Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Bulgarian:
Common Names in Cree:
Miakatu, Miakoto, Miyakatuy
Common Names in Czech:
Mien, Mn, Mnik jednovousá, Mník jednovousý, Mnik jednvousy, Mník obecný
Common Names in Danish:
Ferkskvandskvabbe, Ferskvandskvabbe, Knude, Kvabbe
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
American burbot, burbot, eelpout, ellpout, Freshwater cod, Freshwater eel, Lawyer, Ling, Lush, Maria, Mud shark, Thin-tailed burbot
Common Names in Estonian:
Common Names in Farsi:
Lot, Mahi Charb
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Alote, As, Asé, Barbotte, Bourbotte, Lote, Lotte, Lotte De Rivi, Lotte de rivière, Moustelo, Moutelle, Palmo
Common Names in German:
Aalmutter, Aalpuppe, Aalquappe, Aalraupe, Aalruppe, Aalruppel, Aalrutte, Alroppa, Alroppe, Mooserli, Putaal, Quabbaal, Quabbe, Quappaal, Quappe, Quappen, Ruffolkh, Ruget, Ruppe, Ruthe, Rutte, Schnecktr, Schnecktrüsche, Tr, Treische, Trusche, Wolfsquappe
Common Names in Hungarian:
Common Names in Hungarian (Magyar):
Common Names in Inuktitut:
Nätarrnaq, Nett, Nettârnak, Shulukpaoluk, Tiktaalik, Tiktaaliq, Tiktabek, Tiktailik, Tiktalaq, Tiktalik, Titale, Titalik, Titaliq, Tittaalik
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Korean:
Common Names in Latvian:
Common Names in Lithuanian:
Common Names in Mandarin Chinese:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Other:
Common Names in Persian:
Lot, Mahi Charb
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Donzela, Lota-Do-R, Lota-do-río
Common Names in Prussian, Old:
Common Names in Romanian:
Common Names in Rumanian:
Mântus, Manulet, Midhai, Mihalţ, Mihoarca, Zv, Zvârluga
Common Names in Russian:
Evropeiskiy, Evropeyski nalim, Menek, Nalim, Nalim rechnoi, налим
Common Names in Serbian:
Common Names in Slovak:
Mien, Mien Obycajn, Mien obycajný
Common Names in Slovene:
Common Names in Slovenian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Common Names in Swedish:
Common Names in Ukrainian:
Species Lota lota
and snout: Terminal
and wide and horizontal, with bands
of fine teeth on upper and lower jaws
. Single BARBEL
on chin. Snout
dorsal-ventrally flattened. Body patterning, color, and scales
brown, yellow, or black or darkly mottled
with irregular blotches;
cream or yellow on belly. Numerous
scales, very fine and very difficult
to see except in large specimens; most specimens appear and feel
. Dorsal, tail, and anal fins with brownish speckles, spots,
and/or blotches. Body shape
and size: Body elongated and cylindrical
and eel-like posteriorly but head
area dorsal-ventrally flattened.
Typically 200-400 mm (8-16 in) TL
; maximum in Wisconsin about 800
mm (32 in).
Fins : Tail, dorsal and other fins: Rounded tail. Two dorsal fins, with no spines, not connected, the anterior with 8-16 rays and the posterior with 61-81 rays, extending almost to tail. Pelvic fins jugular with 5-8 rays, the second elongated and conspicuously longer than the others. No adipose fin . Anal fin with 52-76 rays and no spines, extending almost to tail.
Distinguishing characteristics: The burbot can be distinguished by the presence of pelvic fins and a small barbel on the chin, by the long (more than 1/3 of total length) dorsal and anal fins, and the absence of spines in the dorsal and pectoral fins. See also similar species information.
Breeding adults : Similar to adults.
Juveniles : Similar to adults.
May live as long as 20 years in the wild, 5 years in captivity.
The only member of the family which lives in freshwater . Crepuscular and nocturnal . Inhabits deep lakes and large rivers  with slow-moving current . Seeks shelter under rocks, in crevices on the river banks, among roots of trees and dense vegetation . Those in rivers tend to congregate in deep holes throughout the year, except at spawning. Movements into shallower water during summer nights are related to feeding.
Typically found in a lake at a mean distance from sea level of 279 meters (917 feet).
All well oxygenated flowing waters and large lakes . Known from estuaries of large lowland rivers as well as from small mountain streams .
Generally nocturnal . Males reproduce for the first time at two years, females at three in Central Europe. Spawns in November-March, at temperatures below 4°C. May undertake short spawning migrations . Spawns at night, in groups of up to 20 interlaced individuals forming a ball about 60 cm in diameter constantly moving and rolling on the bottom , releasing eggs and sperm . Eggs are semipelagic , slightly sticky and 1.2-1.8 mm in diameter. Eggs hatch after 40-70 days. Larvae are positively phototactic, float below surface in March-April. After about two months, juveniles are benthic , grow rapidly, reach about 80 mm SL within first year. In contrast to most freshwater fish, very active during winter even below ice cover . Larvae feed on drifting invertebrates or zooplankton . Juveniles and adults feed on large invertebrates and small fish..
List of Habitats:
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.1 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Rivers/Streams/Creeks (includes waterfalls )
- 5.5 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Lakes (over 8ha) [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Huxley, 1880
- Class: Actinopterygii () - Huxley, 1880
- Superclass: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Enchelyopus lota (Linnaeus • Gadus compressus Lesueur • Gadus lacustris Walbaum • Gadus lota • Gadus lota Linnaeus • Gadus lota Linnaeus, 1758 • Gadus maculosus Lesueur • Lota brosmiana Storer • Lota brosmina Storer • Lota communis Rapp • Lota compressa (Lesueur • Lota fluviatilis Perty • Lota inornata Dekay • Lota linnei Malm • Lota lota • Lota lota asiatica Kirillov • Lota lota kamensis Markun • Lota lota lacustris (Walbaum • Lota lota leptura Hubbs & Schultz • Lota lota lota (Linnaeus • Lota lota maculosa (Lesueur • Lota lota onegensis Melyantsev • Lota marmorata Koch • Lota vulgaris Fitzinger • Lota vulgaris obensis Anikin • Molva lota (Linnaeus • Molva maculosa (Lesueur
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: Data last modified by FishBase 06-Sep-1994
The genus Lota is in a need of critical revision . Populations from eastern Siberia and North America represent a distinct species, L. maculosa..
Fish Name Pelvic Fins Dorsal and Anal Fins Barbels Similarity Index American Eel Absent Very short, no spines Absent Moderately similar Burbot Present Long (more than 1/3 of total length), no spines One small barbel on chin N/A Channel Catfish Present Rather short with spines Four large barbels on chin and snout respectively Moderately similar Flathead Catfish Present Rather short with spines Four large barbels on chin and snout respectively Moderately similar Blue Catfish Present Rather short with spines Four large barbels on chin and snout respectively Moderately similar
Members of the genus Lota
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 3 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A bibliography of fishes, New York, American Museum of Natural History, 1916-1923. url .
- A bibliography of fishes, by Bashford Dean. .. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1916-1923. url p. 137, p. 137, p. 668.
- A checklist of the vertebrate animals of Kansas / George D. Potts, Joseph T. Collins. [Lawrence, Kan.]: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1991. url p. 28.
- A distributional atlas of Upper Mississippi River fishes / [by] Philip W. Smith, Alvin C. Lopinot [and] William L. Pflieger. Urbana: [s. n.]; 1971. url p. 18, p. 9.
- A guide to the study of fishes, New York, H. Holt, 1905. url , .
- A guide to the study of fishes, by David Starr Jordan. .. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1905. url p. 209, p. 538.
- A history of fishes; illus. by W. P. C. Tenison. New York, A. A. Wyn, 1949. url p. 268.
- A list of common and scientific names of fishes from the United States and Canada. Report presented at the eighty-ninth annual meeting, Clearwater, Fla., Sept. 16-18, 1959. Ann Arbor, Mich., 1960. url p. 22.
- A manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern United States: including the district north and east of the Ozark mountains, south of the Laurentian hills, north of the southern boundary of Virginia, and east of the Missouri river, inclusive of marine species / Chicago:A. C. McClurg, 1916. url .
- A preliminary annotated list of the lampreys and fishes of Illinois. Urbana, 1965. url p. 5.
- A treatise on zoology / edited by E. Ray Lankester. London: A. & C. Black, 1900-1909. url p. 342.
- A treatise on zoology London, A. and C. Black, 1900-1909 url p. 342.
- A treatise on zoology. London, Adam and Charles Black, 1900-1909 url p. 342.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 156.
- Adult and juvenile fish populations near the D.C. Cook Nuclear Power Plant Southeastern Lake Michigan, during preoperational (1973-74) and operational (1975-79) years / Ann Arbor, Mich.: Great Lakes Research Division, the University of Michigan, 1985. url p. 8.
- Adult and juvenile fish, ichthyoplankton and benthos populations in the vicinity of the J. H. Campbell Power Plant, eastern Lake Michigan, 1977 / Ann Arbor, Mich.: Great Lakes Research Division, University of Michigan, 1978. url p. 55.
- Adult, Juvenile, and larval fish populations in the vicinity of the James H. Campbell Plant, 1981: with special reference to the effectiveness of wedge-wire intake screens in reducing entrainment and impringement of fish / Ann Arbor, Mich.: Great Lakes Research Division, University of Michigan, 1982. url p. 54, p. 78.
- Adult, juvenile and larval fish in the vicinity of the J.H. Campbell Power Plant, eastern Lake Michigan, 1978 / Ann Arbor, Mich.: Great Lakes Research Division, University of Michigan, 1979. url p. 333, p. 559, p. 567, p. 568, p. 63.
- Adult, juvenile and larval fish populations in the vicinity of the J.H. Campbell Power Plant, eastern Lake Michigan, 1977-1980 / Ann Arbor, Mich.: Great Lakes Research Division, University of Michigan, 1981. url p. 358, p. 39, p. 42.
- American fishes; a popular treatise upon the game and food fishes of North America, with especial reference to habits and methods of capture, Boston, L. C. Page[c1903]. url .
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url , p. 23.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 385.
- Aquatic community classification and ecosystem diversity in Montana's Missouri River watershed / [Helena, Mont.:Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2005. url .
- Aquatic resources inventory of the Mt. Haggin area / Richard A. Oswald. Bozeman, Mt.: Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks, Region Three, 1981. url p. 16.
- Assessment and requirements of sauger and walleye populations in the lower Yellowstone River and it's [sic] tributaries / by Russell F. Penkal. [Helena?]: Dept. of Fish, Wildlife and Parks,  url p. 8.
- Assessment of the Red Rock River subbasin and wetlands of the Centennial Valley / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2009. url , p. 14.
- Beaverhead River and Clark Canyon Reservoir Fishery Study / Prepared by Fredrick A. Nelson; prepared for U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Reclamation. [Bozeman, Mont.]: Montana Dept. of Fish and Game, [1977?] url p. 102, p. 28.
- Biology of the seas of the U.S.S.R. Translated by S. Botcharskaya. New York, Interscience Publishers url p. 312.
- British reptiles, amphibians, and fresh-water fishes / by W. Percival Westell; illustrated by Doris Meyer. [London]: Chapman & Dodd, [192-?] url p. 103.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 368, p. 452.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 3, p. 30.
- Bulletin of the United States Fish Commission. Washington, The Commission, Govt. Print. Off. url p. 192.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 191, p. 7.
- Camallanata of animals and man and diseases caused by them = Kamallanaty zhivotnykh i cheloveka i vyzyvaemye ime zabolevaniya / V. M. Ivashkin, A. A. Sobolev, and L. A. Khromova; translated from Russian [by Hilary Hardin]. Jerusalem: Israel Program for Scientific Translations, 1977. url p. 28, p. 76.
- Carotenoids, their comparative biochemistry. New York, Chemical Pub. Co., 1954. url p. 203.
- Check list of the fishes of the Dominion of Canada and Newfoundland. Ottawa, Printed by C. H. Parmelee, 1913. url .
- Checklists for the CORINE Biotopes Programme and its application in the PHARE countries of Central and East Europe: including comparisons with relevant conventions and agreements on the conservation of European species and habitats EC url p. 104.
- Clark Fork Basin Project status report and action plan / prepared by Howard E. Johnson, [and] Carole L. Schmidt. Helena, Mont.: Clark Fork Basin Project, Office of the Governor,  url p. 142.
- Commercial fisheries review. [Washington]: National Marine Fisheries Service; [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.] url p. 14, p. 28, p. 4, p. 4, p. 83.
- Compensation in fish populations subject to catastrophic impact / Ann Arbor, Mich.: Great Lakes Research Division, University of Michigan, 1985. url p. 45.
- Crayfish species assemblages in softwater lakes in seven tertiary watersheds in south-central Ontario / report prepared by S. M. David. .. [et al.]. [Toronto]: Ontario, Ministry of Environment and Energy, 1997. url p. 21.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url , p. 139, p. 17, p. 21, p. 230, p. 244, p. 246, p. 248, p. 255, p. 263, p. 267, p. 268, p. 272, p. 273, p. 277, p. 297, p. 302, p. 307, p. 413, p. 425, p. 465, p. 476, p. 533, p. 543, p. 590, p. 626, p. 653, p. 731, p. 732, p. 754, p. 782, p. 839, p. 85.
- Current bibliography for fisheries science. Rome, Biology Branch, Fisheries Division, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. url p. 52, p. 94.
- Dean bibliography of fishes. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1971-1973. url p. 135, p. 169, p. 170, p. 174, p. 185, p. 187, p. 190, p. 193, p. 201, p. 214, p. 217, p. 220, p. 221, p. 222, p. 224, p. 228, p. 230, p. 232, p. 234, p. 236, p. 240, p. 242, p. 253, p. 263, p. 264, p. 267, p. 274, p. 278, p. 281, p. 283, p. 285, p. 289, p. 291, p. 292, p. 297, p. 300, p. 301, p. 303, p. 308, p. 315, p. 319, p. 320, p. 321, p. 322, p. 323, p. 325, p. 328, p. 332, p. 334, p. 338, p. 339, p. 340, p. 392, p. 399, p. 461, p. 464, p. 468, p. 472, p. 476, p. 48, p. 480, p. 489, p. 49, p. 493, p. 496, p. 500, p. 51, p. 512, p. 517, p. 522, p. 540, p. 549, p. 551, p. 556, p. 558, p. 569, p. 573, p. 587, p. 603, p. 617, p. 619, p. 622, p. 629, p. 631, p. 632, p. 640, p. 644, p. 652, p. 659, p. 661, p. 666, p. 669, p. 672, p. 683, p. 707, p. 742, p. 88.
- Distribution, relative abundance and habitat utilization of the arctic grayling (Thymallus arcticus) in the Upper Big Hole River Drainage, Montana, June 21 to August 28, 1989: final report / by Geoffrey A. McMichael for the U.S. Forest Service, Beaverhead National Forest, . .. [et al.] Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url , p. 14.
- Diver assessment of the inshore southeastern Lake Michigan environment near the D.C. Cook Nuclear Plant, 1973-1982 / [Ann Arbor, Mich.]: University of Michigan, [1986?]. url p. 160.
- E. W. Nelson's notes on the Indians of the Yukon and Innoko Rivers, Alaska / edited, with an introd. by James W. VanStone, Curator, North American Archaeology and Ethnology, Field Museum of Natural History. Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1978. url p. 67.
- Ecological animal geography; an authorized, rewritten edition based on Tiergeographie auf ockologischer grundlage / by Richard Hesse. .. prepared by W. C. Allee. .. and Karl P. Schmidt. .. New York: J. Wiley & Sons, Inc.; 1937. url p. 305, p. 341, p. 578.
- Fauna of the U.S.S.R.: Trichoptera. Moskva, Akademiia nauk SSSR. Zoologicheskii Institut, 19-- url p. 167.
- Fertilization in fishes and the problem of polyspermy = Oplodotvorenie u ryb i problema polispermii / by A.S. Ginzburg; edited by T.A. Detlaf. Jerusalem: Israel Program for Scientific Translations, 1972. url p. 133, p. 64, p. 74.
- Field distribution and entrainment of fish larvae and eggs at the Donald C. Cook Nuclear Power Plant, southeastern Lake Michigan, 1980-1982 / Ann Arbor, Mich.: Great Lakes Research Division, the University of Michigan, 1985. url p. 165, p. 30.
- Fish and Wildlife Habitat Changes Resulting from Construction of a Nine-Foot Channel on Pools 24, 25, and 26 of the Mississippi River and the Lower Illinois River, Ft. BelvoirDefense Technical Information CenterAPR 1979. url p. 243, p. 441.
- Fish populations of the wild & scenic Missouri River, Montana / [Helena]: Montana Dept. of Fish, Wildlife & Parks,  url .
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url p. 1057, p. 549, p. 843.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url p. 9.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 102, p. 162, p. 17, p. 21, p. 24, p. 4, p. 7, p. 8.
- Fishery statistics of the United States / prepared by Data Management and Statistics Division. Washington, D.C.: Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service: 1942-1984. url p. 388, p. 390, p. 433, p. 440, p. 445, p. 462, p. 463, p. 496, p. 503, p. 515, p. 552, p. 652, p. 729.
- Fishes in Kansas / Frank B. Cross, Joseph T. Collins; foreword by John E. Hayes, Jr. Lawrence, Kan.: University of Kansas Natural History Museum: c1995. url p. 171, plate 24, p. 311, p. xvi.
- Fishes of Canada's national capital region = Poissons de la région de la capitale du Canada / Ottawa: Dept. of the Environment, Fisheries and Marine Service, 1974. url p. 134, p. 192.
- Fishes of Maine / W. Harry Everhart. Augusta, Me.: Maine Dept. of Inland Fisheries and Game, 1958. url p. 71, p. 93.
- Fishes of northern Ontario, north of the Albany River / Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum, c1964 url p. 18, p. 3.
- Fishes of the world, by Edouard Le Danois, with the collaboration of Jacques Millot, Theodore Monod [and] Paul Budker. With 80 photogravure plates, 30 colour photos., and text illus. Woodstock, Vt., Countryman Press url p. 184, p. 187, p. 28.
- Fishes, New York, H. Holt and Company, 1907. url .
- Fishes, by David Starr Jordan. .. with 18 colored plates and 673 illustrations. .. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1907. url p. 744.
- Fresh-water biology, New York, John Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc., etc.]1918. url .
- Fresh-water biology, by Henry Baldwin Ward and George Chandler Whipple with the collaboration of a staff of specialists. New York, Wiley, 1918. url p. 392.
- Gadiformes (Treskoobraznye). Translated from Russian [by Walter J. Walters with Vladimir Walters] Jerusalem: Israel Program for Scientific Translations, 1962. url p. 122, p. 125, p. 14, p. 15, p. 17, p. 193, p. 206, p. 229, p. 230, p. 267, p. 45.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url p. 166.
- General embryological information service. Utrecht, Hubrecht Laboratory. url p. 71.
- Guide to the British fresh-water fishes exhibited in the Department of Zoology, British Museum (Natural History). London: Printed by order of the Trustees of the British Museum, 1917. url p. 32, p. 38.
- How to collect shells, a symposium. Marinette, Wis.]1961. url p. 42.
- Illinois biological monographs. Urbana, Univ. of Illinois Press. url p. 107, p. 141, p. 238, p. 89.
- Impact of bleached kraft mill effluent (BKME) on fish populations near Terrace Bay, Ontario / prepared for Environment Ontario by M.E. McMaster. [Toronto]: Environment Ontario, . url p. 13.
- Increased levels of harvest and habitat law enforcement and public awareness for anadromous salmonids and resident fish in the Columbia River Basin -- demonstration period, 1992-1994: a comprehensive Columbia Basin cooperative law enforcement program comprised of six performance grants and inter-agency agreements, final report / Portland, OR.: Bonneville Power Administration, 1995. url p. 70.
- Inshore Lake Michigan fish populations near the D.C. Cook Nuclear Power Plant during preoperational years, 1973, 1974 / Ann Arbor, Mich.: Great Lakes Research Division, University of Michigan, 1979. url , p. 44, p. 445, p. 446, p. 447, p. 509, p. 519, p. 522.
- Investigations in fish control. Washington: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. url p. 9.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 503, p. 573.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 15 1995 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 43.
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy, 1998- url p. 126, p. 126, p. 161, p. 184, p. 184, p. 80, p. 82.
- Joy of nature: how to observe and appreciate the great outdoors / [editor, Alma E. Guinness]. Pleasantville, N.Y.: Reader's Digest Association, c1977. url p. 324.
- Mammals of the Soviet Union / V.G. Heptner, A.A. Nasimovich, and A.G. Bannikov; scientific editor, Robert S. Hoffmann. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1988- url p. 297.
- Manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern U.S.. .. inclusive of the marine species. Chicago, McClurg, 1894, c1876-88. url .
- Middle Missouri River native species creel survey: final report: 2005 and 2006 field season / [Helena, MT: Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks, March 2007]. url .
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1967 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 227, p. 344, p. 352, p. 5.
- Monogenetic trematodes: their systematics and phylogeny / by Boris E. Bychowsky; edited by William J. Hargis, Jr.; translated by Pierre C. Oustinoff. Washington, D.C.: American Institute of Biological Sciences, c1961. url p. 363, p. 624.
- Montana's comprehensive fish and wildlife conservation strategy / Helena, Mont.: Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks, 2005 url , , .
- NOAA technical report NMFS SSRF. Seattle, Wash.: National Marine Fisheries Service; url p. 12, p. 13, p. 18, p. 19, p. 20, p. 6.
- North American pseudophyllidean cestodes from fishes. [UrbanaUniversity of Illinois][c1919] url p. 264.
- Ontogeny and systematics of fishes: based on an international symposium dedicated to the memory of Elbert Halvor Ahlstrom / sponsored by the National Marine Fisheries Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, United States Dept. of Commerce. [New York?]: American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists, c1984. url p. 285, p. 295.
- Pamphlets on forestry. Fish and game. [1900?- url p. 2551.
- Pesticides monitoring journal. [Washington, D.C.: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1967-1981. url p. 171.
- Popular natural history: a description of animal life, from the lowest forms up to man / by J. Sterling Kingsley. Boston: Estes & Lauriat, 1890. url p. 311.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 38, p. 39.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of London. London, Published for the Linnean Society of London by Academic Press [etc.], 1848-1968. url p. 22.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 14 1891 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 116, p. 735.
- Proceedings of the third USA-USSR symposium on the effects of pollutants upon aquatic ecosystems. Duluth, Minn.: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1980. url p. 186, p. 196.
- Progress in sport fishery research. Washington, for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1958-1971. url p. 273.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 56.
- Report of the Bureau of Fisheries / Department of Commerce and Labor. Washington: G.P.O., 1905. url p. 172, p. 172, p. 184, p. 184.
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url , , , , , , , , p. 160, p. 182, p. 182, p. 258, p. 258, p. 265, p. 265, p. 266, p. 266, p. 272, p. 272, p. 292, p. 292, p. 301, p. 301, p. 713.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Results of explorations in western Canada and the northwestern United States by Carl H. Eigenmann. Washington: G.P.O., 1894 url .
- Science sketches, Chicago, A. C. McClurg and company, 1896. url .
- Science sketches, by David Starr Jordan. Chicago, A. C. McClurg and company, 1896. url p. 108, p. 128.
- Select aspects of the life history and ecology of the Montana arctic grayling (Thymallus arcticus montanus) [Milner] in the Upper Big Hole River drainage, Montana, June 15 to August 31, 1990: final report / by Jon M. Streu for the U.S. Forest Service, Beaverhead National Forest. .. [et al.]. Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url , p. 5.
- Sensory biology of sharks, skates, and rays / editors Edward S. Hodgson, Robert F. Mathewson. Arlington, Va.: Office of Naval Research, Dept. of the Navy: for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1978. url p. 382.
- Some considerations on the distribution of fishes in Ontario. [Toronto]: Printed by the University of Toronto Press, 1944. url p. 114, p. 7.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 47, p. 657, p. 664, p. 665.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url , , p. 1, p. 103, p. 13, p. 2, p. 2, p. 237, p. 27, p. 4, p. 47.
- Studies of the fish population near the Donald C. Cook Nuclear Power Plant, 1972 / Ann Arbor, Mich.: University of Michigan, Great Lakes Research Division, 1973. url p. 12.
- Studies on Myxosporidia; a synopsis of genera and species of Myxosporidia; with 25 plates and 2 textfigures, by Rokusaburo Kudo. .. Urbana, Ill., University of Illinois, c1920 url p. 107, p. 107, p. 141, p. 141, p. 32, p. 89.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 11, p. 119, p. 250, p. 278, p. 282, p. 3, p. 78, p. 83, p. 9, p. 94.
- The 25 largest un-fragmented wilderness Areas in the Arctic WWF url p. 79.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 251, p. 311, p. 359, p. 375, p. 387, p. 430, p. 431, p. 65, p. 77, p. 9.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , p. 100, p. 122, p. 122, p. 128, p. 129, p. 130, p. 139, p. 141, p. 16, p. 17, p. 170, p. 173, p. 192, p. 218, p. 219, p. 220, p. 224, p. 23, p. 232, p. 237, p. 242, p. 262, p. 268, p. 271, p. 276, p. 309, p. 311, p. 314, p. 320, p. 365, p. 366, p. 368, p. 422, p. 428, p. 431, p. 460, p. 480, p. 495, p. 497, p. 499, p. 502, p. 518, p. 539, p. 59, p. 644, p. 685, p. 695, p. 699, p. 741, p. 775, p. 87, p. 92, p. 95.
- The Cherry collection of Deg Hit'an (Ingalik) material culture / James W. VanStone. Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1996. url .
- The Great Basin naturalist. 47 1987 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 518.
- The Journal of the Cincinnati Society of Natural History. Cincinnati: The Society, 1878/79 [i.e. 1878 or 1879]-1945. url p. 126, p. 168.
- The Myxosporidia, or Psorosperms of fishes, and the epidemics produced by them. By R.R. Gurley. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1894. url , , , p. 156, p. 160, p. 182, p. 258, p. 265, p. 266, p. 292, p. 301, p. 302.
- The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science. Des moines, Iowa: The Academy, [1889-1987] url p. 112.
- The Trematoda of British fishes. London, Sold by B. Quaritch, 1947. url p. 339, p. 350.
- The Wilder quarter-century book: a collection of original papers dedicated to professor Burt Green Wilder at the close of his twenty-fifth year of service in Cornell University (1868-1893) / by some of his former students. Ithaca, NY: Comstock Publishing Co., 1893. url p. 24.
- The biology of the protozoa. Illus. with 223 engravings and 2 col. plates. Philadelphia, Lea & Febiger, 1933. url p. 380.
- The changing Illinois environment: critical trends: technical report of the Critical Trends Assessment Project. Springfield, Ill.: Ill. Dept. of Energy and Natural Resources, 1994. url p. 164.
- The effect of altered streamflow on fish of the Yellowstone and Tongue rivers, Montana / by Allen A. Elser, Robert C. McFarland, Dennis Schwehr; conducted by the Water Resources Division, Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation for the Old West Regional Commission. Helena, Mont.: The Division, 1977. url p. 117, p. 173, p. 175, p. 176.
- The faunal connections between Europe and North America. New York, Wiley url p. 302, p. 333, p. 39.
- The fishes of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the species of fish-like vertebrates found in the waters of North America, north of the Isthmus of Panama / by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum, 1896-1900. url p. 2551.
- The fresh water fishes of New England and those ascending the streams from the sea / by Edward Knobel. Boston: B. Whidden, c1896. url p. 38.
- The freshwater fishes of New Brunswick: a checklist with distributional notes / Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum, 1959. url p. 23, p. 32.
- The freshwater fishes of the British Isles, by C. Tate Regan. .. with twenty-seven figures and thirty-seven plates by the author London, Methuen & Co. Ltd. url p. 218, p. 284.
- The lampreys and fishes of Indiana / [S.S. Gorby]. Indianapolis: Wm. B. Burford, 1894. url p. 292, p. 293.
- The papillose Allocreadiidae; a study of their morphology, life histories, and relationships, Urbana, Ill., University of Illinois, 1934 url p. 15.
- The standard natural history. Boston, S. E. Cassino and Company, 1884-85. url , .
- The vertebrate fauna of Cheshire and Liverpool Bay / London: Witherby, 1910. url p. 208, p. 54.
- Timber management: a programmatic environmental analysis record for BLM-administered lands in western Oregon / Office, 1974 url p. 55.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 114, p. 136, p. 152, p. 167, p. 81, p. 83, p. 94.
- Transactions. Columbus, Ohio [etc.] url p. 198.
- Trematodes of the Pacific Northwest, an annotated catalog [by] Ivan Pratt [and] James E. McCauley. Corvallis, Oregon State University Press url p. 16, p. 24, p. 25, p. 66.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 17 1966 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 153, p. 154, p. 401, p. 565, p. 646, p. 75, p. 80.
- Veröffentlichungen der Zoologischen Staatssammlung München. München: Die Staatssammlung, url p. 76.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Abteilung für Anatomie und Ontogenie der Tiere Jena [Germany]:G. Fischer, c -1993. url p. 559.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Freyhof, J. & Kottelat, M. 2008. Lota lota. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 01February2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 18, 2007:
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, MCZ Fish Collection
- Royal Ontario Museum, Fish specimens
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Swedish Board of Fisheries
- - National Register of Survey testfishing
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Swedish Board of Fisheries
- - Swedish Electrofishing Registry
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Biological Records Centre - Database for the Atlas of Freshwater Fishes
- University of Minnesota Bell Museum of Natural History, Fish specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 131087
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Fis-22890
- Fishbase Species ID: 310
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 164725
- IUCN ID: 220475
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: AFCMA01011
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 15025
- Keith, P., J. Allardi and B. Moutou (1992). Livre rouge des espèces menacées de poissons d'eau douce de France et bilan des introductions. Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle. Secretariat de la Faune et de la Flore, Conseil Supérieur de la Peche, CEM ... [back]
- Page, L.M. and B.M. Burr (1991). A field guide to freshwater fishes of North America north of Mexico. Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston. 432 p. [back]
- Billard, R. (1997). Les poissons d'eau douce des rivières de France. Identification, inventaire et répartition des 83 espèces. Lausanne: Delachaux & Niestlé, 192p. [back]
- Morrow, J.E. (1980). The freshwater fishes of Alaska. University of. B.C. Animal Resources Ecology Library. 248p. [back]
- Scott, W.B. and E.J. Crossman (1973). Freshwater fishes of Canada. Bull. Fish. Res. Board Can. 184:1-966. [back]
- Standard Deviation = 260.120 based on 10,369 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- Freyhof, J. & Kottelat, M. 2008. Lota lota. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 01 February 2012. [back]