Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Bush Sparrow, everybody's darling, ground sparrow, ground-bird, hedge sparrow, Marsh Sparrow, red grassbird, silver tongue, Song Sparrow, Swamp Finch
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Chingolo Melodioso, Gorri, Gorrión cantor
Common Names in Swedish:
Adult : Face : Eyebrow Line : broad, grayish Malar : dark Neck: Throat : white Body: Breast: streaked brownish, grayish, or brownish-gray Sides: streaked brownish, grayish, or brownish-gray Underparts: whitish Upperparts: brownish, grayish, or brownish-gray, and usually streaked Legs : Foot Color: pinkish Leg Color: pinkish Tail: Length : long Shape : rounded.
Grayish eyebrow; white throat bordered by a dark stripe ; pale gray to white central crown stripe; variable striping on the head and body; streaking on the neck, flanks, and lower belly; dark central spot on the chest; under parts whitish with streaking; legs and feet pinkish.
About 5.75 to 7.5 inches long, with a wingspan of 8.25 to 12.5 inches. Adults weigh about 0.7 ounces .
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,911 meters (0 to 9,551 feet).
List of Habitats
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.4 Shrubland - Temperate
- 3.6 Shrubland - Subtropical/Tropical Moist
- 4 Grassland
- 4.4 Grassland - Temperate
- 4.5 Grassland - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.1 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Rivers/Streams/Creeks (includes waterfalls )
- 5.5 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Lakes (over 8ha)
- 12 Marine Intertidal
- 12.2 Marine Intertidal - Sandy Shoreline and/or Beaches, Sand Bars , Spits , Etc
- 12.5 Marine Intertidal - Salt Marshes (Emergent Grasses)
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.1 Artificial/Terrestrial - Arable Land
- 14.4 Artificial/Terrestrial - Rural Gardens [more info]
The breeding season
begins in early April, peaks later that month,
and extends into mid-August. Breeding habitat
includes open grassy
areas with scattered
, shrubby residential areas,
hedgerows, and pond
. Early in the season
or near the ground
; later nests are built higher up, usually in small
trees or shrubs.The nest is cup-shaped and constructed from grass
strips, and other plant material
. The female lays
that she incubates for 12-14 days. The young are altricial
9-12 days after hatching
. The young are dependent
for 1-2 weeks after leaving the nest. If the female nests
again after the first group fledges, the male will take care of the
first group of young alone.
- Breeding Habitat: Successional-scrub
- Nest Location: Ground-low nesting
- Nest Type: Open-cup
- Clutch Size: 3-5
- Length of Incubation : 12-14 days
- Days to Fledge: 9-12(-16)
- Number of Broods: 2-3, occasionally 4
Northern birds migrate
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Suborder: Passeres () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) C. Linnaeus, 1766
- Order: Passeriformes () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superorder: Passerimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Melospiza melodia (Wilson, 1810)
Status: Accepted Name
First described: Townsend, C.H. Scientific results of explorations by the U.S. Fish Commission Steamer Albatross. No. XV.-Reptiles from Clarion and Socorro Islands and the Gulf of California, with description of a new species. Proc. US Nat. Mus. 13: 143, 1890.
Last scrutiny: 11-Oct-2007
Savannah Sparrow, Lincoln's Sparrow
Members of the genus Melospiza
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 18 species and subspecies in this genus:
M. georgiana (Swamp Song Sparrow) · M. georgiana ericrypta (Swamp Sparrow) · M. georgiana georgiana (Swamp Sparrow) · M. georgiana nigrescens (Coastal Plain Swamp Sparrow) · M. lincolnii (Lincoln's Song Sparrow) · M. lincolnii alticola (Lincoln's Sparrow) · M. lincolnii lincolnii (Lincoln's Song Sparrow) · M. melodia (Everybody's Darling) · M. melodia amaka (Amak Island Song Sparrow) · M. melodia graminea (Santa Barbara Song Sparrow) · M. melodia insignis (Bischoff's Song Sparrow) · M. melodia maxillaris (Suisun Song Sparrow) · M. melodia maxima (Giant Song Sparrow) · M. melodia melodia (Everybody's Darling) · M. melodia pusillula (Alameda Song Sparrow) · M. melodia rufina (Sooty Song Sparrow) · M. melodia samuelis (San Pablo Song Sparrow) · M. melodia sanaka (Aleutian Song Sparrow)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A List of birds' eggs in the collection of Mr. William Stoate, Wembdon, Bridgewater. [188-?] url p. 23.
- A biological investigation of the Athabaska-Mackenzie region. By Edward A. Preble. .. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1908. url p. 443.
- A biological investigation of the Hudson Bay region. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1902. url .
- A biological survey of the sand dune region on the south shore of Saginaw Bay, Michigan. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Lansing, Mich.: Wynkoop, Hallenbeck, Crawford co., state printers, 1911. url p. 292.
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 230.
- A century of progress in the natural sciences, 1853-1953. San Francisco, 1955. url p. 642.
- A check list of North American birds. Salem, Mass., F.W. Putnam, 1879. url p. 35.
- A check list of Rhode Island nesting birds, with data. [Providence? R.I.], c1908. url p. 23.
- A checklist of the vertebrate animals of Kansas / George D. Potts, Joseph T. Collins. [Lawrence, Kan.]: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1991. url p. 17.
- A distributional list of the birds of Arizona / Hollywood, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, 1914. url .
- A faunal investigation of Prince Edward County, Ontario / Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1941. url p. 90, p. 92.
- A faunal investigation of the Sault Ste. Marie region, Ontario / [Toronto]: Royal Ontario Museum, 1942. url p. 152, p. 153.
- A faunal investigation of western Rainy River District, Ontario / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1938. url p. 213.
- A first book upon the birds of Oregon & Washington: a pocket guide and pupil's assistant in a study of the more common land birds and a few of the shore and water birds of these states / by William Rogers Lord. Portland, Or.: William Rogers Lod, Office of the J.K. Gill Co., 1902 url p. 275.
- A history of North American birds / by S. F. Baird, T. M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. 1 1905 Boston: Little, Brown, 1905. url figure , p. 158, p. 16, p. 18, p. 19, p. 22, p. 24, p. 26, p. 27, p. 29, p. 30, p. 31, p. 58.
- A history of the birds of Colorado, London, Witherby & Co., 1912. url , , , .
- A list of the birds of Hudson highlands: with annotations / by Edgar A. Mearns. [s.l.: s.n.], 1878-1881. url p. 11, p. 38.
- A list of the birds of New Hampshire. By Glover M. Allen Manchester, N.H., Nature press, 1903. url p. 144, p. 214, p. 32.
- A manual of North American birds. By Robert Ridgway. Illustrated by 464 outline drawings of the generic characters. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott Company, 1887. url p. 432.
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Co., 1900. url p. 432.
- A naturalist in the Magdalen Islands: giving a description of the islands and a list of the birds taken there, with other ornithological notes / Boston: C.B. Cory, 1878 url .
- A naturalist's rambles about home. By Charles C. Abbott New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1884 url .
- A popular zoology / by J. Dorman Steele and J.W.P. Jenks. New York: A.S. Barnes & Company, c 1887. url p. 315.
- A preliminary catalog of the birds of Missouri / St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis, 1907. url .
- A preliminary report on the biology of Harding County, northwestern South Dakota / by Stephen S. Visher. Pierre, S.D.: State Publishing Co., 1914. url p. 82.
- A preliminary review of the birds of Nebraska, with synopses, Omaha, 1904 url .
- A revised list of Cincinnati birds. Cincinnati, Barclay, 1879. url , p. 10.
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York City, for the official year. . [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932] url p. 58.
- Across lots, Boston, D. Lothrop company url .
- American birds studied and photographed from life / by William Lovell Finley. Illustrated with photographs by Herman T. Bohlman and the author. New York: Scribner's sons, 1907. url p. 220.
- American birds, studied and photographed from life, by William Lovell Finley; illustrated from photographs by Herman T. Bohlman and the author. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1907. url p. 160.
- Animal Ecology. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall, 1961. url p. 464.
- Animal life in the Yosemite; an account of the mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians in a cross-section of the Sierra Nevada, by Joseph Grinnell and Tracy Irwin Storer. .. Berkeley, Calif., University of California Press, 1924. url , , p. 468, p. 468, p. 469, p. 469.
- Annals of the Entomological Society of America. [College Park, Md., etc.]: Entomological Society of America. url p. 282, p. 77.
- Annotated list of the Avery bird collection in the Alabama museum of natural history (Geological survey museum) University, Ala., 1921. url .
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 126, p. 127, p. 85.
- Annual report of the Minnesota State Horticultural Society. Minneapolis: The Society, 1883-1898. url p. 365.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url .
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 151.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 202.
- Appendices A-E: terrestrial resources injury assessment report: upper Clark Fork River NPL sites. Helena?, Mont.: Dept. of Justice?, 1995 url .
- Ardea. Amsterdam, etc., Nederlandse Ornithlogische Unie, etc. url p. 54.
- Biologia centrali-americana: Aves / [London: R.H. Porter], 1879-1904. url , .
- Biology of New World Microtus / edited by Robert H. Tamarin. [Stillwater, Okla.]: American Society of Mammalogists1985. url p. 616.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 5, October 1990: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN url p. 164.
- Bird blow flies (Protocalliphora) in North America (Diptera: Calliphoridae), with notes on the Palearctic species / Curtis W. Sabrosky, Gordon F. Bennett, and Terry L. Whitworth. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, c1989. url p. 236.
- Bird guide: land birds east of the Rockies from parrots to bluebirds / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1916, c1909. url p. 107, p. 107.
- Bird lore. New York City: Macmillan Co., c1899-c1940. url p. 102.
- Bird notes afield; essays on the birds of the Pacific coast with a field check list, by Charles Keeler; illustrated with reproductions of photographs. San Franciso and New York, P. Elder and company[1907, c1906] url p. 190, p. 191.
- Bird populations in east central Illinois: fluctuations, variations, and development over a half-century / Champaign: University of Illinois Press, c1982. url p. 135.
- Bird-lore. New York, National Association of Audubon Societies. url p. 102, p. 198, p. 198.
- Birds of Algonquin Provincial Park, Ontario / [Toronto: s.n.], 1938. url p. 45.
- Birds of Arkansas. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1911. url , .
- Birds of California: an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies / Chicago: A.C. McClurg, 1912, c1903. url .
- Birds of California; an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies, Chicago, A.C. McClurg, 1916. url .
- Birds of Madison County, New York / by George Charles Embody. Hamilton, N.Y.: [Republican Press], 1901. url p. 25.
- Birds of New York / by Elon Howard Eaton. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1910-1914. url p. 629.
- Birds of Oregon, by Ira N. Gabrielson. .. and Stanley G. Jewett. .. Corvallis, Or., Pub. by Oregon State College through the O.S.C. Cooperative Association[c1940] url p. 593.
- Birds of South Carolina, Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url .
- Birds of South Carolina, by Arthur Trezevant Wayne. With an introduction by the editor. Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url p. 127.
- Birds of South Dakota. By William H. Over and Craig S. Thoms. Vermillion, University of South Dakota, 1920. url p. 116.
- Birds of Washington and vicinity: including adjacent parts of Maryland and Virginia / by Mrs. L. W. Maynard; with introduction by Florence Merriam Bailey. Washington, D. C.: Woodward & Lothrop, 1902. url p. 206, p. 206.
- Birds of a Maryland farm: a local study of economic ornithology / Washington; G.P.O., 1902. url .
- Birds of eastern Canada / Ottawa: F.A. Acland, 1922. url .
- Birds of eastern Canada / Ottawa: J. de L. Tache?, 1919. url .
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa: Acland, 1922. url p. 186, p. 186.
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P.A. Taverner. Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Mines, Geological Survey, 1919. url p. 176.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Tache?, printer, 1919. url p. 176.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P.A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Taché, Printer, 1919. url p. 176.
- Birds of eastern North America, Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & Company, 1912. url .
- Birds of the Boston Public Garden, a study in migration, Boston and New York, Houghton Mifflin co., 1909. url p. 120, p. 234.
- Birds of the Boston Public Garden: a study in migration / by Horace Winslow Wright; with an introduction by Bradford Torrey and illustrations. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co., 1909. url p. 120, p. 120, p. 120, p. 234, p. 234, p. 234.
- Birds of the Boston Public garden, a study in migration, by Horace Winslow Wright; with an introduction by Bradford Torrey and illustrations. Boston and New York, Houghton Mifflin co., 1909. url p. 120, p. 234.
- Birds of the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangel Island = (Ptitsy Chukotskogo poluostrova i ostrova Vrangelya) / L.A. Portenko; translated from Russian [by P.M. Rao]. New Delhi: Published for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C., by Amerind Pub. Co., 1981- url p. 249.
- Birds of the Colorado Valley: a repository of scientific and popular information concerning North American ornithology / by Elliott Coues. Washington: G.P.O., 1878. url p. 743.
- Birds of the Colorado valley. .. scientific and popular information concerning North American ornithology. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1878. url p. 743.
- Birds of the Kansas City region [by] Harry Harris. [St. Louis, Mo.]1919 url p. 302.
- Birds of the New York city region, by Ludlow Griscom, assistant curator of ornithology, with the cooperation of the Linnæan society of New York. .. New York, The Museum, 1923. url p. 284.
- Birds of the Pacific coast, including a brief account of the distribution and habitat of one hundred and eighteen birds that are more or less common to the Pacific coast states and British Columbia, many of which are found east by Willard Ayres Eliot; with fifty-six color plates, by R. Bruce Horsfall. 1923 New York, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1923. url p. 196.
- Birds of the West, an account of the lives and the labors of our feathered friends. Fremont, Neb., Hammond & Stephens, c1907. url p. 56, p. 56.
- Birds of the world; a popular account. With a chapter on the anatomy of birds, by Frederic A. Lucas; the whole edited by Robert Ridgway. New York, Holt, 1909. url p. 840.
- Birds; a miscellaneous collection of 37 pamphlets about birds. Collected and privately bound by Alvin Seale, 1914. v.p., 1910-1913 url p. 53, p. 62.
- Breeding-bird populations in the jack pine and mixed jack pine/deciduous stands in central Ontario / Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum, c1995. url p. 22.
- Brigham Young University science bulletin. 10 1968 Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, [1955-1976] url p. 22, p. 26, p. 46, p. 72.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1952 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 124, p. 191, p. 191, p. 209, fig. 26, p. 31, p. 66, p. 95.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Entomology. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1916. url p. 118, p. 121, p. 130, p. 135, p. 151, p. 153, p. 160, p. 160, p. 29, p. 37, p. 37, p. 40.
- Bulletin of the Bird Club of Princeton University. Princeton, N.J.: The Club, 1901. url , p. 14, p. 15, p. 65.
- Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club. London: The Club, 1893- url p. 182.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences. Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1902-1971. url .
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., Govt. Print. Off., 1913-1923. url p. 14, p. 14, p. 27, p. 41, p. 55.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 131.
- Cassinia. Philadelphia: Delaware Valley Ornithological Club, 1901- url , p. 17, p. 33, p. 66.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. by Charles E. Hellmayr. 13 1938 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1938. url p. 601.
- Catalogue of birds, eggs and nests. Museum Greene Smith, Peterboro, N.Y., July 11, 1880. [s.l., s.n.], 1881 url p. 31.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 277, p. 278, p. 279.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British Museum (Natural History) London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 277, p. 278, p. 279.
- Check-list and bibliography on the occurrence of insects in birds' nests. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 171, p. 173, p. 197, p. 442.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url , , p. 359, p. 482, p. 483, p. 486, p. 488, p. 489, p. 493, p. 495, p. 498, p. 499, p. 500, p. 503, p. 504, p. 505, p. 513, p. 514, p. 515.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 630, p. 632, p. 634, p. 636, p. 658, p. 659, p. 663, p. 664, p. 665, p. 667, p. 668, p. 670, p. 671, p. 672, p. 673, p. 675, p. 676, p. 677, p. 682, p. 683, p. 684.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 711, p. 806.
- College zoology, New York, The Macmillan company, 1912 url p. 615.
- College zoology. New YorkMacmillan1918 url p. 615.
- Compendium of natural features information / Baltimore: The Department, 1975. url p. 169.
- Country cousins; short studies in the natural history of the United States. New York, Harper & brothers, 1884. url .
- Darwinism: an exposition of the theory of natural selection, with some of its applications / by Alfred Russel Wallace. London; Macmillan, 1891. url p. 52.
- Darwinism; an exposition of the theory of natural selection, with some of its applications, by Alfred Russel Wallace. London and New York, Macmillan and co., 1889. url p. 52.
- Days out of doors, New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1889. url .
- Days out of doors, by Charles C. Abbott. .. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1889. url p. 320.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 115, p. 771.
- Directory of zoological taxonomists of the world, compiled by Richard E. and Ruth M. Blackwelder. Carbondale, Ill., Published for the Society of Systematic Zoology by Southern Illinois University Press, 1961. url p. 270.
- Elkhorn Slough Estuarine Sanctuary: proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award for Elkhorn Slough, Monterey County, California / Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1979? url .
- Entomological news, and proceedings of the Entomological Section of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia[Entomological Rooms of the Academy of Natural Sciences] url p. 436.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 453.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 140, p. 286, p. 33.
- Fauna of New England, 11: list of the aves / by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 163, p. 8.
- Fauna of New England. List of the Araneida. Boston, For Society, 1908. url .
- Fauna of New England. by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 163, p. 8.
- Fauna of the Aleutian Islands and Alaska Peninsula, by Olaus J. Murie. Invertebrates and fishes collected in the Aleutians, 1936-38, by Victor B. Scheffer. Washington, Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1959 url , p. 16, p. 254.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 50, p. 90.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1978 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 142, p. 228, p. 266.
- Handbook of birds of the western United States: including the Great Plains, Great Basin, Pacific Slope, and lower Rio Grande Valley / by Florence Merriam Bailey. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1915, c1902. url p. 356, p. 491.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 81.
- Illustrations of the nests and eggs of birds of Ohio: with text / 2 1886 Circleville, Ohio, U.S.A.: [s.n.], 1886 url p. 327.
- In Audubon's Labrador, Boston andHoughton Mifflin Company[c1918] url , p. 352.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 132, p. 1375, p. 22.
- Island life: or, the phenomena and causes of insular faunas and floras, including a revision and attempted solution of the problem of geological climates / London: Macmillan, 1911. url p. 558, p. 58.
- Journal of entomology and zoology. Claremont, Calif., U.S.A.: Pomona College Dept. of Zoology, [1913- url p. 59.
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy, 1998- url p. 170, p. 190.
- Joy of nature: how to observe and appreciate the great outdoors / [editor, Alma E. Guinness]. Pleasantville, N.Y.: Reader's Digest Association, c1977. url p. 342.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and lower California By Elliot Coues. Boston, D. Estes and Company, 1903. url p. 1148.
- Lake Maxinkuckee. A physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann...and Howard Walton Clark... [Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 561.
- Lake Maxinkuckee: a physical and biological survey / by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. Indianapolis: Dept. of Conservation, 1920. url p. 561.
- Land birds of northern New York: a pocket guide to common land birds of the St. Lawrence Valley and the lowlands in general of northern New York / by Edmund J. Sawyer; illustrated by the author. Watertown, N.Y.: Pub. under the auspices of the Watertown Bird Club, 1916. url p. 71.
- List of birds found in West Virginia. Charleston, Tribune Printing Co., 1909. url p. 37.
- List of birds in vicinity of Fishkill-on-Hudson, N.Y. New York: Privately Printed, 1880? url p. 8.
- MAB Information System: Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: Supplement September 1989 UNESCO url .
- Management plan, Robb/Ledford wildlife management area. [Helena]:Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks,  url .
- Manual of the vertebrates of the northern United States, including the district east of the Mississippi River, and north of North Carolina and Tennessee, exclusive of marine species. By David Starr Jordan. .. Chicago, Jansen, McClurg & company, 1880. url p. 87, p. 87.
- Migration of birds. by Frederick C. Linclon; revised by Steven R. Peterson; associate editor Peter A. Anastasi; illustrated by Bob Hines. Washington: Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service: for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1979. url p. 118.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1965 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 51, p. 6, p. 65.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 126, p. 127, p. 99.
- Museum paper / Alabama Museum of Natural History. University, Ala.: Alabama Museum of Natural History, 1910-1960. url p. 91.
- Museum paper. University, Ala. [etc.]1910- url p. 91.
- Natural history. New York: American Museum of Natural History. url p. 317.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 754, p. 754.
- New York State Museum bulletin. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 85.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url , , p. 12, p. 122, p. 16, p. 16, p. 179, p. 254, p. 40, p. 54, p. 57, p. 64.
- Occasional papers - San Diego Society of Natural History. 1959 San Diego, The Society. url p. 38.
- Occasional papers of the Museum of Zoology, University of Michigan. Ann Arbor, Mich.: University of Michigan, 1913- url p. 11.
- Ornithologist and oo?logist Pawtucket, R.I. url p. 44, p. 46.
- Our bird comrades, by Leander S. Keyser. Chicago, Rand, McNally & company, [c1907] url .
- Our birds in their haunts a popular treatise on the birds of eastern North America / by J. Hibbert Langille. Boston: S.E. Cassino, 1884. url .
- Our birds in their haunts: a popular treatise on the birds of eastern North America. New York: Orange Judd Co., 1892. url p. 132, p. 136.
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 299, p. 522.
- Our native birds of song and beauty, being a complete history of all the songbirds, flycatchers, hummingbirds, swifts, goatsuckers, woodpeckers, kingfishers, trogons, cuckoos, and parrots, of North America. Milwaukee, G. Brumder, 1893-96. url .
- Our northern and eastern birds containing descriptions of the birds of the northern and eastern states and British provinces, together with a history of their habits, times of arrival and departure, their distribution, food, song, by Edward A. Samuels. New York: R. Worthington, 1883. url .
- Our northern and eastern birds. Containing descriptions of the birds of the northern and eastern states and British provinces; together with a history of their habits, times of arrival and departure, their distribution, food, song, New York, R. Worthington, 1883. url , , .
- Our northern and eastern birds: containing descriptions of the birds of the northern and eastern states and British provinces; together with a history of their habits, times of arrival and departure, their distribution, food, song, by Edward A. Samuels; with a supplement from Holder's "American fauna." New York: R. Worthington, 1883. url p. 321, p. 372, p. 599.
- P.D. Skaar's Montana bird distribution / revised by Susan Lenard. .. [et al.]. Helena: Montana Natural Heritage Program, 2003. url p. 112.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 124, p. 15, p. 55, p. 56, p. 56, p. 57, p. 57, p. 76, p. 77, p. 90, p. 97.
- Parental care and its evolution in birds. Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1952. url , p. 159, p. 351.
- Photoperiodism and related phenomena in plants and animals; proceedings, edited by Robert B. Withrow, with the cooperation of Arthur C. Giese [and others]. Washington, 1959. url p. 720.
- Postilla. 1968 New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url p. 40.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 300, p. 55.
- Proceedings - Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences. Staten Island, N.Y., Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences. url p. 246.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 117, p. 120, p. 122, p. 329, p. 37, p. 764.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url , p. 13, p. 285, p. 300, p. 412, p. 504, p. 510, p. 517, p. 55, p. 592, p. 598, p. 645, p. 657, p. 773, p. 774.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 368.
- Proceedings of the Manchester Institute of Arts and Sciences. Manchester, N.H.: The Institute, 1900-1911. url p. 214, p. 32.
- Proceedings of the Nebraska Ornithologists' Union. Lincoln, [1900-15] url p. 28, p. 28, p. 57, p. 72.
- Proceedings of the New England Zoo?logical Club. [Cambridge, Mass.]: The Club, 1899- url p. 86, p. 86.
- Publication. Field Museum of Natural History. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1910-1943. url , , , , p. 196, p. 208, p. 601.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 14, p. 14, p. 15, p. 154, p. 20, p. 23.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 107, p. 110, p. 111, p. 112, p. 124, p. 128, p. 135, p. 143, p. 154, p. 157, p. 158, p. 160, p. 172.
- Report of the United States Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year. .. with appendixes Washington: G.P.O., 1914- url p. 107.
- Report on the locusts of the San Joaquin valley, Cal., by D.W. Coquillett. [Anaheim, Calif.]1886. url p. 12.
- Report on the progress and condition of the U.S. National Museum for the year ending June 30. .. / Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum. Washington: G.P.O., 1907-1951. url p. 143.
- Report upon cotton insects, prepared under the direction of the commissioner of agriculture in pursuance of an act of Congress approved June 19, 1878. By J. Henry Comstock, entomologist to the Department of agriculture. Washington: Gov't. print. off., 1879. url p. 142, p. 142, p. 162, p. 505.
- Report upon natural history collections made in Alaska: between the years 1877 and 1881 / by Edward W. Nelson; edited by Henry W. Henshaw; prepared under the direction of the chief signal officer. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1887. url p. 211.
- Robb/Ledford Wildlife management area: draft management plan. Helena, MT: Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks, 1999 url .
- Rock River area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, Natural History Survey Division, in conjunction with State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, IL: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1996- url p. 134.
- Sand dunes and salt marshes / by Charles Wendell Townsend. Boston: L.C. Page & company, c1925. url p. 310.
- Sand dunes and salt marshes, Boston, D. Estes & company[c1913] url .
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 264, p. 303, p. 846.
- Sex and internal secretions. Contributors: A. Albert [and others] Foreword by George W. Corner. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1961. url p. 1360, p. 1562.
- Significance of white markings in birds of the order Passeriformes. By Henry Chester Tracy. Berkeley, The University press(1910). url p. 301.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 151.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 10, p. 134, p. 7.
- Station bulletin. Durham, N.H.: Agricultural Experiment Station, University of New Hampshire, 1948- url p. 44, p. 45, p. 47, p. 62.
- Supplement to the code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds. adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; prepared by a Committee of the Union. New York: The Union, 1889-1920. url p. 301, p. 304, p. 305, p. 340, p. 350, p. 351, p. 379, p. 386.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 21, p. 32.
- Terrestrial resources injury assessment report: upper Clark Fork River Basin / [S.l.: RCG/Hagler, Bailly, Inc.?, 1995 url .
- Territorial and mating behavior of the house wren, with 32 figures, Urbana, The University of Illinois Press, 1941. url p. 33.
- The American farmer; a complete agricultural library, with useful facts for the household, devoted to farming in all its departments and details. .. / ed. by Charles L. Flint. ..; illus. with over six hundred engravings. Hartford, Conn.: R.H. Park, 1882. url p. 941.
- The American midland naturalist. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame. url p. 153, p. 300.
- The American oologists' exchange price list of North American birds' eggs, 1922 / compiled by a committee of twenty-five prominent American oologists. Lacon, Ill.: R. Magoon Barnes, 1922. url p. 74, p. 75.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url , , p. 117, p. 14, p. 150, p. 150, p. 151, p. 174, p. 175, p. 183, p. 211, p. 212, p. 214, p. 235, p. 235, p. 237, p. 257, p. 268, p. 27, p. 276, p. 283, p. 297, p. 304, p. 305, p. 317, p. 318, p. 325, p. 340, p. 343, p. 346, p. 350, p. 350, p. 351, p. 36, p. 362, p. 369, p. 379, p. 380, p. 386, p. 395, p. 397, p. 399, p. 408, p. 41, p. 448, p. 453, p. 470, p. 505, p. 518, p. 54, p. 93.
- The Canadian bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred north American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Toronto: Musson Book Co., c1914. url p. 354, p. 355.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 35 1921 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , , fig. 1 , tufts , cole , hohn , , fig. 2 , moore , mousley , title page, no. 5 , , p. 10, p. 103, p. 105, p. 11, p. 114, p. 114, p. 115, p. 115, p. 117, p. 12, p. 12, p. 120, p. 120, p. 121, p. 128, p. 128, p. 129, p. 131, p. 133, p. 133, p. 135, p. 138, p. 140, p. 146, p. 147, p. 148, p. 148, p. 151, p. 152, p. 154, p. 16, p. 16, p. 16, p. 164, p. 164, p. 165, p. 165, p. 165, p. 173, p. 176, p. 179, p. 180, p. 184, p. 195, p. 196, p. 213, p. 213, p. 215, p. 235, p. 24, p. 24, p. 240, p. 252, p. 261, p. 276, p. 277, p. 29, p. 311, p. 325, p. 38, p. 39, p. 39, p. 391, p. 393, p. 394, p. 406, p. 425, p. 429, p. 43, p. 43, p. 430, p. 432, p. 434, p. 437, p. 440, p. 460, p. 471, p. 471, p. 473, p. 483, p. 484, p. 487, p. 49, p. 490, p. 5, p. 51, p. 518, p. 522, p. 53, p. 55, p. 555, p. 56, p. 581, p. 6, p. 601, p. 602, p. 608, p. 616, p. 62, p. 633, p. 641, p. 644, p. 646, p. 65, p. 65, p. 652, p. 678, p. 70, p. 73, p. 776, p. 78, p. 81, p. 84, p. 90, p. 93, p. 94, p. iv.
- The Coues check list of North American birds. Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url p. 53, p. 53.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 57 1997 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url cicero, page 104, p. 248, p. 286, p. 335, p. 339, p. 486, p. 523, p. 53, p. 615, p. 736.
- The IUCN Mammal Red Data Book. Part 1: threatened mammalian taxa of the Americas and the Australasian zoogeographic region (excluding Cetacea) IUCN url p. 239, p. 239.
- The Journal of the Maine Ornithological Society. Bangor: Maine Ornithological Society, 1899-1911. url p. 30, p. 97.
- The Journal of the Museum of Comparative Oology. Santa Barbara, Calif.: The Museum, 1919-1922 url p. 27.
- The National geographic magazine. Washington: National Geographic Society, 1888-1959. url p. 681.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 144.
- The Oo?logist for the student of birds, their nests and eggs. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886- url , , p. 120, p. 138.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 146, p. 146, p. 157, p. 157, p. 165, p. 165, p. 172, p. 202, p. 202, p. 233, p. 233.
- The Pacific coast races of the Bewick wren, by Harry S. Swarth. San Francisco, The Academy, 1916. url p. 55.
- The Proceedings and transactions of the Nova Scotian Institute of Science. Halifax, Nova Scotian Institute of Science. url , p. 87.
- The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science. Des moines, Iowa: The Academy, [1889-1987] url p. 101, p. 81.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 36 1954 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 111, p. 1293, p. 1393, p. 97.
- The Wilson bulletin. Columbus, OH: Wilson Ornithological Society url p. 130, p. 132, p. 139, p. 146, p. 15, p. 241, p. 51, p. 56, p. 79, p. 95.
- The bird book, illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs, Worcester, Mass., C. K. Reed, 1914. url .
- The bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds; also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1915. url p. 354, p. 355.
- The birds of Illinois and Wisconsin / by Charles B. Cory. Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1909. url p. 196, p. 208, p. 601, p. 728, p. 729, p. 737, p. 757.
- The birds of Massachusetts, Cambridge, Mass., 1901. url .
- The birds of Massachusetts, by Reginald Heber Howe and Glover Morrill Allen. Cambridge, Mass., 1901. url p. 120, p. 120.
- The birds of New England and adjacent states. ..: arranged by a long-approved classification and nomenclature. .. with illustrations of many species of the birds, and accurate figures of their eggs / by Edward A. Samuels; with an appendix containing supplementary notes. Boston: Lockwood, Brooks, 1880. url p. 321, p. 372, p. 590.
- The birds of New Jersey / by Witmer Stone. Trenton: J.L. Murphy Pub. Co., 1909. url , p. 239.
- The birds of North America: one hundred and nineteen artistic colored plates representing the different species and varieties drawn and colored from nature: including a copious text giving a popular account of their habits and 1903 New York: Published under the auspices of the Natural Science Association of America, 1903. url p. 148, p. 152, p. 153, p. 4.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- The birds of Ohio; a complete scientific and popular description of the 320 species of birds found in the state, Columbus, The Wheaton Publishing Co., 1903, [c1902] url .
- The birds of Ohio; a revised catalogue, [Columbus?]Academy of Science, 1903. url .
- The birds of Washington; a complete, scientific and popular account of the 372 species of birds found in the state, by William Leon Dawson, assisted by John Hooper Bowles. Illustrated by more than 300 original half-tones of birds in life, nests, eggs, and favorite haunts, from photographs by the author and others, Seattle: The Occidental Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 139.
- The birds of eastern North America: with original descriptions of all the species which occur east of the Mississippi River, between the Arctic circle and the Gulf of Mexico, with full notes upon their habits, etc., / by C.J. Maynard... Newtonville, Mass.: C.J. Maynard & co., 1896. url , p. 499.
- The birds of the Chicago area, by Frank Morley Woodruff. .. [Chicago, Printed by Jennings and Graham]1907. url p. 143.
- The birds of the Lake St. Martin region, Manitoba / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1937. url p. 50.
- The birds of the Red Deer River, Alberta. n.p., n.d. url p. 257.
- The birds of the vicinity of Lake Nipissing, Ontario / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum], 1939. url p. 24.
- The book of birds, common birds of town and country and American game birds, by Henry W. Henshaw. Illustrated in natural colors with 250 paintings, by Louis Agassiz Fuertes; with chapters of "Encouraging birds around the home, " by F. H. Kennard; "The mysteries of bird migratio 1918 Washington, D. C.: National Geographic Society, 1918. url p. 14.
- The book of birds; common birds of town and country and American game birds, by Henry W. Henshaw; illustrated in natural colors with 250 paintings by Louis Agassiz Fuertes. Washington, D.C., National geographic society url p. 14.
- The book of woodcraft and Indian lore, with over 500 drawings by the author, Ernest Thompson Seton. .. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & Company, 1922. url p. 263, p. 585.
- The book of woodcraft, Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & company, 1912. url p. 347, p. 561.
- The book of woodcraft. .. New York, The Sun dial press, inc. url p. 585.
- The changing Illinois environment: critical trends: technical report of the Critical Trends Assessment Project. Springfield, Ill.: Ill. Dept. of Energy and Natural Resources, 1994. url p. 150.
- The crane-flies of New York. [Ithaca]1919-1920. url p. 724.
- The ecology of Tijuana Estuary, California: a national estuarine research reserve / by Joy B. Zedler, Christopher S. Nordby and Barbara E. Kus. [Washington, D.C.: NOAA Office of Coastal Resource Management, Sanctuaries and Reserves Division], 1992. url p. 30.
- The experimental method of testing the efficiency of warning and cryptic coloration in protecting animals from their enemies, [PhiladelphiaAcademy of Natural Sciences]1912. url .
- The hebes group of the Dipterous genus Tipula linnaeus / Philadelphia?: American Entomological Society, 1914 url p. 130.
- The influence of distribution and ecology on the thermoregulation of small birds. 1970. url , p. 10.
- The naturalist of the Saint Croix. Memoir of George A. Boardman. A selection from his correspondence and published writings, notices of friends and contemporaries, with his list of the birds of Maine and New Brunswick. By Samuel Lane Boardman... Bangor, Priv. print., 1903. url p. 304, p. 304, p. 304.
- The naturalist's guide in collecting and preserving objects of natural history. By C. J. Maynard. Boston: C. J. Maynard and Company, 1887. url p. 28.
- The oo?logist's record. London, Harrison and Sons, - url p. 94.
- The origin of the fittest: essays on evolution. New York: D. Appleton, 1887. url p. 16.
- The ornithology of Illinois / [by Robert Ridgway and S.A. Forbes]. Springfield, Ill., H.W. Rokker, printer, 1889-1895. url p. 283, p. 285.
- The ornithology of Illinois. Part I. Descriptive catalogue. By Robert Ridgway. Part II. Economic ornithology. By S. A. Forbes. Pub. by the authority of the state Legislature. Springfield, Ill.: H. W. Rokker, printer, 1889-95. url p. 283, p. 285, p. 285.
- The summer birds of Sudbury district, Ontario / [Toronto]: Printed by University of Toronto Press, 1947. url p. 31, p. 32.
- The summer birds of Yakutat Bay, Alaska / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1939. url p. 29.
- The summer birds of the northeast shore of Lake Superior, Ontario / [Toronto]: Printed by the University of Toronto Press, 1943. url p. 27.
- The summit of the years, by John Burroughs. Boston andHoughton Mifflin company, 1913. url p. 297.
- The vertebrates of the Cayuga Lake basin, N. Y., n.p., 1909? url .
- Threatened wildlife of the United States. Washington, Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.]1973. url p. 206.
- Trails and tramps in Alaska and Newfoundland, by William S. Thomas. .. with one hundred and forty-seven illustrations from original photographs. London, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1913. url p. 286.
- Transactions of the Illinois State Academy of Science. Springfield, Ill., Illinois State Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 198.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 239.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 6 1931 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 332.
- Travels and traditions of waterfowl. Minneapolis, University of Minnesota Press url p. 288.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 105, p. 269, p. 334, p. 6, p. 88, p. 92, p. 95.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 1 1947 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 212, p. 213, p. 353, p. 463, p. 514, p. 603, p. 612, p. 614, p. 615, p. 621, p. 656, p. 660, p. 663, p. 757.
- Upland and meadow: a Poaetquissings chronicle / by Charles C. Abbott.. New York: Harper & Brothers, 1886. url p. 396.
- Variation in Bonasa umbellus, with particular reference to the species in Canada east of the Rockies / [Toronto]: Printed by the University of Toronto Press, 1946. url p. 121, p. 133.
- Visitors' guide to the collection of birds in the American Museum of Natural History. .. New York, Printed for the Museum, 1888. url p. 61.
- Washington State Coastal Zone Management Program amendment no. 3: approval of the Grays Harbor estuary management plan: program draft environmental impact statement. [Olympia, Wash.?]: Grays Harbor Regional Planning Commission; 1983. url p. 9.
- Waste-land wanderings / by Charles C. Abbott. New York; Harper & brothers, 1887. url p. 308.
- Waste-land wanderings, by Charles C. Abbott. New York, Harper & Brothers, 1887. url p. 308.
- Waste-land wanderings. New York, Harper, 1887. url .
- Western birds, by Harriet Williams Myers. New York, The Macmillan company, 1922. url p. 195.
- Wild birds in city parks; being hints on identifying 200 birds, prepared primarily for the spring migration in Lincoln Park, Chicago, but adapted to other localities, by Herbert Eugene Walter and Alice Hall Walter. [St. Johnsbury, Vt., Press of the St. Johnsbury republican co.]1910. url p. 38.
- With the birds in Maine, Boston and New York, Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1904. url .
- Wood notes wild, notations of bird music; by Simeon Pease Cheney. .. Collected and arranged with appendix, notes, bibliography and general index, by John Vance Cheney. .. Boston, Lee and Shepard, 1892. url , p. 23, p. 253.
- Yosemite nature notes. [Yosemite National Park, Calif.: Yosemite Natural History Association url p. 139.
- [Collected reprints, 1911-1931. s.l., s.n., 19--] url , , , , , , , , , .
- [Report of a voyage made to the Canadian Labrador coast; Catalogue of plants and birds of the north shore] [D. N. Saint-Cyr]. Québec?: s.n., 1887? url .
- BirdLife International 2009. Melospiza melodia. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 02February2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 14, 2008:
- Avian Knowledge Network: eBird
- Avian Knowledge Network: Great Backyard Bird Count
- Avian Knowledge Network: Project FeederWatch
- Bird Studies Canada: Marsh Monitoring Program - Birds
- Bird Studies Canada: Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 1981-1985
- Bird Studies Canada: Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 2001-2005
- Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: North West Territories and Nunavut Bird Checklist, Canada
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds (Aves)
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Royal British Columbia Museum
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Bird Collection
- Cornell University Museum of Vertebrates: Bird Collection
- EMAN Provider: PIROP (Shipboard Surveys)
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology: Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- New Brunswick Museum: NBM birds
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History: Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- The New York Botanical Garden: Bronx River Bioblitz
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM: CNAV/Coleccion Nacional de Aves
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ): Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 7267
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-179519
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2496811
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 179492
- IUCN ID: 222693
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABPBXA3010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 902