Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
acorn woodpecker, acorn-storing, ant-eating woodpecker, California woodpecker, Mearns' woodpecker, narrow-fronted woodpecker, San Pedro woodpecker
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Spanish:
Length : 8 inches.
Vegetation: tropical lowland evergreen forest, pine-oak forests, tropical lowland evergreen forest, pine forests, montaine evergreen forests • Maximum Elevation: 3,300 meters • Foraging Strata: Canopy • Center of Abundance: Middle montane: mountains, middle range, 1,600-2,600 m. • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Low
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,809 meters (0 to 9,216 feet).
List of Habitats
- 1 Forest
- 1.4 Forest - Temperate
- 1.5 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 1.9 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Montane
- 4 Grassland
- 4.4 Grassland - Temperate
- 4.5 Grassland - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.2 Artificial/Terrestrial - Pastureland [more info]
- Breeding Habitat : Woodland
- Nest Type : Cavity
- Clutch Size: 4-6
- Length of Incubation : 11-12 days
- Days to Fledge : 30-32
- Number of Broods: 1, rarely 2
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- Meyer & Wolf, 1810
- Suborder: Pici () - Meyer & Wolf, 1810
- Order: Piciformes () - Meyer & Wolf, 1810
- Superorder: Passerimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Melanerpes formicivorus (Swainson, 1827)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 27-Dec-2005
White-headed Woodpecker lacks white rump and has an entirely white face and crown, and a black belly. The only medium-sized woodpecker with pale eyes.
Members of the genus Melanerpes
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 42 species and subspecies in this genus:
M. aurifrons (Golden-Fronted Woodpecker) · M. aurifrons aurifrons (Golden-Fronted Woodpecker) · M. aurifrons insulanus (Golden-Fronted Woodpecker) · M. cactorum (White-Fronted Woodpecker) · M. candidus (White Woodpecker) · M. carolinus (Red-Bellied Woodpecker) · M. carolinus carolinus (Red-Bellied Woodpecker) · M. chrysauchen (Golden-Naped Woodpecker) · M. chrysauchen chrysauchen (Golden-Naped Woodpecker) · M. chrysogenys (Golden-Cheeked Woodpecker) · M. chrysogenys chrysogenys (Golden-Cheeked Woodpecker) · M. cruentatus (Tellow-Tufted Woodpecker) · M. cruentatus cruentatus (Yellow Tufted Woodpecker) · M. erythrocephalus (Tricolored Woodpecker) · M. erythrocephalus caurinus (Red-Headed Woodpecker) · M. erythrocephalus erythrocephalus (Red-Headed Woodpecker) · M. flavifrons (Yellow-Fronted Woodpecker) · M. formicivorus (Narrow-Fronted Woodpecker) · M. formicivorus angustifrons (Acorn Woodpecker) · M. formicivorus bairdi (Acorn Woodpecker) · M. formicivorus formicivorus (Acorn Woodpecker) · M. formicivorus lineatus (Acorn Woodpecker) · M. formicivorus martirensis (Acorn Woodpecker) · M. herminieri (Guadeloupe Woodpecker) · M. hoffmanni (Hoffmann's Woodpecker) · M. hoffmannii (Hoffmann's Woodpecker) · M. hypopolius (Gray-Breasted Woodpecker) · M. lewis (Lewis's Woodpecker) · M. portoricensis (Puerto Rican Woodpecker) · M. pucherani (Black-Cheeked Woodpecker) · M. pulcher (Beautiful Woodpecker) · M. pygmaeus (Red-Vented Woodpecker) · M. pygmaeus pygmaeus (Red-Vented Woodpecker) · M. radiolatus (Jamaican Woodpecker) · M. rubricapillus (Red-Crowned Woodpecker) · M. rubricapillus rubricapillus (Red-Crowned Woodpecker) · M. striatus (Hispaniolan Woodpecker) · M. superciliaris (West Indian Red-Bellied Woodpecker) · M. superciliaris superciliaris (West Indian Red-Bellied Woodpecker) · M. uropygialis (Brewster's Woodpecker) · M. uropygialis brewsteri (Gila Woodpecker) · M. uropygialis uropygialis (Gila Woodpecker)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 397.
- A check list of North American birds. Salem, Mass., F.W. Putnam, 1879. url p. 63.
- A dictionary of birds, by Alfred Newton, assisted by Hans Gadow, with contributions from Richard Lydekker. .. Charles S. Roy. .. and Robert W. Shufeldt. .. London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 1048, p. 1048.
- A distributional list of the birds of Arizona / Hollywood, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, 1914. url , , .
- A geographic classification of Neotropical mammals. 36 1958 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1958. url p. 642.
- A history of North American birds / by S. F. Baird, T. M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Boston: Little, Brown, 1905. url p. 560, p. 561, p. 566, p. 573.
- A history of North American birds land birds / by S. F. Baird, T.M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Boston: Little, Brown, 1874. url , , p. 566, p. 573.
- A history of North American birds, by S.F. Baird, T.M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Land birds, illustrated by 64 chromo-lithographic plates and 593 woodcuts. Boston, Little, Brown, 1875. url p. 560, p. 561, p. 566, p. 573.
- A history of birds / London: Methuen & Co.,  url .
- A manual of North American birds by Robert Ridgway. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1887. url .
- A manual of North American birds. By Robert Ridgway. Illustrated by 464 outline drawings of the generic characters. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott company, 1896. url p. 618.
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Co., 1900. url p. 597, p. 618.
- A study of the structure of feathers, with reference to their taxonomic significance, by Asa C. Chandler. Berkeley, University of California press, 1916. url p. 380, p. 438.
- American bird magazine, ornithology. Worcester, Mass.: C.K. Reed, 1903-1906. url p. 80.
- American ornithology, for home and school. [Worcester, Mass.: Charles K. Reed], 1901-. url .
- Animal intelligence / By George J. Romanes. New York: D. Appleton, 1888. url p. 285.
- Animal intelligence / by George J. Romanes. London: K. Paul, Trench, 1882. url p. 285.
- Animal intelligence. By George J. Romanes. .. New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1883. url p. 285, p. 512.
- Animal studies; a text-book of elementary zoology for use in high schools and colleges, by David Starr Jordan. .. Vernon Lyman Kellogg. .. and Harold Heath. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1903. url .
- Animate creation: popular edition of "Our living world": a natural history / by the Rev. J.G. Wood. New York: Selmar Hess, c1898. url p. 418.
- Animate creation; popular edition of "Our Living World" a natural history, by the Rev. J. G. Wood. Revised and adapted to American zoology, by Joseph B. Holder. New York, S. Hess url p. 418.
- Annual report of the regents of the university of the state of New York on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History and the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 13.
- Biologia centrali-americana: Aves / [London: R.H. Porter], 1879-1904. url , , .
- Bird behaviour, psychical and physiological; by Frank Finn. With 44 illustrations on art paper. London, Hutchinson url p. 311.
- Birds / by A.H. Evans. London: Macmillan, 1899 (1909 printing). url p. 461.
- Birds / by Spencer Fullerton Baird; with the co-operation of John Cassin and George N. Lawrence. Washington, D.C., 1858. url p. 114.
- Birds of California: an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies / Chicago: A.C. McClurg, 1912, c1903. url .
- Birds of California; an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies, by Irene Grosvenor Wheelock. .. with ten full-page plates and seventy-eight drawings in the text by Bruce Horsfall. Chicago, A. C. McClurg & co.1904. url p. 377.
- Birds of the Colorado Valley: a repository of scientific and popular information concerning North American ornithology / by Elliott Coues. Washington: G.P.O., 1878. url p. 639, p. 652, p. 681.
- Birds of the Colorado valley. .. scientific and popular information concerning North American ornithology. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1878. url p. 639, p. 652.
- Birds of the Northwest: a hand-book of the ornithology of the region drained by the Missouri River and its tributaries / by Elliott Coues. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1874. url p. 288.
- Birds of western and northwestern Mexico. Boston, Published by the Society, 1874. url .
- Birds. Collected excerpts from v. 10 of Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. [n. p., 19--?] url .
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 105, p. 106, p. 108, p. 111, p. 217, p. 241, p. 3, p. 34, p. 54, p. 65, p. 69, p. 71, p. 827, p. 831, p. 85.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1972 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url fig. 37.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 165, p. 34, p. 472.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 18, p. 347.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute. url p. 172.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 105, p. 105, p. 148, p. 148, p. 230, p. 230.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 256, p. 653, p. 655, p. 657, p. 658.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 172.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 117, p. 126.
- Cassell's book of birds: From the text of Dr. Brehm / London, Cassell, Petter and Galpin, [1875?] url p. 310.
- Cassell's natural history. Ed. by P. Martin Duncan. .. London [etc]Cassell & Company, Limited, 1891-96. url p. 403.
- Catalogue of North American birds, chiefly in the Museum of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington, Smithsonian Institution, 1859. url .
- Catalogue of a collection of American birds / belonging to Philip Lutley Sclater. London: N. Trubner and Co., 1862. url p. 341.
- Catalogue of a collection of birds from Guatemala, by Ned Dearborn. 1 1907 Chicago, 1907. url p. 92.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. by Charles B. Cory. 13 1919 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1919. url p. 427.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. CambridgeUniversity Press1908-14 url p. 734.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 149, p. 151, p. 154, p. 569.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British Museum (Natural History) London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 146.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 192, p. 388.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url , .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 319, p. 658, p. 660, p. 668, p. 675.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 383.
- Color key to North American birds, with bibliographical appendix, by Frank M. Chapman. .. with upwards of 800 drawings, by Chester A. Reed, B.S. New York, D. Appleton & Company, 1912. url p. 153.
- Contents and index to volume 1 / Charles B. Cory. 1 1917 Chicago: Natural History Museum, 1917. url p. 356.
- Elements of zoology. By Charles Frederick Holder. .. and James Bassett Holder. New York: American book company, [c1885] url p. 276.
- Elements of zoology. New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1886. url .
- Evolution of the colors of North American land birds, San Francisco, California, Academy of Sciences, 1893. url , , .
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 855.
- Exploration and survey of the Valley of the Great Salt Lake of Utah: including a reconnoissance of a new route through the Rocky Mountains / Philadelphia: Lippincott, Gramabo & Co., 1852. url p. 333.
- Exploration and survey of the valley of the Great Salt Lake of Utah, including a reconnoissance of a new route through the Rocky Mountains. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Grambo & Co., 1852. url p. 333.
- Field ornithology comprising a manual of instruction for procuring, preparing and preserving birds and a check list of North American birds / by Elliott Coues. Boston: Estes & Lauriat, 1874. url .
- Field ornithology. Comprising a manual of instruction for procuring, preparing and preserving birds, and a check list of North American birds Salem [Mass.]Naturalists' Agency, 1874 url p. 63.
- Food of some well-known birds of forest, farm, and garden, Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1912. url .
- "Forest and stream" bird notes. An index and summary of all the ornithological matter contained in "Forest and Stream." Vols. I-XII. Compiled by H.B. Bailey. New York, Forest and Stream, 1881. url p. 28.
- Handbook of birds of the western United States: including the Great Plains, Great Basin, Pacific Slope, and lower Rio Grande Valley / by Florence Merriam Bailey. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1915, c1902. url p. 216, p. 217.
- Handbook of field and general ornithology; a manual of the structure and classification of birds, London, Macmillan, 1890. url .
- Handbuch der Biologie der Wirbeltiere. Von Dr. M. Hilzheimer. unter Mitwirkung von Dr. Phil. O. Haempel. mikt 599 Textabbildungen. vii, 756 p.illus (part col.)26 cm. url p. 744.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url , , , p. 126, p. 137, p. 162, p. 394, p. 648.
- Illustrations of the birds of California, Texas, Oregon, British and Russian America.: Intended to contain descriptions and figures of all North American birds not given by former American authors, and a general synopsis of North American ornithology. / By John Cassin, member of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia; of the American Philosophical Society; of the Horticultural Society of Pennsylvania; of the National Institute; of the South 1862 Philadelphia:: J.B. Lippincott & Co., 1862. url p. 11, p. 201, index, page 293, p. 295, p. 7.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 111, p. 18.
- Journal of morphology. Boston: Ginn & Co., [1887-1924] url p. 271.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and Lower California Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1896. url p. 183.
- Life histories of North American birds, from the parrots to the grackles, with special reference to their breeding habits and eggs, Washington, Smithsonian Institution, 1895. url .
- List of the specimens of birds in the collection of the British Museum / [by G. R. Gray.] London: printed by the order of the Trustees, 1844-1867. url p. 115, p. 116.
- Mammals of the Mexican boundary of the United States: a descriptive catalogue of the species of mammals occurring in that region; with a general summary of the natural history, and a list of trees / Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1907. url .
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url map 38, page 120, p. 271, p. xvi.
- Mental evolution in animals, By George John Romanes; with a posthumous essay on instinct; by Charles Darwin. New York: D. Appleton, 1884. url p. 255, p. 397.
- Natural history. A manual of zoölogy for schools, colleges, and the general reader / By Sanborn Tenney. New York: Scribner, Armstrong & co., c1872. url .
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 510.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 230, p. 38.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds, Philadelphia, D. McKay[c1900] url .
- Nomenclature of North American birds chiefly contained in the United States National Museum. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1881. url , .
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 132, p. 175, p. 91.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 345, p. 346, p. 6.
- Ornithological bibliography. [Washington: Geological Survey [etc.], 1878-1880. url p. 653, p. 657.
- Ornithological gazetteer of Colombia / Raymond A. Paynter, Jr. Cambridge, Mass.: Bird Dept., Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, 1997. url p. 506, p. 507.
- Ornithology. edited by S.F. Baird, from the manuscript and notes of J.G. Cooper. [Cambridge, Mass., University press] pub. by authority of the Legislature [of California]1870. url p. 403.
- Our living world; an artistic edition of the Rev. J. G. Wood's Natural history of animate creation. New York: S. Hess,  url p. 418, p. 655.
- Our native birds of song and beauty, being a complete history of all the songbirds, flycatchers, hummingbirds, swifts, goatsuckers, woodpeckers, kingfishers, trogons, cuckoos, and parrots, of North America. Milwaukee, G. Brumder, 1893-96. url .
- Pacific States Floral Congress. [Papers] Edited by the Committee on Publication: Emory E. Smith [and others. San Francisco: Academy of sciences, 1901?] url p. 160.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 127, p. 127, p. 26, p. 34, p. 34, p. 39, p. 39, p. 81, p. 9.
- Part I. Palæontology. By F. B. Meek. Part II. Palæontology. By James Hall and R. P. Whitfield. Part III. Ornithology. By Robert Ridgway... Washington, Govt. print. off., 1877. url p. 332, p. 388.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 400.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 105, p. 190, p. 328, p. 328, p. 55, p. 91, p. 91.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 507, p. 92, p. 93, p. 94.
- Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston [etc.]Boston Society of Natural History. url , p. 93.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 400, p. 587.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of London. London, Published for the Linnean Society of London by Academic Press [etc.], 1848-1968. url p. 13, p. 60.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 8 1885 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 111, p. 158, p. 189, p. 190, p. 390, p. 391, p. 430, p. 497, p. 505, p. 591, p. 594, p. 685, p. 690.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 127, p. 127, p. 143, p. 177, p. 2, p. 213, p. 301, p. 305, p. 307, p. 367, p. 463, p. 49, p. 508, p. 630, p. 854.
- Publication. Field Museum of Natural History. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1910-1943. url p. 427.
- Report of the Geological Exploration of the Fortieth Parallel, made by order of the Secretary of War according to acts of Congress of March 2, 1867, and March 3, 1869 / Washington: Government Printing Office, 1870-1880. url p. 332, p. 336, p. 553.
- Report of the Geological exploration of the fortieth parallel made by order of the Secretary of War according to acts of Congress of March 2, 1867, and March 3, 1869, under the direction of. .. A.A. Humphreys, chief of engineers, by Clarence King, U.S. geologist Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1870-80 url p. 332.
- Report of the geological exploration of the fortieth parallel / Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1870-80 url p. 332, p. 336, p. 388, p. 553.
- Report on the progress and condition of the U.S. National Museum for the year ending June 30. .. / Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum. Washington: G.P.O., 1907-1951. url p. 124.
- Report upon United States Geographical Surveys West of the One Hundredth Meridian / Washington [D.C.]: G.P.O., 1875-1889. url p. 137, p. 399.
- Report upon ornithological specimens collected in the years 1871, 1872, and 1873 / U. S. Army, Engineer Dept., Geographical and Geological Explorations and Surveys West of the One hundredth Meridian; [by H.C. Yarrow and H.W. Henshaw]. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1874. url p. 134.
- Report upon the ornithological collections made in portions of Nevade, Utah, California, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona, during the years 1871, 1872, 1873, and 1874, by H.W. Henshaw. Washington, D.C., 1875 url p. 399.
- Results of a biological survey of Mount Shasta, California, Washington, Govt Print. Off., 1899. url .
- Results of a biological survey of mount Shasta, California, by C. Hart Merriam, chief of Divison of Biological Survey. Washington, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture. Div. of Biological Survey: 1899. url p. 116.
- Smithsonian contributions to knowledge. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1848-1916. url p. 509.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 56 1912 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 14, p. 189, p. 3, p. 389, p. 430, p. 505, p. 550, p. 602.
- Special bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1892- url p. 112.
- Spixiana. München: Zoologische Staatssammlung München, 1977- url p. 181, p. 184.
- Supplement to the code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds. adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; prepared by a Committee of the Union. New York: The Union, 1889-1920. url p. 120.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 22.
- The American oologists' exchange price list of North American birds' eggs, 1922 / compiled by a committee of twenty-five prominent American oologists. Lacon, Ill.: R. Magoon Barnes, 1922. url p. 62.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url , p. 193, p. 397.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 120, p. 120, p. 132, p. 202, p. 209, p. 245, p. 251, p. 292, p. 354, p. 374, p. 421, p. 443, p. 443, p. 476, p. 88.
- The Cambridge natural history / edited by S. F. Harmer and A. E. Shipley. London: Macmillan and Co.; 1895-1909. url p. 458, p. 461.
- The Cambridge natural history, London, Macmillan and Co., Limited;1895-1909 url , .
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, The Macmillan, Company, 1895-1909 url p. 461.
- The Canadian bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred north American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Toronto: Musson Book Co., c1914. url p. 256.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 311, p. 315, p. 696.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 1042.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 332.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 41 1981 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 267, p. 765, p. 767.
- The Osprey. Galesburg, Ill.: The Osprey Co., 1897-1902. url p. 82.
- The Popular science monthly. New York, Popular Science Pub. Co., etc. url p. 137.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 4 1908 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 379, p. 511.
- The Warbler. Floral Park: Mayflower Pub. Co., [1903-1913] url p. 84.
- The birds of North America: one hundred and nineteen artistic colored plates representing the different species and varieties drawn and colored from nature: including a copious text giving a popular account of their habits and 1903 New York: Published under the auspices of the Natural Science Association of America, 1903. url p. 135, p. 178.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , , , , .
- The birds of Texas; an annotated check list, Waco, Tex., The University, 1912. url .
- The book of birds, common birds of town and country and American game birds, by Henry W. Henshaw. Illustrated in natural colors with 250 paintings, by Louis Agassiz Fuertes; with chapters of "Encouraging birds around the home, " by F. H. Kennard; "The mysteries of bird migratio 1918 Washington, D. C.: National Geographic Society, 1918. url p. 57.
- The book of birds; common birds of town and country and American game birds, by Henry W. Henshaw; illustrated in natural colors with 250 paintings by Louis Agassiz Fuertes. Washington, D.C., National geographic society url p. 57.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 216.
- The collected scientific papers of the late Alfred Henry Garrod, M.A., F.R.S. / edited, with a biographical memoir of the author, by W.A. Forbes. London: R.H. Porter, 1881. url p. 168, p. 192, p. 531.
- The days of a man, being memories of a naturalist, teacher and minor prophet of democracy. Yonkers-on-Hudson, N.Y.World book company1922 url p. 512.
- The days of a man: being memories of a naturalist, teacher, and minor prophet of democracy / by David Starr Jordan Yonkers-on-Hudson, N.Y.: World Book Co., 1922 url p. 512, p. 592.
- The garden... London, 1872- url p. 214.
- The industries of animals. London, W. Scott, Ltd., 1899. url .
- The naturalist in Vancouver Island and British Columbia London: R. Bentley, 1866. url .
- The resources of California: comprising agriculture, mining, geography, climate, commerce, &c., and the past and future development of the State. New York, A. Roman;1866. url .
- The second book of birds; bird families, by Olive Thorne Miller, with eight colored plates from designs by Louis Agassiz Fuertes, and sixteen other full-page illustrations. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, 1901. url .
- The structure and classification of birds, London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1898. url .
- The woodpeckers, Boston, Houghton, Mifflin and Company, 1901. url .
- The woodpeckers, by Fannie Hardy Eckstorm. Boston andHoughton, Mifflin and company, 1901. url p. 123.
- The woodpeckers. Boston: Houghton, 1901. url p. 123.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 158, p. 56.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 220.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 380, p. 438, p. 524.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 11 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 681.
- University studies of the University of Nebraska. Lincoln. url p. 71.
- Wild flowers of the Pacific coast from original water color sketches drawn from nature / by Emma Homan Thayler. New York: Cassell, c1887. url .
- BirdLife International 2004. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 18, 2008.
- BirdLife International 2004. Melanerpes formicivorus. In: IUCN 2006. 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. www.iucnredlist.org . Downloaded on 21 October 2006.
- BirdLife International 2009. Melanerpes formicivorus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 02February2012.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 and ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 11, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 8 providers.
- Hines, J. E., Gregory Gough, J. R. Sauer, et al. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- NatureServe. 2003. Downloadable animal data sets. NatureServe Central Databases. Accessed February 6, 2005.
- Parker III, T.A., D.F. Stotz, and J.W. Fitzpatrick, and quot;Ecological and Distributional Databases for Neotropical Birds, and quot; in Neotropical Birds: Ecology and Conservation, by D.F. Stotz, T.A. Parker III, J.W. Fitzpatrick, and D.K. Moskovits (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1996). ISBN 0-226-64676-9.
- Peterson, Alan P. Zoological Nomenclature Resource. Accessed June 19, 2009.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- Sauer, J. R., J. E. Hines, and J. Fallon. 2005. The North American Breeding Bird Survey, Results and Analysis 1966 - 2004. Version 2005.2. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
- Sauer, J. R., S. Schwartz, and B. Hoover. 1996. The Christmas Bird Count Home Page. Version 95.1. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 11, 2008:
- Avian Knowledge Network: eBird
- Avian Knowledge Network: Great Backyard Bird Count
- Avian Knowledge Network: Project FeederWatch
- Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds (Aves)
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology: Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History: Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- UCLA-Dickey Bird Collection (UCLA-Dickey): Bird specimens
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM: CNAV/Coleccion Nacional de Aves
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ): Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 11409
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-178190
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2496811
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 178189
- IUCN ID: 222344
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNYF04050
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 13038