- Smews are very rare in America. They have been sighted in New York and Rhode Island. A Smew's breeding season is May to early June. During breeding season Smews live in freshwater lakes and rivers in forests in northern Europe and Asia. They breed in their second year. Other names for Smews are the White Nun and the Weasel Coot.
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Russian:
Species Mergus albellus
Small ,white duck-like bird.
Has a thick pointed bill with a jagged edge .
Males are 17 1/2 inches to the end of the tail
Females are 15 1/4 inches to the end of the tail.
Females have a brownish head and a white cheek and chin patch . The breast is light grey and the rest of the body is dark grey.
During breeding Smews are located in small lakes and ponds . However, during the winters they are found in lakes, rivers , and estuaries. They also nest in holes in trees in the forest .
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 853 meters (0 to 2,799 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- Order: Anseriformes () - Wagler, 1831
- Superorder: Galloanserimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Name Status: Accepted Name . Latest taxonomic scrutiny: 24-Jun-1996.
Members of the genus Mergus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 11 species and subspecies in this genus:
M. albellus (Zwergsaeger) · M. australis (Auckland Island Merganser) · M. cucullatus (Hooded Merganser) · M. merganser (Buff-Breasted Sheldrake) · M. merganser americanus (Common Merganser) · M. octosetaceus (Brazilian Merganser) · M. serrator (Red-Breasted Goosander) · M. serrator linnaeus (Red-Breasted Merganser) · M. serrator schioleri (Red-Breasted Merganser) · M. serrator serrator (Red-Breasted Merganser) · M. squamatus (Scaly-Sided Merganser)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- , 274 p.port.22 cm. url p. 170.
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url .
- A List of British birds / London: John Van Voorst, 1883. url , .
- A book of birds. 1908 London, Sidney Appleton, 1908. url p. 146.
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 541.
- A concise handbook of British birds / H. Kirke Swann. London: J. Wheldon, 1896. url p. 156.
- A dictionary of birds, London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 543.
- A dictionary of birds, by Alfred Newton, assisted by Hans Gadow, with contributions from Richard Lydekker. .. Charles S. Roy. .. and Robert W. Shufeldt. .. London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 543, p. 544.
- A general history of birds by John Latham. Winchester [England]: Printed by Jacob and Johnson, for the author, 1822. url .
- A general history of birds. Winchester [Eng.]Printed by Jacob and Johnson, for the author;1821-28. url p. 208.
- A geographical and comparative list of the birds of Europe and North America / by Charles Lucian Bonaparte. London: J. Van Voorst, 1838. url p. 59.
- A glossary of Greek birds. OxfordClarendon Press1895 url p. 176.
- A glossary of popular, local and old-fashioned names, of British birds; London: H. Sotheran & Co., 1902. url p. 13, p. 25, p. 97.
- A guide to the birds of Nepal Christopher Helm (Publishers) Ltd. url p. 104.
- A hand-book to the birds of Great Britain / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London: E. Lloyd, 1896-1897. url p. 51, p. 52.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 147.
- A hand-list of genera and species of birds of the Indian empire, by E. C. Stuart Baker. .. Bombay, Printed by order of the committee of the Bombay natural history society url p. 240.
- A handbook of British birds, showing the distribution of the resident and migratory species in the British islands, with an index to the records of the rarer visitants, by J.E. Harting. .. London, J.C. Nimmo, 1901. url p. 261, p. 507.
- A handbook of British birds: showing the distribution of the resident and migratory species in the British islands, with an index to the records of the rarer visitants / by J. E. Harting. London: J. van Voorst, 1872. url p. 190, p. 190, p. 67, p. 67.
- A handbook of European birds for the use of field naturalists and collectors. By James Backhouse. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1890. url p. 213, p. 326.
- A handbook of the vertebrate fauna of Yorkshire: being a catalogue of British mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fishes / by Wm. Eagle Clarke, and Wm. Denison Roebuck. London: Reeve, 1881. url p. 59, p. 59.
- A history of British birds / by William Yarrell, V.P.L.S., F.Z.S. London: John van Voorst, 1871-1885. url p. 499, p. 499.
- A history of British birds by William Yarrell; illustrated by 535 wood-engravings. London: J. Van Voorst, 1845. url .
- A history of British birds, indigenous and migratory: including their organization, habits, and relation; remarks on classification and nomenclature; an account of the principal organs of birds, and observations relative to practical ornithology. .. By William Macgillivray. London, Printed for Scott, Webster and Geary, 1837-52. url p. 226, p. 233, p. 234, p. 236, p. 238.
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. .. London, Pub. for the author by R.H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url p. 636.
- A history of British birds. London, J. Van Voorst, 1871-85. url p. 524.
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url , , p. 693, p. 699, p. 702, p. 708.
- A key to the birds of the lower Yangtse Valley, with popular descriptions of the species commonly seen. By N. Gist Gee. .. and Lacy I. Moffett. Shanghai, Shanghai Mercury Limited, Print., 1917. url p. 36.
- A list of British birds / compiled by a committee of the British Ornithologists' Union. London: J. van Voorst, 1883. url , p. 137, p. 220.
- A list of British birds belonging to the Humber district: having a special reference to their migrations / by John Cordeaux. London [England]: R. H. Porter, 1899. url p. 25.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url p. 189.
- A list of British birds. The genera arranged according to Sundevall's method. The nomenclature revised by Henry Thornton Wharton. London, J. Van Voorst, 1877. url p. 20.
- A list of European birds, including all those found in the western palaearctic area, with a supplement containing species said to have occurred, but which, for various reasons, are inadmissible. London, R.H. Porter, 1898. url p. 45.
- A manual of British vertebrate animals: or Descriptions of all the animals belonging to the classes, Mammalia, Aves, Reptilia, Amphibia, and Pisces, which have been hitherto observed in the British Islands: including the domesticated, natur By the Rev. Leonard Jenyns. Cambridge, Printed by J. Smith, sold by J. & J.J. Deighton; [etc., etc.]1835. url p. 250.
- A manual of North American birds by Robert Ridgway. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1887. url .
- A manual of North American birds. By Robert Ridgway. Illustrated by 464 outline drawings of the generic characters. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott Company, 1887. url p. 90.
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Co., 1900. url p. 90.
- A manual of palæarctic birds, by H. E. Dresser. London, The author, 1902-03. url p. 638.
- A manual of the game birds of India. .. Bombay, Pub. for the Author by Messrs A.J. Combridge & Co., 1898-99. url p. 413.
- A manual of the ornithology of the United States and of Canada. By Thomas Nuttall. .. Cambridge, Hilliard and Brown, 1832-1834. url p. 626.
- A monograph on the anatidae or duck tribe. London: Longman, Orme, Brown, Green, & Longman, 1838. url p. 77.
- A monograph on the anatidae, or duck tribe / London: Longman, Orme, Brown, Green, & Longman. .. and Eddowes, Shrewsbury, 1838. url , p. 178.
- A monograph on the structure and development of the shoulder-girdle and sternum on the Vertebrata. By W. Kitchen Parker... London: R. Hardwicke, 1868. url p. 153.
- A natural history of the nests and eggs of British birds / by the Rev. F.O. Morris. London: John C. Nimmo, 1896. url , .
- A pocket-book of British birds, by E.F.M. Elms. London: West, Newman & co. [etc.], 1906. url p. 94.
- A popular history of British birds' eggs / by Richard Laishley. London: L. Reeve, 1858. url p. 307.
- A reprint of the North American zoology, by George Ord. Being an exact reproduction of the part originally compiled by Mr. Ord for Johnson & Warner, and first published by them in their 2d American ed. of Guthrie's geography, in 1815. Taken Haddonsfield, N.J., Pub. by the editor, 1894. url p. 48, p. 72.
- A survey and record of Woolwich and West Kent containing descriptions and records, brought up-to-date, of geology, botany, zoology, archaeology and industries of the district, with a brief photographic commentary, in commemoration of the 12th Ann General editors, C.H. Grinling, T.A. Ingram [and] B.C. Polkinghorne. Woolwich: Labour Representation Print. Co., 1909. url p. 251.
- A synopsis on the anatidae or duck tribe. Wellington, Salop, R. Hobson, 1869. url p. 139.
- A vertebrate fauna of the Orkney Islands / by Thomas E. Buckley and J.A. Harvie-Brown. Edinburgh: D. Douglas, 1891. url p. 177, p. 186, p. 309.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 125, p. 18, p. 189, p. 225, p. 239, p. 24, p. 242, p. 249, p. 25, p. 259, p. 26, p. 28, p. 37, p. 39, p. 40, p. 43, p. 47, p. 63, p. 65, p. 7, p. 70, p. 8, p. 86, p. 91.
- American bird magazine, ornithology. Worcester, Mass.: C.K. Reed, 1903-1906. url p. 213.
- American duck shooting, by George Bird Grinnell. .. with fifty-eight portraits of North American swans, geese and ducks by Edwin Sheppard and numerous vignettes in the text by Wilmot Townsend. New York, Forest and stream pub. co. url p. 623.
- American ornithology, or, The natural history of the birds of the United States illustrated with plates engraved from drawings from nature by Alexander Wilson and Charles Lucian Bonaparte. Philadelphia: Porter & Coates, [1878?] url .
- American ornithology: or, The natural history of the birds of the United States / Philadelphia: Porter and Coates, [187-?] url .
- American ornithology; or, The natural history of the birds of the United States / by Alexander Wilson, and Charles Lucian Bonaparte; edited by Robert Jameson. Edinburgh: Constable, 1831. url p. 248.
- American ornithology; or, the natural history of the birds of the United States, by Alexander Wilson and Charles Lucian Bonaparte. Philadelphia, Porter & Coates url p. 58.
- An environmental profile of the Black Sea Coast WCMC url p. 101, p. 22, p. 23, p. 26, p. 54.
- An illustrated manual of British birds, with 384 illustrations and 3 colored maps. London, Gurney, 1899. url p. 475.
- An introduction to the birds of Great Britain / by John Gould. London: Printed for the author by Taylor and Francis, 1873. url p. 125.
- An introduction to the natural history of birds; being the article "Ornithology", from the seventh edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica. .. Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1839. url p. 647.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url , p. 106, p. 106, p. 146.
- Animal life and the world of nature: a magazine of natural history throughout the world. London: Hutchinson, 1902-1904. url p. 205.
- Annals of natural history. London, R. and J.E. Taylor, url p. 336, p. 336, p. 55, p. 55.
- Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York. New-York: 1824-1876. url p. 397, p. 398.
- Ardea. Amsterdam, etc., Nederlandse Ornithlogische Unie, etc. url p. 108, p. 57, p. 94.
- Aves / 1891 London: Printed by Taylor and Francis, 1891. url p. 133.
- Bird life in arctic Norway: a popular brochure / by Robert Collett; translated by Alfred Heneage Cocks. London: H.R. Porter, 1894. url p. ix.
- Birds / by Spencer Fullerton Baird; with the co-operation of John Cassin and George N. Lawrence. Washington, D.C., 1858. url p. 812.
- Birds in their haunts, by the late C. A. Johns. London, E. P. Dutton, 1909. url .
- Birds of Britain, London, A. and C. Black, 1907. url .
- Birds of Britain, by J. Lewis Bonhote. .. with 100 illustrations in colour selected by H.E. Dresser from his Birds of Europe.' London: A. and C. Black, 1907. url p. 266.
- Birds of the British Isles, drawn and described by John Duncan; with an introd. by Charles Dixon. London, W. Scott, 1898. url p. 271.
- Birds of the Humber District / by John Cordeaux. London: Van Voorst, 1872. url p. 176, p. 224.
- Birds of the plains, by Douglas Dewar. .. with sixteen illustrations from photographs of living birds, by Captain F. D. S. Fayrer, I. M. S. London, J. Lane;1909  url p. 246, p. 246.
- Birds of the world for young people, New York, F.A. Stokes Company url , , .
- Birds of the world; a popular account. With a chapter on the anatomy of birds, by Frederic A. Lucas; the whole edited by Robert Ridgway. New York, Holt, 1909. url p. 200, p. 862.
- Birds. By Eugene W. Oates. London: Taylor and Francis; [etc., etc.], 1889-98. url p. 467.
- Birds. London, Taylor and Francis, 1889-1898. url .
- British birds & their eggs: with a new method of identification / London: W. & R. Chambers, 1909. url .
- British birds in their haunts / by the Rev. C. A. Johns; with illustrations on wood, drawn by Wolf, engraved by Whymper. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1867. url p. 525.
- British birds in their haunts / edited, revised and annotated, by J.A. Owen; illustrated with 64 coloured plates (256 figures) by William Foster; with a glossary of common and provincial names and of technical terms. London: G. Routledge url p. 202.
- British birds in their haunts, by the late Rev. C.A. Johns. .. ed., rev., and annotated, by J.A. Owen. .. Illustrated with 64 coloured plates (256 figures) by William Foster. .. With a glossary of common and provincial names and te London, E.P. Dutton & Co., 1909. url p. 202.
- British birds in their haunts. .. Edited, revised, and annotated by J.A. Owen. .. Illustrated with 64 coloured plates by William Foster. With a glossary of common and provincial names and of technical terms. London, Dutton url p. 202.
- British birds with their nests and eggs London, Brumby & Clarke[1896-98] url .
- British birds' eggs and nests, popularly described / by Rev. Canon Atkinson; illustrated by W.S. Coleman. London: G. Routledge, 1898. url p. 229.
- British birds' eggs and nests: popularly described / By J. C. Atkinson; with coloured illustrations by W. S. Coleman. London: G. Routledge and Sons, 1901. url p. 229.
- British birds, London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1921. url , p. 258, p. 358.
- British birds, by W. H. Hudson, C.M.Z.S. With a chapter on structure and classification by Frank E. Beddard, F.R.S. With 8 coloured plates from original drawings by A. Thorburn and 8 plates and 100 figures in black London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1921. url , p. 258, p. 358.
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 20, p. 22, p. 241, p. 266, p. 270, p. 347, p. 350, p. 350, p. 87.
- British birds: key list. London, R. H. Porter, 1892. url p. 42.
- British sea birds. .. with eight illustrations by Charles Whymper. London, Bliss, Sands and Foster, 1896. url p. 223.
- British sea birds. With eight illustrations by Charles Whymper. London, Bliss, Sands and Foster, 1896. url p. 223.
- British zoology, London: Printed for Wilkie and Robinson [etc.], 1812. url p. 216.
- British zoology. Warrington, Printed by W. Eyres, for B. White, London, 1776-77. url p. 559.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 178, p. 318, p. 337, p. 372, p. 374, p. 410, p. 453.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Biological Survey. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1907. url p. 22, p. 90.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 20, p. 229, p. 421.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1950-1977. url p. 240.
- Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club. London: The Club, 1893- url p. 284, p. 284, p. 53.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 129, p. 70.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 934, p. 937, p. 941, p. 949, p. 956.
- Calcutta journal of natural history, and miscellany of the arts and sciences in India. Calcutta, Bishop's College Press. url p. 558.
- Catalogue of British birds in the collection of the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the trustees, 1863. url .
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 404.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 1236, p. 431.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 431.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 379, p. 463, p. 464, p. 481.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 195.
- Catalogue of the birds in the Museum Asiatic Society / by Edward Blyth. Published by order of the society. Calcutta: J. Thomas, 1849. url , p. 340, p. 378.
- Catalogue of the birds of Suffolk, with an introduction and remarks on their distribution. London, J. Van Voorst, 1884-86. url p. 193.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 195.
- Catalogue of the genera and subgenera of birds contained in the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1855. url p. 125.
- Catalogue of the specimens illustrating the osteology of vertebrated animals, recent and extinct, contained in the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. London, 1891. url p. 312.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 369.
- Check-list of North American birds, prepared by a committee of the American Ornithologists' Union. New York, American Ornithologists' Union, 1910. url p. 67, p. 67.
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 646.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 94.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 185, p. 496, p. 497.
- Checklists for the CORINE Biotopes Programme and its application in the PHARE countries of Central and East Europe: including comparisons with relevant conventions and agreements on the conservation of European species and habitats EC url p. 9.
- Color key to North American birds, with bibliographical appendix, by Frank M. Chapman. .. with upwards of 800 drawings, by Chester A. Reed, B.S. New York, D. Appleton & Company, 1912. url p. 345, p. 345.
- Color key to North American birds; with bibliographical appendix. New York, D. Appleton, 1912. url .
- Coloured figures of the birds of the British Islands / issued by Lord Lilford. London: R. H. Porter, 1885-1897. url , .
- Coloured figures of the eggs of British birds: with descriptive notices / by Henry Seebohm; edited (after the author's death) by R. Bowdler Sharpe. Sheffield: Pawson and Brailsford, 1896. url p. 58.
- Complete wildfowler. New York, Outing pub. co., 1912. url p. 322.
- Contributions to biology from the Hopkins Seaside Laboratory of the Leland Stanford Jr. University. Stanford University, Calif.: The University, 1895-1904. url p. 151.
- Contributions to the flora and fauna of Repton and neighbourhood. London, Bemrose, 1881. url p. 91.
- Contributions to the ornithology of Siberia / by Henry Seebohm. S.l.: s.n., 1880? url p. 75.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 164, p. 194, p. 196, p. 230, p. 231, p. 234, p. 236, p. 327, p. 597, p. 603, p. 609, p. 676.
- Diseases and enemies of poultry / by Leonard Pearson and B.H. Warren. [Harrisburg, Pa.]: C.M. Busch, 1897. url p. 608.
- Diseases and enemies of poultry. Pearson & Warren. Harrisburg, C.M. Busch, state printer, 1897 url p. 608.
- Diseases of poultry part 1 / by Leonard Pearson. Enemies of poultry: part 2 / by B.H. Warren. Harrisburg, Pa.: C.M. Busch, state printer, 1897. url .
- Distribution and migration of North American ducks, geese, and swans / Washington: G.P.O., 1906. url , .
- Edinburgh journal of natural history and of the physical sciences. Edinburgh [etc.]: Published for the proprietor [etc.], 1835-1840. url p. 52.
- English cyclopaedia, a new dictionary of universal knowledge, conducted by Charles Knight. London, Bradbury, 1854-61. url .
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url , p. 23, p. 8.
- Familiar wild birds / [illustrations by A. Thornburn and others]. London: Cassel, 1903. url .
- Familiar wild birds / by W. Swaysland; with coloured plates. London; New York: Cassell, 1883. url , p. 173.
- Fauna boreali-americana, or, The zoology of the northern parts of British America: containing descriptions of the objects of natural history collected on the late northern land expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. / by John Richardson, surgeon and naturalist to the expeditions; assisted by William Swainson and the Reverend William Kirby. London: J. Murray [etc.], 1829-1837. url p. 37, p. 438.
- Fleas, flukes & cuckoos; a study of bird parasites, by Miriam Rothschild and Theresa Clay. New York, Macmillan, 1957. url p. 294, p. 304.
- Fur and feather in North China. Tientsin, North China: Tientsin Press, 1914. url p. 121.
- Game, shore, and water birds of India, with additional references to their allied species in other parts of the world. London, W. Thacker, 1904. url .
- Genera insectorum / publiés par P. Wytsman. Bruxelles, L. Desmet-Verteneuil [etc.]1902-1970. url p. 71.
- General zoology, or Systematic natural history, by George Shaw. .. with plates from the first authorities and most selected specimens, engraved principally by Mr. Heath. London, Printed for G. Kearsley, 1800-1826. url p. 157.
- Geographical distribution of British birds / by Henry Seebohm. London: R.H. Porter, 1893. url , p. 26.
- Glacier garden, Lucerne. Lucerne: Bucher, 1913. url .
- Guide to the Gallery of Birds in the Department of Zoology, British Museum (Natural History). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1921. url p. 63.
- Guide to the birds of the Caucasus. Tiflis, 1907. url p. 129.
- Guide to the gallery of birds in the Department of Zoology, British Museum (Natural History) LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees url p. 63.
- Hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. London, Allen, 1894-97. url p. 51, p. 52, p. 52.
- Handbook and guide to the British birds on exhibition in the Lord Derby Natural History Museum, Liverpool. Liverpool, C. Tinling, 1914. url p. 52.
- Handbook for Southport: medical and general, with copious notices of the natural history of the district / edited by Edward Day McNicoll. Southport [Eng.]: R. Johnson, 1883. url p. 102.
- Handbook of birds of eastern North America / by Frank M. Chapman. New York: D. Appleton, 1904. url p. 411.
- Handbook of zoology / by J. van der Hoeven. Cambridge: University Press, 1856-1858. url p. 338, p. 373, p. 383.
- Handbook of zoology; by J. van der Hoeven. Tr. from the 2d Dutch ed. by the Rev. William Clark. Cambridge: Longman, Brown, Green, Longmans, and Roberts, 1856-58. url p. 383.
- Handbuch der Biologie der Wirbeltiere. Von Dr. M. Hilzheimer. unter Mitwirkung von Dr. Phil. O. Haempel. mikt 599 Textabbildungen. vii, 756 p.illus (part col.)26 cm. url p. 426.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url , p. 137, p. 17, p. 55, p. 95.
- Heligoland as an ornithological observatory; the result of fifty years' experience, Edinburgh, D. Douglas, 1895. url p. 539, p. 540, p. 594.
- IUCN Directory of South Asian Protected Areas IUCN url p. 163, p. 288.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url , , , p. 118, p. 124, p. 156, p. 160, p. 177, p. 180, p. 184, p. 212, p. 215, p. 222, p. 23, p. 230, p. 245, p. 251, p. 263, p. 28, p. 284, p. 289, p. 29, p. 291, p. 295, p. 328, p. 341, p. 344, p. 345, p. 35, p. 35, p. 355, p. 382, p. 383, p. 394, p. 397, p. 400, p. 409, p. 421, p. 421, p. 422, p. 429, p. 436, p. 438, p. 448, p. 456, p. 469, p. 485, p. 494, p. 498, p. 498, p. 499, p. 502, p. 506, p. 511, p. 519, p. 534, p. 542, p. 551, p. 586, p. 593, p. 596, p. 622, p. 638, p. 638, p. 648, p. 651, p. 664, p. 670, p. 675, p. 69, p. 71, p. 727, p. 753, p. 77, p. 772, p. 778, p. 780, p. 93, p. 997.
- Illinois biological monographs. Urbana, Univ. of Illinois Press. url p. 23, p. 238.
- Illustrations of British ornithology. By Prideaux John Selby. Edinburgh: Printed for the proprietor, and pub. by W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.], 1833. url p. 257, p. 385, p. 385.
- Index-catalogue of the birds in the Hancock collection. [Newcastle-upon-Tyne]Printed for the Natural History Society, 1899. url p. 120.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 191.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 565, p. 671.
- Jottings about birds / by Charles Dixon. London: Chapman and Hall, 1893. url p. 34, p. 34.
- Journal of the proceedings of the Linnean Society. London: The Society, 1857-1864. url p. 36, p. 40, p. 46.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and lower California By Elliot Coues. Boston, D. Estes and Company, 1903. url p. 948.
- Kingsbridge and its surroundings. By S.P. Fox. Plymouth: Printed for the compiler by G.P. Friend, 1874. url p. 259.
- Late Pleistocene vertebrates from archaeological sites in the Plain of Kom Ombo, Upper Egypt / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum], 1972. url , p. 158, p. 39.
- Leach's Systematic catalogue of the specimens of the indigenous mammalia and birds in the British Museum. Ed. by Osbert Salvin. London: [Printed by R. and A. Taylor], 1882. url p. 36.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 613.
- List of the specimens of birds in the collection of the British Museum. London: Printed by the order of the Trustees, 1848-1856. url p. 147.
- List of the specimens of the British animals in the collection of the British museum. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1845-55. url p. 122.
- List of the vertebrated animals living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London: Printed for the Society, 1862. url p. 86.
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London, Printed for the Society, 1896. url p. 451, p. 451, p. 706, p. 706.
- Lord Lilford on birds: being a collection of informal and unpublished writings by the late president of the British Ornithologists' Union. With contributed papers upon falconry and otter hunting, his favourite sports. Edited by Aubyn Trevor-Battye and illustrated by Archibald Thorburn. London, Hutchinson, 1903. url p. 152, p. 289.
- Magazine of natural history and journal of zoology, botany, mineralogy, geology and meteorology. London: printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1829-1837. url p. 364, p. 767.
- Magazine of zoology and botany. Edinburgh; Dublin. url p. 307.
- Manual of British birds: including the essential characteristics of the orders, families, genera, and species. London: Printed for Adam Scott, 1846. url p. 197.
- Memo?rias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz. Rio de Janeiro. url p. 153.
- Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, at Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass. 13 1884 Cambridge [Mass.]: The Museum, 1876-1940. url p. 124, p. 124.
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url p. 281.
- Mongolia, the Tangut country, and the solitudes of northern Tibet, being a narrative of three years' travel in eastern high Asia. By Lieut.-Colonel N. Prejevalsky. .. Translated by E. Delmar Morgan. .. with introduction and notes by Colonel Henry Yule. London: S. Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, 1876. url p. 110.
- Monographia anoplurorum Britanniae or An essay on the British species of parasitic insects belonging to the order of Anoplura of Leach, with the modern divisions of the general according to the views of Leach, Nitzsch, and Burmeister, by Henry Denny. . London: H. G. Bohn, 1842 url p. 103, p. 202, p. 235.
- My garden, its plan and culture together with a general description of its geology, botany, and natural history, London, Bell and Daldy, 1872. url .
- Names and portraits of birds which interest gunners, with descriptions in languages understanded of the people; New York, Harper,  url , .
- Natural history, by R. Lydekker [and others] London, Hutchinson, 1897. url p. 751.
- Natural history, by R. Lydekker, W. F. Kirby, B. B. Woodward, R. Kirpatrick, R. I. Pocock, R. Bowdler Sharpe, W. Garstang, F. A. Bather, H. M. Bernard. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1897. url p. 297.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 401, p. 42, p. 424, p. 485.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds: with a chapter on ornithological and oölogical collecting (the preparation of skins, nests and eggs for the cabinet). Toronto: Musson url p. 78.
- North American pseudophyllidean cestodes from fishes. [UrbanaUniversity of Illinois][c1919] url p. 23, p. 264, p. 34, p. 23, p. 238.
- Notes on the birds of Herefordshire, contributed by members of the Woolhope Club. Collected and arranged by the late Henry Graves Bull.
- Notes on the birds of Northamptonshire and neighbourhood / Lord Lilford; illustrated by A. Thorburn and G.E. Lodge. London: Porter, 1895. url p. 303.
- Notes on the birds of Rainham, including the district between Chatham and Sittingbourne. London, Curney & Jackson, 1894. url p. 75.
- Observations in natural history: with an introduction on habits of observing, as connected with the study of that science; also a calendar of periodic phenomena in natural history; with remarks on the importance of such registers / by the Rev. Leonard Jenyns. London: John van Voorst, 1846. url p. 107.
- On the intestinal tract of birds; with remarks on the valuation and nomenclature of zoological characters. By P. Chalmers Mitchell. .. London, 1901 url p. 203.
- Ootheca Wolleyana: an illustrated catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs, begun by the late John Wolley, jun.. .. and continued with additions, by the editor, Alfred Newton. .. London, sold by R. H. Porter, 1864-1907. url p. 2, p. 490, p. 619, p. 620, p. 622, p. 623, p. 624, p. 625, p. 627, p. 664.
- Ornamental waterfowl: a practical manual on the acclimatization of the swimming birds. .. Walsall, W. H. Robinson, 1907. url .
- Ornithological bibliography. [Washington: Geological Survey [etc.], 1878-1880. url p. 934, p. 938.
- Ornithological miscellany / 3 1878 London: Trübner and Co., Bernard Quaritch, R.H. Porter, 1876-1878. url p. 108, p. 267.
- Ornithologisches Centralblatt. Leipzig: L.A. Kittler, 1876-82. url p. 103.
- Our country's birds and how to know them. A guide to all the birds of Great Britain. London, Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent[1892?] url , , , .
- Our migrant birds and how to know them / by E.F.M. Elms. London: Thornton Butterworth, 1922. url p. 100.
- Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston [etc.]Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 326.
- Proceedings of the International Ornithological Congress. [Canberra, etc.]Australian Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 237, p. 364.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, Natural History Society of Glasgow. url , , p. 151, p. 72.
- Proceedings of the Royal Physical Society of Edinburgh. Edinburgh: The Society, 1858-1955 url , p. 408.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 1063, p. 138, p. 237, p. 562, p. 602, p. 676, p. 755.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url , p. 102, p. 102, p. 1046, p. 1046, p. 156, p. 206, p. 215, p. 30, p. 30, p. 301, p. 301, p. 319, p. 322, p. 336, p. 454, p. 460, p. 460, p. 473, p. 514, p. 517, p. 529, p. 531, p. 665, p. 689, p. 704, p. 717.
- Protected Landscapes: experience around the world. Prepared for the International Symposium on Protected Landscapes, Grange-over-Sands, England 5-10 October 1987 IUCN url p. 276.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 22.
- Reports and transactions. Cardiff [etc. url p. 53, p. 72.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Washington, A. O. P. Nicholson, printer [etc.]1855-60. url .
- Reports on zoology for 1843, 1844 / Tr. from the German by George Busk, Alfred Tulk, esq., and Alexander H. Haliday, esq. London: Printed for the Ray society, 1847. url p. 467, p. 582.
- Reptiles and birds, a popular account of their various orders: with a description of the habits and economy of the most interesting / by Louis Figuier; edited and adapted by Parker Gillmore. New York: D. Appleton, 1870. url p. 260.
- Reptiles and birds. A popular account of the various orders; with a description of the habits and economy of the most interesting. Springfield, Mass., W.J. Holland[pref. 1869] url , p. 260.
- Reptiles and birds: a popular account of the various orders; with a description of the habits and economy of the most interesting / by Louis Figuier; edited by Parker Gillmore. Springfield, Mass.: W.J. Holland,  url p. 260, p. 261.
- Revised list of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological society of London. 1872. London, Printed for the Society,  url p. 257, p. 389.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 104, p. 333, p. 46, p. 6.
- Scenes and tales of country life with recollections of natural history / by Edward Jesse. London: J. Murray, 1844. url p. 167.
- Sea-birds: an introduction to the natural history of the sea-birds of the North Atlantic / by James Fisher and R. M. Lockley. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin, 1954. url p. 295.
- Siberia in Europe: a visit to the valley of the Petchora, in north-east Russia; with descriptions of the natural history, migration of birds, etc. / by Henry Seebohm. London: J. Murray, 1880. url p. 150.
- Sketch-book of British birds / by R. Bowdler Sharpe; with coloured illustrations by A.F. and C. Lydon. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1898. url , p. 153, p. 251.
- Smithsonian herpetological information service. Washington: Division of Reptiles and Amphibians, U.S. National Museum. url p. 21, p. 3, p. 5.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 120, p. 122, p. 127, p. 128, p. 130, p. 165, p. 176, p. 177, p. 195, p. 207, p. 233, p. 270, p. 273, p. 275, p. 277, p. 281, p. 286, p. 31, p. 325, p. 333, p. 34, p. 345, p. 362, p. 363, p. 364, p. 369, p. 381, p. 405, p. 411, p. 43, p. 435, p. 451, p. 462, p. 480, p. 51, p. 513, p. 52, p. 538, p. 54, p. 555, p. 559, p. 574, p. 590, p. 61, p. 620, p. 631, p. 643, p. 676, p. 687, p. 70, p. 73, p. 77, p. 79, p. 80, p. 89.
- Stray feathers. Journal of ornithology for India and its dependencies. Calcutta: s.n., 1872-1899. url p. 107.
- Studies in bird migration, London, Gurney and Jackson; [etc., etc.]1912. url .
- Supplement II to the General synopsis of birds London: Printed for Leigh, Sotheby & Son. .., 1801. url .
- Supplement to the code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds. adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; prepared by a Committee of the Union. New York: The Union, 1889-1920. url p. 118.
- Systematic catalogue of the eggs of British birds; arranged with a view to supersede the use of labels for eggs. London, John van Voorst, 1848. url p. 163.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 139, p. 139, p. 149, p. 15, p. 229, p. 260, p. 477, p. 477.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 113, p. 115, p. 124, p. 134, p. 144, p. 147, p. 154, p. 156, p. 157, p. 181, p. 183, p. 213, p. 219, p. 267, p. 50, p. 72, p. 74, p. 74, p. 82.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 118, p. 118, p. 163, p. 360, p. 363, p. 473.
- The Avicultural magazine. Ascot, Berkshire, etc.: Avicultural Society, etc. url p. 11.
- The British bird book: an account of all the birds, nests and eggs found in the British Isles / ed. by F.B. Kirkman. Illustrated by two hundred drawings and numerous photographs. London: T.C. & E.C. Jack, 1910-13. url p. 292, p. 295, p. 664.
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, The Macmillan, Company, 1895-1909 url p. 614.
- The Edinburgh new philosophical journal. Edinburgh: A. and C. Black [etc.] url p. 202, p. 202, p. 65.
- The Field naturalist's quarterly. Edinburgh: George A. Morton, 1902-1904. url p. 73.
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 124, p. 150.
- The Indian ducks and their allies / 1908 [Bombay]: Published by the Bombay Natural History Society; 1908. url p. 262, p. 265, p. 267.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url , p. 175.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url , , , , , , , , , , p. 1157, p. 1175, p. 153, p. 169, p. 200, p. 224, p. 348, p. 657, p. 808, p. 857, p. 947, p. 949, p. 971, p. 979.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society of London. London: Academic Press [etc.], 1865-1968. url p. 252.
- The Magazine of natural history / conducted by Edward Charlesworth. [S.l.: s.n.], url p. 530.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 3127, p. 688.
- The Naturalist. 1891 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 103, p. 143, p. 169, p. 182, p. 26.
- The New Forest: its history and its scenery / by John R. Wise; with 63 illustrations by Walter Crane; engraved by W.J. Linton. London: Gibbings, 1895. url p. 317.
- The New Forest; its history and its scenery. By John R. Wise. With 63 illustrations, drawn by Walter Crane, engraved by W.J. Linton, and two maps. London: Gibbings & co., 1895. url p. 317.
- The Scientific proceedings of the Royal Dublin Society. Dublin: The Society, 1877- url p. 403.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url p. 133, p. 140, p. 150, p. 152, p. 154, p. 18, p. 190, p. 289, p. 55, p. 91.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 343, p. 57, p. 80.
- The Victoria history of Berkshire. edited by P.H. Ditchfield and William Page. [LondonConstable]1906-1923 url p. 158.
- The Victoria history of the county of Warwick. London: Published for the University of London Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall, 1965- url p. 202.
- The Warbler. Floral Park: Mayflower Pub. Co., [1903-1913] url p. 71.
- The aquatic birds of Great Britain and Ireland. London: R. H. Porter, 1906. url , p. 157, p. 157, p. 586.
- The birds of Berkshire and Buckinghamshire: a contribution to the natural history of the two counties / by Alexander W. M. Clark Kennedy. Eton: Ingalton and Drake; 1868. url p. 207.
- The birds of Berwickshire; with remarks on their local distribution migration, and habits, and also on the folk-lore, proverbs, popular rhymes and sayings connected with them, by George Muirhead. .. Edinburgh, David Douglas, 1889-95. url p. 130.
- The birds of Breconshire / by E. Cambridge Phillips. .. Brecon [Eng.]: E. Davies, 1899. url p. 123, p. 148.
- The birds of Cheshire / by T. A. Coward and Charles Oldham. Manchester [England]: Sherratt and Hughes, 1900. url p. 175, p. 266.
- The birds of Dorsetshire; a contribution to the natural history of the county, by J.C. Mansel-Pleydell. .. London, R.H. Porter; [etc., etc., 1888?] url p. 164, p. 174, p. 174.
- The birds of Essex: a contribution to the natural history of the country. By Miller Christy, F.L.S. With 162 woodcut illustrations, two plans, and a frontispiece. Chelmsford, E. Durrant & Co.; [etc., etc.]1890. url p. 212.
- The birds of Guernsey: and the neighboring islands Alderney, Sark, Jethou, Herm; being a small contribution to the ornithology of the Channel Islands / by Cecil Smith. London: R. H. Porter, 1879. url p. 169.
- The birds of Lancashire, by F. S. Mitchell. London, Gurney & Jackson, 1892. url p. 181.
- The birds of London / London: Sonnenschein, 1893. url p. 88.
- The birds of Massachusetts, Cambridge, Mass., 1901. url , .
- The birds of Massachusetts, by Reginald Heber Howe and Glover Morrill Allen. Cambridge, Mass., 1901. url p. 137, p. 137, p. 149, p. 149.
- The birds of Middlesex. A contribution to the natural history of the county. By James Edmund Harting, F.Z.S. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866. url p. 239, p. 283, p. 283.
- The birds of Norfolk, with remarks on their habits, migration, and local distribution: by Henry Stevenson. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866-1890. url p. 224, p. 418.
- The birds of Norfolk: with remarks on their habits, migration, and local distribution / by Henry Stevenson. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866-1890. url p. 224.
- The birds of Oxfordshire. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1889. url p. 207.
- The birds of Pembrokeshire and its islands / by Murray A. Mathew. London [England]: R.H. Porter, 1894. url p. 74.
- The birds of Sherwood Forest: with notes on their habits, nesting, migrations, etc., being a contribution to the natural history of the country / by W.J. Sterland. London: L. Reeve, 1869. url p. 223.
- The birds of Somersetshire. London: John van Voorst, 1869. url p. 639, p. 639.
- The birds of Sussex, London, R.H. Porter, 1891. url , .
- The birds of Sussex, by William Borrer. London, R.H. Porter, 1891. url p. 364, p. 382.
- The birds of Tunisia; being a history of the birds found in the regency of Tunis. By J. I. S. Whitaker. London, R.H. Porter, 1905. url , p. 224, p. 225.
- The birds of Wiltshire. Comprising all the periodical and occasional visitants, as well as those which are indigenous to the county. By the Rev. Alfred Charles Smith. .. Devizes, H.F. Bull, 1887. url p. 494.
- The birds of Yorkshire: being a historical account of the avi-fauna of the county / by T. H. Nelson; with the co-operation of W. Eagle Clarke and F. Boyes. London: A. Brown, 1907. url p. 485, p. 794.
- The birds of our country. With illus. by A. Thorburn, J. Giacomelli, G.E. Lodge, K. Keyl, and R. Kretschmer. London, Digby, Long, 1897. url p. 385, p. 396.
- The birds of the Japanese Empire. London, R.H. Porter, 1890. url p. 259, p. 382.
- The birds of the west of Scotland: including the outer Hebrides, with occasional records of the occurrence of the rarer species throughout Scotland generally / by Robert Gray. Glasgow: T. Murray & Son, 1871. url p. 397.
- The book of the seasons: or, The calendar of nature / by William Howitt. Philadelphia: Carey and Hart, 1842. url p. 340.
- The book of the seasons; or, The calendar of nature. LondonR. Bentley1833 url p. 325.
- The collected scientific papers of the late William Alexander Forbes, Edited by F. E. Beddard. With a preface by P. L. Sclater. London, R.H. Porter, 1885. url p. 387, p. 488.
- The complete wildfowler. By Stanley Duncan and Guy Thorne [pseud.] London, G. Richards, ltd. url p. 322.
- The complete wildfowler. London, G. Richards, Ltd. url .
- The correspondence of John Ray, consisting of selections from the philosophical letters published by Dr. Derham and original letters of John Ray in the collection of the British Museum / London: Printed for the Ray Society, 1848. url p. 499.
- The correspondence of John Ray: consisting of selections from the philosophical letters published by Dr. Derham, and original letters of John Ray in the collection of the British Museum. Ed. by Edwin Lankester. London: Printed for the Ray Society, 1848. url p. 16, p. 499.
- The cyclopædia; or, Universal dictionary of arts, sciences, and literature. London: Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme & Brown [etc.], 1819. url , .
- The feathered tribes of the British Islands / by Robert Mudie. London: H.G. Bohn, 1854. url p. 357, p. 436.
- The fowler in Ireland; or, Notes on the haunts and habits of wildfowl and seafowl including instructions in the art of shooting and capturing them, by Sir Ralph Payne-Gallwey. London, J. Van Voorst, 1882. url p. 116, p. 122.
- The game birds and wild fowl of the British Islands. Sheffield, Pawson & Brailsford, 1900. url , .
- The game-birds of India, Burma and Ceylon. London, Bombay Natural History Society, 1921-30. url , p. 309, p. 338.
- The migration of British birds, including their post-glacial emigrations as traced by the application of a new law of disperal being a contribution to the study of migration, geographical distribution, and insular faunas, by Charles Dixon. London, Chapman and Hann, 1895. url p. 152.
- The natural history of Ireland. London: Reeve, Benham and Reeve, 1849-56. url p. 159.
- The natural history of animals: the animal life of the world in its various aspects and relations, London, The Gresham Publishing Company, 1903-04. url .
- The natural history of the USSR / Algirdas Knystautas; foreword by Vladimir Flint; [translation, John S. Scott]. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1987. url p. 218.
- The naturalist in Norway: or, Notes on the wild animals, birds, fishes, and plants of that country. .. / by Rev. J. Bowden. London: L. Reeve & Co., 1869. url p. 207.
- The naturalist's library. Conducted by Sir William Jardine. Edinburgh, W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.]1833- url p. 175.
- The naturalist's library: containing scientific and popular descriptions of man, quadrupeds, birds, fishes, reptiles and insects / compiled from the works of Cuvier, Griffith, Richardson, Geoffrey, Lacepede, Buffon, Goldsmith, Shaw, Montague, Wilson, Lewis and Clarke, Audubon, and other writers on natural history; arranged accor Boston: Phillips, Sampson, and Company, 1852. url p. 672.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url , p. 157, p. 307.
- The nests and eggs of non-indigenous British birds or such species that do not breed within the British Archipelago / Charles Dixon. London: Chapman & Hall, 1894. url p. 186.
- The ornithology of the Straits of Gibraltar / by L. Howard L. Irby. London: R.H. Porter, 1895. url p. 232, p. 322.
- The pictorial museum of animated nature. .. London: C. Cox, [1844?] url p. 54.
- The sea-side book: being an introduction to the natural history of the British coasts / by W.H. Harvey. London: John Van Voorst, 1849. url p. 253.
- The sea-side book; being an introduction to the natural history of the British coasts. By W.H. Harvey. .. London: J. Van Voorst, 1857. url p. 287, p. 323.
- The sportsman's British bird book / by R. Lydekker. London: Rowland Ward, 1908. url .
- The three voyages of Captain James Cook round the world. .. London: Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown. .., 1821. url p. 324.
- The vertebrate fauna of Cheshire and Liverpool Bay / London: Witherby, 1910. url p. 196, p. 351, p. 467.
- The water birds of North America. By S. F. Baird, T. M. Brewer and R. Ridgway. Issued in continuation of the publications of the Geological survey of California. J. D. Whitney, state geologist. Boston, Little, Brown, and Company, 1884. url p. 124.
- The water fowl of India and Asia / by Frank Finn. Calcutta: Thacker, Spink & Co., 1909. url .
- The water-fowl family / by L. C. Sanford, L. B. Bishop and T. S. Van Dyke. New York: Macmillan, 1903. url p. 589.
- The water-fowl family, London, Macmillan and Co., Ltd., 1903. url , , p. 199, p. 199, p. 589, p. 589, p. 589.
- The wild fowl of the United States and British possessions: or, The swan, geese, ducks, and mergansers of North America. .. / by Daniel Giraud Elliot. London: Suckling, 1898. url p. 299.
- The wild-fowl and sea-fowl of Great Britain, London, Chapman and Hall, 1895. url , p. 260.
- Through Shên-kan: the account of the Clark expedition in north China, 1908-9 / By Robert Sterling Clark and Arthur de C. Sowerby, ed. by Major C. H. Chepmell. London [etc.]: T. F. Unwin, 1912. url p. 106.
- Through Shên-kan; the account of the Clark expedition in north China, 1908-9. By Robert Sterling Clark and Arthur de C. Sowerby, ed. by Major C. H. Chepmell. London [etc.]T. F. Unwin, 1912. url p. 106, p. 106.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London. London: [The Society], 1879- url p. 202, p. 468, p. 92, p. 92.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 160, p. 392.
- Travels of a naturalist in northern Europe, Norway, 1871, Archangel, 1872, Petchora, 1875, London, T. F. Unwin, 1905. url p. 131, p. 208, p. 490, p. 524, p. 537.
- Treaties and other international agreements on fisheries, oceanographic resources, and wildlife to which the United States is party / prepared at the request of Hon. Warren G. Magnuson for the use of the Committee on Commerce, United States Senate, by the Congressional Research Service, the Library of Congress. Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O., 1974. url p. 822.
- Wild life of the world: a descriptive survey of the geographical distribution of animals / 2 London; F. Warne and co., 1916. url p. 36, p. 434, p. 439.
- Wilson's American ornithology: with notes by Jardine; to which is added a synopsis of American birds, including those described by Bonaparte, Audubon, Nuttall, and Richardson / by T.M. Brewer. 1840 Boston: Otis, Broaders, and Co., 1840. url p. 618.
- With boat and gun in the Yangtze valley. With special chapters by valued contributors. Shanghai[Shanghai Mercury]1910 url p. 35.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url , p. 13, p. 14, p. 1519, p. 163, p. 202, p. 2775, p. 33, p. 4421, p. 4847, p. 4864, p. 6948, p. 6948, p. 6950, p. 7815, p. 8962, p. 9047, p. 9115, p. 9469.
- Zoölogical science, or, Nature in living forms adapted to elucidate the chart of the animal kingdom / by A.M. Redfield, and designed for the higher seminaries, common schools, libraries, and the family circle New York: E.B. & E.C. Kellogg, 1858 url p. 422.
- [Ornithological papers] 1876-84. url p. 160, p. 230, p. 35, p. 383.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- Institute of Nature Conservation PAS, National System of Proetcted Areas
- Israel Nature and Parks Authority, Israel Nature and Parks Authority
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, MCZ Ornithology Collection
- National Science Museum of Korea, National Science Museum of Korea Bird
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Birds
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 13807
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-175190
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 175190
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 133196