survey data 1996-2000 - species information
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Upper Silesian Museum, Bytom, Upper Silesian Museum, Bird Observations
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 11766
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-714746
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 3085810
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 175185
- IUCN ID: 222791
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNJB21010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 6872
- Standard Deviation = 572.530 based on 18,527 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- BirdLife International 2009. Mergus merganser. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 02 February 2012. [back]